CompensationXL Reviews

4.75/5 (24 reviews)

Rebekah Alexander

Drastically cut down transaction time; New reports function invaluable

Reviewed 2016-02-24
Review Source: Software Advice

This is my second compensation year using CompXL. After the initial year of implementation, the software cut down my year-end compensation process drastically. In previous years, I would be at the office until 10pm every night for weeks on end and would be meticulously searching for file linkage errors and missed updates. The worst part about distributing Excel files to each of your department leaders individually is how difficult it is to keep track of minor tweaks and adjustments made throughout the inevitable iterations of the compensation process. The software is completely customized to my own uniquely complicated incentive compensation structure at my firm, which I would not be able to find anywhere else to this great of detail. My biggest qualms with the software in the first year was the lack of reporting/filtering capabilities. They have updated that this year and the reporting functionality is literally invaluable. While it might take a less tech-savvy person a while to get the hang of the configuration of reports, for someone like me (who can manipulate excel from an intermediate to advanced level), the new reports allow me the perfect amount of autonomy to configure as many complex reports as I'd like. My CEO requires 30+ reports a year, so semi-automating this process was crucial. This has made my life so much easier that the biggest issue is me being LESS meticulous and detail-oriented because I trust the program more.

Kathy Shell

Flexible software, responsive team to work with

Used other for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-11-06

We implemented the software as a temporary solution last year while we determine if/when we'll implement a full HCM that includes compensation. It replaced a system that was extremely difficult to use, lacked flexibility, and took 4-5 hours to refresh reports with a significantly manual process. CompXL gave us exactly what we needed at a reasonable price. This was our first attempt at implementing a common system worldwide and we were able to meet almost all expectations for each of our operating companies and come to agreement on a single configuration solution when necessary. The interface was easy for most managers to use given that it's very Excel-like. The ability to change the hierarchy helps when we have people moving around. The reporting runs in seconds and is up to the minute with changes that have been entered. My only complaint is that the software runs slowly when using the online version of the workbook and when refreshing pages/moving between pages in the application. The flexibility of the software to do most of what we needed. We were able to customize the reporting so our award approval process is very quick to complete. In addition, the customer service received from our account rep was always very timely and informative.

Kathy L

Great Product/Great Service

Reviewed 2016-08-11

This has been a very positive experience for my company. I was looking for a tool that would eliminate the manual slicing & dicing of spreadsheets and CompXL was able to provide a product to accomplish this. This tool is now sued for several different processes (Performance Management Ratings, Bonus, Merit) down to providing communication statements to employees for incentives and increases. The support we receive is outstanding. Matt is extremely flexible and supportive of our needs. If you are looking for ways to streamline processes for annual cycles and you cannot afford to purchase other more expensive systems, then this is a great option. Affordable and easy to use.Ease of use.

Tricia Eusebio

CompXL is a Lifesaver

Reviewed 2018-12-18

We went to the CompXL team with very little time to implement this program for use during the annual compensation process. The team assured me that they could have this up in running with plenty of time to test and implement. The team was completely right about the implementation. We were successful that year that we stayed another two years after the initial implementation. I would suggest this software to any company that needs a simple system, low cost, and fully supported. Great system!* The software was very simplistic and easy for our manager population to complete a Compensation process * If there were kinks or fixes to be made, we got immediate service to get issues resolved * Programmers were very knowledgeable of the software and very responsive * The program was easy to implement in a limited time

Michael Miles

OUtstanding

Reviewed 2018-08-17

Great overall experience. Prior to CompXL we had a very labor intensive process using excel files that would be altered by users causing significant administration issues. CompXL provided a framework and functionality to control the data and user interface eliminating the ability for users to to alter sheets. Great product. We use excel to a great extent and CompXL allows to leverage excel to manage our compensation information and processes in a very effective customized solution for compensation management.

Myra Diaz

Why we have been a client for so long

Reviewed 2018-11-01

Our business model has changed throughout the years, and this product adapts and continues to provide the functionality we need. It has been a very positive experience for our organization. I highly recommend it.It is very user friendly as well as flexible. We have great support and customer service experience. We have seen this platform grow through the years only to keep becoming better and better. Our organization has multiple uses for this product and it fits our current needs like a glove.

MARY JO SMITH

Customer from 2009 to 2015 with former company and implemented with new employer.

Reviewed 2017-07-03

Ease of use for managers and administrators, several report options, data dump very useful for administrators when reviewing overall increase information, and pdf statement printing.

Deanna Sebring

Very easy to use, real-time updates makes it easy to adjust tool based on business needs

Reviewed 2015-12-07

Overall, I really like the compensation tool and would recommend to others. Last year we used the tool for salary and bonus planning and this year we've added our Long Term Incentive planning to the tool. Ideally, I wish we would have synced up the data elements between the two planning periods for ease of using the same fields, nomenclature to allow for easier reporting, but I'll know that for next year. We are about to launch our 2nd year of salary/bonus planning and I am looking forward to working with this tool again. If you have an excel savvy HR Admin, then you can make most changes you need right in the tool. However, HCR can always make any adjustments you need in the event you're on a time crunch or don't have the technical skills to update on your own. I like the flexibility of who can control the tool and display of the spreadsheets. I would recommend knowing the process and the flow you want for approvals and what is displayed on communications and discuss with your Representative so that you can effectively map out your needs to avoid any re-work or duplicative effort. The customer service level provided is excellent and very responsive, I couldn't have asked for a better Technical Lead than who we have.

Jacquie Kinimaka-Hettinger

AMAZING Customer Service & Client Support

Reviewed 2018-10-31

Our Client Support is absolutely outstanding! Very fast responses and always a solution during those times of year where time is of the essence! It is extremely flexible. The system can meet very specific business needs and requirements

Michael Hunter

Consultant's review of CompXL

Used other for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2018-10-30

My overall experience is positive with the software. Even when I have a difficult time figuring something out, the support folks with whom I have dealt have been very helpful and friendly, so I don't hesitate to reach out with questions. Customer support, who has been my contact lately, has been great.It is very easy for our users to understand and employ.

Stacy Hodes

Our merit increase and bonus processing was streamlined and managers found it easy to use.

Reviewed 2015-12-09

Pros - CompXL is an excel-based tool that our managers found intuitive when setting merit pay or processing bonus payouts and our compensation team could easily aggregate and load into our HRIS. Cons - Separate stand alone tool. We have used the tool for over 7 years with excellent technical support and beneficial enhancements that kept pace with our compensation needs.

Jill Rea

Great software for salary planning!

Reviewed 2018-11-02

Great experienceWe have used the software for 4 yrs now for salary planning and have found it to be really versatile and customizable. Their customer support is great.

Marsha Turner

Great customer support!

Reviewed 2016-12-01

This was my second year using CompensationXL and the staff supporting me at HCR is great. We use the software not only for year-end salary planning and awarding but for housing our complex global market structure as well. We haven't yet migrated to the most recent release and HCR continues to support us and help resolve whatever issues we faced this year which was mostly user error! When we needed something recorded or reprogrammed they got right on it and resolved the problem with haste. We haven't used CompensationXL to its fullest capability probably but whenever I called with challenges or issues, my reps were responsive, helpful and supported me in getting the job done. Even in the midst of Hurricane, my rep was on the phone with me concerned about my go-live the following week. Now THAT's customer service! I found the same level of service with my other rep my first year here and together they make a great team.

Sandy Berquist

OpenText Implementation of CompXL

Reviewed 2013-02-06

I'd recommend the solution for small-mid size companies and even larger companies that continue to rely on Excel based processing for ad hoc reviews/programs - as this solution can significantly reduce the efforts in cutting & consolidating workbooks - along with a secure process for uploading & downloading. Easy to use and well-supported from a customer support perspective make it a win. Quick implementation time, easy to support with few resources required, and greatly reduces the administrative effort. Snappy little tool that was well received by end users.

michelle Nachume

Best used by companies with more than 200 employees

Reviewed 2011-05-04

For HR and compensation teams of companies with 200 or more employees, CXL offers a lot of perks. The one I found most appealing was the personal service that comes with the software solution. For example, Davis says that when a company signs on, an HRC/CXL team member is assigned to them and will handle all of their needs. A company does not have to deal with multiple people – as might be the case with bigger compensation solution providers. Full review at http://www.getapp.com/blog/compensationxl-review-a-flexible-and-affordable-alternative-to-painful-compensation-processes/I was impressed with the fact that CXL will comport to the processes of the company rather than the other way around.

Melissa Acosta

Choose CompensationXL

Used other for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2018-10-31

CompensationXL is a great tool and I would recommend to anyone seeking an alternative to an HCM. CompensationXL is a great alternative to an HCM. It is highly configurable and intuitive, even for those Managers who aren't tech savvy.

Carrie Barth

Top-notch product & service!

Reviewed 2015-12-11

I had been looking for a product for years that could move our excel-based comp sheets online and my prayers were answered! CompXL has met all of our needs and quite frankly might be the most-exciting single product I use as an HR professional. It is relatively easy to use and meets all of our needs. Matt Davis has been awesome to work with and has provided top-notch customer service every single set of the way. He is always extremely responsive and there for me when I need him, and in particular when I need his support the most when deadlines are closing in. Great, great, product that I highly recommend!

Mark Adrian

Enables managers to make strategic pay and performance decisions

Reviewed 2015-12-11

My organization has used CompXL for our annual performance review since 2009. Application has tools empowering managers to make sound decisions regarding pay, performance and budget. Managers find CompXL easy to use and appreciate the analytical reports available to them with just a "click". We actually have managers eager to use CompXL each review cycle. Prior to CompXL the annual review process was a tedious paper pushing exercise -- now much more attention is focused on how to allocate review budget in a way which ties pay to performance.

Elissa Goldstein

Great Product, Easy to Implement and Even Easier to Use.

Reviewed 2016-02-17

CompXL saved our department hours of slicing and dicing spreadsheets, managing email approvals and workflow. Our end users found the system intuitive and easy to navigate. I appreciate the total flexibility of the system allowing us to utilize CompXL for many different and varied processes. The Implementation was fast and easy and customer support was superior.

Doris Sawyers

My overall experience in using this software has been very positive.

Reviewed 2015-12-11

The CompXL software is easy to use and can be configured to meet simple and complex requirements. The customer service aspect is also very good. Our representative is very responsive to our needs. I would not hesitate to recommend the CompXL software to other compensation/human resource professionals.

Nancy Villanueva-Estes

I wish I can give them more stars.

Reviewed 2016-11-30

The product is good but the customer service is amazing! Very responsive, Cindy and Mark can do whatever you ask them to do in a timely manner. We are very satisfied with the CompXL and the entire HCR Software team.

Jeffrey Surgent

Overall great value in salary planning tool

Reviewed 2015-12-14

We've been using CXL for 6 cycles now globally...very intuitive and flexible. Helped us clean up a messy process...planners troughout the organization really take to it...Great service, high recommend! Thanks HCR!

Paulette Grace

This will be the 4th year

Reviewed 2016-01-14

Excellent overall, easy to use as a spreadsheet. Matt and Travis are very helpful, accessible and knowledgeable. Reporting could use a bit of work to be more flexible in what you can run from the tool

David Meek

Excellent Product

Reviewed 2015-01-27

CompXL has been an excellent solution for our compensation administration process. The managers find it easy to use and HR finds it a huge improvement to the cumbersome process.