Quartzy Logo

Digital lab management program for R&D organizations

Quartzy Reviews

Suggested alternatives

procuredesk
negotiatus
fraxion-spend-management

It's a good way to keep track of our lab materials, the price we paid, and when we last ordered them. It has a good catalog of items and we can often save money by ordering through Quartzy.
The customer service is like none other! they are so responsive and helps to resolve any issues as soon as possible.
Ability to track spending by project is great and ability to turn this information into data files is really helpful.
Quartzy does not connect to our ERP, so we have to do a lot of manual work. The import template is awful because it doesn't match the request button, so I still get stuck doing manual entry work.
The biggest problem we face is a lack of transparency regarding backorders and shipping delays.
Nothing is difficult about the software. I don’t like the extra handling charges and I can find cheaper options sometimes through my university’s system.

Desiree B.

Research Associate

Research, 1,001-5,000 employees

Quartzy works!

Transcript

Desiree: Hi. My name is Desiree and I'm a research associate and I give Quartzy five out of five stars....

MK

Matt K.

Graduate Student

Research, 11-50 employees

Great for organizing and keeoing tabs on Orders

Transcript

Matt K: Hi, my name is Matt and I work as a financial and department assistant in academic research for...

JF

Johnny F.

Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Quartzy made my job easier AND saves my labs thousands per year.

We solved most of the standard issues laboratories have under other supply chain management systems: Inventory control, best possible pricing, lack of or slow customer service from vendors, requisitions from the technician/primary investigator, expiration date control, etc etc etc. And that was in addition to savings of over 10,000 USD per year from our budget. The customer support is excellent. The days wasted on the phone trying to track down the status of an order are a thing of the past. Backorders, substitutions, returns and exchanges are all one click or in-app message away.

Pros

Complete control of all inventory items is fully customizable. all of the time and paper wasted in our previous supply chain has been eliminated. Fully functional on any web capable device, anytime, anywhere. Free upload service for prior inventory and purchase request forms by Quartzy saved me hundreds of hours of work As a vendor prices are beyond competitive and the customer support should be the standard for all industry.

Cons

The only complaint I have at this time is that the access/supply chain tabs are fixed. This is not a huge issue, but I would like to be able to add a "Processing" tab and additional approval tabs to better fit our system.

HW

Hilary W.

Biotechnology, 11-50 employees

Easy, free way to track purchases

My overall experience with Quartzy after more than four years is excellent. They are quick to respond to queries and we are only getting value. Quartzy has become an invaluable tool that I have recommended to another lab manager setting up a lab and I don't hesitate to recommend it to others.

Pros

The software is easy to use. It makes it a snap to set up order requests and approvals. Once the work has been done to request an item, it is saved in your history so that you can easily generate re-orders. The software and tracking are free; you only pay if you purchase through Quartzy. It's easy to see if your price or Quartzy's is better. If you are in a position where you have not made purchase agreements with vendors, Quartzy may actually save you money by being a large buyer and passing savings on to you.

Cons

If you do order through Quartzy, you may experience delays relative to ordering directly from the supplier. Quartzy has items in their own inventory which are quicker to acquire and other items they are first going to the supplier. The latter introduces a middle man which can cause an increase in errors or processing time. I choose to track inventory in other ways, however, one can also explore that function.

RM

Rock M.

Education Management, 11-50 employees

"OK" Considering it is free

My overall experience with quartzy has been disappointing mostly because they removed many of the features that I found to be useful. This prevents me from reasonably recommending them to anyone else. Further, if a different product comes along in the future, this makes us more likely to switch platforms.

Pros

In its current state, quartzy is a standard management system that we use to streamline ordering supplies and keeping a chemical inventory for my group of 12 people. I like that lab members can generate order requests, and that I can approve them, electronically. I also like that once a chemical arrives it only takes one click to add it to our inventory.

Cons

When quartzy started, it originally had many more features than it does now. It would be great if they brought back things like calendars that would let you schedule equipment and meetings, the ability to post messages, etc.

SS

Sara S.

Renewables & Environment, 11-50 employees

Quartzy is a star!

Quartzy helps me ensure I get all purchase requests taken care of in a timely manner and keep track of packages and inventory when they arrive. I'm grateful we decided to utilize this service because it's been a lifesaver!

Pros

I've been using Quartzy for a few years now and it is key in making my job easier. I handle purchasing and I appreciate the simplicity Quartzy offers my team! The entire dashboard is easy to navigate and makes purchasing and keeping track of inventory a breeze. I love the customizable sections and filters, especially when I need to find old orders. I'm also grateful for the discounted prices on certain products when we purchase directly through Quartzy.

Cons

When we first started using Quartzy there was no limit on the number of requests that could be submitted at a time. Now, it's limited to 5 items per request. I have to admit this limit is kind of daunting, especially when I'm inputting lengthly order requests from my colleagues, but it is what it is. I'd also love if the actual orders we make on Quartzy would show the Grant specified in the Purchase History section. I find that I need to go back to the actual request to find the Grant info, and it would be helpful if it showed somewhere near the tracking or invoice number. Those would be my only critiques of Quartzy.

KB

Ken B.

Research, 11-50 employees

Easy to use, but user interface can be obnoxious/misleading

Overall it's good. The only reason I would switch to another product are for the "cons" above.

Pros

I think it's very easy to use. I like the fact it will look up and prepopulate part information for the user upon simply entering the vendor and part number. I like that I can look up previous orders and re-order them quickly without having to re-enter part information.

Cons

There are clearly elements of the user interface that are intended to trick and mislead the user into purchasing parts through Quartzy. First, the "Quartzy store" search bar is at the top of the page, and I have accidentally used this search bar when trying to search through the Requests and Inventory tabs, which are adjacent to the Quartzy Store Search bar. It's location appears to be intended to...

AS

Ann S.

This what we use

Overall and daily use is pleasant. Not much headache and it is easy to use and get the hang of.

Pros

I like having all requests in once place. Regardless if they're purchased directly through Quartzy or another vendor. Most features are intuitive and easy to use. The chat feature or direct message feature is very useful. Customer service has always been on point for me and I appreciate the time

Cons

When using the export feature, it would be helpful from an accounting standpoint to be able to export only received items by date. As it works right now, I must export all open orders by guessing how far back a request may have been submitted and then filter the excel accordingly. While it does work, it takes more time than should be necessary. Also, sometimes the page doesn't refresh or glitches. Which could be due to office internet. There's been a few instances where I'm in the Approval tab placing orders and all of a sudden the order I just placed wasn't actually approved. Needless to say that can be a bit frustrating. I'm glad it doesn't happen that often and I've gotten into the habit to refresh the page manually.

AL

Annie L.

Plastics, 11-50 employees

I love everything about Quartzy

Logging our chemical inventory is easier, logistics of requesting and purchasing items is easier. I spend less time managing this process so I can get on to doing other things.

Pros

My company started using Quartzy as an chemical inventory service and loved it. I previously was using an excel sheet to log all our chemicals. Using Quartzy I am able to accurately log and edit all incoming chemicals super easily. After about a year of using Quartzy as just an inventory service, we started purchasing from Quartzy and I could not be more pleased. It is SO easy to request items, purchase from Quartzy, alert the requested to when the item has arrived, and then add the new item to the inventory.

Cons

I really do not like the shop search bar being at the top of the page when I am looking at the inventory or another page. It is confusing and I accidentally type in what I want to search in my inventory into the shop all the time!

AD

Angel D.

Research, 11-50 employees

QUARTZY is a great tool to administer a research lab!

Very positive. Highly recommend to any research lab.

Pros

The best thing about it is that QUARTZY has access to several reagents (biological and non-biological) from the most common vendors. Therefore, there is no need to have multiple accounts (many usernames, many passwords, etc.). In addition, it keeps track of your order - from confirmation to tracking number - all in one place. Finally, when you have received the product you have an option of adding...

Cons

Overall I really like it and have suggested to colleagues (new and established labs) to use it. As it stands, I have no issues with it. Recently, I have been thinking that having like a "Budget track" feature would be nice since we are given budgets on supplies but maybe its just me.

AW

Amy W.

Biotechnology, 51-200 employees

Suggestions

Positive! I always get a quick response when I inquire about a purchase I made through the site directly.

Pros

I like how I can easily track my items I order - whether it is directly through Quartzy or from other vendors and import my purchases into Quartzy to track.

Cons

When I look at the "ordered" tab - I use multiple labs to find the items I am ordering to track them. I then export to print off a "receiving list" for people to use to actually check off what items arrive. It would be much easier to do this without having to switch between each lab, export each order list and then merge them all together into Excel. If I could just do this as one step, it would be much easier. It would also be beneficial to have more accurate availability dates when ordering through Quartzy directly. There's been times when I placed an order under the impression that it was available, but actually wasn't due to QC results, etc.

KK

Krishna K.

Nanotechnology, 11-50 employees

A comprehensive lab management system

Excellent! everybody who uses is find it intuitive and useful. It has streamlined our workflows.

Pros

Quartzy captures our purchasing workflow, inventory management, and an online shopping/recommendation service into one seamless system that forms the backbone of our lab operations.

Cons

It will be great if Quartzy could implement a URL filter service which picks up the item name/supplier etc. from just the URL and makes the order request placement simpler+faster

SH

Sara H.

Quartzy for Laboratory Supplies

I find Quartzy to be easy to use for finding things that I need for my lab and it gives an additional way for me to keep track of a lab inventory and/or a way to keep track of previous purchases for recurring lab items that is convenient.

Pros

First, let me say that the customer service has been at least as good as anywhere else I have ever ordered from, if not better. I generally find that I can often get items that my lab needs at the same price (or cheaper) and Quartzy is more transparent about the shipping costs and the status of shipment/estimated delivery dates. Sometimes I order from Quartzy instead of the direct company for things that I need just for these features.

Cons

I feel like some of the organizational features, like search filters, aren't always available or aren't always given to me as helpful options. And I feel like when I put a search into the search bar, my results aren't always as appropriate to my search as I would like. Sometimes it feels like you must make certain searches in a very specific way to have the best return on your search results. And sometimes I get filter options that filter out ALL of my results if I apply them, and I don't think that should be how the filter options populate for a search.

DC

Devon C.

Research, 1-10 employees

We are happy we started using this service

It has been a very positive one. We have a functional platform for ordering and inventory. I am very happy that we made this change.

Pros

We like that it created and builds an inventory for our lab by just ordering. It is a great way for requests to be located in one place. All lab members have access to what we have on-hand and where it is located.

Cons

My least favorite thing about this is not knowing if suggested companies are reputable as far as replacement products. We chose to try a suggested product and it was faulty...it didn't work for the application it was for. So, now my lab mates won't allow us to try suggested products because it ruined some valuable samples. However, I will say that we got our money back and the customer service was great in replacing the product with the trusted brand and refunding our money for the product that didnt work for us.

MA

Meghan A.

Research, 1,001-5,000 employees

Incredibly Useful

Pros

Their platform is so easy to use and makes tracking lab staff's order requests, approvals, funding allocations and shipment tracking so easy and organized in one place. It has great features for members to track and inquire about their own requests. Administrators can also filter the requests to create PO's and requisitions and even export excel files which has been very helpful when updating inventory. Another great feature is being able to order through their shop that offer competitive prices and other deals on general lab supplies.

Cons

I didn't like how all users can choose to accept an alternative quote from Quartzy. I'm happy that they've made it simple to change the vendor on an order before the order is placed without having to cancel it.

AE

Annie E.

Higher Education, 1-10 employees

Quartzy is a useful Lab Management tool

Overall I find Quartzy to be a very helpful lab management tool. For any problems I have encountered with ordering, customer service has always been very responsive, friendly and helpful.

Pros

As the manager of a university research lab, I find Quartzy to be a very useful lab management tool. I can keep all of the records of what I purchase for the lab from any source, as well as from Quartzy itself. This makes a very handy data base for reordering, keeping chemical or other inventories and keeping track of monthly spending without having to use different programs for record keeping.

Cons

I mostly use the ordering and inventory features. Some tasks can be a bit cumbersome to navigate at first, but once you understand the system it works well. I recommend the tutorials for the trouble spots.

WW

William W.

Biotechnology, 1-10 employees

Great customer service, could use some more customization options.

The customer service has been great. Always a pleasure to interact with them.

Pros

The broad range of suppliers that can be easily accessed is really useful.

Cons

I'm not sure if it's possible to have a default mode that removes some suppliers from the results. It would be great to have a 'trusted' and 'not trusted' supplier list to filter out results. For many chemicals, especially common ones I have to scroll through the same 'cheap and unreliable' vendors every time. Also, integration of shipping tracking information is spotty.

LR

Lisa R.

Quartzy review

It is easy for my office to add requests and I can place the orders from anywhere in an orderly fashion. Again customer service is terrific in getting back to you timely and efficient in solving problems.

Pros

The ease of ordering whether from Quartzy or linking me thru the URL but most of all customer service is fantastic. Keeping track of items previously ordered and basic inventory at my finger tips is great too!

Cons

one common issue I have is putting PO numbers on the requested item page and they disappear if you use the same PO for several items. I rely on the PO's when I check items in as received cross referencing with the shipping list.

CD

Christina D.

Good software

Overall good

Pros

This free software is very easy to use. However, while beta testing this software, it was easier to find an item when performing a search in inventory. For example, If you want to search “B27”, I would be able to locate it easily finding something similar. However, for a while now, if the item is listed as B-27, I cannot find B27 since it’s not exactly B-27, so it would return no results. That is frustrating. Overall, I like the program and will continue to use it as way to keep track of expenses and orders.

Cons

See above response regarding search function

EP

Edwardo P.

Biotechnology, 11-50 employees

Game changer for our company

Its been fantastic, some benefits include: - less time consuming, freeing up my time to focus on other work projects - more environmentally friendly by largely reducing the amount of paper we previously used - making it easier to track spending and subsequently project budgets for the future - being able to remotely sign off on POs has been critical during this pandemic, as prior I had to have a wet signature or sign docs as PDFs which is more cumbersome - being able to see and have suggested better available pricing on items that are to be ordered

Pros

The ease it provides in reviewing and approving POs. Moreover, eliminating all the paper and wet signatures I would have to execute daily, as all POs have to be approved by me.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say. Quartzy has streamlined things for us in so many ways.

WH

William H.

Biotechnology, 11-50 employees

Quartzy-Very handy and easy to use

Quartzy has made purchasing easy - thank you! I have used a wide variety of purchasing systems, especially in the University of California system and Quartzy is much better.

Pros

For most of our purchasing Quartzy is able to great prices on a wide range of products for a wide range of vendors. Our purchasing is done mostly on Quartzy, so it has become a one-stop website for 90% of our purchases. Quartzy keeps a running inventory and frequently purchased record which is easy to access.

Cons

If I have a preferred purchasing arrangement with a particular vendor I can't get through Quartzy.

MR

Michelle R.

Research, 10,001+ employees

Easy to use software that helps save my lab a lot of money

Since we have a larger lab, Quartzy has been a great option for helping us order on one platform, keeping inventory, and estimating arrival time for items. Overall, I think this would be great for every lab or office.

Pros

Abilities for specific inventories are nice, user friendly, customer service is great for all inquiries. Search for cheaper options for the exact same item or an equivalent is very helpful and the products are good.

Cons

There are "ok" or "cancel" pop up boxes for a lot of functions that are not necessary since revising and cancelling orders is so easy.

LP

Leslie P.

Quartzy is a lab saver

Inventory and safety documentation

Pros

We use this mainly for inventory and SDS compilations. For this it is exactly what we need.

Cons

The search is improving but still hard to filter results. You tend to loose valid products the more you filter. When ordering the same product from one of Quartzy's third party vendors, it creates a new item in the inventory creating redundancy. Also, we'd like to switch to a barcoding system but using Quartzy generated barcodes are useless for ordering, it's only useful for inventory purposes.

JW

Jessie W.

Education Management, 5,001-10,000 employees

Good software for purchasing and inventory

Pros

This allows our faculty and grad students to place an order, get it signed off by the chair and purchased by the stockman with no interaction between people. Our old method used to be filling out paper slips and then running around until we ran into the right people to sign off on it. Plus with the automatic inventory system, very nice.

Cons

The biggest problem i have is about a third of the time i use it, the server seems to be running slow, so can be a bit painful.

LB

Livia B.

Biotechnology, 1-10 employees

Works great for inventory- have some issues with delivery timing

Pros

I think it's a great way to organize our orders and to also find better deals for some items. Not as great for our inventory as a whole, but we may not be using all of the options to the best of our ability

Cons

I struggle sometimes with the delivery timing of things we order through Quartzy. While placing an order, it will often say "order now to receive by X date" and there are often times when the delivery is not at that time. I understand that all shipping and tracking are subject to error, but we have later delivery dates than expected for items through Quartzy than any other site where we order.

AC

Aurore-Cecile V.

Research, 51-200 employees

Very useful , super easy

Save a lot of time to track order , also helpful for inventory

Pros

Easy for everyone in the team to use. Easy for everyone to track order. Like the fact that you can mention where you put a product when you receive it. Like the fact that Quartzy has some quotes and a shop. Good history tool and search tool. Super helpful customer team

Cons

The fact that I don't always receive mail notification for a new order put on Quartzy or with a long delay.

KD

Katherine D.

Biotechnology, 51-200 employees

Flexible System

I love working with the Quartzy Team. We have been using this product since the "early days". It is very nice to see feed back, be taken in and implimented.

Pros

I really like that this allows my end users to keep up to date with their orders, and out of my office.

Cons

I wish there was two part approvals that could be triggered by dollar amount, or grant ID.