Avalara Logo

Avalara Reviews - Page 3

pm

patrick m.

Textiles, 51-200 employees

Great software, but expensive and the support you don't receive from Avalara

Service has been horrible with Avalara.

Pros

Ease of use, reporting aspects are great!

Cons

When you inactivate a customer, the links or pending ones will still go out to customers. It should cancel out the links if inactivated.

Patrick, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver a reliable product, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you. We'd appreciate an opportunity to learn more about what's going well and improvements you'd like to see. If you're open to continuing the conversation, please contact customercare@avalara.com so we can share your insights with our team.

DS

David S.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Better than nothing, but many areas that need a lot of improvement

Nightmarish! Had to hire an expensive CPA firm to assist in "fixing" issues and aid with training on Avalara.

Pros

IF you figure out how to code everything correctly, it does calculate sales tax and will file the returns.

Cons

Lack of support, virtually no communication from key support staff that are critical for most anything in Avalara, software is NOT intuitive and figuring it out is a nightmare AND if you don't code everything properly it will do as much harm as good. Person to person communication is extremely hard to get in sufficient quantities to be effective.

David, thank you for sharing about your experience with Avalara. We're sorry to read you've experienced challenges, we understand it's been frustrating, and we'd like to address your concerns. Please contact us at customercare@avalara.com so we can work to address the issues you've described.

TG

Todd G.

Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees

Product Works Well, But Pricing Is Not Comensurate with Value

Pros

Avalara works. It integrates with my e-commerce system and provides customers with accurate, real-time sales tax rates. It allows me to file my sales tax returns easily.

Cons

My net pricing to use the software is increasing at an exponential rate. Over my last three renewals, Avalara has passed through annual net price increases of of 38%, 42%, and 110%. Currently, my annual usage fee to Avalara is greater than my annual sales tax liability! This doesn't work for me any longer. Additionally, my account rep changes at least once a year and the current one is not as responsive as I would like.

Todd, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We strive to offer the best service possible for our customers and we understand how unexpected costs would be upsetting. We'd like to learn more about your specific experience, please contact customercare@avalara.com if you're open to a conversation.

MF

Marissa F.

Supermarkets, 11-50 employees

Love/Hate Avalara

Pros

What I like most about Avalara is they file our sales tax returns. (That is the worst part about business)

Cons

The Avalara team is terrible about following up with customers. Also, the account manager (CAM) changes very frequently without letting the customer know.

Hi Marissa, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. We aim to provide the best service possible, and we'd like to learn more about your experience so we can improve. If you're willing to share more, please contact us at customercare@avalara.com.

DS

David S.

Business Supplies and Equipment, 11-50 employees

Very Buggy

I use with Quickbooks Enterprise. It causes a lot of problems. Can't be used with multiple companies open but I can work around that. The software pops up when not expected and keeps you from sending email invoices withing the QB app. Address verification pops up on one computer for the address that another user is entering on a different computer. Customer service is non existent. After entering a ticket, you get the auto generated response then nothing after that. 1st ticket got an actual response after 4 business days. A second ticket never had a response.

Pros

It does what it says it is supposed to do. Online reports are fine

Cons

Very buggy Slow Frequently shuts itself down

David, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers a reliable and easy-to-use solution. From what you wrote, we recognize that there are things that have gone well and areas that may need improvement. We would appreciate an opportunity to learn more about your experience. If you're open to a conversation, please contact customercare@avalara.com.

AH

Amy H.

Construction, 51-200 employees

Not sure what I paid for...

Honestly, I would not be in business if I operated this way.

Pros

I think this package has great potential, but onboarding meetings were "no shows", we have had this package for a year and are still not implemented. When I asked for a refund of the final month...keep in mind...we paid for 12, the politely said no. Just disappointed that they did not have the capacity to onboard us in an efficient manner and then to not offer any concessions for their inability to have people available to help with onboarding.

Cons

Very poor onboarding. WE attempted to schedule with several different specialists who would not show up for appts. When they did they were productive, but just dissapointing.

Hi Amy, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience; it's not the type we aim to deliver. We apologize that getting set up and running has been a challenge and we'd like to help. Please contact us at customercare@avalara.com so we can work to address your frustrations.

KP

Kyle P.

Wholesale, 51-200 employees

Customer Service Issues

I would not recommend this product to anyone going forward. I regret that I have already suggested it to a couple of people. I think it would be a great software once it's installed and operational, but my experience with their customer service has been so bad that I don't think I would want to continue to try and work with them.

Pros

The software seems to be very easy to use. It also serves a huge and really complex need.

Cons

My experience has been awful. I had to request a new sales person in the beginning because I couldn't get him to send me a quote. I had to send two different emails to get an integration engineer to schedule and appointment to meet with me. On the day of the meeting, I schedule some other people to be present for implementation. The engineer ended up missing the meeting completely so we integrated...

Kyle, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience; it's not the type we aim to deliver. We apologize that the implementation process has been a challenge and we'd like to help. Please contact us at customercare@avalara.com so we can work to address your frustrations.

ES

Elizabeth S.

Chemicals, 11-50 employees

Expensive, consider all options

Pros

The ease of entering, return submission, and access of the final return.

Cons

That EVERYTHING is a cost and nothing is all encompassing. From the customer service to the number of transactions/returns you have, each on eis a cost and it's not cheap

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We are happy to know our solution is working well, though we apologize if pricing expectations were not clearly expressed. We'd like to learn more about your experience to avoid any recurrences. Please contact customercare@avalara.com if you're open to conversation.

Gabriel D.

Consumer Goods, 10,001+ employees

Tax Cert Organization for any Sized Company

Pros

I use Avalara's CertCapture program for filing all of the tax certs my company receives. If you are still keeping physical copies, you need to consider this. CertCapture allows the user to assign account numbers and names to every cert uploaded - it also allows expiration dates to be set. A report is processed every couple of weeks to see which of our customers will need to send in updated paperwork. Then an automated email and fax are sent, reminding them what certs are needed. Staying in compliant is one of my top priorities and this allows me to do so with ease.

Cons

I am honestly struggling to think of anything negative to say about this software. We currently use Vertex for our tax calculations, i would like to start using AvaTax though. I work for a large corporation and from what I've been told AvaTax doesn't meet our business needs. I would like to see that change in the coming years.

Reanna R.

Security and Investigations, 501-1,000 employees

Takes the hassle out of filing taxes

Pros

- Portal is easy enough to navigate. Lots of training and tutorials provided - "Set it and forget it" .. well not exactly .. you still have to monitor and reconcile monthly to ensure everything is running smoothly. But saves a lot of time logging in and figuring out how to file taxes monthly for each state. - Reporting is very transparent. Easy to download reports, and compile and save info for auditing purposes.

Cons

- Use Tax functionality is not fully automated for all software. We use NetSuite, and there's no way to capture Use Tax on Expense Reports so these must still be entered into Avalara manually. - Customer Support is sometimes lacking. It takes forever to get a hold of someone on the phone, and when you do, many of the times the case just gets escalated to someone else so no immediate help. Also, they may point you to an article online that you've already found by Googling on your own.

LM

Lisa M.

Consumer Electronics, 51-200 employees

User Friendly

Have cut down the time considerable in processing returns using Avalaa.

Pros

Easy to use. The Avalara website is very helpful with sales tax questions.

Cons

Account manager is not always knowledgeable and will give incorrect info.

Lisa, thank you for sharing about your experience with Avalara, we're happy to hear it's been positive. We are committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, and we look forward to continuing to serve you.

CC

Catherine C.

Retail, 1-10 employees

The most terrible customer service ever

Please, please do not use this service if you can avoid it. I am a Shopify Plus member and am held hostage by Avalara because Shopify doesn't offer any other choices. If you can avoid them, you must. They are horrendous.

Pros

The salesman made Avalara seem like it would be SO easy to use & implement. They were really friendly and aggressive to tell me how wonderful Avalara was. It was all trickery. Once they got me to sign their contract, the support offered was absolutely terrible. I really can't believe that this company is still in business.

Cons

They charged me to register in 10 states. 5 of those states they then came back and told me they could not complete the registration and that I would have to do it. They never refunded me for what I paid for this. I asked at least 10 times and then had to file a VISA dispute. They change my rep. all the time and are very disorganized overall. During the first month I had to go into each of the 10 states and file my own $0 return. No one from Avalara even noticed. Thankfully I had been logging into each state myself to check on things when I saw their level of incompetence. Once there, I saw that I had returns due in a few days. Avalara didn't even know. Shame on them. I paid them a lot to help me.

Hi Catherine, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us; though it's not the type we aim to deliver. We'd like to learn more and help find a solution. Please reach out to us at customercare@avalara.com so we can assist.

TC

Tina C.

Consumer Electronics, 201-500 employees

Avalara

Pros

Helping us to be compliant in tax reporting.

Cons

There were too many steps to upload certificates, but that has been resolved with Avalara streamlining with Avatax. I don't like that it does not work well with our software, it's still a lot of manual manipulations, however, it's just our software.

Hi Tina, thanks for taking the time to write about your experience with Avalara. We work hard to deliver a reliable solution, and we're grateful for the opportunity to serve you. We are sorry your software isn't giving you the best connection, and our team is happy to troubleshoot with you if needed. Reach out to us at customercare@avalara.com if you'd like to continue this conversation.

Automotive, 51-200 employees

Great tool for eCommerce, but error messaging sometimes unclear

Pros

We love how AvaTax automatically calculates and reports on sales tax - there don't seem to be any competitors that can do it as well as Avalara does. The Magento extension works perfectly and we run into issues only occasionally.

Cons

When we do run into issues, it's either because the data coming in to AvaTax is garbage data (not really their fault), or because of random matchback issues related to tax product codes and address verification. For the latter, the errors are really not verbose enough to solve the problem. Manual reposting of transactions isn't very intuitive when you have to fix errors/mistakes on an order without literally logging into AvaTax and creating new records.

MY

Max Y.

Wholesale, 11-50 employees

Full service sales tax solution - Saves a lot of time!

Lots of time saved, peace of mind regarding rates charged and filings.

Pros

The website is fairly easy to use once you get used to it, including the Avatax and Avacerts websites. Integration was relatively painless with Netsuite and was mostly handled by the Avalara team. No having to worry about rates being correct. With the filing service no having to worry about tax filings.

Cons

The software is fairly expensive, and there are no like-for-like alternatives on the market. Some of the tier breaks are strange (specifically with the certificate capturing portion). Doing a few things isn't as intuitive as it could be, such as taxing a regularly exempt customer one time on a specific order.

CP

Carlyle P.

Wholesale, 11-50 employees

Technical Difficulties

Pros

I like the ease of use - the drop downs and categories are perfect.

Cons

When I have technical issues with specific transactions customer support isn't always knowledgeable enough to help. When I have specific tax calc questions support will never respond with an answer - as you are "not" tax advisors and sometimes the question is not that limited.

Carlyle, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers a reliable and easy-to-use solution, and we are grateful for the opportunity to serve you. If you have additional feedback to share, especially around areas where you see opportunity for improvement, please contact customercare@avalara.com.

JB

Julie B.

Consumer Goods, 10,001+ employees

User of Certcapture -IDSC Holdings Snap-on Industrial

I really like the tax information provided through the blog, and twitter feed. Managing tax documents has gotten a lot easier since I first started doing this 10 years ago.

Pros

I can customize for my needs Searching is easy Campaigns make collecting expiring certificates easy

Cons

I would like to be able to add email contact for our sales field when we send email or letter to customer in a campaign. Would like to be able to bulk upload certs Drop and drag would be cool for adding certs We have two sub companies set up. I would like to merge them so i have visibility for customers who are under both companies, and only have to upload a certificate once instead of under both companies.

AM

Amy M.

I have Avalara integrated on 2 of my online Bigcommerce stores.

Pros

As with most Bigcommerce integrations, setup was super easy. Signing up for an account and a couple clicks and you're good to go. Calculating sales tax/setup on the backend of an online store can be time-consuming if you don't have Avalara. I do not use the software to do any tax return prep or reports so the version I use is completely free. You can't beat free for a no hassle sales tax calculation experience. State laws change and it's nice to have software that keeps my stores up to code.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons to the software. It is free and truly takes the hassle out of calculating state sales tax for all my customers. If you are looking for a software to take care of all of your sales tax needs, such as reporting, you might be able to find cheaper alternatives.

LT

Linda T.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Simplifies the Sales Tax Process

We never could have managed 20k+ customer certificates manually! The modal for self-uploading benefits our customers, improves their experience and improves our internal company users as well.

Pros

The software is easy to use and the integration with CertCapture makes it easy to administer our sales tax program with over 20k exempt customers currently.

Cons

It is sometimes difficult to troubleshoot why the software does not act as expected. No helpful hints.

Linda, thank you for sharing about your experience with Avalara AvaTax and CertCapture, we're happy to hear it's been positive. We are committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, and we look forward to continuing to serve you.

Robert B.

Wholesale, 201-500 employees

As my company expanded into multiple taxes, having AvaTax was essential to managing sales & use tax.

This headache is almost entirely outsourced to specialist. We concentrate on our core business instead.

Pros

Once implemented, it is simple to use both for the administrators and our customers. AvaTax has covered a wide gamut of situations that my business presents. The software itself is thorough no matter what jurisdiction or product/service is sold and the product help desk is quick, user friendly and complete.

Cons

The integration with our ERP software and e-commerce website yields a frequent rounding issue on the customers' invoices. Not blaming AvaTax for the issue, but neither AvaTax nor our ERP have the flexibility to address the problem.

JW

Junelle W.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees

great product

Pros

AVA TAX it can help business easily calculate muti-states' sales tax and generate tax report. Sales tax rate is up-to-date.

Cons

ECM Pro need to connect with state tax ID lookup system

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara products. We work hard to deliver our customers a reliable solution, and we’re grateful to have the opportunity to serve you.

KK

Kimberly K.

Mining & Metals, 10,001+ employees

Avalara Cert Capture

The Avalara system has been very beneficial in the tracking and uploading of tax certs for all of our customers. It has also proved to be a very efficient way of pulling certs during audit reviews.

Pros

Uploading tax certs and searching for tax certs within the system is very simple

Cons

This isn't really a con. Currently we have not used the reporting function or the request for information function. It isn't as simple and takes a lot more time from what we have been told. The instructions we received were very detailed and seemed a bit complicated. I will be able to better score this once we have a chance to actually work with it.

BG

Bonnie G.

Wholesale, 51-200 employees

Avalara review

Working beautiful with ERP system

Pros

Automated the sales tax process reduced errors from previous manual process.

Cons

would like more flexibility in reporting. extra selection criteria fields in Avatax reports, like wanting to run on a specific customer. in certcapture, would like to pick and choose fields to print on downloaded reports. you can select on these fields, but some fields aren't on the report.

Bonnie, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Avalara. We appreciate your feedback and are passing along your thoughts on AvaTax and CertCapture reporting to our product team.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Avalara Charges for doing nothing. They provide no benifit at high cost. Do not subscribe.

Avalara sold me on what they described as a sales tax service that freed me from the headache of filing quarterly reports. For this they charged me about $300 initiation fee and then $29 per month. Every report they filed had 000000. NOTHING! Why? Because I had to file the report to them. Then they would file the tax form to the local government agency. What I joke. I just filed my tax report myself....

Pros

Zero service. You must file the report for them. What are they charging for?

Cons

High cost. No benefit. Avalara only files what you file with them. This is useless service at a high cost. Just file you tax yourself as they do nothing unless you file the income and tax with them first. What a joke. Charge me for nothing and then refuse to refund even one cent. Every form they filed with my city was 000. I filed it myself at no extra cost. It is just as easy to file my tax report myself as to file the report with Avalara who charged me over $1000 and never filed one proper report. Save your money they do nothing.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention again. We are sorry for the frustration you've experienced. Our team remains committed to supporting you. Please continue to follow up directly.

DB

David B.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Be very, very careful - a world of disspointment awaits

A horrendous and very disappointing experience that unfortunately still has not been resolved. Could not recommend. Their customer support primary response is “refer to T&Cs” – even if you have a question about said T&Cs When we tried to cancel we were astounded to learn you need to pay your entire 12m subscription fees for "VAT Reporting for small Business" fees despite (after 82 days) still not...

Pros

There is nothing positive to say. An atrocious customer experience.

Cons

Can’t list them all, but mains ones are: - Appear to be Incentivised to delay VAT registration - Appear to be incentivised to delay cancellation of agreement - Atrocious customer service – Account Managers default reply is “Refer T&C’s” - Overall incompetance seems to be the theme

Hi David, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We strive to offer the best service possible for our customers and the billing frustrations you've described are not what we want. We apologize if pricing expectations were not clearly expressed and we understand how unexpected costs would be upsetting. We'd like to learn more about your experience to avoid any recurrences. Please contact us at customercare@avalara.com so we can work to address the issue.