QuickBooks Online Logo

DA

David A.

Wireless, 11-50 employees

Efficient Accounting Software

Highly recommend. Great product that keeps getting better.

Pros

Really easy to use, automates a number of functions, and provides a comprehensive accounting package for our small business.

Cons

My background is accounting and sometimes I get the impression that Quickbooks has tried to dumb the software down too much, which makes it harder for me to deal with anything outside the box. Calling in to support can also be really challenging.

KL

Kristen L.

Photography, 1-10 employees

Don't Use Quickbooks Checking

While Quickbooks is a solid booking-keeping service, I'm finding quite a few not-so-great points. 1. They are constantly trying to sell to you. Even when you already have a paid subscription. All you see are Ads and get promotional emails. 2. For those of you considering using Quick Book Checking- Don't do it. It just leads to more frustration than the 1% interest is worth. (Linking an external trusted...

Pros

Quickbooks is a solid bookkeeping service- I'm finding quite a few not-so-great points. Please see my "Describe your overall experience" comment.

Cons

The Customer service is seriously lacking. And Quickbooks Checking is terrible.

MP

Michael P.

Music, 1-10 employees

The Best Accounting Software For Small Businesses!

Overall I love Quickbooks Online and recommend it to all small business owners that I know! It's been a huge help for my business in getting our accounting organized, without having to hire a book keeper. Invoicing has never been easier, as it keeping track of income and expenses. It's perfect at tax time and helps keep us on track to get as many deductions as possible. It's simply the best of it's class...

Pros

The interface of Quickbooks Online couldn't be better. It easily links to your bank accounts and starts to understand your accounting categories right away. It's super customizable and the features are in depth and thorough. I love how intuitive (no pun intended) the software is overall. It's also great that it's online so you can login from anywhere, including on an app, to track everything.

Cons

The only real limitation I can think of with the software, is sometimes weird errors can happen with your balance sheet / income statements. Everything really needs to be exactly dialed in , otherwise errors can happen and throw things off. While this is probably due to human error, for someone like me who is not an accounting expert, this can be frustrating to figure out where things went wrong...

LC

Liza C.

Renewables & Environment, 201-500 employees

Everything about our financial transactions in one place

With Quickbooks, we have increased our confidence in our ability to organize and control our finances without missing out on any payments. It helped us organize expenses and keep receipts in an organized manner, and Quickbooks with its layers of protection increases our sense of security, and ensures that all that data is protected from tampering and hacking.

Pros

I love the fact that I can synchronize all my accounts in one place with Quickbooks, in addition to my credit cards, and also have an integrated database of all the transactions and transfers made through them. Because it is based on the cloud, this gives us greater flexibility in terms of increasing the ability to control financial data and organize the archiving of its records and invoices, and this...

Cons

I'm sure all the trouble is because Quickbooks deals with financial data and that requires an increased level of verification, but overall Quickbooks is easy to use, affordable and covers most of our needs efficiently.

NW

Nikki W.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Get your Finances in Order Quickly!

Quickbooks Online has been a wonderful software to take my small business accounting to the next level! There is a bit of a learning curve to set up the customizable software and maximize it's use for your business. Once it's set, accounting is easy and quick. Running reports takes 5 seconds and you have all your accounting information at your fingertips with the mobile app!

Pros

Ability to access from anywhere! On my computer, on my phone, in the car, wherever I need it! Quick mobile receipt upload from your phone or computer! This allows me to quickly scan gas receipts or upload online purchase receipts to Quickbooks Online. Gone are the days of saying "what was that purchase for?" Not only can you upload receipts but they automatically tie to the bank account import. Easy to create reports! Ability to compare month to month or year to year. Can break down by categories or tags. Tax time made easy! My accountant had all the information they needed. I can link accountants to my Quickbooks Online so they can assist with quarterly payments, general questions via email/online or bookkeeping.

Cons

Quickbooks Online has a little bit of a learning curve. Since I had no prior experience with a formal accounting system, I signed up to add one of their pros to walk me through set up upon purchase. They helped get the bank account integrated and get everything moving the right direction. Due to the learning curve, there are plenty of resources online or within business organizations that can walk you through the ins and outs. Quickbooks Online is very customizable, but getting those custom items set up can feel overwhelming.

Krishna L.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

I like how easily reports can be customized

The system is simple to learn and utilize. Helps me prepare for tax season all year long so that I don't have to worry about anything. An emphasis is placed on UI and user experience. It's clear to see that they've done so. Because we don't utilize all of the tools, there might be a lot of clutter in our workspaces.

Pros

In order to handle my clients' businesses, I use Quickbooks Online, a powerful accounting program. In addition to project accounting, we can handle receivables and payables, set up rules for posting to cut down on time for posting (which equals cheaper accounting costs!), and quickly produce useful reports with this software.

Cons

I'd want to be able to create bespoke purchase orders with additional signatures, but I'm not able to do so at the moment. The ability to perform genuine bank reconciliations from within the program would be an added bonus. The process of comparing receipts to invoices is likewise time-consuming.

SW

Sarah W.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Essential Do-It-All Software

I honestly couldn’t be happier. Never thought I could come to enjoy keeping the books, but with QBO, I do. And the more I learn, the more I like. We’re all volunteers, with no professional accounting skills, at the non-profit I help administer. So QBO is a very cost-effective, efficient way for us to generate everything we need, while allowing for growth. I haven’t even begun to use the software to its full potential. Very satisfied here!

Pros

We use QBO to run our small, all volunteer non-profit. So the things that matter the most to me are the ease of use with little to no training, being able to sync bank feeds to speed up the process, generating easy to read and understand reports, online access so we can keep the books anytime, from anywhere…the list is endless. I’ve also been thrilled with the extensive help library, the how-to videos, and the awesome customer support. I have no accounting or bookkeeping training and yet, thanks to QBO, I’m able to do everything we need to have accurate P & L reports, Balance Sheets and file our 990, as well as see which programs are costing and generating the most. I’m really grateful QBO exists.

Cons

My main issue so far has been the trouble linking little known online savings account to our bank feed. And that the platform is a bit glitchy when I access on my tablet. But Customer Support has told me they’re working on both those issues, so not a big deal.

MA

Matt A.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees

Horrible Customer Service will not correct Emergency Problems 24/7 or Timely

HORRIBLE !!!! Account has been locked for 3 days rendering it useless. I use it for invoicing and payroll. Payroll was input on Thursday and approved. Not only did it not process Friday but my whole company is on lockdown due to Fraud Prevention.??????? I have made 3 calls to customer service to no avail. Cannot do any bookkeeping or payroll for my business and now there is no customer service...

Pros

Billing is easy and payroll was easy to setup. Only lately has it been proven to be a problem

Cons

Account has been locked for 3 days rendering it useless. I use it for invoicing and payroll. Payroll was input on Thursday and approved. Not only did it not process Friday but my whole company is on lockdown due to Fraud Prevention.??????? I have made 3 calls to customer service to no avail. Cannot do any bookkeeping or payroll for my business and now there is no customer service for an emergency...

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience with the payroll and your interaction with support. We know how vital it is to have payroll up and running. If you haven't heard back from an agent on your case please don't hesitate to reach out to the Payroll Team directly. (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/payroll-processes/contact-payroll-support/L08Yi5p07_US_en_US) Wishing you the best. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

SP

Sheri P.

Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees

Frustrating giant company who wants your money but not to talk to you.

I have my books on Quickbooks and that's about the only thing they've solved. Anything the least bit sophisticated, forget about it. And I've likely wasted more time dealing with the problems and issues they created than if I would have done everything by hand.

Pros

This software is fairly inexpensive, ubiquitous throughout the business community, so you would think it would be great! The automated stuff is good when it works, and the system is complex but it's fairly easy to learn the basics and add on knowledge as you go forward.

Cons

There remain a lot of bugs in their system and processes they never seem to get right. They change the software all the time, so each time you go looking for something, it's been moved. The WORST part of this software and this company is their inability to actually provide proper support. I had a situation where a rep really messed up my account and it has become an enormous time suck and issue trying...

We'd like to ensure that you get the support you need to answer any questions or concerns you may have with QuickBooks. You can reach our support team via phone or chatting with them directly by following the steps listed here(https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/account-management/quickbooks-online-support/L6WqNrDq0_US_en_US). We hope this helps. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

JY

Jewel Y.

Machinery, 1-10 employees

Very user friendly and has everything in one place

My overall experience has been a great experience. I have been using it for years.

Pros

Quickbooks Online is very easy to use and has everything you need in one place. It keeps the flow of the business finances running smoothly. The invoicing, tracking of assets and expenses, providing reports, etc are all extremely easy to use and find and connect in a very simple way.

Cons

There is nothing at this time that I like least about this software. It is much better than most bookkeeping programs I have used.

DF

Dathan F.

Construction, 1-10 employees

Honest Customer

Pros

I enjoyed that many of the features were easy to use such as, estimating, invoicing and bookkeeping. I also enjoy the easy use of receiving all of the reports that I would need at the end of the year. I did recommend this platform, many times in the past! My current bookkeepers even paid for courses to further their education to properly utilize quickbooks, and that is why it saddens me that I have to cancel my subscription and find a new platform!

Cons

I thought accepting payments online was a great idea, but one day a customer that did not want to pay their balance, and needed extra money had one of her credit card payments returned ($2000), so I disputed. I have been in this business for over 10 years so I always have proof! I submitted over 60 pages of proof including pictures, invoices, receipt numbers with the merchant of where i received the materials from, and quickbooks still allowed them to make the return. Which told me that any payment I ever accept by credit card, quickbooks will allow a customer to return regardless how much proof the client has. Again not saying its a bad company, but my money is important and any platform that doesnt protect that, does not protect me!!! Due to this me and my bookkeepers will be switching

This definitely isn't the kind of impression we want you having, Dathan. We want to ensure any and all problems regarding your funds are addressed. The best team to assist with this is our Merchant Services Team. Here's the link to contact them: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/help-article/mobile-apps/contact-payments-point-sale-support/L7zQuXpgk_US_en_US Wishing you well. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

AB

Angela B.

Retail, self-employed

On the expensive side for small entrepreneurs

Overall, Quickbooks Online had the items I needed, but their recent software and price changes have pushed me into a version that lacks what I need and leaves me with unnecessary, bloated accessories. There aren't many options out there that sync as well with online shops. QBO should consider allowing a small inventory and budgeting option for the less expensive versions and listen to their customer's concerns more.

Pros

I appreciate the easy connectivity with apps so I can connect my e-commerce shop. The layout makes the difficult task of financial management not seem so overwhelming. Reconciling with my banks is convenient and matches my transactions well. I also depended on it to aid me in tracking sales tax.

Cons

The software's selection of options with each plan is ridiculous. I started with the Plus version to keep track of a small amount of inventory, although most of the products I sell are POD. I also appreciated the budgeting aspect. They started adding extras such as mile-tracking, and now they sync with Mailchimp, but I already have a cheaper mile-tracking app for my business and sync with Mailchimp...

CS

Cheryl S.

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

QuickBooks Online: Making Tax Tracking Easier for Sole Proprietors

Overall I have been happy with Quickbooks Online. Quite simply, it does what I need it to do. Track sales and expenses in a way I can easily pull data by varying parameters as needed.

Pros

I like that Quickbooks has an expense tracker that is easy to use and has the categories cleanly divided up based on tax filing needs. The app component of this is my favorite as I can photo a receipt and input it on the go (although I mostly do stuff online). The ability to track service based sales is also pretty straightforward and easy to use. Those are the main features I bought this for and they do the job.

Cons

Quickbooks online (I have the Simple Start version) is crazy expensive for someone running a sole proprietor part time business. And it just went up in cost recently. The expense is because it has to be paid for monthly (or a small discount if paying yearly all at once). I really dislike the fact that most software programs have gone this route. I am not a large or even full time business that can...

Accounting, self-employed

Great accounting software for small & large businesses

I use QBO for my own tax practice bookkeeping as well as for my clients. I use it daily to keep up with my firm and my clients. We all use the bank feed to facilitate automatic entry of as much data as possible.

Pros

QBO allows users to easily enter their financial transactions. It even has the capability to enter most transactions for the user from the bank feed. You can let QBO import your bank activity and use rules that you set up to code the transactions appropriately. It makes reconciling your bank statement a complete breeze!

Cons

There are some issues with payroll that can only be corrected by calling in to Customer Support. I find this annoying when I personally know and understand how the correction needs to be made. I do, however, understand that not everyone understands the ramifications of making corrections. ...

Terry R.

Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

Accounting at your fingertips anywere

My experience with Quickbooks online has been mostly positive. I find the best thing is that I can just pull up the software on the web, or in the app on my phone and take care of business while I am out on the road doing service calls.

Pros

I like that I can access my information while I am out on the road. It's also a bonus that it integrates with my ticking software so that I can just export the information from that and it syncs right into Quickbooks online. I also depend on the ability to input and scan expense receipts so that I don't have to do it when I get home.

Cons

The price is a little hard to swallow when coming from the desktop version of Quickbooks for so many years. Also there are some features that is in the Desktop version that hasn't been implemented yet.

Hey there, Terry! We deeply appreciate you taking the time to write your review, and we're so glad to hear that transitioning to QuickBooks Online has helped simplify your daily work-flow! If you need anything or have questions in the future, feel free to get in touch through the Help (?) icon in-account. You can also reach out through our QB Community: (quickbooks.intuit.com/community) Or on our Social Media pages for support as well! All the best! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Upgraded from Tally to QBO for simple and ease of use software

My overall experience with QuickBooks online has been amazing. I have used to desktop version before and found the online version more easy and simple to use. It has served my purpose in a great way over these years. The readily available reports helps my decision making for business. As compared to other options I found QuickBooks Online to be cheaper. We are trying to incorporate a construction company in quickbooks now. We hope it serves our purpose for this company as well now.

Pros

It is very simple to use overall. I like that i can check and work from any computer or cell phone as well. I love direct access to the numbers, easily available reports. It is great for auto billing direct from the software itself. The best part is integration with the bank account. I do not have to manually review expenses and add it.

Cons

The QBO is slow to load pages and that can be irritating at times. I initially thought that it was my internet connection but no that is not the case. While you are allowed to do a journal entry with a supplier name you cannot enter a negative invoice. There can be a greater variety in invoice format selection. A tad bit expensive.

CM

Chris M.

Financial Services, 1-10 employees

Upgraded from Quickbooks Desktop to Save Time Every Month

It's been very simple to use overall. I enjoy being able to work on or books from any computer or even a cell phone. Previously I could only access our bookkeeping records by physically going into our office.

Pros

The best part of Quickbooks Online is its integration with our business bank account. Prior to QB Online we used QB desktop. We would have to manually review expenses and bank accounts to make sure everything was entered into Quickbooks correctly and would constantly come across discrepancies due to data entry errors. Now that we use Quickbooks online, we have it integrated with our business account and simply identify what category each expense belongs to. It's also easy to set a "rule" for certain expenses (for example recurring monthly charges) to automatically categorize these every month. This has saved us many hours of data entry every month which is very valuable for a small business.

Cons

It takes a little time to get used to some of the changes from Quickbooks Desktop to Quickbooks online. For instance, I have a hard time figuring out where to make manual journal entries and have to use Google to figure it out. Also, the price can be significantly higher than the desktop version depending on how you use it. Currently a desktop version for my needs without a subscription can be bought for $399. In the past I have been able to use a desktop version for several years. For example, when I switched from Desktop to QB online in early 2021, I was still succesfully using a 2018 vesrion of QB Desktop. Currently I am paying $300 every year for the online version.

ST

Steve T.

Retail, 1-10 employees

Leaving After 15 Years Of Use

I have been using Quickbooks for 15 years and honestly it was all great up until about a year ago. And the only reason I kept using Quickbooks was because I didn't feel like transferring all my data to another platform and the mobile app. However, now the mobile app doesn't even work so I never use it, I am having to talk to a representative every other time I use Quickbooks because something else...

Pros

I love that I can manage my books, invoices, payments, etc. from any device. I loved that in theory everything was connected and easy to use (more on this in the cons), I love the wide support and the massive community that uses Quickbooks so it was possible to find help on issues I had (not easy, but possible). Plus, I had been using them for so long it was all familiar.

Cons

- The customer service is terrible (I've had 1 good rep out of the 10-20 I've had to talk to) - The app hardly works at all for me anymore, its always crashing, glitching, freezing, etc. - The connections barely work and need fixing all the time - The website is incredibly slow and also has a lot of bugs - By far the worst for me has been the Quickbooks Cash and merchant services. Fees have been going up, Quickbooks cash has been VERY slow and buggy, transfers have taken a week or more to process, customer service with that is TERRIBLE, just overall a very bad experience. - Now monthly fees are going up yet again - I've been getting charged more and more fees for moving money or even just trying to refund someone

BD

Breanna D.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Best for those not trained in accounting

QBO is great because it allows our clients access to their books any time, anywhere. We are finding this is increasingly important to our clients. It also allows clients to do their own invoicing and receive payments themselves in the same system we are using for their bookkeeping. This product really is the future of bookkeeping.

Pros

Far and away the best feature of this software is that it's cloud based. So many clients want to be able to see their books from anywhere, at any time, on any device. If you are using this for a small business and are not trained in bookkeeping/accounting, this is the easiest bookkeeping software on the market.

Cons

If you are a trained bookkeeper/accountant you will likely be disappointed that it's not as flexible as Sage 50. They payroll module is terrible unless you have simple payroll with no deductions or special pay circumstances. While you can do a journal entry with a supplier name, you can't enter a negative invoice. They've updated with a credit card credit that allows you to enter a negative credit card transaction but it's limited to credit card transactions only.

NA

Navine A.

Cosmetics, self-employed

Excellent Software if you have help

I had a live hate relationship with quickbooks because while it was easy to use it can get messy quite quickly due incorrect categorization. That changed when I hired a bookkeeper to look over my books on a monthly basis.

Pros

Love quickbooks online well because it is online which means I can do my business from anywhere and anytime. Relatively easy to set up and has video tutorials. Love that you can set up lots of subcategories which makes comparing information from different categories easy and more meaningful. Love the new tags feature!!! I wholesale so I can see which wholesale reps are performing the best. Makes bookkeeping and tax paying easy if everything is setup correctly and accounts are reconciled correctly. Love the various reports you can pull from it. Profit and loss monthly, quarterly, annually. Love how easy it is to create invoices and the option to get paid within quickbooks!! No more sending an invoice and then asking for a separate PayPal or square payment.

Cons

Categorizing some income & expenses can be tricky at times which can mess the books up and make you want to tear your hair out. May Need a quickbooks bookkeeper to keep your books clean or will most likely mess it up.

LW

Lisa W.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

In House Payroll

Need more options for including and excluding info for customizing reports for your personal purposes. Have made improvements to some, but more are needed. In house payroll is just a joke when it comes to having to edit, correcting or deleting a transaction. Just what I want to do.......get on the phone and have to wait for someone to que my call and explain and wait for them to correct. And they have to understand it before they make the correction, deletion, or edit. This lowers the value greatly the positive features of the software.

Pros

Access anywhere from any device. Payables is also a plus. They have improved on the reports greatly during the past couple of months.

Cons

I wouldn't recommend maintaining your own payroll records with this QuickBooks Online. They will not allow you to correct your own records, you must call in EVERYTIME you have a mistake and need to correct information. It is a waste of time having to go through the issue with someone on the phone and have them correct it. It is your info but they force you to call in to delete a payroll check, correct...

MS

Michelle S.

Design, 1-10 employees

Easy To Use Accounting Software For Small Business Owners

My overall experience with Quickbooks Online has been positive. While there are some things that can be improved, it has served its purpose for me for the past few years. The price is fairly comparable to other online software. The only other one I have had experience with is Freshbooks but I switched to Quickbooks Online because of a promotion that gave me a much cheaper option.

Pros

QuickBooks Online is a great accounting software for busy entrepreneurs who are looking for a centralized way to keep all their billing/invoicing/expense tracking/payment processing in one place. I find it quite easy to use. It allows me to forego the expense of a physical accountant and grants me the convenience of creating and sending invoices online, accepting payment, managing invoice history and tracking expenses. Instead of having to purchase software and being relegated to one laptop, you can access this software anywhere. In addition, if you have contractors/employees, depending on your plan, you can process your payroll directly from the software which is an added bonus.

Cons

I like most of the features associated with Quickbooks Online, however, as a designer myself I think there could be a greater variety in the invoice template selection. It is very easy to brand their current templates, but as someone who values brand aesthetic highly, I would love to be able to cater the visual of the invoice to be more aligned with my brand aesthetic.

TC

Tammy C.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Quickbooks online

For the most part I really like the software, there are just a few things that aren't as handy as the old desktop version. They periodically do different feature updates that for my portion of the accounting don't really enhance my job or make it easier.

Pros

I love the fact that I don't have to do manual backups! I love that it is accessible from any computer. It is a huge help that I am able to scan and attach invoices, comes in very handy when I need to double check payments made.

Cons

From an accounting standpoint the fact that the program doesn't recognize if an invoice was previously entered by the invoice number is something I really miss from the old desktop form of the software. On this software you could enter the same invoice number in 10 times and it would never "see" that the invoice was previously entered. This causes a lot of back and forth between the vendor account and bills window which takes extra time. The only other comment I have is concerning the reports section. I am not a trained accountant and on the old desktop version it was far easier to generate reports.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Quickbooks Online- The Easy Accounting Software

It is great accounting software for a small business. We are able to manage expenses, send invoices, run payroll, keep track of inventory and generally organize our books. Access to accounting information from anywhere anytime is a plus. It is fairly affordable and has a 30-day free trial.

Pros

The linking of the bank accounts makes reconciliation easy at the end of the month. The banking interface allows for the classifying of transactions which makes work easy for recurring transactions. The software integrated well with our existing business management software. Customers are able to make payments online easily. The ability to access the accounting information from anywhere comes in handy especially in these times when organizations are moving to remote working due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Cons

The frequent upgrades sometimes make it difficult to find features that you have used previously. Customer support can do better in promptly assisting customers when an issue arises. If an error occurs in the original entry, correcting it is usually a lengthy process. You may have to contact customer support to do it from the back end.

Edward B.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Really...what choice do you have? Nobody ever got fired for going with IBM...or QuickBooks...

We primarily use QuickBooksOnline to generate and track invoices, as well as "keep the books" (General Ledger). It does these things well, but the learning curve is steep and I often find myself wondering why it does not have an obvious feature (like - why can't I get a subtotal within an invoice? Why can't I sort items within the invoice before making it final?). Beyond that, I have found the service...

Pros

It does what it does well, and it is the standard, so you don't have to worry about acceptance or compatibility issues with your clients or with your financial institutions, nor with your accountant and / or bookkeeper.

Cons

Just because it is the standard doesn't make it the "Gold Standard"; it does the basic things you need it to do, but I often find myself wondering why some obvious functionality is missing, despite the fact that the learning curve is steep. And...they have a sneaky way of repeatedly raising the subscription fees once they have you committed to their product.