Square Point of Sale Logo

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

Square Point of Sale Reviews - Page 4

1,827 reviews

I Highly Recommend Square

Pros

I love how easy it is to setup Square and immediately be able to accept credit cards literally anywhere. We have the Square stand (point of sale setup) and also on all of our mobile devices to be able to accept payments on the go as well. The processing fees are low and after about a year or so they also will offer you a business loan (advance) through Square Capital based on the volume of your sales and take a small additional fee from each credit card transaction until it's paid off.

Cons

There is really not much of anything I don't like with Square, but if I had to pick one thing I would say the most recent software update does not play well with the Apple iOS 12.1 update, but I am quite sure that it will be fixed very shortly

Dependable and Easy to Use

Square has provided my business the ability to accept credit cards without the hassle of a contract and batch fees. It has also allowed me to track sales while away from the store. I am also using the following features provided by Square: Payroll, Loyalty Program and Marketing. For my business, it has been an all around wonderful and important part of our daily business.

Pros

I love that it is always available and the money is in my account the next day. If I need it faster, I can also do an instant deposit that has the money in my account immediately.

Cons

My least favorite feature is not really the software, but the customer support. Would be useful if they provided the ability to chat online for any issues that arise. Luckily, I have only tried to contact customer support a couple of times over the course of 9 years.

I love my Square Point of Sale!

My experience with Square Point of Sale has been nothing but positive. It doesn't have any system glitches or any problems.

Pros

I have used Square Point of Sale for over 2 years and it has never disappointed me. I love that the software is easy to use. I have never had to use customer service for any issues I have had because I've never had any. It is very simple to use and it is great for taking customer transactions over the phone. You can type in the card and easily just charge the card. The card swiper is very convenient and attaches to my phone for use anywhere on the go. I also find that it works well with my phones service. I don't have issues with connection that would require me to connect it to wifi. I also like that I am not paying a monthly fee to use the service. Square only takes a little as a transaction fee from each transaction.

Cons

I don't like when it has timed me out when I haven't used the app on my phone for a while and I have to think about what my password is. It's a pain if you are in a hurry and getting ready for an event. I think a fingerprint sign-in would be great to make it faster if you do forget your password and your short on time.

Square POS - for Community Theatre bar

Very good. I am the (volunteer) bar manager for Elmira Theatre Company. Square POS allows me to process transactions for the bar - cash, debit and credit as payment. I also purchased the Square POS system - iPad, stand, cash drawer and credit/debit card reader - package. Works like a dream!

Pros

very easy to use very easy to set up and configure no monthly fees - only a flat rate discount on credit / debit card POS transactions

Cons

The daily credit / debit transactions are deposited the next business day; this works fine for a business, but not for a not for profit. We only have POS sales when we have show performances - three shows per year, three weekends (Thursday - Sunday) for each show. Thursday's sales are deposited on Friday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday sales are deposited on Monday - as three separate deposits. Our bank account service fee structure only allows for a fixed number of free deposit transactions. Some months the Square POS deposits resulted in additional bank service charges... BUT now, Square has added an option to turn off automatic daily deposits and manually sned the total funds on hand when I choose. Not sure when they added this feature, but it will help a lot.

Great for any small to medium sized retailer

We used this system to accept payment when on the go at farmers markets, for tracking cash payment, retail sales to coffee shops, and as payment for business transactions. It performed great under these scenarios and I would recommend it to any small business trying to operate in this capacity. While I cannot speak to its use on a larger scale I am under the impression it would hold its own.

Pros

The flexibility of payment types Great ease of use especially on the go Customers trust this method of taking payments Made accepting payments for any type of business easy Easy to plug in and accept payment and response time is great if you have cell service Flat rate option is great once a certain business volume is reached

Cons

There is not much bad I can say about this software. For its intended purpose, it performs wonderfully. It may not be the perfect POS system for your business but generally speaking if suits a very broad spectrum of business needs.

Great POS Solution for Mobile Business Needs

Overall the product has been very dependable and configurable to handle all of our credit card processing needs in remote locations far from our hardwired point of sale workstations.

Pros

Square allows us to process customer cards virtually anywhere in the world as long as we have cell connectivity.

Cons

The only limitations we have seen to this point are based around our limited usage of the software. Square has been deployed to process customer cards away from our dedicated point of sale terminals (separate software systems) and in order to have proper GL accounting in our dedicated POS systems we are re-creating the transactions in those clients and referencing our square terminals as payment. A minor inconvenience for a large solution.

Would recommend for every business of any size

Pros

Ease of use. Products available for any size of business.

Cons

Not much I would change. We often wish the price wasn't more expensive if the payers card is not present. Should be the same cost either way in our opinion.

Taking payments just got easier.

I have used Square as my primary point of sale to accept payments for some time now and it continues to be the only point of sale I use to accept credit cards.

Pros

Square is more than a point of sale. Square allows you to not only collect payment via a credit card, but also lets you do it in more ways than one. Use the card swipe device or enter the card manually. You can invoice your customers and pre-configure to have a list of items to pull into the invoice without having to manually entire complete descriptions. Square also lets you create categories, modifiers and discounts to your list of items. Keep all your customers at your fingertips with a list you can manage. And keep track of it all with sales and deposit reports.

Cons

There are no cons I can speak of, as Square has been able to process just about any credit card, and debit card. Unfortunately debit cards will be processed as a credit card, so if your customer would like to use it, they will not be able to treat the transaction as a debit transaction. Other than that, there are no real cons I can think of.

I dont know why it took me so long to try!

It gave my business a really nice boost in revenue that i didn't realize i was loosing all along.

Pros

So the first thing about this POS system is that it so user friendly and easy to use! When I first though about using a POS system I was worried about having to learn about accounting and such, (Was cash only) and it was so straight forward as far as the fees . There was no hard intimidating arithmetic involved in the process, that for whatever reason I expected.... So this has been great to help INCREASE sales because well most pepole these days dont carry cash, so vendors need to get with the times. I also like it includes tipping, and sending them and email so that helps build your emailing list up too. so lots of pros here, Also to I find the Square system super pretty!

Cons

I really cant think of any cons, but the thing that I like the least as a consumer is the cost , LOL It would be nice if it was cheaper, maybe they can offer different plans for smaller or larger companies? Which they don't, so I suppose that can be a con for you.

Best Choice, Hands Down

My experience has been really really good. This is an ideal product, designed simply to make life and business easier. And that's exactly what it does.

Pros

The simple design and ease of use is my favorite! This made taking electronic payment so easy and effortless. Especially during a time where everyone was already stressed enough, contactless payments meant one less stress on everybody.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about this product! It delivers, and for a fraction of what the competitors are charging. What's there not to like?

Square Makes It Easy

Pros

I love being able to create different locations and taylor the products, pricing and taxes to each location individually. Integration with Craftybase is excellent.

Cons

Wish it integrated better with Shipstation

Square POS is a great tool for Vendors and Small Business Owners

All in all, Square POS is a must have if you are a small business owner and want to expand your business by accepting a wide variety of payment options. It makes the sale process easy and convenient but on the other hand, it is does charge a fee for every transaction which can add up overtime.

Pros

Square POS, provides access to small business owners and vendors to an incredible variety of payment, invoicing and sale options. It makes the acceptance and use of credit cards exteremly convenient and it can all be operated with the convenience of a smart phone or a tablet.

Cons

The biggest negative of Square POS, is the fee structure as it does end up costing significant amount of money to vendors and small business owners and a small percentage of every sale goes directly to Square. It would be great if Square had more package options and a variety of plans instead of the flat fee on every transaction.

Yes, we take Credit Cards!

I've been using Square Point of Sale for the past 2 years and I couldn't be happier. Besides taking credit card payments in person, it also allows me to create and issue invoices, pay 1099 contractors and even have an online store. It's a comprehensive solution for small business solutions looking for an easy and low cost solution for payment processing.

Pros

Having the ability to take credit cards as a business is a game changer, and when you are a mobile operation like I am, Square Point of Sale's convenient card readers connect with your phone and accept payment with the ease of a swipe. I typically pass the transaction fee on the customer, so it's a win/win.

Cons

The software itself is perfection! However, as with most mobile device attachments, my Square reader has a tendency to get lost. The good news is you can still process a payment without the card swipe attachment, but there's a higher transaction fee which most would obviously like to avoid. I recently ordered a version with the lightning charger port, which is nice if you use and Iphone and don't happen to have a headphone jack adapter.

I think Square beats all of its competitors due to its simplicity and fast deposits.

Pros

This platform has competitive fees, and is easy to use. I mostly use the little square swiper from my phone. The money received is always deposited quickly into my bank, and I can pay a little to have it accelerated further if I choose. The company made it easy for me to take FHA payments with a minor application procedure. On the computer, it is easy to send custom invoices to people, and easy to follow them up. I see no reason to use any other software to take payment from clients, in person or remotely.

Cons

I would like it if the reports were more user friendly and customizable. I'd like to be able to access the specific info I require with less steps.

Use square if you're not a square

Pros

Square to me is one of the more popular POS systems. Turns any iPad (or phone) into a point of sale tool. The screens are easily customizable, easy to use when we had seasonal selections or special discounts. I also really like that square keeps a record of what customers have used square in the past and will offer to email / text them their receipt. Easy to use for when looking up past orders and gives you analytics for how much you've sold hourly today vs last week. Lots of neat tools to explore how much you're selling / making. And there's a function to track your customers visits and give them freebies! And with an attachment, if your internet goes down, you can transform your phone into a POS tool.

Cons

No cons, other than when square goes down (which only happened twice in my two years with it).

If you charge for services or sell anything, you need this. Period.

Square helps us get paid. Period. It's as simple as that. Honestly, it shouldn't be any more complex than that. It's a piece of software that does exactly what it's supposed to do - quickly, reliably, and for a fair price.

Pros

Square is amazing. It takes what has traditionally been a very cumbersome and complex process to be able to accept credit cards, and it makes it as simple as installing an app on your phone. A little more than two years ago when I started my company, Square was the first payment processor that I signed up for. It instantly allowed me to send invoices by email and collect credit card payments when working on site with a client. If I had to bill any other way, it would have created a needless hurdle that would have slowed me down. Thanks to Square I was able to accept payments everywhere that I was interacting with clients, whether that was online or in person. Just amazing.

Cons

There's not really anything to dislike about the software. Of course the fees could always be lower, but you can say that about anything. In truth, there's nothing really to complain about with square, except that not all of their credit card reading hardware is free. Only the base model is free, everything else that would accept chips or wireless contact payments on the newer credit cards you have to pay for, just like if you were buying any other piece of electronics. It would be great if they just made all their devices available for free, especially considering that they're making good money on the fees they charge to facilitate your transactions.

Great for Business

Pros

Using the regular square reader was easy enough, but switching to the POS was a great move for our business. Much easier to use, especially when it gets busy.

Cons

It has a tendency to freeze up, and sometimes takes several tries. Not often though.

Great features but not the most reliable

Square has amazing features and is easy to use. It's also great to take on the go. I would have given it 5 stars if it weren't for the issues with buffering and transactions not going through. Because of these issues, Square was too unreliable for me.

Pros

Square was really easy to set up and use. It has a lot of great features like analytics, sales reports, manual credit card entry, and more. It's also really easy to set up and edit your menu. The fees that Square takes on credit card payments are not high and are very reasonable. Square is also excellent for on-the-go sales and is very portable. It's easy to take to different venues and events.

Cons

I encountered a lot of problems with Square. I was mainly using it to sell goods at my local farmer's market. Often after swiping a customer's credit card Square would be stuck with the loading symbol and the transaction would never go through. There were many times I had to shut down the app and reopen and ask the customer to swipe again with another credit card. There have been times where the customer...

Square One

Pros

I highly recommend Square POS for any business struggling to manage the point of sale transaction. Especially new businesses, can get tied up and make mistakes when it comes down to taking money from guests, and this is often a real sticking point when things go awry. This is where Square excels most. Transactions are seamless and intuitive, and guests are happy.

Cons

The main con is that Square's transaction fees are very high compared to a traditional merchant processing company. You just have to remember that you are paying for convenience and ease-of-use. One trick is to contact square (after having a few months of transaction data) and ask them to lower your rate.

Great POS

Overall great. It system with a nice app design and easy to use

Pros

Great point of sale I like that the have a card readers for different size business. Also you don’t have to move money to a bank account to access funds you can get a debit card as well which I like

Cons

Least favorite part is the processing. It takes awhile to set up same day transfers to your bank account

Easiest and the best way to keep overhead known

Pros

This software is very customer friendly and user-friendly want is it is set up I enjoy using it you can get very technical with it or keep it very simple there is lots of options and they are always very good And always changing it for the better

Cons

The set up is very intensive with all POS systems but there is some things that could be a little more user-friendly I think I believe they are trying to make it better but each person does things differently so they won’t be able to make it easy for everyone just in how they think and do things will be different

Business Owner

Customer service is top notch and responds both to online inquiries and emails. If I really need someone, there is a phone center with support as well. Great job!

Pros

The variety of utilization this software offers a small business is wonderful. Point of Sales, Payroll for employees or contractors, plus small business loans based on your sales activity are awesome benefits with low fees. I also get dispute coverage that acts like transaction insurance. They offer may services we have not taken advantage of yet. I look forward to growing with Square.

Cons

The only think I can think of improving is more control of payment dates for payroll, but at the moment it is very workable service.

Onsite event payments are so much easier with Square

No more long lines with faces of disgust now that we use Square. We used to get a lot of snide comments about our onsite registration, especially with the carbon paper swipers but now everything has been smooth sailing. Square is cheap and easy to setup, easy to use and the fees are very reasonable. highly recommended.

Pros

We used to use those carbon paper credit card machines to get payment info for onsite events. It was extremely slow, messy, took a lot of physical effort and resulted in long lines. Then, we started using whatever CMS we were using at the time and that took a lot of time as well because people had to fill out a long registration form and sometimes the payment wouldn't go through. In comes Square and now life is easy. We still use the CMS for larger events that require more details but for the small events, Square has been a lifesaver.

Cons

There were some times when the login did not work and I had to request password changes even when I know I was using the right credentials. There was also a couple times when I wasn't able to get the correct item charged but I think both of those were more based on user unfamiliarity and error than an actual issue with the software. The only other minor complaint I would have is sometimes the card reader is touchy and needs a few swipes before it works but that is probably due to old cards and it is an extremely minor issue compared to the benefits.

Perfect for my small business!

Very smooth. I have the swipe unit for now and I have never had a problem. I will most likely be purchasing the tap unit so that I can use debit cards.

Pros

This software is very user friendly, and easy to set up. The layout is logical and quick to learn. There is no monthly fee which is great for a business like mine that has few in store purchases. I really like the Estimate and Invoicing feature which I use weekly with schools. Record keeping for taxes is a breeze with the reports too!

Cons

As I have since expanded to using Square online store, I wish there were more pop up explanations beside the features. I am new to all the terminology and would love to see examples right beside the feature I am working with.

Square Rocks it!

Such a comprehensive system. I love it and look forward to what they will do next. I’m a fan and it really makes running my business so much smoother than before. I love their gift card options too. It’s just all around an awesome tool that every small business owner should take a strong look at.

Pros

What is there not to love about Square?! It’s provides a great entry way to taking credit card payments. I have relied on Square for over 5 years and I can’t imagine doing business any other way. The options for hardware are great and super affordable. They also look great which is awesome because I always want to show professionalism when I’m out. The addition is scheduling has been UHHHHMAZING! Like I have been waiting on this forever. I can set my calendar with my availability and clients can book right then including making a payment. wow!!!

Cons

The percentage fees are a bit high but taking credit cards is essential so I guess it is what it is. I have explored other options but none are worth switching to at this point.