Quickbooks Online Logo

Small business accounting software

Quickbooks Online Reviews - Page 7

4,987 reviews

Excellent Software For Small and Medium Sized Businesses

Quickbooks Online offers more than just basic accounting functions. It gives you a good overall dashboard into the accounting and financial reporting of your company.

Pros

Quickbooks has an easy to use interface and it's quite user friendly. It's rich with features that include functions like invoicing, expense tracking, P&L Statements, inventory visibility, and bank reconciliation to help manage the accounting of any small to medium size business. It's very easy to export data to excel and other applications. You can also easily link your bank accounts and your company's credit card spending to your Quickbooks account too. One of the best benefits of Quickbooks Online is that it's cloud based so it's accessible 24/7 whereever you have an internet connection(which also makes using Quickbooks Online with mobile devices very easy too.)

Cons

Quickbooks Online is SAAS software so it's not hosted on your company's servers. So if your internet connection is down, you won't have access to Quickbooks Online at all. There are help tutorials to help you get started on Quickbooks Online but hands on customer service is not very good.

QuickBooks Online

Great to use and adapt for your needs

Pros

Very easy to use and share with co workers

Cons

It is great for individual corporations, but it cannot be linked or not something that can be used in consolidation of a single business owner with more than one businesses

Hello there, Rubina! It's awesome hearing that QuickBooks Online is working so well for you and your business needs! If you ever have any questions, or need assistance with your account, please feel free to reach out through the Help(?) icon in-account, and we'd be more than happy to get you taken care of! All the best! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Quickbooks Online is the best

Thanks to Quickbooks online, now our accountants don't really need to come into our office to work on Quickbooks. They can just log in from their offices.

Pros

I can log in from any computer when needed. Is simpler to use than the desktop version of it. I like the new look with a minimalist design compared to the desktop version.

Cons

When we first got it, there were a few bugs when trying to write checks. For some reason when going back to look for the checks, they didn't appeared in the system. I noticed so far the issue was probably solved with an update.

Hello, Diego. We know running a business doesn't always happen at one single location, so it's great to hear you've been able to complete accounting tasks while on the go. You can continue to count on us to keep it simple. We recommend checking out the Community to continue learning about your account or if you ever need a helping hand: https://community.intuit.com/ Thanks for a great review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

The most complete small business accounting solution

Overall I am beyond happy with my choice to put QuickBooks Online at the core of my businesses accounting functions. The cost is extremely reasonable for the power and huge capabilities it has.

Pros

Easy to use whether you have no accounting experience or you are a pro. The user interface is logically laid out so you can get where you need intuitively. Between the very complete built in functionality and a robust App Store of add-ins for specific needs it Quickbooks Online can provide a solution to any accounting need You can go it alone or seamlessly incorporate external accounting services...

Cons

I had very few issues. Mostly surrounding my inexperience with accounting. It would be nice if Intuit would have some General Accounting Practices videos to get complete accounting novices up to speed on the basics like setting up a book of accounts and how to categorize expenses properly.

Quickbooks Makes My Business Run Smooth

While I know a lot of people who use other ways to handle and manage accounting, I use and recommend Quickbooks for the simple fact that it integrates with nearly all banks and institutions, and I can send my QB information to my accountant anytime. I'll take peace of mind in exchange for an overwhelming amount of tools and extraneous features any day.

Pros

As a self-employed web developer, I need all the help I can get with accounting and managing expenses. I first started using Quickbooks Online in 2014, and have seen the product grow and improve significantly over the years. I use the software for invoicing, expenses, 1099 forms, and a few other features. It makes me worry less about accounting and taxes and focus more on what I do best: making the internet a better place, one website at a time.

Cons

For me, there's an overwhelming amount of features that I haven't even used yet, which can be a bit intimidating, especially for someone who runs his business in a very DIY manner. I've noticed the dashboards can be a bit cumbersome when it comes to generating reports and finding basic items for when I need to invoice my clients, but after some time I was able to get over it.

Great Software for Small and Medium Size Business

Love it! Been using this product for close to 20 years.

Pros

Very easy to use! Many accountants and bookkeepers will be able to properly report income and expenses for just about any business.

Cons

Takes time to build your business and chart of accounts. QuickBooks provides a quick chart of accounts based on your business selected. I tend to be a bit more detailed with my chart of accounts. But once you have it set up, very easy to use and pull the reports that matter to you.

Great for our small business

We access QuickBooks through our accountant who has a cloud setup for our business For our Macs, we have to use a separate application to run the program. I believe this is because of the nature of our accountant’s system. It is very easy to use, and actually makes me look forward to assessing our financials periodically (as opposed to before, when we monitored everything through excel workbooks!). It is easy to categorize all of our expenses and if I ever am unsure of where to log an expense there is an “ask my accountant” option. Overall, switching to QB has been an awesome decision for our business. I’m sad we waited so long!

Pros

QuickBooks saves our business *days* (not just hours) of time per year in regards to our financial keeping. It is very quick to go through our monthly statements to double check our revenue and expenditures (roughly 5 minutes for a month). We pay our payroll by just clicking a few boxes. As a small business, time is a huge factor. My most favorite feature is the mileage tracker. I have used several mileage trackers/recorders, and QuickBooks is my favorite in terms of format and accuracy.

Cons

There are A LOT of features. For our small business, there is so much stuff in QB that we do not utilize and make sure it slightly confusing. However, once you learn what portions you need for your business and what you need, it’s very easy to navigate.

Good software but pricey

I like the software and layout and the product in general but they way nickel and dime you and their subpar customer support leaves me often thinking how difficult it would be to switch to another software or service.

Pros

It's easy to use and has many functions.

Cons

They always seem to be talking about raising the monthly subscription cost and finding new and exciting ways to make sure you use/stay with one of their top tier most expensive monthly subscription. I would have preferred to purchase the desktop version for a one time cost, but they limit certain features and functionality so that you must use the monthly service. They often change terms or reduce functionality that limits the software/online so that you are forced to bump up to pay a higher monthly subscription tier or go without a function or two that you have gotten used to and can't go without. They know how difficult it would be to switch to another service, so they pretty much can charge whatever they like- and they do.

I LOVE QBO, but it still needs some tweeking

One of my QBO Payroll clients has a VERY UNIQUE problem with the naming of a payroll category (Case#516 495 978 and Case#516 903 347). I've called three times for tech support and have been escalated to the Back End team, but each time I'm told that since I'm the only client with this problem it probably won't be resolved because they only address problems with the highest number of complaints. After Jan 1, 2018 I won't be able to process this client's payroll unless the QuickBooks team fixes this problem. It shouldn't take more than a few moments to resolve but QB Back End will not even look at it. So WHERE DOES THAT LEAVE ME?

Pros

Easy to train new staff on how QBO works. Very intuitive, if you're a new user with a question but you look at the page long enough you'll probably find an answer. I love the screen layout and response speeds . After using QBO for 3 years I don't want to convert back to QB Desktop. All but one of my clients have made the switch to QBO.

Cons

Annual price increases of 20-35% for QBO services. Once Intuit has you sucked into QBO they really 'lower the boom' on clients with these annual increases. Reporting is not as robust as QB Desktop. Conversions from QB Desktop don't bring across prior YTD Payroll data.

Simple Cloud Based Accounting

Thus far for the size of our business it makes the most sense and we enjoy using it.

Pros

We can now do our bookkeeping and accounting remotely. Previously our firm used Quickbooks Desktop which unfortunately was not a flexible solution, nor agile.

Cons

The reporting options are basic, often to drill down on certain aspects of the business financials they need to be exported to another system in order to generate insightful reports.

Accounting for the Rest of Us

We are a small business and this software helps us keep track of sales tax in multiple counties, payroll, shareholder distributions, state/federal taxes, and sales transactions.

Pros

This software was very easy to set up and use. As our business has grown, I have been able to use more of the functionality to pay taxes, run payroll, and more. I like that it syncs with our bank accounts and reconciling is simple. The reports are helpful and the software is intuitive.

Cons

Intuit tries to sell me other products like loans and help with payroll. The software is expensive and the price continues to rise.

QuickBooks Online - it is there when you need it on every device

QuickBooks online is pretty easy to use for a total non-accountant entrepreneur. Setting it up and using it was pretty easy. Of course I made accounting mistakes along the way as I muddled along but once I hired a bookkeeper, it was easy for her to fix, clean up, and streamline my accounting practices. Even though she had never worked with the online version before, she quickly adapted.

Pros

QuickBooks Online is just what it says. I never have to worry about saving my work or updates. It just takes care of itself that way. When I am away from my office, I can use my iPad or iPhone to do a quick check on my accounts, edit an invoice and send it on it's way. My bookkeeper has equal access and can create checks and invoices for me to approve. It is seamless.

Cons

I don't "own" my accounting software. This is handled with a yearly subscription and the prices can go up in the future. QuickBooks online is its own environment. For someone used to working with any other version, there is a bit of a learning curve to convert to the way that things are done in the online version. The learning curve is not very steep, however, and can be overcome in a very short time.

I, as an accountant, appreciated bookkeeping in the cloud

Pros

QuickBooks has everything you need for accounting: the ability to generate reports, monitor revenues and expenses for each of the projects and many other useful functions. It pleased that the developers introduced a multi-user mode - it's great to simplify the work, when I can distribute tasks between employees and monitor their implementation.

Cons

The program is presented only in English, but these are trifles. The main question to the developers is why there is no notice whether the personal data is being collected. And one more thing - a too slow technical support service.

Thank you for reaching out, Nataly. While global versions of QuickBooks have language settings which you can edit (community.intuit.com/articles/1713838), I'm glad you enjoy the flexibility our cloud-based product offers. As for your personal data, please know we take your security seriously. You can review the steps we take to keep you safe at https://security.intuit.com/, and I encourage you to send...

Way better than QuickBooks Desktop

QuickBooks is a necessity for any business. I haven't used anything that competes. The online version is way better than the desktop version.

Pros

I love that everything is in the cloud and can be accessed from anywhere. QuickBooks has created a user interface that is intuitive and easy to learn. You don't need to have an accounting degree to be a great bookkeeper because they make it easy.

Cons

Sometimes QuickBooks doesn't have flexibility with classifying balance sheet items and payments on receivables. This is nit-picky, but since we have rental properties in separate classes, it would be nice to be able to run a balance sheet by class and show the correct rents receivable balance. If I want to use the awesome invoicing feature (rent invoices sent to tenants and easily paid with a click of a button!), then the payments received will be classed differently than the receivable. Also, we a refund check comes in, I sometimes have to match a journal entry instead of entering a deposit because it doesn't work to certain accounts. (e.g. when we get a refund on utilities that is capitalized in our fix and flip projects).

QuickBooks Makes things easier

Overall, it helps with the main things I need.

Pros

I like that it tracks everything for me. My only responsibility is to ensure everything is captured and assigned correctly. After QB recognizes the same thing, it automatically assigns such as internet expenses, federal taxes, etc.

Cons

I feel for the price, everything should be included. I shouldn't be charged to print checks, etc. I have to do this separately just to not be charged excessive fees.

We appreciate you leaving a review, Keisha! It's great to hear that QuickBooks Online is helping streamline your day-to-day work-load! With that being said, if you're meaning printing payroll checks, payroll is indeed a separate service with it's own subscription charge. To take a look at the payroll prices and plans we have available, please feel free to visit: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/payroll Thank you for being part of the QuickBooks family! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Has worked for me for over a decade

I use it for payroll, daily deposits and payments, tax preparation and billing reminders. I do not invoice customers as we sell direct to the consumer not b to b. I could integrate it with my POS system but there is an extra fee to do this that is not worth the cost for us at this time.

Pros

It is straightforward and easy to use. Pulls the reports I need seamlessly. I also have the payroll service which rocks! If I ever have an issue or question the customer service team is super responsive and quickly resolves issues or answers questions.

Cons

It needs to have an easier way to clean up old accounts I'm no longer using. Vender accounts, bank accounts, credit cards, customers, employees, etc.

Hi there, Sandy. Thanks for a great review. Hearing how easy QuickBooks has made accounting tasks like payroll, deposit management, and tax prep is music to our ears. We'll continue to have your back for years to come! To learn tips and tricks about cleaning up old accounts, we recommend visiting the Community. Here, you'll find a variety of how-to articles and can even post your own question to receive tailored responses from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/ Cheering you to continued success! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Great for small businesses, but be careful when updating

Very good until something goes wrong.

Pros

Super easy to use whether you have accounting training or not.

Cons

Customer service is an issue, especially when updating to a more current version, especially if you have more than one user using more than one computer. Customer service reps are trained to solve your problem, but no to check for what issues changing things may have caused. Every time we update, we wind up with users using different versions of the software, and have to call and have customer service put all the versions back together. It can take hours and many phone calls to solve issues.

Our mission is to make the accounting side of business easier, so it's great to hear that our software is doing that for you, Marcella. For information on updating QuickBooks, we recommend this article: (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/update-products/update-to-the-latest-release-of-quickbooks-desktop/00/203221). Should you ever need assistance with updating the software, or anything else, we invite you to visit our Community space. Here you can locate helpful articles and post questions which are answered by fellow users and support agents: (community.intuit.com). We appreciate the review! David, The QuickBooks Team

Review of QuickBooks Online

My overall experience with QuickBooks Online is very good. I use it on a daily bases and i have found ways around not having all the things that the desktop does. But it has solved our issues of not having to be at work to log in. We can login anywhere with the online version and i absolutely love that. Customer Service has always been great. We have never had an issue that they haven't been able to fix. I would recommend this product to anyone that does accounting, has a small business, or has a large business. This product it totally worth the money.

Pros

I have worked with QuickBooks for 15 years now. I have used the Desktop & Online Version. I love the online version more. I love that i'm not stuck at one desktop trying to log in. You can login anywhere you go. So this item is defiantly for you if you travel or work between home and the office. Some state that its hard to use, but i found it really easy to navigate to the items i need.

Cons

This product does a lot of great things. But it doesn't do everything that a desktop version does. We do PO's, Sales Orders, Invoice's, Bills/Credits, & Payroll on a daily bases but online version doesn't support all of these items.

Love this software

I can't imagine doing bookkeeping without this product. It's a bookkeeper's dream software. That's why having a high price tag stinks because there really isn't another product that compares.

Pros

I love so many things about this product. Having the ability to download banking transactions automatically on a daily basis is super helpful. Also being able to download payroll transactions from QuickBooks Payroll saves so much time. I love that you can set up rules for recurring transactions so you don't have to input every time. I like having the ability to add "class" distinction to each transaction to be able to track income and expenses for different departments. The reports offered are exactly what are needed. The dashboard is set up in a user friendly manner. The customer support is top notch.

Cons

I don't like that they keep raising the price. They say they are offering new features, but the features offered are never anything that adds value to my business and I get stuck paying the new price without any value added.

So Easy

I've been using quickbooks in various forms for over 8 years and they have made great improvements in functionality over the years. Using software that is put out by a company always looking to improve is important to me. Quickbooks online is subscription based but worth it since I can access my invoices and banking anywhere anytime. The desktop version works great for the printing company I work for and being able to seamlessly move from estimate to invoice is a huge plus for us.

Pros

I like that I can create an estimate for my client and seamlessly turn it into an invoice and email it out in one easy platform.

Cons

Navigation on the desktop version is a little more complicated than QB Online, I use both for two different companies and definitely prefer the online layout.

Hey there, Holly. Empowering you with the tools you need to easily manage each company's finances is what we're here for. We're thrilled to know you've enjoyed using QuickBooks for quite some time now to do just that! To learn navigational tips and tricks for the Desktop version, we recommend checking out the Community. You'll find a variety of how-to articles, as well as guidance from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/ Thank you for a great review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Quickbooks Online is the best!!!

This is definitely a great fit for small businesses who have a basic system to keep their books. It was very easy to set up and has worked well with our billing system. Everytime i have needed assistance, the support team is readily available to help.

Pros

Software is the best for small businesses. I like using Quickbooks online because it is user friendly and well illustrated. It allows multiple user login which means i can use a different device in a different location to access my profile. It also provides a great customer support called Intuit forums for any queries you may experience. The payroll feature is very easy to navigate and update.

Cons

Not suitable for locations that experience frequent power outages. It is expensive some features are limited

My experience with Quickbook products

when I start the business, people recommended QuickBooks to me, and I have been using it for almost 2 years. I must say I really like it. I currently use QB payroll and QB online, and it can help me to manage my business already, and it is easy to use. In QB payroll, we can direct deposit salary for each employee, also it can pay all the taxes automatically, generate report automatically, send reminder...

Pros

1. easy to use, pretty straight forward 2. The QB on-line version covers pretty much everything except the inventory control ( bin locations) 3. Linked with our bank, we can do reconcile easily at QB 4. QB payroll is easy to set up, once set up, just click buttons to get things done 5. Great customer service, I enjoyed every agent I speak with, and thanks for all their help

Cons

1. The iPhone APP seems not so strong, I can't check my inventory quantity, nor my cost. But sometimes when I am traveling, it is easier if I can get this info from my phone 2. There are some actions can't be undone, but it is understandable

QuickBooks Online - Slow Start (Six Years Ago) Now My Fave

I work with the majority of my clients in QuickBooks Online and generally would only otherwise recommend Wave. The different tiers available provide flexible solutions for entrepreneurs and business owners, and get the accounting job done about as easily as I can imagine.

Pros

As a professional bookkeeper, I appreciate - the robust reconciliation process - a large array of reports, many customizable in useful ways - easy transaction editing - robust bank feed features, including the ability to set up categorization rules

Cons

I wish this software stuck to a consistent use of the terms "debit," "credit," "increase," and "decrease" in the account ledgers. And if they must use the terms "increase" and "decrease" (which are totally relative, since one side's increase is always another's decrease, and vice versa) they could at least follow those with "Debit" and "Credit" in parentheses for those of us who need to work with an accounting perspective. Recent coding changes to payroll set-up have also presented me with significant challenges in setting up a multi-state payroll that included payroll history.

QuickBooks is an excellent financial management program.

I used QuickBooks for many years to run a small computer service company. It did a fine job of handling bank accounts, check writing, accounts receivable and payable, report writing, etc. After I was trained in its proper use it did an excellent job and was fully adequate to the needs of my organization. I can't comment on how it would work in a very large company, because I have no direct experience with that.

Pros

QuickBooks comes in many versions, customized for your particular type of business. Those versions are optimized for the particular needs of, for example, service companies, with a different version optimized for sales departments, medical practices, etc. It is extremely powerful and will do an excellent job for a reasonable amount of money. It's manuals, both printed and online help, are excellent, and its tech support is first rate.

Cons

It has a very steep learning curve, and you need to understand a minimum of bookkeeping and accounting in order to use it correctly. When I first started using it, I had to hire an accountant to set it up and train me in its use. There can be long time waits for tech support to come on the line.

Perfect for what you pay for

Overall positive experience, would recommend. As discussed above, it does everything you need it to do - just a little clunky at times.

Pros

Easy to use, nice UI, connects with everything you need it to - and is flexible enough to expand with you as your business grows to add'l regions, add'l lines of service, etc.

Cons

It's clunky - sometimes the app just doesn't work and you have to use the web browser version, which is fairly slow. Sometimes other features simply just don't work. However, with that said, I would say that the inexpensive nature of QBO makes it the far superior product in the market.