Notepad++ Logo

Open-source and multilingual source code editing software

Notepad++ Reviews - Page 7

1,952 reviews

Lillian G.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

A different but complete editor

Backing for composing program law, when a dedicated dev landscape is out of the financial plan. Supports various dialects. It permits us to snappily identify and alter the validated line. It permits working with numerous lines open in various tabs however in a solitary window. It assists us with editing and viewing course book lines.

Pros

Genuinely simple to use because of its interface or landscape, supplanting reading material parts; what's more, it's not difficult to recognize your law with colors and without a doubt autocomplete ideas grounded on the language you pick in the improvement menu. My beloved thing about this program is the ability to fluidly choose and alter the important source ordinances I really want.

Cons

Actually, nothing, in a real sense preferred everything particularly the reality it works with so various dialects and is confusing. When taking care of authentically huge volumes of information some time its giving issues.

PT

Philip T.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Simple code editor with nice colour-coded syntax highlighter

I've used notepad++ for many years, ever since my first trip into html coding, and have always found it to be perfect for editing code without all of the bells and whistles offered by other editors. I also like the fact that it saves compliant code, so your file won't be corrupted by the apps formatting.

Pros

I like notepad++ because it is very lightweight and simple if you just need to open code and edit it without all of the bells and whistles. It's compliant, so the file you save will not be corrupted.

Cons

I find the software to be simple and easy to navigate but the GUI is a little dated. This isn't really an issue though as it remains familiar and avoids having to re-learn where things are.

emiliano g.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Editor di codice leggero, semplice e completo

Riesco a editare qualsiasi codice sorgente html, asp, cs, js, file di testo, csv, etc con facilita e velocità

Pros

Facilita d'uso e strumenti molto completi e configurabili all'esigenza nonostante le leggerezza. Possibilità di aggiungere una vasta gamma di plugin

Cons

Mancanza di un plugin per l'ftp dei file integrato ad un file manager oppure alla cartelle workspace

Showing original review in Italian. See translation

TT

Tresa T.

Media Production, self-employed

Notepad ++ My Favorite Tool

Excellent! I love using Notepad++ if I don't need to keep images with my doc then I use Notepad++.

Pros

It's my favorite tool as I use it everyday ... when I copy notes in plain text. It's fast to pull up and use (unlike getting MS Word to fire up). The numbered row column on the left is a necessary feature (unlike the standard Notepad tool which doesn't give the numbered rows) makes it easy for creating html pages and other note-taking uses.

Cons

This is not the fault of Notepad++ but with Microsoft on my laptop. I wish I could fix my issue that the .txt file will not preview on my screen sidebar when I click on the file - so I can quickly view the document. If Notepad++ knows of this issue, it would be real handy to understand how to fix this and have this available in their help files. As it is, I have to literally open the .txt doc to see if it's what I needed. But no issues from Notepad++.

MB

Michael B.

Computer Software, self-employed

Relatively simple tool that does what it does extremely well

I have tested many more modern editors over the decade and I have not yet found one to displace Notepad++ as my everyday editor. I do most of my programming work with it (at least those that do not involve a single multiple-file project such as Laravel & Symfony; there are better tools for those).

Pros

I have been using Notepad++ for more than a decade. I originally chose this for the option to integrate scripting languages (specifically python) to provide additional functionality. This is something that was very lacking in the competition at the time. The main advantage though for me is that it is a robust editor that is not project-driven. There are alternatives such as Visual Studio Code which have more features but they are all centered around projects and do not work well with individual files and directories.

Cons

It lacks many of the more-modern features of current editors.

TW

Troy W.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Notepad++ is Second to None

Notepad++ is amazing, and I've been using it for many years. There's nothing even close to it, much less close to it and free.

Pros

Notepad++ is extremely feature-rich for a text-editor, including showing line numbers, intellisense, text searching, open recent files, and many many more. One of my favorite features is the ability to search for text within files, which is extremely useful. Not to mention that this software is free. Also, especially considering how feature-rich Notepad++ is, it's actually very easy to use. An example is that there's a menu item at the top name "search" for the different types of searching which is very easy to find, instead of having to go into an 'edit' menu, then a submenu.

Cons

Usually with software, no matter how good, there's always something that can be easier or better. I really can't think of a single thing I'd change about Notepad++.

Taylor B.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

My go-to text editing application

I use this software everyday. Edit code, compare files, column editing modes, to format old SQL that was written by past employees that had sloppy formatting. It is amazing and it's free.

Pros

Lots of helpful plugins. Compare files. SQL formatter. Syntax highlighting for all coding languages. Column editing modes.

Cons

What is there not to like about free software that does everything I need it to?

Ravikumar K.

Consumer Services, 10,001+ employees

Notepad++ Review

It is being used mostly by developers for editing, debugging, compiling, completing the code.

Pros

I like Version control, Built in debugger, the compiler, more over the GUI which is very neat and simple.

Cons

I think logs can be maintained well and should have all the information

Siraj W.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Notepad++ An Efficient and Fast Text Editor !

Notepad++ is light weight application for text/code editing. It is well suited for developers it can help in code editing, notes taking, analysis and some other tasks. The find/replace feature is good and i use sometimes find in files option which help me find the desired text/code portion in various files. It does not support formatting so it is not replacement of word processor. Also it is not Integrated Development Environment so it cannot compile your code. Awesome tool !

Pros

Fast and light weight application. Autosaves keep files temporarily, if computer crashes data will be safe. Supports macros and plugins. More than 60 programming / scripting languages are supported. User Interface is easy to use. Free and open source software. Simple to use and easy to learn.

Cons

It is good for opening small sized files but needs to improve opening huge sized files. There is No folder view for entire projects. The User Interface is very outdated needs improvements.

JR

Jose Ramón L.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Simple and powerful text editor for development

I use it with PHP, Javascript, HMTL, SQL and regular text. The edition is easy, it helps me with the syntax and sometimes allows me to find errors with codification

Pros

Easy and powerful. Continously getting better. It supports a lot of languages and allowes me to be more productive while developing

Cons

The software fulfills my expectatives. I have no cons. I am sure it has lots of functionalities than I don't use and could help me, but I have no time to research

SR

Sandra R.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Simple Tool for Scripting - Notepad++

Overall, Notepad++ is a great tool for editing and scripting and a must-have tool for everyone. It is a lightweight and easy-to-use tool for beginners.

Pros

Notepad++ is a scripting tool that a user can edit and configure easily. It is easy to install and work with. The key advantage of this tool is detecting the languages of the script and highlighting code syntax which helps beginners and also supports different file types. Comparison of different versions of code allows the user to find bugs easily.

Cons

While processing huge files, Notepad++ performance is not appreciable. It would be good if the UI could be improved. Need more improvements in debugging.

SA

Sara A.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Notepad++ you must have installed it on your pc

Really useful, I always have Notepad++ installed on my computers

Pros

I use Notepad++ in many ways. First of all is an excellent text editor and keeps saved your tabs without the risk of information loss (I mean for example you write some notes and then you close the program. Next time you'll launch it you will find those notes). You can save you files choosing from a wide set of extension. Then it has a lot of features that help me e.g. to transform data files in a readable way for humans (just think about the search and replace, the decode function...). Plus it runs fast and never hangs. The italian version is well translated, without any weird terms :-) I highly recommend Notepad++

Cons

Often when i just want to open notepad, notepad will be selected first (not a problem!)

Kevin W.

Retail, 10,001+ employees

If you've used Notepad in the last month, replace it with Notepad++ and never look back

I've used the regular built-in Notepad forever. It's already in Windows, so it's great to scratch down a quick note or view the occasional txt, bat, or csv file. Notepad++, though, can do all that plus a million more things. Let me say, I'm not a real software developer, so I can't speak to most of these more advanced functions. I have used this software for Python scripts and VBA, however, and I love...

Pros

It's a small lightweight program, so it loads super quick. You're able to install add-ins for additional niche functions

Cons

Not as full-featured as a full-functioned SDE.

TA

Temesgen A.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

excellent code editor

I have been using Notepad++ for a few months now and I am very pleased with the results. It is a great code editor that is lightweight and feature-rich. The syntax highlighting and code completion are especially helpful while coding in various languages. The tabs make it easier to switch between multiple documents quickly, and the search and replace feature is incredibly useful. The customization options are great as well; you can customize the look and feel of the interface to suit your needs. Overall, Notepad++ is an excellent code editor and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an easy-to-use, feature-rich code editor.

Pros

I really appreciate how user-friendly this software is. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, and it makes completing tasks much simpler and faster. The features are great too - they are comprehensive, and the help guides are very helpful. Overall, I think this software is a great choice for anyone looking for a reliable and efficient solution.

Cons

I found that the user interface was a bit clunky and could have been designed better. It was difficult to navigate and find the features I needed. However, I'm sure with a few updates and improvements, the software will become much more user-friendly and enjoyable to use.

RB

Robert B.

Computer Software, self-employed

Notepad++ is THE editor for Windows

It does what I want in a very lightweight way without bloat.

Pros

Just a text editor with some QoL and doesn't try to do everything. Syntax highlighting and language support without any configuration.

Cons

It doesn't come default in Windows. Seriously, this should be the standard out of the box solution for Windows.

Logistics and Supply Chain, 11-50 employees

Notepad++ Una herramienta de edición de texto imprescindible para programadores y escritores

Pros

Estoy encantado con notepad++, incluyen su interfaz de usuario intuitiva y personalizable, su capacidad para manejar múltiples archivos y lenguajes de programación, su amplia gama de funciones y herramientas de edición de texto, y su naturaleza de código abierto que permite una gran flexibilidad y personalización. Es ligero y rápido, consume pocos recursos, lo cierras y me es muy útil la función que hace que cuando lo abres conserva la nota que has escrito y lo más importante es gratis

Cons

No le encuentro puntos que no me gusten de Notepad++ hace mas de cuatro años que lo uso como editor predeterminado,

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

MR

Miangaly R.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Meilleur logiciel de gestion de code source

Pros

J'utilise Notepad ++ quasiment tous les jours pour écrire/développer en SQL ou autre. Le fait de pouvoir choisir le langage est un gros plus car il permet tout de suite de "voir" le code. Super aussi niveau sauvegarde : même si j'éteins mon ordinateur ou ferme l'application, dès que je la relance, tous mes onglets sont toujours là Pratique également pour comparer 2 fichiers de code et trouver la différence

Cons

Toutes les fonctionnalités ne sont pas très bien optimisé en affichage dark, notamment la fonctionnalité Compare : si il y a une différence entre 2 fichiers de code, elle est surlignée mais illisible

Showing original review in French. See translation

Information Technology and Services, self-employed

Notepad++: an Ultimate Text Editor!

Writing source codes has never been this easy if not without the help of Notepad++. The software has saved me from cluttered mess we always do when programming, thus, it's easier to read and debug the source codes which make it really an efficient tool! Notepad++, even though it was just a free application, can totally equaled to the costly software when it comes to serving its purpose as a powerful text editor!

Pros

I primarily used Notepad++ as a source code editor since way back in my college days for it was so simple, user-friendly, the customizable interface that is so superb, featured syntax highlighting and that multiple language and plugins support! In overall, it'll provide its users with a great platform for program coding and other text editing related needs.

Cons

While some may thought that the UI is a bit outdated, it is totally fine with me as long as it do its purpose very well.

Tércio Y.

Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

A great text editor

It s a great and efficient text editor, on the other hand, for source code editing I believe that there are better options, even for free. This is my first choice when editing text, or editing only minor pieces of code.

Pros

It is free, yet a very powerful text editor. This is one of the tops of mind text editor, no doubts about that. It has a very lightweight and clean interface, supporting 32 and 64 bits OS. The NP++ community is big, so you can easily get support. The editor can be loaded with very handy plugins. The software is often updated with fixes and improvements. For those who want to use it as a code source editor, it features syntax highlighting and folding, regular expression search and much more.

Cons

The 64 bits version does not have as many plugins as the 32 bits, and it is only supported in Windows. Some features that are supported through plugins should come with Notepad++ out-of-box.

Chris J.

Human Resources, 51-200 employees

Great lightweight text editor

I've really enjoyed using Notepad++. It is very lightweight and I've had no issues loading any kind of file. I would recommend this to anyone.

Pros

I really enjoy using Notepad++. It is very lightweight and loads files very quickly. It is also customizable with macros that speed up your development. When editing HTML you also have the option to load the files directly in various browsers which saves some steps. It also is amazing at showing special characters (tabs, LF, etc...). This helps debug things like whether you are using a tab or spaces. Notepad++ supports tons of different development languages and has addons you can install to further

Cons

It isn't as customizable as some other text editors. This can slow down your development time because you can't customize your keys. Macros do help with that but I would like some further customizability.

AK

Andrew K.

Publishing, self-employed

Notepad++ is Reliable and Intuitive

It is the main tool I use when working with raw data or XML. I have used it for years and I am very satisfied.

Pros

Notepad++ is intuitive. I work in EDI and use it on a regular basis. I view/edit EDI raw data and XML mostly. The ability to view documents side by side, the quick search and replace/count/mark items and the clean interface make my job so much easier. Everything works the way you expect it to save it is very stable.

Cons

I imagine improvements can be made for anything in this world but for my purposes, I am happy with the existing features. If there is one thing, it may be useful to include detailed descriptions for each plugin on the Plugins Admin. Some of the descriptions are sufficient but others are vague and could use a brief explanation of features.

MW

Michael W.

Broadcast Media, 11-50 employees

The best IDE editor

Overall this program is a staple in my daily use. It's a must have for anyone that is a programmer.

Pros

I have used many IDE editors to edit and write code. NotePad++ is fastest, the UI is great. It's free to use. It's also open-source with some great plugins. You can't ask for more

Cons

The downside is NotePad++ is not supported on Linux which I have as OS on my laptop.

Mental Health Care, 51-200 employees

The go-to editor for Human-readable text

I was using paid language editors before I found this software. This gives me as much edit/search capabilities as all those paid solutions.

Pros

This is the software to use when one needs to edit their human-readable text, across all languages, with easy, efficiency and a lot of customization to feel right at home.

Cons

There is nothing negative to say about this software

Savindya A.

Information Technology and Services, 1,001-5,000 employees

Notepad++ review

Overall experience is very good. Can extend user experience by adding more useful pluggins

Pros

- Support several programming languages (almost 80 : supports for their syntax highlighting , syntax folding, auto-completion and all these are customizable) - present online help (user manual, online chat, documentation,chat room) - smaller program size and higher execution speed (fast) - features can be extended with plugins which can be added and removed without hassle via plugins admin (can develop own pluggins) - several text translations are available to translate default English to one's native language - ability to set various themes (formatting and color codes) - good editing and searching features along with auto saving documents

Cons

- only able to run in windows environment - accessing features is bit difficult even though many features are available

Nachiket P.

Management Consulting, 10,001+ employees

Notepad++ - Most simplified IDE for Corporates

My overall experience with Notepad++ has been really good. It is great for beginner programmers providing simplistic UI-UX for coding. Notepad++ has been a great support for the team considering the fact that we have more than 1 lakh lines of code for every one of our applications, and we can keep open all the files at ease and edit these as and when required in no time without any lag. Notepad++ has proved to be an efficient and fast tool.

Pros

The best thing I like about Notepad++ is its simplicity and speed. As a part of the Product team at ZS, we create mini-code snippets in Python for incremental functionalities which we deem important for incorporation into our pre-existing products. Notepad++ is very simple to use with minimal UI-UX complexities, and one needs to simply select the language and start coding. Also, Notepad++ opens up as many tabs as required simultaneously, and provides the option of two panes to compare codes which are simply great

Cons

Notepad++ has become a bit archaic as compared to other IDEs available in the market like MicroVisual Studio Code and Pycharm (specific to Python). These have capabilities to auto-recommend the parameters required for input in a function (with the datatype required) and also provide direct links to redirect to the function from wherever it is called. These are some features that Notepad++ lacks currently, and can be considered for inclusion.