Escapia Logo

Escapia

Vacation rental software and guest management system

Escapia Reviews

4.5

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.95/10

Reviews by rating

Escapia made setup super easy and has always provided great support while keeping the cost affordable. They continue to release new features and products annually to assist property managers.
We enjoy the self paced online tutorials for training new staff members. We are glad they have streamlined the Glad to Have you product directly into Escapia.
The reservations section is very good, distribution partners, and support is great to communicate with. Trust the software and never reporting for reservations.
Very disjointed, I often refer to it as frankenstein because it feels like all the modules were poorly connected together. Does not have an open API so integration with other systems is limited.

DS

Dan S.

Great Overall Product

Couldn't function well without it. Very pleased

Pros

Not only does the software have all the functionality, channel management and ease of use one would expect, but very important to us, it provides good trust accounting and absolutely far and above customer support.

Cons

It took some time to learn initially but that was due to its expansive overall functionality. Many upgrades to the software over the years has greatly enhanced the ease of use.

KM

Kelley M.

Real Estate, self-employed

Thank you Escapia!

Wonderful! Everyone is nice, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Pros

Always can reach someone if I have an issue. 24 hour service!!

Cons

I’m still confused on some accounting, but I’m sure I will get that straight soon!

BD

Bradley D.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Does a lot of stuff... if you can figure it out

Pros

Escapia has a lot of features: EscapiaNET allows you to distribute units to many listing sites and other softwares, the rate engine and fees allow you to set up a lot of rate rules etc, and the reservation grid makes it easy to see which units are booked when. There are also a lot of reports available to generate from Escapia.

Cons

Escapia's biggest con really is that it is so complicated. Nothing is easy to do in Escapia, nothing is intuitive. Even after using it for years I still have a hard time remembering and figuring out where everything is. There is a lot of support documentation, but even that isn't always easy to use, and some of it is outdated.

BB

Becky B.

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

The ONLY software you need for Vacation Rentals!

This is your one stop shop. Escapia connects seamless to your VRBO listings, so you can manage headlines and guest inquiries right from Escapia. We have tried other softwares that boosted in helping our business, but the lack of support those companies gave us, ultimately made us stop using them. We have a million parts moving each day and we need a central hub that keeps everything on track. Escapia is that for us!

Pros

The support we receive from the Escapia team has been like no other software companies we have used! The changing over to Escapia was hard for our team who have been using v12, but the Escapia team made sure we were comfortable being going live. The new rates manager is amazing! It makes setting and adjusting rates a breeze! No more looking at different windows and setting rate rules . Its all in one screen.

Cons

We are missing some key reports we used in V12, but the Escapia team has listened to our requests and are working on new reporting for Escapia. Its a learning curve to switch software companies, but its been worth it.

CL

Cathy L.

Escapia is a powerful professional tool to help you run your businss

A powerful tool for the complete needs of a vacation rental management company, from providing guest quotes, customizing guest arrival experience, to managing accounts.

Pros

The accounting side of this software is strong and a knowledgeable user has powerful tools. Owner statements are transparent and clearly structured. Correspondence is attractive and easy to customize. The various tools available for setting rates/manipulating rates are easy to use. The reservation grid is easy to understand, and the filters and quotes make the reservationists' work easier and...

Cons

Features for automated or scheduled correspondence are weak. There is no "notes" area associated with owners for keeping a record of requests, authorizations, etc. Because it is a powerful system, to develop the skills necessary to fully take advantage of its many useful features means you need to invest some time and effort. That is not really a "con" to me. If you have a good tool, you want...

HP

Hayley P.

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Best Overall Management Software

It makes the ease of making reservation easy for our staff overall and the guests have less wait time on the phone while making a reservation. The ease of adjusting rents and creating rate rules allows for more revenue at the end of each year without any mistakes.

Pros

So many great things to say it is hard to know where to start. It is so easy to keep track of what is being completed where and by who. Always time stamps with names on holds, reservations, payments, refunds as well as email correspondence. The visual calendar is another added bonus because it gives a great overall picture of each home and dates that are and are not available so filing spots is very...

Cons

When adding some new charges they can be hard to track if you are not 100% sure which report that you should be running to find them. Processing revenue can be difficult at some times when guests are in house and reservations crossover between months. This is mostly because if you need to adjust a reservation and revenue has already been processed it can cause some errors with commissions. Just have to be extra aware of what you are doing to not make any mistakes.

JW

John W.

Going Beyond a Necessary Evil

I like the changes we are seeing in Escapia. I still have some baggage from their past communication practices (starting around 2018) that have given me a lasting impression of a "like it or leave" attitude. By this, I mean that they would make sweeping changes that felt at odds with their service partners, with little window for feedback or interaction, all while knowing that there are few better alternatives to their platform. They've improved their communication since 2018, but I still find myself unsure if their changes are for the better of their PM clients. I think they are taking the right steps, however, and my trust is being rebuilt in them.

Pros

I like the gradual commitment to improvement that Escapia has been implementing over the past year. I think the COVID-19 crisis prompted urgent action on improving their software, now that most people in the vacation rental industry are working remotely. The UI changes and business/performance dashboards have made navigating and interpreting information much better.

Cons

The unit integration navigation still feels clunky. Thankfully, we don't have a substantial amount of 3rd-party apps that we need to integrate, but it would be nice to have a core integration hub that makes app navigation easier.

JM

Joy M.

Absolutely Over the Top Pleased with Escapia by HomeAway!

I made the decision that Escapia would suit our needs best (in Feb of 2014).The integration is very detailed, but I knew what the end goal was when I had researched Escapia. One determining factor in going with Escapia, was the fact that HomeAway was so active and aggressive in this industry. It only made sense to partner with the Giant and take advantage of all the opportunities it would offer my...

MK

Michelle K.

Real Estate, self-employed

Holiday Rental Management

Has been a wonderful experience. The team help with transition from one platform to another and have found the support to be fantastic.

Pros

I love the Reservations Dashoboard. This allows me to manage my week and future bookings.I can get an overall view of my properties in terms of availability, what is booking, and what property I perhaps need to focus on.

Cons

Daily banking reconciliation and monthly reconciliation.

Escapia has worked great for our companies needs.

As our business has grown the software has made our day to day work easier and more streamlined. Escapia has been great about adding and updating the product on a regular basis with customers imput.

Pros

We have used Escapia for years and have seen a lot of changes along the way. The software is easy to use and train new employees on.

Cons

Over the years we have found the the customer service to be challenging and the software does not handle long term rentals easily.

MA

Mike A.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Great software that is well established in the vacation rental industry

We have found Escapia to be an established, tested, and well-engineered product that serves us well. Although there is no perfect property management system for the vacation rental space due to the industry's overall fragmentation, we have been impressed with their willingness to listen to customer feedback on suggested enhancements. Most importantly, their support is a key attribute to our relationship. No matter how small (or large) our support needs are, they have always been quickly accessible and extremely helpful in delivering solutions.

Pros

Trust accounting is the backbone of our business and we rest easy knowing that Escapia's accounting module is rock solid. Our integrations with other products has been seamless and we find the overall layout and functionality of Escapia to be intuitive and not "click" intensive.

Cons

We don't have any complaints about Escapia

BS

Bethany S.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Love Escapia, excited for their new software

I have loved my experience with Escapia and VRBO! They have wonderful customer service and this software is very easy to use.

Pros

I have so many great things to say about Escapia. My number one is customer support. If you can't figure something out immediately, give them a call and it will be fixed within minutes. We manage 70 vacation rental properties and use Escapia for pictures, descriptions, rates, everything! We recently attended one of their meetings where they announced they will be launching a new, more updated Escapia to combine their other softwares as well. I am very excited!

Cons

Sometimes it will go out for a while, but they do always have it back up and running in a timely manner. There's nothing to say I like the least because they are always willing to fix anything.

AM

Alexandra M.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Perfect for vacation rental management companies small to large!

I have used Escapia or V12 at several companies for more than 8 years and I think once you learn the basics, it is very easy to become a master user, and I keep finding new features and reports that are really helpful!

Pros

The 3 best features of Escapia are 1. they are always updating and adding new features to be current with trends and needs of property manager. 2. They have absolutely the best support team of any software I have used to date. 3. The seamless integration with VRBO/HomeAway is unmatched with any other program!

Cons

The upfront cost is steep especially given how many other web based programs charge per unit and not a huge upfront commitment. And the aesthetic of the site to me, is not very appealing and seems out of date.

BG

Brittany G.

Easy, efficient, and well worth the investment. We have been on for over 4 years now!

Pros

Easy to use, constant updates with details/advanced notice and how-tos, many....MANY reports from which to choose. Great marketing API feeds for listing sites/software to help you succeed in the vacation rental space, color-coded reservation grid for easy filtering and tracking.

Cons

The ability for Homeaway/VRBO brand to match back reservations on source - I pay for a secure software. The last thing I want is my data being stored, shared, and who knows what else by marketing platforms. While the reports are fantastic, sometimes it'd be nice to have the ability to make your own report that didn't cost an arm and a leg for information that's already in the system.

SS

Shawn S.

Escapia Keeps Getting Better

The Escapia/HomeAway team has a great group of individuals that I believe truly care for the future and well being of our company as well as other property management companies. Escapia offers a great training program for new employees as well as ongoing support and training for existing users. Every facet of the software is being constantly improved. Reservationists enjoy the grid's flexibility and functionality. Housekeepers love the Housekeeping dashboard. The use of automatic payments and contracts have been gamechangers in saving time and improving efficiency. Overall, I'm not sure if you will find a better rental management software and team behind it for the money. We love it.

Pros

Yield managment, training, uservoice, automatic payments

Cons

Still think there's room for improvement on the service order side.

AW

Abby W.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

We've used Escapia for 11 years and depend on their excellent support staff to keep things running

After 11 years I'm still very happy with Escapia. I know they are working hard to update and improve all features in the software. And because of their excellent customer service people, we are staying with them for the future.

Pros

Customer support is easy to reach and very helpful. They are always working to improve the software and be current and ahead of the competition. In today's complex market, that is not an easy job.

Cons

As the company's bookkeeper I've always wished for a better accounting module. But for reservation management, it is great.

EV

Emily V.

11-50 employees

If we leave Escapia, I quit.

The software is incredible. Support is a-ma-zing. Our Client Solutions Manager is possibly the most responsive person I've met in my whole life. Hands-down, my favorite thing about Escapia is that THEY are never satisfied with where they are. Any question I have or suggestion for improving functionality is taken seriously. I have never worked with any software (in this industry or any other) that is so in tune to what their clients want. I've told our business owner, "If we change software, I quit."

Pros

Escapia is never happy with the status quo. They listen to clients and make sure the software grows with our needs.

Cons

Check in! It's not functional. We go off-book and use a Google Spreadsheet. It has a long way to go.

GC

Gail C.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

I’m not liking the changes Homeaway has made

I have a good account manager that helps me through the changes they make, and that has made my decision to continue to list with them easier. They used to be a lot more “ vacation manager friendly”. I prefer to stay with the subscription model vs the PP, and feel like since they changed I haven’t been getting as good of booking results.

Pros

The reach that Homeaway /Escapia has is undeniably huge. I like that they have established a bridge or portal with my software company, so I only have to enter the listing info once.

Cons

I really dislike the way they have changed their business platform from a marketing platform to a booking platform.

MP

Mandi P.

Room for improvement

Escapia is taking feedback and appear to be working to improve the software. Currently though it is a daily frustration. The system stops working daily, it's slow, doesn't communicate well with our other software systems. Hoping the new updates later this year will remedy many of the issues we've experienced.

Pros

For the most part it is easy to use and mostly self-explanatory for creating and monitoring reservations.

Cons

It experiences glitches or stops working almost daily. We continuously receive a screen for "server error" or just a grey spinning wheel, that prevents your from doing anything. Many days we have to log off or clear cookies just to get it to work again. This happens far too frequently to be beneficial for our company.

BB

Brian B.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Support is great but some changes to program seem rushed and not thought out well.

Escapia is a great retail rental reservation and property management software for vacation rental property managers. The system is always online and support is excellent. The industry is evolving quickly and Escapia tries to stay current.

Pros

Cons

Lead management system, service orders, and some accounting reports are very challenging to use and we use outside software for these functions.

CS

Cynthia S.

Horrible customer support

Every time I call with a major problem, they have to send it up the ladder as they say. In effect what that does it put me off for another 48 hours. When I call after 72 hours, I am told it is going to a Tier 2. Again another 48 hours. It has now been a week tomorrow and nobody has even looked at my problem and it is on my bank reconciliation that needs to be done before I pay my owners. Nobody seems to care.

Pros

Ease of making a reservation can be done by anyone.

Cons

It is impossible to get help when you need it. For instance over 60,000.00 disappearing from the bank reconciliation and it has been almost a week and I have heard from noone.

DC

Don C.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Escapia Review

Overall poorly conceived, poorly developed, poorly serviced.

Pros

Thought it would be a good idea to stay with our former software vendor.

Cons

Slow user response time. Crashes two or three times per day per user. Tech support blames end user for server crashes - even though we are running Win 10 on Intel NUCs on commercial grade internet service. Sales representative clueless about the poor performance of the software. System crashes while trainer is demonstrating the software - "hmm, that shouldn't be happening..." Awkward use of folios...

JB

Jeanie B.

Using Escapia has streamlined our business in a very positive way!

Pros

The customer support is on point, and a huge for us. Love the various reports, OwnerWeb Portal, Software University and "Online Community." Keeps our company ahead of the game.

Cons

Pricing plans/coupon codes a bit confusing but support is amazing and does a pretty good job of making sure you comprehend the logistics and helps make sure they are right in your software.

DK

Diane K.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

escapia is great on many levels and you have some terrific associates. but there are still challeng

on line reservations. home away pm app.

Pros

The support team is great. The reservation system is also great. The marketing is also good. EAsy to use

Cons

Reviews do not transfer over to homeaway and vrbo listing correctly. does not talk to quick books in accounting. Service orders are not the easiest to use. needs work.

SG

Stacey G.

Real Estate, 11-50 employees

Escapia Software Review

Escapia makes paying owners, tracking renters and reservations as well as lining up departure cleanings. We have used other property management softwares in the past and Escapia is by far our favorite.

Pros

This software is easy to use and set up is a breeze. The customer service is always available to help with any issues when needed.

Cons

Some features are not flexible nor do they work well with the way we have our business structured. They do offer some work arounds but not complete fixes.