Kareo Clinical Reviews

3.9

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.89/10

Reviews by rating

The overall experience has been wonderful and I am grateful we made the switch. Wish we would have done it sooner.
Like I said prior, the program is easy to navigate, input, and search for information. Overall, this is a great program to use I would recommend this program to another facility.
Very easy and intuitive, nice flow. You don't need your own server, as you use the internet for connectivity, and I find the speed to be quite good.
You are putting your business at severe risk of bankruptcy. Absolutely do not let KAREO do your credentialing.
I usually am not that pained by a Software enough to go and write reviews but I would definitely Suggest everybody keep away from this product. Their service is the worst ever.
Templates are difficult to create and difficult to edit. Customer support is terrible.

Laurie R.

Owner

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Not the Best for a Small Clinic

Transcript

Laurie R.: Hi, I'm Laurie, a nurse practitioner. I would like to give Kareo a rating of four. If you'd...

Cynthia M.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

#1 User-Friendly EHR Ever Used!

In my experience of over twenty years using various EHR software platforms, I and can honestly attest that Kareo is by far the most user friendly and comprehensive EHR I have encountered in my professional career. I plan to be a loyal customer for life, thank you, Kareo!

Pros

Kareo is; user-friendly for people with little software experience, ready to go with little training, excellent implementation support, good customer service, amazing templates, forms and SALT Feature that cuts time & makes documentation a snap. The formatting/presentation of EHR notes is organized & professional. I love how I can select what information to share and can easily do so through the...

Cons

I would like to be able to attach documents to the internal email system when communicating with patients.

SS

SLOAN S.

Kareo Clinical

Overall, our practice has had a pleasant experience. Other than some minor things that could use improvements we are satisfied. We can see that Kareo is working on improvements as they update us monthly.

Pros

The software is user friendly. It has been easy for new hires to pick up and all staff in our facility including providers feel it is easy to use. They have made many daily features easily accessible such as ordering labs, sending referrals, sending msgs to patients, and scheduling. They give you updates on any new features added including links to videos on how to use new features. Issues have been minimal but when I do have issues customer support is always more than helpful, and the wait time to talk to a human on the phone is never that long. Overall best software I have had the opportunity to use in my career.

Cons

The referral loop system could use some upgrading in my opinion. Erx requests section has become a chore. For example, one patient will have 6 medications, and I have to click on each one and deny/approve each one individually, I would like to have the option to select multiple medications for one patient and select the response and submit. Especially when denying the medications, if I am denying one...

GV

Gabriel V.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Don't buy Kareo. The only thing guaranteed is that you will lose money and customers.

Totally a disaster. I can not say anything but a complete failure. Patients cannot access the portal. 8 out of 10 patients cannot access the portal. The system constantly says that the DOB is not correct. Kareo intends that for each patient who cannot access the portal, the clinic performs a test. The system does not communicate in any email other than Gmail. Forget about being able to send intake forms or anything to patients who have Yahoo, and Hotmail, among others. For each claim, Kareo intends to do a test. If you decide to use Kareo, you better hire staff in your clinic just to make claims and do tests with Kareo every day. You cannot itemize invoices. The system is not easy to use. It cannot be customized. I can't recommend it. I guarantee you will lose money and customers.

Pros

Cons

I can't say anything positive. The experience has been so frustrating that I can't think of anything positive. All I can think about is how embarrassed I'll be with my next patient who can't access the portal.

DM

Debbie M.

Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

Kareo Review

The support team is usually very helpful. We appreciate the ease of use of the clinical and billing (besides the issues with the medication portal). The only issue we have now Kareo and our other EMR system was having issues working together and getting a issue we were having resolved (its been 2 months). I had to get involved and now it seems as though both parties are working together to resolve our issue we is much appreciated.

Pros

Scheduling, Billing and ease of use with the EMR system (except for one issue).

Cons

Med Portal. Kareo uses a 3rd party at that controls how providers are allowed to send medications. We are a Pain Management Practice and at times need to be able to send pain medications outside the parameters that the Kareo 3rd party sets (1 pain med per 24 hours) this caused us set backs during clinic and we had to change to a different EMR system. We did not want to change but were forced to due to the parameters set by this 3rd party controlling the Medication Portal.

JM

Julie M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Great for 1st time EMR users

Overall it has worked well for our smaller company. We are still finding beneficial shortcuts in the system making our workload easier.

Pros

Kareo makes it easy to navigate through the system from start to finish

Cons

Sending medical records out, I wish there was an option to insert a date range.

RP

Robert P.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Expensive Glorified Text Editor

I used the EHR and billing for a little over 2 years until Kareo decided to start charging an outrageous fee for the EHR part, and then made it nearly impossible for me to get my patient charts out of the software and provided ZERO support for this, and then ultimately deleted several years worth of patient records.

Pros

This EHR is essentially a glorified text editor with billing functions. This gave it the ability to adapt through templates and macros to a wide variety of documentation scenarios, not pidgeon-holed into a specific speciality.

Cons

Billing was not fully integrated into the EHR, meaning that the billing needed to be entered separately from the charting in a separate program that didn't carry over more than demographic information from the charting portion.

CL

Cheryl L.

Kareo EMR Software for Mental Health Outpatient Practice

Very dissatisfied with customer service. Moderately dissatisfied with the clinical aspects.

Pros

Clinical notes access and availability is average. Scheduling of patients is fairly streamlined.

Cons

Customer service is non-existent; they take multiple days to answer or return phone calls. The representatives are not adequately trained for mental health practice requirements and extended time periods are required to answer questions. The software is non-functional too often making patient appointments impossible without access to the software. Their integration with EPCS / Dr First is poor; there are frequent occurrences of inability to electronically prescribe controlled substances. The customer service representatives blame other departments instead of providing assistance. Forced to enter into a one year contract when told when started the service that we would never be required to enter into contracts.

CI

Charles I.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees

Buggy with no solutions

Pros

Inexpensive and easy to use. We had a staff person who used for a solo practice and was familiar.

Cons

Features are buggy. Patient messages and communication is hard to use and does not attach to the patient chart, schedule is unwieldy and buggy. You can’t see blocked time in day view. There is also no audit trail for changed appointments. Lastly they fired the sales rep and did not honor his pricing and tried to lock us into a long term contract.

AM

Armen M.

Management Consulting, 1-10 employees

Better than most

Customer service patient dashboard and simple interface.

Pros

Modern platform, ease of use and on-boarding options.

Cons

It's not for large organizations, that said it will fit most practices.

JC

Jessica C.

Medical Practice, self-employed

Kareo use as a single provider/physical therapist

Pros

This is an affordable option for someone just starting out and not making a ton of extra money for fancy software. Most of the documentation is straight forward. SALT notes and SALT superbills are great for me.

Cons

The calendar feature doesn't allow you to schedule anything other than a client, therefore it is not a calendar I can use exclusively for work since it is so limited. The billing and documentation portions are clunky on a Mac. I'm not sure why this isn't better integrated.

PL

Patrick L.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Could be great, but isn't yet

...I'm using this space to continue describing my cons, because I ran out of characters above. On the prescribing side of things, the med interaction warnings are of no practical utility, unless you like warnings without any explanation. I'm glad that when i was new to my role, we used an EHR that would generate warnings with descriptions of the interaction and reason for the warning. For any controlled...

Pros

Relatively simple user interface, ease of navigation, ability to send lab orders electronically, responsive customer support, engaged customer support specialist during on-boarding, the note structure is great because you can see all the note sections all the time, which makes concurrent charting a breeze. Apparently the billing side of things is nice to work with (I don't work with that side of the...

Cons

A little context: My work computer is a MacBook Air (M1, 2020) that is running up-to-date Monterey OS. I have used both Chrome and Firefox, both up to date (the recommended browsers) to work in Kareo and both have problems. My computer is also about 3 feet away from a high speed, very reliable wifi router. Issues: Until very recently, there was no auto-save feature for notes, and if something happened...

MW

Melvin W.

Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees

Things I would like to see

Overall I think this is a very good platform and very easy to understand.

Pros

Karen is a very easy platform to maneuver. I like how you can find you client data with one or two clicks.

Cons

I would like to see patients that are made inactive be placed in an archive. By looking at names that are no longer a client make it takes longer for me to maneuver through the platform. Also the charge for telemedicine sessions is ridiculous. I have to pay $7.00 per session. Telemedicine is about 80% of my business so I never can budget for Karen it is always a surprise at the end of the month....

LS

Leann S.

Disappointed

I wish I could say something that is being solved with Kareo, but at best it's a functional bare bones EMR, where you can document notes and bill. If you need much more than that, chose another EMR.

Pros

Documenting the H&P and progress note is pretty straightforward and easy. The superbill completion is also easy and seems to function well.

Cons

Where to start... first, it seems that Kareo expects that you and your practice should conform to their clunky set up. after the initial sales call (their sales guy is great), you're expected to schedule weekly phone visits with Kareo's on boarding coordinator. She made a point to say how busy she is and need to schedule far in advance so that she can fit you into her schedule. Really? The coordinator...

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that you feel Kareo has not met your expectations. Success Coaches serve as your main point of contact upon sign up during your implementation, their role is to guide assistance through milestones and facilitate processes between different departments (enrollments, training, support, etc). Although training may be intensive, it is very important that it be...

LP

Lee Peter B.

Medical Practice,

Ease of use, full features

Pros

Having working with various paid and free electronic health record services at various institutions, I came across Kareo while researching for my presentation on mobile technology, cloud computing, and medicine at a national medical conference. The features, intuitive interface, ease of use, and HTML5 programming, which allows cross-platform interface and real-time update speed was remarkable. I've...

Cons

It needs a patient health record/portal and automatic appointment reminders to patients via text to mobile phones, e-mails, and letters.

HG

Harish G.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Absolutely unacceptable customer service, crappy E prescribing integration

leaves a lot to be desired.

Pros

pretty similar to other EMR's available out there, nothing great.

Cons

Forget about getting anyone in customer service to answer the phone call, long wait times. There is an option to create a case inquiry on their website, Noone looks at that carefully, no proper follow up except an email after few days stating that case will be closed if I do not respond to it. Unbeleivable. Esprescribing integration is poor, cant prescribe 2 controlled medication at the same visit, system rejects the 2nd medication, have to log out of the system, log back in, go into the chart again and prescribe it agin. Scared to call customer service as they dont have time for these issues.

Hi Dr. Goyal, Thank you very much for your detailed comments about your experience with Kareo. We certainly appreciate your loyalty and are committed to addressing your concerns about prescribing multiple medications in the same chart on our platform. Your question has been brought to our technical team and one of our escalation specialists will be communicating with you again with the next steps. Thank you, Sherwin

MN

Mary N.

KAREO IS A LIFESAVER

My husband's words will be all I need to express: " OMG! I got my wife back!" Is that enough?

Pros

As a billing company, woman and entrepreneur, I found myself fumbling with other software and working myself to death. Ask me about a software and I will tell you about it. With Kareo, I was able to drop all of my clients into one system at once. Set up was easy and painless and I was able to keep my promise that billing never stops and that made my clients happy. With Kareo EMR and PM accessibility, my billing company soon found itself able to add not only consulting, training and virtual front desk/scheduling capabilities, but we are now unveiling our Virtual IT Director department so that we are able to continue growing. All this could never have happened if Kareo was not introduced into my life.

Cons

Listen. There is always something you don't like about a software. There have been some, but they are so insignificant, that I am unable to recall any that have not been enhanced with a request. In fact, if there is a request that will work for the entire Kareo community, you are encouraged to provide that so that they can put it into the software. That is how versatile this company is. For a billing company, they are there to hear you and encourage you and help you grow. You cannot say that from any one else. You really cant. So, yeah, things I don't like, I voice and they fix.

BK

Bailey K.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

User friendly

Pros

Very easy transition to this software. User friendly.

Cons

Would like to customize super bill more Need capability to have multiple participants in telemed visits And to resend link as needed.

LB

Luanna B.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Easy to navigate, one flaw

Unfortunately benefits don't always outweigh risks. Working with another small practice and when asked if I would recommend Kareo I had to say no in its current state. I hope the bugs are fixed soon, so that can be a yes.

Pros

Easy to navigate, easy to teach when onboarding new associates to our practice

Cons

The site locks up, crashes or simply won't open multiple times a week which puts our productivity behind. Costing overtime hours

Thank you very much for your feedback Luanna, as it helps us improve. We understand that the experience this past month has not been optimal and our goal is to help your productivity, not to impact it negatively. We have certainly put matters in to play to prioritize our customer experience and continue to invest in overall performance stability. We hope to turn that sentiment back to a "yes!" as soon as possible. Thank you again for your comments and we appreciate you for continuing to bestowal your trust in us. Best, Kareo

JV

Jeremy V.

Kareo EMR

Overall experience is remarkable. I would not go back to others.

Pros

Extremely user friendly, customizable, form and function agreeable and relevant to low-mid-or high volume settings. I have used many EMR products and Kareo by far out performs competition.

Cons

Occasionally has slow periods of operation but rare. Not really a big deal.

SB

Stephanie B.

Used other for less than 6 months

Listen carefully!

Didn't get a chance to use Kareo because of the misrepresentation of information upon signing with the company. We thought we got a trial period in the first two months but later found out we got two months free contingent upon a one year contract. We never transferred data because we found out in the first month that to transfer our data would cost us $1200 or we could manually do it ourselves and...

Pros

Interface is amazing! They also had video tutorials to help you learn about the system. You also would be assigned a success coach to assist during this time as well.

Cons

The fees to transfer data was too much. They expected us to pay at least $1200 to transfer the demographics.

IM

Isaac M.

Easy to use EHR Ever Used

Pros

Kareo is; easy to use for individuals with little programming experience, all set with little preparation, great execution support, great client care, astounding layouts, structures and SALT Feature that cuts time and makes documentation a snap. The designing/show of EHR notes is coordinated and proficient. I love the amazing way I can choose what data to share and can undoubtedly do as such through...

Cons

I might want to have the option to connect records to the inward email framework while speaking with patients

MT

Mark T.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

Loving the new Telehealth

Pros

I love the simplicity and layout of Kareo, making my day to day tasks much easier and less time consuming. I’m also loving the new integrated telehealth interface. It’s simple and direct and that’s always a plus in healthcare.

Cons

Kareo can sometime run slow or lag, I’m sure this is due to being inundated with updates and users but it does disrupt flow when Kareo does not work properly.

SJ

Sarah J.

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

This is what keeps our practice running

We had some issues in the past but I do like their customer support. I don’t think I’ve had an issue in close to a year

Pros

Super easy integration. Super simple UI for our staff who are tech challenged. It’s cloud based and there’s tons of custom reports I can create.

Cons

I do wish we could turn on 2nd factor authentication using Google authenticator or by text message.

LH

Lisa H.

Kareo EHR

Support has been outstanding. They can be reached within moments. There have not been any systems issues so Support has been used to determine how something functions. Our coach has taught us a lot and continues to reach out to see if we need anything.

Pros

The office is using Kareo EHR. The platform is modern and fast. It is available on PC, iPad, and iPhone which allows easy use in and out of the office. Patients like electronic reminders. Since the EMR is working well, my biller will being using Kareo PM shortly.

Cons

The platform doesn’t have a way to order requests that are not labs or imaging studies but we have used a round about to address this. Kareo upgrades system monthly so this may be addressed in the future.

TG

Thelma G.

Review of Kareo Clinical EHR

Overall the experience is good and would recommend the product to new and incoming clients.

Pros

I have used Kareo EHR for a little over a year now and have found the software to be easily navigated. I like that it is interfaced with the Practice Management program to do the billing, accounting and reports which make the job more organized. It also allows me to be interfaced with the laboratory that I use to have the lab results within the patients chart. The chart format lets me see what part I would like to review such as history, accounting, demographics, etc. Easy to apply payments. The ERA's are easy to navigate and apply payments.

Cons

The practice software has a few glitches that we have to call for assistance in getting corrected. Getting set up with new insurance takes some time. There is duplicate billing on occasion.