Square Point of Sale Logo

Square Point of Sale

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

Square Point of Sale Reviews - Page 7

1,861 reviews

Sqare is no frills but no hassle either!

Affordable hardware, simple UX, predictable fees, and intuitive interface works for this small business!

Pros

I like that Square is as straight forward as it gets. It doesn't have to be a complicated process selling an item, especially if you're not managing inventory with the POS system. Square is simple, is affordable (pricing and hardware) for a small company, and is an excellent value for the service we use it for.

Cons

It's a double edged sword; Square is pretty simple, and not extraordinarily robust. If you're looking for a clean way to manage aspects of your business (money handling, inventory, employees) Square can be great for you. At the same time, the reporting isn't super customizable, there isn't any singular module for inventory management, and it seems like it could quickly become NOT an excellent value if you're revenues grow significantly, quickly.

Square Point of Sale makes it so easy to run your own direct sales business!

Pros

I was never great at remembering to carry the credit card scanner with me when I would travel to different events in the area. It was comforting to know that Square Point of Sale didn't require a credit card reader to be used every time I needed to take payment from someone. Being able to switch to manual mode made this app super efficient. Additionally, the ability to send a receipt multiple ways, as well as sign others up and receive free processing, was absolutely genius! I still have the app on my phone even though I don't use it as much as I used to.

Cons

When I initially signed up, I opted for the free credit card reader (non-chip reader). It was only supposed to take a couple days/weeks to get to me. I waited and waited, then tried to reorder another one. It said the order went through, but that one never showed up either. I finally had to call customer service to have them send me out a reader. It showed up a couple days later, but by this time, 3 months had passed since my initial sign-up. I think there should be an easier way to go about reordering another reader and actually receiving it in the mail when I should have. Overall, that was the only issue I came across.

Easy to use and business friendly!

Great system. I would definitely recommend it if you are starting a business as there are no monthly fees, you can track your inventory, use it for scheduling and do a whole lot of things in general with it.

Pros

Super easy to use, business friendly software and many different methods/tools for integration of other services including scheduling, gift cards, and more. Easy to use to track inventory also. Easy to understand financials.

Cons

The percentage they charge per transaction is reasonable but slightly more than other services I have encountered.

A huge help when running estate sales

Square point of sale has been a great asset allowing us to take card payments not only in person when we run an estate sale but also over the phone for clients who wish to pay their invoices with a card versus a check. The option of a text or email receipt is also very helpful for those who want proof of purchase/payment when we don't have a printer onsite.

Pros

It allows us to take card payments for any amount using the app when a customer doesn't have cash instead of the risk of taking a check.

Cons

The processing fees are competitive with other services such as PayPal but still high and cut into our profits.

So effective, easy and affordable we got rid of our credit card machines

Switch from your old credit card readers to save time and money. This is so much better than old credit card processing stations.

Pros

Square was so easy to use in our retail locations we got rid of all our credit card processing machines and replaced them with Square readers. Also, being able to go mobile with our payment processing allowed us to take cashless payments away from our stores.

Cons

Our only issue was having to share account login info with employees when managers were not around for payment processing.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Square Point of Sale!

My overall experience with Square Point Of Sale has been all good! I’ve never been disappointed with this software & I will continue to use it & recommend it to my friends and family!

Pros

Square is by far my favorite point of sale app! I use this app daily for my drop-shipping business & it is the BEST one I’ve come across yet! So easy to use and figure out! & I love that you also receive a card that you can customize for easier access to your funds!

Cons

My least favorite thing about this point of sale app would probably be some of the fees. There are small percentages that get taken out per sale, but overall it’s not too bad for the great service! I’m not complaining!

POS simplified and accessible

Really great software... accessibility on the go and in remote places... great job overall square.

Pros

Square has an offline mode during which you can continue credit card sales if wifi is temporarily down - which happens in small remote towns. You can easily customize your sales screen with categories and items, fixed prices, customizable on the spot prices which allows for flexibility with business and consigned artists. There's a lot to like about square.

Cons

It's a trade off for all the services that square provides - they simply do what you might be able to or would take you a long time to do for a fee. Which is fair. I like the signing with the finger feature but the whole screen is signable which confuses older folks - their hand will touch the bottom of the ipad and they keep signing not knowing what's wrong... The only other main issue I've encountered is a screen change requirement for retrieving a receipt if a customer is like 'no...' click no 'no yeah, I'd like a receipt'. It can take forever to switch from the sales screen to transactions during which the customer will give up on a receipt and your screen is still frozen for the next customer.

Good for most

Square was very helpful to move our company from manual transactions to digital, giving the benefits of tracking orders, having customer accounts, a barcode scanner, and more. Unfortunately, Square rates for Hemp sales are unreasonable and has surprisingly ended our ability to do business after drastically increasing the transaction percentage fees.

Pros

Customer accounts and product lists are well set up and very easy to use.

Cons

I don't like that the inventory does not keep a running record of price (cost and retail) changes.

Game-changer

Pros

Square has saved me many times when I've wanted to buy something at festivals, street parties, art fairs, farmer's markets and other places where I would typically need to have cash on me. I love that Square has made it easy for smaller businesses and retailers to just add something to their phones. I've never had a problem using it and I love that it recognizes my card and gives me the option of sending the receipt to my email without having to enter my email information every time.

Cons

Nothing! I love this software and outside the usual clunky card processors most stores and restaurants have, I've never seen any alternatives. I've seen more and more stores start to use this in place of the traditional ones and it immediately gives me the impression that they're a modern and tech-savvy establishment.

Great Product for Small Businesses

Awesome. Simple, easy to use and my transactions are done quickly.

Pros

Square's point of sale feature allows me to take payments in multiple different ways - I can use the reader, from my labtop/desktop, or my ipad. The best part is you don't even need to physical swipe the card either. Square makes it super easy.

Cons

No cons to the point of sale service. Everything works great with this feature. In the two years I have not had any difficulties

Overall fantastic for restaurant cashier needs, could use one fix on customer end

My experience was overall good. Please fix that tip option screen so it's blatantly clear customers are prompted to leave a tip or not. Like i said, bold text maybe your best fix here.

Pros

Loved how easy it was to operate from a cashier perspective. The app interface makes it easy to select the items for any dish on our menu. It's almost like simply working my phone - all app based.

Cons

I'm not sure if it was our machine but sometimes cards wouldn't read when you slid them. However, my biggest gripe and concern is the tip screen for customers after you swipe their card. I would inform customers they need to sign but they are faced with this tip option first. They simply don't understand that they have the option to leave a tip or no. You almost need to say that in BOLD TEXT - LEAVE A TIP OR NO TIP. I can't tell you how

Easy to use, great features, can't beat the price and credit card processing

Pros

After vetting many POS systems, we came back to square because of the transparent credit card processing fees. Marketing, Loyalty, time clock, and Invoicing systems are easy to use and have great functionality. Because they're built-in, it limits the need for multiple systems and clunky adaptations.

Cons

Square is sometimes a bit behind in developing new features. However, to their credit, they do respond to requests for new features and often incorporate them.

Easy to use for the most part.

A majority of my transactions with Square were worry-free. It's a simple process where you can even choose the questions that it asks the customer after their card is accepted (receipt, tip, signature, etc). I'm glad there is software like this that we are able to use on any device for mobility in business travels.

Pros

When in a rush when you have customers to serve, the last thing you need is trouble with a transaction. The Square software makes this part of owning a business very easy and worry-free. I love the simple process to an easy transaction that it allows.

Cons

I did have multiple occasions where the device plug-in card reader would not read the card after multiple swipes which led us to have to type the card information in manually, which is fine, other than the fact that is charges MORE to do that?? That never made sense to me. If it costs more to manually type it in, then I need to be sent a card reader that will work every time so I'm not forced to take money away from my business? That part was a little frustrating.

A Great Option for Small Businesses

I used Square to sell tickets and merchandise for my band at shows. It is a great option as it is low cost and allows you to take credit/debit with ease! One of the hardest part of selling merchandise as a small band is customers having cash (usually because they would rather spend it on beer) and having change to give them if they do have some leftover cash for merchandise. Square gives your customers another option and has directly led to us selling more shirts and CDs.

Pros

-Very easy to use and intuitive software design -Online dashboard to track and monitor sales performance -Option to swipe or type in card manually -Low cost (few cents per swipe) -Able to sign up online quickly, receive a FREE swipe attachment, and start receiving payments within days

Cons

-Little human tech support -Hard to implement and setup custom features -Becomes costly as company sales scale -- best for smaller businesses

Best choice for my small business

Bought the register two years ago when I started my store and use daily. Just added the loyalty option and is working great.

Pros

We use the square register and everything is easy to operate, add items, pricing. Adding extras like a scanner and receipt printer we had zero problems. Daily use and not sure I could do business without it. Customers also appreciate seeing a name they know and feel the information is safer.

Cons

Bulk editing items would be a nice addition. Would love to have more options to categorize or have special product bundles and easy access, something different than searching a list. .

SquarePOS GREAT for Small Businesses

I’ve been using it for nearly a year with no outages and confidence that it’s working. I have items that are taxed and some that aren’t in my state. It handles that well. Components are solid and I anticipate and expect them to last a long time

Pros

These things just work. Like apple products, I look for technology that I can just plug together (iPad, monitor display, card swiper, receipt printer, cash register) and they all work right out of the box. The app is ok too and the rates for credit card processing are competitive- with daily deposits and nice reports.

Cons

Set up of the app and items that I’m selling took a little time to plan out and adjust. But once I understood the process it went fast and I can also log in to their system from a separate PC or my phone and make adjustments or get reports too.

My go to credit card processing unit.

I am able to accept credit cards at a reasonable fee. It makes making money easier. I also don't have to worry about going to the bank on a daily basis.

Pros

I love the portability of this software. I can be signed in on my cell phone, tablet and computer and use it anywhere

Cons

I would like to be able to set up reoccurring payments for those who pay for services as a membership base. It is also difficult to save a clients card info. The help given doesn't give instructions on how to set that up.

Not the answer we were looking for

Overall the software was decent, it was just lacking a lot of key features that one would expect. Square is a large company and should put more thought into their features from a business owner standpoint. Square as a company though, isn't one I'll do business with ever again. After 18 months of running my business just fine, they deleted my account due to 'high risk activity.' Which is incorrect because nothing changed over the course of the 18 months. And once they make that decision, it's final. There is no debating. So I've moved my business elsewhere and won't go back.

Pros

It's easy to get setup and easy to use. The user interface is extremely simple and clutter free so that's a big deal when using it, especially for those that aren't very tech-savvy.

Cons

Where do I start? The Analytics are extremely limited and don't give us anywhere near the level of detail we desire. Without proper Analytics, we can't keep our finger on the pulse of the business. The mobile access is a pain in the butt to use as it's often unresponsive and doesn't have the user friendliness that it should.

Great!

I do like it!!

Pros

I like how you can categorize and customize! How you can go in directly change something as soon as it comes to your mind! I also like how incandescent access things remotely

Cons

I wish there wasnt such a wait before you can use the app after it hasn't been used in a while...like say it's a slow day and the space between customers it large so the app basically needs to reopen and while you are in a hurry that wait period seems like forever

Super Simple and Works Great

I've had a great experience. No matter where I am, I can make a sale. This option has truly changed how I sell and get paid. My life is a lot easier and I am making more money just by using Square.

Pros

I had my account and POS device set up in minutes. Literally only took like 10-15 minutes total and I could accept payments anywhere.

Cons

I do feel the customer service could be better. Maybe more direct customer service options to make it easier and more effective.

Makes me mobile

I definitely recommend square. keeps from having to worry about bounced check fees turning into collection issues and small claims court appearances! Great for small businesses!

Pros

Ability to accept payments out in the field. Offers peace of mind that my transactions are tracked and it gives me reports to print for production tracking and taxes.

Cons

sometimes the scanner doesnt work. i'm unsure if this is my error or the unit itself. always works after i unplug device and plug it back in.

Square Point of Sale

Overall, I love the simplicity and easy to use layout of the Square POS system. I use it for everything from fundraisers to garage sales. I am truly impressed with the product and can not be happier with the experience that I have had with it.

Pros

I have been doing side jobs for that last 2 years and have been part of my sons cubs scouts troop. Having square not only makes everything so much easier for us, but we have notice and influx of customers that are more willing to purchase items due to the ability to process credit cards. Square is easy to use and straight forward. It keeps track of my inventory and lets me know what I need more of so that I never run out. It is easy to set up and anyone can use it due to it being very user friendly.

Cons

Unfortunately you can not customize the features to great extent, but they still have an easy and user friendly system. I have not ran into any issues or bugs that have prevented me from getting the full benefit of using the Square POS.

Sales while on the go!

I will continue to use this app, as it works beautifully and is reliable!

Pros

I like that I can use this in conjunction with my smartphone, so I'm able to take payments from almost anywhere! I am glad I have a Samsung though, as the reader I have uses the 3.5mm headphone jack that is missing from current iPhone models.

Cons

I have found nothing I dislike about this software! It has been reliable and responsive, and the app doesn't even crash on me. Great!

Simplify your life

Pros

The Square app is amazingly easy to set up and use. Within a few minutes I was able to set up a profile and link to my bank account. I spent another few hours setting up my inventory, and linking to pictures of the inventory. The ability to manage sales, taxes, and inventory all in one app is time saving and lends to efficiency. The training for my assistants was minutes, as the program is easy to understand and sales take few steps to complete. No issues with connectivity, even in areas where the ability to connect to cell towers might be questionable. The option for off line use is helpful should you find yourself in that situation. Transactions simple process as soon as you connect.

Cons

I couldn't find one thing I didn't like about this app, well maybe the fees, but that being said they are extremely reasonable and for the convenience of being able to accept credit cards at remote locations well worth the spend.

LOVE Square. Use for all my payment processing.

Pros

I have never had any issue with processing payments through Square. Funds are always in my account the next day and the notifications I get are instant. My clients never have any issues paying invoices, processing their credit cards, etc. The interface on both web and mobile is extremely well designed.

Cons

I don't really have anything bad to say. I have enjoyed using this platform so much I have never even considered using anything else.