Quicken Reviews

Quicken

Brings all your accounts together in one place

Quicken

Quicken Deluxe to keep track of your income, Investments, Expenses, Debts and Loans

Overall value of the software is very good, provided you keep your computer equipment up to date. Quickens new feature allows tracking by cell phone, which is a great feature when you are travelling and cannot sit at your home computer

Pros

Accurate tracking of activities in your bank account and credit cards, Investment status and loan balances

Cons

Phone support was phased out and for an old timer who cannot type fast, asking questions is time consuming and requires a lot of patience

Quicken: More powerful than most of us need

I haven't used a paper check register in many, many years. I manage my finances on Quicken. While I don't use Quicken's investment-tracking features, I've played with them in the past and they work well.

Pros

It makes it easy to track my finances (both business and personal) and to upload and download transactions to and from my bank

Cons

It's a little slow to load. In the 2018 version, which I recently installed, the dropdown menus don't stay dropped down long enough when I use my mouse to navigate; I have to use my arrow keys. I don't like the fact that Quicken now forces you to upgrade the software every year or to if you want the ability to continue communicating with your bank using the program. I don't need the minor improvements that the publisher touts, and resent having to keep loading given that I'm not seeing any improvements in the features that I used.

I have been using Quicken for several years now and love the program for tracking my spending.

Pros

As mentioned, I track spending as well as my earnings and family members earnings. It is a tremendous asset when tax time comes around for finding the items you may have forgotten about earlier in the year but are tax items.

Cons

The investment section of this program is a little confusing and cumbersome. It does allow for lots to tracking gain / loss easier. But setting up and making adjustments is a bit cumbersome.

Potential as a great product that suffers from poor quality

Quicken for Business has no real peers on the market. There are certainly much better SMB accounting packages, there are better investment packages and better rental property packages, but Quicken appears to be the only one that consolidates all these functions into one. This used to be a quality package with minor bugs. Since being spun off, the management has successfully converted this from a typical "license and download" software to an annual subscription service, meaning you have to continually pay to be able to use the software. They also appear to have changed something in the QA process, as it has become more common for updates to fix one thing and break two more. Still, the basis is there for this to be a great product if they can ever solve the bad development issues.

Pros

For a small business or and individual with rental properties, this product has a full set of features that, if working properly, could really help. Interface is easy to use. Most banking and investment services can be accessed to easily download and reconcile accounts.

Cons

Very, very buggy. Some features just seem to automatically cause the system to crash. It seems way too often that the data file becomes corrupted. Recently changed to a subscription model, so you can't really keep a stable release.

Use for Personal and Busines

Wonderful program for personal and small business bookkeeping

Pros

It is very easy to use and reports are easy to pull from the software. It is a very powerful software for the price. You can use an app like Dropbox or OneDrive to keep your data available from anywhere.

Cons

Support/help was unable to assist with creating a report that was complex - probably needed to use Quick Books instead of Quicken for this type of report

Great software for the businessman that owns a few houses for rent.

Pros

It is very easy to use and keeps track of each individual home...the income and the expenses. It also allows tracking expenses by category, and you can set these up for custom tracking.

Cons

It doesn't handle deposits very well. And I have never figured out how to change the dates that the rent covers. For example, if someone moves in during the middle of a month, it doesn't handle that well.

Use for payroll

We have a small buiness and we use this for payroll and bookkeeping. I do not have any accounting background so it is a huge help to me.

Pros

Easy to use for small business, to keep track of expenses, print check, print reports, have been using for close to 10 years.

Cons

Tech support is sometimes difficult to understand. Updates sometime create issues. I usually do not install update until months after released.

2017 edition is not much to write home about

For some reason I have transactions "disappear " out of my checking account, very frustrating.

Pros

nothing in particular, I like the loan calculator. I also like that Quicken has a app I can use on my phone.

Cons

Very hard to get credit cards and bank account to automatically down load, I would like to set up automatic payments for my checking account, but only want them to show up in my checking account when they are due.

Great Product

The customer service is outstanding!

Pros

I love the convenience of using Quicken. I've used it both personally and professionally in the past and it is easy to download, implement, and update as needed.

Cons

I did not like how sometimes, it crashed a few times while I was in the middle of entering very important information. It didn't happen a lot, but when it did; it caused a small inconvenience for me.

Keep your finances in check!

This is the best product I have found to stay on top of our finances.

Pros

Quicken is easy to use and gives the ability to stay on top of your finances! From checking and savings, credit cards, mortgages and more!

Cons

You have to pay Quicken in order to pay your bills on a monthly basis. I don't have to pay my bank, so I have to pay through my bank, and then manually add those payments to Quicken.

Biller integration needs work

Pros

Bank integration is great. I can handle all my finances through one interface. Paying bills is dead simple.

Cons

Multiple bills from the same biller (like 2x Chase credit cards) breaks. Once I turned on the feature to pull bills from my billers I've had bill reminders disappear, so I have to pay much closer attention than I should have to given that this is what I have Quicken for.

Quicken

Over many years I have had very good success with using this product and would recommend it to anyone. I was very positive for my family when it was offered in an apple compatible version.

Pros

I have used this software for 15-20 years and have found it very useful to me personally and in a small business setting. It allows for personalization in selecting categories for income and expenses. It has been very helpful in keeping track of itemized deductions and investments.

Cons

I don't like that updates are not free with initial purchase. I don't like uploading data and just want it on my own computer and backup. Some of the new features with updates are not necessary to me. But, I can see value for others.

Online BillPay is not functional

If they resolve the BillPay problem, or if you confirm your bank will accept payment from Quicken through their DirectConnect feature, then the subscription/2019 version should be similar or slightly better than earlier versions. If you need BillPay, DO NOT UPGRADE Quicken until you can confirm they have patched their software to correct this apparent bug.

Pros

Subscription/2019 version is similar to older versions. Tracks funds easily. Intuitive money management. Allows download/sync with checking, savings, credit card, and investment accounts. Subscription model is expensive, but will be offset by no longer having to pay monthly charges for BillPay.

Cons

Requires "upgrade" to 2019 version. Requires deletion of old BillPay account and manual re-entry of all payee and account info during upgrade. As of 2/9/19 BillPay is not functional. Have been waiting since 1/6/19 for account activation, so can still not pay bills through quicken using the subscription version I am paying for. Many other customers with same complaint. Support says still trying to resolve similar tickets from customers from December 2018.

Quicken is useful for corporate and personal finance

Pros

I find Quicken useful in several different settings, including corporate and personal finance. I most like that Quicken gives me an at-a-glance look at how we're doing and what we need to work on as an organization.

Cons

I least like that to get these at-a-glance reports, there's a lot of setup involved.

Good for small size business

Pros

The price is reasonable compares to Quickbooks, and it is easy to use. If you do not need multi users function, Quicken is a good option for bookkeeping job.

Cons

The software sometimes crashes for no reason especially working with big files. In addition, my version (2017) does not have multi users function, which is a limitation of the Quicken. Make sure you do back up file every single time because when the Quicken files getting bigger, it's easier to crash.

Quicken for Business

They have been good about customer service over the phone.

Pros

I like the ease of the software and printing profit and loss statements at the touch of my fingers.

Cons

Monthly fee for cloud based. Would like to be able to use the software for less money. It used to be $10 per month and now it is $25.

Overall This Product Does Its Job Well

Pros

It is a great and effective tool that allows small and medium sized rental managers to keep their rental finances separated from their personal finances in a familiar and easy to use interface.

Cons

The subscription cycle is a bit tedious . I would like to see a longer support cycle for specific versions.

Best low-cost manager solution

Didn't like the forced upgrade to the latest version - some features were disabled on the old version until it was upgraded.

Pros

The price is right. Automatic download from banks is very useful. Automatic backups good for security.

Cons

Some features are somewhat awkward to use. The menus can be confusing. Naming, saving of various files is not intuitive.

Great software for my basic financial needs

Pros

Can pay my bills and balance my checking account in a flash with downloads from my bank. Helps me keep a tight grip on credit card balances as well.

Cons

They make you upgrade every three years or so. There should be an option for those of us that do not want or require for our financial information to be mobile.

Great product

Great product.

Pros

Upgraded with no issues. Improved features. Great product. I would buy this product again. A must have for any landlord/property manager.

Cons

The product could use more mobile friendly features. The product is missing ability to attach pictures, have tenants direct deposit, etc. Great value though!

Quicken Pros and Cons

Quicken should offer a basic version that can be used for years with out upgrades for people who do not want to pay their bills online through Quicken.

Pros

I use Quicken as a checking register, and to run reports to see my spending habits. It works great in this capacity. You can also use it to pay bills online, however, I do not use this feature, due to having to upgrade the software every year.

Cons

Quicken forces you to upgrade their software to continue using the pay bills online feature. If you do not upgrade, they cut off the bill paying feature. The Quicken program that I am using is over 5 years old, so it crashes periodically. I will probably have to upgrade this soon.

Much improved from 2 years go- great software!

Pros

If you have used QuickBooks in the workplace, then you will love Quicken. It is very similar and the updates they have made in the last few years has made a big difference. Keep track of all expenses in a seamless platform that multi-users can have access to. Works great for home budget.

Cons

Customer service and getting access to support is difficult. Minimal channels to get a real person to assist when you run into snags.

Using quicken makes my life easy

Once you have everything loaded it’s a breeze to get through. Easy to find reports, updating is simple.

Pros

I love the fact that at any given time I can get on and know exactly where my Financial situation is at.

Cons

May be a little confusing to get things loaded and started up

Quicken

Quicken has simplified my budgeting process and makes it easier to keep track of my current financial situation.

Pros

- Almost too many categories for budgeting and tracking transactions. - Excellent integration with online accounts (ex. banking, credit card, loans) - Multiple options to create a custom dashboard for a quick picture of your current financial situation. - Automatic transaction downloads and Quicken recognizes and assigns most transactions to specific categories.

Cons

- Almost too many categories for budgeting and tracking transactions. This can be overwhelming when trying to set up a simple budget. Thankfully there are options for managing how categories are assigned, it just takes a little bit of time and trial and error. - More advanced features such as loan pay off planning are not as intuitive or automatic as the basic banking features and require some prior knowledge or a good google search to figure out.

Quicken is a user-friendly and easy to use

Pros

Easy to setup and get started; data entry is easy as well; downloading/importing transactions from a financial institution is easy; default reports give you an idea of where you are spending your money; budgeting is informative; easy to run a business including accounts receivable; easy to categorize expenses and attach a document (image or PDF of a receipt)

Cons

The cost of this product can become annoying; once users get used to it though, people find it hard to change; if users can adapt to change easily and want to save some money, there are some online or open-source finance applications that are just as good