Avalara Logo

RK

Rajesh K.

Furniture, 1,001-5,000 employees

Awesome experience

Very good products, nice customer care support

Pros

Integration, easy to use, high performance and accuracy

Cons

May be need to have competent pricing. All the products are good.

Hi Rajesh, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers the best service possible, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you.

SV

Samuel V.

Retail, 1,001-5,000 employees

User Experience

Pros

It is easy to make customized rules to fit your company's jurisdiction rules.

Cons

It is a little pricey. The price seems to go up each year.

Hi Samuel, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers a reliable and easy-to-use solution, and we're grateful to have the opportunity to serve you.

LM

Laura M.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Best Customer Service for our Sales Tax Needs

Pros

Gives a piece of mind that a 3rd party can submit and file my taxes for me.

Cons

Integrating into a new software was a bit of a challenge, but in the end, all went well.

Hi Laura, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with Avalara. We're committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, so we're happy to hear your experience with us has gone well.

GM

George M.

Computer & Network Security, 11-50 employees

Slight learning curve, but fantastic customer support to guide you

As mentioned in the title, there is a bit of a learning curve with the software, but Avalara has an amazing customer service team to help guide us along the way. Some really technical questions led to us working directly with the research/technical teams, which was great. On the whole, I have never worked with a customer success/service team that is as stubbornly determined to fix problems. I am very impressed.

Pros

Once integrated/learned, which can take a bit of time (we use AvaTax for QBO), it is a powerful tool to quickly calculate sales tax.

Cons

Definitely not user friendly (at first). Once you get past the initial learning curve, it isn't bad though.

Hi George, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience getting started with Avalara. We're committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, so we're happy to hear our customer service team has made a positive impact in your experience ramping up with us. We look forward to serving you in the future.

EN

Emilio N.

Consumer Goods, 51-200 employees

Avalara Avatax

The product is very solid and provides a very accurate tax calculations.

Pros

How simple and accurate the software is.

Cons

Some times it feels a little bit slow when running from inside our ERP Software.

Hi Emilio, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We love reading that you think our products are simple and accurate, as that is exactly what we aim to be! We are grateful to serve you.

FL

Frank L.

Consumer Goods, 1,001-5,000 employees

Sales Tax Review

Fairly inexpensive and comprehensive but customer service is lacking.

Pros

It is well automated and does most of the work of the compliance for you.

Cons

Customer service can be very basic. Sometimes if there are notices it's hard to get a hold of somebody to discuss and it can be a pain to get a POA when we just want to discuss the issue.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver a reliable solution, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you. Regarding your feedback about customer service, we'd appreciate an opportunity to learn more your experiences. If you're open to continuing the conversation, please contact customercare@avalara.com so we can share your insights with our support teams.

ES

Emily S.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Avalara Helps us Handle all of our Sales Tax Compliance Needs

Our team has found Avalra's sales tax products to be detailed, helpful, and dependable. We can always find what we need in their portal, whether that is a report, a previously filed return, or anything in between.

Pros

The usability of Avalara products and how you can easily access all products in one space is our favorite part of the software. It is easy to use and anyone can find what they need with minimal effort.

Cons

Configurations and custom tax settings can be confusing. For example, configuring the Chicago Lease Transaction Tax was difficult.

Hi Emily, thanks for sharing your review of Avalara. We work hard to deliver the best products possible, and we so we are happy to read your team is benefiting from our services.

CH

Carol H.

I have used AvaTax software for approximately 8 years and have NEVER had a problem.

Our tax calculations were always accurate and accurately changed according to state requirements.

Pros

It works seamlessly and I don't have to think about it. Customer service is great and once I got the hang of it, I found it very easy to make changes by myself.

Cons

I really have no complaints at all. The program has been very reliable. I can't think of anything I would change.

KH

Kellie H.

Avatax helped simplify our sales tax compliance

Pros

Our company has nexus in 31 states. Each state has different forms, requirements and rates. AvaTax helps us stay in compliance with each one. It saves us a tremendous amount of time. It computes sale tax with the most up-to-date rates.

Cons

Our accounting software is Sage 500 with customization. Implementing Avatax was tedious and involved a lot of time.

Computer Software, 201-500 employees

Efficient

Pros

Pros: Seamless integration with accounting software Easy to use and automated walkthrough are available Large community available for troubleshooting and researching topics Customer service is readily available

Cons

Cons: Once approved, changing the filing status of a return can’t be done without assistance Amending returns is not apparent and requires assistance.

BA

Bharat A.

Insight Avalara

A good product to save time and money.

Pros

It makes it easy to calculate tax, invoice creation is very quick. Saves lots of time.

Cons

Did not find any cons yet. But I would say it can be better if we can have the connector integrated.

Bharat, thank you for taking the time to write about your experience getting started with Avalara. We're committed to offering a reliable and easy-to-use solution, so we're happy to hear your experience with us has gone well.

VB

Victoria B.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Great software, saves company a lot of man hours.

Sales Tax Calculations, Filings Sales Tax Returns with multiple states

Pros

Accuracy, easy to use, saves time. Provide timely information on government regulations, rates changes, etc. Avalara provides a lot of useful information to its customers

Cons

I like most of it. If I can do one change, I would love Avalara to do states set up, and respond to states requests

Computer & Network Security, 51-200 employees

A good product at a decent price.

When it comes to calculating sales tax for a company at scale, I can't think of any other product I would use.

Pros

I've used AvaTax with two different companies and have found it to be relatively easy to use. The software does its job, and I like that the tax rates are pulled in based on geolocation instead of just state or county.

Cons

Some of the user interface changes in the most recent update have taken some getting used to. We use QuickBooks Online and sometimes the connection with AvaTax can cause the program to slow.

BV

Bina V.

Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 employees

Has made my job easier!

Avalara has made it easier for our company to be in compliance with all the states. I love that it is easy to use and has good customer service.

Pros

I love that they have customer support available and you do not have to wait long. Their website is easy to use.

Cons

I wish they would post their returns onto the website sooner. It is delayed by a month in most cases.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Used other for less than 6 months

Awful awful awful

My salesperson said we'd simply connect the app to our Shopify platform and everything would be automated. LIES. I couldn't believe the emails I got that detailed what I needed to do to get set up. It was absolutely ridiculous. I paid them $4700 and would still need to do the heavy lifting for getting the application set up. I expressed my disappointment to my "implementation" guide and his response...

Pros

The only thing I like about this software wasn't actually true. The salesperson oversimplified how the app works and how to get it started.

Cons

The set up is absolutely ridiculous. There's no setup wizard. You literally get a barrage of emails telling to you to click links and do the steps detailed in the email. Business owners paying thousands of dollars to get started should never have to do what this app is requesting.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience; it's not the type we aim to deliver. We apologize that the implementation process has been a challenge and we'd like to help. Please contact VP of Customer Excellence Bobby Sands at customercare@avalara.com so we can learn more and work to assist.

Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Generally excellent for handling sales tax - beware of service issues however

Tax handling has become much easier and carefree - at least when the service is working. When it is having issues? Causes more work. Not a good look for them, regardless of how good it is otherwise.

Pros

For handling sales tax calculations down to a specific country or area, it's excellent. For being precise about this, you can count on Avalara. Additionally, they have some internal calculator tools when you need to find a tax with more precision.

Cons

In the past few months at least, there have been quite a lot of service issues, which have resulted in incorrect tax calculations, further resulting in messed up orders, thus more work. Whatever is the issue, it is making me start to question what's going on and lose confidence in the service. The internal calculator tools for precise tax calculation is not super intuitive, so it will take some thought to figure out.

Thank you for sharing about your experience using Avalara AvaTax, we appreciate your feedback. As you mentioned, some AvaTax customers have recently experienced periodic, short-term degraded service. Our teams are actively working on a fix to this issue. We apologize that you've experienced challenges. If you're open to a conversation, please contact our VP of Customer Excellence Bobby Sands at customercare@avalara.com so we can learn more and work to assist.

Edward C.

Makes our life easy

Pros

When collecting sales tax in multiple states, Avalara makes your business flow with ease. You can concentrate on what you do best with your business and know Avalara is taking care of the rest.

Cons

I would like to see the Tax Certificate Capture made a little easier for the user. The cost of both Tax and Capture a little expensive.

Avalara is as great solution for our sales tax process.

Pros

The product is very easy to use from calculating the sales tax for invoicing to summarizing the monthly data for sales tax filings. It is a very affordable solution.

Cons

If I had to pick one area to improve perhaps more features could be added for reporting monthly activity. However, this product meets all of our needs at this time.

KD

Kate D.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Software is great, customer service is not

Our current ERP is not robust enough to handle our current sales tax requirements - but Avalara is. So we're thrilled from that perspective.

Pros

The software is great, very detailed and a huge time saver.

Cons

The customer service is the worst I've ever had to deal with. Our account rep is great and responsive, but regular customer service is just horrible.

TS

Tammy S.

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Great service, classes, very helpful

Great

Pros

Easy to use once set up. Any issues they have support and videos to help.

Cons

I do not have any negative about the software

Hi Tammy, thank you for taking the time to share your experience using Avalara. We work hard to deliver our customers a reliable and easy-to-use solution, and we're grateful to have the opportunity to serve you.

LD

Lisa D.

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Easy Auto Tax Calculatations that does the work for you!

We've recently integrated Avalara to a secondary software without any glitches. It provides all tax updates accurately and with ease.

Pros

I like that Avalara keeps up with the tax rates and automatically updates customers without having to do it manually.

Cons

I have no complaints. It does the job we need and does it well.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Lisa! We are glad to read our products are working well for your business.

VB

Victoria B.

Wholesale, 51-200 employees

Easy to use software

Pros

Pulling and printing reports for individual states.

Cons

Cases being closed too soon and having to reopen the case.

Victoria, thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We work hard to deliver our customers the best service possible, and we're grateful for the opportunity to work with you.

Bill S.

Wholesale, 1-10 employees

Works well with 3DCart

Quite good. No problems

Pros

It works well for our needs on our web-stores. Always accurate and quick.

Cons

None to speak of. Perhaps if we'd had any issues, I could list them.

Bill, thank you for sharing about your experience with Avalara AvaTax, we're happy to hear it's been positive and we look forward to continuing to serve you.

Business solution

Pros

Avalara is adaptable across a broad range of accounting platforms and works smoothly across all of our companies. The install teams were very helpful during the initial installations and the training modules and online support provided the help needed to make sure the systems were up an running efficiently. On an ongoing basis I find the support staff (online chats) and especially the account manager knowledgeable, courteous, and diligent in resolving our customer issues.

Cons

Avalara works great in processing huge numbers returns on an ongoing basis but I think the back filing process is cumbersome and typically deal with those issues myself.

Internet, 11-50 employees

Great tools

Pros

simplifies a very difficult subject, calculating sales tax, determining nexus and get filings in on time has become much easier.

Cons

They good do a slightly better job of onboarding new customers, the process was much simpler once it was understood, but getting rolling took a bit of time.