Vertex Reviews

Pros

It is good and we have TAm who is really responsible and active in the tickets we raise.

seema m.

Wonderful customer support for helping me to get through how to use this software.

Janet Y.

The variance for a quarter for a significant sales volume between the vertex data and the auditor's evaluation was amazing.

Vaughn R.

Venkat A.

Single point of failure. If any part of the connection to Vertex is down the ERP system is unable to complete jobs.

Nestor F.

Heavy users of this application will find this very frustrating.

Amy N.

4.3

Streamlining tax management

Vertex does it's job and does it well. It has really helped streamline tax calculations for our accounts and creating tax rules is a breeze. I have not had experience in dealing with Vertex customer service. The software communicates almost instantaneously with our ERP which allows order processing to flow without delay.

Pros

Vertex does a great job of calculating tax rates for my company's account and implementing tax rules. We are sitting on 100,000+ accounts in our system. Vertex calculates tax rates based on jurisdiction for each one. It means allowing your ERP system to communicate with Vertex, and vice versa. In order to calculate special rates, such as a reduced California rate, you need to enter a tax rule to deduct the specific rate. Each account receives its own rule.

Cons

The UI is quite dated in my opinion. It's a straight forward software, meant for business applications. There are other software that present a much more modern look. The dated UI doesn't affect performance though. It would be nice if there was an option to store tax certs in the database as well, like Avalara CertCapture.

Very positive overall experience with Vertex for over 10 years

Pros

The customer support and ease of use has been fantastic. I have had to call Vertex for support, for recommendations on doing things and for knowledge on the product. Every single person I have spoke to has been knowledgeable, friendly and quick in getting me answers. It is truly a pleasure to call support. The system is fairly user friendly and even when I forget how to do something, it is like...

Cons

There honestly is not much that I have found that I have not liked. There are sometimes outages, since we are using a cloud based product, and those do cause some orders to go through without the correct taxes being charged. If we could have less outages, or perhaps more notice when there is going to be an outage, then the product really would be perfection. It has gotten better since we first went live and they are less frequent and we do receive more notice when they know there is a repair/update needed. However, that being said, we have never had any issues when they have done upgrades, no problems noticed at all. Possibly, the outages could be more system update or hardware related.

Vertex Tax Engine Review

The Vertex program is sophisticated enough to eliminate a great deal of worry in tax application and keeping up with rate changes. Overall the software is extremely useful for a large corporation such the company I work for, however there are some nuanced tax applications that could be addressed.

Pros

The ability to make specific tax rules that apply to my company's specific industry or transactional situation. Also the ability to not have to worry about tax application in state's with a stratified tax rate being incorrect because of the automation of the Vertex tax engine.

Cons

The fact that the tax categories are not as nuanced as they could be, with options for different transactional scenarios that may affect taxability. Also the fact that one or two types is missing, such as the Service Contractor tax in New Orleans, Louisiana.

We use this for research along with reporting, billing and exemption maintenance.

Sales tax has a lot of little variances across the states, across industries and cross products. The product supports all our changes and updates in a constantly changing market. I have a lot of confidence that this software allows us to consistently bill our customers correctly. Even when there are customers out of city limits getting billed otherwise, we can send the issue to the support team and they research and provide a solution in a very timely fashion. Granted there is not always a solution but that is communicated well.

Pros

We are able to test various scenarios as we expand our product lines and add states. Designing a report that meets your exact needs is helpful when completing returns and the exemption records are neatly stored and easily accessed.

Cons

Adding customers and their certificates can be time consuming since the advanced selection tool now pulls up everything then lets you request a specific account to add to. There is also a lot of date sensitivity that blocks things versus 6.0 which just let it go. Updates to the software are making both of these issues more pronounced.

Best software for sales tax and maangement without the overhead

We were able to get rid of our expensive hosted server solution and the maintenance that came with it. Being able to access Vertex data from anywhere in the world made our team more productive across the board.

Pros

The best part of the cloud was not having to have a dedicated remote server for all our software. The old Vertex ran but required constant maintenance, monthly updates, SQL knowledge. With the cloud, no longer do you worry about down times, corrupted databases and the like. The Vertex team is very helpful from the moment you buy the software. Our support rep spent hours with us configuring everyhting out of the box to our exact specifications

Cons

The cost of the software is pretty immense since you're pretty much renting a server Hold times can be a bit long in the customer support queue SaaS so once you stop paying, you lose access the software and any data if not backed up.

Great product, no issues with incorrect rates. However, continued issues with invalid TAID

Correct sales and use tax calculation for US and Canada.

Pros

Smooth integration with SAP (however, not clear on which fields are exchanged), correct rate calculation.

Cons

Logs are as good as unusable when you have large transaction volumes, so figuring out why something happens is a nightmare. Continued issues with invalid TAID (jurisdiction codes in SAP), we update as soon as files come out and still have many customers that requires manual updates. We have been working with support for a long time and still not a good solution. Very frustrating. Configuration in the config files on the server is not userfriendly at all. Very hard to figure out what all we have set up. Would be much better if it could sit in the Vertex O webtool. Better visibility of exemption certificates in the ERP system would be a big plus for a direct marketing company like ours.

O Series has enabled us to expand into additional states with ease

Before Vertex O Series, our sales tax filing process was mostly manual, gathering data and using spreadsheets to create the returns. We have tripled our tax filing jurisdictions since going on O Series and would not have been able to keep up with our growing business without Vertex. The technical support team has helped us when setting up unusual tax rules that do not come standard with the software.

Pros

O Series makes it easy to add new states to the system for collecting sales tax. Most tasks are performed on user-friendly screens and a transaction tester is provided to test updates made to O Series.

Cons

Not all of the charges we bill our customers have tax rules set up in O Series so we have to create our own rules for mapping and update the rules as tax laws change.

Must have product for Large enterprise

Great experience overall for a large enterprise in automating the tax engine seamlessly, the O series has been more comprehensive than the past series.

Pros

Great piece of tax software for SAP users Very seamlessly use across the board Updated are great Saves tons of time and money on audit and overall efficiencies

Cons

More global support Support for all types of taxes across the globe so large enterprises have on tax solution

Dear Vertex O Series Customer, Everyone at Vertex appreciates it when a customer takes the extra time to write such a great review! Thank you for providing your feedback of Vertex O Series on Capterra. Jen Armstrong Digital Marketing Specialist Vertex Inc.

Great tool, but internally we needed MUCH better requirements gathering in hindsight.

From an IT perspective, none honestly. It is a maintenance and support nightmare. However, in all fairness to Vertex, I feel this can be mostly if not completely attributed to our internal lack of sufficient requirements gathering before implementation.

Pros

The potential tax savings and benefits it can uncover. As well as the gaps it has helped identify in some of our processes.

Cons

The cumbersome cloning and configurations requirements have proved to be especially difficult or time consuming throughout the process.

Great!

Customer services is good.

Pros

Reliability of the software, I can count on the fact that its right.

Cons

Trying to find things but luckily I can call and they will either send it to me or point me in the direction.

Vertex O series

I am supporting vertex O series from last 2.5 years and i feel its very easy to use.

Pros

We are using Vertex O series 6.0 & 7.0 version and its simply to use and all the materials are self explanatory. Monthly updates are on time and easy to upload them to application. Haven't see any bug with these updates. All the updates are very well tested, so we don;'t see much issues while supporting this application. UI is getting better and better.

Cons

I pretty much liked the software, I didnt find any cons, let you know if i find any. Customer support is not proactive and they are not responding on time for SEV 1 issues, Customer care response time should be looked upon.

Vertex cloud is very accurate and easy to use for small to medium size businesses.

accurate tax calculations, low cost of ownership, easy to learn

Pros

The value for the money spent makes this solution a wise investment. There is no server maintenance or monthly tax rate update files to be applied. The application can accommodate customer and product level taxability decisions.

Cons

The features and functionality of the cloud product vs. O-series are very different. There are very few customizations/configuration changes that can be done following implementation that do not involve additional developer cost. The processing time to save a customer exemption certificate is excessive. Heavy users of this application will find this very frustrating. Customer support is also very different from O-series in that the communication is via e-mail and the response time is often much slower with support reps being less knowledgeable about the application and its functionality.

Vertex O Series is an easy to use, simple to maintain system for tax determination & calculation

Pros

The system is extremely flexible when it comes to setting up drivers to determine tax ability. A tool is provided to test your calculations without having to post a transaction through your main transactional system. Keeping the system up to date with the latest tax matrices is as easy as it is to upload a picture to social media.

Cons

The only minus is that the master data in our ERP system sometimes has to be updated for new tax jurisdictions. We need to look into a background job that touches this master data after Vertex is updated.

O-Series - great for multi-state nexus retailers

O-series is a very robust product. Very user friendly and intuitive. Allows for easy customization of customer taxing, taxpayer set up and product taxing attributes. Very accurate tax rates, easy to maintain and integrate with most accounting platforms.

Pros

The application is highly customizable using user-defined tax rules in combination with the out of the box rates and tax driver matrixes.

Cons

The support is sometimes slow to respond and does not always find a solution to the problems that you may encounter leaving some of the troubleshooting to your internal IT department.

Great product

I have been using Vertex for 13 years I find it a very user friendly product and the customer service it great. Any issues I have are dealt with on the very first phone call.

Pros

I love the features I can create a file to upload into the online filing so I don't have to key in all the info.

Cons

I don't like that after I start filing I get a Critical changes email. Sometimes I get it after I filed the return. They should be up on any changes before the returns module comes out to begin with.

Always good response from

It makes my job much easier as I know I can rely on the best calculations out there. I don't have to worry about whether the rates are current.

Pros

The accuracy of the calculations makes this a terrific tool, especially when preparing for audits. The states are hungry for funds and Vertex helps me send them away with little to no money.

Cons

Not being able to use the tab key thru each field makes the program more difficult to use. Also it would help if I was able to add the tax certs when I add the customer.

Use almost daily to check exemption certificate status and/or pull data extracts

ease of obtaining data, simplicity of inputting exemption certificates, use of plain addresses to obtain jurisdiction and tax information, ability to test transactions to determine if tax is charged correctly

Pros

easy to get tax jurisdiction information, tax rates, validate exemption certificates, data retrieval, set up taxability mapping

Cons

creating rules; obtaining data extracts without getting extraneous data, setting up customized taxability categories; reviewing tax mapping to categories and products

Vertex O Series

Pros

I like about the updates that go in to every patch monthly which we least bother about the Tax changes across global. We operate globally and this is the best I feel about.

Cons

It is difficult to use and the main is search does not work as intended and backspace. There are some forms where these two mentioned don't work and highly difficult in terms of usage. Thanks, venkat

Vertex shines in the Reports

Easy of filing is a plus. Setting up custom tax categories has helped

Pros

The Tax reports/Returns are mostly spot on. I work on 220 returns which Vertex tracks, once I understood the States layouts and how well Vertex matches each, filing has become very easy

Cons

Credits are always hard to track. Sometimes Vertex applies a credit and the State does not handle the credit the same way. Manual adjustment to the tax records which the tax returns calculate from are confusing Being able to "void" test data would be a plus.

Meet my expectation.

Pros

Currently meeting our needs for our tax service but we are exploring adding other regions. I have nothing further to add other then my first statement.

Cons

This does not happen often but sometime trying to find the answer without having to contact Customer Support. I have nothing further to add other then my first statement.

Generally excellent

Monthly accrual and tax returns

Pros

adaptability, web service ease of use is a great time saver for one off transaction input and testing.

Cons

Data update process - significant work needs be done to speed the updates re sql server. the approach used seems inefficient. Error logging levels re address cleansing failures are cryptic at best.

We have used Vertex for over a decade. Very solid product and great support - in the unlikely event

Big gains in the efficiency of managing sales tax - from the calculation on the order to the filing of returns. We were able to reduce the time required from technical team in supporting since most admin can be handles by the functional group.

Pros

The application administration is built for the functional users - very little support required from a technical standpoint.

Cons

Great Experience, highly recommended.

Pros

Vertex is always willing to help out, whether's it a simple question on software functionality or a more indepth question on TaxAreaIDs - they're always quick w/ a response.

Cons

Vertex could do a better job of communicating their road map for the On-Demand instance as well as the upgrade schedules.

Vertex Review

We use Vertex for sales, use and returns processing. All three have performed very well.

Pros

Vertex performs well and is reliable for most of the transactions we use.

Cons

Customer support can be slow and solutions are not always satisfactory. Wish there was better interaction design for manufacturing purchases.

We use vertex with our ERP system for the tax table updates.

Pros

Vertex stays up to date with the code from our ERP system. It is a rarity that the tax table and our code for ERP system is not in sync and issues need to be filed.

Cons

Not much I don't like about vertex. The customer support is great and knowledgeable about the software.