Escapia Reviews

Escapia

Vacation rental software and guest management system

4.38/5 (96 reviews)

Pros
  • Pros - Escapia is user friendly, easy to use, easy to navigate through tabs on reservation screens. Customer Service are always helpful and knowledgeable and the training materials are of great value.Karen A.Read the full review
  • Customer Service and Support are great to work with and we feel that any kind of feedback is appreciated. We don't regret going this route and would certainly recommend the software to others.Conny R.Read the full review
  • This is the worlds best software. I love the fact that it is really step by step for everything.Tyrone S.Read the full review
Cons
  • It experiences glitches or stops working almost daily. We continuously receive a screen for "server error" or just a grey spinning wheel, that prevents your from doing anything.Mandi P.Read the full review
  • Sales representative clueless about the poor performance of the software. System crashes while trainer is demonstrating the software - "hmm, that shouldn't be happening.Don C.Read the full review
  • Features for automated or scheduled correspondence are weak. There is no "notes" area associated with owners for keeping a record of requests, authorizations, etc.Cathy L.Read the full review
recommended this to a friend or a colleague
Bharath (BEN) Narasimmaiah

Best PM Software

Reviewed 2018-09-25

Pros
Very easy to understand and cost effective. Each module has a unique ability to help hospitality business.

Cons
The time it takes to learn or understand the software. however the CSR team is good and always supportive

Cathy Landis

Escapia is a powerful professional tool to help you run your businss

Reviewed 2018-07-11

A powerful tool for the complete needs of a vacation rental management company, from providing guest quotes, customizing guest arrival experience, to managing accounts.

Pros
The accounting side of this software is strong and a knowledgeable user has powerful tools. Owner statements are transparent and clearly structured. Correspondence is attractive and easy to customize. The various tools available for setting rates/manipulating rates are easy to use. The reservation grid is easy to understand, and the filters and quotes make the reservationists' work easier and more consistent. Integration with Glad Hospitality helps provide a good guest experience without much effort (once the initial setup is complete). The reports are informative and useful. Bank reconciliation tool is an absolute essential. Having used Escapia and other VRM software while working for other companies, when I started my own company, I knew the only software I wanted to use was Escapia.

Cons
Features for automated or scheduled correspondence are weak. There is no "notes" area associated with owners for keeping a record of requests, authorizations, etc. Because it is a powerful system, to develop the skills necessary to fully take advantage of its many useful features means you need to invest some time and effort. That is not really a "con" to me. If you have a good tool, you want to learn to take full advantage of it. However, for a new user, it could seem a little scary. But we found that it's not terribly difficult to learn what you need to learn in order to successfully take advantage of the system as a basic user, and that if you want to stop there, you can and you'll still have a good system. It's worth putting in the work, though, to become a skilled user to take advantage of the full capabilities of the system.

Bethany Siu

A Big Complicated Software.

Reviewed 2017-01-05

Escape has a lot of features, and potentially a lot of power, but it's so complicated that it's easy to miss a step and mess something up badly. Almost nothing about the software is user-friendly or intuitive, everything is convoluted and complicated, and requires many steps and a lot of double-checking. This also applies to EscapiaNET, which is also not as straightforward as one would hope since property information shows up differently on different platforms. I would count this one of the most useful features of Escapia. We have enjoyed being able to integrate with Glad To Have You and use that for guest communication and contracts, and we also push our properties out to other platforms. EscapiaNET is not without flaws and we have had issues even integrating with VRBO (which is also owned by HomeAway so you would think that would be easy), mostly because of the number of complicated, easy-to-forget steps to make sure everything is perfect in Escape. However, to be fair, I don't know if integration through any other property management software would provide better integration. As it does seem like a very challenging thing to do well.

Pros
Escape customer support has done a good job troubleshooting and explaining how things work when I contact them. There are also lots of training resources, self-help articles, explanatory videos, etc, available. I have also heard that the Escape accounting features are useful and thorough. I have not had any experience with the accounting side of Escapia.

Cons
One of the things that have been most frustrating about Escapia is the Owner web feature, which is supposed to provide an owner portal where our property owners can log in and see property details, upcoming reservations, owner documents, etc. Owner web itself is pretty limited, which is fine if that's what you want. One problem is that as of now owners cannot reset their password, and so they always have to contact us if they forget it so that we can change it for them. Another challenge has been that many of our owners own more than one property and that for accounting purposes each of these units has to be set up with different owners. That means that when one of those owners logs into the owner portal they can only see one of their properties unless they set up separate logins for each property, which includes separate email addresses. But then those email addresses will automatically be where their owner statements are sent, so if they want all the owner's statements to go to one email, they will have to forward them. We do not want to make our owners jump through hoops like this. We want their experience to be as simple and streamlined as possible. Escapia also lacks some features (such as automated emails, simpler reports, better filters for sending a guest communication, and the ability to add attachments to that communication) that would make the software more functional. I have also heard from our maintenance and housekeeping teams that Escapia is challenging for them to understand and use as they would like to. Basically, we've ended up using other software and strategies to fill in the gaps and give us the features we want, which is a little disappointing considering the seeming hugeness and complexity of Escapia.

Response from HomeAway Software

Hi Bethany,
We apologize for the delay in response. We are continuously working on new features and enhancements and your Client Solutions Manager will be happy to share those with you. Please contact us at HomeAwaySoftware@homeaway.com and use the title of ¿Related to Capterra¿ if you would like. It sounds like you already take advantage of our training, support, and other resources, but we would love to show you what other tools we have that might be helpful for you and your team.
HomeAway Software

Hayley Pletcher

Best Overall Management Software

Reviewed 2017-06-27

It makes the ease of making reservation easy for our staff overall and the guests have less wait time on the phone while making a reservation. The ease of adjusting rents and creating rate rules allows for more revenue at the end of each year without any mistakes.

Pros
So many great things to say it is hard to know where to start. It is so easy to keep track of what is being completed where and by who. Always time stamps with names on holds, reservations, payments, refunds as well as email correspondence. The visual calendar is another added bonus because it gives a great overall picture of each home and dates that are and are not available so filing spots is very easy. The quick quote feature is fabulous as you can pick a home in the drop down menu and apply any filter and discounts that you already have up to any home easily. Web based is a very huge bonus because you are able to view any information on any device no matter where you are. The software also links up to many other sites so linking and sharing homes and rates is as easy as clicking a button and everything feeds right over. The quick search button at the top makes it very easy to find reservations that are valid or cancelled without having to use many steps.

Cons
When adding some new charges they can be hard to track if you are not 100% sure which report that you should be running to find them. Processing revenue can be difficult at some times when guests are in house and reservations crossover between months. This is mostly because if you need to adjust a reservation and revenue has already been processed it can cause some errors with commissions. Just have to be extra aware of what you are doing to not make any mistakes.

Joy Maples

Absolutely Over the Top Pleased with Escapia by HomeAway!

Reviewed 2014-10-20

I made the decision that Escapia would suit our needs best (in Feb of 2014).The integration is very detailed, but I knew what the end goal was when I had researched Escapia. One determining factor in going with Escapia, was the fact that HomeAway was so active and aggressive in this industry. It only made sense to partner with the Giant and take advantage of all the opportunities it would offer my company. The things that I consider absolute PROS: They have automated all the tedious/time consuming processes such as rate building & yield management that I would spend days and hours on with our old software & now I do in about 30 minutes. I have the option of building my own rules & rate tiers, depending on our need to maximize occupancy & revenue. After my initial rules are built, I do not have to go in and spend 2 hours a day to make sure this is done..Escapia made it simple & it DOES the work for me. My saved time = revenue saved and made because I can now focus on new projects to produce new revenue streams. Escapia also has so many opportunities to partner with multiple booking sites, that I have "new eyes" looking and finding my company every hour of every day. For our marketing platform, I struggle with tracking and integrating between the time we developed a concept ->to putting it on our sites -> to launching the promotion(via any platform) ->to analytics->to eCommerce->to complete tracking. With our old software, it took sometimes a week to set all of that up from start to finish. With Escapia, I do it all at once, Again, so many saved hours and best of all ACCURATE Tracking and Conversion Reports & a websites that do what they are supposed to do: WORK. They have support that answer and listen to the issue and most of the time walk you thru it and find the problem immediately and "teach" you how to address and fix it. That is worth the integration itself. You have to do the work on the front end but after that it is pretty painless & we have more than made back the cost of the software in saved time, revenue, happy guests, our favorite: HAPPY OWNERS. The owner access is simple, easy & our owners are more than pleased with this aspect of Escapia & they have noticed the new and maximized exposure Escapia gives us. I can say without hesitation, I made THE BEST choice for our company and could not be more pleased and my expectations have been blown away by Escapia and what it gives me.

Katie Zachariades

Integration for Small Business

Reviewed 2019-12-16

Pros
One of the main reasons we chose Escapia was for its easy integration with third parties so we can maximize how we use the software - it hasn't disappointed.

Cons
Not enough reporting options for owners - I would like reports that show number of nights rented vs. owner use nights, revenue lost for owner use nights, and reports that put all of this info together in one place. Also, lately the tech support has been hit or miss with response time and ability to answer my questions.

Bethany Surrett

Love Escapia, excited for their new software

Reviewed 2019-08-22

I have loved my experience with Escapia and VRBO! They have wonderful customer service and this software is very easy to use.

Pros
I have so many great things to say about Escapia. My number one is customer support. If you can't figure something out immediately, give them a call and it will be fixed within minutes. We manage 70 vacation rental properties and use Escapia for pictures, descriptions, rates, everything! We recently attended one of their meetings where they announced they will be launching a new, more updated Escapia to combine their other softwares as well. I am very excited!

Cons
Sometimes it will go out for a while, but they do always have it back up and running in a timely manner. There's nothing to say I like the least because they are always willing to fix anything.

Anonymous

Very Strong System, But Outdated and Clunky

Reviewed 2019-10-23

Overall our experience with Escapia (separate from Expedia or Homeowner) has been positive. The support and staff are great, though it feels like we have to call support for just about everything. It gets the job done solidly, but is seriously lacking in efficiency and design.

Pros
The booking engine is strong and it is a well-established software. It never goes down and always performs its core functionalities. It has API connections with every supplier that we need. It also has trust accounting.

Cons
It is old and dated with very few updates in the last four years. The reporting and rate engines are frustrating to use and it has a number of oddities that make training and using difficult. The lack of connection to Airbnb is also a serious issue along with the "Price Consitency" rules from Vrbo.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Alexandra Mowrey

Perfect for vacation rental management companies small to large!

Reviewed 2019-04-03

I have used Escapia or V12 at several companies for more than 8 years and I think once you learn the basics, it is very easy to become a master user, and I keep finding new features and reports that are really helpful!

Pros
The 3 best features of Escapia are 1. they are always updating and adding new features to be current with trends and needs of property manager. 2. They have absolutely the best support team of any software I have used to date. 3. The seamless integration with VRBO/HomeAway is unmatched with any other program!

Cons
The upfront cost is steep especially given how many other web based programs charge per unit and not a huge upfront commitment. And the aesthetic of the site to me, is not very appealing and seems out of date.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Patricia Boerem

Cadillac product

Reviewed 2019-12-18

I don't think I even utilized every possible feature. It's a great product, but we just could not afford it.

Pros
Escapia was very powerful. It could do many things for our business. Also, support was outstanding.

Cons
It was just too expensive for us as we are a small vacation rental company.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

suzanne temple

Best software out there for Property Managers

Reviewed 2018-12-05

WE are very proud to be a part of the Escapia partnership with their software we have experienced tremendous growth year over year. By providing an excellent product we can spend more time on the things that matter.

Pros
Throughout the years our staff has worked with Barefoot, Property Plus and Property Boss. Escapia by far is the best choice for us. We like the grid view and the ease of reporting as well as the high level of support given by the customer service staff and account relations. If you advertise on HomeAway websites like VRBO the integration is seamless and easy. Great group of innovative individuals who are constantly trying to improve the software and stay ahead of the competitors

Cons
Sometimes there are a few too many steps to get things done, but when you provide feedback to the support staff they will work to improve things. We really feel like partners with with Escapia team.

Michael Valeo

Great product, full of features

Reviewed 2019-03-19

Great customer service. Very robust feature list. I couldn't possibly manage our rental list without a strong piece of software like Escapia.

Pros
Escapia really is a full-service solution. Reservations, housekeeping, trust accounting...it's all in there and works together. I looked at several options before choosing Escapia and none of the others offered as complete a system. Also, they have amazing customer service. Tech support is great. They respond quickly and are very knowledgable.

Cons
The biggest complaint I have isn't about Escapia, but about HomeAway. When HomeAway switched to secure messaging, it made it more difficult to deal with inquiries in Escapia. Also, there are of course some minor changes I'd like them to make to Escapia, but they are constantly improving it.

Gary Taylor

We've built our whole company using Escapia. The sales and tech support teams are incredible.

Reviewed 2017-11-02

Pros
Easy to use. Good owner statement and reporting features. Grid based inventory. Support questions are immediately addressed.

Cons
We need the ability to send correspondence from multiple email addresses. There should be a separate email address drop down menu box for each office, or for each unit somewhere in the set up. It's an odd feature to be missing, because everything else about every unit and office is customizable (the correspondence documents, the booking modules, the rate plans and the unit setup. It would be so great if each unit could be assigned to a "send from" email address so that confirmations and statements came from that email, or from the reservations agent in charge of managing that property.

Karrie Lasater

Escapia is by far the best software I have ever used!!

Reviewed 2016-11-08

I have nothing but positive things to say about Escapia software. It is the best!! They are constantly making it better by doing upgrades and adding features to an already great platform! This software has great functionality and is easy to use. It integrates with our website so our guests can see live availability calendars. The automatic payment processing along with some many other features are huge time savers. The customer support is phananominal! I always get a live person who is knowledgeable and can quickly help me solve what ever challenge I am having! They always follow-up to make sure everything is working correctly and to be sure the resolution is working. I highly recommend Escapia! You will be happy you converted to it! I know we are!!

Pros
Easy of use and Customer Support

Cons
I can'tell think of anything I don't like.

Pamela Specker

Great integrative tool for property managers, it has allowed me to professionalize business systems.

Reviewed 2018-04-03

All business information in one place.

Pros
There is a lot to learn at first and there was good training classes. Most beneficial is knowing there is customer support to support you with any issues and you can get that support right away. They are also helpful in customizing to meet our needs. It also becomes intuitive as time goes on. I love how it's integrated with HA/VRBO and Glad as well as other network partners, it makes my life easier.

Cons
Some limitations within correspondence templates. I wish there were ways to make the templates more professional, there are a lot of moving pieces within templates and I haven't found out how to lock in a template design.

Brittany Garger

Easy, efficient, and well worth the investment. We have been on for over 4 years now!

Reviewed 2018-02-27

Pros
Easy to use, constant updates with details/advanced notice and how-tos, many....MANY reports from which to choose. Great marketing API feeds for listing sites/software to help you succeed in the vacation rental space, color-coded reservation grid for easy filtering and tracking.

Cons
The ability for Homeaway/VRBO brand to match back reservations on source - I pay for a secure software. The last thing I want is my data being stored, shared, and who knows what else by marketing platforms. While the reports are fantastic, sometimes it'd be nice to have the ability to make your own report that didn't cost an arm and a leg for information that's already in the system.

Shawn Spiezio

Escapia Keeps Getting Better

Reviewed 2016-11-08

The Escapia/HomeAway team has a great group of individuals that I believe truly care for the future and well being of our company as well as other property management companies. Escapia offers a great training program for new employees as well as ongoing support and training for existing users. Every facet of the software is being constantly improved. Reservationists enjoy the grid's flexibility and functionality. Housekeepers love the Housekeeping dashboard. The use of automatic payments and contracts have been gamechangers in saving time and improving efficiency. Overall, I'm not sure if you will find a better rental management software and team behind it for the money. We love it.

Pros
Yield managment, training, uservoice, automatic payments

Cons
Still think there's room for improvement on the service order side.

Melissa Spence

Great investment for this small vacation rental company.

Reviewed 2017-12-19

Increased online exposure

Pros
The software is easy to use and has met the needs of our small rental office. We enjoy the self paced online tutorials for training new staff members. We are glad they have streamlined the Glad to Have you product directly into Escapia. They are always working to make the program better & more efficient.

Cons
These are very few but are mainly with the support staff. Recently called in and received 3 different answers on how to fix an accounting issue. When it comes to more complex accounting issues, a possible suggestion would be to send callers to more experienced staff verses having them speak to the "new" person.

Hayley Pletcher

Great Software

Reviewed 2016-11-08

Like the new features that are constantly being added to the software, constantly making each function more efficient. Another great things is that it directly feeds into other 3rd party websites so rates are photos are always up to date. The visual planner is perfect for managing many homes all at once with a quick scroll. I definitely recommend Escapia if you are looking for a user friendly easy to use software.

Pros
It is very secure with passwords needing to be changed often and security questions. The new automatic payments tool is a great feature. Very user friendly and make it easy to navigate. Great for managing many homes and never having a double book problem.

Cons
Having to custom build some reports to be run

Karen Bobe

Rental Software that allows me to grow my business

Reviewed 2016-11-08

I have been in the vacation rental industry for over 15 years and have been using Escapia for the last four years. A few of the reasons I am pleased with Escapia are: it is cloud based, extremely user friendly, integrates well with 3rd party channels, has built in auto responder to inquiries & auto sign contract capability, has great maintenance and housekeeping portals, and most importantly fantastic support. Another huge item to me is Escapia continually develops new ways to not only improve the product, but it truly focuses on ways their product can help my business grow. Hands down, best rental software I have ever used!

Pros
Ease of use, housekeeping and maintenance portals

Cons
A few minor glitches occasionally, but they are always on top of it!

Crystal Murphy

Vacation Management Made Easy!

Reviewed 2018-06-25

Pros
This software makes it super easy to manage properties from adding them onto a program to renting the units on a weekly basis. It is very user friendly once you have everything set up. It puts the reservation process, owner management, and accounting into one system to make it easy to manage.

Cons
The training was my least favorite thing about Escapia. It was difficult to get everything set up and going and learning how to manage everything, but the trainers worked with us for hours on the phone to get everything set up correctly. The support staff was always willing to assist.

Emily Vandall

If we leave Escapia, I quit.

Reviewed 2016-11-09

The software is incredible. Support is a-ma-zing. Our Client Solutions Manager is possibly the most responsive person I've met in my whole life. Hands-down, my favorite thing about Escapia is that THEY are never satisfied with where they are. Any question I have or suggestion for improving functionality is taken seriously. I have never worked with any software (in this industry or any other) that is so in tune to what their clients want. I've told our business owner, "If we change software, I quit."

Pros
Escapia is never happy with the status quo. They listen to clients and make sure the software grows with our needs.

Cons
Check in! It's not functional. We go off-book and use a Google Spreadsheet. It has a long way to go.

thomas lane

Great support & value. Could update some functionalities

Reviewed 2016-11-10

The flat rate per property is very fair and much cheaper than other PM softwares that charge a percentage per booking (LiveRez). The system is relatively easy to use but could really benefit users and increase efficiency if they updated some functionalities such as custom filtering for reports (rather than having a set amount of pre-made reports and switching the photo function to drag placement ordering rather than drop-down box number ordering. Escapia is very receptive to new ideas which you can submit through User voice. Their support staff is exceptional.

Pros
Lots of functionalities and seamless integration with crucial partner sites such as homeaway, vrbo, GTHY and point central

Cons
some parts of it could use updating

Gail Ctosby

I’m not liking the changes Homeaway has made

Reviewed 2019-03-01

I have a good account manager that helps me through the changes they make, and that has made my decision to continue to list with them easier. They used to be a lot more “ vacation manager friendly”. I prefer to stay with the subscription model vs the PP, and feel like since they changed I haven’t been getting as good of booking results.

Pros
The reach that Homeaway /Escapia has is undeniably huge. I like that they have established a bridge or portal with my software company, so I only have to enter the listing info once.

Cons
I really dislike the way they have changed their business platform from a marketing platform to a booking platform.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Anonymous

Great software that provides efficient property management

Reviewed 2017-10-05

they are well integrated within the hospitality industry and have multiple software options for smaller companies.

Pros
I like the features that it provides and the customer support (rep) that we receive. I like the maintenance app, the housekeeping dashboard, new owner portal, online university and dynamic pricing model that is in process (beta currently).

Cons
At our size, some of the more customizable items that we want are not able to be created. the housekeeping app (shared with maintenance), is not as user friendly as the dashboard, however, the dashboard can be accessed online via a website.