Patriot Payroll Reviews - Page 2

2,711 reviews

Customer Service and Features / Restrictions

Payroll rules and tax reporting / payments are simplified in one place.

Pros

This software was very easy to use, and as my business grows I am finding the necessary features needed are available to me. Whenever I have called customer service, I usually have gotten a person that is knowledgeable and is able to help me. There have been times that the person called has not been able to help me, and was able to escalate my issue to someone that could.

Cons

Changes to setting sometimes allow changes that are incomplete. In 2019, I added the accounting software to Patriot Payroll. I updated settings in "Payroll Integration Options" but missed some. I was able to save the partial data and run a payroll. When reviewing the accounting journal entry that was generated from the first payroll with the accounting software, I saw the JE generated was incomplete. If I had not checked to verify this JE was correct, this would have been difficult to track down later. This is a big miss, and there should be some warning or stop to prevent this (incomplete data) from happening.

Best Business Decision!

EXCELLENT COMPANY! I LOVE this company! I only wish other businesses were as easy and user friendly as Patriot!

Pros

I do not have a business degree but I have my own medical practice. I used other companies for payroll and they repeated made mistakes and were expensive. I switched to Patriot 2 years ago and have been so happy about my choice! The staff was very helpful getting set up and once I was set up, it is so easy to use! I would never return to the big companies! I recommend Patriot to all of my colleagues!

Cons

The ONLY con is that it takes 5 business days to get the payroll done, so if there is a holiday and we forget it falls in the middle of the week, I end up having to hand write the payroll instead of direct deposit.

Patriot Payroll Rocks!

Saving time and eliminating the risk and liability of missing deadlines for filing are the biggest problems I'm solving. I spend 10 minutes max every two weeks on payroll.

Pros

Having tried filing payrolls documents myself, I found it to be a nightmare of paperwork, made that much more difficult by the State of Maryland, who seems to thrive on making things complicated. Enter Patriot Payroll to the rescue! They make payroll easy and even stay on top of the ever changing requirements doled out by the State. A huge timesaver!

Cons

As a sole proprietorship, I don't have a lot of super complicated payroll tasks, so I likely don't take advantage of the many features. I can't think of anything that I'm lacking as it takes care of 401k, taxes, and all of the straightforward payroll items I need.

Great software and tremendous support

I love Patriot Software. The tech support is unmatched. I ALWAYS get issues resolved in one call. The software is easy to use, and the monthly billing price makes a huge difference for customers with weekly payroll. I have one client that is saving hundreds of dollars per month.

Pros

My clients love the fact that they can process payroll in Patriot (especially using direct deposit) and be done with it. Patriot handles direct deposit, federal, state and local tax payments and filings, generating W-2's, generating 1099's for contract workers, etc. It makes it all very simple.

Cons

There are really only three things I would like to see changed: 1. If you start a payroll and want to change ANYTHING for ANY employee, you have to abandon all that you have done, change the employee information, and start over. I have clients with 40+ employees and this is something that they dread. I can understand the challenges of allowing the underlying data to be changed, but if it could require...

Price vs Value

I like it over all, my only one concern for the size of clients I have is the 4 days direct deposit, I don't like neither my clients the other option of add funds to Patriot to have next day direct deposit.

Pros

The software covers most of the frequently payroll needs. The price is according for what you get. Customer service is quick response, helpful and kind. Easy to navigate between companies. Easy to set up, the steps guide you very well to avoid any error. Contains value information of how to get tax account from other states. The blog contains value HR information.

Cons

The 4 days direct deposit. It does not notify that the date to run is coming up. Prefund next day payment.

Basic Payroll for Small Business

For small business, it's a great value. We are Full Service Payroll customers so I can't speak on partial service. I understand there is some manual effort on your part if you take the partial service option. My CPA was amazed that Patriot does Full Service payroll for what they charge. Like the Accounting Software, it's pretty basic compared to Quickbooks but if you only have a a few employees it's not a big deal. I also like that if you have a payroll question on "Why is this happening" they can answer it. Sometimes the answer goes beyond the functionality of the software and that's ok that their team will do that. Customer Service is excellent. Highly recommend Patriot.

Pros

The full service payroll is totally "hands off". They do everything, including filing reports. For the price it's a bargain. I can run Payroll in less than 5 minutes. The Wizard works well. If you make a mistake, delete the run and start over. Software is highly Available, as it is in AWS as I understand. Have never had an unplanned outage. If you are looking at the Payroll, consider the Accounting package also as the integration is totally seamless.

Cons

The reports can be confusing, but that's not an issue with the software, it's because I'm not an accountant. YTD reporting could be a little better.

This is the only payroll software I've ever used and the only one I ever plan to use

I love how hands off and easy to use it is. I run payroll weekly and it takes me about 5 minutes total. It's completely seamless and efficient!

Pros

When I signed up for Patriot (YEARS ago!) I wanted something that was user friendly, easy to navigate and had an awesome customer service team behind it. I'm an entrepreneur; not an accountant and I wanted a company that would help whenever I had tax related questions. Patriot has fit the bill for all of that.

Cons

The only thing that has been an issue is there have been two times in the last year in which my employees have woken up Friday morning and not had their direct deposit paychecks in their bank account. Given the stressful times of COVID this has caused them (mainly their spouses!) stress wondering where their paychecks have been. Luckily both times I've gotten on chat with Patriot and they've admitted the problem with their bank and have promised the direct deposits would be in by EOD. And they have been. I do hope they can get those kinks worked out bc no one likes to wake up and not have their owed money in their bank accounts. But for what it's worth... the communication about it is AMAZING and most of the time that is more important than anything else.

Words from a professional user

My overall experience with Patriot software has been great.

Pros

When I joined Patriot as an affinity partner, the software discounts were too good to ignore, especially from a company who offered equal functionality as other top providers in the market. My favorite feature about Patriot Software is the 100% automated payroll tax filing and payments. Other software companies that I have used claimed full automation, but there would inevitably end up being at least one or two tasks that had to be completed manually, which was frustrating. Patriot lived up to and continues to satisfy its promise.

Cons

My least favorite thing about Patriot software is that credit card accounts have to be set up as negative asset accounts versus liabilities, as Patriot (at least at the time of my first company's onboarding) did not accommodate positive liabilities.

Great Product For Accountant Users & Business Owners

Overall a great experience and will continue to use in the future. It gets the job done and it definitely feels like the company continues to grow and expand the product, always in positive directions.

Pros

Pleasant to look at and navigate the UI; has an intuitive design that usually allows one to figure things out quickly; the reports are top notch; and integrates with QBO & XERO. Also, the Advisor program for accountants is intriguing and definitely a plus, though I haven't capitalized on that quite yet.

Cons

At times, certain functions and the design seem basic and possibly below par than the competition in terms of features and additional (though not essential) tools or options. But I'm ok with this since the product does everything I need it to do.

Patriot Payroll Above and Beyond!

Patriots customer service is great. Anytime I have had an issue they have responded promptly with a fix or at least information regarding the issue.

Pros

Patriot is very user friendly and cost effective. Payroll is very easy to run and reports are easy to find and put together.

Cons

There are a few items that could use some help: 1st - Payroll Draws could have a section on the payroll run versus backing out and having to go in under the employee first. 2nd - Having the option to pay out a bonus without zeroing out a salary and adding in hours. System requires a 0 salary but 1 hour to pay out a bonus. 3rd - The option to pay out a bonus with only social security and medicare....

Best Customer Service!

Patriot provides a low-cost comprehensive payroll program that offers many of the features and benefits found in higher priced software. The customer service and support I have received when contacting the company is the best of any software we use.

Pros

Patriot is an easy to use, basic payroll program that allows the user to customize many aspects of their payroll processing. The customer service and support at Patriot are top notch!

Cons

I would appreciate more comprehensive reporting and the ability to somewhat customize report layouts to present the relevant information for the end user.

Payroll is best

Just finished our first year and have been really happy we made the change. Growing this portion of our business and we feel like we have a strong ally working with us.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. Customer service has been outstanding, we can get quick response to questions.

Cons

Some of the reports are a bit lacking. Minnesota need to file new hire reports, would be great if we could generate direct. Correcting or changing payroll in process need to cancel out, wish option was available to dial into tax to make changes.

The best decision!

Purchasing access to the Patriot Software program was one of my best decisions. In fact, I wish I had started sooner because it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I appreciate knowing when I call for tech support I will be able to speak with a person in a timely manner, and that person will be patient with me. I cannot imagine growing my business without Patriot Software.

Pros

I am both a scientist and an educator, not a business person by training. Patriot Software was recommended to me by my accountant. I primarily use the payroll features for my small business. It is so easy to use for both myself and employees. I appreciate the fact there is an employee portal. All of the features from running payrolls, to creating W2s is so user-friendly. And when I haven't been sure how to accomplish something the phone in teach support has been amazing. Aside from the product being a wonderful time saver for me to use, it also at a price point that is incredibly reasonable.

Cons

This is one of the rare items I have ever used where I have nothing constructive that should be changed. I have been thrilled with all aspects of the Patriot System.

Great Product at competitive prices

Love it. Been using it for over 2 years.

Pros

The UI - it is super easy and user friendly. The FAQ - it is one of the best FAQs and super accurate. Always resolved my problems. The cost - Super competitive and cost effective

Cons

I wish they would not charge extra for using the payroll for competitors.

Great payroll software!

Pros

I was able to scale up my needs without changing platforms or disrutping my currrent processes. When I hired one employee I was comfortable doing my own tax filings and paying taxes myself--Payroll ran the calcuations for me and I did the rest. As I scaled up, it made more sense to let someone else do the filing and tax payments for me so I switched over to full service payroll. It was a seamless transition and has been easy to manage. I still have plenty of control but know that deadlines are met and payments are made. I also really like that I'm not paying for services I don't need or don't care about.

Cons

It is occasionally difficult to figure out how to run reports to get certain information. In time, I've learned my way around but it doesn't always feel intuitive. However, the customer service when I do get stuck has been great! It is usually a longish wait on the phone but they are efficient and very helpful once I do get in touch.

Best support you could ask for

I am so pleased with Patriot. I am very happy that I moved my practice from SAGE to Patriot and I try to tell anyone who will listen that Patriot is a superb product

Pros

The software is very user friendly. but in the even that there is an issue, I have reached out to customer support and received EXCELLENT support anytime it is needed

Cons

There are a few quirks that you have to learn but nothing major. And the setup process can be a little stressful at times

Kicks Qickbooks aside for the value

It has been great , and the value and ease of access are phenomenal.

Pros

First of all, very affordable. Next, it is very easy to run payroll, the dates are already selected. I just put in the number of hours and download the pay stubs. The reports are very easy to use as well and come in extremely handy when paying taxes, especially at the end of the year!

Cons

I was going to say nothing until recently. A new employee started and she is working low hours however the software was not taking out a federal income tax for her. I realize that is a precaution against someone not being liable if they do not make enough, but it is a problem when the company owes monthly federal payments and the system does not accept a $0.00 when the obvious other taxes are being paid. I'm actually going to have to call customer service soon...

Hi Geoffrey. The software will calculate federal withholding based on the IRS tax tables for this year using payrate, pay frequency and status. If the employee owes no federal taxes due to low income on a payroll, the software will report the taxable wages AND the amount of taxes that were collected and deposited. In this case the taxes would be reported as zero. Please do reach out to our helpful support team with any questions!

Saves so much time and has proved critical in 2020.

The software itself has worked flawlessly from my perspective. It's been nice saving a lot of time since we started using it at the start of 2020. The direct deposit feature is something we didn't have before, and that's been really nice.

Pros

We love being able to use direct deposit for our employees. Saves me time writing checks, and employees like it better. In 2020, it was so helpful having things automated for purposes of PPP loan forgiveness. It probably saved me 5-10 hours of work that would have had to be done otherwise. Also, the ease of generating W2s for 2020 was a great help. I no longer need to spend money on W2 forms and software every January. It is well worth the monthly fees, in my opinion.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. I guess the only con would be having to pay for it monthly, but it is well worth the fees, and really I feel like it's a good value. I guess the only thing I would like to see is an easy way to show how many employees we had at any given pay period (for filing the 940 forms quarterly). I haven't seen how to do that in the reports section, so I just have to manually check the books and see how many checks I wrote for employees on any given pay period.

Outstanding Product

Customer service can sometimes seem limited and that is knowledgeable as you would like. But overall customer service just stand out for the willingness to try to meet the demand.

Pros

The software is exceptional in value As integration of employees and tax documents. Patriot software it’s a user-friendly and intuitive product that is easily and asset for any company organization.

Cons

Customer service can sometimes seem limited and that is knowledgeable as you would like. But overall customer service does stand out for the willingness to try to meet the demand

Easy to use and accurate

Pros

Payroll is easy. It takes just a few minutes and there are no hassles.

Cons

If you start a payroll, you can't go back and edit employee information without cancelling the payroll and starting over. Also, if you have some employees on direct deposit and others on paper checks, you have to set the pay date based on the constraints of direct deposit. You can't submit the direct deposit for Friday payment, and allow paper check employees to pick-up their checks as soon as they are printed. The checks will be post-dated.

Best Payroll Software Out There!

Pros

I have used several different payroll systems and Patriot is my favorite. It is easy to use and has a great price! All the reporting and paychecks are automatic, which makes it super easy for me, who is not an accounting expert. Our bookkeeper is a Patriot Partner and is fabulous with helping if we have any questions. As a non-profit, having less money go to payroll allows us to have more money to help our students.

Cons

Being super picky, the dashboard doesn't come up when you open the software. Also, in the employer portal, when processing payroll, I always have to change the date of the payroll in order to run payroll. Just an extra step.

Love Patriot

Overall, we are very pleased with Patriot Payroll. We moved from Quickbooks Payroll in 2018 and for the most part, it is great. Every now and then, we have something that comes up that is out of the ordinary, BUT Patriot is always able to work it out for us, other than the coding of taxes to more than one week. The reports are very self explanatory and very useful.

Pros

We like the ease of use of Patriot. We are a very small office, with only 9 employees and our payroll is basically the same every week, with the exception of hours changing, We have 2 salary employees and everyone else is hourly.

Cons

We wish there a way to code a specific payroll for a person that is a large item, like a commission so that the software would tax it for more than one week. The commission may be for more than one week, so it would be great it there was a way to specify to tax it for say 4 weeks. When I used ADP at a previous employer, they had that option and it was great.

Great software for new small businesses

It's been a good overall experience. I have been using the product since Jan 2018.

Pros

The software is easy to use. Customer service has always been responsive. It is less expensive than QuickBooks but has similar features. New features are frequently added throughout the year, and this includes adapting to new laws for Covid-19.

Cons

I cannot yet delegate the timecard approval to a manager without that manager seeing everyone's payroll including the owner.

Love Patriot - Glad I heard all the ads on the radio

positive, straightforward. Only needed to contact support 2x in the last year and their FAQs are to the point and easy to deal with.

Pros

easy, straightforward, simple to use, none of the things I don't want/need as a small business owner

Cons

I moved to Patriot because of all the things I disliked about GUSTO. I don't have any complaints about Patriot after a year of use.

The Perfect Payroll Solution for Us

This is a product that I cannot say enough about. and In the very few cases where I have needed assistance they have product support like I've never seen before. Patient, smart humans will take all the time I need to help me with any issue, without exception.

Pros

It is super easy to use from setting it up. Once set up it is quick complete and a truly perfect solution for a smaller business.

Cons

Not really a con, but sometimes I have to look around to find what I need, but it's all there and easy to use even for a non accountant.