Square Point of Sale Logo

iPad & Android point of sale (POS) system

Square Point of Sale Reviews - Page 8

2,007 reviews

Good for most

Square was very helpful to move our company from manual transactions to digital, giving the benefits of tracking orders, having customer accounts, a barcode scanner, and more. Unfortunately, Square rates for Hemp sales are unreasonable and has surprisingly ended our ability to do business after drastically increasing the transaction percentage fees.

Pros

Customer accounts and product lists are well set up and very easy to use.

Cons

I don't like that the inventory does not keep a running record of price (cost and retail) changes.

Game-changer

Pros

Square has saved me many times when I've wanted to buy something at festivals, street parties, art fairs, farmer's markets and other places where I would typically need to have cash on me. I love that Square has made it easy for smaller businesses and retailers to just add something to their phones. I've never had a problem using it and I love that it recognizes my card and gives me the option of sending the receipt to my email without having to enter my email information every time.

Cons

Nothing! I love this software and outside the usual clunky card processors most stores and restaurants have, I've never seen any alternatives. I've seen more and more stores start to use this in place of the traditional ones and it immediately gives me the impression that they're a modern and tech-savvy establishment.

Great Product for Small Businesses

Awesome. Simple, easy to use and my transactions are done quickly.

Pros

Square's point of sale feature allows me to take payments in multiple different ways - I can use the reader, from my labtop/desktop, or my ipad. The best part is you don't even need to physical swipe the card either. Square makes it super easy.

Cons

No cons to the point of sale service. Everything works great with this feature. In the two years I have not had any difficulties

Overall fantastic for restaurant cashier needs, could use one fix on customer end

My experience was overall good. Please fix that tip option screen so it's blatantly clear customers are prompted to leave a tip or not. Like i said, bold text maybe your best fix here.

Pros

Loved how easy it was to operate from a cashier perspective. The app interface makes it easy to select the items for any dish on our menu. It's almost like simply working my phone - all app based.

Cons

I'm not sure if it was our machine but sometimes cards wouldn't read when you slid them. However, my biggest gripe and concern is the tip screen for customers after you swipe their card. I would inform customers they need to sign but they are faced with this tip option first. They simply don't understand that they have the option to leave a tip or no. You almost need to say that in BOLD TEXT - LEAVE A TIP OR NO TIP. I can't tell you how

Square POS is excellent for small businesses

Overall, Square's POS provides our customers can easily purchase items from the museum. The ease of deployment, easy connectivity when setuping your payment collector, and creating easy-to-follow prompts when customers want to checkout provides them with a seamless experience.

Pros

Ease of use, easy payment setup, easy-to-follow prompts for customers

Cons

Updates can get annoying at times. They pop up during the day and we had to setup them to update at nightime.

GREAT PRODUCT, EASY TO USE, EASY ON THE FEES

I SWITCHED FROM THE BANKS SYSTEM OF FIRST DATA, IN FEES ALONE EACH YEAR I PAID FROM $600 -$800, THEY CHARGED RENTAL FEES, INSURANCE FEES, MAINTENANCE FEES, CREDIT CARD FEES, SERVICE FEES (SEPARATE FROM MAINTENANCE FEES) AND TAXES, YEAH NOW I PAY ROUGHLY MAYBE $50 - $125 A YEAR WAY BETTER.

Pros

THE SIMPLICITY, ONCE YOU SET IT UP, JUST START USING IT. THEY CHARGE MINIMAL FEES, THEY PUT THE FUNDS INTO YOUR ACCOUNT USUALLY NEXT DAY, OR DAY AFTER IF SALE WAS AFTER HOURS OR WEEKEND.

Cons

IT COULD TAKE 48 HOURS TO GET PAID IF A SALE WAS ON THE WEEKEND OR AFTER HOURS, AND IF A CLIENT ALREADY HAS AN EMAIL SET UP THE SQUARE SYSTEM WILL AUTOMATICALLY SEND THE RECEIPT TO THEM, IT JUST MAKES ME HAVE TO GO BACK AND RESEND THE RECEIPT TO MY BUSINESS EMAIL

Easy to use, great features, can't beat the price and credit card processing

Pros

After vetting many POS systems, we came back to square because of the transparent credit card processing fees. Marketing, Loyalty, time clock, and Invoicing systems are easy to use and have great functionality. Because they're built-in, it limits the need for multiple systems and clunky adaptations.

Cons

Square is sometimes a bit behind in developing new features. However, to their credit, they do respond to requests for new features and often incorporate them.

Easy to use for the most part.

A majority of my transactions with Square were worry-free. It's a simple process where you can even choose the questions that it asks the customer after their card is accepted (receipt, tip, signature, etc). I'm glad there is software like this that we are able to use on any device for mobility in business travels.

Pros

When in a rush when you have customers to serve, the last thing you need is trouble with a transaction. The Square software makes this part of owning a business very easy and worry-free. I love the simple process to an easy transaction that it allows.

Cons

I did have multiple occasions where the device plug-in card reader would not read the card after multiple swipes which led us to have to type the card information in manually, which is fine, other than the fact that is charges MORE to do that?? That never made sense to me. If it costs more to manually type it in, then I need to be sent a card reader that will work every time so I'm not forced to take money away from my business? That part was a little frustrating.

A Great Option for Small Businesses

I used Square to sell tickets and merchandise for my band at shows. It is a great option as it is low cost and allows you to take credit/debit with ease! One of the hardest part of selling merchandise as a small band is customers having cash (usually because they would rather spend it on beer) and having change to give them if they do have some leftover cash for merchandise. Square gives your customers another option and has directly led to us selling more shirts and CDs.

Pros

-Very easy to use and intuitive software design -Online dashboard to track and monitor sales performance -Option to swipe or type in card manually -Low cost (few cents per swipe) -Able to sign up online quickly, receive a FREE swipe attachment, and start receiving payments within days

Cons

-Little human tech support -Hard to implement and setup custom features -Becomes costly as company sales scale -- best for smaller businesses

Best choice for my small business

Bought the register two years ago when I started my store and use daily. Just added the loyalty option and is working great.

Pros

We use the square register and everything is easy to operate, add items, pricing. Adding extras like a scanner and receipt printer we had zero problems. Daily use and not sure I could do business without it. Customers also appreciate seeing a name they know and feel the information is safer.

Cons

Bulk editing items would be a nice addition. Would love to have more options to categorize or have special product bundles and easy access, something different than searching a list. .

SquarePOS GREAT for Small Businesses

I’ve been using it for nearly a year with no outages and confidence that it’s working. I have items that are taxed and some that aren’t in my state. It handles that well. Components are solid and I anticipate and expect them to last a long time

Pros

These things just work. Like apple products, I look for technology that I can just plug together (iPad, monitor display, card swiper, receipt printer, cash register) and they all work right out of the box. The app is ok too and the rates for credit card processing are competitive- with daily deposits and nice reports.

Cons

Set up of the app and items that I’m selling took a little time to plan out and adjust. But once I understood the process it went fast and I can also log in to their system from a separate PC or my phone and make adjustments or get reports too.

My go to credit card processing unit.

I am able to accept credit cards at a reasonable fee. It makes making money easier. I also don't have to worry about going to the bank on a daily basis.

Pros

I love the portability of this software. I can be signed in on my cell phone, tablet and computer and use it anywhere

Cons

I would like to be able to set up reoccurring payments for those who pay for services as a membership base. It is also difficult to save a clients card info. The help given doesn't give instructions on how to set that up.

Not the answer we were looking for

Overall the software was decent, it was just lacking a lot of key features that one would expect. Square is a large company and should put more thought into their features from a business owner standpoint. Square as a company though, isn't one I'll do business with ever again. After 18 months of running my business just fine, they deleted my account due to 'high risk activity.' Which is incorrect because nothing changed over the course of the 18 months. And once they make that decision, it's final. There is no debating. So I've moved my business elsewhere and won't go back.

Pros

It's easy to get setup and easy to use. The user interface is extremely simple and clutter free so that's a big deal when using it, especially for those that aren't very tech-savvy.

Cons

Where do I start? The Analytics are extremely limited and don't give us anywhere near the level of detail we desire. Without proper Analytics, we can't keep our finger on the pulse of the business. The mobile access is a pain in the butt to use as it's often unresponsive and doesn't have the user friendliness that it should.

Great!

I do like it!!

Pros

I like how you can categorize and customize! How you can go in directly change something as soon as it comes to your mind! I also like how incandescent access things remotely

Cons

I wish there wasnt such a wait before you can use the app after it hasn't been used in a while...like say it's a slow day and the space between customers it large so the app basically needs to reopen and while you are in a hurry that wait period seems like forever

Super Simple and Works Great

I've had a great experience. No matter where I am, I can make a sale. This option has truly changed how I sell and get paid. My life is a lot easier and I am making more money just by using Square.

Pros

I had my account and POS device set up in minutes. Literally only took like 10-15 minutes total and I could accept payments anywhere.

Cons

I do feel the customer service could be better. Maybe more direct customer service options to make it easier and more effective.

Makes me mobile

I definitely recommend square. keeps from having to worry about bounced check fees turning into collection issues and small claims court appearances! Great for small businesses!

Pros

Ability to accept payments out in the field. Offers peace of mind that my transactions are tracked and it gives me reports to print for production tracking and taxes.

Cons

sometimes the scanner doesnt work. i'm unsure if this is my error or the unit itself. always works after i unplug device and plug it back in.

Square Point of Sale

Overall, I love the simplicity and easy to use layout of the Square POS system. I use it for everything from fundraisers to garage sales. I am truly impressed with the product and can not be happier with the experience that I have had with it.

Pros

I have been doing side jobs for that last 2 years and have been part of my sons cubs scouts troop. Having square not only makes everything so much easier for us, but we have notice and influx of customers that are more willing to purchase items due to the ability to process credit cards. Square is easy to use and straight forward. It keeps track of my inventory and lets me know what I need more of so that I never run out. It is easy to set up and anyone can use it due to it being very user friendly.

Cons

Unfortunately you can not customize the features to great extent, but they still have an easy and user friendly system. I have not ran into any issues or bugs that have prevented me from getting the full benefit of using the Square POS.

Sales while on the go!

I will continue to use this app, as it works beautifully and is reliable!

Pros

I like that I can use this in conjunction with my smartphone, so I'm able to take payments from almost anywhere! I am glad I have a Samsung though, as the reader I have uses the 3.5mm headphone jack that is missing from current iPhone models.

Cons

I have found nothing I dislike about this software! It has been reliable and responsive, and the app doesn't even crash on me. Great!

Simplify your life

Pros

The Square app is amazingly easy to set up and use. Within a few minutes I was able to set up a profile and link to my bank account. I spent another few hours setting up my inventory, and linking to pictures of the inventory. The ability to manage sales, taxes, and inventory all in one app is time saving and lends to efficiency. The training for my assistants was minutes, as the program is easy to understand and sales take few steps to complete. No issues with connectivity, even in areas where the ability to connect to cell towers might be questionable. The option for off line use is helpful should you find yourself in that situation. Transactions simple process as soon as you connect.

Cons

I couldn't find one thing I didn't like about this app, well maybe the fees, but that being said they are extremely reasonable and for the convenience of being able to accept credit cards at remote locations well worth the spend.

LOVE Square. Use for all my payment processing.

Pros

I have never had any issue with processing payments through Square. Funds are always in my account the next day and the notifications I get are instant. My clients never have any issues paying invoices, processing their credit cards, etc. The interface on both web and mobile is extremely well designed.

Cons

I don't really have anything bad to say. I have enjoyed using this platform so much I have never even considered using anything else.

Makes managing my business easier

Square allows me to offer multiple payment options for customers at an affordable price

Pros

I operate booths at several farmers markets. Square allows me to view sales at any market anywhere I am. The reports that square offers makes managing my business easier. At tax time i have all the information i need in front of me. It makes cash management easy. I also love the extra features like employee managment.

Cons

Some options can be confusing to utilize

Phenomenal experience

I have used this system for my restauraunt for the past 3 years and love it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a POS thats easy to program sale items, keep track of inventory. Absolutely everything that you could ask for.

Pros

multifunctional product, that I can access from multiple devices with ease, employee clock in and bookeeping services are awesome

Cons

not being able to talk to a live person if needed, having to wait for an email response when there is an urgent situation is awful

Square Point of Sale

I use square as my main business software to process all my sales, create and generate all my sales reports, and more. Using square saves me money from where some companies want you to buy a expenses POS system and pay other fees to use the software.

Pros

The software can be used for the most part for little or no cost at all. It's easy and simple to use for any type of business. It allow you complete mobile access from anywhere. It allows you to make updates and changes from where every you are. You ca tailor the reports for whatever you desire to keep track of. It's just a great software program, especially if you are a small business.

Cons

If you have a need to use other features of the software like marketing or time management you will have to pay extra for each individual employee.

Square POS outperforms all others

We are now able to stay on top of our business because of the Square POS. It tracks our sales by categories, by the hour, it allows comparisons to previous sales by the day, week, month, and year. We can see what trends there are in products and plan accordingly. We can monitor sales while we are away, which really helps us manage employees and scheduling so much more efficiently.

Pros

I cannot say enough good things about Square POS. We switched to Square POS several months ago, and it has changed so many aspects of our business! We now know exactly what's going on!

Cons

I am 100% happy with Square. We had minor blips the first week, but it was smooth sailing after that.

Square for Your Business

If you own a small business with an available store front I highly recommend you use anything Square has to offer you.

Pros

Square is so easy to use! Installation of the device is straightforward. Downloading the app is super easy. Plus, their customer support is so helpful and friendly with all of your questions and concerns.

Cons

My least favorite thing about Square is the take a percentage off of my sales. But, that's to be expected with this type of service.