athenaOne Reviews - Page 3

Best so far

This is my second EHR for my practice and I also use Epic for inpatient work at hospital. I have looked at many EHRs and there is no such thing as the perfect one. However, Athena meets my needs most of the time and is by far the best of the bunch I have encountered to date.

Pros

Fairly easy to use and fairly Mac friendly. The billing side of the service is fantastic and best in class as far as I can tell. They could not do a better job of making sure I get all of my money - payments as well as incentives.

Cons

Template and Macro generation is a bit clunky. Really all the same stuff one can encounter with just about any EHR.

Athena is great!

I love Athena! It's easy to use and is MUCH better than our previous EMR system. I love the reporting capabilities. The CSC is always helpful, and I love the new option to enter cases online versus being on the phone!

Pros

Great reporting capabilities - I used to have to manually enter info on spreadsheets, but Athena has tons of great reports built and you can customize your own reports as well. Easy to use! The system is very robust and Athena does a good job of staying ahead of the game regarding new and future law/regulation/requirement changes.

Cons

The medication section of Intake is time consuming because we have to click on each medication to see if it's a current med or historical and we need to Hide it. We would love to see more customization of the patient portal so we could build our own questions to match what we ask on our printed Health History forms and have the info populate the correct fields in Athena.

The Review

The new upgrade has completed. We have several employee s who only have half of the new streamlined system. There are some of us who only have the new version and some who only have the old version. I believe Athena should of worked out all the issues before going live.

Pros

It is a new system and once we get to use it more we will be able to see the strengths and weakness of the system.

Cons

We were not told of the features that were being removed. I understand we must adapt to change. I 'm curious which practices you interviewed to determine that certain features were no longer needed so you deleted them with the new upgrade. I don't feel that my staff learned the information they need through the tutorials.

EMR Software

Been on Athena approximately 18 months now. The transition was difficult as we are a very busy practice but it gets better daily. The financial side is a whole other situation - speaking as a coder/biller this program can be a nightmare.

Pros

Great chart - the medical record portion is outstanding. Being able to have everything in one place and minimal time wasted on medical records requests.

Cons

As I stated previously, the billing portion of the software is every biller's nightmare. The coding and reimbursement portion is not truly in our control as Athena can make changes on claims as they deem necessar. Also there are many claims the payer states are paid or have been paid and the money is not found anywhere. Too many unpostable issues, to many missing eobs, too many tiers of support - very unsatisfied with this part of the program. Having to correct posting of Athena posted payments makes double work. Also having to post payments or adjustments where things are adjusted off to global incorrectly is also double work

Athena review

Pros

User friendly

Cons

Not enough options to close outstanding patient cases. Often can’t complete a task due to pt non-compliance, no option to indicate this.

Office Manager

We have been using Athena for over 5 years. We are satisfied and would recommend it.

Pros

Their customer service is exceptional to a different EHR we previously had. I have not had one person who was not in the United States. You can always speak to a live person. I have yet to have any calls outsourced to a foreign country. The Streamlined clinical portion is quite simple, as with everything there is a learning curve.

Cons

No onsite training. Impression was given that maybe you would need less staff, however we did not feel this was the case for our practice. Too many features you do not use or have time to use in a busy office.

EMR in outpatient surgery clinic

Pros

Athenahealth is easy to learn and train other personnel for use. It is also easily adaptable to physician's preferences. Athena service has also updated features based on feedback from physicians which is great.

Cons

I wish the training video was geared towards clinic use. The training sessions showed me how to use different billing features but was missing information on how to use the chart and schedule. This was quite a few years ago when we first started with Athena so this may have changed already, but I'm not aware. I also would like training videos for new personnel to watch. Right now, office personnel are training new employees. I know other EMRs have training videos which one can watch which would be helpful and more efficient use of time. The mobile app isn't very good so I can't do much on my phone. That really needs to be fixed.

Athenahealth EMR Review

Overall there are many good qualities with Athenahealth. I would recommend it to my collegues.

Pros

Appointment scheduling is pretty user-friendly. It would be helpful to have a more defined weekly page with better shading or coloring for a quick weekly glance. I like the appointment waiting list. I also like the drop-down menus.

Cons

I am not fond of the Templets. There needs to be a way to allow notes on the templates for follow up. It is difficult to see what templets are being used and which ones need to be rolled back. Also, the I do not think learning portal is not very helpful, and there needs to be a better training program especially for templets. It would be helpful to have a reminder that pops up for alerts for billing or appointments or admin. The reminder calls sometimes cut off. There need to be better follow-ups on complicated claims.

As part of the admin team, the reporting feature is top notch.

Pros

I do not use this software from a clinical perspective. The layout is aesthetically appealing and it has an IM feature to send quick messages. From a reporting standpoint, setting up reports and building them from scratch couldn't be easier. It's very simple to export the reports to excel or Tableau for even better analysis. It does come with prebuilt reports. If you need to create a custom report, there is a report building feature that walks you through the steps. For the most part, Athena does a good job at defining the fields, but sometimes it does require some trial and error.

Cons

Though the software has really user friendly reporting features, sometimes the data itself does not make sense. For instance, we ran a report for no shows and there were instances of 1 no show/0 booked slot. There are also different report categories that include/exclude certain types of data. ie you may not find certain billing data in a clinical category report.

Athena EMR

Initially Athena appears intimidating to use, but once you get the hang of it, its a breeze. I really like that it comes with epocrates.

Pros

It comes with Epocrates. Not once since we have had this software has it went down. Customer support is great at fixing your problems right away.

Cons

When adding Lab orders and Imaging orders if you are using different facilities sometimes you have to go in and change the facility or the items you are trying to order will not pull up. It is frustrating when you are in a rush. The software will assume you are ordering for just one facility and tell you order not available at this facility so you will have to take extra steps to change to facility to order the specific item. Therefore you are switching back and forth between different screens. This does not happen for me often but when it does happen of course I am always backed up with patients.

Good product that has its faults

Athena's system over-all has helped us with compliance and tracking of accounts receivable. The rules system and scrubbing process for claims are a work in progress but as you create more billing rules, there are fewer denials on the back end. I find the system to be a little slow, but overall is quite functional to our needs. Our staff has found the system to be easy to use. We have found the more time you spend creating templates the quicker the patient flow is. There are some billing issues that were not talked about on the front end such as web access for some payers which delayed payment on claims and resolving that was and continues to be quite time-to consume. Overall the system works as advertised and has been helpful to our office flow, claims, and A/R.

Pros

Easy to follow claims and a/r with work flows on every claim. Easy office pt work flow

Cons

The system itself runs slowly regardless of the computer its run on. The system is a little convoluted and can be hard to navigate. Some system billing errors, specifically w/ dme that had to be resolved. Does not handle referral needs well, must create custom rules. Given how important this is, it should be integrated into the system but isn't.

Once you get past the learning curve Athena is good!

Eventually, we learned to work with Athena and for the most part it works quite well. Sadly we couldn't continue to use Athena because they wouldn't do J-code carve outs.

Pros

Electronic scanning/faxing. This is genius! The system does a lot electronically which helped us to trim our staff.

Cons

Billing is okay. Occasionally claims would be in Athena Hold and I wouldn't know they were there until they were past timely filing limits. After many phone calls, Athena couldn't give a good reason why they weren't dropped. Athena writes charges off after a certain time period. That's not good. Patient charge screens can be very difficult to interpret. Claims that are worked by Athena are no help at all. They leave pointless notes on the claims and don't actually resolve the issue. It takes our billing lady one phone call and she gets it taken care of.

Great EMR

Overall, Athena is really good at helping you do everything you need to do in order to take care of your patients. Their visit summaries and their order is great, claim billing is easy, and this EMR has a lot of great features.

Pros

Ease of claim billing, check-in process flows really well, and the in-take is also easy all you have to do is follow the steps. Like how the system does confirmation calls, and they provide patient portal access which a lot of our patients love.

Cons

The only con I have is sometimes if there is a claim with a specific error, you really have to spend time to push it through, and if there is an Athena rule in place, you have to get a few people involved.

Thinking about moving.

CSM care about the product, it's good when it works, but not liking it when I'm looking at my bank account and can't bill patients, patient accounts are wrong and my bank is light over 10k. Get your payer table spaces correct so that when you bill they are sent to the correct payer.

Pros

I really liked the machine learning part, sold one way but in reality, doesn't hit all the marks. We do like the patient care part, health history, and document management.

Cons

Billing, and medical bills. I'm writing this review because they are currently 2 months behind in updating billing and processing my checks. It's just not me that's having this issue, yes covid. However, that train has left. Athena took their invoice amount for last month but they haven't processed my checks to fill that void, don't do athena billing. Everything should be EFT straight to your bank, doing that now but have 9k sitting somewhere until they get people to process their payment.

Great product with small things that can be improved

I've been using Athena for the past 2.5 years. It has gone through some major changes during that time, all of which I believe are improvements in its functionality and ease of use. As a physician I find it incredibly easy to navigate through my notes and the patients chart while I am in the note. I can add orders while I am on the same page as my HPI or Exam. I can pull up labs and view them in a flowsheet format without losing my place in the note/encounter. Overall it is a great system.

Pros

Great customer support, great ease of use, functions very smoothly

Cons

Lots of smaller (and sometimes big) things that Athena can improve on that seemingly drags its feet with. They offer a "ideas" or suggestions page where we as users can vote on ideas which is great, but it seems like many of these ideas are ignored or not prioritized.

Physician reviewer

Pros

Very easy to document. Pop Management tools AthenaText feature is very useful in communicating throughout the practice

Cons

The inbox email features are a little cumbersome and if you are not careful you can end up sending messages to the unintended end user.

Previous Software User

Our practice utilized the Athena Health PM system for approximately 7 years. We had a partial outsource agreement with them for our AR, payment posting and billing, and our team handled denials. Their customer support was great to provide one call resolution where possible. We did run into some issues with our payers with regard to their out-sourced team, but we were able to work through those. I would...

Pros

Prepayment collections features, canned reports

Cons

Ability for on-the-fly insurance payer adds, clunky report building when outside of the canned reporting

Physician - Owner; Internal medicine practice

I had Allscripts before this EMR for ten years. Horrible customer service. I had eMDS after Allscripts - more horrible service and a disaster of a product that was nearly non-functional. I believe that Athena is the best that there currently is. I would not change and it has helped my bottom line and satisfaction in practice. No EMR is going to save you time - all they do is keep you honest in reporting and decrease your risk of accidentally over billing due to lack of documentation.

Pros

It handles the changes to the healthcare environment; ie MACRA, MIPS, Meaningfull use, automatic vaccine/ pharmaceutical data download. Electronic prescribing including controlled substances.

Cons

Time consuming like most EMRs. There really isn't a significant negative for this product. Requires that you take the time to customize and streamline for your workflow.

Review of Athenahealth EMR

Although my experience with this particular EMR was brief, I was training staff on it for another office. I was able to see it s limitations and determine it would be a problem for this practice. I have had 46 years of medical office management with several different practice management and EMR systems.

Pros

I appreciate some of the charting and reporting features. Since this software is typically used for multiple locations it is very helpful data can be combined for correct analysis. I also appreciate the ability to communicate across the other facilities.

Cons

I feel it is extremely necessary for the front office staff to have the upper hand when making appointments and not having the balance or even the billing situation available while scheduling an appointment is a significant draw back to me. I prefer to review data "Mrs. Jones there was a problem with your insurance claim 3 weeks ago, you will need to call your insurance and get that resolved or be prepared to pay $XX.Xx when you check in today".

Customer support is AWESOME

I have appreciated that AH has very experienced success managers who are there to keep me efficient and always improving. Efficient billing.

Pros

Easy to use. Comes with plenty of education modules.

Cons

have to keep up with the regular updates.

NP using Athena EMR

I have used Athena and 2 other major EMR Brand recently. Athena is by far the better option. Documentation made easy, efficient and easily accessible. With the new streamline, the trends of vitals and labs are now better than previous. Good tool for communication between staff and patients. Communication between offices (referrals) is becoming easier and more clear. I would highly recommend Athena over the other major Brands I have utilized for efficiency, ease of use.

Pros

trends are great, communication is a great tool which is placed directly into their chart notes. Quality tab makes keeping up to date on preventative services easy.

Cons

Many Many Many duplicates of labs, consult reports, ER reports etc through the interface. Takes time signing off documents which many times are duplicates. at times difficult to determine where a document has been filed.

Overall Athena is a great idea, great product. Would like to see quicker improvements/tweaks

The foundation is good, the support could be better.

Pros

Flows overall efficiently, well integrated system; scheduling, clinic notes, billing, patient portal.

Cons

The things that don't work or need tweaking, do not get resolved quickly. The Past medical history section, flow sheets, quality management sections take a long time to load, the pages glitch and stall - really affect efficiency. Generating reliable data in the quality metrics is difficult and similar reports yield different data which questions the validity of the reporting. Some canned reports I've found included the mid-level providers but didn't provide data on the physicians. Solving these problems is difficult and time consuming; a ticket can take weeks to be assigned, then reassigned after further questions.

Tracknet to Athena

Pros

Adaptability and ancillary functions reducing the need for extra employees

Cons

Template building, cost. It is expensive but you get more services than any other EMR programs. Template building is ponderous

my small OBGYN practice

after slogging for 8 years with an inferior EMR and billing system(allscripts), i decided to take the plunge and bought Athena in AUg 2012. Certainly as you can imagine, changing billings systems was not easy with down time and claims across two systems but we got that worked out . the best feature of this is of course the EMR, the layout the reminders and all that Athena does so much better than the others.It has been a tremendous pleasure to enjoy working on the clinical side with built in reminders for improved reimbursement.I never looked back and am happy to say that I recommend to many of my independant private practice colleagues.

Pros

the emr is elegant,easy, and straight forward.

Cons

the transition from one system to another was burdensome. but that was awhile ago. I am sure this has improved.

Intuitive

Pros

One they pitched the product to use they kept saying the product was intuitive. After using for a year know I could not agree more. It is very user friendly. Allows for different styles and helps MIPS compliance. Have seen an increase in revenue. No shows are decreasing. Been very please with the product

Cons

Can be an issue with MAC users, but many times there is work arounds