Luminello Logo

Practice management software for mental health providers

Luminello Reviews

Suggested alternatives

therapynotes-com
simplepractice
valant-behavioral-health

Luminello is an amazing tool for my practice. It is beautiful and functional for all my private practice needs and I highly recommend it to everyone.
Too many pop-ups for writing prescriptions. Sometimes hard to scroll on smaller desktops.

Daniel M.

Mental Health Care, 51-200 employees

Excellent Transition

Luminello is a unique solution for psychiatric providers who always considered joining the private practice but were hesitant to work solo and spend too much non-billable time.

Pros

When I transitioned from academic-based hospital practice to private practice, one of the most important aspects for me was finding an EHR system that could integrate the functionalities of intake, scheduling, and billing. Luminello appeared as the ultimate solution at a very competitive price. The system is simple and intuitive. Their technical support was impressive. We exchanged several e-mails during this process, and I was amazed by their near-immediate response. The onboarding session was extremely valuable.

Cons

Because it is a 100% cloud-based system, I may have noticed occasionally slowed functions during busy times.

Hi Daniel. Thanks for your feedback. We love to hear our team is providing you excellent service and that you've felt taken care of during this process. We will be happy to hear anything we can do in the future.

DS

Dreama S.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Too good to pass up

Luminello is everything I need all in one. The customer service is great. The software is great and works smoothly. I know going forward that it will definitely be a game changer for my practice. I like it so much that I already started to refer Luminello to my colleagues.

Pros

I like that it has so many features and that it is tailored made for mental health providers. I like that the customer service is awesome. Everyone that I have emailed, chatted, or spoke to was very knowledgeable and answered, if not all, most of my questions. If they didn't have the answer right away, they got back to me quickly. I also like that it has videos, how-to, and onboarding to help you navigate while learning their system. The getting started checklist, I definitely love that because it makes me realize that its more to use and learn. I like it so much that I am writing a review. I either write reviews when things are really bad or really good. In their case, Luminello is great.

Cons

I haven't used it too long, so I haven't yet realized anything bad. However, I feel that if I find something wrong, they will be right on it to fix it. I had little small issues like something didn't show or submit, but that was because of what I was doing. Once I realized it, it worked with no problem. Again they have a lot of videos and guides to show you what to do, so I feel like you can't go wrong.

Dear Dreama, Thank you immensely for your glowing review! We're thrilled to hear that Luminello aligns perfectly with your needs and that you've found our customer service exceptional. Your endorsement and referrals are a testament to the quality and effectiveness of our platform. We're excited to be part of your practice's success and look forward to serving you and your colleagues with excellence.

ST

Stephanie T.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Practice Management software that can be useful

Luminello was a decent EMR that was helpful with low expenses, but needed to be more simple.

Pros

They had a free trial and free for low amount of clients. Customer service was very responsive. Calendar and scheduling was easy to use.

Cons

Free option did not have enough options. Charting was too convoluting, and had wat to many options, as did the templates.

SR

Sarah R.

Clinical Provider Review

Overall, I've had a positive experience with Luminello due to consistent customer service and troubleshooting within a reasonable timeframe. When I began using the software, I would reach out to customer support multiple times per week and their responses were invaluable in the beginning stages of opening my clinic. I've used other software for clinical documentation and realized through using Luminello the importance of a user-friendly patient portal, online booking, document signing, and direct communication between clinics and the insurance clearing house - Apex EDI.

Pros

Patients and practitioners have easy access to documentation, financial details, document signing, and messaging.

Cons

Features that are missing include template for treatment plans which allow patient signature. Uploading photos of insurance cards and photo ID - required for telehealth - is not user friendly. It would be helpful if patients could upload their own photos of their insurance cards and ID to reduce steps and increase ease of use.

Thank you for your review! We're glad to hear our customer service team has been there for you. We'll add +1s for your feature requests. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us whenever you need help or have a suggestion.

EC

Elizabeth C.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

Perfect solution for my needs

See above

Pros

I am a solo practice provider and unlike the other EMRs which I have tried, all of which claimed to be specific to psychiatry, this product actually is. It is not cluttered with functions I do not need and allows a surprising degree of customization within some constraints. I can easily manage scheduling, notes (fully customizeable), integration with prescribing and labs, and the billing is a breeze...

Cons

There are some things about the user interface that could be better from a design perspective, and there are certain functions that I think they are working on upgrading--they seem to be in development still and to be improving their software over time. For instance, the software to build your own forms and notes doesn't work that well on my computer--it is time consuming and doesn't always save which...

SA

Salvatore A.

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

Outstanding EHR for Mental Health

I work in two hospital settings and a government setting part-time, and relative to the EHRs used there (Cerner, EPIC), I am blown away by how much better Luminello is. (To be fair, those EHRs cover entire health care systems and they're not terrible). I have also used NewCrop and ClinicTracker in past settings, and both of which are horrendous.

Pros

Chart software is easy to use and intuitive. The templates are exhaustive and easily customizable. The integrated patient portal is a life safer. I am able to operate a mid-size private practice without added staff due to the integrated messaging, calendaring and billing features. The ability to accept and track referrals online is also essential. It allows enough control to tailor the practice to my needs. I also work in two hospital settings and a government setting, and relative to the EHRs used there (Cerner, EPIC), I am blown away by how much better Luminello is. (To be fair, those EHRs cover entire health care systems). I have also used NewCrop and ClinicTracker, both of which are horrendous.

Cons

I am looking forward to the ability to order and review labs directly through Luminello. I know they are working on it, but currently it requires going to an external application. (paper orders can be generated though).

Thank you so much for this great feedback. We take pride in having built our platform from a fresh perspective, compared to other EMR and EHR tools. We strive to provide time-saving features while maintaining intuitive functionality.

AB

Ashlee B.

Luminello review

The Luminello customer support is great.

Pros

The price point is great for all of the features. The ERx is reliable and fairly easy to use.

Cons

The ERx does have a lot of reminders when prescribing. (Takes 3-4 clicks just to get to the point you can enter your password to prescribe. The scheduler would be great if the feature of no show protection was there. Otherwise it isn’t super useable for clients to self schedule for my type of practice.

Thank you for taking the time to share this review. We will let DrFirst know to add you to the Feature Request list to reduce warning messages. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can do.

BB

Brianna B.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Refreshing Switch

Support staff has been very responsive and helpful. I have no complaints whatsoever.

Pros

I found this program to include everything I needed for a reasonable price. If they didn’t have the feature, they had great partners to work with instead.

Cons

$700 setup fee for PDMP. Outside of that, I can’t say anything negative.

Hi Brianna. Thank you so much for your great review. We're pleased to know you've had a good transition and that you enjoy our overall services. We will be happy to pass on the feedback to drfirst regarding the pricing.

Luminello for a 20 hour per week private practice

I’m very happy with this software. This EMR has a portal, templates, questionnaires, scales, and integration with scheduling and billing, which together makes documentation more efficient, secure, HIPAA compliant and up to date with current regulations like the no surprises act. Keeping up with ongoing regulatory changes was challenging to do in a part-time practice and this was a major driver of my decision to use Luminello.

Pros

The feature I like most about this software is the ease with which I can post questionnaires for patients and then directly transfer that information into a note. Customizing a Luminello template or creating my own is straightforward, if a little time consuming, but these templates allow for an amazing degree of automation without the need for programming. They make documentation quick, painless and useful.

Cons

I appreciate that there are many paths to the same functions but they could be a little more intuitive.

We're so glad to hear that! We are working hard to improve. Thank you so much for your feedback.

Kent G.

Excellent EHR with amazing support

Love the flexibility of being able to do my notes and billing from any computer.

Pros

Pros: The integration of billing and charting in a single piece of software, the ease with which clients can access the portal and manage their own billing and statements, the secure messaging feature for clients, the flexibility of the note taking system, the fact that it was developed by mental health professionals for mental health professionals, the responsiveness of their support and development teams to suggestions. I also like that it has a free option though I use the full version myself.

Cons

Very few cons. Occasional bugs, though these have typically been addressed quickly. I also wish there were a way to send monthly statements to all my clients by email rather than doing them individually.

Thanks, Dr. Grelling. We definitely pride ourselves on top-notch support, so we are thrilled to hear that's been an important part of using Luminello for you. We always appreciate receiving new ideas and suggestions from our users that we can use to further enhance our EHR. We've noted your suggestion for sending monthly statements in bulk (all at once - with a single click), and that's been on our list as well. We will let you know once that feature is ready for prime time!

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

A cluster from start to finish

Originally as a sole provider- it was OK, that was before it got sold. Now it is a different company and it is HORRIBLE. They don't know what they are doing and they don't even know the basics of billing. It is a total mess- and it is a fraud for them to be saying they can do the billing with this software, because they clearly cannot.

Pros

For solo providers, maybe passable. Horrible for groups

Cons

The billing is a total cluster and now so is customer service, outsourced to the DR. Your bills go through APEX EDI clearinghouse BUT the ERAS supposedly come back through Change Healthcare- two different clearinghouses- special fees with that, of course. Our company was never set up properly nor advised of this and have had no ERAs for more than 10 weeks now. ALSO they incorrectly set up the billing and mislabeled NPI2 so that we were getting denied for about 1/3 of our claims. And when we discovered this, they told us it was our problem- even though THEY set up the billing and we gave the correct information.

Dear user, Your detailed feedback is invaluable. We apologize for the billing and service issues you've faced. We're actively improving our billing system and customer support to ensure a smoother experience, especially for group practices. Your insights drive our commitment to refine our services and address errors promptly. We deeply value your patience and willingness to highlight these issues. We're currently discussing the points raised in your review at a higher level within our team. Warm regards, Your Luminello Team

LH

Lauren H.

Medical Practice, self-employed

Excellent EMR for Solo Psychiatrist

Overall my experience was wonderful, particularly refreshing after switching from another general EMR. I have recommended Luminello to many peers and would continue to use it if I were ever in private practice again in the future.

Pros

There are many aspects of Luminello that were appealing and worked well for my practice. First is the user interface, which was very easy on the eyes. Being designed by and for psychiatrists, it was also very easy to set up in a way that worked for my practice - the progress note/intake templates worked perfectly, the superbills were formatted properly, etc. Customer support was also extremely responsive and helpful. I appreciated customer service by email, as responding to an email is much easier than making a phone call for me.

Cons

The integrations with Luminello were the area that I felt could have used the most improvement, but they did clearly work on them over the time I used the product. Some integrations only worked if you set up the patient portal (like doxy.me) and the e-prescribing was sometimes difficult to set up because of the need to use Luminello customer support as an intermediary. I would have liked integration with google calendars to help coordinate scheduling when I could not access the Luminello calendar (e.g. on my phone). The mobile interface was also sometimes difficult to use.

Thank you so much for your review, Dr. Havel. We're very glad that Luminello was a great fit for your practice. We are always looking for ways to make our integrations seamless and efficient with many updates coming soon, such as integration with Google Calendar. We will let you know once this new feature is available.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

Highly recommend to cash pay, or therapists/psych who rely on outside billing company

Originally my plan was all cash practice. This would have been perfect for that. I ended up deciding to take insurance. Luminello serves its function very well if you are a therapist or psych provider who wants to keep things simple on the EHR end. However, its billing capacity is super limited compared to other EHRs (no eligibility checks, no reports, no ERA breakdowns, accounts receivable, analysis...

Pros

- Custom intakes - Custom forms - Very simple interface - Messaging system - Never glitchy - Easy to link from website to request an appointment

Cons

- No phone support - No elabs - No fax - No referral function

Thank you for giving Luminello a try in your practice and sharing your feedback so we can learn and grow. To address a few of your thoughts: First, we have implemented live chat and online booking of screenshares. Webinars and phone support are also in our plans. Our teams are also working towards improving Luminello's billing platform, with major updates coming in the next few weeks. Other improvements,...

SS

Sandra S.

Private Practice Mental Health Counseling

It was an okay system when I was a small, solo private practice. It has not grown with me and that's disappointing. I asked early on if they were considering offering a group format and was told it was something they were looking at doing, but in the last 2 years there have been no moves that direction. There are other issues such as my particular license (LPC) was not an option. I had to have them manually add it on their end to get it to populate on my signature. There are nearly always "workarounds" offered when I contact them about issues, but I don't want workarounds. If you don't mind that, it shouldn't be a problem.

Pros

I like the price of Luminello give the features included such as online scheduling, client portal, appointment reminders, billing and payment tracking.

Cons

1. Only one professional can use the CL's email address: If another professional inside or outside your practice uses Luminello and you "share" a CL (ie referral from a psychiatrist for counseling and that psychiatrist uses Luminello in their practice) you have to ask the CL for a different email address because Luminello will not allow you to use any email already in use. The CL then cannot use...

Thank you so much for that feedback, this is so useful to hear. Regarding working with families, we completely agree with you. Good news is that functionality has been built and is in the final stages of testing. Regarding groups, we hear you! That is actively in development. Regarding some processes being slow - we'd love to hear more specifics on that - we'll reach out to you directly as all of...

JG

John G.

Updated review

Pros

Customer service has greatly improved. There was a software glitch that I became aware of on Thursday and emailed customer support. On Friday we had more answers and on Saturday of a holiday weekend I. was notified that my account had been updated and fixed. I had written a poor review previously of customer service some years ago so I wanted to update my previous review. Overall the system runs very well and I appreciate their innovation. I rarely have to communicate with customer support now as they fix problems quickly and service has been de-bugged. I am super impressed they fixed an issue on Saturday of a holiday weekend!

Cons

Sending labs is still difficult. Also, they require patients date of birth when setting up an account for patients which has annoyed me (as opposed to patient typing it themselves). Overall for an EMR I am very pleased.

KW

Katie W.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Exceptional EHR

The Team has been INCREDIBLE. I am incredibly grateful to each person at Luminello who has helped me. I am so thankful for how they fast-tracked the migration process to make it as smooth as possible. Thank you so much.

Pros

The Team has been EXCEPTIONAL at Luminello. They offer individualized attention, support, and assistance to my private psychiatry practice. The platform is user-friendly, efficient, and easy to navigate. The customer service is outstanding. I am incredibly grateful to be using this EHR and highly recommend Luminello to every person looking for an EHR that is focused on mental health & psychiatry.

Cons

Very satisfied. I would only request an integrated Spravato REMS feature for ease of compliance with this treatment and customized templates specific to Spravato and Ketamine Therapy.

Dear Katie, Thank you so much for your incredible review of our EHR for psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners! We are absolutely thrilled that you found it to be perfect. We have put a lot of effort into creating a comprehensive and user-friendly solution, specifically tailored to meet the needs of psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners, and it is incredibly rewarding to know that our hard work has paid off. Your feedback motivates us to continue improving and serving you better. We genuinely appreciate your support and trust in Luminello. Thank you again for your wonderful review!

Medical Practice, self-employed

Pretty good EMR overall

I've had to google questions about some fairly basic luminello functions more than I would have liked to have to do. For example, I couldn't figure out how to edit a note template instead of just editing a form. I also couldn't figure out how to have a patient put credit card information into the system in the room instead of sending them a bill and having them do it on their account. I like that billing is streamlined into the system. It lets me do my own billing codes and combinations of codes. I wish it had some way to put in general information - current meds, allergies, medical history. I think this might be just because it's made more for therapists than physicians, but I'm not sure. Overall, it's been pretty good.

Pros

Their practice policies paperwork is pretty good and is helpful. It sends messages to people promptly and allows me to interact with patients in an easy way by sending surveys and questionnaires and gives me an option to have things signed electronically, although it took a little bit of time to figure out.

Cons

It has been freezing on me lately when I've tried to edit the intake note templates. It's a little confusing trying to figure out how to build forms on it or edit the forms.

We appreciate your feedback as it's very helpful to us when deciding how to approach future updates, and most of the improvements we make to the site are based on feedback from our members. We are always looking for ways to make the site easier to use. We will work on making the answers easier to find and we will be sure to discuss your ideas internally and think through them. Please feel free to reach out to our support desk at support@luminello.com if you have any questions or need any assistance along the way.

KK

Kari K.

Luminello is just the EHR I have been looking for! It is simple, user-friendly, and easy to use.

Pros

There are so many aspects about Luminello that are amazing! Here are a few: - I really appreciate it that it was built by a psychiatrist for mental health providers -- you can tell that it was made with the user in mind - They have responsive, friendly customer support - It has affordable plans, starting with free! - They have E-prescribing, including controlled substances - They have custom note...

Cons

There are few downsides to Luminello. They are a newer EHR, but have already exceeded some other ones that I have tried that have been around longer. Any time there has been a suggestion for improvement, they have listened and are constantly rolling out new features that make Luminello get better and better! At this point, I feel like they already have every feature I need to have the most efficient practice, but I know there is still more to come and I can't wait to see!

KM

Kristen M.

Best EMR I have ever used

I am only in my trial month so I am new to the program but it is already far easier to use then my last EMR.

Pros

Customer service has been fabulous - especially compared to my last EMR. Weekend hours, quick email or chat response, ability to have 10 min zoom call for help, friendliness of staff are outstanding. Price compared to my last service is half the price for a better product. This program is simple, user friendly and easy for both staff and patients to use.

Cons

I have not found anything I am dissappointed in yet.

Hello Kristen, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience using Luminello. We are thrilled to hear that you found our EMR to be user-friendly and effective for your needs. At Luminello, we strive to provide top-quality practice management solutions that can make a real difference in our mental health community. Your positive review inspires us to continue working hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Once again, thank you for your kind words and for choosing Luminello. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to continue serving you.

DR

Dr. Rajnish M.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

I have been using Luminello for about 18 months. It has been a lifesaver!

Pros

The simple, intuitive design and customization to the specific needs of mental health professionals is what attracted me to Luminello. Having ALL the features and services in one place is tremendously helpful. I use the ability to clone notes, use templates, send ratings scales, exchange secure email messages with patients (almost eliminating phone calls), patient self-scheduling of appointments (and...

Cons

They are constantly improving and are adding e-labs as well. I wish they would add e-fax in the future. That is the only feature that I need but Luminello doesn't have yet within the software.

Thanks for the kind review, Dr. Mago! Glad to hear you are having a great experience with Luminello. We also wanted to let you know that an e-fax integration is now past the planning stage and ready for development soon -- we'll let you know once it is ready to go.

SO

Sarah O.

Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees

Luminello makes billing fun!

I can use the parts of Luminello I need and am ready to use, such as scheduling, e-prescribing, the patient portal and billing, but am not required to use features I do not yet have time to learn (but really want to) such as creating my own template or using a pre-made template for SOAP notes. I don't even have to write my notes in the EMR to bill, use the portal or e-prescribe. When I have a question, the tech team has always responded within 24 business hours, often in the same day. Luminello has also been open to hearing my suggestions for features I'd like to see. Overall, it is an aesthetic, very user friendly software and an accessible and responsive company.

Pros

I most like that I did not need to enter my entire caseload into the system in order to start using it. I also love that it is really quite self explanatory, is specific for psychiatry and is not made clunky with features required by other specialties- everything about Luminello is designed to allow a mental health provider do their job, document their notes and easily bill for their time.

Cons

I wish the Luminello calendar synced with the google calendar.

DS

David S.

Medical Practice, 1-10 employees

Full featured and clean

The customer service is better than I have ever seen with any of the 4 products I have used in the past. The system uptime is flawless, and the chat and email support, combined with informative support articles, is a major strength. I have really observed that the support team is trying to help me make this work.

Pros

I am an experienced EMR user and demand that the system work for me. Luminello is packed with individualized features and puts a lot of control of the billing and scheduling process in the hands of the patient. If you want, the patients can self-schedule remotely. I don't use this but I am very happy with the patient managing their personal information, receipts, forms, and credit card info.

Cons

If I could add a feature, patients would be able to get appointment reminders by email or text, not just by email.

Hi David. Your review means the world to us. We work hard every day to improve our platform and meet our customer expectations, so we're very happy about your positive words. Great news, reminders via text message are in development. We'll make sure to let you know once ready.

MT

Mudassar T.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

A good developing EHR for mental health

Pros

ease of use, customer portal, customised forms to be filled by patients, practice revenue management and EOBs, note shortcuts, low price,

Cons

lack of functionality for groups / multiple providers, need a lot of clicks to print patient statements, labs are not integrated and almost always need additional info, no efaxing, no text/phone reminders to patients, page needs a lot of computer hardware resources, dose spot automatic refill request functionality is a hit or miss, lack of phone customer support, inability for a parent to make two accounts with same email for two kids seen by a clinician and parents has to use two different emails, customer invitation link keeps expiring if an account is not made in few hours

Thanks so much for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with it. We understand the frustrations you have with working with families. We are in the final stages of testing this feature and will be releasing it soon! The other features you mention above are on our development list and some of which are being actively worked on. We will be sure to follow up with you as soon as the new features are ready to launch. Additionally, we¿ll contact you directly to discuss all your concerns as we¿d love to hear more about them.

MB

Marisa B.

Hospital & Health Care, self-employed

Almost There

Customer service was prompt, although there is no calling a representative in the event of urgent needs. I would consider Luminello in the future if the advertised features worked for my practice. However at this point I am pursuing alternatives.

Pros

The application has many great features for a small private practice— client portal, scheduling, a screening form for new clients, customizable templates. The pricing is straightforward and fair, with new provider/low-volume pricing. I appreciate not being constantly upsold other products from sales, which I’ve experienced with other platforms.

Cons

Many of the advertised integrations worked poorly compared to competitors. I initially chose Luminello due to its focus on mental health and solution as a one product for my small private practice. However, I ended up using separate vendors for scheduling, billing, prescribing, labs, and Telehealth. That created a disjointed experience for me and my clients. Another feature that I liked was having intake forms filled by the client automatically populate in notes. The functionality of this didn’t work for me, as your intake note would need to match the form exactly.

LM

Leah M.

I always recommend Luminello

Pros

I love the flow and ease of use of Luminello. All the features that I utilize for my practice are included which are the eprescribing, note charting, scheduling, billing, and intake form. They are all very simple and effective to use.

Cons

Difficult to set up self scheduling for my clients. I am unable to program specific responses or information to the appointment reminder or confirmation messages. Also, if they self-schedule, they are not able to receive the link for virtual appointments, so I always have to message them separately.

Hi Leah! We appreciate your thoughtful review. It's wonderful to hear that you found our platform to be user-friendly and that our features benefited your practice. We'll be pleased to help you set up the scheduling for your clients/patients. To tell you more about that, we'll get in touch with you immediately.