Nearpod

Student engagement platform for the education sector

Nearpod Reviews - Page 2

Nearpod my students love time to climb!!

The customer service is hard to get in touch with. I guess it’s better for district level!

Pros

My students look forward to their daily time 2 climb. They software makes it so easy to get instant feedback and quizzes. The draw it feature lets them fill in PDFs and do drawings. The timer that you can set it also awesome because it paces them during each activity.

Cons

The only real con I have with this is that it’s sooo expensive for the full version.

Amazing Resource for Student Engagement

Its an amazing tool that all teachers need to have in their arsenal. As a teacher, I used it daily and it was my go-to presentation creator.

Pros

Nearpod is a must-have - especially during this period of remote learning. Nearpod is an amazing tool that promotes student engagement and collaboration. Its like PowerPoint/Google Slides on steroids. Teachers can easily create engaging activities, complete formative assessment checks, and connect students remotely through self-paced or teacher-led lessons. The Nearpod Extensions for Google Slides also makes it even easier to transform your static presentations into engaging learning experiences.

Cons

When students join a session, Nearpod simply asks them to type their name. It would be great if they implemented some type of SSO option so it automatically logs students' names. This would significantly cut down on the number of inappropriate things students may type in as names.

Provides Effective Interactive Lessons

Nearpod has been a very useful tool for presenting material and evaluating student performance. It is simple to use and has functionality that has enhanced my classroom instruction.

Pros

Nearpod allows me to upload my slideshows seamlessly to the platform. It allows "real-time" checking for understanding for my students to alleviate misconceptions immediately. The feature for assigning the presentation as homework is also useful for absent students. In addition, the ability to add voice to the lessons really enhances the comprehension of the material for my students.

Cons

It is difficult to grade the results of the students' responses because the software does not notify you when a student has submitted an assignment nor does it upload to learning management systems. When a student submits an assignment late, I do not know evaluate their performance and post their results in the electronic gradebook.

Instruction Made Easy

Pros

I love how you can use just about any type of media with a Nearpod presentation. You are able to design directly in Nearpod with the slides or you can upload presentations from Microsoft or Google files.

Cons

I do experiencing some issues with saving from time to time. Nearpod does not seem to function well if you have more than 1 presentation in edit mode. Sometimes I like to work side by side to double check both presentations follow the same format. Unfortunately this means that Nearpod does not always save my work.

Nearpod in the classroom

Overall, the interactive nature of Nearpod makes lessons engaging and fun for the pupils. The teacher is able to receive and give instant feedback to their students.

Pros

Nearpod is a very useful alternative to PowerPoint presentations that keep your students active in the lesson. Nearpod uses a basic PowerPoint presentation which is displayed on the pupils devices but gives you the option to add questions or make students draw on a diagram making it interactive. The teacher has a dashboard whereby you can view all your pupils responses and then single out responses to display for further discussion.

Cons

Making a presentation from scratch on the Nearpod site can be time consuming but if you already have a PowerPoint presentation that you can upload and then add to it, it is much better. Unfortunately, any animations in your original PowerPoint will be lost.

Self-Paced and Interactive Presentations

Overall, it has done what I needed and allows me to control a presentation or push out some fun interactive elements to help keep students on their toes and assess quickly and efficiently.

Pros

Love the ability to create presentations or upload presentations I have previously created into NearPod and insert more interactive elements within them. There is a variety of question types and features. One really useful note is that you can control the presentation on your end, but have students or those attending your session view a different screen. This feature is great when designing virtual guided tours. I also appreciate that NearPod has integrated itself with Schoology LMS. Big bonus.

Cons

Honestly I don't have too much. The one gripe I have is that this is a great tool to enhance interaction and engagement, but relies on teacher-led instruction at the forefront. With a push toward self-directed/personalized learning, this may be a drawback. But this is a good tool to get you started with tech integration, or move toward VR as an element to your classroom.

Interactive Presentation App for Multiple Learning Intelligences

I am happy I have this resource to use in my classroom. I wish I had more time to develop more lessons.

Pros

I have been a Nearpod user since 2012 (almost the beginning). I have seen the program evolve over time into a more and more dynamic platform for teachers to update their presentations and add interactive elements like polls, quizzes, virtual 360 tours, videos, audio, and worksheets. The pre-made presentations that come with a site license can be a huge time saver.

Cons

With time, Nearpod has become more expensive. As a small school, we have had to make sacrifices to afford the site license. It can be hard getting faculty to feel comfortable using it because it is a new way of approaching presentations, but those who adopt them enjoy using it. It does require a time investment to build a lesson in Nearpod, but they are sharable and reusable.

Nearpod has transformed our classrooms

Nearpod has transformed our classrooms and allowed teachers to reach both face to face and virtual students at the same time. It has been an excellent tool for asynchronous learning.

Pros

The functionality of using Nearpod to share lessons is excellent. In today's classrooms where there are both face to face and virtual students, Nearpod has allowed teachers to reach all students at the same time. The teacher paced option allows teachers to control the pace. The student paced option is great for asynchronous work. The library of lessons has some great resources. My teachers love the ability to convert Google Slides into Nearpod lessons.

Cons

I would like to see a feature where students can work offline for those who may not have internet access at home. I hope that this in the works with the new integration that is coming with Google Classroom updates.

Unique Twist to Presentations

We used Nearpod to enhance presentations to groups of faculty and staff, in both large and small settings. We used the POLL activity to have all participants "vote" on which topics would be discussed. We had all topics set up in the Nearpod presentation. When participants voted -- we switched to appropriate slides. It was a great change-up from typical presentations and was received enthusiastically. Nearpos is also used quite effectively in the classroom. I like that I can use educational tools to enhance general communication.

Pros

It's so easy to include a wide variety of media into a Nearpod presentation. It's aimed primarily at classroom learning, in-person or virtual, but I've found it can enhance a standard business presentation to increase engagement.

Cons

Actually, there wasn't anything significant that I didn't like about Nearpod. If we ran into problems, it generally was generally due to users not the software.

An excellent interactive tool for teaching and learning

We use Nearpod to promote active learning in our teachers and trainers. It has enabled our tutors to get meaningful engagement in a variety of audience sizes (large lectures and small groups). The fact that it works reliably on students' devices both on the web and dedicated app makes it easy for learners to engage with.

Pros

Nearpod provides a seamless means of both presenting content and embedding interactions for learners to engage with on their own mobile devices. The variety of interactions is wide, allowing for all kinds of ways for students to engage. The set is growing all the time, e.g. the new 3D graphics function is very welcome! The ability to embed PowerPoint slides is very helpful (paid-for plans only) and the in-built slide content design toolset has really grown over the years to become much more viable. The paid-for plans also provide access to many other libraries of existing content.

Cons

The lover level paid-for plans are quite limited in the number of active users and the fact that >200 concurrent users requires a custom enterprise plan may put off smaller, not-for-profit organisations. It would be good to have larger audience users available in the lower tier plans.

Nearpod's games make studying fun for students

Nearpod is very good for introducing and presenting material to a group of people.

Pros

Nearpod has a fun drawing feature that allows students to be creative while answering questions. Nearpod is an interactive studying experience that allows teachers to view the knowledge of the students while allowing fun studying games. Some features are similar to Quizlet such as matching and the quiz feature. It is used in my child's Spanish class to help the students comprehend new vocabulary words.

Cons

I overall like this software, but sometimes it lags a little when people are submitting assignments. I wish there was a fullscreen feature on computers so that people are able to see it better. I feel like Quizlet is more helpful for studying, but Nearpod is very efficient on introducing new material.

Teachers Need Nearpod!

Great experience. These lessons are perfect for both whole group and center time. Students love them!!

Pros

I can create self guided lessons with primary sources. There are multiple ways for the students to learn and remain engaged with the lesson and each other!

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like, but I hope Nearpod continues to add new features for students.

Nearpod equals Student Engagement

It has been a very rewarding software for my classroom. I am able to start off with Do Nows, Check for Understanding, Closing activities and Quizzes all in one place.

Pros

I love the ability to add slides, activities and collaborative tools to improve student engagement and student learning retention. I love how easy it is to share my lessons with my students and colleagues.

Cons

I wish there was a bigger database of lessons I could use for my classes. I end up making most of my lessons from scratch.

Liven Up Your Presentations

Nearpod makes information engaging for students and adults alike. It makes delivering content much more efficient and rewarding for the participants.

Pros

As an educator, anything that makes lessons more engaging is a win. Nearpod makes a presentation interactive and engaging. Presentations can have interactive activities, videos with questions, and several other ways to keep students engaged. Nearpod presentations can be done live or self-paced. The self-paced feature was vital to moving to remote learning. My classes run much smoother now thanks to Nearpod.

Cons

The quiz section is slightly lacking. It would be helpful if there were more options for the types of questions for the quizzes. Currently, there are activities for fill in the blank, matching, and multiple choice. An option more conducive to vocabulary would be very useful.

Great product, especially for virtual learning!

I really enjoyed using it. It made it so easy to assign asynchronous lessons and we also used it to monitor our benchmark testing which was great. I requested that my campus and district purchase the license again this coming school year because I cannot see us going without it.

Pros

It is so easy to turn our boring powerpoints into interactive lessons with our students. They especially enjoy the Draw It and Collaboration Board features.

Cons

There really isn't anything to dislike. One thing that did concern me was that in the Nearpod Library, there are not many lessons that are ready to go, but I know as time goes on, more will be added so it was more of a temporary inconvenience.

Great For Virtual Learning

This is great for virtual learning. Students can see all notes and have quick check for understandings and the teacher can easily give immediate feedback. The incorporation of questions during the videos makes it nice to keep students actively engaged.

Pros

-Great for immediate student feedback -Teacher view lets you easily see data and student progress -Teacher view show names on answers and textbox while student view does not -Convert Google Slides to Nearpod -Add in questions during video clip -Nearpod Administrator can impersonate all users and see their nearpods and their data

Cons

-Sometimes slow to load for students, especially videos -Cannot draw

Nearpod for Distance Learning

Our teachers have been very pleased with Nearpod. They enjoy being able to collaborate and share lessons with colleagues. They have enjoyed using all the interactive features with students to vary lessons from day to day.

Pros

As a K-12 Instructional Technologist, our district decided to purchase Nearpod to support our face-to-face and virtual students and teachers at the middle and high school level. Since our teachers might have virtual or quarantined students at home, it's one of the best ways to keep students engaged while they are learning from home. Teachers are able to get real-time data and provide timely feedback

Cons

Nearpod was a bigger purchase for our district and that is why we never had it prior to this school year. We have found it to be a worthwhile purchase and a wonderful resource.

Nearpod

I have been very impressed with Nearpod. I definitely plan to continue using it with my students.

Pros

Our district has been piloting Nearpod premium. I am a middle school STEM teacher. I have used Nearpod before but never in my STEM classroom. I was impressed by the number of already created STEM lessons. I have used several of the career Nearpods with my students while we have been doing eLearning.

Cons

I really do not have any complaints. I love the new interactive features like Climb the Wall. We played that at a PD session and it was a lot of fun.

An absolute MUST for classrooms with technology

Pros

Nearpod has made my job (I'm a teacher) so much easier!! I love how Nearpod offers student paced lessons or teacher led lessons. This is a great way to differentiate instruction and allow students to work at their own pace. I have used Nearpod in my classroom and during staff meetings. It's very easy to use and there are several lessons you can use if you don't want to make your own. Students can also use this as a presentation tool!

Cons

I do wish there was a way that I could switch from teacher led to student paced throughout my presentation.

Replaces the Projector

This is a great product and Nearpod's customer service it great too!

Pros

What a great product! I love Nearpod because the students can see, up close my notes and videos, on their own screen! And I can control the slides!

Cons

I would like Nearpod to be more user-friendly for my students to do a group project or even an individual project.

Nearpod: Make your lesson interactive and engaging

Nearpod is really an amazing interactive online tool. I could say that it is the most loved software that I used in my entire life because everything is there. You just have to maximize the features and be creative in presenting your lesson to the class!

Pros

The feature that has the greatest impact on me is the interactive video. Unlike the usual pace of watching a video where the teacher will just ask questions right after the video, the teacher can pose questions in between the video and students may answer that verbally or through chat in the interactive video responses of the students.

Cons

I find the software easy to use. I don't experience difficulty using Nearpod.

Excellent Teaching Tool

Nearpod has been such a terrific addition to remote learning. I do believe that when we are all back face-to-face that I will continue to use it. It's also very handy when you just need something to fill that little bit of extra time during lessons.

Pros

I love that the system has pre-populated lessons, lessons that other users have submitted, and allows the user to create/tailor lessons to fit their need. Most of the lessons that I have found have been extremely easy to follow and engaging for students.

Cons

The search can sometimes take a little longer than I'd like, particularly when I know what I want, but can't seem to find an exact match right off the bat.

Improve Participation with one click

My personal experience with the software trumps the minor issue of being unable to recycle materials as it indeed have the student doting their i’s and crossing their t’s. Their engagement, particularly and behaviour during class has improved greatly while using this software.

Pros

The software has a feature in which you can add questions to videos, this is very effective in keeping the students focused on what they are required to learn. Addition to this, it increases the students attention span.

Cons

Though this software is great, like many other it has small challenges as to what it can achieve. What I did not enjoy while using this software was that after a month the materials that you created will automatically delete itself, so you cannot recycle the same material two months later for revision with the students.

Nearpod provides multiple tools on one platform

A very user friendly and engaging product that has been very helpful for distance learning and will continue to be so in the classroom.

Pros

Nearpod is excellent for creating interactive and engaging lessons. It takes slide presentations up considerable notches by allowing you to easily add elements such as polls, quizzes, videos and games. Lessons can be delivered live or set for student paced so students my view and interact on their own. It has been indispensable for distance learning.

Cons

The embedded quiz game is more suited for younger students. Otherwise, no complaints, it has continued to evolve and improve.

Mindblowing!

Pros

As a remote teacher, this is as good as it gets. Real-time assessment/feedback, usability is top notch, built-in questions are great, and the clean look and design is just a dream to use.

Cons

This is a costly product. You can be sure you get what you pay for, however.