Square Point of Sale Logo

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

Square Point of Sale Reviews - Page 5

1,861 reviews

Business Owner

Customer service is top notch and responds both to online inquiries and emails. If I really need someone, there is a phone center with support as well. Great job!

Pros

The variety of utilization this software offers a small business is wonderful. Point of Sales, Payroll for employees or contractors, plus small business loans based on your sales activity are awesome benefits with low fees. I also get dispute coverage that acts like transaction insurance. They offer may services we have not taken advantage of yet. I look forward to growing with Square.

Cons

The only think I can think of improving is more control of payment dates for payroll, but at the moment it is very workable service.

Onsite event payments are so much easier with Square

No more long lines with faces of disgust now that we use Square. We used to get a lot of snide comments about our onsite registration, especially with the carbon paper swipers but now everything has been smooth sailing. Square is cheap and easy to setup, easy to use and the fees are very reasonable. highly recommended.

Pros

We used to use those carbon paper credit card machines to get payment info for onsite events. It was extremely slow, messy, took a lot of physical effort and resulted in long lines. Then, we started using whatever CMS we were using at the time and that took a lot of time as well because people had to fill out a long registration form and sometimes the payment wouldn't go through. In comes Square and now life is easy. We still use the CMS for larger events that require more details but for the small events, Square has been a lifesaver.

Cons

There were some times when the login did not work and I had to request password changes even when I know I was using the right credentials. There was also a couple times when I wasn't able to get the correct item charged but I think both of those were more based on user unfamiliarity and error than an actual issue with the software. The only other minor complaint I would have is sometimes the card reader is touchy and needs a few swipes before it works but that is probably due to old cards and it is an extremely minor issue compared to the benefits.

Perfect for my small business!

Very smooth. I have the swipe unit for now and I have never had a problem. I will most likely be purchasing the tap unit so that I can use debit cards.

Pros

This software is very user friendly, and easy to set up. The layout is logical and quick to learn. There is no monthly fee which is great for a business like mine that has few in store purchases. I really like the Estimate and Invoicing feature which I use weekly with schools. Record keeping for taxes is a breeze with the reports too!

Cons

As I have since expanded to using Square online store, I wish there were more pop up explanations beside the features. I am new to all the terminology and would love to see examples right beside the feature I am working with.

Square Rocks it!

Such a comprehensive system. I love it and look forward to what they will do next. I’m a fan and it really makes running my business so much smoother than before. I love their gift card options too. It’s just all around an awesome tool that every small business owner should take a strong look at.

Pros

What is there not to love about Square?! It’s provides a great entry way to taking credit card payments. I have relied on Square for over 5 years and I can’t imagine doing business any other way. The options for hardware are great and super affordable. They also look great which is awesome because I always want to show professionalism when I’m out. The addition is scheduling has been UHHHHMAZING! Like I have been waiting on this forever. I can set my calendar with my availability and clients can book right then including making a payment. wow!!!

Cons

The percentage fees are a bit high but taking credit cards is essential so I guess it is what it is. I have explored other options but none are worth switching to at this point.

Square makes mobile processing super easy!

Pros

The easy functionality of each component that Square offers. The reports that Square generates are easy to interpret from a perspective of integrating into accounting/bookkeeping software. The fast turn around with deposits is really excellent as is the actual equipment, everything is so streamlined and easy to use whether we are inside our storefront or in the community using Square for offsite client payments.

Cons

The only negative for me was initially getting used to the per transaction fee being withheld immediately. In the past I had been used to the payment processor fees being deducted in a lump sum at the end of each billing cycle.

Simple and easy

Pros

I like that this is so straight forward and easy. It’s very simple to use and they don’t try to hide a bunch of fees. So clean and simple!

Cons

The only thing that’s sometimes a little frustrating is running reports, it won’t download as pdf. So I have to save it as an image.

Square Review

IT is easy to use, easy to carry, easy to set up overall a great product and a savings vs traditional cc processors.

Pros

I use my square reader daily to process payments and it has only had issues when I have internet issues but that's not the products fault. I would recommend it to anyone because it is a lot more affordable than the fees we were paying for our prior cc processors. We have saved so much in the last 2 years by switching to Square. It is definitely worth it! you have the portability of the swiper and also the card reader or hands free tapper.

Cons

Nothing yet has made me dislike square. Its very easy to use and very reasonably priced products.

Easy to use, self explanatory, multifaceted

All in all, I enjoy the ease. For a small business this is a great use. May consider getting the block that has contactless card processing.

Pros

I enjoy the ease and simplicity to this software. I enjoy that emails and phone numbers for receipts are saved for repeated customers. It is a great product for a small businesses. I also like that employees can also use it to log in (if you use that function) for payroll.

Cons

I don't like that payroll takes a while to get through to employees. I don't like that you cannot filter old transactions by dates and can only scroll backwards . Sometimes the card reader is not cooperative.

I would never switch to another POS/merchant processor

Our merchant processing costs are significantly lower. If you have a small budget , this is better than traditional merchant processors.

Pros

I love that it is intuitive. Everything is drag and drop. I rarely need help, but when I do, answers are easy to find. I've only seen them crash once in 4+ years and their team was extremely responsive.

Cons

I think the Employee Management tab could use improvement. I also stopped using the Loyalty feature, as I didn't see that it drove incremental business... just gave free stuff to people for doing what they were already doing. I heard they're rolling out a new loyalty program, so I'm anxious to hear what that includes.

Square allows us to complete sales and close deals on the spot

I have been highly satisfied with the ease of use, as well as the fact that we have been able to expend our business billing options. The transaction fees are quite acceptable seeing how there is no monthly fee to use the service.

Pros

I love Square. It has allowed us to take our business mobile. No longer do we have to write down client cc numbers which is highly insecure. We can now charge their cards on the spot, email a receipt to them within minutes, and begin projects more quickly than before. The Square card reader makes it easy to swipe or read chip based cards with ease. It's like having a POS system in your pocket at all times. The Square app is very simple to use. You enter the customer's info, the amount of the sale, and then swipe the credit card. The customer signs, and you're done. They receive an email receipt within minutes.

Cons

You have to purchase a credit card swipe / chip reader device from them. I have also seen them available at retail chains such as Target on occasion.

Great simple POS for small shops

Square POS enabled us to add a POS to replace our old cash register for the minimum expense. Much more affordable than competing products but also has far fewer features and poor support for tip handling.

Pros

Very easy to setup Affordable processing Good invoicing system Very easy to customize Simple Pretty design makes it easy to use all day

Cons

TERRIBLE at handling shifts and tips, even if you use their payroll or timeclock add ons. Payroll and timeclock addons are very expensive Did I mention tip handling? If you don't have employee management on and you have multiple shift workers sharing a register and pooled tips it turns into a Custom Report nightmare.

Lots of options

This is much better than our previous POS, but there are still some improvements that can be made. You see lots of threads about requested features, but not a lot of implementation.

Pros

Can customize from home, don't have to be onsite at the business location. The Android screens are much better than the Apple screens. Works with many additional software apps to help keep everything together.

Cons

You should be able to mark an item as unable to be discounted. You can't count on every employee to remember every time and they give out discounts they shouldn't. When you have $300-$400 a day in discounts, it adds up pretty quickly.

We use two accounts. One is exclusively for our coffee shop ministry. It is easy to run and works every time. We have the square stand and the wireless chip reader. It has made our coffee shop line move quicker and allows our volunteers to focus on the customer not the credit card process. Our second account is used to resister people for events as well as sell merchandise. We use the portable swipe devices for this and the mobility reall makes it convenient. Square takes a their cut so you have to build that into prices but we’ve found that the ease of use and convenience are worth it.

Pros

We have two accounts and use this for a donation based Coffee shop at our church and other ministry events. It is run by volunteers and works flawlessly. Square Point of Sale is easy to use, quick, training is minimal, and it takes all the hassle out of credit card purchases.

Cons

Overall there aren’t many cons with square. I’d like some adjustments made in the software to make it easy for volunteers to use it instead of employees but that’s on the back end and isn’t that big of a deal.

Square POS helped me start my photography business

I used Square to take on site payments to ensure I was paid on time and not have to wait to take payment. I also use it to manage my inventory and issue gift cards.

Pros

I like that Square POS is easy to use and I could build out an inventory list. I like that I can take payments anywhere I would take photos and I can manage my books on the go. The ability to add additional user came in handy when setting up to take photos at military balls and prom so I could take pictures and have someone man the sales table.

Cons

I do not like the fee's to process credit cards and some things like to enable gift cards I had to log in on my desktop.

Most recognizable, easy to use, and convenient for field sales.

Pros

Our technicians use Square in the field and on-the-go. It is easily recognizable as a credible payment processing service to our customers and sending receipts is incredibly simple, especially if the customer has used Square before with any other transaction. Note-taking, history, and refunds are all very user-friendly and there is nearly no on-boarding/training process necessary for new employees.

Cons

Cost per swipe is a little high, especially if the card is not present or the swiper isn't working and we have to hand-key the payment. Other than that, it's a great reliable software!

Best ever for Credit Card Purchases

The software has improved dramatically since we started using it. It is much faster now and there is now a terminal and printer to use. It has been very reliable and haven't been killed with monthly service charges or additional add on charges (like an annual security update fee) as we have had in the past.

Pros

Easy to use. There are no hidden fees or monthly service charges. Charges can be either keyed in or a card swipe.

Cons

No real cons. They did start charging for additional card readers. If you had a poor or no internet connection charges could not be processes.

Loving square for my business

Over I absolutely love this app it makes running my business so easy I love that I get payed a day later they have even fixed it so you can cash out sooner if you pay a small fee, they help with organizing your products and pricing they are truly amazing!

Pros

I love that I only need my phone if I forget my card reader to charge a client I can literally do business anywhere they have made my life simpler, the card reader is also super easy to use and there app is so cool I'm still trying to use all of the new cool features the keep adding to it I highly recommend this to any business but especially small businesses they save you so much money and don't have to buy a ridiculous card machine that costs thousands of dollars.

Cons

The only con about this is sometimes the readers have issues but it's fine cause you can still type the info into your phone the other thing is they want you to switch to the new chip reader I hate those and I dont want to switch so I probably won't

Its Square, What do you expect? Great Product!

Without Square, I wouldnt be able to accept cards as payment. It has massively allowed me to increase my sales.

Pros

I love square! I am able to use it to do in person transactions for my business. I have used it for all three businesses that I own. It is an easy seamless process. Just add your products and services, add pricing info and boom. Swipe and done. Paid quickly. Processes quickly. Little to no glitches. Even the fee isn't too bad. Most people pay with a credit/debit card these days so it is absolutely necessary to have a payment processor to accept them. Ease of use is amazing

Cons

The only thing that I dislike is that it does not sync with my shopify store as shopify and square are competitors. But the ease of use makes up for that.

Using Square to process credit cards

Great way to process credit cards for low volume types of businesses.

Pros

It's free - there's no monthly fee to utilize the software. They only charge a percentage of the amount charged and a per transaction fee. The fact that they don't charge a monthly fee makes it more economical for small businesses that don't have a high volume or recurring volume of credit card sales.

Cons

You have to use an ipad to run the credit cards. It would be nice to be able to use their website to process the credit card. When there's a problem it's next to impossible to get someone on the phone to help you with it.

Easy, easy, easy!

Overall, the implementation was so great. Easy to set up, easy to use. We can categorize all of our purchases. The reports can give our accountant exactly what is needed. We play a small, flat fee for transactions.

Pros

So easy to set up! Flat fees! Inexpensive! This software has done it all for us. We are a small library and the transition was so painless for us.

Cons

The only thing that has caused us issues is that the iPad we purchased with setup is now out of date and unsupported. It could be troubling if we have to purchase a brand new iPad every few years to make up for this.

Very simple and quick transactions

My overall experience with square POS has been wonderful. It’s very quick and easy. My clients can check out with ease.

Pros

I like the simplicity of square POS. I’ve been using it for 3 years in my salon suite to check out my customers. You can create preset items with preset prices and when you’re ready to check out you just click on the items you’re charging for and hit checkout. Very easy to use.

Cons

The percent per swipe charge. The larger the service the larger the change is per swipe.

Square

There's a reason so many small businesses use Stripe - it works. We use it at our gift shop, and $5 card readers that work with any phone means that we can easily scale up to have multiple "registers" at larger fundraising events.

Pros

Square is easy to use - all you need as a phone. I was pleased to learn that new card readers are available that plug into iPhone lightning jacks, since these phones no longer have headphone jacks and aren't compatible with the old readers.

Cons

I would like to be able to use the chip reader, but can't justify the price. In the meantime, the card reader (swiping cards) works fine.

It gets the job done, but the system could be better.

Pros

I like that I am able to add pictures of my items for easy visual location in the system. It is easy to add items and remove them.

Cons

The inventory system we use is not compatible with Square which makes it very hard to do inventory. When I called and asked for this issue to be resolved I was told it was being "worked on," but it never got resolved even a year later. The system can be slow to transition between tabs. Also, getting a hold of customer service can be difficult because you need a customer code and this can be hard to locate for other employees. We also had issues when Square has signed us out, and my staff could not use the device code to log back in, I had to give them my username and password to get signed back in.

EVERYONE needs this

Overall, great! Just a few issues that cause minor annoyances, but not a deal-breaker. My favorite of the 3 total credit card payment apps I've tried using.

Pros

Convenience. Take payments anywhere. Why doesn't everyone take advantage of this. I NEVER HAVE CASH ON ME PLEASE Creating items & managing categories is super easy with the ability to view all your info on desktop.

Cons

I personally unplug + plug in my square reader quite often. (i multitask a lot = take a payment, hang out on my phone for a while, rinse and repeat). when the reader plugs in initially, a pop-up appears telling me it's preparing the reader for use. this pop-up stays up for ... SO LONG. really it's just a few seconds, but during those few seconds i'm usually already trying to search for an item to prepare for a payment. i find myself waiting for that pop-up to go away so i can actually use the app SO much. often times i still try to navigate the app through the pop-up, but it's hard to see what i'm clicking on lol

Square Register - Must Have for Square Customers!

Pros

The fully-integrated POS has a lower processing fee, and is the best of what square has to offer. We have not had an interruption in service since we switched. There is no charge for the software, which is nice for small businesses, and it has an amazing ease of user interface.

Cons

I wish that Square had more integrations with other softwares needed by a retail establishment. For instance, inventory management softwares that will integrate with square are limited and polarizing with offerings. We had no choice but to go with Shopventory due to budget restraints.