Shift4 Logo

Shift4

We’re changing the way the world experiences commerce.

Shift4 Reviews

3.3

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend9.36/10

Reviews by rating

Very happy, I always recommend them, just ordered a mobile unit.
Amazing customer service. Hakki always comes through for us.
Always blaming processing company or american express company. Where has problem with shift4.
I'm not the decision maker on software, but if it was up to me I would seek out a different solution. The Shift-4 CC recovery is time consuming, fails frequently, and overall is a pain to use.

JD G.

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Great and Easy to Use

We don't have the option to not use Dollars on the Net/Shift4 as our POS system requires them if we want to process CC transactions through our POS Terminals. That being said, I don't mind them and they're very easy to use and actually make tracking down individual transactions super easy if we needed to. Overall, I've been happy with them, but was just a little put off when they more than doubled our prices.

Pros

It is very easy to use and I have no issues batching out our transactions.

Cons

My only complaint is they more than doubled their prices when they started to offer their own processing services, and will only lower/waive their gateway fees if you use them (which I feel is a little scammy).

JM

John M.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

Shift 4 payment processing

Very happy, I always recommend them, just ordered a mobile unit

Pros

Ease of use, reporting, the customer pays the credit card fees, customer service is as good as I’ve ever dealt with

Cons

I’m not computer smart, it took me a little while to get used to adding menu items and such but their customer service was always available to help

Hello John - Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear your experience with Shift4 has been positive. We hope to continue exceeding your expectations.

MM

Molly M.

Do not use

Overwhelmingly negative. Hard to use interface, reports don't come in PDF or other functional formats. Their customer service makes Comcast look competent.

Pros

I didn't. Every customer service experience I had was horrid. I would make requests, they would tell me that they needed to speak to the [sensitive content hidden] every time I called. I would do so and he would delegate access to me. They would tell me that they needed a few days for the request to process and then when I would call back there was no record that they had spoken directly with our owner. This process happened no less than five times. Not a single customer service representative properly logged our cases. I probably lost over 50 working hours trying to get a competent customer service rep.

Cons

Customer service was the worst I've experienced in my life out of any company I've interacted with personally or professionally. On multiple occasions I requested copies of my invoices and either didn't receive them or received them after huge delays and multiple follow-up calls. They never track issues with your account so every time you call you're back to square one. Awful, awful, awful.

Hi Molly — We're very sorry to hear about this issues you're experiencing and we want to help get it resolved ASAP. Please reach out to us at reviews@shift4.com with your contact information and issue details and we'll ensure it's escalated. And, as always, you can reach us 24/7 via live chat: shift4.com/support

MM

Mike M.

Amazing, Customer Service!

Amazing customer service! Hakki always comes through for us. Could not recommend more.

Pros

24 hour customer service. Being able to reach someone at any time is very helpful.

Cons

We haven’t had any problems with it. Everything has run very smoothly so far.

Hello Mike — Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share your experience with Shift4. Our priority is customer service and we’re happy to hear that we met that mark!

DG

David G.

A seemless Fit

Pros

Shift4 came into our workflow like it was meant to be. Payments? very smooth. And their support is exceptional

Cons

No cons, everything is great from functionality to service

Hi David — We’re so happy to hear that you’ve had a positive experience with our team here at Shift4. Thank you for leaving a review!

SO

Stephanie O.

Keep shopping...

It is infuriating how this company's answer is to tell you to call the bank or your Point of Sale software. They offer you no other solution. No escalation to another tier of investigation. Just "call someone else". If you like spending time on hold for anywhere from 15-45 minutes to then be told to call someone else...these are the people for you.

Pros

The search and layout is easy on the eyes when looking for a transaction.

Cons

The inability to explain where random transactions would come from or how they would appear on a guest card.

Hi Stephanie. Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to hear your experience with our support team hasn't been the best. Please know your comments are really helpful in highlighting opportunities to improve our processes. If you need further assistance resolving your concerns, please reach out to us at reviews@shift4.com with your contact information and issue details and we'll ensure it's escalated. Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

JT

Joe T.

Automotive, 1-10 employees

Slick Looking but Support

Extremely disappointed with the level of service received for our card processing. Support Staff never explained why our reporting was not accurate. Call in an issue, a support ticket would be generated, but never resolved. I don't mind paying for support and proper reporting, but when you charge customers for a service that you don't deliver on, that's just wrong. My best advice is forgo any bells and whistles Shift4 claims as their support is non existent. Turn around and look elsewhere.

Pros

I moved from IRN card processing to Shift4 with the understanding that monthly Reporting and Fees would be more transparent and easily understood. While the fees charged actually showed up in the month they were incurred, the reporting did not reflect the actual transactions.

Cons

Support could never answer or correct the reporting issue we experienced. Our accounting department spent hours each month reconciling our daily batch to their statements. Some months it was impossible, and still, no answer back on support tickets. EVER!. The icing on the cake was our new card processor could not get us installed before our 12 month contract expired, so Shift4 charged us for the entire following 12 months of support and reporting.

Hello, thank you for reaching out, Joe. We appreciate you sharing your experience and we’re sorry to hear that we missed the mark. We would like the opportunity to work with you and resolve any challenges you may still be experiencing! Please reach out to us at reviews@shift4.com with your contact information and issue details and we'll ensure it's escalated. We are committed to learning from our mistakes and enhancing our services to better serve our customers.

DC

Devin C.

The absolute worst

They screwed up the order, the delivery 3x, the installation was a nightmare as they messed up our whole network and they sent morons out to fix it who did nothing and said we were all set. We went with Clover after spending over 50 hours on hold with them and getting nowhere and now we can’t even ship their crappy product back to them because they don’t have us listed as owners of the company that they send bills to. They’re emailing the previous owner shipping labels and when we call them they say we can’t speak to anyone because we’re not who they have listed as the owner.Absolutely moronic and as rude as it gets. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Pros

Nothing. They are literally the worst company to ever exist.

Cons

Their customer service is embarrassingly bad. They are rude, inept, arrogant and disrespectful. They lie with confidence while reading their script. They are trained to never let you speak to a manager.

Hello Devin – We're deeply sorry for the negative experience you've had with us. This falls well below our service standards, and we take your feedback seriously. Please know that your feedback is vital to us, and we would like the opportunity to address your concerns and make things right. We encourage you to reach out to us at reviews@shift4.com with your contact information and issue details and we'll ensure it's escalated. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are committed to learning from our mistakes and enhancing our services to better serve our customers.

FL

Fitzgerald L.

Restaurants, 51-200 employees

Stay Away

Really bad. they say that they will return the call but no one does.

Pros

I did not find any pros as they were constantly loosing connections

Cons

Constant problems with the connectivity of the terminals. Customer service is non existent.

Hello Fitzgerald, thank you for reaching out. We appreciate you sharing your experience and we’re sorry to hear that we missed the mark. We would like the opportunity to work with you and resolve any challenges you may still be experiencing! Please reach out to us at reviews@shift4.com with your contact information and issue details and we'll ensure it's escalated. We are committed to learning from our mistakes and enhancing our services to better serve our customers.

SG

Sandy G.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Great service

Amazing! The sales guy Jorge is always there to answer your questions even after he has “sold” you the product

Pros

Although it’s a big company they make you feel like it’s a small one

Cons

Wait time on the phone to get a hold of a person can long

Hey there, Sandy — Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share your experience with Shift4. We're happy to hear our team was able to provide excellent customer service and we met that mark!

WK

Walter K.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

STAY AWAY from the headaches of poor customer service

Serious customer service issues. Not functional enough with their software and they took away useful features. Inventory is tedious and needs to be better streamlined. Often entered items and then they disappear. Fees fluctuate too much with no explanation..

Pros

The interface with booking was easy to use but unfortunately our stylists could not use the remote access to keep up on appointments.

Cons

Customer service is VERY POOR. Takes forever to get the, and never have the same answer when you have to make multiple calls. Also they never explain the additional charges. This company may do well with restaurants and bars , but they are NOT for any other business , like ours- a salon.They took away features from their software as well. The analytics were not simple to use and numbers never matched ours…still can’t figure why. The fluctuating process fees were outrageous at times. When we ended using them , fees for not using were piled on and still they could not explain the fluctuation on price whenWE DID NOT USE THEM.

Hello Walter, thank you for reaching out. We appreciate you sharing your experience and we’re sorry to hear that we missed the mark. We would like the opportunity to work with you and resolve any challenges you may still be experiencing! Please reach out to us at reviews@shift4.com with your contact information and issue details and we'll ensure it's escalated. We are committed to learning from our mistakes and enhancing our services to better serve our customers.

SS

Sandy S.

RezStream for Hospitality

Started out great - to zero stars.

Pros

Easy integration into resort software when it started. Changed billing after we signed up and deducts fee per transaction - rather than a monthly fee.

Cons

Absolutely incompetent staffing. Somehow my profile was deleted in February now late August and I was admin. They can not reset me up to get our reports as we no longer have an administrator. This has been 6 months and we can not get reports.

Hi Sandy – thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We're so sorry to hear your experience with Shift4 has not been as great as when you started. We'd love the opportunity to make things right and resolve these ongoing issues you are experiencing. Please reach out to us at reviews@shift4.com with your contact information and issue details and we'll ensure it's escalated. We are committed to learning from our mistakes and enhancing our services to better serve our customers.

DS

David S.

Retail, 1-10 employees

They will lie about contracts, charges crept up every month

When I called to cancel, they told me I was on contract and started spewing out cancelation charges. There is NOTHING on the paperwork you sign that has a yearly contract information. I even have an email from my sales guy (before I signed up) that confirms there was no contract, and no early termination fees. Be wary, the service is mediocre, and they will absolutely try to cheat you if you cancel with them.

Pros

Local sales guy was nice, appeared to be knowledgeable.

Cons

We used them for about 6 months. My monthly % cost went up every month (from about 2.8% to 3.7%), and I had to call for repeated errors where my deposit did not match my batch. I had to check the deposits and batches over days and weeks to make sure we were actually getting the correct money deposited.

Hello — Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We’re sorry to hear that your experience with Shift4 hasn’t met your expectations. Please know that your feedback is vital to us, and we would like the opportunity to address your concerns and make things right. We encourage you to reach out to us at reviews@shift4.com with your contact information and issue details and we'll ensure it's escalated. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We are committed to learning from our mistakes and enhancing our services to better serve our customers.

BC

Bret C.

Sporting Goods, 1-10 employees

Horrible Fraud Protection and Customer Service

They took $309.99 from my business bank account as a "chargeback" for an attempted fraudulent purchase that I identified and rejected after discussing the issue with their customer service, so I was never actually paid in the first place. They said my chargback was reversed in my favor but they were holding my money for 6 months. 7 months later I still don't have my money and I've wasted so much time that I'd much rather be spent with my business or family. No response from emails and only empty promises from phone calls.

Pros

The website builder was easy to use and was the promise of a one-stop-shopping place for my web hosting and credit card processing sounded great.

Cons

Horrible fraud protection. I easily saw that the ZIP code on the billing address was wrong, so why can't they verify the billing address before accepting sales and causing a hassle to fix later. Customer service is horrible. I was constantly on hold or bounced around to different departments.

Hi Bret - We're very sorry to hear you're having a chargeback issue. We'd love to help get things resolved as quickly as possible. We've taken the steps to escalate your account internally and someone will be reaching out to you today. Additionally, if you need immediate assistance, we encourage you to utilize our live chat support feature to get a quick response: shift4.com/support

ED

Emilio D.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Shift 4 costs over $12,000 per year and it fails my business plus there is no support

Horrible

Pros

Nothing - I am sure there are better services for less cost

Cons

Bad support, and dis-functional credit card terminal A80

Hi Emilio — We're very sorry to hear about your frustrations and we want to help get it resolved ASAP. Please reach out to us at reviews@shift4.com with your contact information and issue details and we'll ensure it's escalated. And, as always, you can reach us 24/7 via live chat: shift4.com/support

EF

Eric F.

No hastle processing.

Great. No issues is just what the Doctor ordered.

Pros

I had no idea how to start and the set up was easy, fast and I get reliable processing for less than other companies quoted.

Cons

No complaints so far. All my transactions have been smooth.

Hi Eric We're so happy to hear that you've had a positive experience with Shift4. Thank you for leaving a review!

CE

Callie E.

Great Software!

I have a overall great experience with Shift 4.

Pros

Easy to use and understand. Great customer support.

Cons

I do not have any cons so far on this software.

Hi Callie — Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share your experience with Shift4. Our priority is customer service and we're happy to hear that we met that mark!

MS

Mandi S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Great Tool

Pros

Ease to print daily totals as well as research transactions.

Cons

Every once in a while we would connect to a customer service rep that would not be helpful or find but mostly the customer service agents were very helpful to work with.

DB

Dale B.

Construction, self-employed

Needs a good overall report for people that enter data every few days

Pros

Good value for the money, less fees then Quickbooks

Cons

Reporting. I want a report that shows me Total deposit amount, what transactions were included and what fees were taken. If you want to see that you have to look at multiple reports, it's very confusing and difficult to enter info into our accounting software.

Hi Dale. We're so happy to hear that you've had a positive experience with Shift4. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We're always looking for ways to improve, and will take this valuable feedback into consideration!

mR

milton R.

Restaurants, 1-10 employees

Shift4 POS: Elevating Service at Rico's Chicken

Pros

The standout aspect of Shift4 POS at Rico's Chicken is its comprehensive functionality. It offers a seamless blend of sales processing, inventory management, and customer tracking. This all-in-one system simplifies operations, allowing us to focus more on customer service and less on administrative tasks.

Cons

In our journey with Shift4 POS, we haven't encountered any significant drawbacks. It integrates well with our workflow, proving to be a reliable and efficient tool for our restaurant's daily needs.

KH

Kasi H.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Shift 4 is a must have for any business with a night audit process.

It put all the numbers we need together to make sure that our night audit is correct. It makes the whole process easy as can be.

Pros

The software is so easy to learn and use.

Cons

I cant think of anything I would change at all. It seems to be perfect for us.

Thank you for the fantastic review, Kasi! We're glad to hear that you're happy with Shift4.

LH

Liana H.

This is exceptional program

We all love this program

Pros

Not only is it easy to use but you dont have to be computer smart to understand this program .

Cons

When we run a third party credit card and say we got anchargeback when going on dollars on the net it will only say the third partys name not the name under the reservation

KT

Katalin T.

Hospitality, 201-500 employees

Shift 4 For Payment Processing

This is a very efficient software for processing credit card payments for our Hospitality and Food and Beverage industry.

Pros

This software is easy to use on a daily bases. Quick and good customer service.

Cons

I have not experienced any issues with this service for the past 5 years I have been using it.

SC

Summer C.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Excellent software for secure card storage & processing

Pros

I like how fast, secure and user friendly this software is.

Cons

This is nitpicking, but I think the graphics can be improved, they seem outdated.

Hi Summer — We're so happy to hear that you've had a positive experience with Shift4. Thank you for leaving a review!

MD

Mohan D.

Worst company & worst software

we had force to use this company from our franchise, we are missing 5 months american express transaction.. they are not willing to help .. always blaming processing company or american express company .. where has problem with shift4.. I would not recommended do any business

Pros

nil

Cons

nothing