"Calamari is great~"

Dorota Jaworska

Calamari is great~

Reviewed 2019-08-21

I'm very happy with it.

Pros
Easy to use Very clear design Very helpful people

Cons
Still missing some features but I know it will finally happen

Calamari

Modern HR, online leave and attendance tracking

4.68/5 (310 reviews)

Avishkar Panday, CA(SA)

Effective timesheet and leave management - we have a very happy HR Department!

Reviewed 2017-11-16

My review pretty much covers it. Resource planning in the Calendar view. Monitoring leave applications and clock in locations. My HR Managers now have confidence in the timesheet information as they can review it in real time and not just at month end.

Pros
We have decentralized operations, and our managers and HR love being able to see presence and location statuses of our employees in real time, and at a high level. The Calendar function in the leave module allows for great oversight and enables more efficient resource management and allocation. The time-sheet and leave reports available are robust and we love the download to excel feature, this perfect tabular format allows for deeper dives on trends, pivot tables etc within Excel. It really is simple to use for employees and managers. The app keeps things simple to enable clocking in/out and applying for leave. Really just very easy to navigate, after training our managers, no one has had to come back to us on how to navigate the system. There are several clock in methods which allows for flexibility, eg smartphone clock-in, QR scans, and browser check-ins. I must also commend the support team for providing excellent back-end support for our administrators! Keep up the great work and service

Cons
A few improvements could be made, such as allowing for attachment uploads from a smartphone for leave applications and for locations to be tagged when clocking in with a QR code.

Jay Canavan

Excellent HR Management tool

Reviewed 2020-03-24

On the few occasions that we have required support or assistance they have been extremely attentive both through the live chat feature and over emails. We've received 5 star service at every turn. Our thanks go to their team for being so responsive.

Pros
We use Calamari for a range of HR activities. The most useful features that we use on a daily basis include: 1. Absence Requests: Employees are able to request paid time off / vacations / unpaid leave etc in a formal and structured manner. The approval process is easy to calibrate and set up for managers. Provides an easy process where documentation can be added to support requests (such as medical leave notes). 2. Calendar feature: When payroll exceptions need to be considered, the calendar feature is an easy way to make any adjustments that need to be made. It also enables you to plan for staggering of vacations for employees inside the same department. 3. Employees: Easy to create a database of all employees where information from starting dates, salary etc. can be recorded and quickly accessed. 4. Reports: Functional and and easy to prepare using this feature.

Cons
As far as the requirements of our business go, Calamari offers all the necessary features (and additional ones) that we need. We have no complaints regarding the software that have come up in the time we have been using it.

Kamila Wyrwas

Calamari really helped

Reviewed 2019-07-30

Overall, Calamari definitely did help our HR team to save tons of time spent on monitoring the leaves manually. What is more, our team members can see their history and current leave status live. We can surely see the difference using Calamari brought to our business.

Pros
Very user friendly interface encourages our team members to use Calamari regularly. The tool is also very simple to use so all in-house communication is strengtened because of that. The Success team writes back within minutes and helps with literally everything so the communication between us/ our team and Calamari is great.

Cons
There are still some HR-friendly feautres to add. For now we find that Calamari is more intuitive for team members rather than Administrators. For example, the ability to see the history of different kind of contracts and calculate the leaves accordingly, or setting reminders about medical check-ups and OHS is something we still hope to see.

Hallie Godfrey

Customer Support is Amazing

Reviewed 2020-02-06

We use it for hour tracking for our part time workers and the annual leave module for our full time workers

Pros
Working with my rep is so easy and has been the selling point on this platform.

Cons
It's almost over simplified sometimes.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

JIMz .

the sign-up system is faulty, and no one cares in "support"

Used occasionally for free trial
Reviewed 2017-08-20

Cons
i signed up. received the email, followed the link and only get a green screen asking you to "wait for a while". and after a few HOURS ( you get it right, hours ), that so-called "while" is still there. refresh / quit browser do no help. same link goes to same screen with same words. i received the mail at 0100, tried it on 0300, get the same result. so i contacted them via the webform. i checked back on 0700. my mailbox got nothing - not even a acknowledgement of receiving my email, and surely nothing about why the while is still staying. and yes - same signup link still goes to the same page with the same words. i'm still hopeful, so tried again on 1900 on the same day. now the best part arrived - the same link i tried said "my license expired and my account is blocked". so, what Calamari suggesting, is that my signup license is "looking at their green screen and wait for a while" - but hey, i haven't looked at that for 14 days yet, why have my license expired SO SOON??? is Calamari a hoax for getting my email? the other "positive" reviewers sound SO TRUE, i just can't tell how can that be. i'm not suggesting fake accounts with fake reviews, but i doubt for this kind of performance and stability, how can i handle the attendance / leave management thing of my whole company to it ?

Likelihood to recommend: 1/10

Shawn Vale

Great Value Remote Time Management Software

Reviewed 2019-07-29

I enjoyed it and will continue to use it.

Pros
Great value for the money, easy to learn, easy to manage

Cons
Could use more functionality, such as "batch editing" of employees so that I can select 10 employees at once and edit them all to the same "schedule"

Izabela Szutko

How Calamari makes our work easier

Reviewed 2019-07-31

We've been using Calamari for 4 months now. It's easier to plan work and manage absences since then.

Pros
Calamari has everything you need to manage attendance efficiently. 1. Fisrt of all you can configure it according to your needs. For example I have created 13 approval flows for leave requests. Other solutions I'd tried before Calamari allowed me to create up to 4. During the whole set-up process I had an impression it was custom made. Unbelievable. 2. When you see absence calendar of all employees it is so much easier to plan work 3. You can add as many types of absences as you need 4. It is possible to integrate it with Jira - our Project Managers just love it! It makes their work much easier 5. There's a mobile app. 6. Reports - essential for payroll team, the board and HR 7. Calamari Team - fantastic and very helpful professionals 8. The price! Great value for money

Cons
I can't think of any cons at the moment.

Shannon Cox

They thought of everything!

Reviewed 2020-01-29

The Calamari team walked us through every step, answered ever question, and were super personable. Great customer service and the software is truly amazing and easy to use.

Pros
We are a smaller company so we don't have what you would call "Standard" requirements for time off requests. However, Calamari has thought of everything and the little details and options to edit the limits on the requests is amazing! It's also super easy to use.

Cons
We haven't run across any dislikes yet. Just a learning curve going from our old system to our new system. However, the HR Reports are super helpful!

Sarah Grech

So easy to use and accessible!

Reviewed 2020-01-14

Very positive and very efficient.

Pros
All our staff are enjoying the how easy it has begun to notify management of leave and sick leave and how instant everything is!

Cons
Daily notifications of who is absent from office are not categorized by absence type eg: sick leave or vacation leave should be mentioned near the name of the absentee.

Sam Gilbert

Very good software

Reviewed 2020-02-19

very good, highly recommend

Pros
very easy to set up and automates the process of managing annual leave / remote work / birthdays. Very convenient and simple way for employees to request leave and for managers to sign it off. Also works well the integration with slack / teams / email so easy for people to stay in the loop

Cons
I don't have any complaints about the software

Jessica Bernard

Great Service!

Reviewed 2018-12-05

Pros
I like that I don't have to think about it much, love the Slack integrations for my team and how easy it was to transition from our old process into Calamari. It's simple, clear, and for a small team it has everything I need. The customer support team has always responded promptly when I need anything, and we were even able to extend our trial period in the beginning and converted to a paying customer shortly after.

Cons
So the most annoying thing, and this is a small issue, is not being able to select a range of dates on the calendar by clicking on the days themselves. Again, it's a small thing, but it's something I'm used to in other situations, and so I frequently make the mistake of forgetting it's not possible on Calamari. I suppose the other thing is that it's not always immediately clear how to make use of some of the finer features, and so I simply haven't been bothered to find out if they're even there. For example, I spent a little while searching once for whether we could only make it possible for employees to request annual leave in the future if they will have accrued it by the specified date (and not just if they have already accrued it, if that makes sense), but it wasn't obvious how to do so or even if it were possible, so I just kind of left it. These relatively minor complications are the kind of thing that someone in a rush will just leave in the moment, because they've more important things to do, but will be annoying over time.

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Kat Jordan

Offer great policy integration

Reviewed 2019-07-29

Pros
We could build in our leave policies so that Calamari enforces the rules automatically (e.g., who is eligible to take school visitation leave, awarding some leave annually and some by days worked, different minimum durations for different leave types, etc). It offers very granular control over the setup, and is very intuitive and smooth once setup.

Cons
The downside of having such detailed control options is the steep learning curve in the implementation process. Fortunately, the customer support staff are great and really helpful with figuring everything out. I'd like Calamari to implement an "edit" feature for approved leave requests, which would be more convenient than cancelling and resubmitting.

Anonymous

absence management and clock in/clock out were never so easy

Reviewed 2018-02-07

Super easy leave management and clock in/clock out (using beacon).

Pros
It's a new way of absence & leave management. You can plan and track all types of vacation, paid time off, sickness and you can do it without old, annoying paper forms. You'r always few mouse clicks from your dreamed vacations ;) Another wery importand feature is clock in/clock out - it's super easy to use especially with bluetooth beacons support. Place a token in your office reception and install/configure calamari app on our phone. That's all! You can forget about clockin in/out ever again. It will by done automaticaly when you enter/leave your offiice. If you don't want to use beacons or when you'r work from home you can still clock in/out "manual" from mobile app. It's worth to mention that calamari has super helpfull customer service.

Cons
Beacon support for Android phone still need some fine-tunning compareing to iOS version. Except that - it's just perfect!

Camille Doany

Amazing HR app, saved me from having to hire HR professionals

Reviewed 2019-02-02

We were looking for an HR solution for an SME, and we selected this one. We set it up a little over two years ago, and have not really had any glitches since. Once a year, we program the vacations for the whole year, and it does the rest. Employees request leave through the app as well. I highly recommend this software for companies of similar size.

Pros
Manages employee hours, vacations, and sick days without a glitch. Also works great with iBeacon. I purchased and configured an iBeacon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019G0VS64/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and configured it to work with the free Calamari app on each employees mobile. The result is that the software could keep track of every employee the second they walk in, and their last exit from the office every day.

Cons
I have not really had anything that I didn't like. I had trouble deleting employees who left our company, but the support staff were very prompt, helpful, and friendly.

Response from CHROBRUS

Camille, Thank you for the feedback!

Brianna Jackson

User-Friendly, Affordable, and Customizable

Reviewed 2019-07-29

Our current HRIS/Payroll system doesn't properly accommodate our unique PTO policies, therefore we had to find an outside solution. Calamari has been wonderful. It was very easy to setup and we've had great adoption from our employees. They use the system every single day.

Pros
I really enjoy the ease of use and how the customization. We have unique time off policies and teleworking policies. The system can accommodate all type of policies.

Cons
The sync or integration with Google was a little challenging. We had to contact the support team a few times to get it fully integrated and working properly. However, the support team was responsive and helpful.

Mariusz Zyk

Great, easy and very helpful product! Now I can not imagine how we actually

Reviewed 2017-11-30

Pure market analysis

Pros
Calamari helps my company handle holidays. It allows me to easily control, monitor all absences and what is really helpful helps me to decide if I should accept holiday request, when someone in my team had requested and this request has been already accepted! That is the core functionality for me :) I really love integrations that Calamari provides me! At first: GSuite (by Google) - I do not have to worry about creating new accounts and I can see all of absences in my Google Calendar (this is my favorite) . Another huge integration is with Slack, which is main messenger in my company. I can just accept and decline requests without login in into Calamari! On the other hand I really like is Calamari support, those guys (especially Hubert) are fast as lightning, very thoughtful, proactive and they for sure will help you configure your instance. Communication with them is pleasure :) Once Calamari is configured is maintenance-free, and very very comfy!

Alannah Carr

Easiest Software to use

Reviewed 2016-12-12

I do enjoy using Calamari. It is easy to learn how to navigate around the system and all employees know how to use it with ease. It is very self explanatory, pleasant layout and I can adjust employees holiday settings or absence requests very quickly. Support is excellent and always available for me to contact him. I like the calendar which gives a simple but quick overview of my company whereabouts. It doesn't take much admin time to set up a new employee or archive an employee.

Pros
However, Kamil is a great help, very patient when I suddenly get called into a conference meeting and is always willing to support and understand your needs.

Cons
The only down side is that it only has holiday and absence on there and nothing else. It would be brilliant if Calamari explored the market and expanded the systems functionalities such as adding a performance management section, recruitment section and incorporated all HR jobs into one system.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Michelle Mahovlich

Simple, easy to use time management system!

Reviewed 2017-09-15

Simple to use software to easily manage schedules, PTO, and accruals.

Pros
We love Calamari! From new users who find the interface very simple to use from administrators who can customize teams, approval flows, weekly schedules, accruing PTO, and reporting, Calamari does it all! There are always new updates which we are loving and find them super easy to implement and make our experience even better. Highly recommend this product!

Cons
The only improvement that I would suggest would be to allow the employee list to be sorted by your preference. Such as the ability to put the last name first; Smith, John.

Response from CHROBRUS

Thanks, we really appreciate your feedback. Happy user is the greatest reward!

Anjula Malshan

Leave Management Made Easy

Reviewed 2019-08-01

Hassle-free leave and attendance management system with always smiling customer support team.

Pros
As a startup, I was looking for a perfect solution for leaves and attendance management. By using Calamari, you can approve your employee’s leaves from your fingertips. And every detail you need is available on their dashboard.

Cons
Having issues sometimes with the attendance management as the beacon system doesn't work with us well yet. Hopefully, they will fix it in future as I have faith in them.

Silvie C.

Calamari - a great tool

Reviewed 2019-02-22

We are using calamari for about a year and are happy for this switch to paperless mainly for the reasons mentioned in the Pros section and also to be able to have all data in one place. In overall, a great tool!

Pros
We like that calamari syncs with Slack and the Google calendar, which gives the whole team a good overview of who´s at the conference, on vacation, working remotely etc. Also, the approval system is easy for managers as they can approve or reject requests via slack. The tool is easy to use and intuitive. I´d like to point out the super fast, friendly and excellent technical support team, namely reps who are always happy to help :-)

Cons
Sometimes downloading reports at the end of the month is slow.

Saul Fernandez

It is great, but cost model is not so great

Reviewed 2019-07-30

My overall experience is great. It accomplish what promises and has help us a lot. By the other hand, we are still working in finding solutions with a non user/cost model.

Pros
- Easy of use - Interface - Functionalities

Cons
- Price (do not like user/license model because if you are in the limit of users and you have a flexible number of employees it is a pain in the ass to pay more if you are going to have more than 50 only for several months and you want to pay for the whole year subscription). - Lack of customising (if you have very concrete situations, you do not have too much freedom to customize)

Likelihood to recommend: 6/10

Francesca Ruggero

Useful feature and prompt customer care support

Reviewed 2019-05-27

We can precisely track the working hours and each employee can organize his/her time. We use it for holidays, home office, working hours, special holidays requests.

Pros
It covers many fuctions and it is flexible in case of special working hours conditions or special holidays requests. We use it for example for the normal holidays as well as for home office, unpaid holidays, sickness of the child of an employee, spcial days off due to a master or a course, etc.

Cons
If a contract of a employee changes during his period at our company (for example from a 40 hours contract to a 32 hours one), it is difficult to modify the terms in Calamari. It is possible though, so it is still fine.

Likelihood to recommend: 8/10

Ulf Gabel

We are happy with our decision for Calamari as our Absence Management tool

Reviewed 2017-07-19

It improved absence management and leave transparency significantly

Pros
Calamari is easy to implement, administrate and use. The customer support and the flexibility of the team is outstanding. The tools is feature rich but clean in design. New features and improvements are added on a regular basis and the roadmap is made transparent. Integrations to google, slack or other tools are in built. Customizing to specific needs is possible. Calamari increased management and transparency on absence/leaves significantly.

Cons
Nothing in specific. If something was missing or did not work as intended we always found a quick solution

Response from CHROBRUS

Thanks Ulf! We love to work with Mindcurv :)

Anja Vizjak

Calamari is very easy to use, is transparent and our employees love this software.

Reviewed 2018-03-13

Pros
Transparency, choice between different groups and the approval flows. Easily adding new employees to the system and editing employee data. Easy transfer of data into excel tables. Modeling the types of absences is very easy and transparent. Everyone is equally accessible. We like the quick response of the Calamari Group!! We recommend this software to all types of companies!

Cons
The price could be slightly more optimal, otherwise it is OK. We would like to have a chance to insert collective holidays, to put all employees in the calendar at the same time. However, the Calamari group always helps.

Response from CHROBRUS

Thank you Anja for a great review!

Aaron Yap

A very user friendly system, for both young and old

Reviewed 2017-08-08

Smoother HR in leave application and approval and also reduction of paperwork and head count in HR.

Pros
Calamari is an easy to use HR system, with easy and simple setup for any organisation. It convenient and easy to access as it is a web-based system. The system can cater for both local and international organisation with option to customize according to the country's holiday requirements.

Cons
They still lack in their mobile application but they are improving with each update. They have bug fixes off and on but their customer service are swift to tackle the bugs in the software.

Response from CHROBRUS

Hey Aaron! It has been great to work with you. Thanks to your suggestion. We are in touch! Ewelina