Vrbo Logo

3.7

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend8.06/10

Reviews by rating

I love the map feature that will enable you to mark off an area and see what is available. With filters like "Hot tub," "Pet friendly," and more, you find the perfect place every time.
Love how you can overview future trips and what places you are going too. For those who like organization.
Last time I called with them was 2.5 hours on my vacation, before I could log in. It is ridiculous and especially frustrating, when you have urgent things to do.
Lately i had the worst experience every from the staff and especially from supervisor.

Louisa C.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Vrbo has made vacation bookings for busy college students a breeze!

I love using Vrbo to book trips for my friends and I, and I look forward to using this platform even after I graduate college!

Pros

As a college student who frequently uses Vrbo to book group vacations for my friends and I, I cannot say enough good things about this platform. Vrbo is easy to use, has features to sort searches in an infinite amount of ways to find your best vacation fit, and makes it simple to share your trips with others.

Cons

What I like least about Vrbo is its inability to make a group booking and enable costs to be split amongst members of the same booking right from the application.

Kimberly W.

Hospitality, self-employed

Personal Use over Business

Pros

It's a bit cheaper than any other STR platform I've searched. The owners of homes seem more laid back.

Cons

The screenings for repetitive guests who mess things up is almost negligent.

TM

Tom M.

Marketing and Advertising, self-employed

NO Recourse for Poor Terrible Properties

Pros

Prices seemed resonable.Location was great.

Cons

Homes are not what you purchase for rental. The last home we rented was a mess with cockroaches , worn out furniture, leaking plumbing, old worn out sheets, electrical issues. Took us four days to clean up problems with property management people.

JJ

Jennifer J.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

VRBO has stood the test of time

Overall, VRBO has been a blessing to our business and we wouldn't want to operate without them. I hope that they continue improving the app but the desktop version is great.

Pros

VRBO is trustworthy and a name people know and recognize. It's pretty user friendly.

Cons

I do find the app to be less wonderful than the desktop version and I wish that was being improved.

Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

Booking Platform

If you optimize the verbiage of your listing to make it full proof so VRBO has to stand by your side it mostly works

Pros

This is a highly used booking platform where I receive a good portion of my guests. I like that I can edit and manage the content.

Cons

VRBO only integrates with booking.com if you use instant book. Instant book has never worked out for me.

KE

Kerry E.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees

n/a

Pros

Easy for guests to book and the Intergration is easy

Cons

Host payments being monthly and monthly invoicing.

Dina M.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Not the easiest STR platform to work with

Pros

Receive a good portion of our rentals through VRBO.

Cons

Integration process is the worst of any rental platform.

OO

Omar O.

Government Administration, 5,001-10,000 employees

Would not bother, use Airbnb instead

During my time with an active listing I received nothing but spam messages. Also there is no way to screen guest.

Pros

Able to easily integrate my calendar with Airbnb.

Cons

Almost everything. I use Airbnb regularly and compared to that platform this software is lacking in usability and traffic by potential guest.

LR

Lynn R.

Mental Health Care, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

VRBO rental

Pros

Ease of use and the amount of properties to choose from.

Cons

Sometimes what the owner placed as photos are not true to the property.

HF

Heather F.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Keep looking

Excessive emails and then lack of follow-up

Pros

Ease of use to book a trip. It was nice to be able to do this.

Cons

The actual product/service. It was difficult to find something that would work.

CB

Callie B.

Hospitality, 1-10 employees

Great Platform!

I enjoy this platform, it's one of my favorites and I use MANY. I do not sync any of my calendars with any other platforms. If I were to try out syncing my calendars, I'd start with Vrbo. I trust their team and believe they would give the host support when needed.

Pros

I like the ease and the ability to screen. I really like the report spam option when people are clearly trying to scam. I also like Vrbo's Host Support compared to other platforms I use.

Cons

I have multiple listings and multiple condos under one listing, I would love to see some management tools to help manage reservations, requests and inquiries. I'm not a fan of the 24 hour time limit on the clock once a request is sent. I feel as long as the host is communicating with the guest, more time should be given. I understand guests should have a timely response if you can host them but sometimes more time is needed. Many times I've had to decline a request and shortly after the dates become available. Having multiple listings and multiple properties under each listing availability changes quite often.

CC

Carly C.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

Great opportunity to market rental properties but expensive for Owners and Renters to use!

Our experience overall is good. We have been a premier partner with Vrbo for about 8 years now so they have helped to grow our small vacation rental business from 3 properties to 100+ properties thanks to Vrbo's online exposure.

Pros

Vrbo is a great way for us to market our 100+ rental properties as it is among the larges online resource to do so. Paired with our VRM software we are able to seamlessly display all our properties listings on Vrbo and renters can booked directly on their site in real time and new bookings are then displayed in our software calendar. Easy peasy.

Cons

Use of Vrbo is expensive for Property Owners & renters as well. As Owners we pay $499 annual subscription fee and then every renter who books pays a service fee to Vrbo which ends up being a hefty percentage of their booking total. Vrbo used to cap this amount to the renter but they have since done away with that and we've now seen some service fees as much as almost $1000 to the renter for ONE STAY!

Ján s.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Doesn't work, support extremely unhelpful

You need to block 2 hours of your day every time you want to log in to Vrbo.

Pros

I like the number of bookings they are able to generate from US customers.

Cons

Too bad you cannot use the platform, because the double opt in doesn't let you in the app most of the time. You are literally stuck at the login screen, they force double opt in on you, you ask for a password via text message, the message never comes (my phone is working though, as I receive messages from Google, Facebook, Airbnb, Booking.com, Stripe etc., just not Vrbo). After the message doesn't...

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Beware of VRBO! Terrible customer service!

Seems after looking at all the VRBO reviews I am preaching to the choir, but DO NOT EVER book with VRBO. They are an an AirBnb wanna be and never will be. Their customer service is horrible! Always someone working from overseas that I can barely understand. Half the time they drop the call (i believe on purpose). I booked a trip through thorugh VRBO instead of AirBnb simply because I could not find...

Pros

There is honestly nothing good I can say about my experience with VRBO

Cons

Everything especially the customer service

MB

Mickey B.

Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees

Which OTA should I have to run a STR?

VRBO is a good OTA to use for STRs. It keeps everything simple.

Pros

VRBO brings a great booking experience to guests looking for accommodations. We use a channel manager that intergrates with other OTA's and the software is easy to use.

Cons

Ranking Metrics doesn't display some of the information correctly. Maybe because we are using a PMS software.

mm

mariglen m.

Hospitality, 11-50 employees

worst experience

Pros

vrbo or home away it used to be a very useful app and we always had support from the team and they were the best but not anymore. lately i had the worst experience every from the staff and especially from supervisor.

MB

Melanie B.

Hospitality, 51-200 employees

Best VR Marketplace

Overall Vrbo brings in qualified rental bookings.

Pros

For the types of Vacation Rentals we manage, Vrbo is the best third party booking channel. I like that they provide the guest's true contact information, and not a "fake email" address like Airbnb. They also do not act as a "middle man" between you and the guest, and rather let us communicate directly with the guest.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I do not like about Vrbo.

IA

Isaac A.

Architecture & Planning, 201-500 employees

Finding a temporary home away from everyday life thanks to Vrbo

After my first approach to Vrbo after a while I used it again to find suitable accommodations for the members of my construction team, so using Vrbo I was able to easily search and book vacation rentals that met our needs for space, location and budget., since this platform provided me with detailed information and accurate photos of the properties, which allowed us to make informed decisions and find the best place for summer vacations. In summary, my overall experience was positive, as Vrbo made the whole process of planning and finding trips easy for me and allowed us to find comfortable and convenient stays during business trips.

Pros

When I was on vacation I had the opportunity to stay in a room provided by Airbnb, looking through this application I found that said accommodation was provided by Vrbo so I researched this tool and its positive points are: firstly, its wide range of properties in destinations around the world since it offers an impressive variety of options to choose from, in addition to that the platform is easy to use and offers advanced filters that allow you to refine the search according to individual needs and preferences and finally, the detailed information of each property, accompanied by photographs and opinions from other users, gave me a clear and precise vision of what to expect.

Cons

However, there was a problem when using it and that was that sometimes the availability of certain properties was not updated in real time, which could have led me to situations in which a property appears as available but is actually already reserved.

Ld

Liz d.

Investment Management, self-employed

Used monthly for 2+ years

Not what they used to be

Benefits? Hahaha surely you jest. You will see a downtrend in reviews at the Better Business Bureau and other independent websites.

Pros

They used to be a cut above and have better properties. Not pros anymore.

Cons

I cancelled a booking well over a month before the full refund cut off. I had email confirmation of the request to cancel. As the website did not cancel, I called. They told me there was nothing they could do, I had to contact the property manager as only they could cancel. I had already made multiple attempts to contact the property manager to no avail. I was billed in full and fought it, successfully as I had the receipts, through my credit card company. Also my last stay with them, the property was scuzzy and the management bad. I thought it was an outlier until my cancellation failure. I had used them for over 15 years prior, never again. I have never had this type of issue with AirBnB.

HC

Heather C.

Real Estate, 1-10 employees

Good value for the annual fee

VRBO is easy to work with and allows us to bring in additional revenue.

Pros

VRBO allows us to capture additional reservations from guests who may not have found us otherwise.

Cons

Guests seem to not be clear on VRBO service fees including travel insurance and damage insurance. VRBO should not offer those additional items as we offer them to the guest after they reserve.

CW

Chris W.

Writing and Editing, self-employed

Haven for scammers

Huge waste of time. Twice scammed - two years apart. On the first I got my money back, second time is pending and a huge hassle I should not have to deal with this company any longer.

Pros

The only thing good about VRBO is you can try to get your money back through Expedia but it will be a hassle

Cons

VRBO is a haven for scammers they do not vet their properties well. People post fake listings with pictures grabbed from other sites and VRBO allows it. There are simple steps that they could take to verify real listing but the don’t do it. Stay away.

HS

Hector S.

Grat rental app

Pros

It is a very complete rental app, you can book your listings and manage them without a problem.

Cons

I wish the demand was the same as in airbnb.

MS

Mary S.

Religious Institutions, self-employed

Used monthly for less than 6 months

SCAMMED, and left with paying for it.

We went to London and rented a flat for 3 days. When we arrived we learned someone had put our rental on VRBO, but it was a fake location. We actually met the [sensitive content hidden] of the flat who lived full time in her apartment. It was a scam! VRBO refunded our money.While homeless in London, with high tourism, Pride and Wimbledon beginning, hotel rooms were limited.I called 4 times to VRBO...

Pros

Easy to use. Good options. We had a really horrible experience in London,UK. VRBO customer service did not help us in the moment. We had to wait till we were home, by then we paid 3xs more for a hotel room than the property we rented which turned out to be a scam. VRBO didn't very the owner to make sure it was truly a rental property.

Cons

Customer service only partially helpful.

MA

Mike A.

Public Safety, self-employed

Terrible customer service

Our experience was terrible. I would not recommend VRBO or Regal Palms Managed by Grand Welcome

Pros

Nothing positive to say I would not use them again.

Cons

We had to cancel our vacation due to our son requiring brain surgery. We sent VBR a letter from the surgeon as well as grand regal Palms, where we were staying and did not receive a refund from either if you use either one of these companies, read the fine print and get third-party travel insurance. .

Katie L.

Education Management, 51-200 employees

Vrbo is Winning!!

Pros

Vrbo allows users to utilize specific filters to find the perfect vacation spot! I love the map feature that will enable you to mark off an area and see what is available. With filters like "Hot tub," "Pet friendly," and more, you find the perfect place every time!

Cons

Before I understood how to use the Board feature, I would struggle with remembering which locations I liked. Since using the Board feature, I have been able to create Boards featuring my favorite picks! Then I can share the Board with my husband, so he can see exactly what properties I like.