TurboTax Reviews

4.73/5 (77 reviews)

Virginia Brooks

You Plug it Chugs

Reviewed 2018-07-26

Pros
I’ve used TurboTax, electronic tax preparation software, for three consecutive years to file my state and federal taxes. TurboTax provides e-filing taxes services and assistance for those filing as self-employed, small business, military, and retirement tax purposes. TurboTax will make filing less of a hassle; all you have to do is plug, and it will take care of the chugging for you. Overall, I have been pretty pleased with the services but keep in mind it is always good to have a second pair of eyes to examine your taxes before filing. Pros We all know filing taxes can rack up quite a hefty bill, especially when hiring someone to do them for you. TurboTax provides the same services as a real person, for a reasonable cost. One of my favorite perks to using Turbo is that it saves all my previous year’s returns so I can easily access and refer to at any time; you can easily switch between the online platform and the mobile app without having to worry about your data or updates being lost. For those who don’t have a lot of sit-down time you can file on the go, directly from Turbo’s mobile app; which supports both iPhone and Android phone as well as an iPad and Android tablet. For beginners, this application is the step-by-step guide that walks you through the complete filing process from start to finish. If you still find you need assistance there is on-demand support and live-phone support (including CPA or EA assistance that can look over/double check your work before sending your return off) readily available to you 24-hours a day. If you are anything like me… a tax amendment or an extension of some sort is often in the equation; TurboTax contains all the forms you can easily access to complete any of these actions and will let you know exactly where to mail it to. After filing, the IRS should receive your return in as little as 1-2 business days and are generally approved within 1-2 business days as well (deposits and refunds take a bit longer, est. 19 business days).

Cons
Although TurboTax does have a free plan, keep in mind you will still have to pay when e-filing (technically speaking… it’s not exactly free). As an experienced Turbo user for three years now, I have only encountered one experience where Turbo did not catch a mistake; for this reason, I would highly recommend you have one of the CPA/EA’s available to you via TurboTax look over your taxes before filing to help you catch any potential errors. While I have confidence in the applications security of my data and personal information I would not put 100% confidence in the results it provides as automated software can make mistakes too. In the future I hope TurboTax provides documentation on all of the calculations so that it is easier for people to work backwards and find mistakes when needed.

India Price

Yearly Turn to TurboTax to file my own taxes

Reviewed 2018-03-29

Pros
Turbotax will keep prior years information saved for next years taxes if you have not had any significant changes you can easily file your taxes without having to locate documents for filing the EITC, employer information, household information etc. There is no cost to file your federal taxes with Turbotax. It sends reminders when your tax return is estimated to come. It allows for you to have access anywhere being it is web-based and anywhere you have internet access you can access Turbotax. It has a forum for questions and answers for anyone to review and a free estimation of your tax return estimator. It allows you to review your taxes for any errors or mistakes. If you remain idle too long the software will automatically log you out. It allows users to file their own taxes. They have areas to explain questions asked on taxes. It is user friendly. With so many users it should not allow you to access your taxes and then force you to upgrade the next year and if you do not it will vanish your information in front of your face which is sort of rude if you ask me. They should just delete if after they send the information or at the end of the tax year your filing for ask would you like to take out to save next years information for fast and easy convience? People would be more inclined because they have the money to do it to be taken out. What if I do not want to upgrade and needed to amend a tax year and they erased the information what happens then?

Cons
It only saves your information if you pay to upgrade the software if you do not pay your information is lost and you have to input everything like a first time user. There is a cost for your state taxes but it does not seem to be as detailed for state taxes as it is for federal as far as claiming the EITC through State Taxes as well. Because people fraud taxes some answers in the forum or vague and for people really wanting the answer it really is not presented as a yes or no. Maybe they can have a ask a legal question regarding your taxes feature for answers to tax related questions and provide that as an additional service where the question is emailed to you. Are for an a la carte flat fee with the upgrade you have the option to have lawyer/irs agent answered tax related quesitons with definite answers provided in a general forum and have a per day usage charge deducted from taxes or something of the sort. Then you can really do your taxes without having to consult someone, then finish your taxes later.

Amy Tilton

Highly recommend as a DIY option for income taxes

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-04-23

Pros
TurboTax Business really walks you through everything you need. My taxes aren't extraordinarily complex, but I do run an inventory-based business, so it's more complex than a basic employee tax filing. That said, TurboTax really seems like it can handle the tax situations of quite a lot of people. It's pretty reasonably priced, and asks you questions that walk you through everything. They've got helpful explanations embedded within the software for questions you'd likely have about a specific section. They also have a pretty thorough help section, as well as live support if you need (though I never did). I hadn't ever done my own taxes before (only used H&R Block or similar in the past before owning a business), but I felt like TurboTax was very approachable.

Cons
The only small complaint I have is that if you aren't working on the software for a little while, it logs you out (which is great for security purposes), but then when you log back in, it just takes you to the dashboard and you have to navigate back to the part you were working on. I wish it would give you the option when you log back in of taking you directly to the last page you had been on when it logged you out.

Joseph Pearson

Sole Proprietorship Taxes

Reviewed 2019-05-16

Overall, turbotax business is a very good product. It has worked for my practice and as a sole proprietorship it is all that is needed versus an accountant. If you need it for an LLC that is too big, an accountant may be a better choice. If one is self-employed, small business, combines personal and business income, then I would highly recommend.

Pros
A. The user interface is friendly compared to other tax software B. The online version at intuit is user friendly in that you can stop & go anytime you want when filling out sections C. Finds a good amount of credits and deductions I never realized existed as a sole proprietorship and money loss. D. Does a good audit/check at the very end so everything appears filled properly E. Cheaper than an accountant for a small business

Cons
A. The tax breaks & credits at the state level sometimes are not always there B. Some sections are a bit confusing but if you cross check the description or on the IRS website it becomes more self explanatory C. Works well for self employed and small business but larger institutions might have more of a headache

Neha Tewari

Worth purchasing for complicated returns!

Reviewed 2018-04-19

Pros
Turbo Tax is one of the easiest tax programs to use. It stands out for how easy it is to use and its intuitive design and flow. It has a free filing option available, but if one want to take advantage of deduction & credits, one need to pay for it. The software lets you import W-2’s as well as your previous year’s return. Turbo Tax also has good tools for finding errors in your return. It runs a complete final check over both state and federal returns to look for errors and see if there are any deductions or credits you missed.

Cons
It’s most expensive software when compared with others. Free version of this is only viable for simple returns. Filing a regular 1040 will need to go with one of the paid versions.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Perfect Way to File Your Own Taxes If you do a Simple return

Reviewed 2018-03-14

Pros
I have been using TurboTax to file my own taxes for about 4 years now. It's consistently getting better and easier to use. My personal information auto-populates from last year and I can import my W-2's easily. It takes me about an hour to file my taxes, quick and easy. I do not have a very complicated tax return but I always feel confident that TurboTax has asked me enough questions to make sure I am getting the maximum return back.

Cons
They charge you more to auto-populate your personal info from last year. I had a question about why I did not qualify for a tax credit this year, none of the help buttons or articles were giving me a clear enough answer. I wanted to speak to a customer service rep in person and I scheduled for them to call me but never received a phone call. When I called I had to go thru the usual automated answer/waiting on hold deal. Defeats the purpose of having a no wait option to request a phone call.

diandra dematao

Amazing for your small business

Reviewed 2019-07-22

Pros
I've used Turbotax on my personal taxes for years now, and am excited to use it for my small contracting business. I love that everything is so easy to use, explained well, and carried year after year. Also, you can always go back and print things and reload if it wont work. In a modern, paperless world, this is so important. Turbotax will always look for tax breaks for you, and will see if you can qualify for more tax credits - something that every small business needs. I've tried other tax software and this is by far my favourite.

Cons
It can add up quickly. The benefits of doing your own taxes are that you save accountant fees. However, this charges you based on your income and tax return ,so that can always become more expensive. On top of that, I always add the audit defence just to be safe, something I've never needed, but is more costly than filing.

User friendly software

Reviewed 2019-02-08

Pros
Has contextual help making it easy for users to navigate through

Cons
Can provide better details on the tax breaks and the tiers based on income

Response from Intuit

Thank you for taking the time to review. It's delightful to hear the program was easy for you to use and navigate.

If you're looking for help with a taxes, look no further than our Community website. This online resource hub has a wealth of knowledge articles and other users you can engage with to gain additional insight into how to handle your taxes. The following link will guide you there.

Additionally, you can get into contact with a QuickBooks-certified bookkeeper or accountant on our ProAdvisor website if you'd like to work with someone more directly: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/find-an-accountant/

Thanks again for reviewing QuickBooks!

Clay, The QuickBooks Team

We love this software

Reviewed 2019-03-26

We love it!

Pros
It's very easy to use for small business owners - it's great to know that you are keeping track of expenses and income daily so that tax time doesn't have to be so stressful

Cons
I have had to have a CPA friend log in to make sure that everything is accounted for correctly

Chris DeLoach

Great option for sole proprietorship

Reviewed 2019-07-30

It has been my choice for tax returns since I started my business. It has made a dreaded task easy not to dread.

Pros
The instructions for use were clear, step-by-step, and easy for me to use. It saved where I left off, so I could work on my taxes for a few minutes at a time and come back to them at a later time.

Cons
Sometimes it was difficult to backtrack through the process when a topic needed to be revisited or data needed to be changed.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Nathaniel Lemke

Great Small Business Tax Option

Reviewed 2019-07-16

Pros
The software is user friendly and allows the user to get help whenever they need it. Which is important

Cons
The software doesn't have any cons that come to mind.

Response from Intuit

Thanks for making our day with this rave review, Nathaniel! One of our goals when designing this software was to make it as user friendly and easy to use as possible, so we're thrilled that you found that to be the case. No matter where your small business journey takes you, count on QuickBooks to back you each step of the way. By the way, if you're ever looking for tips on how to get the most of the software, our free webinars would be worth checking out in your spare time: https://intuit.me/2rDBlWL

Wishing you continued success!
-Kristian, The QuickBooks Team

James Jesson

TurboTax Business Review

Reviewed 2019-10-03

Overall, I enjoy using TurboTax Business to prepare taxes and the desktop application makes it easy to do.

Pros
With TurboTax Business, I really like how the software is set up and how you can click through your Tax return at your own pace or you can follow along step by step. I also really like that they have a feature where you can flag a section you are working on to make a note to return to later, this saves you having to dig through all the documents to find that same spot again.

Cons
There are always a bunch of updates that need to be done and I find this sometimes can take a while to download and load up.

Anonymous

Ease of use and makes my life easier during tax season

Reviewed 2018-03-09

Pros
I really enjoy how easy TurboTax is for users who are not very tax savvy. They usually go through a series of questions to help you understand whether you fit within certain criteria (i.e. if you owe capital gains by asking whether you've sold a house this year, how much, etc). Also makes life easier with the option to submit taxes via online.

Cons
I think it would be nice if they could include a simulation for how much you would owe for taxes with hypothetical questions. As of now, it feels like you need certain documents (i.e. W-4 forms) without just guessing what the numbers could be.

Caroline Harvey

The only way I will do taxes

Reviewed 2019-10-14

overall, I love using turbo tax. I no longer dread tax season, instead I'm excited to log into the program, check out the previous years summary, and file my new information.

Pros
I have been using this software for three tax seasons now and I will never go back. Turbotax is a breeze and I love how you can see your breakdown before you file anything. It is also important that they keep all of your records from previous years.

Cons
nothing is free- but turbotax can be significantly cheaper than hiring a human tax preparer. Alternatively you could attempt to do them yourself, but time is also money.

David OBrien

Quality Product, Saves Money Every Year

Reviewed 2019-07-26

Overall if provides a huge cost savings every year over the same tasks performed by tax professionals.

Pros
TurboTax Business allows you to do many tax tasks that we used to have our CPA do at $150 an hour. You can try different scenarios and see which one helps you the most. Allows you to file tax returns electronicly and gives status emails on the submissions.

Cons
Occasionally there are somewhat confusing answers in the Help Section and you have to reach out just to be sure you are performing things correctly.

Maya Eid

Great product for business owners

Reviewed 2019-11-06

Overall, my experience with TurboTax Business has been pleasant and I will continue to use this software,

Pros
I love that it allows me to keep all of my information together for tax season nicely organized. IT also allows me to easily complete my taxes.

Cons
I think it can have added features to really make it worth the price. Additional features would enhance the functionality and allow the users more bang for their buck.

Julie CLARAHAN

Go To Product

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2019-08-30

Great program. Don't mess around with any other program. I'll stick with TurboTax for personal and business purposes.

Pros
I used this program for personal use only. I find TurboTax to be one of the best tax programs on the market. I helped a friend do their taxes for their small business. TurboTax has everything we needed to do them on our own. It has so many places where we could get our questions asked and it was so easy to use.

Cons
I can't think of anything that I didn't like about the program. It was easy to use, has lots of support areas, and even talking to customer service was easy.

Brian Perkins

The best tax software

Reviewed 2019-06-28

TurboTax business allows the end user to go beyond simple taxes to more complicated tax problems. The ease of searching out answers to complicated questions makes this software invaluable.

Pros
The step by step process allows even the first time user to understand and do their taxes expertly.

Cons
It is not easy to import information from outside of the intuit software. I have not been able to import most W2s and info for deductions leading to manual entry of the data.

Melody Dareing

Turbo Tax Easy, Affordable to Use

Reviewed 2019-06-14

This is an affordable product I used for years for our taxes until our business got too complicated for me to handle it. It was pretty simple to use and the guidance was excellent.

Pros
I like the fact it takes you through the tax paperwork step by step. You can also skip the harder sections where you may need to find paperwork, and go back to sections when you discover an error.

Cons
Sometimes, the E-file is hard to do and it cost more money to use it.

Jhonathan Rodriguez

Turbo Tax is a must!!

Reviewed 2018-05-14

Pros
I use turbo tax every year and it saves me a lot of time from having to go to a tax person! Makes my life easier and I will continue to use them, At first yeah I had my doubts but hearing from a friend that he uses it got me on board.

Cons
No cons here about turbo tax but maybe one which is the constant bombardment of ads to upgrade. Which I understand why but still can be annoying. Like uninstalling antivirus

Anne Murphy

Make Tax Season a little less hectic

Reviewed 2019-04-09

Turbo tax identifies situations that could be tax advantageous and walks you through the steps to ensure you are not losing out on any benefits.

Pros
Turbo Tax has continued to innovate its products over the years and has not rested on its laurels. It provides a multitude of features that streamline the tax process and save time and energy, as well as sanity!

Cons
Nothing wrong with it - saves you a lot of headaches.

Quick and easy taxes

Reviewed 2019-01-09

Pros
This seems to be by far the best software to complete taxes quickly and simply. The basic features are very simple and user friendly

Cons
I found that when trying to use more advanced features or trying to input more complicated information that this software becomes more difficult. Great with simple returns. Not as great when returns are more complicated.

Anonymous

Works very well, and reasonably priced

Reviewed 2019-08-27

excellent.

Pros
it does everything i need it to do. i used to file returns on paper, but then some of the states began requiring electronic filing. this was a very reasonably priced product, and i have been using it for 15+ years.

Cons
sometimes it can have some very obscure bugs, but they always get worked out before i had to file.

Makes Taxes Easy

Reviewed 2019-07-01

Pros
The biggest pro about this is that amount of money it saves me each and every year from having to pay an accountant. Turbo makes it easy to file even if you aren't extremely well versed.

Cons
It did take a little while to get the hang over and seemed overwhelming at first, but I think that is just par for the course.

Saima Huq

This software will change your life

Reviewed 2019-07-30

EXCELLENT. I no longer dread doing my taxes.

Pros
It's step-by-step clear instructions on what you need to look up and enter. It just is very methodical and helps even the most fearful tackle their taxes.

Cons
Nothing. I dislike the alternative of NOT using it. I spent too many years without this software and I am never going back!