Adobe Captivate Logo

Smart authoring tool with VR and 360° eLearning design

Adobe Captivate Reviews - Page 2

Josh Y.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

A powerful player in the e-learning arena

While I am just jumping into the platform as my current job requires it over other software platforms, I am impressed. Having used the entire Adobe CC and other e-learning software, this platform is not difficult to transition into.

Pros

Having used many products for developing e-learning, Captivate is among the top-tier development programs but has a high cost to entry. The platform is powerful and has a lot of nuances that allow for digging deep into options for developing truly custom courses and user experiences.

Cons

While you can dig deeply into advanced interactions, data reporting, etc, the learning curve is immense to begin to understand elements such as advanced actions, keywords, etc. Variables become buried and are not as easy to manipulate as in Articulate Storyline, but they are buried for very good reason in that you can actually do more in Captivate than with its rival program with such features. If I am to further nitpick, I am not excited by the filmstrip display for slide storyline. This is a feature I love in Articulate's e-learning in that non-linear branching is highly encouraged whereas the linear filmstrip does little to entice users to develop complex learning opportunities, reinforcing the linear death by slides commonly seen in virtual learning.

ES

Ezzy S.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 employees

Adobe Captivate - What you'd expect from an Adobe product

I've authored over 300 courses with Adobe Captivate in the last 6 years and overall, I'm very satisfied with the product. For all its faults, it's really forced me outside my box and helped me learn a lot about instructional design.

Pros

Adobe Captivate allows you to author amazing and beautiful coursework if you don't mind spending a little extra time to learn some coding. The product is fairly intuitive and it has a lot of capabilities. It's a very deep and robust product.

Cons

To really get the best out of Captivate, you do need to spend quite a lot of time learning about creating variables, some beginner coding, and occasionally some javascript. You can make the program do whatever you want, but it takes a lot of patience and, sometimes, some wonky workarounds.

TB

Timothy B.

Computer Software, self-employed

Review Adobe Captivate

Charm may be an extraordinary apparatus for making substance from scratch intended for utilizing in a responsive plan. This is often one of my go-to apparatuses when this specific situation exists. Captivate's responsive plan alternative and the wide extend of devices make the application an amazing option for a portable plan. In spite of having a PowerPoint moment and change alternative, Charm is not the instrument to utilize when beginning with substance made in PowerPoint. Slides are imported as a single picture, evacuating activitys, and any capacity to alter the substance.

Pros

reasonable with more highlights than competitors and simple to utilize as well with capable highlights. Adobe Charm may be a full-featured writing apparatus, advertising clients a wide extend of intelligently and instructive instruments. Adobe Master applications exceed expectations by providing you most of the alternatives merely need and more than you need. Captivate offers live creating in a responsive plan. This includes is basic as we see to create more substance for utilizing over portable devices. Captivate coordinating consistently with the other Adobe Inventive Suite devices that we utilize. We combine PhotoShop, Gymnastic performer, and Fascinate to form a few astounding learning instruments.

Cons

Adobe battles in its client back. Learned Fascinate back specialists to educate and troubleshoot would hoist this capable tool. As versatile learning ventures absent from Streak, creating entirely in HTML5 could be a getting to be a must. Fascinate has an HTML5 examiner to audit your extend for potential flash-based issues, but advancement in HTML5 as it were isn't as natural. I squander profitable time and exertion making alterations after the truth.

MM

Michelle M.

Insurance, 10,001+ employees

Excellent tool for measuring learners!

This is the current default learning software for our company. It allows us to deploy learning for graded content, KC questions, videos, slides with on screen text to teach a topic, etc. There is always a new trick or tool we can add to our style of learning and there are several tutorial videos to assist with new features. Also, when Flash was no longer supported in browsers, Captivate made it easy to identify parts of the module where a feature might be affected.

Pros

Enjoy the ability to easily duplicate slides, set up multiple master slides for easy formatting content, make small audio edits in a file and preview/play the on screen animations/timing. Also, so many features for reporting and advanced actions to set up specific scenarios based on the desired result.

Cons

Vectors were a nice touch to easily add to slides. However, the vector images "flash" often when published and are very difficult to locate based on their current naming convention. Also, I would like the option to easily change a slide from a Knowledge Check question to/from a Graded Quiz question.

E-Learning, 501-1,000 employees

Feature-Rich Design and Development

I've preferred Captivate to Storyline throughout my career. Most orgs seem to lean toward Storyline because the UI is so similar to working in PowerPoint. I definitely prefer the more robust feature set that gets quality, regular updates/enhancements that comes with Captivate.

Pros

The ongoing updates and upgrades continue to make this software easier to use for those new to it, and also expedites building many of the interactions. Really enjoy the Assets feature as well when looking to switch things up a little - really helps with inspiration and new ideas. The online community is also really great with supporting each other and lending new ideas. The different preview options that are built in are fantastic and load so much faster than Storyline.

Cons

There are still a lot of work-arounds needed for some interaction types to meet digital accessibility needs, but that's to be expected with almost any software. When capturing video, you cannot capture device audio.

Paul W.

E-Learning, self-employed

Adobe Captivate is the Cornerstone of My eLearning Business

I started using Adobe Captivate with version 2. It was okay but obviously there was room for it to improve. At the time of writing this review, Captivate is on version 11 and it has matured into a robust solution. I will continue to use it for all my professional eLearning work for as long as they continue to make it available.

Pros

I have been using Adobe Captivate since the mid-2000s. Each release has brought new and innovative features that allow me to continue to impress my clients. Features like virtual reality and interactive video make Adobe Captivate the industry leader in eLearning Authoring tools

Cons

A complicated piece of software means that the learning curve is steep but the reward is that in return it does so much.

CC

Carl C.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Creating "how to videos" for enterprise learning

This is a very functional application for making videos. I prefer it versus tools like Camtasia when making instructional videos.

Pros

Easy to segment video into pieces. Imagine using Power Point slides but each slide contains video/sound. Much easier to manage than other tools that record straight through. You can record each segment, apply graphic elements as desired. It integrated easily with other Adobe audio products for enhanced audio editing. Captivate does include limited audio editing tools, just enough to be handy.

Cons

I found the application would crash every now and then. Nothing I could not work around, but strange to have to experience that in today's world.

CF

Calum F.

Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Great for basic eLearning - but not the best

It's good. I spent around 2 years using Captivate as my only tool for eLearning development. I now use Articulate Storyline 360 as my main tool, but have dipped back in to Captivate for features such as the screen recording

Pros

Having come into the eLearning world as a Flash developer, it was so easy to use. If you have nay background in Flash, or any basic programming knowledge, it is highly transferable to the way that Adobe have built captivate. Screen recording feature that captures mouse clicks etc.

Cons

It's just too complicated. Steep learning curve which was difficult for me when trying to train new employees how to use Captivate to develop eLearning. Impossible to train SME's to use for storyboarding etc in a way that has any return on the time that would need to be spent training them (in fairness, they do have the storyboard add on for this function). In comparison to an alternative such as...

Jose Manuel F.

Telecommunications, 1,001-5,000 employees

Used other for 2+ years

Muy caro y no está a la altura de otras herramientas de Adobe

En su momento nos ayudó a obtener lo que necesitábamos pero hoy en día habiendo en el mercado otras opciones incluso en la nube ya no lo usamos. El software se actualizaba con muy poca frecuencia, tardaron mucho en hacerlo responsive y en opciones estaba más limitado que su competencia en el momento.

Pros

En su momento lo que más me gustó era el poder crear contenidos SCORM para nuestra plataforma de formación y así poder obtener trazabilidad de los usuarios.

Cons

Es poco intuitivo, es muy caro, además cada año sacaban una actualización y había que pagarla por lo que el soporte de lo invertido era muy bajo, además las actualizaciones no iban al mismo ritmo que el resto de app de la compañía. También porque trabajaban con Adoble Flash Player y tardaron mucho en incorporar soporte para HTML5 por lo que muchos ordenadores con los que contábamos en las tiendas de la empresa no podían ver los cursos al eliminar Flash Player.

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

CW

Catherine W.

Automotive, 201-500 employees

Authoring Tool with a Twist

My overall experience so far is positive. We are developing eLearning modules using the interactive tools found in Captivate. So far, the video formatting, audio (speech-to-text) function, and responsive project mode are my biggest positives.

Pros

Adobe's new version of Captivate (2019) is a fantastic authoring tool for the right user. I say that because the user must be competent on various computer applications and willing to spend some extra time learning! I have used many authoring tools, but this one has made me slow down and rethink some of the methods I use for development. It is not easy, but when you learn to set it up correctly, the functionality is amazing! I'm referring mostly to the responsive projects that are scalable for desktop, tablet, and mobile devices. This is a wonderful feature, but takes quite a bit of time to learn.

Cons

The biggest consideration I have found is the amount of time I have had to spend learning the program. Once understood, I have been able to make progress, but this is not a two or three week project...give yourself more time.

Souleymane D.

Mining & Metals, 5,001-10,000 employees

The software for content creation and training simulation.

Adobe Captivate is the software that has helped me as an assistant trainer in my training and learning activities.

Pros

One of the features that I like is the recording of demonstrations. You can record screen demonstrations to show learners how to perform certain tasks.

Cons

The feature that I like the least is the limited range of interactivity options. I feel that they could have added more functionality to provide greater diversity in interactive elements.

Insurance, 1,001-5,000 employees

Terrific training tool

Using this I have been able to set up tests and quiz for our training sessions. Its also let me create video presentations which automates some of our new hire training. You have to put in some time and learn it to get the most out of it but once you do that, its very powerful.

Pros

It is very robust and has a ton of features. You can create some really impressive training modules with this. We have been using this for a little while now to train our new hires on policies and process. I really like that once you get the hang of this, you can create very professional looking training material with it. It lets you embed videos, images and docs into your module pretty seamlessly. You can include your branding (which was a big deal for us) and colors. You can even include your Voice over if you want to. Using this I have created Quiz, Presentations and video guides. And they all looked fantastic.

Cons

Like a lot of other Adobe softwares (at least in my experience) it can be a little daunting to get started with. There is a lot you can do with it but you have to invest some time to get the most out of it. I really wish Adobe would figure out how to simplify the usage and work flow for newcomers.

CR

CHRISTY R.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Good for developing elearning

I'm happy with this software. It allows me to easily import PowerPoint slides, develop elearning courses from scratch, and record audio. I have continued to use it over competing applications because it's so easy to use.

Pros

Captivate is pretty easy to learn. I pretty much taught myself how to use it and don't have any big issues with it. I like that it publishes directly into Adobe Captivate Prime (our LMS). There are quite a few nice features that get added with each upgrade.

Cons

Sometimes the software crashes. I have to work with big files on my desktop rather than on my network drive. I had some files become corrupt from the application freezing. It would be nice if Adobe gave free upgrades rather than charging to upgrade every couple years. I would also like to have more pre-built templates for gaming. Most of the options available aren't ideal.

FM

Felix Manuel M.

Mining & Metals, 11-50 employees

Adobe Captivate saves time and money for you and your company

Since 2012 I'm using Captivate for make all the documentation and instruction manual for many software or website I've developed or I collaborated with, saving me and the companies a lot of time and troubles. This is very recommended for freelance developers and companies as well (companies of any kind that have employees using any software).

Pros

This software save you a lot of time on making your software documentation and/or how to teach the final user to use the software or website they need to do their work. Remember, “A picture is worth a thousand words”, and I think a video is worth a thousand pictures. This is special useful on companies that have many employees, or with employees distributed for all the country/world. Companies that needs to take working the new employees as soon as possible, with a minimum loss of time on teaching him/her the new employee on how to use the software needed for their job.

Cons

In my special case, I need to complement this software with one video-editing software, for take more advantage and do more things that final user of my software/web very appreciate. However, Captivate works just fine by itself.

SM

Sarah M.

Public Safety, 201-500 employees

PDF READER FOR DUMMIES

I use this program on a regular basis in order to sign documents that need to be electronically transferred. It saves time and saves paper to where you do not have to go printing stuff off. It can be easy to use for the most part. This program is very simple and usually comes on most PC computers. I use it a lot to read PDF files as well.

Pros

This program is very easy to use and is very common so if you don't even know how to do something on it you can usually Google it and figure it out. You can use it to read over and view stuff as well - the stuff that websites put in for additional documents.

Cons

Sometimes the program will freeze up which can get really annoying and sometimes the fields that you are trying to write your documents on won't work.

AM

Alisa M.

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Almost non-existent customer support

Pros

It contains all the functions that we need.

Cons

Customer support is non-existent. The automatic bot will chat with you for a bit then maybe a CS person will send you a link to their help page. If you need more help, they will schedule a call with you and never show up. Customer Service outsourced to India.

AW

Alan W.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

You can do anything with it, but it takes lots of time.

I liked the software but I didn't like how long I had to spend on each project. What I did like was the versatility to do literally anything I wanted. I never had a challenge I could not find a solution! The problem was that finding that solution oftentimes meant a whole lot of research and contacting Adobe was just not something I found easy or convenient to do. They do have a lot of users though that were very open to helping when you reached out...and I did that often.

Pros

Variables that I could assign and use in the course.

Cons

It was very labor-intensive. Although you could do anything, it just took a lot of time. Especially if the course needed to be available on multiple platforms, such as desktops, tablets, and mobile.

SK

Sameer K.

E-Learning, 10,001+ employees

Best tool for simulation and VR modules

Captivate is the best for simulation as compared to any other tool in the market. It the only tool which having 360 interactive output and can implement lots of things which will be in another tool in future.

Pros

There is no match for this tool for simulation of any website of the software. Now it's including a fluid box for responsive design and it works really well on different sized devices. We used to develop content for pure HTML 5 output and it output file works without any flash support.

Cons

Sometimes it becomes stuck when we try to insert assets from the library even if the RAM is 8GB. Other than that it is the best tool available in the market place.

SHUBHAM V.

Information Technology and Services, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Streamline your LMS with an advanced learning tool from Adobe.

Captivate is feature-rich & based on latest technology, it's better than any other LMS tool in the market.

Pros

We can easily convert our existing webinars & PowerPoint presentations into courses & onboarding walkthroughs thanks to Captivate. Learning Management is the spine of any Organization & Captivate is the tool that ensures that all employees are constantly learning and evolving. Managers at each level can track the progress using 360 degree dashboards.

Cons

Captivate is not an easy tool. Administrators will need a lot of trainings and hands on before they can fully utilize this product to it's real potential.

DS

Dave S.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 10,001+ employees

Create online training content that's great with Adobe Captivate

I used Adobe Captivate to create and product online training courses for our company's online university. The software was detailed with a number of features, but something I was able to teach myself...very helpful considering I did not have an IT or software writing background.

Pros

After a normal learning curve, it's relatively easy to use to create content. I used it to create online training courses for a learning management system, and it really made our otherwise serviceable (but not too exciting) PowerPoint slides truly come to life! The software is powerful with what seems to be unlimited options for creativity.

Cons

As with probably any software worth anything, there's a bit of a learning curve to learn some of the tips and tricks for effective use. Where to find the various features is not always super-intuitive, but it's something I was able to work through.

Law Enforcement, 51-200 employees

Easy to Use, Cost to Unlock Features

Overall, I am satisfied with the software. The ease of use is outstanding even for the not so computer savvy person.

Pros

This software is very easy to use. It is used by thousands of other clients and is the default for many programs. It installs quickly and the interface is easy to use.

Cons

The biggest downfall of this software is that it cannot be edited without purchasing. Being a program that is so widely used, the editing features should be free of charge.

RG

Rachel G.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Long time user

Captivate is a great tool. From a layout perspective it simply wasn't as intuitive as Storyline. However it's been a few years since I've used it last so perhaps this has improved.

Pros

This software is a great instructional design tool. Having used it since its inception (RoboDemo) I have seen it evolve a lot over the years. Nothing negative

Cons

Nothing negative. Simply I switched over to Storyline and found it way easier to use for advanced eLearning development.

Lorenzo S.

Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Excelente software para elearning, pero se quedo atrasado

Me encantaba utilizarlos para hacer pequeños tutoriales o clases temáticas para nuestra página web, sigo esperando salga una versión actualizada mejorada.

Pros

Permite añadir elementos interactivos de evaluación de aprendizaje, organizar todo por módulos y exportar el curso en su totalidad para incorporarlo a nuestra página web de forma sencilla

Cons

No cuenta con una versión actualizada, inicio de manera fuerte con herramientas novedosas, pero al parecer han abandonado desde Adobe al proyecto, sin soporte técnico ni una versión estable.

Showing original review in Spanish. See translation

ML

Michael L.

Banking, 51-200 employees

ELearning Design at it’s best!

Adobe Captivate has the power to help you create riveting eLearning experiences. It’s not as expensive as the competition, so you also get more bang for your buck.

Pros

This software can do just about anything that you would like for your eLearning courses. It’s easy to create interactive software demos, video role-plays, and detailed quizzes. If you have Adobe Captivate Prime, you can upload directly into the LMS. But even if you use another LMS, it’s easy to create a SCORM file and import it in.

Cons

It’s not the most intuitive product. You can do just about anything you would imagine, but it will take some experimentation. However, if you stick with it (or look up a few how-to’s on YoutTube) you’ll be all set!

Design, 1-10 employees

Créateur

Plutôt belle expérience je remettrai cela volontiers

Pros

Le produit est fiable et facile à utiliser, bien configurer pour les différents processus

Cons

difficulté d'utilisation pour les novice, voilà le point qui m'a quand-même bloqué au début

Showing original review in French. See translation