Sycamore School Reviews

Pros

They provide helpful, easy to understand assistance in a timely fashion. Over other web-based programs we've used or reviewed, Sycamore stands out as the best value and highest quality for our money.

Tony R.

Overall I like the product. My school has started using more of the functionality of the software and receiving announcements and other important information has been helpful.

Melissa S.

Cons

This proposes to be a complete management tool for elementary and high schools. It is so buggy that all the parents in our school absolutely hate it.

3rd grade mom

I wonder if the schools purchasing the software, with the promise of a handy app for parents, know how bad the app is.

Chris T.

Kris A.

4.5

We've used Sycamore Education for six years. Great product!

Our old SI system was clunky and slow. Sycamore Education revolutionized our daily workload and processes. Highly recommended for private schools.

Pros

Ease of use. Customer support. Frequent updates/upgrades. Meets all IS needs for our private school.

Cons

Graphics, as well as look & feel could use an update. Wish this product would integrate with our online curriculum.

Very Intuitive Software to Use

Overall, Sycamore School has been a very positive change for our school. The cost of the product initially drew us in this direction. Had we known the quality of the product and ease of use, we would have changed even sooner than we did. We are so glad we changed 3 years ago!

Pros

Our school was able to implement the Sycamore system without a lot of support. The software is laid out in a way that is intuitive and logical. Most questions that we asked ourselves were easily discovered by our own team. Whenever we had questions that we could not find (rare), the tech support quickly resolved the matter for us. The transition for us was much easier than we thought it could be. The Sycamore software has also been simple for our clients (both students and teachers) to navigate. We used the software as our mail tool during our spring of 2020 change to remote learning. Parents had little trouble navigating around Sycamore to find the instruction and information for remote learning. We never anticipated using it that way, but it did a good job for us.

Cons

Sycamore has a few idiosyncracies that one has to get used to. Some listings require the user to go back to the beginning of the list after a choice has been made. Little things that I am sure will be refined over time.

Thank you so much Don! We strive to be here for schools that need their data needs met at a reasonable cost. It's wonderful to see how your school has taken a dive to use our tools to make your transition to remote learning of 2020 more manageable. Thank you for giving a shout out to our wonderful support. They make such a difference for our Sycamore family.

Sycamore

Pros

There are very little pros, except that I easily reached a customer service rep when I needed help with an issue.

Cons

I did not like Sycamore as an LMS. I found its interface to be clunky, filled with unnecessary options, and difficult to navigate. For example, to this day, I still have no idea how to create an assignment so that a student can upload there work. Believe me, I tried to figure it out. Eventually I gave up and used another system. The grade book was another problematic feature. At the end of the semester, it does not show final grades computed with the final exam. You have to go into each individual student and look at there "grade report" to see the end computation. I do not recommend this system. There are much better LMS's available.

Dustin, You mentioned in the Pros section of your review that customer service was easy to reach. That's great, as we hear this often. A phone call or a Teacher Chat would have cleared these issues up quickly. You would have received instructions on how to use the dropbox for student assignments and also directed to the Help section where there are specific instructions. Regarding your issue with...

Exceptional School Management System

We have had a great working relationship with Sycamore. They are always responsive and very knowledgeable in solving our problems. They are a great partner.

Pros

We really value the ease of use with Sycamore and the various needs that the system meets. The Sycamore team is always looking for ways to improve. They also are always looking for creative ways to manage the daily demands of running a school.

Cons

Overall we have been very satisfied with Sycamore and their team of developers. There is nothing that we like least about Sycamore.

Thank you so much for your review Kenny. We value your school and your input! We love to help schools out there simplify their system needs.

Very Easy to Use

Pros

Very easy to use once you know how to use the software. The On-Boarding one-on-one contact was greatly appreciated during the start-up process. The Support Ticket team is very responsive. I enjoy the ease of the Online Help, the only troublesome part of that is not all of the features being presented (maybe the Online Help just needs to be updated?).

Cons

Have yet to be able to fully integrate our Google Classrooms with Sycamore, so the teachers aren't able to use that feature as they would like. Feels like some features could be simpler to get to.

Thank you for the insight into your process Marie! We are so happy to have you all as part of our Sycamore family. Thank you for the shout out to our onboarding specialists. They work hard to ensure our newest members are comfortable and working well in the system. We'll make sure to pass along the praise.

Bringing Sycamore to Japan

My experience has been truly outstanding!

Pros

I used Sycamore Education for years at a Christian school in Illinois. When I came to Japan last year, I realized that my new school was not using a school management system. I was very happy to have previous experience with Sycamore. As the principal, I was able to address the school board with our great need, and they approved the purchase of Sycamore. Our teachers are very happy to be able to post grades, our parents are happy to have direct access to their child's academic progress on a daily basis, and our office administrator is happy to be able to print report cards in minutes. I continue to be very pleased with the functionality of Sycamore as well as the outstanding customer support!

Cons

On occasion, a screen pops up notifying me there is an error. When I click on the drop down bar again, the error screen is gone. It's not a big issue, and hasn't slowed us down. This never occurred when I previously used the software.

Thank you Debra for your continued loyalty! Customers and schools like you are a pleasure to help and work with. We are always here to help. Let us know if you need help with anything.

Sycamore enabled us to get into the 21st century by using an online management system. We love it!

Pros

Communication has increased between parents and teachers as grades can be tracked and paper grades don't get lost. It also has provided accountability in that teachers are posting grades on a more timely basis. It allows consistency between grades and years. The system is very powerful; customer service is probably the most helpful that I have encountered. I love the ability to create transcripts and that these are kept on the system. It tracks attendance much better than we were doing previously. The medical logs have been helpful. Doing online admissions has taken us to a new level as well.

Cons

The system isn't as intuitive as I would like. Because I have worked with it several years, it's much easier now and people end up coming to me to figure out how to do specific things with it. I have been frustrated a bit b/c it doesn't allow for creative flexibility (for instance transcripts don't have a lot of space for extra activities) or for things that aren't the same in different countries. We have worked around a lot of the barriers, and Sycamore has been very helpful to put things on the list of potential fixes.

Good Product with Great Potential

Awesome software and features. It was the perfect fit for our start-up organization, and we're still using it.

Pros

The simplicity of the software package and the ease of implementation. Sycamore offers the software without nickel and diming for add-ons or necessary features. For a small and/or non-profit institution, it is an AWESOME option at a very reasonable cost.

Cons

Not much support in terms of online manuals/support. I function better as a self-directed learner, and the online manuals and videos that were available at the time I onboarded were not very helpful. On the other hand, the phone support was very helpful in assisting when I couldn't find the answer online.

Hi Jan! Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us an honest review! We certainly aim to keep our pricing affordable for institutions like yours. We will use this thoughtful feedback to better ourselves in the future as we continue to ramp up and improve our product. Never hesitate to reach out with a question or concern. We'd love to be of help! Blessings to you! -Sycamore Education

Using Sycamore Daily

The problems we have been able to solve mainly are having the ability to look up information at a few clicks of the computer. We have the ability to see many needs for our students and our faculty.

Pros

The features that are most useful to me are the attendance and ease of updating when students are tardy or leave early. Our daily health screening is something that has been helpful with our new guidelines.

Cons

ALL the Clicks to get to where we need to be.

Thank you for your review Kathleen! We are so happy that the new COVID checklist is of benefit to schools like yours! Feedback from our schools is always welcome and we use that feedback to always try to improve our product. Hopefully you'll enjoy working in the pieces of Sycamore 3.0 as it comes out. Feel free to always reach out to support for help as well as offer us suggestions on how to improve.

Easy to Use

Overall, my experience with the program has been good. The customer service has always been great to help with any issues or questions that we may have, no matter how big or small.

Pros

Sycamore is a fairly easy school management system to navigate .

Cons

There have been some features and reports that would be nice to have that aren’t included as of yet.

Thank you for your review Shauna! We are always excited to help schools keep track of and use their data efficiently. We also appreciate feedback from our front-line users to help improve the experience over time, so we also thank you for your requests for future enhancements to make our product progress along with the needs of our schools.

Comprehensive Edu Software

Overall we were happy with Sycamore. I highly recommend them for smaller schools and it may be the right fit for larger schools. I think they just need to evaluate what workflows are most important to them and understand the trade-offs of having a wider than deeper program.

Pros

First of all, they have excellent customer service. They really are doing their best to help schools succeed. They have great integrations with google, which for us was one of the primary deciding reasons for going with them. They now have a quality app and more features than most programs have for a fraction of the cost. They also have a REST API which is extremely helpful for expanding the potential of the software.

Cons

One of the hard parts about being an educational software is that it is hard to know when to stop developing different​ features and instead focus on making the features they do have into amazing experiences. IMO Sycamore has a broader instead of deeper development philosophy. This is good for small schools that need a comprehensive solution, but it can be frustrating for schools with more users that end up choosing multiple solutions because the overall experience and depth of usability are better. An example of this is how they have 3 different enrollment/admissions portals that they have tried to develop. Instead of making one amazing, they have tried multiple times. Their most recent one is promising, but still,​ isn't​ usable for schools who need all of the features available.

Comprehensive School Information System

Centralized Student Records and Report Cards. Centralized Calendar and Attendance.

Pros

Moving from paper report cards a few years back to centralized report cards and student information through Sycamore has been an excellent transition. Their setup team worked to make it a smooth transition. We probably only use half of its functionality at this point but we saw immediate wins with a centralized calendar, documents and family data. The reporting functionality of the system is also very helpful. As we compared Sycamore to other SIS options, it became clear that it was one of the best values that we researched. The live US based tech support has been outstanding. Every staff person I have talked to knows the system well and has been extremely helpful. I highly recommend Sycamore.

Cons

The user interface can be difficult to navigate sometimes and find the exact feature you are looking for. It is an excellent School Information System (SIS) but we did realize that its functionality around lesson plans and curriculum is very basic.

Administrator

1. I would love to see you all at the Mid-Atlantic Convention in Lancaster PA. 2. I had a new family comment that they were telling a group of people their child was coming to the school. Someone in the group, who does not have a child at our school and we are not sure how they even know about the school, spoke up and said "Well they have Sycamore and it is a wonderful program!". Someone is talking!

Pros

1, Very cost effective 2. You are purchasing all that the program has to offer. There are no additional fees for upgrades 3. Customer Service is awesome! Quick to respond, helpful and you can reach them by phone or PAN. 4. Very user friendly 5. HIGH HIGH rate of parent satisfaction with being able to access grades, teachers, one another, etc. All of them rave about the program! 6. Sycamore Leaf keeps us updated 7. Sycamore is always seeking to improve their program 8. PAN - we absolutely LOVE this feature. Our high school classrooms are in "learning cottages" aka trailers - and the teachers are separated. This feature allows all of us to feel so connected!

Cons

1, Not too many or serious... we did notice that if you make a change on the family or student information (you have the mother's name wrong ex.) then when you correct it, you cannot do it in just one area, you have to go into multiple areas. 2. We had some issues with the GPA configuration. I did not deal with it, but I know our high school conselor had numerous phone calls and PAN' s to get...

Sycamore is a great solution for small and medium sized schools. It is very reliable.

This database keeps all of our school management information secure and well-organized. There are fields for lots of information and the ability to add custom fields as well. There are features for organizing events, room use, cafeteria management, etc. It does allow teachers to record grades and the grades are then accessible by parents and report cards are easy to generate.

Pros

The support is fantastic. Trouble tickets are answered quickly and phone support is great. The database is securely hosted on-line so it can be accessed anywhere and there is no set-up for a new computer. The cafeteria feature works really well even with 24 teachers entering attendance / lunch orders at the same time. Easy to send batch emails and individual emails to parents.

Cons

We don't use the "pass-a-note" feature very much. Sometimes parents use it and it comes up on the teacher's screen when they log-on in the morning.

Streamlines School Functions

Pros

I like the app for my phone. It streamlines my ability to quickly send attendance to our office. I also like the school directory so that I can easily pull up information for any school family.

Cons

Sending group emails (batch emails) isn't obvious to me. I wish the email portion seemed more like gmail or other email applications.

Thank you so much Melissa! We are so happy to see many schools like yours finding our system helpful for the tasks you encounter. We thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with batch email. We are always working to make ourselves better and make a better product for our Sycamore family.

Our school has used Sycamore for years, and each year we continue to utilize new elements in it.

centralized data and communication for our whole school on many diffeerent levels: administration and management, staff-wide, with families, with students, and with prospective families/students.

Pros

Sycamore keeps all our school data in one place so that the office, administration, and teachers can all share information. The more we learn to use it, the more helpful it is for us! I absolutely love the customer support. They respond quickly, kindly, and are always helpful. They are open to suggestions for change, and often we see those changes take place!

Cons

We sometimes call it "clickamore". There are often a lot of steps embedding in a process. That said, there are a lot of shortcuts that I keep learning about that make me like using Sycamore more and more!

We have used Sycamore for about 5 years and are happy with the value for COI.

Pros

I am most happy with the ability to access grades and grading where and when ever I have internet access. I don't need to carry a gradebook or storage device with my grade spreadsheets, like years past. Being able to excuse students from assignments or customize who the assignment is assigned to is invaluable.

Cons

The interface is improving, but feels a day late the the UI/UX game. We started to use the library module when we first setup with Sycamore, but it needs work and features. The lesson planner for teachers should be scrapped and a connection made with Planbook.com. The Scamore planbook makes it hard to move lessons when things happen like fire drills or snow days.

It's the customer service that takes this SIS over the top!

I have worked with sycamore as a parent, staff member, and super user (software administrator) over the last 7 years. What makes Sycamore work so well, is that it is constantly growing and making enhancements as the needs of it's users grow yet still keeping to the same "feel" and design so that students, parents and teachers don't have to re-learn the software every time there is an enhancement. The...

Sycamore

Overall, Sycamore has been a good experience for us, despite its flaws, and it has helped us manage our school.

Pros

Sycamore does a lot. It can do almost anything you would need a SIS to do, and it has the best google classroom integration of any SIS and LMS out there.

Cons

Sycamore can be tedious to navigate at times, and some of the design decisions are baffling. It is not easy to figure things out without training.

Hello, Rob! Thanks for taking the time to give us an honest, positive review! We really appreciate it! Sycamore continues to listen to our customers and make enhancements based on feedback. We pride ourselves in our product and service, and our support team is readily available to assist. If you ever have any questions( even small ones!), we'd be more than happy to help! Sycamore Education

Sycamore does what we need it to do. The customer service is really what keeps us here.

Grade/report card preparation is so much easier for our staff. We have a reliable method of communicating with our parents and staff. (We just need to get parents to log in more regularly!)

Pros

Easy to use for parents and staff; customer service is the BEST -- quick to respond , servant-minded and very competent.

Cons

There are a few quirks, like only uploading a single photo at a time (unlike something like Facebook where several can be done with a click). We had to go with a different accounting system (Quick Books Online) because we couldn't integrate it with Sycamore. Email is hard to manage at times.

I'm very happy with the fact that it's like a one stop shop. Has everything we need .

a lot of things in one place.

Pros

The ability to get and find information that usually had to be found in several locations. As an administrator for this software, I enjoy the ease of creating reports and being able to costomize them. Overall the amount of things you can do with this program is amazing.

Cons

There seems to be too many clicks to get to some things. We have a lot of students who don't always share the same last name as their parent so some times it's hard to connect the two when doing some things.

Sycamore Education - The Key to a Smooth Running School

We are extremely pleased with the quality of the product and the service received from Sycamore. Our transition to Sycamore was smooth and the customer support is clear and responsive. Using Sycamore has revolutionized communication throughout our school community. As an experienced school admnistrator and adjunct college professor, I am extremely pleased with Sycamore Education and am grateful for the opportunity to recommend it to others.

Pros

1. Looks and performs professionally for school employees and parents. 2. Provides an excellent platform for ongoing communication between the school and home. 3. Customer support is exceptional. They provide helpful, easy to understand assistance in a timely fashion. 4. Over other web-based programs we've used or reviewed, Sycamore stands out as the best value and highest quality for our money. 5. We've received comments from other schools regarding the professional appearance of our grade cards, transcripts, and other school communication. 6. The Pass-a-Note feature makes communication among the school community easy and quick. 7. We've never experienced any "down time"; Sycamore is always functioning quickly and properly.

Cons

1. The user manuals would be more beneficial if they guided the user step-by-step through each process, especially during initial setup. What the user manuals lack, the customer support makes up for!

All your school information in one place

Parents can pay their child's tuition, lunch account balance and any other fees that may be due without having to go in the office.

Pros

I have been using this software for over 4 years. I am able to pay my child's tuition, check their lunch account and pretty much anything their teacher posts that I need to know. Easy to navigate and keep track of yearly expenses.

Cons

I have had a few problems logging in but was able to get help easily. Other than that I haven't had any issues.

Jessica, Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a thoughtful review! We appreciate and welcome your feedback. We are happy to serve parents like you. Never hesitate to reach out with questions or concerns. Blessings to you! -Sycamore Education

All-around system for schools

We used this at a small Christian school and it really helped us streamline our workflows!

Pros

I really liked how it integrated grading, communication, and attendance.

Cons

The multiple pop-up windows got annoying after a while. It would be good to integrate some sort of video instruction capabilities where teachers could post information for the students.

Sycamore is a fantastic school management program.

It is so much easier to exchange information between different offices within our school.

Pros

Customer service is AWESOME! They are quick to respond and often make upgrades to the system based on our suggestions.

Cons

There are few features like church attendance and basic checklists within the grade book that I would love to see them add.