Square Point of Sale Logo

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

Square Point of Sale Reviews - Page 2

1,827 reviews

Love Square POs

Pros

The POS system is simple and easy to use hands down. The use of our POS integrated with online, loyalty program, marketing, and payroll is a one stop shop integrated and makes life simple and streamlined!

Cons

We paid the original higher cost for the register when it first came out. The price just dropped $200 this week. Our rate remains lower so it will pay for the difference over time since grandfathered in....not much we don’t Ice about this wonderful easy, all in one system!

Great POS System for new companies.

Square has done wonders for our small business, it has almost everything you would need for a new business but there is somethings I didn't quite like. The system is great but there are some issues. To actually have track your inventory and have it sync up with Quickbooks required us to purchase Quickbooks online to be able to track our inventory and sync our daily sales. It was a little of a hassle...

Pros

Efficient, reliable, on the go app, easy to use, great for any store, easy to track your sales, keep costumer information that are repeats and order frequently, design and layout is simple and very easy on the eyes, it has two versions to layout your items, either a grid or a list so it is a personal preference of which you like to use, deposits your money that night.

Cons

Can't sync with Quickbooks unless you have Quickbooks Online, sometimes takes a while to start up and get going, the card swipe is very picky you HAVE to swipe it straight through or it doesn't accept the card (something that should be resolved soon I hope!) I just wish it wasn't only able to be used on Apple too. I am not a huge fan of Apple products. I would prefer to use a Samsung or Andriod tablet rather then a Ipad, but that is just a personal preference.

Excellent as a cash register for small businesses

At the ice cream parlor I work at, the register is programmed with all of the items we sell. You can program buttons to create discounts either by a percentage of the sale or with a flat dollar amount. This program tracks sales by day and by product sold. We have used this for probably 2 years now and it allows us to track sales from the years past to see what the trends are. For example, how busy...

Pros

This is an easily programmable software that can be used to create a point of sale register. I work at a coffee/ice cream parlor and we use the software for our register, and it stores our sales information and has been very helpful in marketing and determining what products have been selling well or poorly

Cons

I don't know if there's anything I don't like about this program. It's user friendly and I haven't really found any limitations or holdbacks to our business because of this

Great for vendor fairs

I’ve had zero issues with square. I’m always confident when I’m selling using the app, it’s so easy and the credit card rates are average.

Pros

The Square chip reader is so easy to use. It’s reliable, fast, user friendly, and easy to set up. It holds a charge and looks great when checking out customers on my iPhone. My Shopify reader is so unreliable, even though I use it for e-commerce, I always revert to square when on the road.

Cons

I wish there was a way to streamline the inventory tracking. I have a nail polish line with over 40 colors. It’s impossible to scroll and find each product to track. I always just use quick sale option.

There's room for improvement, but it's currently THE Point of Sale

Overall, as an independent artist, I'd recommend Square in a blink to anyone in that position. Free reader, easy to use, mobile...It's perfect. For small businesses, I'd also suggest Square - I've worked with the alternative, Clover, and it's so very slow and not as user friendly - but I think Square needs to continue evolving to keep up with those demands. And I'm sure they will given they've already created the flippable platform.

Pros

Square is simple to use and that's what makes it so popular. The card readers are simple, organizing your inventory is simple. It works really well for me as an independent artist at art fairs and such. I've never run into any trouble using it in that context. The new flip screen platform is also super wonderful for retail stores and cafes as it takes the pressure off of the employee and the awkwardness of asking for tips etc... disappates. It also seems to run smoother by virtue of the platform not running other apps. Definitely love that Square is expanding their market to meet the needs of larger companies.

Cons

It gets overloaded and laggy pretty quickly when used in a more dense environment. When I've used Square at small businesses as a sales employee, I've experienced lag between pressing on an item and having it go to the item menu or add to the cart. Also, the free square readers that go into your audio jack are awfully temperamental with continued use and you either have to keep re-ordering them, or just buckle down and buy a reader. The only time the latter hasn't worked was when I had to be mobile while taking orders. An ISBN scanner would also be super cool integration and would allow Square to be used in more places.

I use it daily, very powerful tool, although limited.

It is very easy to bill and collect money, reminders in invoicing are a great tool too. I wish it was a little more sophisticated on the day to day things, and in reports, but it in contrary has a sophisticated approach when it comes to employee management etc, which are features we do not use at my company.

Pros

We use it daily for invoicing or POS sales. It is very convenient to swipe a card or send someone an invoice in seconds. I wish reporting was a little more detailed, but other than that, we are very happy with it.

Cons

Reporting is limited, you can get to an itemized list but I feel that you have to try hard for it. Also, I'd like to be able to send the same invoice to two different emails, it can happen through mirroring, but it is not my preferable way for doing so.

In combination with an online shop, Square has more pros than competitors

As stated above, Square has had numerous pros for me when it comes to my apparel business.

Pros

I love Square and have been a loyal user of Square POS & Square payments. For starters, Square is what helped pave the path for me to be able to launch my clothing / apparel business outside of Etsy. I wanted to launch my own site, have independence away from online marketplaces, and have control over my payments, sales, invoices, etc., and Square is what gave me this opportunity. I am able to do everything...

Cons

I have no cons; Square has been my go-to payment processing software and I will not switch in the future.

Square is the best solution for being able to accept credit/debit cards for small businesses

Like I said, it was rocky to start with because smartphones and that kind of tech were not openly out in everyday life. but once that changed, acceptance of Square did as well. Wonderful product!

Pros

- It's easy to use. - I have never had a situation where something had to be refunded. - I've never heard of a complaint from someone who's card was used for a transaction. - super affordable! - Intuitive

Cons

when Square first came out, people were cautious and skeptical. I maybe only performed several transactions in the first couple years. then I stopped using it entirely for a bit, not because of square, but because the public in our area was just not up to date with "modern technologies" lol. Now in the age of technology where everyone has a smart phone people are more than willing to pay somewhere that uses Square.

Favorite Software!

EXCELLENT my business is thriving using square!

Pros

I love everything about Square! I use square for point of sale, online ordering, invoicing, and appointments! This product is simply amazing and helps me be more efficient in business each day! I love how easy it is to use. I love how all of the other parts like invoicing, appointments, etc all links back to one account keeping everything in order. I can’t even imagine doing business without square.

Cons

I do not have any cons. I do see that the pricing of tiers for using Square Appointments is increasing in a few months. I am prepared for this change so it’s not a big deal. Honestly, square helps so much with proficiency, I do not mind paying the extra for services!

Perfect for Small Businesses

Since using Square for my small business, I have felt more professional and organized. I was using PayPal before this, and I just felt like my customers deserved better. Square gave me options that I did not have with PayPal and made my transaction process smooth and seamless.

Pros

I love that Square is so easy to use and set up. I run a small company where I sell customized products. Square is perfect because for my company because of the low fees, quick set-up and free initial square reader. In addition, the inventory control option is just so amazing and simple. I can add and control inventory (even add photos) from the app with ease. I can also create and edit prices while creating customer inventories. Square helps my small business feel professional.

Cons

There is nothing I do not like about Square. It is the most professional off all inexpensive point of sales and is perfect for a small business.

Can now accept payments in person, as well as, online

Square helps businesses grow and track sales through their app. With reader, you can accept payments on the go so you'll never miss a sale. I bump into potential customers in grocery stores, paying my cable bill or while at the doctor's office etc.

Pros

I have used Square for 3 years. I found them while searching for web site builders. I was happy when I located them and read through their policy. Aside from setting up and designing my site, Square provided me with a reader. I plug it into my phone and swipe credit cards. The payments are in my account within two days minus a small fee for using Square's pos reader. I use it along with the app, you can also enter credit/debit cards manually and have the customer sign the screen. I email the customers their receipt. If a customer pays in cash, I can still take the payment and enter cash instead of paying by card. I still send them a receipt. I can set up gift cards and discounts to items online but I choose not to. I keep my items priced low enough to avoid these incentives.

Cons

They provided me a free reader, decals to stick on my register and window. I have no issues with this company. They are great.

Great for accepting payments in person and online

The ability to accept payments in person without a long and intimidating application process is revolutionary and has helped us accept payments in person and also remotely when needed.

Pros

Square was our first payment processor after Paypal once this industry started innovating. At the time there was no API so it wasn't a complete solution but now they've caught up. The convenient device to accept payments at in person and the ability to key in payments through the app are still a USP of Square.

Cons

Square was a bit slow to get their API and start to integrate with 3rd parties so a lot of our online traffic shifted elsewhere. How ever this isn't a negative about the software as now they have a ton of great features. Nothing bad to say except integration with more online sites and invoicing software would be welcomed.

A great product for a small retail business

I log into Square every day to check the sales of our coffee shop, as I don't work there day to do, but lead the management team. I use the various reporting tools weekly as well, to track how we are doing compared the previous weeks and years.

Pros

The software has a very low buy in cost and if you aren't processing payment through them it is free. But in the end the best way to use it is to process credit card directly through your Square POS. It was so easy for our staff, but no real POS experience, to figure out how to setup our coffee shop using square. The way you are able to build in all the variables that make up what you charge the customer took the guess work out of things for our person running the POS. In the end, it meant errors in charging the customer were eliminated. We also love that the customer can reply back directly to us via their email or text receipt. Giving us feedback and allowing us to refund them if they had a negative experience.

Cons

The rewards program has changed a couple times and it was a little confusing for the customers how to use it in the past. though a recent update fixed a lot of that for us.

It works really well with the same price per swipe as it was 3 years ago

The swipe fee is the same as it was years ago when I started using it. They have not started adding all sorts of hidden fees. It is easy to use and works well.

Pros

Very easy to use and they are good about depositing money into my bank account. It is easy to train someone how to use it and it is very portable. It is also easy to use online.

Cons

It is hard to check the history of credit card payments by client. If I see a client has a balance due. It is hard to check if they paid by credit card. I can not search by client name.

Amazing Analytics and Simple UI make this an Easy Choice for Small Business Owners

I inherited this software and POS software and hardware from the previous owner of my current business. Within a week I was a whizz at it. I love the reporting functions of the software above all but can also see it is customizable on the fly. Whereas many software packages are prescriptive to the business owner ("your new software can do xyz") I have found Square flexible and amenable to my needs as the business owner ("I the business owner can make the software do xyz just in the way I want it the process to be completed"). Huge difference!

Pros

I LOVE the ability to see previous sales trends and analyse current inventory consumption. If you are an idiot, you could make this software functionable and powerful in minutes. At the end of each day, the software sends you a report going over the day's sales and does so on an hour by hour basis. I have found Square POS to be a mighty assistant and even a powerful collaborator in growing my business, and couldn't run my burgeoning ice cream parlor without it.

Cons

I have had some problems with the use of electronic gift cards (obtainable through third party sellers) and the customer support has been a bit less-than-optimal. We discontinued use of the freshly purchased giftcards (price: $50) and instead substituted an old-fashioned but charming home-printer generated gift card system instead.

Highly recommended!

I love Square! We've used it for years and will continue to use it at our events.

Pros

Square is easy to use and very reliable. I love that I can send out user codes to volunteers at our fundraising events and not worry about sharing a main login in order to have multiple people collecting money for our organization. We use Square at all of our fundraising events and it is very reliable. It is also very easy to train a new person on how to use the Square app and reader, which is very important at events when I have volunteers who've never used Square before. The dashboard is easy to navigate and the reports are easy to read. Square's fees are very reasonable and they are very good about providing Square reader devices for point of sale transaction.

Cons

The standard Square readers don't work with the latest Apple iPhones that lack the phone jack. This can be challenging so it's good to check with volunteers before an event to get an idea of what type of phone they have. For large events or occasions when lots of transactions happen in a short time frame it can get hard to see who paid for an item or to match up transactions to items sold. If you do need to track who bought an item or if a transaction was for multiple items (like a person who won several items in a silent auction) then make sure to add notes and have documentation for your staff volunteers on how to add notes while running transaction, otherwise this because hard to sort out afterwards.

Great, but getting less so

We've been with Square since about 2011, and have seen a lot of changes take place over that time. Square is still easily one of the best solutions out there for small businesses that want to pay when they profit, instead of draining out to a merchant account or such, however recently it's also seen a trend towards "Form over Function" which is a bit troubling considering that it's sole focus should be ease of use by businesses for the purpose of minimizing overhead and increasing revenue.

Pros

Free app, pay when you make a sale, reliability is decent, don't have to purchase your own hardware. Still a strong contender despite it's more recent frustrations.

Cons

Square has reached a point of maturation in which it's starting to feel like they are inventing new "features" for the sake of doing so (or for the sake of justifying growth to investors), instead of focusing on issues that are most commonly stated in community forums, and requested daily to devs. which would actually help lead to increased market share. Square would rather overhaul the look of...

Square Point of Sale is vital for small business.

I'm able to use this in multiple ways, by having subscription customers who get a few loaves of bread every week or a dessert tray every month, without having to invoice separately. It's all just handled with the subscription feature. It's another stream of income that is really handy. I love everything about Square.

Pros

It's inexpensive and easy to use. I can train someone on it in moments or not have to train them at all because it is just that easy to use.

Cons

I think it's overall the best in the business, hard to find anything "wrong" with it.

New SQUARE Dedicated POS system is great -- Just needs expansion modules

I can look at reporting from my house, most other POS systems don't allow for that. I can also add to and take from my inventory and item list, I don't have to be tied to my facility to make it work.

Pros

It's simple to setup, simple to use and most importantly -- simple to train. It's so intuitive that the staff took to it in less than 5 minutes of training. Also, because their dedicated POS system "Square Register" is purpose built, we are able to use iphones and ipads to do tableside ordering which makes the workflow and throughput of the bar stools that much faster.

Cons

The reporting is not granular enough with time. You have to find out the hard way, when you want reporting from 9am on Monday through 2am on Tuesday, you have to run two separate reports. And to top it off, you have to learn the hard way that when you select an hour, it will show you everything through XX:59:59 of that hour, if you select the next hour, you're adding that hour's data to your report. They should offer software updates to improve reporting and maybe consider add-ons that are industry specific.

Get your moneys worth with Square

Pros

I like that it is portable; you don't need to connect it to a computer to run. I like that you can add items to keep track of what you sell. I like that the processing fees are lower than other POS systems.

Cons

I wish it didn't have to rely on wifi to process payments and could work on LTE when away from the desk. Even with the offline capabilities, you don't know if the payments when through correctly until you re-connect to wifi for them to process. I wish it could connect to the software program we use to accept payments via the web.

Easy and helpful

Pros

I use Square to accept all credit card payments when I'm at events. I took the time beforehand to enter all the different local state taxes and enter all of the items I sell. I especially like that I can list items for sale and not attach a price so if I need to change prices on the fly, I can just key in the new or updated price at the event.

Cons

The only thing I could complain about is the option to export or print out an invoice for each individual transaction. For tax purposes (and for my own records), I like to have a copy of each sale in print or pdf form that includes the customer name and what specifically I sold them. I sell big-ticketed items, so it's important for me to keep track of everything. When I contacted customer service, they were kind enough, but their solution was to take a screenshot of the info I was looking for. That's fine and all, but not really what I was looking for. When I'm at an event making a sale, I need to know more info than just the fact that someone bought something from me... anyway. Just a suggestion.

A total game changer for artists

Square POS enabled me to start taking credit card and debit payments for my work at public events, which revolutionized my business!

Pros

In the days before Square, if you were selling your wares at a craft show or art show or some sort of public event, you were limited to cash. Cash only. Square POS was and is a total game changer for those markets. Being an artist who sells his work at a lot of different shows and events, having the ability to accept credit payments (originally) and (more recently) debit transactions has not only lead to significantly more sales but also lead to more satisfied customers! Additionally, it integrates beautifully with Ecwid, to facilitate online credit payments for my website store front.

Cons

This isn't really a con of the Square reader or POS itself, but just a general point that you need to have a good solid wifi or cellular connection. Personally, I have never had an issue but always relying on my cellular connection instead of the available wifi at an event.

Nothing easier!

Pros

Wow -- we went from an expensive merchant credit account with expensive fees above and beyond transaction fees. The device/software was very inexpensive to move to. Moving to Square reduced costs significantly and transaction fees were well in line with the "discount" rates we were getting before -- without all the other fees. Because we're not handling credit card data in house, it also reduced our needs for managing compliance. It's easy to mobilize staff, the interface is simple, and the account can also be pulled up on a computer other device with a browser.

Cons

We had to purchase a new Square reader device when credit card technology evolved to chip, but I don't know that Square could have really done anything about building a device to handle the physical aspect of the technology change at the time they created the initial hardware. It wasn't a significant cost to upgrade the obsolete device to a chip version. It had no impact on the application.

Easy, convenient, and incredible!

Square has been a great experience to use and I will continue to use it for years to come. The ability to send text confirmations to customers and an email to the client simultaneously has increased my business tenfold! Easy to use and easy to access features make running business simple and easy for not only myself but my workers as well. It is HIPAA compliant and works great for any and all business models. Put simply this is a solid 10/10 software!

Pros

Square POS has been the most helpful feature for my small business. I have used Square on a daily basis for about a year and am still blown away by the features. Square links easily with any type of smartphone and the easy to use website makes handling the day to day business routine a breeze. Features include an appointment calendar, online booking, sales tracking, item tracking, payments, and much more!

Cons

The only downside I personally have experienced with this software is that Square does not do tiered pricing. For my business, I have a tiered cost for service (I.E. Tier 1 equals $, Tier 2 equals $$, Tier 3 equals $$$). This makes it difficult for online booking services and scheduling appointments. Luckily, you can put in discounted rates to help make the price accurate which is easy to setup but can effect your end of year outlook if you use Square alone to follow your income.

No Better Tool for Small Businesses or Artists

Pros

When I worked on commission as an artist, mostly scraping by a living by selling my wares at conventions or craft shows, Square was the single best companion I had. Not only was I cleared to take every type of credit card imaginable, which was amazing, but the customizability of the POS interface was stellar. I could prompt my customers to tip. I could quickly and easily change prices on my inventory,...

Cons

If I had to pick something I didn't like - and this is a stretch for me to do - it would be that the price for the dock and software can be steep for someone just getting started as an artist. But seeing as you get far more value than what you pay, I can barely call that a "con". This is a very safe investment.