MIP Fund Accounting Reviews

MIP Fund Accounting

Fund accounting for government organizations and nonprofits

MIP Fund Accounting

University Fundraising Team

I personally found the coordinative POSSIBILITIES to be high, however the learning curve made it hard for the average user to become functional.

Pros

I enjoyed the ability to get an entire University on board and working in the same direction. Additionally, the ability to coordinate accounts is very helpful.

Cons

The learning curve is hard. It is easy to use poorly, and difficult to use easily. I became an adept user, but the difficulty in getting up to speed typically meant that other colleagues accomplished only the basic tasks, or neglected using it at all.

Payroll & Benefits Coordinator

I would like to do more precise reports, like who is on BCBS HMO and who is on BCBS PPO.

Pros

I like the tabs. I can quickly access what I need because the tabs make it so simple. I love love love the fact that I can put an annual salary on the Current Pay tab and it will calculate everything the salary and hourly rate for me. I love that! Every-time I have questions I can call over there and I get help. Even if I get these crazy ideas to try to do something new I ask my sales person Dan and he gets the answers for me.

Cons

Why do I have to enter some information more than once? I have to enter exempt and non-exempt on Current Job tab, Job History tab and Current Pay Tab...Why? Also the W-4 issued by the IRS says Single, Married or Married but filing at a higher Single rate. The box Single/head of household is confusing. On Address & Phone tab why do the Home, Cell & Fax boxes have "Ext" in the box? No one has an Ext at home or on their cell phones. Now you are just being lazy.

Abila Fund Accounting Use and Customization

The system itself has been around for a good while. For that reason, they have built a strong product if you are in the non-profit sector looking for some flexibility. Be warned that it is not an inexpensive system although the ongoing cost of maintenance and support is not too bad. Implementation and initial licensing are where they get you. Most use the product out of the box and even then require a good amount of training since it had too many features. I would try to stay away from customizations that touch the database directly because support will have a much more difficult time supporting you. Support is ok, however during an audit and UDS season you should expect to be on the phone on hold for 30+ min.

Pros

Once set up, you will enjoy the power of flexibility and customization.

Cons

Too many options that can easily use you. You need to be trained. Support wait times can be high. High initial implements ton cost.

My experience with the software was a good one.

Pros

the product was nice it was easy to use and very interactive. I like the fact that the dashboard is very comprehensive.

Cons

There is definitely more room for improvement,and at time could be little bit frustrating to use the product.

Abila can be your primary accounting software

Owing to the fact that modules can be added into the existing system, Abila offers a very versatile solution. We use it as a primary accounting software but it can be extended to HR as well as other departments just by the addition of modules. It is not too tough to learn but definitely some amount of time is needed initially to get used to it. Makes the process pretty smooth after that.

Pros

1. Abila offers modules that are customizable to suit the needs of small, medium and large size companies. These modules can also be purchased in parts as the requirements of the company change with time. 2. It offers a very good customer support system who help in setting up the accounting system initially and also help during operation if need be. 3. Fits the budget if you only buy the modules you need in case it is for a smaller organization with limited requirements.

Cons

1. Some features of the Abila software cannot be changed once the system has been set up like the number of digits in the fund code. 2. There could have been more number of options in the formatting of financial statements generated using this software. 3. Since it requires training in the initial to begin using the software, there is a cost involved in doing so.

Easy to tailor to your industry needs.

I'm still learning, but the more often I use Abila, and the more familiar I become I am enjoying the software more and more! It's very well designed.

Pros

There are a lot of features, and it's easy to get overwhelmed if you are new to accounting, however, if you are a quick learner and explore the features at length you can quickly figure things out until your transactions become intuitive.

Cons

It does assume a certain level of accounting proficiency on the part of the user. Those starting out will probably require some support in navigating. The "Help" search feature is very technical.

Product limited in feature like budget features as compared others

Pros

AP, AR, vendor records. I enjoy using these features. Vendor has an excellent customer care

Cons

Lack of budget features and its limitations in performing functions like grant management

Ok Accounting Software

It was just OK- didn’t love it didn’t hate it.

Pros

I really enjoyed all the functions of this software system. It never lagged or crashed on me.

Cons

I did not enjoy how there are limits to how many users could be on the software. Sometimes, I would not be able to log in the system because there were too many of my colleagues on it so I couldn’t do my work. It was frustrating.

MIP

Don't generally have any issues with the software but it seems to lag at times for no reason. Every environment is different but we've been using it for a long time. Updates don't seem to on a regular basis. On the great side, support seems to know what they're doing when contacted.

Pros

Citrix integrated, server and client install.

Cons

Clunky, slow at times. SQL Maintenance need to be WAY on top of it.

Workplace utilizes for Electronic Requisition system

Pros

We were able to move away from wasting so much paper and doing paper purchase orders for everything. MIP allowed for us to move into an easily submittable format.

Cons

Navigating the software itself can be clunky. I'm not sure if we have an older version or not, but there's some standard keystrokes that are different than intuition would say. The enter key saves and closes something and the tab key functions more as a traditional enter key which really messed with me for awhile.

Accomodating

Pros

easy to navigate from General Ledger to Accounts Payable or Accounts Receivable, cash receipt and reporting.

Cons

budgeting in the system is not so easy. can't setup to match my format but the ability to upload helps

Will Meet All Your Non-Profit ACCOUNTING Needs

I have used Abilia/Sage MIP Fund Accounting for the better part of 12 years in non-profit finance and it is the best I've used. I've also had experience with CYMA, Great Plains and OSAS, none of which could do everything I needed in the non-profit environment. Reporting is tremendous once everything is set up and ready to go. However, set up can be a bit of a struggle as the first few months are a bit of a getting to know each session and tweaking will most definitely needed. It also has a payroll module and HR module if you're looking to tamp down on having a bunch of systems. I saw a couple of reviews about how it's not good with development, but this particular product is not for development, it's for actual accounting.

Pros

Ease of reporting, filtering, GL intersectionality, Modules for AP-AR-Payroll-Purchase Orders-HR all available

Abila review

Everything about this software is exceptional. Training sessions are offered. Like any accounting software updates are necessary and Abila is exceptional.

Pros

This software allows our non profit to manage out finances and our payroll accounting. We are very dependent upon this software. Updates and training are consistent and timely.

Cons

A bit difficult to maneuver. Competent accounting background is a must. Beginners should only practice until they are competent in the software.

Good product

Pros

The product is flexible for setting up multiple fund buckets.

Cons

The backup and recovery process is a little cumbersome

Use

Pros

Loads of options, Layout is nice, Support, job costing, all the report options, and vendor and customer lists

Cons

Not user friendly Small fonts and tabs. US version looks better Uses not give you cash accounting option

Great solution from anywhere!

Pros

Cloud based was awesome as was security. It really felt like your information was secure. It had all the modules in an easy to use place.

Cons

It was a little expensive for a small company and didn’t need the cloud. I wish it had inventory and shipping capabilities to keep from buying two software packages and reconciling them.

Suitable for all

Pros

While there's a service fee for this product, it's a very useful tool for grassroots nonprofit organizations. The ability to customize Abila makes it a unique experience for each organization using the program.

Cons

There are a lot of options, which can seem daunting. Customer service is extremely reliable and offers training.

A review of Abila MIP accounting for non-profits

Pros

It's a great improvement over QuickBooks and is a true accounting program that is prepared for non-profits. Our auditor is impressed and happy. The initial support has been excellent and easy to work with. Overall, it's been a marvelous experience.

Cons

By virtue of the scope of functionality of the software, there is a small degree of complexity in the initial setup of account codes and permissions, etc. It's nothing to be overly concerned about. Just take your time and ask questions when you do not understand something.

Abila is a good product!

We use abila to put in requests for big purchases to be approved.

Pros

That it allows you to get money approved for big purchases quickly and efficiently.

Cons

That it can be slightly confusing to use if you are not provided all of the information that you use.

Review of Abila MIP Advance™

MIP Advance offers users the flexibility of a cloud-based system, along with strong fund management and reporting options.It is true fund accounting solution well suited for small-sized to mid-sized organization. Comes with lots of features.

Pros

Offers a mobile app. Cloud based.

Cons

Setup time can be high

good as it gets

Pros

Amazing! I literally did not read the instructions on how to get started. This is my type of setup. Now, I cant say this goes for everyone, but if you have a little experience then you will be fine

Cons

Like I mentioned before. The software is just too too easy to get familiar with. I dont see why you would skip pss this

Abila MIP Fund Review

Our accounting department uses this product and finds it very user-friendly and works well with the needs of our complex funds and accounts.

Pros

Ease of use.

Cons

No cons. It works well for our needs.

Font is too small for anyone with less than perfect eyesight.

Pros

The program is organized and user friendly, easy to navigate, easy to produce a report, easy to search.

Cons

Inability to increase font size on the main screens. The very small font size is very difficult to see and causes a strain for those of us who work on the system all day. This could discourage someone from purchasing the program if their employees have less than perfect eyesight.

MIP

I have utilized this software in previous organizations and find it to be a great enhancement from QuickBooks.

Pros

More secured

Abila MIP Fund Accounting

The product is very comprehensive and meets all of our needs. A bit pricey but worth the money.