EpicCare EMR Logo

4.4

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.23/10

Reviews by rating

I really liked that it was easy to navigate and easy to find what I need for my patients. I like that you have to enter in certain information in order to move forward.
I have worked with several different electronic medical record resources through my educational career, but this one champions all the rest. It has an excellent, user friendly interface.
Perhaps that is a limitation set up by my provider but that's annoying that I can't message a doctor from several years ago.
Steep learning curve, and i'm not even sure if that's something that can be fixed. People that have had other systems and are older struggle sometimes.

Tim B.

Systems Engineer

The industry leader for reliable Electronic Medical Record

Transcript

Tim B.: Hi, I'm Tim. I'm a systems engineer. I give EpicCare EMR a five out of five. For more reviews...

RW

Rachel W.

Bookkeeper

Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees

Great set up

Transcript

Rachel: My name is Rachel. I'm a social worker. I give EpicCare EMR, a four out of five stars. For more...

Kyle W.

Possibilities are unlimited

I have been using EpicCare EMR for over 2 years not and there isn't much bad i can say about it. Compared to most other EMR software out there it is far ahead of its competition. It's simplistic yet versatile design has made everyday challenges much easier for both healthcare employees and its patients.

Pros

Epic is extremely versatile in its ability to provide a lot of functions to its users in the healthcare settings. With its new updates setting up orders for patients have never been easier. From medication reconciliation to appointment scheduling to its organization of encounters and medical history, there isn't much epic cannot due.

Cons

Customer support/service is not very receptive to user friendly changes that are requested when it comes to simple tasks that could be made easier by the input of a button or checkbox in certain areas. Downtime for service is can also be problematic if it needs to be performed during work hours which has happened a few times.

RJ

Renee J.

Medical Practice, 201-500 employees

Epic is good!

What our practice is solving with Epic is the hunt for medical records and patient information. The switch has made it so we are more efficient with our patient care.

Pros

I like the ease of use. Everything is pretty self explanatory and using the software can cut down on time spent doing any one task. In our practice, we converted to share the EHR system with a local hospital and its practices, cutting down on any type of hunt for medical records

Cons

Yes, there is more than one way to do everything, but the process in which to get from point A to point B can be frustrating and long. A lot of clicking and doing things you may have already done before. If you know how to get around it, it can be easy, but those who struggle with technology might not find it as easy.

AS

Ashley S.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Everyday user

I use it daily for my job duties. It's great that we are moving away from paper to everything being electronic and all in one place. So many providers use EPIC so it's a place that you can get more information on a patient and collaborate to make sure your patient's health care needs are being met.

Pros

There are so many features built into EPIC that are very helpful for everyday use as a Social Worker. I use multiple features in EPIC such as charting notes, secure chats with providers, assessments, LPOC, chart review, appointment reminders and so much more. It's great that you can kind of built your layout how you want it by switching the toolbar to display mostly used items.

Cons

It's always updating and changing which can get a little frustrating when you are a newer user.

BH

Bei H.

The worst end

It’s not designed to help pts. It’s designed to maximize billing .

Pros

Care everywhere helps with looking at info from other institutions

Cons

The implementation of this software at our hospital was a disaster. Orders were incorrect . Some medications were 10x the dose. There were no epic super users nearby. Because orders were built incorrectly, a pharmacist could change an order of mine without my cosignature and it was an erroneous change that could have resulted in a patient death. There is no quality control with the rollout . Many of...

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

Many helpful features but it could be easier to navigate

Pros

I like that Epic offers "Smart Phrases" and "Smart Lists" so you can create phrases or templates for Treatment Plans, Progress Notes, and Discharge Notes. I also appreciate the ability in the "Exercises" flowsheet to populate exercise names and parameters from previous visits into the current visit (which is extremely helpful for PTs, OTs, and SLPs).

Cons

I would have liked documenting on Epic more if we could also use "Smart Phrases" in our daily/SOAP notes because it would make documenting daily therapy notes even faster. I also wish Epic was a little easier to navigate when I was a new user. It took 1-2 months before getting the basics and another few months before I discovered all the features I'd need.

JP

Julie P.

Mental Health Care, 10,001+ employees

EPIC for charting

Pros

I think this is pretty user friendly once you get the hang of it. Offers a lot of different ways to view the patient's medical chart which provides a lot of great information to the provider.

Cons

There are so many tabs and tool bars which makes it difficult to find things at times. Definitely need ongoing training to find everything I need.

SP

Shannon P.

Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees

Harder to learn but full of useful features

Pros

The integration of medical records from outside facilities that use the same software is the best part about epic. Patients many times go to other facilities and typically don’t bring those records with them. Being able to view outside labs, notes, and results at the click of a button is life saving.

Cons

Sometimes there are too many features. If there was a way to “opt out” of certain features it would help to declutter and focus.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 501-1,000 employees

EpicCars EMar Review

Great! Would recommend!

Pros

It is very easy to use! I am able to assess residents and find information efficiently.

Cons

I’m curious if I can search notes by department. I have not tried to figure this out though.

DM

Danielle M.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Great software

Pros

Epic is user friendly and a great tool to coordinate care with other providers

Cons

i can’t really think of any cons with epic

LP

Lynn P.

good value

Pros

It is quick and efficient when working with it.

Cons

can take some time trying to navigate the different areas

The industry leader for reliable Electronic Medical Record

Electronic Medical Record is the core of a health care system. Epic is the cream of the crop. It is *not* just another application. It can displace/replace many of your other applications, so we saw dozens of IT people move away from applications and systems that were replaced and into Epic roles. If your organization devotes the time and resources to it, you are nearly guaranteed success. At a price $$$, of course. From an end-user perspective, it takes a while for clinicians to get used to it. For example, in Epic there may be many more steps for a given procedure as compared to another EMR, but those steps are there to make sure that the application is bullet-proof, and users get used to it and appreciate it after a short time.

Pros

Epic, the company, makes sure that your implementation succeeds, stays stable and reliable, and performs fast. They (Epic) constantly monitor performance, DR/BC availability, and uptime and tell you *exactly* how you should configure your environment. Your are absolutely not on your own with Epic.

Cons

The flip side to the Epic company being so involved in your setup and operation is that it takes a lot of internal employees to make it happen Epic's prescribed way, and there is a lot of internal employee involvement in setup, testing, and ongoing maintenance. In other words, Epic requires a lot of TLC, but it is extremely stable and reliable.

Nick S.

The BEST EMR out there

Having used another EMR (in addition to paper charting), this is by far the best product out there. Navigating different clinical unit censuses and consult lists is simple (and you can customize what information is listed within these lists). Within the medical record, tabs make it easy to navigate between lab results, demographic information, and chart notes. It is quick and easy to do a chart review...

Pros

Best layout, easy to navigate, quick documentation

Cons

Epic is consistently working on new functionalities and layouts, and sometimes the implementation of new things with the EMR becomes laborious to relearn when there is little added benefit.

JC

Joshua C.

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

The best around, but that isn't saying much

Pros

Epic is by far the best EMR out there, but really that is not saying much. It does have some great functionality, and is user friendly after awhile. Clean design and great shortcut utilities

Cons

EMR's in general are not designed by physicians, but for physicians, EPIC is no different. It seems clean, organized and user friendly at face, however, the excessive clicks needed to navigate, the constant updates that change layout and function, and lack of certain functions that you would think should be an integral part make EPIC frustrating. That being said this is not exclusive to EPIC and i would still recommend this program over any other.

The Gold Standard of EMR

It makes clinical care and documentation so much easier, the billers/coders love it, and I can access outside patient records from other institutions that use Epic, so I know I'm not missing anything. Every hospital in the country needs to implement Epic.

Pros

The ease of use is perhaps number one for Epic. Having used some of the older EMRs, I am well aware of how an EMR can make or break your day. Epic is the best EMR I have used, and perhaps the best one out there. Its ease of use is second to none, and it's extremely intuitive (so even without a training course, which you're likely get anyway, you can pick up how to use this EMR in perhaps a few hours)....

Cons

Compared to other EMRS, I can't think of anything negative to say.

MV

MJ V.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Complete Medical Medical Overview of the Patient

I like using this software as the roadmap for the entire healthcare institution. This section is not large enough to write about the expansive overview of the healthcare web capability that EpicCare EMR provides for our institution. It is a great evolving product that evolves as healthcare styles evolves.

Pros

It is easy to use, once you get the appropriate training and practice. I like that is a great investigative tool to search for timelines in the past. It is the one stop shop for all patient complete history, and it is interchangeable with other institutions with the same software. Tip top secure capability and traceable history of patient profile access. Patient linked via MyChart gets a sense of autonomy to manage appointments, communicate with healthcare team and review medical notes.

Cons

It is very busy due to all tiers embedded in the software based on access levels, however, you can get to pic what you choose to see based on your personal workload, or access needed. Ample training is needed and repetitive practice for the non-tech savvy.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

Epic review

Overall- I think it helps me deliver safe care to my patients. This platform allows me to accurately chart and organize my day to best serve the population in my hospital.

Pros

It allows for safe medication administration- links the drug info. right there with the medication and allows for user friendly charting. Plenty of flowsheets to chose from. Information that isn't helpful can be completed or hidden. Integrates with our devices to pull in vital signs and information about the patient. Also allows for communication between the interdisciplinary team connecting each other through messaging and allowing for contact information. There are a few ways to get to the same spot and I find the navigators are helpful.

Cons

Some charting/flowsheets are a bit redundant. Also, sometimes when flowsheets or sections of charting are hidden- it can be hard to find specifically where to reactivate it. I think it takes a while to get the right custom EPIC for your institution in place so there are tons of upgrades and learning curves with new versions.

SM

Stephanie M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 10,001+ employees

Pros

I've been using Epic Care EMR for 8 years at my place of employment. We were given serious notice in advance when we were transferring from paper charts to electronic charts. Growing up in the technology age, transferring to electronic charts was not a huge change for me. I was able to chart what I needed for my patients very easily. I was able to teach others how to do so as well. I moved to a doctor's office 4 months ago who had just started using this system in their office so I was well aware of the software so I didn't need ask any questions. I had just kept moving forward with working with the system.

Cons

Downtime to updating the software was always on the night shift and I felt bad for nurses because if the downtime was for 4 hours, it would be difficult for the nurses to chart after the downtime was done before passing medications for the morning. It was always a inconvenient time but I think that was the IT department's choice, not the actual software's choice; for this review anyways.

BS

Barry S.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

Comprehensive but complicated

Overall, it was an excellent communication tool with other parts And providers and customer service representatives of the huge system within which I worked

Pros

There is a tremendous amount of functionality and ability to check various parts of the medical record. It can be set up with drop-down menus that provide frequently used choices in the record. There is the ability to create personalized phrases one can push into a clinical note.

Cons

I do not know if it was a bottleneck with our a team that was to fine-tune the epic product, or whether it was the epic troubleshooting team, but it took a very long time to correct glitches or to add features when there was an update of the program. This may be nitpicking, but for me, it would’ve been helpful to be able to run several different windows side-by-side within a particular medical record, in order to quickly go back and forth either to cut and paste items or two I’ll check on various values or previous interventions in the record over time

Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees

All patient info in one place!

Epic has been a lovely product to use and makes my day-to-day job much easier than if I had to go through paper records. It is an efficient product and helps me get the patient info I need quickly and securely.

Pros

Epic is a secure way to access information from a patient's chart, whether that patient is currently admitted at the hospital or has previously been treated at your facility. The search within a specific patient's chart is robust and smart, populating results that may be related to the keyword you searched. Epic also allows you to access documents related to a patient from an outside hospital/institution. Epic's security features protect patient privacy from all ends.

Cons

Running Epic requires some setup, namely downloading a receiver to access the application. This additional step is not particularly difficult but does slow down the process of getting to Epic. I wish there was a desktop option for easy access to Epic.

WL

Wayne L.

10,001+ employees

A robust, non-intuitive system that requires a big learning curve

It would be nice if EPIC had more simplified workflows and cleaned up the appearance of the screens. It would also be nice if EPIC could allow the user to customize the screen appearanc (currently, there is a feature that allows only very limited customization of the screen layout.

Pros

Depending on the features that are activated, it can be a robust EHR system. It can handle workflows of many types, including outpatient visits, procedures, and hospital workflows.

Cons

It can be difficult to use, even with many years of experience using it. The screen is way too busy with buttons, tabs, active links and data all over the place. There are too many hidden features to remember, and the workflow is often very clunky, requiring multiple mouse clicks and jumps to multiple screens (with delays between loaded screens). The screen includes a multitude of features and buttons/tabs that I never use (are to be used by other disciplines such as discharge planners), making it seem like a one-size-fits-all screen.

NH

Naja H.

EPIC EMR User friend medical records system

In general epicure EMR patient health information medical record system is a great tool to integrate into large hospital systems. Especially for streamlined and easy to use integration of an medical record system. In addition because it has been used broadly by many large healthcare systems many people are trained on how to use epic and in addition they are able to translate their knowledge of other electronic medical record systems to the use of EpicCare system

Pros

In general some of the pros about the software is that it is very easy to use and it is very accessible from anywhere as long as you have an account. In addition allows you to access your patients medical records from a secure browser and system from remote locations. In addition it’s very easy to explore specific patient information as needed for data purposes.

Cons

The things that I like least about the software are that you do have to go through extensive training to be permitted to utilize the system. Although I do understand from the perspective of integration of patient health information it’s very important that users are knowledgeable on how to properly use the system.

Henry P.

EpicCare EMR helps us better care our patients

With EpicCare, clinics can streamline their workflows using personalized screens, dashboards and specialty applications. The application's finance module allows clinics to track payments, bills and invoices. EpicCare is a mobile-ready solution, allowing both doctors and patients to access information on their Apple devices.

Pros

I love patient portal and e-prescribing features which helps us meet the Meaningful Use Stage 2 requirements. The tool also supports telemedicine options that allow our doctors to communicate with patients via a video platform and offers mobile and tablet functionality. EpicCare MyChart allows patients to view medical information, message doctors, schedule appointments and manage medical history via a personalized portal.

Cons

The health maintenance options could be better, and easier to see and mark as complete. Also out would be easier if when you marked something got a preference it wouldn't add a copy to the main menu. Upgrade to EPIC 2017 is a fight.

cg

chrys g.

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001-5,000 employees

EpicCare EMR- easy patient care management

EpicCare EMR has definitely been an upgrade from our previously used EMR. I love the ease of use, the clean and modern design, the ability to customize to my needs

Pros

I love that EpicCare EMR is easily searchable, it provides lots of options for customization, both in terms of utility and view. It also has a sort of memory of your more recently entered orders, which makes it easy to reorder

Cons

Even though EpicCare EMR is searchable, sometimes it is hard to find what you need

MO

Megan O.

Medical Practice, 10,001+ employees

once you learn all the shortcuts, life couldn't be easier

a much more advanced EMR than many of the others out there and has so much potential to make the day to day easier.

Pros

EPIC is a complex EMR with lots of functionality and as annoying as that can be sometimes, it also makes it very helpful. I love the aesthetics of the program becasue that adds to the ease of use, I love the ability to personalize and filter to make aspects of what is impotant to you more easily accessible, and I love that it tends to translate better between hospital systems than other EMRs I've worked with.

Cons

there's a lot to this program so it takes a while to parse through and figure out what's important and what's superfluous. there's also no easy handbook for all the shortcuts and tips and tricks so a lot of what makes this program easy comes from word of mouth or programming settings that others figured out and have been passed down.

Medical Practice, 1,001-5,000 employees

EpicCare EMR

I have had an overall good experience with this software. I am looking forward to how it evolves with AI built into the EMR.

Pros

I have been using this software for about 3 years. The software is very intuitive to use most of the time. The menus are clean and fairly easy to navigate. The ability to have the whole patient history right in front of your fingertips is a big plus in 2021. The software is one of best on the market for EMR in 2021.There are no major glitches or bugs that I have encountered using this product over the past three years.

Cons

I feel the help menu does need some improving at this time. When the software updates things are changed and moved around alot on the menus. I feel there room for improvement on the help menus.I wish there was a live chat feature embedded in the software with customer support.