Airbase Logo
Airbase

Spend management platform with accounts payable automation

visit website

Airbase Reviews

User ratings

5.0

• Likelihood to recommend9.72/10

See full reviews by rating

Top 3 alternatives

Great customer service with highly efficient and secure software for a delightful experience.
It does not integrate with Tripactions, but this is a minor complaint.
It was a bit confusing the first time I made a pre-purchase request whether to raise a purchase order or a virtual card, but once my manager explained the difference it made sense.
I think it's on the right path, however some tool for reconciliation is missing when it comes to check that all the prepaid accounts are cleared and booked and that amortization expense is correct.

Dmitri L.

Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees

Best AP solution for SMB to MidSize businesses

From start to end we had an amazing experience with the sales process, implementation and daily operations. Highly recommend!

Pros

The best thing about Airbase are not the constant flow of features, the insanely fast support team or even the ease of deployment. The best thing is the architecture for approval flows and how the product team pays very close attention to customer needs. The approval flows are setup in such ways as to allow each team to be fully automated in their approval flows and forbids circumvention of controls, thus allowing us a very high level of confidence that each person is accountable for their purchases.

Cons

I highly recommend Airbase, however, this is a new product and I also recommend spending a lot of time analyzing each nuance of your AP process needs before moving forward as not all features are immediately available. At the time of writing this review, international payments are not yet ready but Airbase has communicated their roadmap and we know exactly when this will be rolled out. The minor drawbacks have not impacted our improvements in performance, quality, and stability of accounting controls or slowed us down at all.

JO

Joe O.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Essential Tool in Modern Finance Tech Stack

The overall user experience is excellent. Airbase helps Welkin improve accounting accuracy with fewer reclasses and supports a much faster monthly closing process. Time savings come also from the vendor self-onboarding process, which allows to save key documents such as W9/W-8BEN and contracts. Real-time spending monitoring also allows department owners to check on their spending without finance/accounting support.

Pros

- Automatic bill coding with OCR (time savings). - Automatic credit card coding with receipt management function. - Excellent onboarding and implementation team. - Fast responsive customer support team. - Airbase improves features based on customer feedback. - Fast and meaningful product improvements and great UI/UX. - Early access to beta features on request (such as receipt audits, advanced approvals).

Cons

- Airbase lacks a few features to replace some other tools effectively (e.g. Expensify). - Annual fee could be lower or cashback on credit cards higher. - International payments still not supported as of early Feb.2021

SC

Sean C.

Bill pay only

Airbase has been responsive and helpful with all issues we've encountered. It took a decent amount of time to set up bill pay and we've misstated our GL multiple times due to lack of understanding of how the product functions. However, we are happy with the product and have recognized significant efficiencies compared to our historic manual processing.

Pros

This software makes it simple and efficient to aggregate, prepare, review, and pay invoices. It has significantly reduced the time to process AP via its clean workflow and automatic timed payments after approvals are completed.

Cons

There are some idiosyncrasies in this product that take time and effort to understand. Unfortunately, our trial and error learnings have resulted in multiple GL misstatements; one of which resulted in an error identified by auditors. For example, when an invoice gets changed/updated by the Vendor the AP processor has an opportunity to "archive" the bill in Airbase. This action does nothing to your GL so any new invoice will be double-counted. I also wish there was a way to remind approvers more frequently. Bill are most often late due to delayed approvals.

SP

Sheng P.

Airbase ease of use

Overall the experience has been wonderful, we are able to close more accurately and timely due to using airbase. There's no longer a struggle trying to determine what the spend is on various cards as they all have been categorized previously. Although initial setup may take longer it is well worth the accuracy.

Pros

The best part of airbase is that it easily integrates with QBO. This allows me to setup prepaid on Airbase that automatically set up to sync to QBO for a monthly close. Cards are automatically set up to charge a certain GL code, rendering it unnecessary to go back monthly to determine what the spend was and where to charge it.

Cons

When making some entries, it does not use a new naming convention and would use the most recent journal entry naming convention to make the the journal entry title. This can lead to bit of confusion.

DS

Desene S.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Airbase has transformed our AP process!

Airbase solved our messy credit card reconciliation problems and has given us pre approvals and real time insight into all spend as it occurs. As an accounting team we don't feel like we are playing catch up at the end of the month.

Pros

We use the virtual cards, physical cards, POs, and bills/bill payments. Each area works perfectly and syncs directly to our ERP, Netsuite. It is has saved us so much time from a reconciliation standpoint. Our employees love the virtual card functionality and ease of approvals.

Cons

My only dislike is that they don't have Expense Reimbursements up and running. As a finance team we are looking forward to the day when we can have this in Airbase as well.

AC

Arianna C.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

A necessary system for scaling company

We added more control to our expenses, more visibility and improvement on the monthly closing timing.

Pros

When a startup goes above 100 people, you need a spend management software. Airbase has tons of features, the implementation is easy and their product team always strive for continuous improvement.

SG

Steve G.

Financial Services, 11-50 employees

Great All-around solution

Pros

Ease of use and overall beautiful UI / UX for a complex product.

Cons

Lack of international payments will be nice at some point. I was excited when they launched employee reimbursements.

AJ

Andy J.

Computer Software, 1-10 employees

Easy tool to simplify and unify multiple tools

Pros

Airbase has been very useful for my team in terms of consolidating our company cards, bill payments, and expense reports/reimbursements. The support team has also been super responsive and helpful.

Cons

One product nitpick is that I sometimes have a hard time finding certain bills or payments because they filter by state, and I don't know before-hand what state the bill or payment is in.

KM

Kyle M.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Works great for my team — requesting and spending money has become easy and streamlined

Overall, Airbase has been easy to learn and easy to use! As a user (non-administrator) I have found it very straight forward for the things I need to use it for. I love that it has simplified communication and spending requests (and approval of requests) between myself and our finance department.

Pros

The ability to request and review/track multiple budgets (via virtual cards) has been a game changer for us. What used to be a more complicated process with hard-to-track communication (using other internal messaging tools )is now so easy and requires less back and forth comms with our finance department. Requesting reimbursement for out of pocket spending is easy and streamlined as well. We also work with many outside vendors, and I am able to review and approve of invoices through Airbase. Everything is easily assigned to the right people and easy to track. I am looking forward to continuing to use the product as we grow as a company!

Cons

It is somewhat challenging to attach receipts to expenses. By that I mean that I get an email stating that I have an expense that needs a receipt. That part works great. But then finding the exact expense that needs the receipt, and the location where I can upload the receipt within the Airbase UI could use some improvement. It is not as intuitive as I hope and expect. However, this is a small issue for a product that otherwise works really great!

TC

Tarcys C.

Financial Services, 201-500 employees

Airbase is a great software for all companies sizes! I

Very simple, helpful and efficient! that's how any software should be!

Pros

One of the good things about having Airbase is that you can keep track of all the expenses and make sure everything is processed and paid correctly. You can make a different virtual card for other vendors is fantastic.

Cons

I like pretty much everything about Airbase.

JP

Josephine P.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Best platform I have signed us up for!

Airbase has been a pleasure to work with from the start. Even the sales part didn't feel... well.. salesy! The onboarding was exceptional. We were assigned an onboarding support specialist who literally walked us through every step of using Airbase over 3-4 training sessions. There wasn't a thing left out and after each session I was sent away with 'homework' to ensure that each stage of setting...

Pros

I love the user experience on this platform. Everything about it is just intuitive and well thought out. It makes processing purchasing requests a really seamless experience and has saved us hours of work at the month end. Since adopting Airbase as our platform for spend management, we have been able to take everything back in house, have much more control over our spend, receipts and reporting, and have cut our bookkeeping costs by 90%

Cons

I honestly can't think of any downsides to Airbase. Really! It's saved is tons of time, money and headaches.

KM

Kenny M.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Airbase makes managing spend a breeze

* It's been a life-saver on the finance side. I've been able to automate all of our spend and everything from recurring software to one-off employee requests get routed through Airbase. Really easy to administer and employees needed no training.

Pros

* Helped me streamline the entire spend process at Coda.io - I route most expenses through the platform - everything from software to travel to one-off expenditures. * Incredibly easy to use - I have never trained an employee on how to use Airbase. They log in, and it's clear what they should do. * It creates tremendous peace of mind on spend - I don't worry about vendors charging us more than they should, people buying software they don't need, and card numbers getting stolen. * Visibility - It's easy to know what has already been purchased, who purchased it, and how much are we spending. * Keeps getting better - Airbase started with just digital credit cards but the tool is quickly replacing all types of spend management software internally.

Cons

* Mobile app still catching up to web app, but moving quickly. * Manually moving over old spend into Airbase by switching credit cards with vendors was tedious, but a worthwhile one-time investment, and Airbase did a lot to make it as painless as possible (found all the vendors for us that we needed to update)

DS

Drew S.

E-Learning, 201-500 employees

Hyper-granular control, finally...without being "that account person bugging people"

Pros

- Hyper-granular control of expenses. Instead of managing limits and checking expenses on corporate cards, each approved expense request receives a single virtual credit card number (managed by accounting) for that specific vendor an expense (one-time or recurring) - Flexible approval workflows

Cons

- Lack of integration with budgeting. Approval workflows should show managers how any discrete approval affects their department budget.

VK

Vivien K.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Awesome product!!

Pros

The number one thing I love about Airbase is their ease of use. I particularly love their reporting and tracking features because we're able to view our spend on a general or granular view. We're currently syncing our Airbase transactions with QuickBooks and it has been super seamless to use. We're able to change our GL codes easily before syncing, which is great. Their customer service team is always very responsive and helpful. They will work with you to get anything and everything resolved in a timely manner.

Cons

They only notify you when you run out of funds. This causes inconveniences when we get notified really late in the day because our funds will not get transferred into our account until the next business day. It would be nice if we can get a warning when we're low on funds, so we can plan accordingly instead of having to deal with declined charges until the next business day

SH

Sabrina H.

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

It's very good

While the system is good I actually appreciate the customer support the people are Airbase are very personable and friendly.

Pros

The software is easy to use and navigate, it also helps that the design of the site is pleasing to the eye and doesn't cause confusion or looks to crammed full of features, its formatted in just the right way.

Cons

The only issue if that, is that I keep forgetting to go in and make payments in the bill payment section once its been authorized I also keep forgetting though its simple enough what tab i need to go into in order to release the payments - would be nice if they payment was auto processed once authorized unless a specific date was noted for payments to go out.

KT

Khanh T.

Airbase from the People Ops perspective

Pros

The most impactful feature for our team has been Airbase's ease of use and the fact that we don't have to process expense reports. So no more wait times for reimbursements to land and no more wasted time tracking down receipts!

Cons

Can't think of anything at this time. Airbase has been awesome!

RW

Rajat W.

Airbase - Making spend management simpler

Highly recommend it. Easy to use and great customer support

Pros

Easy integration with GL Great reporting system Easy to use and control

Cons

Improvements in having multiple funding accounts as opposed to just one bank account

CW

Chuck W.

Insurance, 11-50 employees

Airbase -- Great Spend Management Software -- HDVI Uses It Every Day.

See above --

Pros

Airbase directly addresses some of the hardest financial management issues facing all companies today -- and HDVI is no exception. With a robust set of features, Airbase manages our spending across all types of purchases -- subscription based, one-time, etc. -- and across all types of payments (ACH, Checks, Credit Cards, etc.) It takes multiple cumbersome processes and consolidates them into streamlined, highly automated workflows -- reducing our work, and increasing our visibility into and control of company spending across the board.

Cons

Initially, Airbase had limited functionality in a few areas. However, it's quickly filled those holes in -- so at this point, it's more than overcome those initial limitations.

Internet, 51-200 employees

Airbase total spend management

Overall very positive experience with Airbase from the Sales process, to implementation to using in the day to day. We have gone from a manual process for invoices, a corporate card solution, and another tool for expense reimbursements to a single tool to manage all of this and automate our expense accounting.

Pros

Bringing all spend management (Cards, POs/invoicing, vendor management, expense reimbursement) and accounting automation into one easy to use tool. Very easy to implement and set up.

Cons

It does not integrate with Tripactions, but this is a minor complaint.

NS

Nicholas S.

Entertainment, 501-1,000 employees

Easy to use, all-in-one expense manager!

Airbase makes expense management super easy and has saved me a ton of time. I would recommend this software to anyone! Airbase has been designed to make the entire expensing process super intuitive for all.

Pros

I love this software! I really enjoy that we can keep track of all our expenses within one platform and how simple it is to submit an expense. It literally takes seconds with the automated receipt scanner. I also love how quickly virtual cards can be created. With virtual cards, you never have to worry about losing a physical card or having the card number being stolen. The transfer of ownership of the cards is always such a seamless process as well!

Cons

There are not many things I dislike about the software. Sometimes the automated receipt scanner picks up on the wrong vendor names/amount, but that is super easy to add manually. Also, there are times when you have to go in and edit an approved expense which can be difficult to do, (I typically have to re-submit) but other than that it's a fantastic platform.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Enabled us to scale at an early stage

Pros

The combination of card spend management and AP automation was truly unique. It solved two key problems in one spot creating a consolidated view of all of our spending that allowed us to scale without the need to hire additional headcount.

Cons

Occasionally some of the required steps of a couple workflows feel like a bit cumbersome for a small organization, but, the controls put in place are best practices and I know we will be implementing them soon.

JG

Julian G.

Computer Software, 501-1,000 employees

Really great solution for purchasing!

Pros

This is the first time I have used a spend management platform like this and it is 100% a game changer. I enjoy how easy it is to set employees up to create virtual credit cards and efficiently take care of expenses with external vendors. Permissions that are set up for each person streamlines the approval process and lets them get their work done quicker. It also easily tracks all of your expenses so that you can reference them at any point. Really grateful that my company uses Airbase!

Cons

No areas of improvement that I can think of at this time.

AP

Amanda P.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Just Get It, You won't Regret It!

We are able to provide virtual cards with spend limits and controls which helps employees not have to expense large costs, and gives us the ability to approve the spend before we pay for it.

Pros

Integration with Airbase was about 8 weeks total, which is not bad when you consider it is your full procure to pay software. I enjoy having the spend control limits and that everything (PO's, virtual cards, reimbursements, and bill payment) is in one system which makes it easy for accountants and employees.

Cons

Reporting needs to be beefed up a bit, I believe a custom reporting section could easily fix this. Additionally, the PO light tool should have customer fields so each business can get what they need is critical from the PO approval workflow.

SC

Sudheendra C.

Internet, 201-500 employees

Used other for 2+ years

The easiest way to expense and purchase business software

- Expense, approve, invoice cloud software spend - Audit tracking

Pros

- Easy to use UI and a seamless Okta (SSO) integration - Service/Item autofill feature - Ability to generate virtual credit cards and request approvals within minutes

Cons

Nothing I hate, but a few improvements like below would be nice to have: - Once in a quarter email report would be nice to summarize all "active" purchases/credit cards - Integration with end-tools (eg., smallpdf) and alerting when the usage drops to downgrade to free plans

KL

Karin L.

Efficient and Saves Time

Pros

I have been in the corporate accounting world for over 20 years and Airbase is the first system that I have used that is all encompassing and saves so much time from the start of the transaction process to the final payment. Takes away all of the manual tasks that are part of the payable and procurement processes. Highly reccommend!

Cons

Need better reporting for reconciliations of accounts