All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Edsby Reviews

Pros

In addition to being a very useful learning management tool, Edsby helps members of our school community keep in touch with one another and celebrate each other's successes.

Marlene B.

Read the full review
The students can complete the assignments and submit it online without any additional system. This software works great and it is a great communication tool.

Bianca G.

Read the full review
Ease of access; ease of finding information; ability to tailor content specific to school's needs; user interface for administrators and end users.

Read the full review

Cons

My only complaint is it works only in portrait mode which is tedious but aggravating.

Read the full review
His profile immediately disappeared. When there were questions and issues about his marks from the new school, I was unable to provide history.

claudia d.

Read the full review
Some teachers have complained about the way that other students are interacting with their instructors.

Read the full review

It is exactly what I've been looking for.

Pros

The ease and familiarity of a social media platform with the security and transparency of educational software. I can respond to my students questions from anywhere in the world at anytime and I know that our interaction is transparent for their security and mine.

Cons

The gradebook takes some getting used to and doesn't have all of the functionality of a dedicated platform.

K-12 Social Networking Based LMS

Overall, the Edsby platform excels at social communication and K-12 school management. I wouldn't necessarily call it a proper LMS just yet because it only recently added the functionality to build asynchronous courses and import SCORM based learning modules.

Pros

The company is based in Ontario, Canada and focuses on K-12 education which is exactly where my school lands. As a result, many of the changes and customization are geared towards my school. Most the major LMS companies are based in the US so their focus is naturally there.

Cons

It seems like the number of customer service staff has not grown at a rate that can accommodate the number of clients that Edsby is accumulating. This has resulted in excruciatingly slow response times, especially around September and October.

Edsby for Gradebook

Overall, Edsby does have some features that are really great. The gradebook and report card are the easiest I have ever used. I would recommend if those features are important to you.

Pros

I mainly use Edsby for it's gradebook and report card features. I find it very easy to work with and like to it auto-saves information that is input.

Cons

It is not as user friendly for students and parents as it is for teachers and administration. It freezes and locks students out often.

Good in single classes, too labyrinthine for a whole courseload.

I've taught and learned via a host of LMSs, and as currently configured Edsby just isn't up to scratch for complete online learning. It works well enough as an adjunct to in-person learning, especially at the elementary level. Parent contacts works well, although my own classes are missing emails and I'm unsure why that is. I haven't used the gradebook yet so I can't comment. If I was to ask the dev team for 2 things they would be: 1) Make courses pinnable, and possibly even mutable. Allowing user customization will go long way. 2) Separate tasks and discussion. Student comments should never bury teacher announcements.

Pros

Generally intuitive and clear. Student and parent contact info is easy to find. Posts are easy to make.

Cons

It is remarkably easy to get lost or miss important items as a user of any type (teacher, student or parent). There is no ability to prioritise certain classes or threads, and the only way to post items is in the rolling general chat thread. The pinned item space is a limited area in the left margin, so to find anything you have to (1) go into the correct class/course and (2) scroll down past all other posts (including student chatter) to hopefully find the right thing in the timeline. If students or teachers are registered for multiple classes, there is no way to pin, prioritize or re-organize the order of classes, either for yourself or for your students. This means that 'Homeroom' is buried under a mountain of inactive classes or classes I'm no longer teaching.

I'm sorry you're having an unsatisfactory experience with Edsby. Edsby was built in Ontario for the needs of Ontario educators. If you haven't used Edsby's ON Ministry Growing Success-friendly gradebook, you're missing a huge part of the value of Edsby. Re: ordering Edsby classes and groups, click and drag them on your Edsby desktop into any order you like. Your reordering is respected on all devices....

The Best Educational Management Tool Solution

I find Edsby is the ideal all in one classroom management tool. Edsby allows me to present lessons with a variety of image and video formats, evaluate, post results with comments in a way that resonates with students and is accessible to parents.

Pros

1. Intuitive layout 2. Very user-friendly for both teachers and students 3. The ability to incorporate various attachment formats such as .jpeg hyperlinks and .wmv files

Cons

I wish when accessing assignments for marking in the grade book the list on the right-hand side would show I have marked it and not require I click on the assignment on the list on the right in order to affect the number of unmarked assignments. I open the assignment and add comments by clicking on the assignment from the list on the grade book screen.

Easy to use educational software for attendance, grades, and communication.

Pros

Clear and easy to use. Accessible in mobile and regular format. "One-stop shopping" for your educational communication: space for anecdotal and numerical grades, ability to communicate directly with students and or parents, attendance entry and communication with the office. Edsby allows parents to monitor their child's completion of assignments, grades, and what has happened each day in class. Students who are away on family vacations or sports trips can keep track of what happens in class. Teachers can post handouts as well, giving students the ability to complete homework even if they forget a binder at school. Simple and clear format.

Cons

I am generally pleased with how Edsby works. Any complaints I have are with small details. For example, the reportcard portion of Edsby lacks some of the features of a dedicated gradebook program. Also, I asked the customer service message board if there was a way to print out the curriculum expectations that we select for assignments (which are already in Edsby) at the end of semester, but have not received a response - customer service was much more responsive a few years ago.

Edsby Communication Tool

Daily use of Edsby is cohesive and timely. The staff at Edsby are always there to help.

Pros

Edsby offers a very successful communication tool to schools. Edsby links, Administrators, Teachers, Students and Parents with day to day knowledge of the academic and personal progress of students.

Cons

With COVID 19 is would be great if Edsby could integrate Edusafe Screening with their program.

Thanks, Jeanne. Appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions of Edsby. We're looking at how to best capture medical screening data. Watching for data standards to solidify.

Edsby For Middle School

Great for Online

Pros

VERY Student Friendly. Kids can easily navigate and find work

Cons

I wish the weighting of assignments and not just the points that could be scored.

Review of Edsby

We got in with Edsby when they were new and very small. They have grown tremendously but still stay connected and grow from interaction with their member schools.

Pros

Edsby gives us the ability to connect learners, parents and teachers so that all parties can rally behind the learning and experience of students. It is easy to use and yet has depth which allows our savvy teachers to continue to discover and share features.

Cons

There are always ways in which Edsby needs to adjust to new circumstances, but they are quite adept at responding to these new challenges.

Edsby is a great school management tool

Edsby is a great teaching and learning tool, but it needs to move forward to be more user friendly for synchronous learning.

Pros

I enjoy the way a class is organized in different subjects and how teachers can be co-administrators.

Cons

There is no way to set up a post to be published in the future or to pin it to the top of the conversation.

Thanks, Julia. To capture a sent post at the top of an Edsby class or group, hover over it (in a web browser) and select "Pin," like you would "Like", or "Reply." It's there. Looking at incorporating more features specifically for remote learning.

Edsby Feedback

Overall I would continue to use edsby in hope that it becomes less glitchy through final stages of piloting of new features, however I would not recommend its use to staff members who are not digitally strong or for staff members who have special education students as it is currently difficult to incorporate many students into the platform. For some teachers, there is a larger amount of patience, unreliability, and problems at this point.

Pros

I appreciate the interconnectedness of all features and the flexibility of features. The features strongly support teaching practices through Ministry outlined documents such as "Growing Success". The Classroom (Parent & Students), and gradebook are very powerful features. The team is quick to apply feedback to make improvements to workflow and many time-saving features. Edsby offers the ability to collect qualitative data and process it quickly and easily in a manner that students, teachers and parents can understand. The capacity of the calendars and classroom river feeds far surpass many other platforms currently available. Students can have access to a modern classroom and new ways of learning that will support their learning immediately and in the real world.

Cons

The software often has bugs, and difficulty running some scripts. The platform sometimes creates redundancies through teachers and students. The number of redundancies sometimes make it difficult(slow) to use the platform efficiently. Ex. The form to adjust staff assignments and student assignments cannot be edited by admin since it can only be opened to all schools. Staff have access to more student records and other staff records that they should not. Looking forward to a sufficient solution to this problem and more consideration for classrooms that have different structures (ex. Special Education, students with modified schedules or schedules that are continuing to change).

Thanks for the candid feedback. Researching your issues, I learned Edsby had some problems at your district -- YRDSB, 123,000 students on Edsby at 200 schools! -- the first few months of this school year (2018-2019) but we're confident we've solved many of them. Re: staff access to student panoramas in some cases (such as in groups), we're looking at making all of these cases customer-configurable....

We have had Edsby since its inception. We are pleased with most of what it does and aspires to be.

It connects teachers, students, and administrators together in an effective way. It is a very good student management system and interface that has the potential to be great.

Pros

The connections that it allows among families, students, teachers and administrators. The overall look makes sense with grades on one side, the feed in the centre and the courses and libraries on the other side. It is easy to read and fairly intuitive. As an administrator, I like that I can see most everything so with one piece of software, I can get a good sense of what is going on overall but I also can get granularity, as I need. I like the ability to Broadcast messages. I like the ability to get an overview of a student, current as well as past, and a peek into the future re: courses and grades. The Report Card feature works well.

Cons

NUMBER 1 by far: There are no administrative master switches to do things such as turn off all grades or make them universally the same for all classes. There are certain times of the year that the look for parents and students should be the same. I either have to get each teacher to do it or give someone access to get it done for everyone. This is annoying. The inability for Edsby to change from...

Thanks for sharing your views on Edsby. Am pleased to share that your number one concern is unfounded - there IS a way in Edsby to do what you seek: you can push class setup options from a course model. Our head of customer success would like you to contact him so he can describe how to do this so you never have to manually do this again! He'd also like to find out more about your schedule concerns. You can reach him as bob(at)edsby.com or toll-free: +1 (877) 337-0070.

Everything you need in one place

Edsby has been very easy to work with. They are responsive and work to find compromises where our district may do something different from the norm. The software has grown significantly over last 5 years and includes much more than we originally planned, making Edsby a powerful tool in our district for communicating with students and parents.

Pros

As a parent, I want to be able to see everything my students are doing quickly and easily. Edsby allows easy access to all of my students (I have 4 at 4 different schools!) from one dashboard for any grade level. It doesn't matter if I'm on the mobile app or in the browser, the information is easy to access. I can also reach out directly to their teachers. Recent updates have also enabled push notifications...

Cons

New features come fast! Its hard to keep teachers informed of new features as they arrive and help them use the features to their fullest capabilities.

Edsby - Where learning happens!

Pros

Edsby is an all in one solution. I use it for quizzes, rubrics, grade managing and reporting, sharing authentic online resources and scheduling. I love the fact that I can have students write a self-correcting quiz that automatically shows up in the Gradebook module. I have instant access to all my students' contact information, allowing me to easily contact them through messaging. Even though Edsby has a file management system, I can easily integrate Google Drive and other tools within it. It has made one step to closer to the paperless classroom easier. Edsby allows my students and I to stay organised and content and structure can easily be imported into the next school semester/year.

Cons

Some glitches are still present in the quiz maker where auto-saving sometimes corrupts the layout of the quiz. Attached files in quizzes get removed when transferring quizzes between folders. The end of unit/cycle names aren't visible in some-drop down menus if they are too long. Self-populating expectations no longer show up when you enter the expectation codes corresponding to them in the assessment creator. All these are minor glitches that can be ironed out through the customer service ticket system.

Still in start-up mode

Custom report cards. 3rd party LMS instead of internal LMS.

Pros

Meets our government regulatory compliance requirements. Awesome gradebook. Solid report cards. Pulls parent contact information, student contact information, teacher contact information, rooms and schedules from our SIS nightly. Changes are not updated in real time, but are updated within one day.

Cons

New features and updates are rolled out seemingly at the last minute. (ie 7pm notification of an overnight upgrade). Does not match the school year. Pull integration only with our SIS. Rigid roles. Parent account creation for parents that we want to authenticate with AD is problematic. Support department is only 2 people. Attendance is difficult. Does not allow users with multiple roles, ie teacher...

Daily Classwork Progress

My children have been using Edsby in their elementary, middle and high school for several years now. It is easy to keep up with their school work, upcoming assignments, tests and grades. It is helpful when they are absent since teachers usually post their daily work. It has been a great tool to stay up to date with their progress in each class.

Pros

Easy to use and view all schoolwork. Stay on top of my children's daily work and know what their grades are.

Cons

When you open an individual class it will not allow you to view the graph and assignments at the same time. Instead you have to go back to the class to open them individually. It makes viewing much slower. It would be easier if once at the class you could view both.

Edsby LMS - Best of Breed

Our school has been using Edsby for 3 years now - it is quite simply the best of breed when it comes to LMS portals. There is nothing I have seen that comes close to its power, simplicity of use, and - most importantly - educational effectiveness. It integrates with our Blackbaud SIS, so pulls all student, teacher and parents into the cloud. We have 100% uptake by our teaching faculty and students,...

Cons

Edsby from a student's perspective

Having used Edsby for the past 3 1/2 years in high school, it is an incredibly useful tool for staying organizied and being successful. I would highly recommend this tool to other schools for its features and ease of use.

Pros

-Edsby effectively aggregates all my school-related info in one place - the class page is the most useful in showing lesson content, unit plans, daily journals, and upcoming assessments on one page -I can (obsessively) check my current grades for any class at any time -It's easy to keep up with school news and extracurriculars in different groups -Office Online integration enables me to view Word/PowerPoint/Excel documents without having the desktop apps installed

Cons

-Certain features from the August 2018 update are undeveloped, such as the Emoji confidence indicator and document preview in the Content library -The iOS app feels slow and buggy; it can take several seconds to load some class pages or groups

Edsby is a reliable helper.

I work in education and with Edsby I can communicate with all parents, I have access to all the students information and data, I love the graphs generated and I am really looking forward to using it during interviews with parents. An image speaks louder than words abd EDSBY is an advocate for both students and teachers voices.

Pros

I loved the pedagogical documentation features.I can take a picture or a video of my student and all their hands on work. This is work that when my students would finish, it would be lost, the manipulatives would be placed in bins and their thinking would not be documented unless I would go around and had enough time to take anecdotal notes for all students on that project. Edsby saves me time, helps me organise my students work, values students voice and participation, helps record all of the assessment as learning done in the classroom.

Cons

I feel that the planner feature needs a lot of improvements. I would love to do all my planning online and then have a potential supply have direct access to them before coming to my classroom. It would also be a great tool to creating equitable working environments where all teachers use the same planners and are not "judged" on their technological literacy.

Edsby is great - there are tons of great features and it's user-friendly.

Online test option, seating plan, calendar function, student and parent communication, attaching files/assignments for absent students, due dates, etc.

Pros

I like the fact that I can communicate with students and parents in terms of due dates, test dates, missed work (I post what I do in class everyday and attach any assignments), as well as progress in the course (missing assignments, marked assignments, etc.).

Cons

I don't like how I can't enter multiple mark sets at time. I also wish there were attendance sheets with dates at the top (not the blank mark sheets). I also wish we could make our own names for what goes in the mark bucket (the drop-down list is good, but I wish I could choose the names of some of my items - example: "Fitness" for phys ed class). I wish there was a save function for report carding because I've had it happen where I've lost my internet connection and therefore, lost my recent comments for students.

I use Edsby as my class website, to track student marks and as my complete daybook.

The best part for me is the Course Plan with the daily organization allowing me to include PPTs, videos, notes, etc...

Pros

I like the organization of the Course plan as I appreciate the daily record of my notes and resources. I appreciate the interactive aspect of the wall for classroom participation. It's helpful that handouts can be posted to reduce photocopy waste especially since students often interact comfortably with online text.

Cons

The online platform that I used to use for my class website was a lot more visually appealing. The Grade book aspect is a little not-userfriendly and has less functionality that the previous program I used. I would REALLY appreciate the ability to separate formative assessment from summative. For example, I like to use the online multiple choice questions the gauge their thinking as we go; however, when I am looking at their marks, I do not want them to be included. It is significant enough that I will either stop using the online quizzes or I will choose another software for keeping track of marks.

Great product

Edsby allows us to centralize all learning-related communication into one management system quite effectively.

Pros

Really like the electronic reporting system that allows parents and students to see students' cumulative learning via Edsby accounts. Communication with all stakeholders occurs very easily and reliably through Edsby, by way of class posts to share assignments, messaging, and sharing of results of assessments. Edsby has an unmistakable and positive influence on learning climate in school culture.

Cons

Messaging allows user to see current feed. It would be helpful to be able to search for particular information in feed sent previously. Locating and linking to curriculum expectations in Edsby's Planner requires a fair amount of scrolling. I found this feature easier to use prior to August, 2019.

Edsby covers all the bases of what you would want on an easy to use platform

This software merges all platforms a teacher could use into one, easy to use, succinct tool.

Pros

The all-in-one functionality of Edsby is most helpful. Grade book, attendance, announcements, calendar, parent and student records/communication, seating plans, library of course material and bulletins for overarching course goals.

Cons

The Library does not serve me. I have to reupload my course material every time I teach the course, even if I'm teaching the same course twice in the same semester. I have to delete auto-posted files from the feed that end up in the library otherwise it will become quickly over-run, confusing and ineffective as a communicative tool.

Roy, you should contact the Edsby prime at your school or our support team at support@edsby.com - you can INDEED re-copy class libraries, and any curriculum you've developed in Edsby, from class to class. No need to reinvent the wheel every time.

Edsby is the best platform for connecting students and parents to what is happening in classes!

Edsby is an excellent product, superior to any combination of communication-gradebook-class posting packages that are out there. There are many superb features - the gradebook, the report cards, the groups - and some areas where I know development is still working to improve - message facility, how to add clients easily, making Edsby more fun and whimsical for students. Overall, fantastic product that server our community well.

Pros

Gradebook Messages Posting of Class content for reference Parent accounts

Cons

Unexpected changes - I know they get announced to us, and this is part of development How cumbersome it can be for parents to create an account and link to their students The mobile apps need upgraded in view and performance

Satisfied Edsby user.

As the Academic Administrative Assistant, I find that Edsby is a great office tool for communicating to parents, students and staff.

Pros

Teachers can take attendance and send it to the office easily. I like being able to send messages to students and parents.

Cons

It is hard to find a thread of conversation in messages and I am not able to forward a message to someone or add a person to the conversation thread. It is sometimes difficult to maneuver from student to student when comparing or updating information. The same for parents.

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

Ā© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.