Luminello Reviews

Luminello

Practice management software for mental health providers

Luminello

Review Summary

Bill S.

Customer support is highlight of the company. They are prompt, responsive, and helpful.

Kevin S.

Sarah O.

Sophia K.

Sandra S.

Sophia K.

4.5

Outstanding EHR for Mental Health

I work in two hospital settings and a government setting part-time, and relative to the EHRs used there (Cerner, EPIC), I am blown away by how much better Luminello is. (To be fair, those EHRs cover entire health care systems and they're not terrible). I have also used NewCrop and ClinicTracker in past settings, and both of which are horrendous.

Pros

Chart software is easy to use and intuitive. The templates are exhaustive and easily customizable. The integrated patient portal is a life safer. I am able to operate a mid-size private practice without added staff due to the integrated messaging, calendaring and billing features. The ability to accept and track referrals online is also essential. It allows enough control to tailor the practice to my needs. I also work in two hospital settings and a government setting, and relative to the EHRs used there (Cerner, EPIC), I am blown away by how much better Luminello is. (To be fair, those EHRs cover entire health care systems). I have also used NewCrop and ClinicTracker, both of which are horrendous.

Cons

I am looking forward to the ability to order and review labs directly through Luminello. I know they are working on it, but currently it requires going to an external application. (paper orders can be generated though).

Thank you so much for this great feedback. We take pride in having built our platform from a fresh perspective, compared to other EMR and EHR tools. We strive to provide time-saving features while maintaining intuitive functionality.

Highly recommend to cash pay, or therapists/psych who rely on outside billing company

Originally my plan was all cash practice. This would have been perfect for that. I ended up deciding to take insurance. Luminello serves its function very well if you are a therapist or psych provider who wants to keep things simple on the EHR end. However, its billing capacity is super limited compared to other EHRs (no eligibility checks, no reports, no ERA breakdowns, accounts receivable, analysis...

Pros

- Custom intakes - Custom forms - Very simple interface - Messaging system - Never glitchy - Easy to link from website to request an appointment

Cons

- No phone support - No elabs - No fax - No referral function

Thank you for giving Luminello a try in your practice and sharing your feedback so we can learn and grow. To address a few of your thoughts: First, we have implemented live chat and online booking of screenshares. Webinars and phone support are also in our plans. Our teams are also working towards improving Luminello's billing platform, with major updates coming in the next few weeks. Other improvements,...

Private Practice Mental Health Counseling

It was an okay system when I was a small, solo private practice. It has not grown with me and that's disappointing. I asked early on if they were considering offering a group format and was told it was something they were looking at doing, but in the last 2 years there have been no moves that direction. There are other issues such as my particular license (LPC) was not an option. I had to have them manually add it on their end to get it to populate on my signature. There are nearly always "workarounds" offered when I contact them about issues, but I don't want workarounds. If you don't mind that, it shouldn't be a problem.

Pros

I like the price of Luminello give the features included such as online scheduling, client portal, appointment reminders, billing and payment tracking.

Cons

1. Only one professional can use the CL's email address: If another professional inside or outside your practice uses Luminello and you "share" a CL (ie referral from a psychiatrist for counseling and that psychiatrist uses Luminello in their practice) you have to ask the CL for a different email address because Luminello will not allow you to use any email already in use. The CL then cannot use...

Thank you so much for that feedback, this is so useful to hear. Regarding working with families, we completely agree with you. Good news is that functionality has been built and is in the final stages of testing. Regarding groups, we hear you! That is actively in development. Regarding some processes being slow - we'd love to hear more specifics on that - we'll reach out to you directly as all of...

Excellent EMR for Solo Psychiatrist

Overall my experience was wonderful, particularly refreshing after switching from another general EMR. I have recommended Luminello to many peers and would continue to use it if I were ever in private practice again in the future.

Pros

There are many aspects of Luminello that were appealing and worked well for my practice. First is the user interface, which was very easy on the eyes. Being designed by and for psychiatrists, it was also very easy to set up in a way that worked for my practice - the progress note/intake templates worked perfectly, the superbills were formatted properly, etc. Customer support was also extremely responsive and helpful. I appreciated customer service by email, as responding to an email is much easier than making a phone call for me.

Cons

The integrations with Luminello were the area that I felt could have used the most improvement, but they did clearly work on them over the time I used the product. Some integrations only worked if you set up the patient portal (like doxy.me) and the e-prescribing was sometimes difficult to set up because of the need to use Luminello customer support as an intermediary. I would have liked integration with google calendars to help coordinate scheduling when I could not access the Luminello calendar (e.g. on my phone). The mobile interface was also sometimes difficult to use.

Thank you so much for your review, Dr. Havel. We're very glad that Luminello was a great fit for your practice. We are always looking for ways to make our integrations seamless and efficient with many updates coming soon, such as integration with Google Calendar. We will let you know once this new feature is available.

Pretty good EMR overall

I've had to google questions about some fairly basic luminello functions more than I would have liked to have to do. For example, I couldn't figure out how to edit a note template instead of just editing a form. I also couldn't figure out how to have a patient put credit card information into the system in the room instead of sending them a bill and having them do it on their account. I like that billing is streamlined into the system. It lets me do my own billing codes and combinations of codes. I wish it had some way to put in general information - current meds, allergies, medical history. I think this might be just because it's made more for therapists than physicians, but I'm not sure. Overall, it's been pretty good.

Pros

Their practice policies paperwork is pretty good and is helpful. It sends messages to people promptly and allows me to interact with patients in an easy way by sending surveys and questionnaires and gives me an option to have things signed electronically, although it took a little bit of time to figure out.

Cons

It has been freezing on me lately when I've tried to edit the intake note templates. It's a little confusing trying to figure out how to build forms on it or edit the forms.

We appreciate your feedback as it's very helpful to us when deciding how to approach future updates, and most of the improvements we make to the site are based on feedback from our members. We are always looking for ways to make the site easier to use. We will work on making the answers easier to find and we will be sure to discuss your ideas internally and think through them. Please feel free to reach out to our support desk at support@luminello.com if you have any questions or need any assistance along the way.

Luminello is just the EHR I have been looking for! It is simple, user-friendly, and easy to use.

Pros

There are so many aspects about Luminello that are amazing! Here are a few: - I really appreciate it that it was built by a psychiatrist for mental health providers -- you can tell that it was made with the user in mind - They have responsive, friendly customer support - It has affordable plans, starting with free! - They have E-prescribing, including controlled substances - They have custom note...

Cons

There are few downsides to Luminello. They are a newer EHR, but have already exceeded some other ones that I have tried that have been around longer. Any time there has been a suggestion for improvement, they have listened and are constantly rolling out new features that make Luminello get better and better! At this point, I feel like they already have every feature I need to have the most efficient practice, but I know there is still more to come and I can't wait to see!

Excellent EHR with amazing support

Love the flexibility of being able to do my notes and billing from any computer.

Pros

Pros: The integration of billing and charting in a single piece of software, the ease with which clients can access the portal and manage their own billing and statements, the secure messaging feature for clients, the flexibility of the note taking system, the fact that it was developed by mental health professionals for mental health professionals, the responsiveness of their support and development teams to suggestions. I also like that it has a free option though I use the full version myself.

Cons

Very few cons. Occasional bugs, though these have typically been addressed quickly. I also wish there were a way to send monthly statements to all my clients by email rather than doing them individually.

Thanks, Dr. Grelling. We definitely pride ourselves on top-notch support, so we are thrilled to hear that's been an important part of using Luminello for you. We always appreciate receiving new ideas and suggestions from our users that we can use to further enhance our EHR. We've noted your suggestion for sending monthly statements in bulk (all at once - with a single click), and that's been on our list as well. We will let you know once that feature is ready for prime time!

I have been using Luminello for about 18 months. It has been a lifesaver!

Pros

The simple, intuitive design and customization to the specific needs of mental health professionals is what attracted me to Luminello. Having ALL the features and services in one place is tremendously helpful. I use the ability to clone notes, use templates, send ratings scales, exchange secure email messages with patients (almost eliminating phone calls), patient self-scheduling of appointments (and...

Cons

They are constantly improving and are adding e-labs as well. I wish they would add e-fax in the future. That is the only feature that I need but Luminello doesn't have yet within the software.

Thanks for the kind review, Dr. Mago! Glad to hear you are having a great experience with Luminello. We also wanted to let you know that an e-fax integration is now past the planning stage and ready for development soon -- we'll let you know once it is ready to go.

Luminello makes billing fun!

I can use the parts of Luminello I need and am ready to use, such as scheduling, e-prescribing, the patient portal and billing, but am not required to use features I do not yet have time to learn (but really want to) such as creating my own template or using a pre-made template for SOAP notes. I don't even have to write my notes in the EMR to bill, use the portal or e-prescribe. When I have a question, the tech team has always responded within 24 business hours, often in the same day. Luminello has also been open to hearing my suggestions for features I'd like to see. Overall, it is an aesthetic, very user friendly software and an accessible and responsive company.

Pros

I most like that I did not need to enter my entire caseload into the system in order to start using it. I also love that it is really quite self explanatory, is specific for psychiatry and is not made clunky with features required by other specialties- everything about Luminello is designed to allow a mental health provider do their job, document their notes and easily bill for their time.

Cons

I wish the Luminello calendar synced with the google calendar.

Almost There

Customer service was prompt, although there is no calling a representative in the event of urgent needs. I would consider Luminello in the future if the advertised features worked for my practice. However at this point I am pursuing alternatives.

Pros

The application has many great features for a small private practice— client portal, scheduling, a screening form for new clients, customizable templates. The pricing is straightforward and fair, with new provider/low-volume pricing. I appreciate not being constantly upsold other products from sales, which I’ve experienced with other platforms.

Cons

Many of the advertised integrations worked poorly compared to competitors. I initially chose Luminello due to its focus on mental health and solution as a one product for my small private practice. However, I ended up using separate vendors for scheduling, billing, prescribing, labs, and Telehealth. That created a disjointed experience for me and my clients. Another feature that I liked was having intake forms filled by the client automatically populate in notes. The functionality of this didn’t work for me, as your intake note would need to match the form exactly.

E-prescribing

Alot of potential, held back due to poor customer service who would rather give 15-40 emails then call you once.

Pros

It is very nice to be able to e-prescribe, saves time and patient's can pick up prescription at pharmacy.

Cons

Customer service-They do not have phone support. If you email after hours forget about it until the next day or if Friday the next Monday. I literally have to threaten to write a bad review to get them to call me (despite being done during business hours). The only way to get them to talk to you on phone is to threaten them. They do not control the electronic prescribing function of software and so...

We apologize that setting up EPCS took so long - our mission is to delight our users with superior customer service and we let you down here. We have taken your thoughts to heart and have begun reviews internally and with our e-prescribe partner to improve the systems for this process. Your feedback has helped us to learn what we need to focus on, but still, we¿re very sorry you had to go through this in the first place. We hope over time to regain your confidence.

Love this EMR. Created by a psychiatrist for psychiatrists. Simple, elegant design.

Pros

Simple design, very user-friendly. Allows you to E-prescribe including controlled substances, bill with credit card, has custom note templates, logical workflow, ability to find any DSM diagnosis and ICD codes from a drop-down menu. Patient portal with secure messaging, documents and payments. Amazingly responsive customer support. Very reasonable prices for such a robust software.

Cons

Page refresh can be slow on occasion Limited integration with outside software, for example calendar does not sink to google-calendar; limited ability to link financial data with accounting programs such as Quickbooks

Thanks you for the kind words, Dr. Gluck! We've taken several steps over the past 6 months to increase page load speed, including moving to a more robust, flexible server and database system. And, a Google calendar integration for Luminello is in active development as I write! We hope to have that ready for you very soon.

1+ yr review

Pros

Notes are easy to do once initial templates are completed and easy to do follow up notes. Integration of scheduling, e-prescribing, and online scheduling is major advantage. Affordable and good value. Everything is online- so forms able to send easily to patients for signatures. Secure portal messaging very easy to use.

Cons

Template set up is a bit clunky and not intuitive at first. Lab feature integration has been slow thus far, and not able to set it up after trying for a while. Having PMP (controlled substance) monitoring website integrate would be big time-saver if able to integrate.

Thank you very much for your kind review! We are happy that our support team has been able to help you in a prompt and effective manner. We are always looking to improve our platform and what it offers to its users, and your feedback helps us accomplish that.

Annual review

The product has gotten better and better over time. Wish you had real time tech support. Regardless, I have grown into loving this product.

Pros

Easy to use, it is intuitive and all of the features, i.e. email, etc.

Cons

Billing has been evolving and at times tricky. I also would like to be able to print on security paper for controlled substances. Need mobile app.

Thank you for your feedback Dr. Liebner, most of the improvements we continue to make at Luminello are from feedback such as yours A mobile app is on our long-term development list, but we have implemented many new features to optimize our billing platform, such as creating invoices and generating superbills for patients. In addition, our e-prescribing partner, DrFirst, allows you to print prescriptions via fax through their mobile app, iPrescribe. This allows you to keep paper copies or have your staff enter the information back into Luminello if required.

Everything you need

I've worked in many fields prior to running a Medical Office (Behavioral Health), and have worked on dozens of platforms. I've found Luminello among the easiest to use and has been essentially bullet-proof. It is hard to see what other, more costly, programs can offer that would be a better value. More importantly, Luminello fills all our needs within the practice. BTW - service is highly responsive and is outstanding.

Pros

Very easy to learn and overall operation is intuitive. Tech support is outstanding, even for the basic questions.

Cons

Accounting section could be improved, but recent upgrade was a huge improvement

We're very happy that Luminello has met your practice's needs and we look forward to continuing to provide you with great support.

Liking Luminello

Pros

Notes structure is what I be using writing my notes before Luminello. Flexibility to also write unstructured notes. Ease of billing. Good support.

Cons

Least like the Dr. First prescription program.

Thank you for your feedback, Dr. Bernstein. Our goal is to provide you with a platform that easily blends in with your workflows - we are happy to have accomplished that for you. Speaking about blending in with your workflows, our Form Builder will help you customize your notes so you can save even more time when in session with a patient!

A good developing EHR for mental health

Pros

ease of use, customer portal, customised forms to be filled by patients, practice revenue management and EOBs, note shortcuts, low price,

Cons

lack of functionality for groups / multiple providers, need a lot of clicks to print patient statements, labs are not integrated and almost always need additional info, no efaxing, no text/phone reminders to patients, page needs a lot of computer hardware resources, dose spot automatic refill request functionality is a hit or miss, lack of phone customer support, inability for a parent to make two accounts with same email for two kids seen by a clinician and parents has to use two different emails, customer invitation link keeps expiring if an account is not made in few hours

Thanks so much for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with it. We understand the frustrations you have with working with families. We are in the final stages of testing this feature and will be releasing it soon! The other features you mention above are on our development list and some of which are being actively worked on. We will be sure to follow up with you as soon as the new features are ready to launch. Additionally, we¿ll contact you directly to discuss all your concerns as we¿d love to hear more about them.

Great, my questions were answered quickly anytime I reached out to the team.

Pros

I currently use the free version of the program to keep my client charts stored electronically in a HIPAA compliant way.

Cons

Cannot use your own template for forms on free version.

Thank you so much for your feedback. If you decide to try out one of our premium plans, you will have access to our form builder, which will allow you to create and customize your notes for your practice.

A super happy customer

Makes documentation easy and allows me to focus more time on helping my patients.

Pros

Luminello is simply easy. I write my progress notes and prescribe my medications electronically with ease.

Cons

I can’t think of anything negative about it

Psych provider

It’s been really easy to get answers and support

Pros

Easy to learn and use the software. The patient portal has been helpful. Also the integration of messages into charts. Electronic prescribing has been a huge asset as well.

Cons

Would like the super bill to be able to include individual provider license info

We appreciate your feedback and are happy that Luminello has blended gracefully into your practice. In regards to superbills, our platform will allow you to customize superbills so that you can include individual provider license info. Our customer service team is always available to guide you through the process!

Frustrating and limited but cheap

The customer help is atrocious. They take several hours during business time to address emails and the first 5-7 emails are generic and rarely answer the question I ask. They would rather send 15 emails then have one call and I have to threaten them to get questions answered. I am actively looking to change EMRs or go back to the free version of luminello for notes and iPrescribe for prescriptions bc Luminello isn't making life easier for the cost. The interface is simple but functionality is very limited and customer support is abysmal

Pros

It's competitively priced with other EMRs like practice fusion though practice fusion has e-labs which luminello does not. It's fairly intuitive to use

Cons

Labs cannot be sent electronically. You are able to print out a generic lab slip that the patients can take to their lab. However, you can only choose from a VERY limited list of labs and anything not on that list you cannot use their slip because there is no "other" section for free text. When I asked about this, I was told that I could write it in the comment section but when I did this the lab just ignored it.

Thank you for your feedback Dr. Kogan, your experience is important to us. Most of the improvements we continue to make at Luminello are from feedback such as yours. In the last few months, we have been tirelessly working to improve our customer service system, and we have introduced live chat and screen-share support to enhance the customer service experience. Additionally, we have launched e-labs, which is integrated into our platform. Our users can now submit e-labs orders electronically. Thank you again for your valuable insight.