Square Point of Sale Logo

Square Point of Sale

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

Square Point of Sale Reviews - Page 3

1,861 reviews

Easy, convenient, and incredible!

Square has been a great experience to use and I will continue to use it for years to come. The ability to send text confirmations to customers and an email to the client simultaneously has increased my business tenfold! Easy to use and easy to access features make running business simple and easy for not only myself but my workers as well. It is HIPAA compliant and works great for any and all business models. Put simply this is a solid 10/10 software!

Pros

Square POS has been the most helpful feature for my small business. I have used Square on a daily basis for about a year and am still blown away by the features. Square links easily with any type of smartphone and the easy to use website makes handling the day to day business routine a breeze. Features include an appointment calendar, online booking, sales tracking, item tracking, payments, and much more!

Cons

The only downside I personally have experienced with this software is that Square does not do tiered pricing. For my business, I have a tiered cost for service (I.E. Tier 1 equals $, Tier 2 equals $$, Tier 3 equals $$$). This makes it difficult for online booking services and scheduling appointments. Luckily, you can put in discounted rates to help make the price accurate which is easy to setup but can effect your end of year outlook if you use Square alone to follow your income.

No Better Tool for Small Businesses or Artists

Pros

When I worked on commission as an artist, mostly scraping by a living by selling my wares at conventions or craft shows, Square was the single best companion I had. Not only was I cleared to take every type of credit card imaginable, which was amazing, but the customizability of the POS interface was stellar. I could prompt my customers to tip. I could quickly and easily change prices on my inventory,...

Cons

If I had to pick something I didn't like - and this is a stretch for me to do - it would be that the price for the dock and software can be steep for someone just getting started as an artist. But seeing as you get far more value than what you pay, I can barely call that a "con". This is a very safe investment.

Great choice for rental business

We are a water sports rental company and we use Square for our on site rental locations. Some of our locations are completely offline with no cell or internet service. Square has an offline mode that allows us to accept credit cards offline and charges once the device has service again. Obviously, you have to take a few precautions accepting cards offline but this feature is a must for us. Square has a fairly high card fee but the software is free and the readers are inexpensive. The system and reports makes it easy fro us to add customer profiles and get the info we need. The best part is you can simply switch from one device to the other and have multiple locations no problem and for no additional cost.

Pros

Easy to set up, it has basically every feature a POS software needs but makes it a little more simple. It's really easy go mobile and great as a back up for larger retail POS software in case a system is down. The Square POS is free to download. The card readers are inexpensive and look nice and again are easily transported and can switch from different devices. Inventory tracking and simple shortcut displays for quick check outs. Offline mode is a great feature.

Cons

The credit card fees are not the cheapest out there. Some of the UI could be better organized like adding a new customer. I think being able to connect card readers to a laptop would be convent as well as an app for laptops.

User Friendly!

Overall, I really enjoy using Square. It has been my payment processor from the beginning when I was a sole proprietor and I still use it as a small business owner with employees.

Pros

Square Point of Sale makes taking my business on the go super easy. I use it when I go to events as well as in the office. The best part is when I am at events that do not have WiFi I don't need to stress because Square offers an offline mode which allows me to take payment without internet access. The payments simply get processed as soon as I hook up to the internet.

Cons

If I could change anything about Square it would be to integrate several of their services for one price. Currently there is a cost for employee tracking as we as for scheduling and other services. As a business owner I like to keep things as simple as possible so it would be nice to have a package deal where I could choose all the services I want to use and have it available for one low cost.

Excellent for small businesses

I feel that this program really has provided my company with a resource that is necessary for running a small business. I love the UI design and that it's fast to learn right from the beginning. It didn't require any downtime to get to know it better. Additionally, my customers love how fast and easy it is to use and I feel it has been a big help for my company in the long run.

Pros

I am very happy with the easy to use app and features. The software really provides plenty of functions to keep tabs on those who shopped with me before and even allow me to keep an eye on what is running low in my inventory. There is a good spreadsheet created and I feel that it's reduced the time to keep things organized and faster to search for a specific item or customer when needed. I also really like that I don't need to train anyone to use this program or even myself. It's very simple to learn and makes my business run so much easier.

Cons

Sometimes the connection can be lost, making it a bit slower to get things done fast, but this is normal with most programs I've used. However, when this connection lost happens, it can cause a line to build up while waiting for everything to process. I don't have much more to say about the program and features, it's been pretty good other than the connection issue.

Square is definitely the best POS ever

Overall my experience with Square is excellent. Is the best POS, the best customer service, the best rates, I never had any troubles. And I use ir more than 7 years already.

Pros

The software is easy to use, has a lot of functionalities, reports, low rates, referral program, it’s all good.

Cons

I don’t have any complaints. Square is the best POS I ever saw. Has everything a company needs and more.

Love not dealing with credit card companies, but they should make the chip reader free

Having tried Quick Books for many years (which was too complicated for some in my business), Square is a breeze to use. It's immensely convenient for a small business, and has options for storing sale information when we don't have internet access, such is helpful to not burn through data.

Pros

Square is immensely easy to use and is very convenient. Having worked retail for many years and dealing with credit card companies and contracts and different fees and charge rates, it's very convenient having one flat fee all around which also covers the use of the square (-even though some of the credit card companies charged less, it's a convenience factor) . I also loved that the original card swiper was free, but they then charged for the card reader with the transition to chip cards (don't like that). I also like the option for tracking inventory and sales in the newer versions

Cons

I don't like that they now charge for a chip card reader.

Customers trust Square

It's been a clean and simple process from day one. Works seamlessly, integrates with all of our appropriate softwares, and has a competitive price.

Pros

It has a clean simple user interface both on the internal side of things and the customer facing side. Customers recognize square and are both familiar and comfortable processing payments here.

Cons

A few years ago we had problems with connecting devices to smart phones. Seems like these issues have been resolved. There also seems to be an error that occurs 9/10 times when trying to share an invoice link manually. It will send an email to the customer even if you select the option to send it manually. Not a deal breaker by any means, but sometimes we would like to send it via text and not email, but are forced to do both.

Overall Good But Inventory Management Severely Lacking & Weird Features Missing

Overall, if you can figure it out yourself, its a decent option, and better than a lot out there unfortunately. However, if you need to lean on support for anything, forget it. They won't give you the time of day, and aren't helpful AT ALL. Also get ready for inventory nightmares if you have tons of sku's. For restaurants, food carts, small food shops, it's excellent.

Pros

It's easy to use for just about anyone, works on multiple devices, has lots of nice options, and is a good cc percentage

Cons

Inventory management is a nightmare with square. It's not well thought out, to adjust any inventory is way too many clicks and just is completely ridiculous. It's almost like whoever designed it has never managed inventory in any way. Also they lock out certain features such as barcode printing isn't available if you have square for restaurants, but is if you have square for retail. Like a café doesn't have products to sell as well? SO bizarre. Support is AWFUL.

Get payments anywhere

Receive payments easily and anywhere

Pros

I love that I can take my Square device anywhere i need to go to treat patients or deliver a product and I can get paid. Love their customer service team. Always friendly and answer my questions completely.

Cons

The free swiper only works with Lightning ports so I had to purchase a small inexpensive Bluetooth model

Great, simple and easy to use P.O.S. for many types of businesses

Overall, I used the Square POS for a limited time but during that time I liked the simplicity of its interface and its clean look.

Pros

I used the Square POS system along with the Square contactless and chip reader. What I liked about this product is its simplistic yet clean look and fits well in my business - did not take up too much space. I also liked how easy it was to learn the actual POS system. It was not complicated and very straight forward and I was able to quickly get it setup for my needs. The learning curve is very simple and everyone at the company was able to pick it up with minimal experience. I liked the clean look of the interface itself and it is very organized.

Cons

A few problems that did stick out was the fact that sometimes the reader itself would need multiple tries in order to read a card correctly. It is not of the sturdiest material and that may have contributed to not working properly at times. Also, the merchant service fee per swipe is a bit on the pricey side at 2.75% per in person transaction (higher rate for keyed in transactions). There are cheaper options available but the convenience and availability of Square products are definitely something to keep in mind.

Great product

Excellent. I highly recommend this software especially for people who do regular monthly invoicing.

Pros

I have used this product for years and love it! All the different things you can do with this are amazing!

Cons

The only thing I haven’t liked it that if you want one of their small business loans through the app you just have to wait for them to offer you one. You can’t request one.

Square

Overall I like square and would recommend

Pros

Square makes it so easy for us to complete a point of sale order. A patient that comes in and wants to buy something in our showroom can choose what they want to purchase we have all our products (non serialized only) loaded in the square so it’s makes checkout quockc& easy. At month end we print out our square sales and add the square transaction into out practice management software. This so so successful that last month we ordered square registers for our additional 10 locations as we were only using it previously in our corporate office/store. All of our delivery personal also have square readers on there phones which allows them collects payments while at patients home.

Cons

I receive daily emails with square transactions for all our locations so I receive at least 50-100 emails a day.

Square is okay

It’s okay and easy to use. They charge too much however and I’m at starting to use other softwares.

Pros

I use it everyday for business purposes. It’s easy to use and I like being able to customize items to sell.

Cons

Square had a decent processing fee until this past month where they have charged much more for each individual transaction. Not too happy about it and I’m starting to use other apps to replace Square.

I use the Square for multiple businesses.

Overall, the Square Point of Sale is a low cost, easy to use, and very versatile software.

Pros

The Square is small, so it is easy to take anywhere. The Square can plug into any phone with a microphone jack, and is not specific to a brand or carrier. The app is free to download, and can be used with both mobile phones and tablets. Using the app can be as simple as just typing in the total amount, or amounts for specific items can be programmed into the app, so the prices are pulled up with a click of a button. The money is sent directly to your bank account.

Cons

The stripe reader seems to get worn out fairly quickly. The charge to swipe the credit card is fair, but if you have to type the card in due to the worn out reader, or a worn our card the fee is higher. I tend to do more over the phone charges with one business, and the fee can get pretty high.

I LOVE SQUARE!

Square has made it super simple as a small business owner to get started and to keep track of my accounting.

Pros

I am a small business owner and square is so easy and affordable and it allows me to access all kinds of information about my business that I would have no idea that I needed until later when it was difficult to gather that information. Its affordable and is set up so I pay for my fees as I go with each transaction instead of a huge fee at the beginning or end of the month. It is also easy for me to...

Cons

I wish that I could somehow accept payments through Venmo as well as PayPal. I also sometimes have trouble syncing updates for products from my computer to my phone but not the other way around and I haven't quite figured out if I'm doing something wrong or not.

Don't be a Square, use Square POS

Great. I will continue to use them.

Pros

It is a great platform that is constantly evolving. As pioneers of the mobile payment industry, caterers are easily able to accept payment for bars, food trucks, etc. Extremely user friendly.

Cons

They are hard to get in touch with support especially when needed.

Square Is the Best on the Market

Overall, we'd highly recommend Square. It's a great platform. There are great reporting features.

Pros

We use Square POS at our restaurant. We love the easy layout and clean design. There is almost no learning curve, either, to train new staff.

Cons

I wish that there was more functionality between Square and our reservations software. We've tried to integrate the two without success.

Simple, Transparent, Informative

The SquareRegister POS provides a very simple, plug and go solution for setting up and using a cash register. It is very straightforward in setting up inventory, items, and employees. As a fast-paced, men's barber shop, we need sales transactions to be quick and easy, and SquareRegister POS delivers! Since management is off-site, we rely on excellent Dashboard reporting to keep us informed for remote management. The Employee Management modules to allow us to easily track sales by the employee (barber) for payroll purposes. The transparency of real-time credit card fees is another key component to running a small, growing business with no surprises!

Pros

We like the real-time look into the day's activity. With the Employee management module, it allows us to easily determine if we are over/under staffed at any point in our day. Being able to track the sales by year/month/week/day, we can more confidently create future staffing plans. The Sales Trend reporting provides a comparison to the previous day/week/month/year. Having the detail reporting from the Dashboard takes away the perceived notion of the health of my business and replaces it with factual data.

Cons

1. There is no 'Void' sale, only a 'Refund', so cashier errors are not accounted for. The sales that are 'refunded' show in my Gross Sales. 2. To track Sales per Employee (with Employee Management), each Employee has to log on and bring up his/her own sale. If 2 or more employees should get credit for the items one customer buys, then each sale/employee must be rung up separately (logging on) and the customer's card swiped (read) multiple times.

Selling goods? Square POS is for you! Fast, easy, and uncomplicated.

Pros

I am a freelance business, so whenever clients want to pay with credit card, I have Square as one my options. I also use an invoicing software that takes credit cards as well as an online website that run through a different system. Square was the first system I used when I first started out and it's a solid system, but I've found better alternatives throughout the years though I still use it occasionally....

Cons

No ability to create invoices for services. I have the old Square attachment for my phone and it doesn't take the new chip cards. I have to purchase the new one in order to process those cards and that's kind of a nuisance.

A Great Program

Overall, I love Square and the ideas they have rolling. I would be more inclined to use Square if it were a bit more organized and user-friendly. They have many more options than PayPal but, need to sharpen these options up in order to really pull ahead in the game.

Pros

I love the ease of use that comes with this program. The fact that I can send invoices from my account through my phone or computer makes my busy life that much easier. I love the fact that they have payroll now. I also love the reports you can generate and print out, it makes tax time a breeze. Square has quite a few more options than PayPal which is why it's hard to choose between the two sometimes. Where they beat out PayPal the most is allowing much easier payments for those not signed up with their program.

Cons

The biggest aspect I noticed was that the entire program seemed a little unorganized. I'm sure they have a lot of great ideas of where the software could go. However, it seems like they tried to do too much too quickly and it turned a little messy in the process. Some functions are available on mobile that aren't easy to find on PC and vice versa. The invoice parameters I set on PC didn't carry over to mobile so I had to setup both. This isn't a huge deal but, it would be nice for all aspects of the account to sync up. I use Paypal for my second business and find it much easier to use for about the same cost. PayPal doesn't offer as much which is why I think Square has some real potential if they slow down and really round out the options they already have.

An Extremely User Friendly Product

Square gives us the ability to step away from the cashiering station and focus on the more important things that come with running a business. We can trust that the reports at the end of the night will keep us up to date with how everything is going and will keep our users accountable for the transactions.

Pros

This software is by far some of the simplest to use. The majority of the people who use our system are our volunteers here at the theater, and they are not always the best when it comes to technology. However with just a small amount of training, even they feel comfortable selling our snacks and drinks at intermission of our performances. It is also so very easy to add new items and keep track of inventory.

Cons

We do not have a receipt printer set up with our system because the majority of our patrons are okay with the receipt going to their email, but it would be nice if there was a way to print out receipts on a regular printer when necessary. Technically, we can go into the system after the fact, pull up the transaction, and print the receipt that way, but we do not always have the time to do so. So if there was a way to send the receipt to a normal printer over WiFi, that would be ideal.

I love it!

I love it and have been happy with the service I have received and the cost for the last 5+ years.

Pros

This product is easy to use and maneuver around. It offers many aspects and tools that are good for all different kinds of businesses. I love that it is mobile and able to be used anywhere! I felt like it was easy to use from the start and has integrated well with the other software that I use for my business.

Cons

Honestly, I am very happy with it. For my small business, it has everything i need to have a simple point of sale system. The only thing I don’t like is how much you have to dig Into the FAQ’s to get answers. I wish it was easier to get questions answered or talk to customer service. Thankfully this hasn’t been a problem I haven’t encountered very much though.

Square changed our Business when our business went through a change

The best Credit Card processor and a whole lot more!

Pros

Straightforward product and fees, no guess work. We will never use traditional credit card processing ever again. Traditional credit card processing is riddled with false claims and hidden fees. Square does not do this at all, I get paid the next day in full and they provide to me free of charge an olineline presence with a shopping cart...FREE How cool. Oh and did I mention that it all runs on an IPAD and IPHONe. I can make and collect money anywhere. It also works with no internet. Perfect product for us.

Cons

We wish the shopping cart were integrated into Infusionsoft and Rezovation (our hotel reservation system,) Also, we wish it could inventory items that we use in the business that we do not sell like bottles, corks, supplies.

Used and loved daily

99% positive! Some minor issues with features lacking on mobile, but I know this is likely temporary as Square has the money and size to get new software features out regularly.

Pros

I am very pleased with the abilities to track activities with clients, record notes about the service, capture payment, financial and activity reports, and easily tie in the financial info to my bank account and QuickBooks.

Cons

Clients each have their own client card for info and interaction tracking, these cards can then be grouped with custom-named groups, but I find inconsistencies with groups between desktop and mobile, with mobile lacking in some regards. This is unfortunate because I use this product mostly on mobile. Because of the shortcomings I must complete my work once I get home on desktop. I wish I could do it all easily on mobile.