All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Alma Reviews

New growing company willing to create a highly competitive program for all educational venues.

Pros

Clean and easy to navigate whether on the parent side or on the administrative side. Customer service is also quick to respond when we are in need.

Cons

Queries of information cannot be easily accessible unless requested. School families are unable to access their own personal information to edit. Families would also like to be able to see contact information for families within their child's class. It would be beneficial if families could email their student's parents just as teachers can so that they may plan for upcoming parties, field trips, etc. without contacting the school for names, emails, etc.

Great for teachers/schools

I've been teaching for almost 30 years and this is definitely one of the most user-friendly platforms that I have used.

Pros

I love that it is linked to Google Classroom. When I sync the two, all my grades automatically sync. I have had one or 2 small issues, but customer services was excellent in getting back to me and helping solve the problem within a few days.

Cons

I would love to be able to change grades in ALMA - that originated from Google Classroom. I find I am having to sync often even when there is just one grade that needs to be changed. But this could be a problem with GC.

Alma

A lot of our files were in separate places (ie, paper copies, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc) prior to Alma and now have been collated in one software. This has allowed for an increase in efficiency among staff. Alma has been very helpful in the onboarding process and very attentive and willing to help out as much as they can. With the ongoing pandemic, the customer engagement staff member assigned to us has reached out often and checked in regarding our process.

Pros

I really appreciate the user friendly interface of the software. Most of the features are very intuitive and whenever I have questions, the customer engagement team responds quickly and with direct answers. The software also facilitates data sharing among administrators, parents, and teachers.

Cons

I do think that they could improve in some of the fields and attributes that are designated to the student's bio. They can also add a way to integrate the fees component to Alma Start so that parents can make payments through their processes. I also think that in the student SIS, the picture icon could be made larger or if clicked on become a bigger picture. While they have made improvements for the medical section by adding the immunizations feature, they should probably expand on that by adding other fields.

Alma is for Educators

Alma has been a pleasure to work with. Their staff is friendly, hard working, and always available. With that combination, I don't know what else you could need out of a long term investment.

Pros

The overall ease of use is what sold us on Alma. It's intuitive and saves you clicks. The best part for me personally is how easy it is to look up where a student is currently located, in order to call their room and have them sent to the tech office for assistance or troubleshooting.

Cons

Alma is a growing company, and as a result, they have some things that needed work when we started. However, after less than a year of being their customer, we have already worked out the major kinks that are particular to how we run our school district and they continue to make adjustments to improve the overall functionality of the software to save time and effort of EVERYONE, not just admin and not just teachers.

I've been using alma daily for 3.5 as a teacher and find it to be incredibly user friendly.

As a teacher, alma makes it very easy for me to keep students and families up to date on student progress.

Pros

Alma's user interface is easy to navigate every step of the way - from taking attendance to posting and grading assignments to creating and publishing report cards. Features are easy to use and customizable by class. Their customer support team is consistently responsive to requests and does an effective job communicating and offering support for new features.

Cons

In the future, I'd love to see alma develop an app for mobile devices or a more user-friendly mobile version of the website.

In my secretarial position training was minimal. I know there is more that I could be using.

Overall I am happy with things

Pros

Student records information. Ability to go from student to student quickly. So much info available on the bio page. Classes and times available on schedule.

Cons

Running some report. Labels, not sure when running labels which address Im going to get. Which parent address and the need to use the PO Box of the student. Also...when going to previous years the need to flip back to another year with the same student. Maybe if you could go back to previous years by students.

Alma = Future

The transition was a little painful due to the transfer of information from our previous SIS. "Translate" our settings from previous SIS to Alma was not that strait.

Pros

Their Web GUI concept is very forward, very stable and fast cloud, SSO with google, great help info, great tech support.

Cons

The email feature doesn't have an inbox, an outbox.

Super simple to Handel and navigate. Makes my life as a teacher easy.

Able to learn a universal program that could potentially be used at a different school.

Pros

I LOVE the new and easy way to submit grades. Easy few step process. Before there was a more complex way and now it's a simple three-step process to submit y'all my grades. I have group grades and I LOVE that it separates them by grade.

Cons

There is absolutely nothing negative. The whole system is consistently improving and making it that much easier for teachers to use in our short amount of time to submit grades for all of our classes.

using ALMA has been convenient.

Pros

Finding all the information related to students all in one place. The student and parent portals are very useful aspects of ALMA. The ability to communicate, in bulk, with different groups. School announcements is a good feature. Alma Start is a potentially great service.

Cons

we are not able to use Arabic to enter information (we are a school in Lebanon, where Arabic is the official language) It would be a good idea to be able to share disciplinary incidents on the parent and/or student portals.

Awesome Program!

Pros: Price can't be beat; extremely user friendly; best customer service ever experienced - they listen to your needs and try to give you exactly what you want and they respond immediately; personal training for your school; help available by email and phone; product still being developed so as a customer you have a lot of input; live demo when deciding to use or not Cons: No accounting or student...

Cons

Hi Karyn, Thank you for the kind words! The good news is we will have a discipline feature available for next year! We will not have a full accounting tool next year but we are building a fee tracking tool. If there are other features that could benefit Pleasant Grove don't hesitate to let Karen know. We are always adding new features!

An Education Driven Product!

Pros

I love the value. After looking into many products, we chose Alma because it was the only affordable program that offered true mastery based grading. Alma also has world class customer service. The interface is clean and always being developed. We recently ugraded our service plan because we are so happy with the program.

Cons

There are some features that I would like to see developed, but that is true of every software. Over time, they will develop those features.

Alma Review

I'm happy with the improvements are have been made. I'd like to see a seating chart for each class. The system could create it by abc's, age, boy/girl or randomly.

Pros

Can access on-line at home or work.

Cons

Lots of clicking. Must click many times to enter grades. I'd like to be able to 10 key.

Hi Cheri, Thank you so much for taking the time to send in your feedback! We agree that the ability to create a seating chart would be a great addition to Alma and the team is currently working on a way to make this possible in the near future. Again, thank you for your feedback! Best, Kelly

Excited for the future

Pros-Customer service is great. They work on updates almost every week as their product continues to grow and expand to meet the needs of school districts. Cons-They are developing the transcript and the scheduler component. That is why I rated overall as 4 star instead of 5.(I am a high school counselor). Ease of use is continuing to get better and better with each update they make. It's not that...

Cons

Hi Christina, Thank you for this valuable feedback! We are happy to hear that you and your parents are finding Alma easy to use. Thank you for trusting us to meet your scheduling and transcript needs - scheduled improvements are definitely on our roadmap in the months ahead! Kind regards, Kelly

Alma was useful for me as a teacher. It helped me stay organized in my plannings and assessments

Pros

What I liked the most about this Software is that it helps teachers to stay organized in their daily plannings, but also in the evaluation process. This was my first year as a teacher, and I loved using ALMA because I got the chance to put all the information that I needed in that Software. Just by clicking on ALMA I could take attendance, find information about my students, update my plannings, follow the CCSS Standards and upload the grades.

Cons

At the beginning of the school year, it was a little complicated for me to understand how ALMA worked. I had to ask many times to the Principal of my school about how to upload my daily plannings and align the assessments to the Standards. However, after a few weeks of practicing, it became easier for me.

Alma creates an easy work space

I would give this a 9 out of 10. It's a system that works for our attendance records and makes sharing it with the other staff easy.

Pros

Alma makes attendance keeping track of student records so simple. The way it puts it together in analytics format is also easy to use.

Cons

With multiple people using this system, it can be changed too easily. I have entered info in the system and admis had changed it. It should be a closed document when that day is over.

Education

I have used the attendance feature to track when specific students are absent from school. It's nice to identify where the patterns are and try to fix them.

Pros

I enjoy using the attendance feature and Alma. I like the shortcut that has a "mark all" as present.

Cons

Designing report cards within the interface is a little tricky. I am on year three of using it and have now discovered that you can embed report card comments for later use. I like this feature.

Student Information Systems

The customer services is amazing! Any questions I have I am able to reach out and they will problem solve and help me figure it out.

Pros

I like the ease of finding information for the students and being able to connect with the parents this way. Easy to pull reports that I can use to help with enrollment and decisions. Attendance tracking is very easy and great that parents can see the information up front.

Cons

It needs improvements on the messaging capabilities. Currently you are able to message through the software but you can't create drafts of messages or even have record of who you sent the message to or what messages were sent.

Principal's opinion (who has used multiple SIS systems)

I have had the most postive experience dealing with the Alma staff. I work at an International school in Southeast Asia and they will regularly make time to chat online.

Pros

- I love the integration with google classroom. In this way it essentialy forms an SIS and LMS into one. - I love that the staff is so progressive and open to feedback. Really kind people with a passion for education are the type of people I want to work with - I love that they are constantly updating to make the product better based on the feedback of their customers - I love that it is so well laid out and easy to use. People who have used other SIS systems can certainly appreciate this.

Cons

- I would like to see the integration of performance rubrics that can be tied to the gradebook

Intuitive and Efficient Student Information System

Despite some minor issues, I really like using ALMA - it is the best student information system I've used (PowerSchool, Infinite Campus, several others)

Pros

ALMA does everything - attendance, grading, assignments - information is easy to input and update. I haven't used a system that has been so accessible and can produce such great results, especially that are easy to track and understand.

Cons

The attendance status defaults to present. This is contrary to what I do - it's easier to mark students present from a list of absent students . I need to manually change the status of every student to absent. It would be great if a link to Google Classroom would work. I have to input assignments and grades twice

I want to love Alma but...

I really want to love Alma. There's so much potential but the problems we are running into keep building up and fixes are few and far between. Luckily we only have about 1000 students and a few schools. I don't know how we would manage if we were a larger organization.

Pros

It's the only SIS that looks like it was designed in the past decade. The site itself is easy to use. The basics (scheduling, attendance, calendar, student bios, medical) are all well done, user-friendly, and look great. Gradebook is excellent. Frontline support is helpful.

Cons

Reporting is a nightmare. Reports come in random formats. The descriptions are confusing. The filtering is confusing or doesn't work right. The screen where you choose reports is just a long confusing list. There's no preview of what the report is or looks like. Some information that you'd expect to be readily available (like a student's current grades) require running one of those confusing reports to find. The district portal is useless. New features that have been added (fees, report builder) feel unfinished and lack basic functionality that one would expect. While the front-line support is good, anything that has to go beyond them gets lost in a black hole when sent to "engineering". There are some quirks to the program that just make no sense. Little things here and there.

Sorry to hear you aren't sharing the common elation of switching to Alma that nearly all of our customers experience. It sounds as if you may have actually missed out on some introductory training, and we'd love to set that up for you. As you have chosen to keep your identity anonymous, I cannot flag your concerns to your account manager. Looking forward to hearing from you soon via Capterra so we can remedy this. Update: Hello again! It's been almost a month, and we haven't heard back from you yet. We really would like to address your issues. Our customer service staff is ready and waiting!

CTA

Excellent. This is our 4th year with Alma. They've added so many features, making it better and better.

Pros

The Interface is highly intuitive and easy to figure out.

Cons

The problems I've had were that they let us purchase features that weren't actually ready. I think it wasn't fair, and it ended up creating problems, and Alma never apologizes or admits that they weren't ready. A few features don't make sense for us, and they're not customizable.

Change is never easy!

The Alma staff have been terrific to work with. They reply when contacted and they get answers when we ask for them.

Pros

This product is very user oriented compared to many competitors that evolved from data.

Cons

They are new to Illinois and a lot of the state reports and other needed reports are being developed as we need them in this first year.

This is my 2nd year of working with ALMA. I have worked on many other school products for attendance and grades, and this is definitely the clearest one I have worked on.

Pros

It is easy to find everything I need when adding assignments and grades for my students. I love that I can add comments with each assignment. It is easy to go between classes from one feature of ALMA to another. I am also a parent, and I love how I can quickly see my child's grades, AND missing assignments on one page. This helps us keep up with what needs to be done.

Cons

I can't think of anything that I really dislike.

Great Support!

Their customer service is superb. Always available and very helpful. Any requests for changes or new features they listen to and eventually do develop and implement.

Pros

The software is pretty straight forward to use. User friendly and consistently growing in its possibilities.

Cons

It isn’t tailored specifically to NY or NYC DOE systems and protocols but the system continues to adapt to better fit the needs of nyc schools.

Customer support is immediately available-this is a reliable aspect of Alma and the reason I recomme

Excellent management of student information - excellence in parent communication through Alma.

Pros

Wide variety of features and uses - also, the immediacy of customer support - when we have suggested the need for new features, these options have been added

Cons

Occasional shut-downs due to updates - otherwise, I don't really think of aspects that I don't like. Our past experience with RenWeb was negative, so Alma is comparatively flawless.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.