Talkatoo Logo

Speech recognition and dictation software

Talkatoo Reviews

Suggested alternatives

happy-scribe
sonix
twilio-communications-platform

I have to say that there have been some issues with the microphone which can be frustrating and time consuming.

JK

Jon K.

Talkatoo = More Free Time + Better Medical Records

Talkatoo has literally changed my life. Instead of 2+ hours of medical records every day, I'm able to get them all done, with high quality and accuracy in less than half the time. Now, I actually have time for me! I place a high value on Free Time, because it is so rare. Talkatoo has given me Free Time and Quality of Life. Thank you!!!

Pros

Talkatoo has improved my medical records and literally saves me hours every day! I don't dread the record-keeping as I used to. Talkatoo is able to take my meandering exam room conversation and turn it into a coherent and cohesive medical record. I just hit Record on my phone and it does the rest. I love this product and what I have gained--> FREE TIME!!

Cons

Talkatoo is not perfect, but it is getting there. It is not great at drug names and doesn't consistently populate the medical record with things I've said (such as Body Condition Score.) Just the same, it gets 90% of what I say correct and exceeds all but the most skilled scribes that I had in the exam room.

KM

Ken M.

Game changer

Exceptionally good so far. Am early into my use of the AI techology of Talkatoo so still learning.

Pros

Talkatoo puts randomly entered presenting concerns and information into a concise SOAP formula, including history presented by the client and various examination findings noted by the vet throughout a 20-45 minute appointment. The AI function identifies what information is important for the medical record and weeds out the social banter between client and vet.

Cons

How long it took for me to discover the AI functions

MJ

Melanie J.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Terrible platform and worse customer satisfaction support.

Before they secured the sale it was all sunshine and roses promising this revolutionary service that in practice is not ready for utilization in any clinic. Our experience was terrible from the minute they took our money, the customer service and collaboration disappeared.

Pros

The concept, AI will be the way of the future to improve a lot of veterinary administrative efficiencies. However this platform (talkatoo verified) is not equipped to deliver the level of attention and support that is required and will not be for some time.

Cons

I felt my team and I were completely taken advantage of, we onboarded onto the talkatoo verified service and were billed right away before the proper setup could be completed. We used this service for 1 week and had to do 50% of the work it was supposed to be relieving us from ourselves. I manually had to go into each patient file and input the doctor notes, $600 later customer service took no accountability...

We take pride in our mission to give Veterinary professionals time back in their day. All feedback from our clients is crucial and I appreciate that you took my call. As we spoke about, I’ll reach out to you in a few months to let your team reevaluate our service. I fully understand why you felt let down The delays in us gaining access to your PMS meant you had to shoulder the workload that our team...

AG

Amelia G.

Nice new dictation options

Way better than during COVID. the AI really makes this superior to other dictation platforms as long as you use it. The basic dictation is better than it was before, but is not stellar.

Pros

It is usable in different ways to allow for different workflows. I use the TaDa and Talkatext function to generate physical exams quickly as I type the rest of the medical record. I also use it to record phone calls and then quickly summarize them for the medical record, or emailing a recap to the client.

Cons

the simple dicatation feature is still not very accurate and doesn't know many medical terms.

DD

David D.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Talkatoo improved my record quality

It has really helped improve the quality of my records, it has also improved my speed to complete each record

Pros

Multiple ways to improve record keeping and improve speed of record keeping

Cons

As with any dictation system, there are time where it miss “hears” what you said. The AI does a good job most of the time, but sometimes it focuses on less important information

LP

Laurie P.

Veterinary, 51-200 employees

Very happy with Talkatoo!

Great! I would very much recommend Talkatoo to practitioners who need to dictate for EMR - and have found I have gotten in such a habit of dictating to the computer that I now use voice to text for all my texting on my phone. I am very excited to see how AI continues to improve and what Talkatoo will offer!

Pros

Changing from paper to EMR meant typing instead of writing records - something I was not looking forward to. Since using Talkatoo, my charting time has been reduced by a third - and with using Talkatoo's macros I can consistently deliver how I want my notes be recorded.

Cons

As with any software, there is a learning curve - I thought Talkatoo's onboarding was very useful, and with time I have learned my shortcuts to help me deliver my charts the way I want them to look. I do get a little frustrated with certain terms that I know will not be recorded accurately, but these are few and far between.

DK

David K.

I enjoy my Talkatoo

Overall, I very much like working with Talkatoo. It's easy to use and can do much more than I'm aware of. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I definitely appreciate the [sensitive content hidden] making a call with me to teach me more things and to discuss future improvements.

Pros

It cuts my record-keeping time down significantly. I can record my whole appointment and have one of my assistants copy and paste the content to the medical record or I can record directly into the medical record. The AI Dictation Assistant works very well for helping me craft letters to clients and summarize phone conversations. Recordings are kept permanently and a link can be put in the patient's record to take you to the recording if needed. The tech staff is very easy to work with and very responsive to any concerns or problems.

Cons

It consistently misunderstands common words that I use. I don't feel like I mumble or slur my words but it sometimes "mishears" some words. It will sometimes, initially, hear a word correctly (a word that I would expect it to mishear) and then correct it to a wrong word. But, this is something that is continually being improved on. I have to go back and recheck my records looking for misspelled or misheard words.

Justine L.

Using Talkatoo for daily dictation

Great - I honestly wouldn't have splurged on a dictation device before, as I'm not a radiologist reading out reports. That said, it converted me for routine emails and blogs. The speed with which I can dictate an email is much faster, and now typing out a long email without Talkatoo seems tedious.

Pros

I recently got to try out Talkatoo, and was generally pleased with how easy it was to install and use. While I know this is directed for veterinary professionals when it comes to helping with completion of electronic medical records, I honestly don't use it for this. Most of our EMR are so templated, I didn't find myself using it for that as much as for client communication documentation and discharges. That said, I use Talkatoo WAY more for day-to-day emails and for articles, blogs, book chapters, etc. I like how you can add "MY WORDS" to make the software recognize particular wording.

Cons

I had some initial IT problems when I installed the Philips Precision Microphone with my sound on my iMac (for input and output), especially when I was using my Airpods, Blue Yeti mic, but was able to resolve this with their great customer support. Talkatoo's customer service was AMAZING!

Thanks so much for leaving a review! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and goes a long way in improving the product. We're happy to hear its helping you even for different use cases.

MM

Michelle M.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Talkatoo saves me time and improves my patient care

I'm very happy so far. I currently primarily use TaDa and copy and paste into a template in my PIMS. My SOAP notes are much more thorough and detailed, my own understanding of my cases and the knowledge of my staff about my cases has greatly improved. Clients love getting notes in an understandable and easy to read format that they can refer back to!

Pros

Talkatoo has allowed me to move towards paper-lite without the painful struggle that I had been envisioning.

Cons

Initially there were a few hiccups to work through, but troubleshooting has allowed me to learn more about how to use the program.

EN

Elizabeth N.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Talkatoo review

Overall experience is excellent and highly recommend

Pros

Great software that is easy to use and very effective and accurate

Cons

Transcript is sometimes slow to get processed but does not happen regularly

JC

Jaythan C.

Medical Practice, self-employed

Talkatoo Review - A Physician Assistant Student Experience

My overall experience with Talkatoo has been fantastic. While it did take a week to learn how to fully use the software and how it could work for me, it now saves me time each day I use it! The software is easy to learn and user friendly.

Pros

I have been using Talkatoo during my Physician Assistant Program training. I have used the software is various areas of my educational and clinical training. This includes summarizing notes, writing research papers, searching databases, and much more. One of my favorite ways to use Talkatoo is making Anki flashcards. This makes the process as a PA student much faster, freeing up more time for me to...

Cons

The truth is that there are not very many cons with Talkatoo. The only improvement I would like to see in coming updates is the ability to create macros or phrases, a function that some other high end dictation softwares offer.

LR

Lindsay R.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

The most amazing software I never knew we needed, but doubled our efficiency and morale!

Pros

Talkatoo was very easy to implement on all of our computer systems. The goal with implementing this software was to improve our efficiency in writing medical records. Improving our efficiency then led to us being able to see more patients per shift and medical records being completed while ON shift despite this almost 3-fold increase in patient load. Not having unfinished medical records looming over our heads has improved morale and allowed my team to have a better work-life balance (an unexpected but very welcomed effect)! I also love that the company is always looking to make improvements meaning the program will be able to keep pace with my clinic's rapid growth.

Cons

Sometimes the app on my computer crashes, but this could easily be my computer as well. I look forward to Talkatoo continuing to add more punctuation abilities. :-)

Thank you so much for your glowing review, Dr. Ruland! I was so pleased to hear all the benefits you and your clinic were able to get from Talkatoo, both unexpected and expected. We're super pleased to have you as a customer and as an advocate. Hearing feedback like yours is what drives us to continuously improve the software! Thanks again.

EW

Elizabeth W.

Voice Recognition System with a cute Parrot

Overall experience positive - very good performance, excellent support staff, easy billing/payment and quality microphone.

Pros

The program performs well in a simple, bright, clean manner.

Cons

Use is an subscription rather than a single purchase.

JD

James D.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Adapting to change and embracing new technology to work smarter

Overall my experience with Talkatoo has been favorable and I'm looking forward to expanding use into some of the AI features that will help me formulate patient records in a far more efficient manner. As someone who is not extremely tech savvy, I have appreciated the relatively intuitive nature of Talkatoo.

Pros

As someone who does not type efficiently, Talkatoo helps me in both my work and personal life when digitally communicating with colleagues as well as family members. I tend to use Talkatoo when dictating medical records for work as well as composing letters and email correspondence with family and friends.

Cons

Overall the program has relatively accurate word recognition but occasionally there are words that still are not correctly identified/transcribed and need to be edited. I have found that this recognition has improved over time and seems to improve with updates. Occasionally I have difficulty getting the software to stay connected and "at the ready" to dictate with the microphone when I switch between our practice management software and other computer programs.

DB

Danielle B.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Good, but could be (and hopefully will be) better

Talkatoo is easy to learn and easy to use. It does lack some functionality but my experience with customer service has been good so far and representatives have been receptive to feedback and suggest that there will be improvements and upgrades coming. I work on two different computers, one of which I take with me to airports, hotels, and my home, and it is easy to switch from computer to computer and it works well in all locations. It does save time and allows for hands-free typing which increases my overall productivity.

Pros

Talkatoo is extremely easy to use and very intuitive. It does not have to be “trained” and is user-ready from the start. The ability to install and multiple computers and to use a smartphone as a microphone makes it mobile, accessible and useful. It is superior to other dictation software in accurately recognizing and spelling proper nouns. It loads quickly and automatically.

Cons

Talkatoo lacks functionality compared to some other dictation software. For example, you cannot dictate whether or not a word should be capitalized and it does not recognize all grammar (parenthesis have to be manually typed in). It does not “learn” with use over time however this is not a major problem is it seems to recognize most words and you can add words and entire phrases if it doesn’t know them. Talkatoo does seem to struggle some with numbers and is inconsistent. For example sometimes 3.42 will be written correctly and other times it might transcribe “3 point for to”.

VT

Victoria T.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Great help with injured dominate arm

Overall I was very pleased. It made working through my injury very easy and saved me a TON of time. If my clinic was paperless I would consider keeping the product long term.

Pros

I liked the ease of use and how when I downloaded the free trial I was contacted almost instantly to make sure the product was set up correctly and working for me. I love having the ability to add my own words. For the most part it recognized the added words the very next time I used them.

Cons

I did not like that it often would not detect my microphone right away up starting my computer for the day I would have to close the application and re-open it to get it to register that my mic was plugged in. Perhaps this would not be an issue though if I had the special mic they recommend. The application had a hard time differentiating the words "and" from "in" for me. But beside this I was very pleased.

Thanks for the great review! We're very happy that we were able to help you work through an injury and not have to take time off work or get bogged down with all the typing. Thanks for giving the product a try and being a customer.

PL

Pamela L.

extremely helpful

Pros

Talkatoo has given me back time on the weekend and quality time with family. Instead of catching up on work on my time off, I am able to finish my work during the work week and spend more time doing what I love.

Cons

Despite teaching certain medical terms to talkatoo, it still struggles understanding certain words and I have to correct it in the text.

PH

Paul H.

Veterinary, 51-200 employees

Using Talkatoo for medical records.

I have found it to be useful and am saving time with it, which was my whole goal. The new updates have been helpful (manual punctuation), and it seems to be recognizing more of 'My words' and becoming more accurate with time- probably a combination of both of us 'learning'. I have only used customer support twice and they were very fast, helpful and polite- I couldn't have been more impressed with their service.

Pros

Using Talkatoo shortens the time needed to write charts and medical records. It is particularly useful for the longer histories and the emails or client communication entries. It is easy to use and the learning curve wasn't very steep. There are new updates which have been useful and have increased accuracy.

Cons

Although it types much faster, you still have to proof read and correct it. Although the newer manual punctuation has helped there are still some seemingly random words capitalized (or not) that need to be corrected - this all reduces the time saved. I'm sure that is the same for all dictation software. "My words" function helps but if it is a word where the spelling could be interpreted several ways it still doesn't always pick it up. Is there a way to type in the word and then read it for the program to recognize it?

Hi Paul, Thanks a lot for taking the time to leave a review. Super happy to hear that Talkatoo is helping you save time. To your question on the 'My Words" feature, Talkatoo doesn't require you to read the word into the system, simply type the word into the 'My Words' section, hit enter, and try it out. That should work, but the solution is not 100%. Let us know if that doesn't work and have any more questions!

IR

Iris Ramirez r.

Great Tool

The support is Excellent. I was so proud of my typing speed, but now that I am using this transcription service all the time, I am AMAZED at how fast it is. Cuts record keeping time by 60% even with any little corrections or changes in colors/size of text that I do for clients ease of reading so they don't have pages of small black on white but rather blocks of varying text . I type more personal...

Pros

It is easy to use as long as your internet is working.

Cons

Working out the "kinks" which were all on my end. First I had to ditch my old worthless computer because it had auto suggestions that were messing up TalkaToo and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] caught that was the problem . Then there was the learning curve for me. I am VERY HAPPY that I stuck through it with the help of the EXCELLENT TalkaToo support. I doubt anyone would have my troubles, but I wanted to share with you so that you know that IT IS WORTH WHATEVER stumbling blocks you have to get this service up and going!!!

KH

Kory H.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Cuts Documentation Time In Half

Pros

The ability to use dictation any where I can type is a game changer. The ability to use it to navigate the web, or even launch a program when paired with the windows key to open a search is awesome. I use both Microsoft and Google products every single day, and having the ability to use the same dictation service across both product suites is perfect.

Cons

The auto punctuation sometimes is not 100% but it is 10x better then completely getting your entire sentence wrong like other dictation products. I really wish there was a hot key for activation as well.

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review, Kory! We're working on improving our punctuation, and should have an update soon! Hotkeys are also on the roadmap, so stay tuned.

MS

MacKenzie S.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Talkatoo and Their Team Are Great

My experience with Talkatoo was excellent. I live a strange technological life, with a combination of PCs and Macs across two different offices, each with their own idiosyncrasies. Talkatoo's support team was always there to help me out with my occasional weird problems, and by the end of my tenure with the service, they knew me by name. I am very grateful to the entire Talkatoo team for keeping me online during a very annoying chapter in my health journey.

Pros

Talkatoo is miles ahead of any stock speech-to-text software. As a mental health clinician, it was invaluable to have a tool that came loaded with common medical terminology, and I appreciated being able to add my own terms to the dictionary to speed things up further. I started using the product when a repetitive strain injury left me unable to use my wrists or elbows for anything for 8-12 weeks. Talkatoo was a lifesaver. Without it, I would have had to go out on leave.

Cons

Talkatoo's subscription fee is based on the value for someone who is dictating full time. As my injury healed and I was able to return to typing, it didn't make sense for my business to sustain the cost of dictation.

LR

Lisa R.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Nice product to improve efficiency

I've had a great experience. I'm pretty quick to voice my opinions and put suggestions into the inbox. Each time, customer service has reached out within 24 hours and if needed has scheduled a call to make sure that we can get the bugs worked out. They continue to release new versions which allow me to be as efficient as possible.

Pros

Talkatoo is easy to use, plug and play. Some of the other products such as TalkingVet require onboarding and although Talkatoo offered that service, I declined and I've been using the product effectively for over a year. They update the product frequently and the updates are meaningful. It doesn't glitch on me and I use the heck out of it.

Cons

My most recent complaints about Talkatoo were addressed in the most recent update. No complaints now.

DB

Debbie B.

Veterinary, self-employed

Saves me Hours of Time

Talkatoo allows me to rapidly create reports, blogs and social media content. I do recommend getting the dictation microphone as it enhances the experience.

Pros

Talkatoo is very user friendly. It has rapidly "learned" my voice and is very accurate with dictation. I like that it will transcribe my phone calls as they happen by just putting the call on speaker. I no longer have to try to take notes while having client conversations. I zip through emails and blogs in a quarter of the time it used to take. I highly recommend this for all veterinarians to chart...it understands medical vocabulary and will help vets get home on time instead of staying late writing medical charts.

Cons

The automatic punctuation did not work for me as I do a lot of creative writing and have to pause to think. The software has some odd word capitalizations that I have reported to tech support. It can get stuck when there is some instability in the internet connection but that is not on the software rather the internet provider. It doesn't always recognize the punctuation commands. Setting up the microphone does take some time but the team does the heavy lifting.

Thanks for the review, Debbie! Automatic punctuation isn't for everyone, but for those that like to speak there punctuation we do have that as an option in the settings menu. Hopefully that works better for you! We're working on the capitalization issue and should have a fix coming soon. The mic is a game-changer once configured correctly! We appreciate all your feedback.

Andrew R.

Affordable and Ever Evolving

We trialled the program for a month and were very happy with the support and help we received in setting it up and trouble shooting. The staff was very receptive and thankful for any constructive criticism we had.

Pros

The cost point on this product is great as a subscription can be utilized by numerous clinic members as opposed to one individual. The development team is always improving the functionality of the program which is great too.

Cons

As with ALL dictation programs I have tried, one likely needs to be using a Phillips microphone for the best results as words do not always transcribe properly.

Hi Andrew, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! It helps a lot. I'm glad you find Talkatoo helpful and I'm happy to hear it keeps getting better for you! Please continue sending constructive criticism as that really helps us improve!

MG

Mark G.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Saves time throughout the day

Saves about 5 minutes per appointment allowing me to get other work related projects completed. Fills in prescription labels and items related to the historical document.

Pros

Able to integrate into the notes that I give to the clients after a visit. Presently using a program that permits paragraghs to be entered. All saving time throughout the day.

Cons

It is 90 to 95% accurate. Need to correct some usages. Occasionally places an alternative word into the text.