All categories

Small business accounting software

Quickbooks Online Reviews - Page 6

4,331 reviews

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

Perfect for what you pay for

Overall positive experience, would recommend. As discussed above, it does everything you need it to do - just a little clunky at times.

Pros

Easy to use, nice UI, connects with everything you need it to - and is flexible enough to expand with you as your business grows to add'l regions, add'l lines of service, etc.

Cons

It's clunky - sometimes the app just doesn't work and you have to use the web browser version, which is fairly slow. Sometimes other features simply just don't work. However, with that said, I would say that the inexpensive nature of QBO makes it the far superior product in the market.

The free ACH Payments are what made me make the move from QBSE to QBO

Love the automatic expense tracking, recurring invoices and free ACH payments. I've used multiple accounting softwares and QBO does an excellent job all around.

Pros

I started out using QBSE when I first started out as a part-time freelancer while still working as a W-2 employee. QBSE was great in the beginning for all the purposes I needed, business expenses, profit and loss, balance statement, mileage tracking, estimated quarterly taxes, etc. However, as my business grew, specifically with regard to managing my retainer clients, my priorities shifted to save...

Cons

I really liked some of the features offered in QBSE that support individuals like myself who are a single-member LLC, such as maximizing tax deductions with Schedule C categorization, calculating estimated quarterly taxes, and mileage tracking. I wish there was an upgraded version of QBSE that offered recurring expenses and ACH payments, as that is what I really needed at this stage of my business.

Complete Package

QuickBooks online has solved our bookkeeping. We are able to run a small company completely ourselves with QuickBooks online. Everything is pretty accurate and I save the monthly expense of an accountant.

Pros

QuickBooks online is pretty easy to use and does everything I need for my small business. The invoice system is our most used area of QuickBooks online. I can track every time a customer opens the invoice and views it. This is a big plus in my industry. It keeps us in the loop of payments and invoicing.

Cons

What I like least about QuickBooks online is that I have to pay extra for each little feature. I would like to pay myself a weekly paycheck, but to do this through QuickBooks is an entire new subscription which is not cheap. It's cheaper for me to run my payroll manually through my own system. The other down fall is to actually use many of the features you will need an accountant to teach you, if you are not schooled in accounting software. Once I hired an accountant to get me setup properly my books were much cleaner and the software became much more valuable to me.

Good Balance of Ease and Flexibility for Non-advanced Users

- Simple accounting for business owners who want to avoid hiring dedicating expensive accountants to manage their daily finances - Very easy to set up payroll - Simple and quick e-file for taxes

Pros

- As a single-member S-Corp consulting business, QuickBooks Online was more than enough for me to manage my own finances and payroll. It's extremely friendly for non-accountants. - At the end of the year, you will easily find many certified QuickBook accountants who can do your business taxes by simply inviting them to your account - Large community with many Q&A available in their public forums....

Cons

- I was unhappy that they somewhat made it a hassle to reach support by making it available via phone only. With busy schedule, I appreciate writing my inquiries via email and forget about them to focus on my other tasks. QuickBooks Online forces you to call support by phone for inquiries - I believe their pricing needs to be updated with rise of competition, especially for payroll features.

QB online

5 plus years and going strong. Work in it everyday and it's fairly intuitive once you have spent some time with it.

Pros

A lot of clients use it, so it is nice to be able to have the similarity and the accountant login allows you to see all your clients without needing multiple log ins.

Cons

Wish it was more consistent with the desktop version. Both have their good and not so good features. Be nice if they could pull the best of both into a single platform.

Takes The Hard Work Out Of Accounting

Using QuickBooks allows me to fulfill the financial needs of our company independently.

Pros

QuickBooks offers several plans based on your financial needs and I consider it an ideal accounting software for small businesses but it also has the capacity to cover the needs for mid-sized businesses too. The interface seems user-friendly enough as I can view my expenses, invoices, sales, etc. all on my dashboard and everything else can be accessed from the sidebar or just clicking "see all activity"...

Cons

Despite the detailed dashboard, there was a learning curve as some features were hard to access because they were tucked away in the settings.

BNI QBO Online Review

We find QBO to be a very good ERP for our organization. We run a $17M dollar organization and our financial ERP costs less than $2K

Pros

It is encompasses everything we need to be able to financially manage the organization. The ability to drill down in to all levels of transactions from the report is very helpful

Cons

The inability to have Actual vs Budget for multiple classes on 1 report is a hinderance as it requires us to manually make this report happen. Manually keying into reports increases the risk for error.

Extremely Effective Product

I started with the basic free issue and soon upgraded to the online version so invoices are done right in the field and it merges with my software so I can check and balance at night

Pros

Ease of using Ease of creating expenses and Invoices to customers Ease of drafting items in every category The simplicity of the product in every way

Cons

Some items you have to use the help to assist you, but overall I don't have any Cons. Have used for years and it gets better and easier to use.

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience, George. We're happy to hear that you're able to easily keep track of income and expenses within the product. Feel free to visit the Community anytime you find that you're needing help. It's a great resource and allows you to interact with other members of the QuickBooks family. (https://community.intuit.com/) Wishing you well during this time of uncertainty! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

Great for Small Business

As a non-accountant with no formal education in book keeping or payroll or anything related to that, quickbooks is easy to learn and manage. A general knowledge of terms and how things works is helpful, but it is really simple - especially with payroll and e-payment for taxes. So much simpler than keeping track of when everything is due manually.

Pros

Payroll. It is so simple. I have around 60 employees and entering their times and pressing "submit" is the easiest part of the payroll process. Especially with direct deposit. It's actually enjoyable! I would suggest an email feature when payroll is processed (the way Quickbooks Desktop does) - its nice to add comments to employees paystubs that way.

Cons

When I am processing my quarterly taxes, there is not 1 report that gets me all the employee information I need for our local taxes. I end up printing 2-3 different reports and have to reference all of them for each employee. The reports don't export very well to excel so it would be difficult to combine things that way too. They way it does is hard to find and sort information - should be in a chart layout instead.

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

Much improved and the way of the future

I used to hate this but now we have nearly all of our clients on it. And I have come to like it, though it is different than QuickBooks Desktop.

Pros

Since QBO is cloud based and comes in 3 "flavors", it is a good solution for small businesses and allows for collaboration between the business and the accountant. It (if set up properly) flows the business data in the online tax solution for easy of tax prep. I like the QB Online Accountant features such as "Work" for communication with the client and other team members, though "Work" is not a complete practice management tool. They are continuously improving the product (no new software to buy and versions are not sunsetted), and there is lots of training available online and through webinars. There is security and there are lots of connected apps to meet needs of various businesses and industries.

Cons

If your internet is poor or you don't keep your browser clean you might not be able to work efficiently. There is no discount for annual payment so you are stuck with the monthly subscription for the level you choose. Since they update it frequently it can be a little disorienting when things change. Updates are not rolled out to everyone at the same time.

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

Easy to use across platforms

For a standard, fairly straightforward business like mine, QB is an easy answer to which accounting software I chose to use.

Pros

QuickBooks is the industry standard, and it's easy to use on a laptop or mobile device. Finding answers to your questions is pretty simple, either through their integrated help section or through online forums...enough people use it that the forums usually help you find an answer to your question, no matter how obscure. It easily connects to your external bank accounts, credit cards, and mobile payment services like PayPal, too. As a publisher, I use a CRM that integrates easily with QuickBooks. I handle invoicing and payments through my CRM, and with the click of a button, everything is sent to my QB account. Makes it very seamless and easy.

Cons

The transaction rates are a little higher than I would like, so I don't use QB for processing credit card payments. Other than that, for my needs as a small publisher, it fits the bill.

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

Good product but needs some improvements

It has a lot of great features that I am not yet taking advantage of. It seems to have the potential to take care of all of my financial needs

Pros

I like that it has the potential to do nearly everything I need for my business, except link to our calendar/schedule.

Cons

Searches should be easier. It seems inconsistent. Sometimes I can't find customers by their last names for some reason. It is often difficult to find information and it appears different across different platforms. It might make it easier for businesses to train employees if they could all see the same features on their screens. It would be wonderful if it had a scheduling/calendar option that could take appointments and translate them into invoices with just a few button clicks...or if it were compatible with other calendars.

well worth the price

he QuickBooks programming is truly reasonable with bunches of good out-of-box highlights. AR and AP capacities are not difficult to use for fledgling clients of the product. There are a great deal of templated reports that are useful for week by week and month to month bookkeeping assignments (Payroll, Vendor Payments, Sales, and so on) The product likewise permits you to add on an assortment of extra highlights through modules, which you can access for an ostensible month to month charge. For instance, the BIll.com mix is brilliant for paying your merchants internet, disposing of the requirement for mailing out checks every month

Pros

QuickBooks online gives me one spot to follow everything identified with cash for my independent company: pay, costs, charges, and finance. It's not difficult to set up and use, and I like realizing that in any event, when I'm not giving as much consideration to a portion of the accounting as I ought to, it's actually being followed for when I have the opportunity to get to it.

Cons

Ifind the product alittle expensive and I found the faqs sometimes unhelpful.But on the whole I consider this product still good value for money. and I'm very happy using it on a regulr basis.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Must have for your business!

Very positive. A friend had recommended it to me since I am an owner and artist and I have little time to keep everything updated. It is a huge timesaver for me.

Pros

I love that it helps me keep track of all my expenses and income and reminds me to stay up-to-date. I was able to do my taxes last year in record time! It has everything right there and I could just print a report and create my taxes.

Cons

Sometimes, the APP lags the updates on the computer. So if I update on the APP, it still shows up on the laptop version.

Long time use in Company

As the business grows this application is able to grow with us.

Pros

We're able to integrate QB with our CRM software and eliminate double entry.

Cons

Limit to 5 users with a professional account.

Please know that your feedback is greatly appreciated. Feel free to check out the attached link if you're interested in acquiring more users. (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/pricing/) The QuickBooks Online Advanced subscription allows 25 users, along with tons of other features that might have your interest. Wishing you continued success! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Likelihood to recommend1.00/10

They just made my life "simpler" (but more expensive) with elimination of free ACH.

SW is great, but I don't use it for anything new as they keep on raising prices somehow, and there are way cheaper options out there if you don't use all the bells and whistles.

Pros

Easy to use. Integrates well with banks. Great Reports. They have lots of bells and whistles if you want to use them.

Cons

They constantly are working on how to extract more money from you by charging more for existing functionality. Their latest exercise removes the no charge ACH with delayed funds availability and replaces it with next day available at 10% or $10 (whichever is less) per ACH transaction. This would have added roughly $100 to my monthly costs as I have multiple tenants each paying their part of the rent... I am hard at work on a replacement ACH payment processor. There are quite a few out there to choose from. It will still cost me more than it used to, but a 3rd party payment processor will cost less than what Intuit would have charged me. The downside is the transition of monthly invoices / payment options from QBO to a new payment processor.

QuickBooks Online Covers All The Bases

Overall, it is the best small business accounting package on the market. It is mostly bug-free and so it works every time, all the time A few more tweaks and it would be fantastic

Pros

Very well integrated Up time is fantastic and they always send out down alerts immediately Love the reports to Excel - works great Billing, recurring invoices and charts & graphs help illustrate the health of the business Automatic bank recs with bank feeds is a huge time saver

Cons

Do not like that basic accounts are NOT included in the base package - they charge extra for added accounts. They include accumulated depreciation, but not depreciation expense (it is extra) - and there are more basic accounts that have to be "added" The default period of reports is fixed and is normally the current month - they should make this a user's choice. For the charts they need to include sales AND receipts in order to get a correct total of sales - this is not a changeable item but a fixed item which does not represent the company's total revenue.

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

A good tool to manage your business - takes a bit of time to learn

The software is usable by most anyone however, if you do not have some level of an accounting background it is tricky to get everything setup correctly. It is best to have an accountant help at least with the initial setup. After that the daily entries can be done easily.

Pros

The software has many, many options and features. It does take time to learn how to use the software. The software does have hints and tries to lead you thru or teach you how to use it. The reporting is really nice and very detailed, you just need to be sure things are setup correctly at the beginning. I strongly recommend making backups as you are setting things up so you can quickly revert back to an earlier point if you need to undo something.

Cons

There are a lot of areas to the software so it does take a bit of time to learn and/or remember where to find everything. You can drill down into most of the areas, but it takes a bit to figure out how to find things. Also if you make a mistake it is tricky to get all areas of the system corrected.

I'll see to it you can make the changes you need and drill down into insights with ease. I'm glad the in-product tips have been a help, so please know there's a library's worth of additional guides created with you in mind. While accountants are excellent resources to have by your side, we strive to provide software that's accessible to users of all backgrounds. For this reason, the Community database is perfect in this aspect. You can explore it yourself at https://community.intuit.com/quickbooks-desktop. Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Easy to use product

My overall experience has been very positive, I love how easy it is to use and their payment system is fast and affordable.

Pros

Quickbooks is easy to use, and works well for our company. It handle all areas of accounting with easy to understand instructions and built in budgeting reports

Cons

The only downside would be with their payroll customer service. It took months to fix an issue with my payroll system, and they gave me no compensation for my troubles. The customer service with all other features is great and very friendly.

Hi there, Susan. I'm here to see to it you always get the customer service you deserve, no matter what department you're reaching out to. Moving forward, I encourage you to contact the product experts on Facebook (Intuit QuickBooks) and Twitter (QBCares). The friendly agents from the Social Media Team will stick by your side throughout the course of any issues you come up against, payroll or otherwise. They'll also gladly discuss compensation with you, so send them a message M-F from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. EST. I'm pleased QuickBooks has left you with a positive overall impression, by the way. Best wishes to you and Maids in America! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Good software, better for larger companies

While I was using QBO, I never stressed about accounting. I was confident that I was really capturing all expenses and that I had a good idea of bottom line numbers. It was easy to keep all of the money info in one place.

Pros

This software made it easy to capture expenses and give a good idea of cash flow. The integrations with banks and credit cards mean that you rarely have to worry about missing an expense. Auto-classification is extremely helpful, and overall cuts the amount of time managing your books down. Recent changes to price structures and features have been great, allowing you to tailor what you need.

Cons

The inventory system is clunky. It's clearly a software for accounting with inventory sort of tacked on. Cost of goods sold, when you're a small business maker, was hard to calculate. It really required an additional spreadsheet or two as well as other inventory tracking systems.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

This is THE standard! Easy and reliable.

Pros

Super easy and intuitive to use. The dashboard is great. It gives a nice overview of what's going on...income, expenses, aging invoices, etc. It's nice to get a snapshot of our accounts when I fist logon. I love the ability for our clients to pay directly from an emailed invoice...just click the pay now button and that's it. It helps speed up the payment process. I also really like the "send reminder" feature for invoices that are aging. Overall, this was a HUGE improvement to the desktop version of QB. And giving multiple team members access to the software has saved a TON of time, since they can help clients rather than having to forward to our payables person.

Cons

I don't like the way the auto credit card payment feature is set up. In QB desktop, you could create a recurring CC transaction, which would then be applied to the client's invoice. Not so with QB Online. The payment logs as a sales receipt, but there's not way to automatically apply it to that client's invoice.

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

Not bad but other companies are catching up

I would recommend getting this set up with your tax accountant from the start. As a start up, we didnt know this so we had to correct a lot of codes and how we organized our system. It wasnt impossible to fix but it would have been better if we had known what we know now at the beginning.

Pros

We started using this program years ago and it was fine when we were a startup company. As we started to grow, we were able to bring in tax accountants to work with us without interruption to our operations.

Cons

There's a big learning curve for new users. We were confused about whether to use the desktop or cloud version but luckily our accountants were able to clarify and fix our setup.

Hi, Diana. We love knowing QuickBooks has been a helpful resource for quite some time and that we've been there throughout your company's growth! You can count on us to assist with all of your bookkeeping needs for years to come. To stay ahead of the learning curve, we recommend checking out our video tutorials for tips on how to set up your account: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/ Thank you for a great review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Likelihood to recommend6.00/10

Room for Improvement

QBO is a fundamental program for our business, we rely on it daily. For this reason, I high expectations for its performance and ease of use. Its recently updated interface is nicer with a more graphic dashboard. 2 years ago I wanted to throw it out the window as it was actually creating false information on our statements and creating deposits that never happened. These issues seem to have calmed...

Pros

Accessible anywhere and nice new dashboard.

Cons

Customer Service can be slow sometimes overloaded. Found out somehow enrolled for payroll option but have never signed up for payroll nor do I have employees. They did cancel and offer me credit for the overcharge. Seems they are growing into themselves with a lot of small issues that amount to big problems sometimes.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

A godsend for our small company

This makes such a difference for us in keeping our books reconciled and clean.

Pros

I love how easily you can review your banking and assign categories to all of the expenses and income. I also appreciate the ability to create rules so that any recurring purchases can be checked with the touch of a button.

Cons

It was a bit overwhelming at first - but I had an accountant who helped me to set things up. The help/FAQs/forum section of the website is very helpful in explaining things when I need it.

Empowering you with the tools you need to get the job done is our top priority, Erin. We love knowing you've been able to easily keep track of accounts and transactions in QuickBooks! You can rely on us to help manage your books for years to come. For more info on features and functions in your account, we recommend taking a look at our video tutorials: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/tutorials/ We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Quickbooks has almost everything you need

Pros

I think quickbooks has a wide variety of options. I have mostly used the quickbooks online which seems like it is a great. It does most of the things that most users need to do, which seems like its intent. If a user needs to do something complicated it seems like the desktop version will almost always be able to do it.

Cons

Expenses seem to still be a little bit of an issue. I had to go get some 3rd party software to handle this but I ended up using Expensify. On the plus side I see this now ties into QBO.

Thank you for sharing your review of QuickBooks with us! I'm glad to hear the program is delivering an accounting platform that is mostly meeting your business needs. QuickBooks Online and Desktop are very similar, however, the Desktop version has many additional options for detailed recording, while Online is more streamlined and simplified. As for your comments about expenses, I invite you to email me directly (QBCares@Intuit.com) with information so that I can forward it to our developer team for future consideration. Thank you for sharing your review about QuickBooks. Clay, The QuickBooks Team