Benevity Logo

Suggested alternatives

everyaction
little-green-light
exceed-beyond

My daughter did a fundraiser through school and we were able to make our donation online through Benevity to take advantage of the donation matching, which overall doubled the funds raised.
Good for Charitable Matching Campaigns and Encouraging Employee Philanthropy.
Difficult processes that also seem to conflict.
This company isn't even located in the US. It is very suspicious to me.

IT

Ida T.

Benevity - Blessings

What a blessing to all!

Pros

We've been on the receiving end of Benevity - and have been blessed by donations. Our donors like giving anonymously and their donations have made a big difference. They like that it was simple for them just to pick a cause that they wanted to support and Benevity does all the work for them. With automatic payroll deductions - they take how much you want to donate and send it where you want it to go. It's as simple as that

Cons

The only thing that we didn't like was not being able to thank the people that donated to us but that what the donor likes about Benevity that their donation is anonymous. So it's a win - win.

SC

Sara C.

Food & Beverages, 10,001+ employees

Used other for less than 6 months

Good for Charitable Matching Campaigns and Encouraging Employee Philanthropy

We wanted a better way to manage our company matching for employee charitable contributions and Benevity was the answer. It provides consistency in determining the criteria for a qualifying donation, visibility for the employee on how much they have contributed throughout the year and visibility on when their match has been paid. Overall, the experience has been great from both my perspective as an HR stakeholder and as an employee user.

Pros

Last year, we starting using the Benevity platform as a platform to formalize our charitable giving match program where the company matches up a certain dollar amount of an employees donations to eligible nonprofits. While I was not directly involved in the rollout of the program, I saw the impact of moving to this platform over our previous tracking methods and this was much better. Additionally, as a user of the platform to document my donations and receive the company match, I found Benevity to be very user friendly. It was clear what I needed to do and easy to see when the company match had been completed.

Cons

No personal complaints for this software. When employees had issues with the website, there was nothing we could do to troubleshoot from an HR or IT perspective so we had to refer them to work directly with support at Benevity. Fortunately, this was not a frequent occurrence.

JS

Jillian S.

Education Management, 1-10 employees

I don't understand why American companies use this organization

Pros

Nothing. They are useless. They have not released our money after over a month, almost 2 months. We are small school in Puerto Rico in desperate need of funds. We have a small amount that was donated to us in Benevity and they refuse to release the funds to us. Their customer services is non-existant.

Cons

They have held our donations and have not been responsive to our requests for release. We had one bank account and we opened another bank account just so we could get our funds released. $10,000 was donated to our small school in Puerto Rico. We desperately need this money and Benevity will not release our money to us. This company isn't even located in the US. It is very suspicious to me.

ST

Sofi T.

Entertainment, 5,001-10,000 employees

Questionable service

Pros

I'm not sure if there's much to say about this

Cons

Funds disbursement to charity takes a long time and they keep delaying the promised disbursement date without an explanation. There also is not a way to track on the UI on fund arrival date. Frankly, it feels a bit shady that they're just sitting on the funds, and especially given the fees. Companies are better off using an alternative service.

IT

Ivy T.

Financial Services, 10,001+ employees

So easy

It is easy to navigate and I tend to teach my friends how to log their volunteering time.

Pros

I like that Benevity connects the company and its employees to various nonprofits that are vetted in the system. It makes it so easy to set up volunteering events in the system and organize fun volunteering events for employee engagement.

Cons

I don't like that you can't delete volunteering hours in the system if you mess up.

vd

van de weerdt c.

Education Management, 10,001+ employees

All-in-one digital platform to engage our community and keep track of our all our giving and volunte

Alaya helps us equip our students with the experiences and tools to become socially aware and responsible citizens, and leaders as they enter their professional lives. With Alaya, wehave a readily availabletool to empower each of them to contributeto their communities and the world.

Pros

Alaya provides guidance to improve our employee volunteering program. The support provided by the team in preparation for the launch was fantastic – from guides to templates to responsiveness, Alaya’scustomer support made such a difference!

Cons

We were hoping to invite our friends and family members on the platform, but it’s accessible only using our university credentials. However, we will be able to invite them to the volunteering activities.

SA

Sue A.

Great for Volunteering

Pros

I currently use Benevity at my current employer to explore opportunities for volunteering inside and outside the company and to manage my donations to non-profits. The system is easy to use to be matched to events in my area. I can easily sign up and receive emails of any notifications. After the volunteer event is completed, i can receive credit for it.

Cons

The only con i experieced was that the search feature is only by region (US, Europe, etc) instead of by City or County.

Matthew P.

Defense & Space, 10,001+ employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

My friend [sensitive content hidden] defeated cancer

My friend [sensitive content hidden] defeated cancer, and ran this year's Chicago Marathon to raise money to help others in their own cancer battles. She had a great race [sensitive content hidden] , and I'm proud of her!In August she let me know that she was raising money for the American Cancer Society. I was happy to help.IF I had decided to contribute to her on-line web page, it would have taken...

Pros

Nothing. There isn't anything redeeming about using Benevity vs direct contribution.

Cons

Can't seem to track donation; no confidence that the funds went to the charity that I specified.

JL

Jeff L.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Searching for charities doesn't work!

Frustration. After deleting existing charities (added using a previous app, for a previous home location, which transferred fine to Benevity) I was unable to add new charities I wanted to add. For example, change Habitat For Humanity from my old city to my current one.

Pros

Clear recordkeeping. I could see what payments were sent, and what payments are scheduled.

Cons

Searching for a charity I know exists is fruitless. The search feature is completely useless.

FY

Frances Y.

Human Resources, 201-500 employees

User friendly tool

Pros

User interface is simple and easy to use. Helps you to keep track of volunteer hours.

Cons

I can't think of any cons at this moment.

Research, 1-10 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Ponzi scheme, monopoly not sure what Benevity is....

Benevity is dysfunctional at doing its very job just issuing funds. I am not even sure how the actual console works but I doubt it be any good based on the customer service. They are soo inconsistent with the distribution of funds, this literally seems like a Ponzi scheme. Meaning I dont think this company makes any revenue from the actual console, but simply spends money thats supposed to go to charites.

Pros

That is a tool to receive matches and contributions.

Cons

Almost everything about the company is mediocre at best...the ceiling is the floor. After several years of dealing with this company nothing is consistent. It seems to be a poorly run company. I am not even sure if they are the only company in there industry, but they need some competition. I wouldn't be shocked if someone is going to prison from Benevity at some point.

JR

Jennifer R.

Nonprofit Organization Management, 1-10 employees

Do no use this for fundraising

Pros

You have the ability to have donations sent via a direct project.

Cons

There is zero direct support and you money sits in their accounts for months without being distributed. Do no use this for any project with any kind of timeline. You will be left holding the bill while Benevity holds your funds for months on end despite your donors sending receipts form their gifts.confirmijg funds are ready and available to be sent.

JM

James M.

Benevity saves time!

Overall we had a great experience with Benevity. There was nothing we would change.

Pros

We love that our donors are able to use Benevity as their third-party funds processing platform. It is easy to log into and pull reports! Funds are sent in a timely manner!

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. There are people ready to help when there is a problem and the process is fast and simple for our donations to be processed with Benevity!!

DF

Debbie F.

No customer support

We had issues with being able to access reports on donations. A request for support said we would receive help in a few days (a week now and no reply). We had a pretty simple request - update login information and/or provide a report on a donation. Probably works fine unless you need assistance - then you are out of luck.

Pros

The ability to receive matching funds for donations

Cons

There was a lack of support for simple questions.

CD

Chrystelle D.

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Used other for 6-12 months

A great way to help in different ways

I wanted to volunteer for quite some time, doing more than just giving money to charity but actually dedicating time to help others. I found out about Alaya thanks to my employer about a year ago and we have done 3 activities with my team so far and I'm about to start a long-term activity on my own for a non-profit. I can only recommend Alaya!!

Pros

Easy to use, to track your commitment, the possibility to do it with colleagues helps as together it's a lot more fun and easier to get motivated. Easy to find different types of activities, not only going to the field if you don't have much time but also helping organizations with translations or marketing from the comfort of my couch :)

Cons

Nothing special, only a great experience so far

TR

Taya R.

Media Production, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 2+ years

Donation has never been received through them.

Unpleasant

Pros

No pros at all. Only cons. Not satisfied. Looks like a scam.

Cons

Inexperienced staff, lack of support. Our organization have been approved for funding and supposed to receive it through Benevity. Benevity mentioned funds has been successfully deposited to our account, but we have never received the funds. We escalated the case, and their team have no idea where funds went and where they deposited them. Did they steal our funds?

CH

Chamry H.

Used monthly for 2+ years

Easiest way to work with employer donations and volunteer matching

Pros

Through my secondary employer I'm able to make donations or track my volunteer experiences to give even more back to the community. My daughter did a fundraiser through school and we were able to make our donation online through Benevity to take advantage of the donation matching, which overall doubled the funds raised!

Cons

I have no negative experience with the software so far. It's very easy to use and charitable organizations have connections with Benevity built right in already.

VN

Vicky N.

Consumer Goods, 10,001+ employees

Used monthly for 6-12 months

Très décevant

J’attends un retour de leur service client depuis des semaines, ils ne répondent ni à mes mails ni à mes appels.

Pros

L’application est visuelle mais le service client gâche l’expérience utilisateur

Cons

Le service client est inexistant. Ils enlèvent des associations de leur plateforme sans prévenir malgré le fait que nous ayons fait des dons et ne rendent pas l’argent (qu’ils ont encaissé) malgré de très nombreuses relances. Cela est immoral et interdit par la loi.

Showing original review in French. See translation

EC

Earle C.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, self-employed

Used other for 1-2 years

Total waste of time

It simply does not do what it is advertised to do. Looks like a scam.

Pros

Very slick, gives the impression of professionalism.

Cons

Time sink, does not perform as advertised.

MM

Miranda M.

Benevity

Benevity is a fine platform. It does what it needs to and isn't difficult to work with.

Pros

This is a great software for online giving and employer matching. It is relatively easy to use and runs really clean reports.

Cons

There aren't really strong cons to Benevity, it really only runs simple functions. It collects the money and then gives us a report. I guess the worst part about it is that it takes a portion of the donations we get, but that is pretty typical in the industry.

VZ

Vittoria Z.

Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

Un service support consternant

Pros

Je n'apprécie aucun aspect. Le service est déplorable.

Cons

le service support est désorganisé, incohérent dans ses demandes et par conséquent chronophage.

Showing original review in French. See translation

CL

Cat L.

Legal Services, 1-10 employees

Great for tracking donations

Pros

Easy to use, and keeps track of donations and company matching.

Cons

Sometimes the reports are a bit confusing in what details they provide you, but you can figure it out.

aM

angelita M.

Executive Office, 1-10 employees

Unhapppy non profit

Pros

Nothing i can not get a hold of anyone and we are due donations from months ago.

Cons

Can not talk to any customer service . Donations are missing. Can not update EFT.

AT

Abbot T.

Overpriced and inconvenient

They send us other people's money, that's it.

Pros

They collect payroll and matching donations from several large companies. That's it, the only good thing about them. Everything else is crappy - the software, the lag time, the fees, the staff, the support.

Cons

pricey

Education Management, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for 1-2 years

Tricky to get it up and running

Pros

I like the organized manner in which it keeps track of donor activity and the dashboard is organized and easy to follow and make sense of.

Cons

It was extremely difficult to set up and customer service was lacking. Also, I wish it gave us more regular updates than it does- often, there is a gift sitting in the system and we're not notified until we receive a monthly disbursement notification.