Invoice Ninja Reviews

4.91/5 (94 reviews)
Pros
  • Clear, modern look to the produced invoice.
  • Love this program it is so easy to use and love the different layouts to choose from
  • Very easy to use Clean and straight forward Simple, with fundamental features Customize invoice capability
  • Love that Invoice Ninja is super easy to use and has a variety of valuable features. Additionally, the price is right!
Cons
  • can't think of anything I don't like about it
  • I can't think of anything I dislike about Invoice Ninja.
  • when I find some I'll have to come back and fill this in.
  • The search box is called 'Filter'. It says a lot when my biggest con is a word!
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Ali Yocca

Huge value for the price

Reviewed 2017-09-04

On-time and easy payments from clients

Pros

Cons
Wish it would integrate with Quickbooks, but even though it doesn't, it's value outweighs the costs of having to manually enter client payments.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank your for your review! If you use Quickbooks online you can integrate the apps using Zapier: https://zapier.com/zapbook/invoice-ninja/quickbooks/ Otherwise, maybe you can import/export the data. Feel free to email us for help.

Kaled Hammad

Self Hosted Invoice Ninja User

Reviewed 2018-11-17

Invoice Ninja has no competitors in it's class!

Pros
every feature works and is easy to configure, it is reliable and works with so many payment gateways! The tech team really keeps up with hard to find features such as client signature on PDF invoice! that one alone is very hard to find in almost any other software without a lot of work to implement. It's mobile friendly with no CSS modifications required.

Cons
can't think of anything I don't like about it

Anonymous

Very satisfied with this product and the support behind it!

Reviewed 2018-09-14

After years of searching for invoice software to meet my personal technological demand I found Invoice Ninja. I am absolutely blown away! Operating a small business is no task for the meek, but when your invoicing software allows you to document so much to one invoice you know you have your bases covered. This product meet ever want i have ever had to present to my customers. I am self hosted for the first time in my life and find myself released from my host's many charges. I chose white-label only to show my support for this wonderful product. Even the support and customer service professionalism rocks my world. Any speed bump I had during the installation process was immediately straightened out by "Keymaster" Hillel Coren via google search and previously answering issues. Thank you all deeply for such a finely tuned wonderful creation.

Pros
Above every other great part of this program I am very please with it's simplistic interface. -documents attached to e-mail and pdf -mobile app just as clean as the web interface -diverse payment gateways -2FA security (never thought I would use this but they made this very easy) -variety of from free to paying solutions with a few added benefits to each -exports as needed

Cons
when I find some I'll have to come back and fill this in.

Michael Smith

Great App for Freelancers and Small Business

Reviewed 2017-09-04

Easy to create invoices for my clients, automatic follow up emails.

Pros
Free tier is great for creating invoices. Even the top tier is cost effective for Freelancers or Small Businesses who need the extra features. Always being updated, it is open source so if you want to assist or add your own features you can do what you want.

Cons
Could use a time-tracking feature, especially if it is aimed towards freelancers who are wanting to bill their time.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your extremely kind review! We agree entirely, we're working to improve our time tracking in an upcoming release: https://trello.com/c/9t8vEOWp/33-added-time-tracker

Juan Pacheco

The overal experience its been very successful over the last 2 years I been using the product.

Reviewed 2017-10-31

A central database with clients and providers, invoices, estimates, payments . they have a mobile app and also a time tracking software.

Pros
Excellent product, the support its awesome. My experience in general its very grateful, tried several invoices system but this has just what I need. Thanks Invoice Ninja for this excellent product. A Happy client!... Happy Days!

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your generous review!

Anonymous

Invoice Ninja handles all my invoicing perfectly

Reviewed 2018-03-20

Pros
Invoice Ninja is extremely flexible, allowing me to automate my invoicing so that I can focus on growing my business. I use everything from the invoice reminders to the Zapier and Stripe integrations to provide a simple-to-use payment system to my clients.

Cons
I have no complaints about Invoice Ninja. And because they are continually adding new functionality, I've learned new ways to improve my invoicing process.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We're working on some great new features for our next release in a few weeks :)

Michael Bur am Orde

Absolutely amazing peace of software

Reviewed 2019-02-19

Pros
I use the self hosted version! 1) Very simple to install 2) Very simple to update 3) Very fast interface with direct preview of the invoice 4) Very comfortable api

Cons
The Invoice Design is very minimalistic/simple. There a not options like indent positions or subtotal of lines. There is no option to assign the "payment" method to the invoice.

Marco Boers

Awesome software for a great price (free self host or 20usd/year Whitelabel)

Reviewed 2017-10-19

Easier invoicing, getting paid faster through iDeal (online payment) and easier management of expenses and administration tasks.

Pros
The free self host version is complete but the per year Whitelabel fee is totally worth it! The best about this software is the active development that really listens to suggestions from it's users. This makes it the most powerful invoice package available. If it isn't the best yet, it will be!!

Cons
The mobile accessibility could be improved. Also the Android app could be improved and maybe more focused on the tasks.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you very much for your excellent review! Agreed, we're currently working to improve the tasks functionality in the mobile and web versions of the app. Let us know if there are other features you'd like to see added.

Thomas Olesen

A simple solution to creating professional looking invoices that saves your time.

Reviewed 2017-09-05

Time saving and a more professional look.

Pros
Very quick to load and double check what is going on with respect to invoices so you don't need to have the software open all the time.

Cons
If you come from an accounting background some of the reports are unconventional. For instance the Statement only shows outstanding items and not a full audit trail.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thanks for your excellent review! We appreciate the feedback, in a recent release we've added additional settings to the client statement. We plan to continue to improve the reports in general.

Anonymous

This software is amazing and is able to handle simple and complex invoicing and project needs

Reviewed 2018-04-10

The open source software allows me to customize the application that suits me and fits around my business.

Pros
Ease of use. Feature-rich functionalities. Able to handle a wide array of client details. Great community. Excellent customer service.

Cons
As I have been using this software over the past year I have yet to come across something that was problematic.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Fabulous review! Thank you very much for your kind words! In the future, if you think of any features of functionality that you would like to see built, let us know! Thanks again!

Lance Thompson

Excellent product, we have been using it for several years for various projects

Reviewed 2017-10-04

receive $

Pros
ease of integration with stripe. Ability to add additional documents to payment page. Multi User Ability Multi Currency Mutli Project within 1 acccount

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's very much appreciated! Please be in touch if there are specific features you'd like to see added.

Hans Poelmans

Nothing but good words, if i encounter an issue i get allmost immediat response!

Reviewed 2017-06-01

Hassle free invoice creation

Pros
-Easy to use - All the features and then some - GREAT support - Continuous updates - Fast - Mobile App - Cheap to run

Cons
- Updating can be a hassle sometimes but support makes it up big time - I can't really thing if something more... ( 10char min :P )

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thanks for the amazing review! If you haven't already you may want to try using this shell script to auto-update the self-host version of the app: https://pastebin.com/j657uv9A

Gijs Rutten

Very simple but powerful peace of software for accounting/billing and some other useful features

Reviewed 2019-02-14

Managing clients and creating invoices through the REST-API. We use toggl for time tracking and zammad for tickets and all are connected with the REST API.

Pros
- Its layout and the clear design - It is fast und the UI is almost completely understandable without reading the Manuel - Some very good additional features for tasks and projects

Cons
The documentation for self-hosting could be a bit better. But hosting at invoiceninja's servers is very affordable. So for users like me that are no linux-pros, it is a better option to have invoiceninja host it for one.

Graeme Roberts

Invoice Ninja handles all my freelance writing and editing business with ease and accuracy.

Reviewed 2018-02-06

It has made business simple for me, and immediate payment easy for my clients. I get paid the same day, because those are the terms I set.

Pros
I love the payment alternatives, which now include AliPay for my Chinese clients. I also find the user interface incredibly intuitive. Invoice Ninja seems to know what I want.

Cons
I don't have any objections to Invoice Ninja. I know that there are more complex functions available for larger organizations and more complex billing situations, but they don't obtrude into my simple world.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, it's very much appreciated!

Joshua Sharp

Get it. Pay the $80/yr or whatever it is for the fancy version. Be thrilled with the value.

Reviewed 2017-09-06

It does automated billing tasks that are beyond the ability of many other (much higher cost) software we've looked at.

Pros
It accomplishes a task (automatic, variable-sum, bank drafts) that few services can do (and those that can do it for materially more cost). It works quite well on all my devices, you can integrate it with nearly anything at this point...

Cons
The UX is a little wonky sometimes. More clicks/loading than should be needed to do some tasks (related to manual record entry is where I've seen it the most).

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review! We're constantly working to refine the UX to optimize as many use cases as possible. If you could email us with specific workflows which take more clicks than needed it would be very helpful to us. We'll review and attempt to fix where possible.

Tom lawrence

This is an outstanding and well though out open source invoicing system.

Reviewed 2018-03-01

A simpler invoicing workflow for my company and an easier platform for our clients to pay us.

Pros
The system also supports two factor security via the TOTP protocol which is nice as it does not rely on third-party websites for logging in. Being open source means we were able to look at the code base and verify that it was well put together and back end was not just cobbled together. Having this solid & rational code base has allowed them to provide fast support and feature enhancements. While I have not had any issues, I went through their forums and github and they have an outstanding response rate to both questions about the product and the code base.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review and for taking the time to review our codebase. We're constantly working to improve our code and features, if there's anything you'd like to see changed please let us know.

Blaise Clair

Unbelievable time saver!

Reviewed 2017-10-03

Easy to send invoices and manage incoming money

Pros
Integrates with basically every payment processor Ease of use is through the roof Plenty of documentation and forum support

Cons
I really REALLY wish I could manage project expenditures without charging them to the client. It would be amazing if I could allocate money to my freelancers within this dashboard

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review! Feel free to email us at contact@invoiceninja.com for help working out a solution to track expenditures, maybe you could use vendors/expenses?

Steven Ellis

Slow Save Problem

Reviewed 2020-02-21

Pros

Cons
appears to slow down once you have entered a few quotes, i have tried to clear the cache, but this does not seem to help, i have also archived most of the quotes not used and deleted those that declined, but still the program tends to go slow...

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Gabriel Paravisini

Very happy with the invoice app, exactly what I needed

Reviewed 2018-05-11

Pros

Cons
The only thing that took me a while to figure out was how to customize the invoice layout the way I needed. I had pre-printed invoices so I needed each field to be printed in the proper spot.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Fantastic review, thank you very much! We're so glad that you like the platform, and of you need any assistance in formatting your invoice designs please let us know! Thanks again!

Anonymous

Invoice Ninja is an epic way to manage invoicing!

Reviewed 2018-12-19

It's been a great experience so far. They don't have anything unnecessary to waste time on, and it looks sharp. I haven't had any issues.

Pros
I love how crisp and clean it makes our invoices look. I love that Invoice Ninja integrates with stripe (a really big deal for us!) and I really like their recurring billing options. It's also got a great dashboard for clients to manage their bills on, and I love that they can do partial payments and we can both see where their tab is at. I've tried a lot of invoicing systems and this is by far my favorite.

Cons
I can't think of anything I dislike about Invoice Ninja.

Mike Hosker

LOVE this software. Quite simply could not run my business without it. Support is excellent!

Reviewed 2018-04-25

Complete insights into my company financials and a streamlined invoicing process.

Pros
Feature rich and very very lightweight, always runs quick. Support is outstanding and all feature requests are considered fairly and if approved implimented very quickly!

Cons
Absolutely nothing. After many many hours of use, and many many invoices put through this software, I can quite categorically say I have found not one bad feature of this software. Sure, there has been a few bugs, but thats like any software. Whenever I have found and reported bugs they have always been fixed within days, if not even hours and they are never critical enough to stop me working.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Wow, what a review! Thank you so much for your kind words and 5 star rating! We hope we can keep putting out new features to keep you happy! Thank you!

Erica Jarman

I use the free version in a very simple way for a one-woman tour operator business. It's perfect!

Reviewed 2017-09-05

It links to Stripe to take payments from clients online.

Pros
It just works. No problems. It was easy to set up. I had one question and support replied immediately. It's so easy to use at the level I need now that I'm tempted to see what it can do at the paid level.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank you for your review! If you have any questions about the pro plan let us know. We try to make the free plan extremely usable and will keep adding features to both plans.

Sarah Patterson

Solid Option

Reviewed 2018-03-12

Pros
This is overall a really great option for most businesses. I love that it is open sourced and even the monthly fees for the paid tiers are extremely reasonable. The software was really easy to learn and implement. The free version allows you to add your logo and even included features like recurring invoices and read receipts when a client views or pays your invoice which I didn't see in most basic tiers of paid invoicing options out there.

Cons
We ultimately decided to go with another software (Wave Accounting) because we needed a more robust system and wanted an accounting software to accompany the invoicing system. For basic needs, Invoice Ninja is really great and I would consider using it again. I do wish paid versions were fully white label however. The paid versions still have "Invoice Ninja" on the custom urls and emails.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank for your review! Hopefully you'll get a chance to use us again in the future. Just to note... with the pro version our branding is removed from all emails sent to the client. We also support changing the link from invoiceninja.com to invoice.services so our brand is completely hidden.

Likelihood to recommend: 9/10

Chris Mumby

Clear And Easy

Reviewed 2018-09-20

Time. Ninja cuts a lot of tedious paperwork for me. Checking for double entries is easy, checking clients is easy, checking everything is quicker and easier for me to do. The learning curve is gentle when changing from another invoicing software to Ninja and the whole feel is professional yet simple and clean.

Pros
Clear, modern look to the produced invoice.

Cons
The search box is called 'Filter'. It says a lot when my biggest con is a word!

Marco GG

I recently switched from a desktop software to Invoice Ninja and i am very Happy!

Reviewed 2018-03-29

Pros
Platform-independent. Works on my Mac, PC, Tablet and Smartphone. Very helpful customer support. Excellent Software-quality.

Cons
Slightly confusing how invoicing of time-tracking tasks combined with fixed invoice positions works. But i am sure this will be figured out in a future release.

Response from InvoiceNinja

Thank your for your great review! Please email us and we'll work to figure out the fixed positions issue.