All categories

Small business accounting software

Quickbooks Online Reviews - Page 7

4,331 reviews

Quickbooks Online

Pros

Quickbooks online is quite self intuitive. If you need help, there is an online community that most likely has asked any question or problem you come across. The few times I have called the help desk, they have been extremely helpful and patient. A real person answers the phone. You don't have to wait for someone to get back with you. We also recently started using Job Nimbus to manage our customer information, and Quickbooks syncs to Job Nimbus, which is a nice plus. It's nice that you don't have to worry about updating software, because since we use the online version, the latest version is always available. Sometimes we have to do estimates or get to info when we're out in the field, and can access everything from a mobile device.

Cons

My only real con is that the price goes up after the trial period. I wish there could be one software platform that does it all--accounting, customer management, document storage and contract signature capabilities.

Improving

I started book keeping with the Online Version about 7 years ago, at that time the software was buggy and tricky to use. I switched to the desktop version for a year or so and hated everything about it, so I switched back to the online version after they had made some significant improvements and am generally happy with it. I do not feel, however that the sharp increase in monthly subscription and imposed restrictions to accounts is worth the price and therefore don't tend to recommend it to other business owners.

Pros

What I like most about Quickbooks Online is the ability to access it easily from anywhere. Not having to worry about cumbersome backups and sending files too and from my CPA is glorious.

Cons

The software is too rigid and does not fit my industry well. The banking data import is getting better but still parses data strangely and imports the wrong transaction names all the time.

QuickBooks

I wish there were more customer support with knowledge but overall I am pleased with our choice.

Pros

The software is excellent and does everything in one place. I use the payroll feature and it is very helpful.

Cons

Wish there were more knowledge customer support. The customer support seems to be lacking. They depend largely on other customers giving information.

We thank you for your kind words, Kimberly. Knowing that you're able to enjoy using the product is music to our ears. Wishing you well during this difficult time! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

A love hate relationship with Quickbooks

It does what I need for the most part. I just would like some more attention to details be put into it.

Pros

Quickbooks Online is a must have for my business, and I do enjoy using it and like some of the various features it has.

Cons

Sometimes certain functions either glitch or stop working, and the live chat support usually just state they will look into it and get back to me. Then the issues disappear the next day, but support had nothing to do with it, and they don't email me back till a week or more later when the issue resolved itself already. They don't usually have the answers needed. Some functions that you would think would be in the software are not there. For instance, Quickbooks online lets your employees log in to their own timesheet account to log their hours. You would think that when I do payroll that these hours for the timeframe would be automatically entered/tallied, but they are not. I have to manually go into the employee timesheets and calculate the hours and then enter them into payroll.

Would definitely recommend QuickBooks Online

Savings lots of time not having to input all transactions because QBO automatically connects with bank accounts and credit cards to download the transactions. Ease of use sharing information with others in real time. Once it's set up, everything runs so smoothly month to month. The bank reconciliation process is so simple and works so efficiently. Overall, I am very pleased with QBO.

Pros

I love that I can work remotely and have full access to the software from whatever location I am at. The desktop version limited that ability. I like all the reports. I love that it automatically connects with our bank and dumps all the transactions from our multiple business accounts into QBO.

Cons

There are some features in how the customer profile was set up in the desktop version that I liked more and miss not having in QBO, but overall it's a wonderful product.

Helps run a business

I'm not a professional or trained accountant, so I do have to get help on some concepts that I don't understand. But I'm able to keep track of all of our expenses, do invoicing, run P&L reports, reconcile accounts, I'm able to do all the important stuff. And since so many other people/businesses use it, it's pretty easy to Google things when I have questions.

Pros

I like that I can access the information from anywhere, and not just from one computer. One of the features I use the most is copying transactions, it's kind of hidden under the "More" option, but it's super helpful when logging things repeatedly. Also the Recurring Transactions section is great, my business has a lot of online resources that we pay for each month or each quarter, and that section saves a lot of time. It's also great whenever get a new credit card, b/c essentially a list of most of the places our credit card info is on file, so we know where to go to change the info.

Cons

I usually find it pretty annoying that I can't open transactions up in multiple tabs, since the transactions will only pull up in the current tab. I guess I get why, you don't want to make a mistake or double log something b/c you lose track of tabs. But I still get annoyed with it. And I'm not a professional accountant, but I here some of the more complex features of QuickBooks aren't on the online version.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

The industry standard for small business accounting

excellent company; there's a reason their stock has doubled in 2 years; they know what they're doing. They have a new CEO now so hopefully he continues the charge for great tools for small business.

Pros

Easy to use, exceptional integrations to Amazon, shopify, and others. Great customer service, and easy ways to charge and process payments. Love it

Cons

Maybe a closer integration with mint to help me on my personal finances?

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review with us! I'm thrilled QuickBooks is providing the integrations options your business needed, and it's great to hear our Customer Service team is doing their part to help you with the program. Please know if you ever need help with the program you can always turn to our Community for guidance. This resource hub holds a wealth of knowledge articles covering a wide range of QuickBooks-related topics you can access at any time you need them. If you'd like to explore what's available, this link will take you there: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us Thank you again for taking the time to review QuickBooks! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Great software for tracking income and expenses as a non-profit.

Able to keep track of every penny spent and earned.

Pros

It is pretty intuitive and easy to navigate. The online feature is great because I can access it at anytime from any computer. It directly links with my bank accounts and credit cards so all of my transactions are brought over to quickbooks with the click of a button. I am then easily able to categorize the expenses and deposits keeping everything well organized. Can also easily run a multitude of different reports to analyze our year's financials. Has some advanced features that I haven't got to yet. Overall, a great program that anyone can learn to use.

Cons

One of my main gripes with the software is the inability to link similar income and expense accounts. As a non-profit, we plan a lot of festivals and events. I create an income category for the event as well as an expense category. That way I can easily see what was spent on the event and how much we took in. The system does not allow me to link these to categories and show balances so I can easily see if the event made money or lost money. Instead I have to look separately at the income category and the expense category and subtract the difference from the totals. Maybe there is a better way to do this that I don't know but so far I have found no way to link categories like this.

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

Easy to access from anywhere to complete business needs

Great experience, secure to log into, everytime there is a two-step process.

Pros

I like that this can be mobile and accessed from anywhere, my laptop, desktop and phone. The app is easy to use.

Cons

Trying to understand how to navigate to certain items. Also when you use the search feature it seems to only search for transactions and not all info in the system.

Accountant w/ Multiple Clients using QB Online

This is great software for small to medium businesses. There is a learning curve if you are used to the desktop version, and if you are a person who uses desktop and does not upgrade it each year, online can be more costly. It does allow you to access it from anywhere, anytime and does alleviate some concerns about losing all of your business data from a computer crash or virus. Customer service is also top notch. I had an issue getting one of my clients signed up for the correct version of online QB, and then my computer died. It took me 2 days to get up and running again and the rep I was dealing with continued to call me to follow up and make sure I was able to resolve the issue for my client. This is one company where I think their customer service is extraordinary.

Pros

This software allows me as an accountant to offer on the spot assistance and answers to clients without requiring remote access or, a visit to their office. It has many of the same features as desktop Quickbooks at around the same cost.

Cons

It does not have job costing capabilities would be helpful although, there is a work around to accomplish this.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

The quickbooks online version of accounting for small businesses is an essential tool for success.

When reading reviews or searching for answers in the intuit community - be sure to check the post dates. If they are older than 2015 - consider it an old issue and look for more current details.

Pros

My favorite part of quickbooks online is the download from bank accounts, credit card accounts and 3rd party payment processors. As a long time quickbooks user from its early desktop days, the integration of financial information shared with accountants makes any difficulty in moving to quickbooks online so worth it! No more accountant copies, no more waiting for someone else to finish so you can do what you need to.

Cons

The sales report for sales by product summary shows percentage of sales out to the thousandth decimal point - really distracting. There are some differences in how information is reported that when compared to the desktop means for many old school accountants the reports may not appear accurate. HOWEVER - for general businesses - this is a non-issue. The general rule is be consistent.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Quickbooks is a good accounting software for small businesses

Quickbooks allows you to get your business up and running quickly at the least cost. It just becomes an issue when the company becomes large and the business requirements get more complicated. The reporting tools available are not enough as well.

Pros

Quickbooks is very easy to use. Most small businesses I know have one way or another started with Quickbooks. It is that easy to use. You can track your inventory, accounts payable, accounts receivables with ease with this software. In addition, there are nice reports available for you to track your business. It is a nice, easy, and cheap solution for small businesses.

Cons

The issue arises when your business starts to grow big and the requirements your business needs continues to evolve and become more complicated. The software then fails to meet your requirements. There is indeed room for customisation however in the long run they do not become viable long term which as a result requires the company to switch to a much stronger system.

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Great accounting software for small businesses

I have used QuickBooks for about 15 years and find that it is an easy software to use for small businesses. It is very helpful in keeping track of sales tax, customers and all the reports I need for my accountant and the bank. If they could come up with a download to add to your current software instead of buying new software every couple of years, I would be very happy.

Pros

Easy to use without having an accounting degree Reports are easy to find and print out If I have questions, the help icon is very useful and I'm always able to find the answers I need It's easy to copy the files to a thumb drive and give it to my accountant for tax purposes.

Cons

I don't like that it has to be updated every few years which means buying new software. It would be easier to download the updates and not have to pay so much for this update. I'm not able to use a gift certificate as payment for a reservation. It tries to enter it as cash, which is not the case (the certificates have been paid for in advance and therefor shouldn't be considered cash)

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

quickbooks review by florence ndegwa

Preparation of my company's books like balance sheet.

Pros

The software is easy to use such that when a new person acquires it with few guidance they are able to use it to achieve their goals. The software has the essential features necessary in accounting, with this an accounrant does not need several software to achieve their goals.

Cons

The software does not have other financial features apart from the accounting features

Hi Florence. I'm delighted the software is easy enough that new hires can learn it in no time. With this said, I'm here to ensure you can get the most from QuickBooks. An excellent outlet in this respect is the Resource Center. It outlines the breadth of financial features outside of accounting available in the program. A great example of one of the guides offered there is https://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/productivity/106-business-tools-freelancers-consultants-side-hustlers/. Here's to you, saving the business world one goal at a time. Thanks for choosing QuickBooks to help you achieve them, and for being an essential member of the QuickBooks family, by the way! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Online QB

Great once you learn the difference between online and desktop

Pros

I love that this is a cloud based program. As a bookkeeper, I can work real time with my client within minutes instead of sending files back and forth

Cons

I find that the desktop version of QB is easier to use because actions in the menu are much easier to find. I feel like the function as far as fast efficiency is better on desktop.

• Likelihood to recommend10.00/10

Easy to integrate and use

We've been using it for years - it keeps us on track and is great from knowing where we are week-to-week, to when it comes to year end financial reporting.

Pros

We love the ease of reporting in Quickbooks online and how easily it integrates with our other systems.

Cons

There's nothing I don't like - it works really well for us.

• Likelihood to recommend4.00/10

No support available, even for a technical problem on their end

It's expensive, which was ok with us as long as it worked. But when our business credit card account, through Costco's Citi Card, kept disconnecting and having to be reloaded we called to figure you if there was something we need to do to keep this online. Now, Costco is a pretty big corp, and Citi is a pretty big bank, so it seems like intuit is trying to get lots of folks enrolled in $400 support plans to subsidize somebody's bad habits. Unacceptable.

Pros

We loved how QB integrated and automatically downloaded our bank and credit card data to make bookkeeping easier, until it stopped functioning. We have an account with Mint, which is also an Intuit product, and apparently if you toggle between QB and Mint, some of your accounts get bounced and cannot be re-connected without completely removing and rebooting their data.

Cons

Intuit needs to figure this stuff out - when a bank as large as Citibank cannot have accounts integrated with two Intuit products at once, and then QB tells you that you have to delete and reload the account even though you have had it FOR YEARS and deleting it will result in a ton of manual work which is just what you pay a monthly fee NOT to have to do. Then, when you finally get someone on the phone, they say you need to buy a $400 support plan to address THEIR problem, even though you're a monthly subscriber at more than $500/year.

Accounting Made Easy

It has really helped cut down on the amount of time we are doing mundane bookkeeping tasks, such as adding transactions and reconciling.

Pros

The software integrates with many other platforms and because of its popularity, there are new apps coming to the market everyday to help with efficiency's.

Cons

The customer service at Intuit in general is not good and QuickBooks Online is no exception. There are good representatives, however the odds of getting one on the first try are not great.

Quickbooks User

My business is a streamlined butterfly thanks to Quickbooks, amazing product.

Pros

I couldn't function without it at this point. Everything is so streamlined and amazing, it's keeps us in check.

Cons

I tried using the multi-user version of the software and it's didn't have the functions I needed. Granted this was 2 years ago, so hopefully they've improved it since then.

Hey there, Dave! Your response brought a smile to our face. It's heart warming to know that QuickBooks is able to take care of your reports customers and more. Providing you with the tools to simplify the harder parts of running a business is our goal. We assure you we will do everything possible to keep QuickBooks running smooth and keep coming with new updates. If you're running into issues with your multi user mode, we recommend contacting our phone support team. They can be reached by following these steps: (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/open-programs/contact-support/00/433872). That way we can resolve your issue and keep it running perfectly for you! We hope this helps. -Jay, The QuickBooks Team

• Likelihood to recommend8.00/10

Quickbooks is the standard for a reason (several actually)

Positive. I feel like QuickBooks in some for or another has been around for a long time. I remember my mother using Quicken for family bookkeeping. It is easy to use and recognizable. Quickbooks feel like a warm cup of hot cocoa on a snowy day. Not sexy, not new - but it gets the job done.

Pros

The interface is easy to see. It is easy to access reports that are needed for financials. I like that Quickbooks offers Payroll and receipt management.

Cons

I have not used the receipt management as I use ScanSnap. Though the two are capable of being integrated, I am not sure how to do this, so I end up doing Journal entries to fully reconcile. My bookkeeper and accountants both use Quickbooks, so they are able to access needed reports without a lot of issues.

• Likelihood to recommend7.00/10

Quickbooks easy to use; need to determine structure before starting to build it to your business.

Solving tracking donations/deposits. Easy to cut checks so don't have so many checks written outside of a system. It hasn't been "down" since we started using it.

Pros

Ease in entering invoices and writing checks as needed; Deposits/donations easy to track. It puts the data into a very nice report that is easily customized.

Cons

Categories/titles can't be deleted, even after they are -0-. They can only be retired and that takes up the # of allotted items.

Quickbooks makes accounting easier

Overall it is a great product and I am very happy with it.

Pros

There are great benefits to using Quickbooks Online. It offers easy to see summary on the home page of all the pertinent information I need.

Cons

The menu doesn't offer a lot of detail so when I run into areas that I don't know how to handle, I constantly have to look at the help icon.

Quickbooks makes it easy

Over all, I am extremely satisfied with Quickbooks and it definitively makes book keeping easier. Especially during tax time.

Pros

I love how easy Quickbooks is to use. I run a small businesses and do not do any retail type work, but Quickbooks is very important. It really is the perfect option for me. I linked my bank account and it imports the charges and deposits automatically. All I have to do it go through to categorize them, but there are some automatic rules to make this easier too.

Cons

Sometimes Quickbooks will try to learn/predict what a charge should be and messes up the category. This requires me to go back in and move it to the correct category. Not a huge deal, but it is kind of annoying.

Hey there, Hank. Hearing how much you enjoy QuickBooks features like the automatic bank feed is music to our ears! We'll continue to have your back for all of your accounting needs. The following article offers more info on using bank rules to make sure transactions are assigned to the right category: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/banking-topics/how-to-set-and-use-banking-rules-for-downloaded-transactions/00/186468 Thanks for a great review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Quickbooks

We used quickbooks for accounts to create estimates and Invoices. You can create an estimate and easily turn it into an Invoice. You can go in and edit anytime you need to. Customers can make payments through Invoices as well. You can pull reports and see unpaid invoices and what’s owed to you.

Pros

Quickbooks is great for keeping track of accounts and invoices. You can easily look up old and new invoices by date, price or name.

Cons

There wasn’t anything I really disliked about quickbooks. Maybe more options to pull reports but there may be an easier way to do that and I just haven’t figured it out yet.

Hi, Jillian. Providing you with the necessary tools to easily complete accounting tasks is our number one goal. It's great to hear this has been achieved for you and your business! To find out more about customizing reports in your account, we recommend checking out the following article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/run-reports/customize-your-financial-reports/00/186382 Thanks for taking a moment to leave a review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

• Likelihood to recommend9.00/10

Great product with several variable add ons

I have been using QB's online for 8 years including 2 different versions. I have created several reports easily and pulled data into spreadsheets. Very user friendly regardless of which version you use and can seamlessly connect additional services. One of the best accounting sites available

Pros

This software is very easy to use, I have used both for LLC and Self Employed versions and can customize to what the clients need. Running reports for various needs is quick and easy.

Cons

Depending on the version and add on service that you use the 1099 reporting was a little more expensive than another service I found in recent years, but overall not an outrageous amount at all.