athenaOne Reviews - Page 7

Improving!

In my opinion, Athena is a great program to use. After the recent "Streamline" update the staff has had difficulties adjusting to the new look but doctors have found it to be more convenient. I think overall Athena continues to improve with updates and I have noticed many other medical offices have started to use Athena.

Pros

Recent activity in the patient's chart. Doctors have recommended the new streamline update because it makes it easier for them to dictate.

Cons

Too much clicking and difficult to find documents and orders. For example, not everyone scans documents in the same place. Unable to show patient alerts or reminders needed during an appointment. For example, the patient is in pain management but continues to ask for pain medication during an appointment. There is not a way to flag this for the doctor. Athena slows down while trying to put in orders from time to time. No ability to change patient status or room number while in the exam. No longer shows patient body part in the top right of the screen while in the encounter. Unable to open an order listed on the left of the patient's chart, such as medications to see what user created the order.

Overall, satisfied

Easy to learn. Makes charting smooth. A lot of support initially, lots of good resources. Collections have been good.

Pros

The cloud makes it easy access. You can smoothly order within chart and send referrals, export notes, ammend notes. Plenty of templates to choose from.

Cons

Sometimes things don't save. Need a second set of training after initial use for all the features.

Athena

Athena is a great product if you are just going to use it and do the billing on your own (in house). The monthly cost is outrageous given all of the errors they make on posting and the terrible customer support. We also experienced many issues with the reminder call service leaving blank or incorrect messages. I can say that the program is VERY easy to navigate, the patient portal is a nice layout, the interfaces work very well for labs, faxes and pharmacy requests. Overall I would not recommend Athena to anyone because of the cost and the horrible customer service and repeated billing mistakes.

Pros

user friendly sorts electronic faxes electronic orders assists with MU reporting nice/patient friendly patient portal appointment reminders AR/productivity reports are easy to read and run

Cons

customer service is severely lacking chronic problems with posting payments EOB erros document issues the cost is crazy high issues with reminder calls not being sent correctly

Straight to the point

I believe Athena's billing system is easy to navigate and use; the scheduling system is fine however there are some things that I wish were corrected (such as the reminder call glitches)

Pros

Insurance "View Detail" function is great for easy review of a plan.

Cons

Reminder calls are not consistent - at times patients are called months in advance for an exam; ideally, the call should be around 5 days before the exam. New GPIS system is okay, but not as different (or easy) as we were told it would be.

Athena Review

This is the only medical record system I have used so overall I am pleased with the system.

Pros

The overall presentation is simple and functional; the schedule preview page is one of my favorite features and the ability to select which providers schedules you wish to preview allows for easy access.

Cons

Inability to complete full psych treatment plans directly in the system; we have to use a separate system to develop ISPs and transfer into Athena.

Athena vs RCM

Overall, Athena is a good EMR / EHR to use. You can also sign up for their billing portion and pay less to an RCM team so it gives you good options.

Pros

I like the fact that it gives clients the ability to both have an EMR / EHR and also outsource billing at the same time.

Cons

Sometimes the Athena team doesn't talk or convey information back to the billing management team. This can cause confusion in cases like accounts that have been sent to collections.

Best EHR on the market

Pros

Athena is simple, easy to use, and intuitive for the user. Take this with a grain of salt since no EHR is perfect, but after using 10+ in different situations Athena Clinicals takes the cake. The layout is simple to understand and charting is straightforward.

Cons

Athena has some glitches that all seem to be pretty random. Unfortunately, fixing them has been a trial and error situation but most we can work around.

This reviewer only left a rating

Our small family practice with two doctors and 1 physician's assistant has been using athenaCollector since 2001, making it much easier for my front office staff to concentrate on what is really important--our patients! They do not have to waste time with billing problems, posting checks, chasing insurance denials-athena does it all for us. In 2008 we started athenaClinicals with athenaCommunicator,...

Athena Review

Overall I am very happy with Athena. I do have some issues with getting problems resolved. It would be nice to have a contact person who could help your practice. It was great in the beginning when we were going through training but now it is difficult to get questions answered.

Pros

I am very happy with the ease of submitting claims and the follow-up by Athena.

Cons

I think there are parts that are not user friendly and confusing about how to do. I have more or less given up on trying to call and get an issue resolved. I have spent lots of time just holding for someone to answer a question. Most of the time the first person you get can not answer the question

frustrated user

Pros

Easy charting. The billing software works well. There is little else positive I can say.

Cons

There are multiple clinically important flaws within the software. The medication list that the patient sees has no resemblance to the true list that the physician sees. Inaccurate information abounds. The patient sees no instructions on how to take their meds. The completed clinic note is jumbled, with the HPI buried halfway between the Review of Systems and the Family History. It takes 15 clicks...

run away...very fast

I would NEVER recommend this system to anyone that has any knowledge on how claims and payments should be worked and posted. It's a nightmare.

Pros

Easy to use from a claims submission stand point after that it goes down hill fast.

Cons

Do NOT let Athena co-source with you and do your claims follow up and payments!!

A dynamic practice management solution to stay independent

Pros

Love the level of support and the consistent improvements that develop without additional cost. The product has evolved dramatically in the past 6.5 years I have used it and accounts for 2-3 employees (that don't get sick).

Cons

This company continues to grow leaps and bounds every year and as such support is currently going through some growing pains. I have inquired about this and it is something that is on the top of the tune up list. Its not cheap... but you do get what you pay for.

user friendly

Pros

claims can be caught prior to leaving the system for corrections user friendly, easy to navigate all aspects of patient chart are on the same page

Cons

Athena reps work the denials, but they still have to be worked by us.They are never fully argued or disputed. its a hassle when athena states something is against ins policy, but you have claims that are paid and would like to override that function.

This reviewer only left a rating

I work at a 7 MD and 1 NP pediatric practice in Massachusetts and Connecticut. We were on paper (looseleaf and staples and rubber stamps) until late 2009 when we were rescued by athenaHealth. The beauty of athenaClinicals is that there is only one version of athenaClinicals, and that is the updated version. They update for us and it is constantly being updated. The great thing about athena is that...

Cons

Satisfactory EHR for charting, but lacking in billing and A/R support

I'd explore other EHRs first.

Pros

Ease of use clinical documentation, templates are fairly user friendly and help expedite the charting process at point of care

Cons

What's the use of good charting when they cannot sufficiently process claims? They keep losing us money on so many claims. Won't complete certain claim forms properly. Their customer service stinks, don't help us with this issue to see it through despite so many attempts by our billing office. I get the sense AthenaHealth knows they are too large to care about just one client. Such an arrogant way of thinking.

I am very happy with my decision to use Athena as my EHR

Pros

I like being able to take care of tasks at anytime and anywhere at my convenience. I call support twice a month, and my experience has been excellent. I would say that the support staff that I have spoken to are extremely helpful and polite, and are able to resolve my issues 95 % of the time.

Cons

I cannot always understand the notes written by the claims processing people when I have to review a claim that has a problem. Fortunately, this is less than 5 % of my claims.

Billing

The whole experience converting was horrible. I basically taught myself how the software worked and found myself teaching Athena CSC Reps how to find things or move around within the software. Our product managers were inadequate i think we have gone through 5 so far. I am continually finding payments that were never posted to patients or having eob's reentered due to posting errors. Adjustments...

Pros

NONE

Cons

minimal trained customer service, unable to reach supervisors or escalate calls to a supervisor on the fly; minimal insurance verifications ; routing is sloppy; claims appealed incorrectly; eobs posted incorrectly; insurance payers changed in error; upgrades cause havoc; Financial Controls Center states a lot of $$ but there are many "if this " or " if that" and subject to interpertation. Performance review has tons of holes in it. Had to hire more people due to the ineffective time consuming software in all departments.

Really Investigate the Product before Deciding

Athena staff do not understand our business as we are heavy in behavioral services and provide fewer primary care services. Posting staff just write off services for invalid reasons as they don't understand behavioral services. Even staff that we have been assigned as our account managers do not communicate very well. We were told originally that we would have monthly calls and that never happened either.

Pros

The ease of creating claims and being submitted daily to payers. Updates are managed by Athena. Encounter documentation is easy for staff to complete.

Cons

Difficulty in reviewing patient accounts and not having the ability to see a patient's ledger in an easily readable format. Reporting limitations and inability to do customizations and unable to require data to be completed in encounter notes. Appointment scheduling is cumbersome and defining staff schedules is very difficult to create and maintain. Inability for Athena to appropriately and easily manage our enhanced behavioral health services. Even though encounter documentation is easy for staff to complete, on the flip side that affects the quality of the documentation entered.

Athena health very time consuming to use, lack of direction provided from athena health as to flow and productivity.

Athena has been a real disappointment and hassle to deal with. I spend more time on Athena EMR then I do with patients. This was not the case with out other two EMR systems. We just wanted to combine billing and patient's notes in one system thus we switched to Athena.

Pros

It is an EMR system to use, can communicate with patients on the portal but have not way of avoiding portal communication.

Cons

Lack of knowledge when you call for support at Athena. Many times I call for assistance and the have no answer and have to get back to you. Inefficient. They state you make more money with them since they have high rate of patient collection. However, we have more patients then ever before with outstanding bills and Athena fail to follow up on patients and these unpaid balances. There is no support...

Truthful Review of Athena Clinicals

Overall, Athena is a good system. As far as the billing, there needs to be improvement. We have had the system for 2 years now.

Pros

Ease of use with med records, orders, etc.

Cons

The billing needs some help. Many times we are not made aware of claim problems and then when they finally put it in manager hold, the timely filing limit is past so then the claim has to be written off. There needs to be more internal timely follow up from Athena

2017 Q1 Review

We are very pleased with Athena Health. It facilitates our work and helps us to be very efficient.

Pros

Ease of use. Availability of information. Metrics

Cons

Sentinel Dashboard Metrics: my employees question the accuracy and validity of Athena Metrics. We use these Metrics to manage their performance and provide quarterly bonuses. I need to spend a lot of time validating the data and demonstrating the accuracy of the metrics. Would be great if Athena provided a tools that explains all metrics to employees, how they are measured and what they can do to improve performance.

Business Office Manager

This particular call did not help resolve my problem. We went live with Streamline today and were having several issues. Mine was in relation to workflow for entering charges. Streamline crippled my previous workflow and CSC couldn't guide me in it, however after about 1 1/2 hours I came up with and alternate route that I can live with.

Pros

Auto eligibility, worklist and bucket functionality, family billing, reports

Cons

Posting efficiency and reliance on claim notes being accurate. Not being able to send all my BCBS claims to a package set up specifically for Ky patients.

ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!!

Pros

Super easy to learn and use. This program takes a lot of the guess work out of processes providing detailed directions, videos and customer service support. Claims are easy to create and bill out. The A\R functionality of it is absolutely amazing.

Cons

There are no true Cons to this program. If there is every an issue, ATHENA works diligently to rectify any negative situations.

Athenahealth EMR and Practice management billing

We have been on Athena for four and a half years now and I like it overall I think the practice management side is better than the EMR function It is an expensive system overall but I think they do a good job on billing and tech support is good. The quality management piece and some of the past medical history sections are really awkward to use. The management of paper in the office is good and we...

Billing Manager

We would have get the software if we could have not used your billing people just the system

Pros

I love the friendly user aspect. It is easy to navigate. Most information was right on the screen so you did not have to toggle.

Cons

The RCM - the fact Athena outsources to a different country and they make many many mistakes. The posting mistakes are horrible. They contradict their notes.