Blackboard Collaborate Logo

Blackboard Collaborate

Online collaboration & web conferencing solution

Blackboard Collaborate Reviews

4.2

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.74/10

Reviews by rating

I think that this has been a great way to learn new things. It is free, and it is a great for anyone needing to save money and is a student.
The overall quality, ease of use, features & functionality of blackboard make it a great software for college students and college campuses to invest in.
I really like the fact you can easily create teams, conferences and add users very efficiently. The sound and video quality are really good.
The support was horrible, most of them are salesman and when they redirect to the specialist at the end is openning a ticket because they do not know neither.
Uploading finished assignments were a real pain. The documents videos needed to be no more than a few.
No direct integration for download the record of use you need to use api to get this information. We had a problem with the LTI the integration started to direct any group to the same room.

TV

Tyana V.

senior aba therapist

Individual & Family Services, 501-1,000 employees

Easy to Use

Transcript

Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Tiana. I am a senior ABA therapist. I give Blackboard Collaborate a five out of five....

Nehemiah K.

Media Producer

Higher Education, 51-200 employees

Blackboard Collaborate Makes Classes Easier

Transcript

Nehemiah K.: Hi, my name is Nehemiah. I'm a graduate student, and I give Blackboard Collaborate a five...

Diego Martin R.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Very simple and intuitive.

Blackboard Collaborate is an excellent tool which is very effectively in educational environments however for SMEs there are better alternatives with similar features at lower prices.

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate is a simple and powerful tool. Features like creating groups and file sharing allow users to improve their user experience while using the software. I appreciate that the video quality would be stable despite of the difficulties in connectivity we could experience. What I like the most is the fact that you do not need to download any additional app to use this software on your phone.

Cons

I have not had any problems while using the app however I think that some additional functions can be implemented such as a button to control the level of audio, annotations and a video speed controller.

Neisha P.

BB as an Administrator & a Student

I like Blackboard as a learning platform. I do think, like all software, a few bugs need to be worked out for better administration. Maybe a face-lift would be nice as well.

Pros

As a student the software is easy to use and has an easy to use dashboard. It is nice to be able to email other students or teachers, especially when you get to the university level. I like how there are different options to view your grades and when you submit your assignments there is a confirmation code that is generated. There is also a variety of tools besides email in which communication can take place, like discussion boards, videos, or links to other websites. I also found it handy to keep track of important announcements from campus organizations and professors. As an Administrator I like how the software can keep me organized and track the progress of the students.

Cons

I did not have many issues as a student, but as an administrator I found a few places with room for improvement. At times it was difficult to upload assignments, I would always get an error message. I know I am completing the correct steps because I have uploaded many assignments. Another issue I had was that this software always seemed to go down at the most in opportune times, like right before finals and then an extension had to be given to the students to be fair. I can't say if it was the fault of the school or the software, all I know is it is frustrating.

RH

Regina H.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Good for the basics of remote classroom learning

Overall, I think Blackboard is an adequate software for classes to use as far as the basics go (e.g. putting syllabi and class readings online, administering quizzes and tests, grading). The look and feel of the software can be improved upon and it can be made more user-friendly, but overall, it does an okay job.

Pros

I like that it has the basic features needed for this type of software, such as the ability to administer and grade quizzes online. It is pretty intuitive to use, but it could be better.

Cons

The whole program looks and feels very dated. Because it looks so dated, it feels like it has not been upgraded in a while and could be difficult to use. It surprisingly is pretty intuitive to use however, but there are still ways that it could be improved upon. For example, grading assignments can be made an easier task that does not need to be featured on a separate page.

Axel A.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Awesome page for study

In was using this app since I was in high school and I really use it for study and sent my homeworks and works, it was so easy to use, and now with my industry I been thinking in use this app, and my workers love it, beacuse is like a stay in the school, and you can sent all the works or anything that they need to show me.

Pros

This app is for all the people who are studing or working in houses, is so easy to use and they have a lot of settings to had more control. You can upload any document for all your workers or for your students.

Cons

Honestly this app is a little outdated but it's a good app. I mean nowadays there are a lot of this type of page for students and for some industry, and this app has not more diference than the others.

Madi M.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Powerful online learning platform

Blackboard Collaborate has a bit of a learning curve, but once you click through everything, it is easy to use. Sometimes it can be a little slow, but it holds an entire semester's work of resources, discussions, and videos with ease. Overall, it's one of the better online learning platforms I've used, and it is of a high quality.

Pros

I like that Blackboard can contain and store so many things - Zoom links and previous video recordings, slides/presentations, PDFs of complete textbooks, and more. It makes online learning as a graduate student easy, and I don't have to use my limited free Google storage to access a variety of resources that my professors provide me.

Cons

Sometimes it feels clumsily organized. This may be my university's fault, but it can be hard to find links, or I have to click through 4 levels of links to get to my destination. I'm sure site organization is managed by the admin users, but sometimes it just feels like there are too many options, half of which don't even have anything within.

EC

Eugenio C.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Used other for less than 6 months

Old software for newer times

Pros

It has the aspect of blackboard ultra, so if you paid blackboard ultra 7000 euros per year, then you can benefit paying 3000 euros more for the collaborate and have it all in one.

Cons

There are not good features in it, other newer platforms have more features, configurations, options and the price is a lot less.

NK

Natalie K.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Outdated learning management system

I don't particularly like using Blackboard, I would not recommend for schools to use it.

Pros

I like that you can create folders to resemble modules for different assignment sequences during the semester.

Cons

I don't like the interface of Blackboard because it looks old and and very Web 1.0. To complete a function, you need to go through many clicks. It is also not intuitive to figure out how to build content.

Tamika B.

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

An Instructor's Needed Resource!

I access Blackboard on a daily basis in order to post assignments and grades. I am an adjunct instructor at several institutions of higher learning. I am elated that a lot of institutions use this software for their students as it offers so much versatility. For example, you can use Blackboard to engage in remote learning sessions with students. I use this software to course copy if there aren't any major changes in my courses.

Pros

I love the overall functionality of this software as you can post grades, assignments, video tutorials, and various educational-based resources. The ease of usage with this software is comfortable as it is easy to comprehend.

Cons

I honestly don't have any cons from usage associated with this product. The overall learning curve and navigation of this product are easy to comprehend.

Casscilla C.

Computer Software, self-employed

Strayer Student

I love blackboard this is one of the great software I have ever seen in a college and I am thankful that I will be using it after I am done with each term. It helps me stay on track with my work that is due.

Pros

I like that blackboard has every piece of information that I need in regards to my school assignments. Not having to go to the site and login is a plus when it comes to doing my task. I can also and question and get answers right away with this software.

Cons

I see that they have take the virtual assistant off of the blackboard. Many of us depended on this to help us when the school wasn't open. I am sure if you put Iven back on that we would use him he was such a help.

AA

Asaf A.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Great software for Higher Education

All in all, Blackboard Collaborate is a great software for managing education materials.

Pros

I can easily log into my account and see all courses that I got. Also, nice interface make this software special because I use it daily. I can download or upload materials without any problems.

Cons

I am actually using it in education purpose only and I have not faced with any problems yet.

RD

RussAhna D.

Blackboard College Student Perspective

I was neither buyer nor administrator so I can't speak to that end of it or its cost value. However, I can say, if you're looking for a software that allows students to learn and collaborate with an interactive platforms built for learning and collaborating, this is one of the best options out there. I say this as someone who has used Canvas, Teams, and interactive text software built for collaboration....

Pros

I loved its collaboration tools. We also used it in combination with Zoom during the pandemic, which was cool as a concept. In practice, it was overwhelming because of hybrid classes and older professors who struggle with technology. At times, it could be frustrating to work with so much depending on online material but there was a security in Blackboard, that when we figured it out, solved small technical issues, the end result was reliable and optimized in some way or another for any kind of educational activity. Zoom is arguably faster paced, more live, but working with the two together, offered really unique and creative new collaborative experiences. I appreciated the versatility and accessibility of Blackboard greatly.

Cons

I disliked the inconsistent technical demands and the lack of transparency about the differences between what professors view and what students view. Some of this could be fixed with our own research but some of this could have been helped with a little more technical support on the user side. I also found the inconsistent email notifications annoying. It might seem redundant to other users but for all email notifications and correspondence, I would have preferred matching formatting and styles of notification. It would have helped me find things more quickly and it would have made skimming fifty or so emails every morning for important communications more fruitful.

JC

Jenna C.

Accounting, 10,001+ employees

Used other for 2+ years

The Future to Learning

Overall, via laptop and webpage, I have had a good experience with Blackboard. If the students' only option to connect to the classroom, however, is via a smartphone or tablet, I would not recommend blackboard due to its drawbacks in the mobile application.

Pros

I mostly used Blackboard prior to the virtual first environment, using it specifically for university classes that usually took place in the summer. Summer classes were often in an online or hybrid (online and in-person) format, incorporating significant amounts of virtual learning. Blackboard provides effective resources to collaborate virtually both professors to students and students with fellow...

Cons

Blackboard has a mobile app to provide convenience to its users, which becomes even more important in the virtual first environment. Previously I did not put a lot of weight in my opinion on the app but I think in the virtual first environment it is more important than ever for the software tools to be easy and usable especially the mobile applications. Blackboard's app is not that. It is harder to operate, not as user friendly, and does not provide the same at home peer social environment that other educational platform apps provide -- such as the ability to have live chats and create "rooms" for students to easily break into groups.

SB

Sashana B.

E-Learning, self-employed

Very Interactive and Easy to Use!

Blackboard Collaborate was definitely the right choice. I enjoy using this platform and would definitely recommend it as an ideal platform for e-learning.

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate makes e-learning interactive and hassle-free. I am a university student and the administration decided, when the lockdown started in March, to use this platform to facilitate online learning. When I was introduced to the interface in the beginning, I found that it was very easy to navigate. It offers a tour of the interface which proved to be quite helpful. However, Blackboard...

Cons

There is really nothing to dislike about Blackboard Collaborate. It ticks all the boxes and really does take much of the dreariness out of the virtual learning platform. Although e-learning is definitely not comparable to face-to-face learning, Blackboard Collaborate makes it much easier to adapt.

Melissa T.

Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 employees

Very Suitable Virtual Classroom Environment

Overall, Blackboard Collaborate has served me well as a teaching platform. I have been able to use its many features to promote engagement, learning, and safety.

Pros

Features like private chat, breakout rooms, screen sharing, polling, and file transfer are critical to maximizing learning and engagement in a virtual classroom. The capacity to monitor student work and communication is also vital.

Cons

The inability to see all students at the same time is a distinct disadvantage for teachers and students. The degree of resources required for screen sharing makes this an inaccessible feature for many students.

SO

Steve O.

Government Administration, 51-200 employees

Excellent online meeting tool

Blackboard Collaborate is an essential tool for online meetings. Provides more than just voice meetings and allows an interactive experience. This provided an excellent meeting experience for 9-12 high school students in an online environment.

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate is an efficient tool to use for online meetings. Meeting hosts can load presentations into a whiteboard space and navigate as the meeting progresses. Participants have a variety of tools available to participate in the meeting including a chat box, emoticons, raise hand, step away and other features. Video for both the host and the participants can be enabled. Whiteboard tools can be activated to allow users to write on the whiteboard space using a variety of writing tools. Meetings can be recorded, downloaded, and saved for users to view at other time.

Cons

This software can have a high learning curve. Very intimidating for non-technical users. Proper customer and technical training is highly recommended. Large groups (100 plus) will lag in Blackboard Collaborate.

SM

Stacey M.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Used other for 6-12 months

Not So Smooth

This program works, but is very choppy. I don't recommend it- there are smoother options. However, it does get the job done if required to use. I'd consider looking elsewhere though, if possible!

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate has video conference abilities. The program has a 'whiteboard' that can be shared on the screen and interacted with by both administrator and users. (teacher and students) They make it so you can upload PDF into files, and share those with the users on the screen. This feature is nice as you only have to upload it once. They allow share screen with any open tabs as well.

Cons

If there are more than 4users on the call, you cannot see more of them. It is impossible to see everyone at once, or to scroll through the other users. There are many connectivity issues with Blackboard Collaborate making it challenging to provide quality interaction with users. It has a lag in timing between what is shown or said and when the other users see it on their screen. The whiteboard feature is nice, but writing on it is challenging as well as when you erase, you have to erase the whole 'whiteboard' rather than controlling what pieces to erase and which to keep.

RB

Rebecca B.

E-Learning, 1,001-5,000 employees

Equips you to be organized

I have completed several courses both in class and online through blackboard and have minimal negative comments. I have taken it for math, science, and even art courses and each were fairly easy to navigate. Having electronic copies of important documents, like the syllabus, is invaluable because it is always accessible for your reference. The more you use it, the easier it becomes to navigate.

Pros

Everything you needed for the course could be found under its heading, so you always had access to your syllabus and course requirements. It allows the unconventional student to be equipped with everything they need to still learn outside of the classroom - at the convenience of their own time.

Cons

Just because all the information is provided does not mean you are automatically organized - toggling between tabs creates the possibility of potentially missing an assignment, as blackboard does not alert you when something is due. therefore, if you happen to skip over a tab in the class you may also be skipping over an assignment.

JP

John P.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Great for any Educational Program

Overall experience, I would like to see if blackboard has an app. If not, I would recommend switching to Canvas and using that program since that program is easy to use and the app is rather great. Blackboard is still a great program and I had no issues with it but we all want the simplicity of a program from students to teachers because we as humans just want programs to work and work with us to achieve goals.

Pros

Great product that I use when I went to a community college. We use to use this as our online resources for materials like class work or books and etc. It was easy to use and I loved the simplicity of the layout

Cons

No cons to generate because it was a fairly easy program to use and I would definitely recommend to anyone who is in the educational background to use. ONE CON - not sure if they have an app now but Canvas has an app and that program works great. So I would definitely recommend looking into that.

JC

James C.

Research, 1,001-5,000 employees

Higher education essential platform for sharing resources

Good, it does the job that is intended for it. We use it for providing learning materials and tracking assessments, which it does very well and can manage large sets of students/users. It could be sleeker and improved in its function and overall interface.

Pros

This software allows us to share lecture slides and online recordings with large groups of students. We used this pre-pandemic but it has become even more important in the current climate. Relatively easy to use for providing learning materials and tracking assessments.

Cons

The software doesn't have a function to see whether an individual student has downloaded or accessed a certain material, this would be useful. The interface and overall look could also be improved.

KA

Kheirallah A.

E-Learning, self-employed

Interconnected and Efficient

This educational software has allowed me to easily access all my courses while having all the tools necessary to carry on my education. This software has made the lives of instructors and scholars easier and I recommend more facilities other than colleges and Universities to use it more often.

Pros

This learning software has been such a blast to work with throughout being in university. Even before the Pandemic occurred Blackboard Collaborate was a platform where all work can be completed and submitted while having the tools necessary to succeed.

Cons

There is a learning curve that all users of this software must overcome to understand how to use this software. For instance, there are specific tabs each instructor or student must be familiar with to navigate to their desired destination. However, there aren't many negatives because it does not take long to understand how to work around the software.

KG

Kaitlin G.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Basic, old-school software

I use Blackboard Collaborate daily and have learned to use its functions well for my class. It was not easy to learn, and it frequently has technical issues that disrupt learning.

Pros

I like that blackboard works well with Microsoft Power Point slides and that allows users to collaborate with chat, microphone, and board tools. I also like that it allows recordings to be made.

Cons

This software is difficult to learn to use well and is NOT intuitive. It frequently crashes at our organization, which impacts student learning. You cannot record in breakout rooms which makes small group work a challenge. It does not load Google Slides well which limits the other software one can use to create the slides.

JM

Jennifer M.

E-Learning, 10,001+ employees

Blackboard review

Overall i like using blackboard because it helps me keep all my classes and assignment in one program which is really helpful. And all my grades are shown for each class.

Pros

I really liked using blackboard for all of my classes. It was an easy website or app to go to everyday to check my grade and assignments that are due. It made it easy for me to contact teachers when needed.

Cons

I don’t love the set up of the website when you log in. It takes some getting used to to fully understand it. I also didn’t like how it showed all the classes i took in past semesters first so i had to go to the bottom of the page to find the classes I’m currently enrolled in.

Marie M.

Cosmetics, self-employed

Powerful tool for online meetings!

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate is a powerful tool for video and teleconferencing and information sharing. I like the ease with which information can be shared. The platform have a host of interactive features such as real time polls, group and private chats and break out groups. Participants can also be elevated to presenters at any time with a click of a button where they can share screen and other applications. The platform is also available as a mobile application for on the go access.

Cons

Mobile application have limited capability.

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Excellent option for online learning

Overall, Blackboard has been a great solution to online learning. I think it's an essential software for any e-class.

Pros

This software aggregates everything needed to administrate or attend a class. It has many tools, such as group email, and many ways to organize content. Administrators can add assignments to a calendar, and use the platform as a gradebook. It's a great all-in-one software.

Cons

Occasionally, the interface can be confusing, such as a collapsing menu bar. There is a brief learning curve to get used to the navigation.

WC

Whitney C.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Easy to use and teach with!

Pretty good! It's easy to teach in and learn. Great features to keep my students engaged.

Pros

I like how easy it is to upload my Powerpoints to use to teach with. The Blackboard tools are engaging for the students. The chat is easy to see while I teach.

Cons

I wish that chat could be on for the whole class, but private chat from student to student would be off. It's hard to keep track of private chats with students while class is going on and I need the chat on. BBC as a whole looks a bit dated too. Sometimes my powerpoints mess up or some slides get deleted during my presentations. Not often, but a few times in the past two years.