Alma SIS Logo

Empower progress. Spark potential. www.getalma.com

Alma SIS Reviews - Page 3

Said S.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Alma the soul of your education

For a long school year such as a semester or a full year it has been phenomenal as a portfolio for classes with my students

Pros

As a teacher I can say that Alma is one of the best virtual classrooms that I have tried, it is an all-in-one and something that I love is the management of evaluations and students without having to resort to any other external platform. The function that I use the most is evaluative management since right there I can check my lists for the student report card system as well as the grade assigned to the same task and document

Cons

It is difficult to say that Alma has something bad, rather something not so good and that is first-hand integration, but once learned it is phenomenal

LV

Lynette V.

Alma: A Teacher's Point of View

Our overall experience has been satisfactory. We rarely have the "drama" we dealt with when using our previous software. Keeping up to date more quickly and making changes to make the teacher use more efficient and faster would be of big help.

Pros

Our school was first drawn to Alma because it combined a good software to meet student, parent, and teacher needs with great value. Customer service is fantastic. If any of us ask an online question, help is quick.

Cons

Alma takes a long time to keep up with the times. For example, we have used it several years, but they just added the ability to enter a score on one student's grade book for a given assignment, and then hit enter, and then an automatic opening to the next student's grade to enter. In effect, it now performs well with a number key pad. Entry was singularly entered one a time which was so slow. In addition, there should be a quicker way to approve report cards. Finally, because we want students to monitory their grades, it would be helpful for them to have their own password access for limited viewing, keeping the parent password private for fuller access.

AP

Ashley P.

A Great SIS - and Getting Better

Our school has tried several different solutions for grading and record keeping, and Alma is by far the best we have encountered. We tried Power School (a user-unfriendly dinosaur) and internally developed software (effective but too labor-intensive and time consuming to develop and maintain), and Alma is far superior to both. I really cannot recommend Alma highly enough.

Pros

The best thing abour Alma is its ease of use. In addition, it has one of the most professional and responsive customer support departments I have ever encountered in any product or industry.

Cons

It does not yet have all of the functionality that we would like, particularly in the area of recording curriculum, but since we adopted it three years ago they have regulerly added new features and improved the functionality of what was already there. I really do believe that in short order they will address curriculum within the program, and at that point every major use we have for an SIS would be covered.

MD

Matthew D.

ALMA Year One Review

Alma has been highly responsive. Their customer service beat all other SIS products that we have worked with. Many of the issues that we are having are due to a specific issues to California schools.

Pros

ALMA is colorful with a high ease of use for parents and students. It is easy to access and manage student and school data. Class scheduling is a breeze. We can accomplish more in one day that we could in one week with our previous product.

Cons

Printing report cards is a disaster. There is no option to batch print report cards all in one job. There is no page break option, so RCs end up getting copied to the backs of one-another if they have an odd number of pages. The only option is to print each .pdf individually. There are several remaining issues with data reporting for California accountability reports.

CB

Courtney B.

Alma Review

Overall this has been a great student management system from the teacher perspective. It was easy to learn, and just takes some time to get used to the new/different features after transitioning from a different system.

Pros

Alma is very user friendly; you can figure it out without much training at all. The gradebook has great color coding and customization options. Many features have streamlined options such as the "mark all present" for attendance.

Cons

Alma does not currently have the ability to link standards to gradebook assignments in a way that categorizes sub-scores on report cards. I also wish it had features such as a "fill-down" button for gradebook assignments. There's also my multiple "click-steps" to entering a a score in the gradebook, which is tedious at times.

JN

Jacob N.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

My Honest Review

Pros

I loved that our district made a deal to get a group purchase for ALMA so it made the price just perfect for us. ALMA looks beautiful and is an excellent tool. It is such a powerful data tracking tool which is great when you're trying to analyze large amounts of data. I love that you can run an extract and upload it to CALPADS, it makes reporting so much easier! The customer support team always has a great attitude and truly feels like they love helping you.

Cons

One of the major CONS is that it is not yet fully approved by the state for reporting, which adds another step to program administrators to get it approved for attendance. That was a major bummer. Another CON is that because it is such a powerful system, some training is required if you hope to use it properly. When I started using it I thought I could just teach myself how to use it and ended up costing myself and my teachers a week or so of grief until I could get proper training. It's all in the settings. If you don't have those set up properly, then you're doomed. Once you train for 2-3 hours though with their great staff, it's a breeze after that!

SP

Susan P.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Dysfunctional, Disorganized, Shallow, Time Consuming, Primitive, Not intuitive, Poor Design

None

Pros

I have found little positive to say about the functioning of the software. It does not fit the size of our organization and the design structure is too primitive. There are too many steps involved for transactions.

Cons

*the que*lack of confidentiality*process of accessing information, having to scroll through entire population to select students for reports*scheduling functionality is primitive* data reliability and validity for student grades and transcripts* student and parent use has diminished* report card processing is cumbersome* student display of schedule; no full year* student print out of schedule and on and on

Wow, Susan. We are dismayed to see your experience with Alma doesn't match the rest of our users! Thank you for the feedback. As you can see from nearly all of Alma's other reviews, this seems to be an isolated issue with just your school. (We are even getting stellar reviews from others in your district, and in your school.) Alma is built to handle any size school or district - big and small, so...

KP

Kristen P.

Definitely a Product for Educators

Having just come from a visually exhausting, not user-friendly information management and grading system, Alma has been a breath of fresh air. It was a pretty easy transition, figuring out the lay of the land. I was never confident on the old system. After only a few months into using Alma, I feel like I have a really good grasp on using it, and if not, I know that they have a great support system to help me out if I get stuck.

Pros

Is the Alma system absolutely perfect in every way? No product out there is! What has really impressed me about Alma is their incredible support team and communication. If we (the people using Alma) have a need and make a suggestion, they are lightning fast in coming up with a solution that fits the need. It is incredibly user friendly, visually appealing in its organization, and houses all of the tools we need for student information management in one tidy place.

Cons

My only wish would be to see a record of the messages that are sent directly to students and parents. However, Alma does allow you to send the message to your email, so it is possible to keep a record of messages that way.

AH

April H.

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

People are unhappy thru out the school system, very disappointing.

Face page has all in one, everything needed for information of a student.

Pros

Common sense functions, easy to move about. I like the look of the program and is easy to teach to other users. I like how the reports card area is set up, altho we can not print them easily without a pdf converter!

Cons

Reports -reports are not in pdf forms as needed. Hate the reports, most secretaries do not have time to mess with formats and a lot of us do not have the software to even do so, corporations do not want to provide that due to budgeting. Please start making PDF options. The reports options are basically useless for my position of lead secretary. Not doing well with our higher grade level schools. We can not even run reports cards.... the reports make us do more work, and we do not need more work . We do not have the abilities to use the reports. PDF form is a better option for secretaries. The biggest complaint thru the system is Reports are not what we need....

Hi April, This is great feedback! Every user has different needs with the data produced in reports. Some users want to manipulate the data, which is when excel and CSV files are best. And others wish to see and share the data in a more formal way. That is when PDFs are most helpful. Depending on the report, we can make PDF an option as well as CSV! Your Account Manager will reach out to better understand which reports we should amend.

DW

Diane W.

School counselor review

Good, actually.

Pros

There's too much to list everything!!! I like the class function, the internal staff note function, the file cabinet, the graduation function and the reporting function, though I would tweak them all a bit.

Cons

I don't know how to ask for changes. That isn't really obvious to me at all. Everything below I'd probably be able to ask for, but don't know how. With the class function, I would like to print class lists without the pictures. I also LIKE printing lists with pictures, but a lot of time I just want the data. Also, I would love the print the class schedule as it is on the page, but it reverts to another version that I do not like at all. With the Internal Staff Note function, I would like to be able to hide it on the overview page. That's the page that has grades and I like to show them to students, but NOT the internal staff notes.

RD

Ricky D.

Love this tool. Love the customer service even more.

We moved from a very expensive and ridiculously difficult system to this one and it has made things so much easier. So far we use Alma mainly for the Grade Book and Attendance and it works really well. Attendance has gone through some changes since we signed up in September 2015 and this has caused a little confusion but once you understand what's happening (contact support) it's quite simple...

Cons

Hi Ricky, We have LOVED working First Baptist Christian School and we look forward to many more years together! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. As you said, we are constantly improving the platform and we will keep you updated with any changes. Thanks! Elizabeth

KH

Karen H.

Alma user

Alma is great for keeping all students, staff, family, etc., in one place with numerous options for reporting.

Pros

The software is easy to use and produces so many report options.

Cons

During Covid the response time to questions/problems has sometimes taken over a day. When a teacher or parent needs something the delay in resolution leaves the school appearing less professional.

JH

Jennifer H.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

Alma for Schools

Overall, I love Alma! At first, I was a little intimidated by having to switch my grading over to a system and fit what I would typically do into a "box" that was essentially pre-decided for me. I was glad to see how customizable all of the options are on Alma. I also love that parents/students can see grades at any time!

Pros

I love that as a teacher I can customize my grade book easily and have different types of assignments weighted differently (and it does all of the math for me!). I also am so happy about the fact that I can publish the grades to where students or parents can see the grades instantly. It is also very easy to email home mid-term grades to all students/parents in one email :) .

Cons

Some of the functionalities that Alma offers are great functions, but they are not always user friendly. For example, there are A LOT of steps to go through to create a report card/progress report. I had a very difficult time figuring out how to create a progress report for a student who took one elective class first term (sewing) and a different elective class second term (art), and other students...

SB

Sandra B.

Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 employees

Switched to Alma, never going back!

Before we switched our school to Alma we were using multiple programs to help our teachers with their record keeping responsibilities. We had one program for grading, another one for rosters, and yet another one for communication with parents. We even had an entirely different program to help generate grade reports and student schedules. None of them interfaced with each other, and our staff were often doing double and triple entries for each student. Since switching to Alma we have reduced the administrative burden on our teachers and office staff by over 50%. Alma has enabled our teachers to better utilize their office time, and freed up valuable opportunities for more one on one teaching time. This is a win-win for everyone involved in the education process. Thank you Alma!

Pros

Alma integrates our administrative processes into one, easy to use program that both parents and teachers love!

Cons

The financial/billing component is not as comprehensive as we need.

TD

Tina D.

Alma - An Easy-to-Use Gradebook

Whenever I have had a question, it is answered pretty quickly. Alma has also done a good job of responding to our concerns.

Pros

I like that Alma has customized the system to a lot of our needs since we first adopted it. It's very easy to use!

Cons

I would like for the Alma gradebook to work more seamlessly with our LMS, Schoology.

LM

Leslie M.

Amazing ALMA

As I alluded to the Alma support staff is excellent and we have our SJA support staff for Alma too so we are doing well with the transition. Teachers have more at their finger tips for flexibility with report cards and that makes all of us so happy...actually its terrific to see them so pleased.

Pros

There are so MANY things at your fingertips as you delve into this great student information system! If you can't find them and/or understand them Alma's excellent support team will walk you through it.

Cons

Change in all facets of life is a challenge. Being accustomed to my previous SIS program there are things I miss and just can't have. Student Attendance is an important part of my daily life. It frustrates me that though student names are still alphabetical they are presented in reports by first name not last. In a true emergency LAST NAMES are what we are accustomed to look for. Sure I can go in and make up my own special document from excel but most likely NOT during an emergency.

NM

Nikki M.

Using Alma

We began using the Alma gradebook last year, and then the Learning Report feature this year. Initial set up of the files and transfers was a little bumpy with customer service at the beginning of the year, so this accounts for 4 instead of 5 stars. From there, the team has really worked to adjust files to our needs, particularly when we come up to report card time. The program still seems relatively...

Cons

We are working all of the time to improve our custom and state standards import process. We appreciate not only your patience with the process but your feedback. We also hope to make updating academic targets smoother - as we know these are constantly evolving at schools. We will keep you updated on any progress we make. Thanks again for the feedback!

KS

Kimberly S.

Alma SIS

Great! Love their customer service and speed of response

Pros

Ease of navigating, state reporting and Alma response to making sure reports work well.

Cons

Nothing so far, it has been very easy to set up and get our information into the system.

SS

Sean S.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

This is the worst student management program I have been exposed to.

None that other programs don't offer with better access.

Pros

I can Email student classes, when they are accessible, honestly though this program has been a disaster.

Cons

No report cards, no missing work access, no class rank, GPAs are spotty, Transcripts are junk, no app. We had to hand compute class rank, Cumulative GPA, and enter transcript credits.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us! We want you to know that we take your feedback very seriously. I've addressed each of the items listed under cons below and would greatly appreciate it if you would contact support if any of these items are still a concern. - We do have Report Cards unless I am misunderstanding you. - We have reports for missing work, class rank and cumulative...

PH

Patricia H.

Alma makes it easy

Pros

Alma is a great software package. The gradebook feature is easy to use on the administrator end. If features need adjustment, you can contact the company and they LISTEN!

Cons

There's nothing to not like. Teachers and staff are still learning to use the features, and that's typically the most difficult thing - getting folks to change practices based on old software.

NH

Nicole H.

So easy to use! Great for quick grade updating.

It is easy to use and it makes it so easy to communicate student performance with parents and administrators.

Pros

I love how easy it is to use. I can have my students call out scores for homework assignments and be updating them during class time. I also love it as a parent communication tool. With the simple categories and live updates, I can quickly show my parents where their students are struggling simply by updating my gradebook.

Cons

I wish the assignments in each subject were sorted with the most recent assignments right next to the students names. I also wish there was a feature that would allow you to email a particular group or class right from the main screen instead of having to open that class.

DJ

Dominick J.

Great for standards based grading, but would be much better if they had an app

Pros

-Very easy to grade an assessment on multiple standards -Constantly updating software to make it easier for teachers -Easy to put anecdotal notes on students accounts that parents and teachers can see -It seems that the team at Alma works hard to make any individual changes you might want for your school

Cons

-There is no app for teachers, this is a major downside for schools where teachers do a lot on their phone. I miss the days when I used to be able to easily take attendance or access student information from my phone -The grading portal still has some technological kinks that need to be worked out. Sometimes you will click on one student's name and you end up accidentally entering grades for another because the screen jumps. Once you do this it is difficult to delete the grade unless you mark the assignment N/A.

CG

Cynthia G.

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

I Just Startes Using ALMA, And It Saves Me Time When Using It!

I really like using ALMA. Any time I have asked for assistance, I am always very pleased with the quick response I get. My questions are always answered.

Pros

I like how easy taking attendance is and there are several ways to look things up. It's versatile. Can find things quickly.

Cons

I would like to see for our school, the attendance for the classroom for the morning only instead of seeing it for the whole day (like specials and other small/quick classes we go to).

CL

Chrissy L.

Teacher review

It can be frustrating, but it's a useful tool. I'm not sure why but I find myself making more mistakes with this management system than others I have used in the past.

Pros

My school was one of the first to use Alma, and I have been impressed with how they ask for feedback from teachers and then consistently make changes to improve the product.

Cons

It seems to go down every time we do report cards, which is when we need it the most. Also, I'd like for it to be easier to post and print lesson plans. Also, when I post a grade as received, the default should always be full credit, not zero.

11-50 employees

Very easy to use an constantly improving

Much much easier to manage student data than power school

Pros

Alma has a great and beautiful interface and its very easy to use. The support is excellent, easy to access, and very responsive. We wanted to replace Power School because it was difficult to use and felt like it was designed for larger institutions, requiring more resources than we have.

Cons

When the product was new it wasn't as robust as other similar software but they take user feedback and constantly add new features.

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us a review! It's great to hear how user friendly you find Alma to be, and yes, we are constantly improving. New updates each week! Thanks again!