All categories

Learn why GetApp is free

Invoice Ninja

Open-source invoice, expense & task management platform

Invoice Ninja Reviews

Functional, quick loading

I run two businesses, the business I run with a partner uses freshbooks but I absolutely hate it. So I found invoice ninja for the business that I run by myself.

Pros

The features are clear, everything is pretty much laid out at first glance. A lot of people prefer simplified alternatives (like freshbooks or quickbooks) but I feel more comfortable using Invoice Ninja. It also loads faster and is less buggy.

Cons

It's not as pretty as freshbooks though, and the price is almost the same.

Great review! Thank you for your kind words and being a member! If you have any questions, we're at your service!

Invoice and the team running it are amazing!

Fast and intuitive, allow me to manage my invoices, quote, recurring from one interface.

Pros

Nice UI/UX, really impressive on how easy it is to manage your business with that. I also love the buy buttons, that allow to turn any web page in a professional shop.

Cons

I'm also using the open source version of it, and the optimization is still a bit misterious, I have a bit of troubles to make it as fast as the online version. But I'll figure it out :)

Thank you for your very kind review! Feel free to email us and we'll help you optimize your install. We'll also try to add clearer instructions in the docs.

Highly functional and perfect for freelancers and those with lower volume invoicing needs

I can see my metrics for cash coming in and payments made right when I log in. The ease of adding terms to the invoices, creating products/clients, and the beautiful interface are what keep me using it instead of looking for some other alternative.

Pros

First off, I love that it's free. I'm a big fan of free, open source software. The basic features I need to run my business are included with the free version that are super helpful: adding products/services/clients and saving them for later use, the ability to create quotes and convert them to invoices if I win that business, and an invoice generator which allows me to send the invoice directly to the client from the website's dashboard.

Cons

My only complaint is that all of the features I really want are in the Pro (paid) version, and I just can't bring myself to pay just for invoice aesthetics or saving a bit of time and energy here and there with integrations. If your business does a lot of transactions, it would likely be worth it so that you don't have to go in and touch it 50 different times a week.

Thank you for your great review! If you're on the fence about our $8/ month Pro Plan, we'll be happy to give you a year for free to test it out! Please let us know, and thanks again!

Self-hosted option has incredible features - more than most invoice/project software in the market

Pros

- Client portal - Invoice customisation - Clean, user-friendly design - Self-hosting option - Low price - No monthly cost for self-hosting - No restrictions apart from white-label logo removal - Loads of settings for invoices, quotes, clients and payments - Support for accepting multiple payment gateways for invoice payments and support for payment gateway fees - Ability to setup recurring invoices - Very comprehensive invoice/quote auto-emailing system

Cons

- Currently no support for Dropbox or file sharing system - PHP 7 and Lavarel can be tricky for setting up self-hosting server - Currently no ability to customise admin area with own logo/branding - Mobile layout is a bit clunky and could have better navigation - No calendar or planning functionality - would be nice to have some Gaant Chart or milestone planning functionality that ties in with tasks

Thank you for your great review! We are just now relaunching our mobile apps, they're amazing, please reach out to us if you would like early access. Also, we are launching a new ticketing system that works with teams, this may be a great solution for you based on your comments. Thank you again, please let us know if we can assist any any way!

Invoices with my branding and ability to accept payment with Stripe

Pros

I went with the hosted paid version, which allows me to include my logo and custom number my invoices. I can keep a simple product list for filling in my invoices, and accept payments with Stripe. Clients have had no problem paying their invoices since I started in January 2017.

Cons

I wish it accepted both Stripe and PayPal, but I haven't figured that out. Occasionally it hangs for a bit after creating a new client but doesnt freeze anywhere else. The reports are useful, but the Tax Rate one doesn't include the client's name, only invoice numbers and from what I can tell it is in first name order when I look the numbers up.

Thanks for your review! Feel free to email us if you'd like help setting up PayPal along with Stripe or if you experience any software issues. We'll make sure to add the client name to the tax report in our next release.

The best invoicing software on the market

We used zoho and another alternative before, both were crap. Many more people should use invoice ninja, we are very very satisfied ! Our customers love their portal a lot as well.

Pros

- Very complete solution - Intuitive and easy to use - Online signing & payment for customers - AMAZING support - Affordable - I'm pretty much sure we've never encountered any software issue - So much more to say

Cons

- Custom invoice template a bit hard to setup, not very standard . But we managed to have a layout we like.

searched for time registration, found an exceptionally well working program

Pros

When I started to use Invoice Ninja, I didn't know all the options and possibilities nevertheless the opensource version was quick to install. During my updates and using the program I started to love the program and started exploring all features. All my yearly and monthly invoices are sent automatically and time registration is done with a breeze.

Cons

The only Con is that in the community version is not a update the software button. The update process in itself is simple (overwriting all files with the updates files) it could be easier.

Thank you for your excellent review! Agreed, we hope to improve the selfhost update process in the future.

Huge value for the price

On-time and easy payments from clients

Pros

Love that Invoice Ninja is super easy to use and has a variety of valuable features. Additionally, the price is right!

Cons

Wish it would integrate with Quickbooks, but even though it doesn't, it's value outweighs the costs of having to manually enter client payments.

Thank your for your review! If you use Quickbooks online you can integrate the apps using Zapier: https://zapier.com/zapbook/invoice-ninja/quickbooks/ Otherwise, maybe you can import/export the data. Feel free to email us for help.

Self Hosted Invoice Ninja User

Invoice Ninja has no competitors in it's class!

Pros

every feature works and is easy to configure, it is reliable and works with so many payment gateways! The tech team really keeps up with hard to find features such as client signature on PDF invoice! that one alone is very hard to find in almost any other software without a lot of work to implement. It's mobile friendly with no CSS modifications required.

Cons

can't think of anything I don't like about it

Very satisfied with this product and the support behind it!

After years of searching for invoice software to meet my personal technological demand I found Invoice Ninja. I am absolutely blown away! Operating a small business is no task for the meek, but when your invoicing software allows you to document so much to one invoice you know you have your bases covered. This product meet ever want i have ever had to present to my customers. I am self hosted for the...

Pros

Above every other great part of this program I am very please with it's simplistic interface. -documents attached to e-mail and pdf -mobile app just as clean as the web interface -diverse payment gateways -2FA security (never thought I would use this but they made this very easy) -variety of from free to paying solutions with a few added benefits to each -exports as needed

Cons

when I find some I'll have to come back and fill this in.

Great App for Freelancers and Small Business

Easy to create invoices for my clients, automatic follow up emails.

Pros

Free tier is great for creating invoices. Even the top tier is cost effective for Freelancers or Small Businesses who need the extra features. Always being updated, it is open source so if you want to assist or add your own features you can do what you want.

Cons

Could use a time-tracking feature, especially if it is aimed towards freelancers who are wanting to bill their time.

Thank you for your extremely kind review! We agree entirely, we're working to improve our time tracking in an upcoming release: https://trello.com/c/9t8vEOWp/33-added-time-tracker

The overal experience its been very successful over the last 2 years I been using the product.

A central database with clients and providers, invoices, estimates, payments . they have a mobile app and also a time tracking software.

Pros

Excellent product, the support its awesome. My experience in general its very grateful, tried several invoices system but this has just what I need. Thanks Invoice Ninja for this excellent product. A Happy client!... Happy Days!

Cons

Thank you for your generous review!

Invoice Ninja handles all my invoicing perfectly

Pros

Invoice Ninja is extremely flexible, allowing me to automate my invoicing so that I can focus on growing my business. I use everything from the invoice reminders to the Zapier and Stripe integrations to provide a simple-to-use payment system to my clients.

Cons

I have no complaints about Invoice Ninja. And because they are continually adding new functionality, I've learned new ways to improve my invoicing process.

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review! We're working on some great new features for our next release in a few weeks :)

Million star customer support

What prompted this review was a series of trials and failures with different products and Invoice Ninja itself over about two months. We finally selected Invoice Ninja for what it could do to fit into our required customer experience sequence. And then.... we couldn't get the invoice to configure exactly as we needed - it *had* to show GST component within the charge and it *had* to calculate this...

Pros

The fact it is available to the Australian market and can generate a ATO required TAX Invoice

Cons

Was a little tricky to set up for a low-level tech person

Thank you so much for your kind words and great review! We always work to reply to every question immediately! Welcome aboard!

Absolutely amazing peace of software

Pros

I use the self hosted version! 1) Very simple to install 2) Very simple to update 3) Very fast interface with direct preview of the invoice 4) Very comfortable api

Cons

The Invoice Design is very minimalistic/simple. There a not options like indent positions or subtotal of lines. There is no option to assign the "payment" method to the invoice.

Awesome software for a great price (free self host or 20usd/year Whitelabel)

Easier invoicing, getting paid faster through iDeal (online payment) and easier management of expenses and administration tasks.

Pros

The free self host version is complete but the per year Whitelabel fee is totally worth it! The best about this software is the active development that really listens to suggestions from it's users. This makes it the most powerful invoice package available. If it isn't the best yet, it will be!!

Cons

The mobile accessibility could be improved. Also the Android app could be improved and maybe more focused on the tasks.

Thank you very much for your excellent review! Agreed, we're currently working to improve the tasks functionality in the mobile and web versions of the app. Let us know if there are other features you'd like to see added.

A simple solution to creating professional looking invoices that saves your time.

Time saving and a more professional look.

Pros

Very quick to load and double check what is going on with respect to invoices so you don't need to have the software open all the time.

Cons

If you come from an accounting background some of the reports are unconventional. For instance the Statement only shows outstanding items and not a full audit trail.

Thanks for your excellent review! We appreciate the feedback, in a recent release we've added additional settings to the client statement. We plan to continue to improve the reports in general.

This software is amazing and is able to handle simple and complex invoicing and project needs

The open source software allows me to customize the application that suits me and fits around my business.

Pros

Ease of use. Feature-rich functionalities. Able to handle a wide array of client details. Great community. Excellent customer service.

Cons

As I have been using this software over the past year I have yet to come across something that was problematic.

Fabulous review! Thank you very much for your kind words! In the future, if you think of any features of functionality that you would like to see built, let us know! Thanks again!

Slow Save Problem

Pros

Love this program it is so easy to use and love the different layouts to choose from

Cons

appears to slow down once you have entered a few quotes, i have tried to clear the cache, but this does not seem to help, i have also archived most of the quotes not used and deleted those that declined, but still the program tends to go slow...

Thank you very much for your great review & recommendations! We would be happy to assist with you cache/speed issues, please email us contact@invoceninja.com Thank you again!!!

Excellent product, we have been using it for several years for various projects

receive $

Pros

ease of integration with stripe. Ability to add additional documents to payment page. Multi User Ability Multi Currency Mutli Project within 1 acccount

Cons

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it's very much appreciated! Please be in touch if there are specific features you'd like to see added.

Nothing but good words, if i encounter an issue i get allmost immediat response!

Hassle free invoice creation

Pros

-Easy to use - All the features and then some - GREAT support - Continuous updates - Fast - Mobile App - Cheap to run

Cons

- Updating can be a hassle sometimes but support makes it up big time - I can't really thing if something more... ( 10char min :P )

Thanks for the amazing review! If you haven't already you may want to try using this shell script to auto-update the self-host version of the app: https://pastebin.com/j657uv9A

Very simple but powerful peace of software for accounting/billing and some other useful features

Managing clients and creating invoices through the REST-API. We use toggl for time tracking and zammad for tickets and all are connected with the REST API.

Pros

- Its layout and the clear design - It is fast und the UI is almost completely understandable without reading the Manuel - Some very good additional features for tasks and projects

Cons

The documentation for self-hosting could be a bit better. But hosting at invoiceninja's servers is very affordable. So for users like me that are no linux-pros, it is a better option to have invoiceninja host it for one.

Invoice Ninja handles all my freelance writing and editing business with ease and accuracy.

It has made business simple for me, and immediate payment easy for my clients. I get paid the same day, because those are the terms I set.

Pros

I love the payment alternatives, which now include AliPay for my Chinese clients. I also find the user interface incredibly intuitive. Invoice Ninja seems to know what I want.

Cons

I don't have any objections to Invoice Ninja. I know that there are more complex functions available for larger organizations and more complex billing situations, but they don't obtrude into my simple world.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, it's very much appreciated!

Get it. Pay the $80/yr or whatever it is for the fancy version. Be thrilled with the value.

It does automated billing tasks that are beyond the ability of many other (much higher cost) software we've looked at.

Pros

It accomplishes a task (automatic, variable-sum, bank drafts) that few services can do (and those that can do it for materially more cost). It works quite well on all my devices, you can integrate it with nearly anything at this point...

Cons

The UX is a little wonky sometimes. More clicks/loading than should be needed to do some tasks (related to manual record entry is where I've seen it the most).

Thank you for your review! We're constantly working to refine the UX to optimize as many use cases as possible. If you could email us with specific workflows which take more clicks than needed it would be very helpful to us. We'll review and attempt to fix where possible.

Great software for professional invoicing

From Excel-invoicing to Invoice Ninja was a huge leap in professionalization

Pros

Self-hosted iOS-app Open source Customer Portal

Cons

I have not been able to integrate my Dutch bank account?

Thank you very much for your great review! If we can ever be of service, we're here to help!

Select your country

10+ YEARS RECOMMENDING SOFTWARE

Ā© 2010-2021 GetApp. All Rights Reserved.