Lectora

Web-based interactive content authoring software

Lectora Reviews

john c.

The ease of use and the power of this software is outstanding. I am going to use it now to simulate how to operate medical devices like the consoles of ultrasound devices.

Jeffry G.

Clemens A.

Cons

The biggest challenge I experience is incorporating videos into my on line courses. I master it and then do not use it for several months and struggle again.

Brenda R.

This was annoying as it happened every time I opened the same module. There are still bugs in the system.

Christine M.

Often times I would go to open a module and it would say pieces were missing so I had to find them again in folders in order to proceed.

Christine M.

4.4

Lectora Review

We have used Lectora for over 10 years and find it to be the most stable authoring software, and the most flexible if we need to add additional programming outside of what is available within Lectora.

Pros

This is the most powerful and flexible authoring software, although there is a learning curve. It is great for those that are responsible for developing eLearning.

Cons

Support has not been as responsive as they used to be. However, now that ELB is in charge, I'm sure that will change for the better. When new updates are released, there can be problems when updating older courses because the new programming does not always match to previous programming.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for highlighting one of Lectora's greatest strengths, the flexibility to meet any learning need. Customer support is also very important to us. In addition to making continuous improvements to Lectora, we are committed to providing an exceptional customer experience, and look forward to demonstrating that commitment first hand.

Power to Unleash Your Potential

The Lectora support team and community is very helpful.

Pros

The interface is super easy to use and provides quick access to advanced features. I usually work from a blank page or corporate template where I have complete control of design and programming. Adding actions to objects is very helpful. The properties ribbon gives me quick access to all the information I need. There is often many ways to do something and I can easily experiment to find the best method. Adding exams, surveys, knowledge checks, progress bars, custom menus, variables, HTML windows, and JavaScript, are all easy to do. If you want to create adaptive courses to personalize learning, Lectora is by far the easiest program to use.

Cons

With power comes a few caveats. Occasionally a deleted action does not get deleted. The solution is to rebuild the action using a different name. Moving an object using xy coordinates is easy, but there is no easy way of detecting those coordinates. Having that feature would make designing games much easier. The recent addition of Elearning Brothers assets is great. I just wish the search feature worked better. After each search you have to start from the beginning. There is no way to select multiple objects or save searches.

Thank you for underscoring the flexibility of Lectora to build content in multiple ways and the extensibility to incorporate other web technologies. Your points are fantastic! We also forwarded your feedback to our product team. We greatly value long-time users like you and want you to know we are committed to continuous innovation and improvement.

Wenig intuitiv, holprig. veraltert. Übersetzung ins Deutsche ist ein Witz.

Pros

Viele Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten, Responsive Design. Funktionsumfang und Testmöglichkeiten sind gut.

Cons

Die Übersetzung ins Deutsche ist mehr als mangelhaft. So gibt es z. B. die Funktion: "Staaten einstellen" - gemeint ist damit die Möglichkeit, den Status eines Objektes zu setzen. Die absolut unbrauchbare Hilfetexte wurden offenbar hin und her übersetzt. Ergebnis: ein völlig unverständlicher Textsalat, der jeder Beschreibung spottet. Ein Beispiel: wo im deutschen Satz der Artikel "die" stehen müsste,...

Lectora Online used Globally

I really enjoy Lectora Online. I wish I could spend more of my time developing and organizing the tool for our global training teams because this tool has the capability to make a huge impact on leading a Global training organization like no other.

Pros

Having a tool that can allow teams globally to work on projects is invaluable. Auto back up of all projects is great. Adding the text to speech is a nice touch. Now having the ability to import PPT slides inside a title using a corporate template was a much appreciated addition.

Cons

Syncing audio with on screen animations (having a timeline similar to Articulate/Storyline) would be great. Having built in functionality to add the audio script to each slide to be able to be read. Having some built in games again (jeopardy, basketball, skiing down a slope, etc.) like the flash games that was in previous versions. The responsive design is a bit clunky at times and could use some improvement. I have had a couple internal teams say that tools like Articulate 360 handles responsive design better.

Hi Dave, thank you so much for your review! I passed on your comments to Joe (chief architect) and rest assured, a timeline is coming!

Lectora Inspire for Online Course Development

We use Lectora Inspire to create all of our online training. There is a learning curve for the system but I found it very intuitive once I began creating content. I have used a few other authoring tools in my career and Lectora is my personal preference. The downfalls of the system are offset by the additional software that comes included in this package. While there are some changes I would love to see, my overall experience with Lectora is positive and I would recommend it over the other tools I have used.

Pros

- Makes great courses - Can output projects to a number of formats (scorm, AIC, etc). - Continuous updates - Software fits the needs of any experience level - Allows for total customization of courses - Responsive design feature allows you to optimize your course for different hardware (tablets, phones, and PC) without having to create three entirely different courses - The Lectora Inspire package also includes the a screen capture and image editing software called Snagit and the video recording/editing software Camtasia. These are great additions and I use Snagit many times throughout the day. - Reviewlink is another addition to the software package that allows courses to be easily shared among stakeholders and evaluators before the course is uploaded to our learning management system.

Cons

- Terrible customer support. The one time I've actually been able to get ahold of someone, they insisted that the problem was due to my computer. Thankfully, every time I encountered a problem, I was able to solve it using Google. - Many of the advanced features are inaccessible meaning they do not meet Section 508 requirements. - The training that they provide on the software is very overpriced. Hundreds of dollars just to have someone walk you through a manual page by page. - Compared to competitors, the price for the Inspire package is justified. However, it is still expensive in general than I believe it really should be.

Features and Flexibilty

Lectora has allowed me to publish eLearning. It is the bedrock of my business.

Pros

The use of variables allow me to do just about anything I can imagine. there are several built in but I can add as many as I want and then reference them when building actions.

Cons

A few years back Lectora changbed the way I can add "events" in an audio file. I used to be able to open up the audio file and place a trigger in the wave form in the exact spot where I needed it. I can't do that anymore and it is not as accurate.

Hi Art, we are so sorry you are running into issues with the audio files. We reached out to see if you can meet with us one-on-one. I think you will also see a huge improvement with support since Lectora is now owned by eLearning Brothers. We truly appreciate your loyalty and our clients are our top priority. We're looking forward to meeting with you.

A great tool to create online courses

A powerful tool that lets you create any kind of elearning content, from highly interactive educational games and scenario-based learning courses to PowerPoint-like SCORM modules.

Pros

It is a powerful development tool that allows easy integration of many technologies into online courses. You can add tons of features by connecting Lectora to PHP, JSP, Javascript, HTML and so on. It has on the other side the easy of use of a visual editing tool. Among the other features, the capability to preview and edti mobile applications both in portrait and landscape orientation for tablet and smartphones alike.

Cons

The learning curve of the more advanced features is somewhat steep for people not accustomed to software development. If no advanced features are required, even people without IT skills can create SCORM modules in a matter of a few hours with Lectora.

Great review! Thank you for underscoring the flexibility of Lectora to build content in multiple ways, including the extensibility to incorporate other web technologies. We greatly value long-time users like you and want you to know we are committed to continuous innovation and improvement.

Creative, Thinking, Engaging, Easy

Pros

I love that if I can think of it, I can make Lectora do it! Just have to find out how! I like the layout and design of the user interface, as it makes it very easy to transition between different programs. I also love that it is already integrated into many of the other development tools I use (eLearning Bros, BranchTrack, etc.)

Cons

When new versions rollout I feel as though I have to be careful about updating due to bugs. It's tough to have to decide whether to update right away or wait for the first fix to come out because I always want the upgrade, but also don't want the issues.

Lectora is quite simply the best authoring tool in the world.

Pros

Its ability to produce content simply and rapidly, whilst also having extraordinary flexibility and capability.

Cons

Its not free, but seriously no authroing tool can be all things, so Lectora has very few limitations (I cannot think of any) but if all you want is a page of text with image and few simple clicks, then go and get something for free - or build something in google slides.

Thank you for the review! We truly appreciate your comments and value your loyalty.

Lectora Inspire has been great over the years, building MANY e-learning modules, now web utilities.

I can usually find a way to create any feature the customer wants in a course. I was also able to perform basic "programming" of several utilities that I can launch and distribute via the web.

Pros

The capabilities of Lectora has ever increased, staying one or two steps ahead of the competition in the elearning development space. It is the most capable of all of the authoring software tools I have evaluated.

Cons

I would like for lectora to migrate towards enabling the development of utilities a little more. The logic built into Lectora gets very close to enabling the creation of tools (web tools) but falls short when it comes to data / information management and integration, especially when it comes to integration with databases or even spreadsheets. I believe you could align to the new information analytics industry by building in more date management integration features (perhaps in an separate add-on module?).

Powerful tool for highly interactive productions.

We mainly do customized web based learning for a wide range of clients. The productions differ from low cost rapid productions to more expensive productions with fairly advanced interactions.

Pros

Lectora is a powerful authoring tool when it comes to highly interactive productions. The part I like the most is the extensive capability of adding extarnal code such as JavaScript or any other web based functionality.

Cons

I miss the ability to use something else than absolute and fixed positioning. It would be nice to be able to control the positioning av object with relative and even static methods. Automated production methods could also be improved. Things like making color schemes that could be applied within the software, without using external css and the ability to adjust several objects through the whole title in the same time.

Thank you for underscoring one of Lectora's greatest strengths, the extensibility to add custom code and integrate with web applications. We value your suggestions and have forwarded your feedback to our product team. We encourage you add future ideas to the feedback section of ROCKSTAR Community where fellow users will be able to see and vote for features they would also like to see implemented.

Lectora = MOST ROBUST authoring software

Pros

I love how creative a designer can be with the tool. There's not a lot of limitations within the software. Users can build everything right in the tool, or integrate external graphics, audio, video, code, etc. to expand its capability. Lectora grows with the developer. In other words, it can be used a the most basic level (with templates), or it can be the perfect for the most skilled/advanced developer. As skills grow, developers can continue to apply those skills to build more and more robust/interactive courses with Lectora.

Cons

Some of the features (especially when first released) can be a little clunky. Over the years (I've used Lectora since 2010) the tool has really been improved with regard to user interface.

Thank you for sharing how Lectora supports the limitless creativity of our authors! We are always amazed by the variety of incredible content. We greatly appreciate you being a long time user and want you to know we are committed to continued improvements to the software, including methods to assist authors at all skill levels.

Lectora Inspire is the ONLY tool needed for eLearning Development

With Lectora Inspire, I can create 508 compliant courses and feel 100% confident that it will work the way it should with the various readers. I also love the ease in using Lectora; I don't need to know a lot of JavaScript to make the software do particular things, like I do if a client insists that I use different software.

Pros

I love Lectora. I have been using the software for over 16 years and it is hands down the easiest and most complete elearning software on the market.

Cons

I would like to see the Community User group be more involved and active like it was years ago.

As I long-time developer I have always felt the flexibility and power of Lectora is second to none.

The ability to create realistic learner-centric e-Learning modules.

Pros

I like having the freedom to develop the way I need to for a realistic design that stimulates learning. In other words, I should only be limited by what the learner can do in a real-life situation (on-the-job). Lectora allows me to take that 'reality' goal, and blend it with creative and practical designs that are easily programmed in an e-Learning module, because it gives me the ability to touch any object in order to achieve the design. At the same time, it doesn't 'mess with my stuff' - like how I've labeled objects etc.

Cons

I miss having the Properties dialogue box from earlier versions, but I'm getting used to the Ribbon.

Do it all - and then some.

I've been using Lectora in various versions for 15 years now. I absolutely adore the platform and have a hard time believing that anything else will ever replace it in my eyes.

Pros

Lectora is only limited by your ability to develop a process to do what you want it to do. The tools are all there. I've managed to develop interactivities and processes in Lectora that I couldn't dream of in other authoring tools.

Cons

The UI has not been updated in a number of years. On the plus side, that makes it easy to find everything, but it does have a very dated look to it.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and fantastic feedback! We are working to make big improvements in Lectora 21. This includes a big UI makeover!

I really enjoy Lectora because it is almost limitless it what you can do with the software.

Being able to create a wide variety of activities and different learning modules. Being able to really think outside the box and not be limited to what the software can do.

Pros

I think the best feature of Lectora is being able to import almost any media into the software. This allows the user to take a variety of assets and combine them into one learning module. Also, Lectora offers a wide range of actions that you can assign to assets, pages, and the complete module itself. This allows the developer to almost create any kind of activity, learning module, or idea the developer can think of. There hasn't been anything yet that I have thought of for an activity, and haven't been able to create it somehow with the Lectora software.

Cons

The software can have a steep learning curve to it. There is other software that can be used for eLearning creation that is easier to learn. If your company is really looking for top notch, robust software, Lectora is the way to go. Even with the steep learning curve, Trivantis has an amazing community that offers a lot of support and ideas for Lectora. Unless you have a dedicated developer to Lectora, this may not be the best software to use.

Very Responsive, Feature Loaded

It helps differentiate our learning solutions from that of the competition. Theirs are rather two dimensional and limited in presentation.

Pros

I like the fact there are some many nuances to the features. Every week, I encounter something new. It really helps to keep our offerings very competitive and fresh.

Cons

Some of the features take time to learn, but that can be said of any complex solution. The more advanced the features, the more time you need to invest to maximize your potential. That trade-off is to be expected.

Thank you, Chris, for the great review! You made some grade points! We are starting to roll out new videos to help users take advantage of more complex features.

The power of Lectora

I have used, trained and supported Lectora for over 5 years and have always found a way to achieve what the desired outcome.

Pros

Lectora has an amazing amount of customisation options and power if you know what you are doing.

Cons

Lectora can be intimidating if you are used to “lighter” tools. But it is worth learning how to use properly.

Thank you for your review and highlighting the customization abilities with Lectora. We are committed to continued improvements to the software, including methods to assist authors at all skill levels. For readers of this review, be sure to check out our rockstar.elearningbrothers.com community where fellow eLearning developers actively engage in conversations.

Powerful program without needing to code

The ability to be able to create custom SCORM training that interfaces with multiple platforms.

Pros

Maximum flexibility in course design.You are free to apply what you want and how you want to your training course then point and click scripting allows you to put your custom interaction to the training without needing a degree in coding.

Cons

Because the program is powerful and not a cookie cutter you are going to need some training to get up and running. But once you get a little experience you will be very glad on the investment. Tons of free nugget training can walk you though each item. Great community and conference backing you up.

Lectora is the Cadillac of content development software. Quick and helpful tech support!

Can publish with SCORM to multiple LMS possibilities. Great test and survey functionality.

Pros

Many options for test and survey questions -- especially like the multiple answer multiple choice questions and the ability to insert graphics. I have found the tech support to be superb on most occasions - -which is paramount -- quick and efficient response to problems.

Cons

I need more control over the bullet and numbering in terms of indention and spacing., especially with multiple levels of outline. Would like more kerning and leading possibilities. Also need more shapes to use.

Once a king

It's mighty, but if you're not in dire need of all of the capabilities, you're likely to go for another option with fully responsive design and a nicer UI.

Pros

For medium sized companies with an internal educations department, Lectora Online is a well dimensioned tool to create contents. They are kind of responsive and the interaction-possibilities are quite impressive.

Cons

Lectora Online is a very text-heavy tool with an UI straight from the depths of 1990-hell. The amount of functionalities, while being a major advantage, is extremely hard to navigate and there are other tools with an equal amount of possibilities, at a comparable price, with a nicer look and feel.

I've been using Lectora for over 10 years and have always been pleased with the software.

Rapid development, complex functionality, adherence to learning standards, reliable performance.

Pros

The complexity of pages I can create with variables, actions, and conditions. Coming into a project, I feel like there's no challenge I can't overcome with the software.

Cons

Many of my clients expect the "resizable" attribute you get when viewing Flash generated content. The addition of responsive design has helped alleviate much of this concern. Being limited to executing a single animation on an object at one time is limiting.

great out of the box authoring tool

Pros

Lectora is a good e authoring tool, it comes with a lot of built in elements that allows you to buy courses immediately with very little training. It is very intuitive and very easy to use. If you have any experience with other tools this will be an easy transition. The customer support is great and it's a great tool.

Cons

Doesn't have as much variety as storyline but it's easier to use than captivate and is great for a beginner to get into.

Lectora Inspire comes with a lot of great add-ins that make creating a course quick and easy.

The great add-ins from buying the software: BranchTrack, eLearning Brothers, Camtasia, Snagit, and Reviewlink. They also seem to be the best software for 508 compliance.

Pros

Probably the add-ins that come along with your purchase of Lectora. This includes eLearning Brothers that has templates, cut out people, and stock images that you can easily add to your course. They also have BranchTrack where you can create scenarios quickly. Camtasia is great for all your audio needs. Cutting and editing video has never been so easy. Reviewlink is a great way to show your end product to your stakeholders. They can offer feedback per slide and you can easily remediate.

Cons

My representative doesn't always get back to me in a timely manner. There seems to be a lot of back-and-forth when it comes to emailing customer support. Knowing that every slide inherits properties, images, etc. from the parent slide can be a pain because you have to tell the software what NOT to inherit.

I have been using Lectora Online years. It is a very powerful and collaborative authoring tool.

Collaboration with other designers and the ability to great courses without being limited by authoring tool limitations.

Pros

If you can imagine it, it will probably do it. I love the ability to collaborate with other designers on the same project.

Cons

A little, and I do mean a little, harder to learn than its less powerful competitors. The learning curve is a little longer but the pay off is totally worth it.