Gusto

Gusto makes payroll, benefits, & employee onboarding easy

visit website

Gusto Reviews - Page 2

3,080 reviews

Great HR Option for Small Businesses

As an owner/operator starting out, I ran into problems implementing other payroll systems for our company. Luckily I came across Gusto and got things up and running g fast. We’ve been using it ever since.

Pros

Easy on boarding and constantly communicating with our management staff has kept Gusto in its place of being our payroll management system for our employees.

Cons

It’s a little pricey, especially since we don’t use all of the available features but it’s a good system overall.

Great payroll service for the little guy

Gusto is doing a better job than my previous payroll company for less money. They seem to really care about their customers and their experience.

Pros

The payroll features make doing payroll very easy. The employees can log their times and I can easily verify them and sync it with payroll. I feel like this company really cares about their customers much more than my previous "large payroll provider"

Cons

Site navigation can be a little bit difficult at times. I have to do some searching to find what I am looking for. Reporting is OK but could be better.

The best online payroll provider I have ever used

Pros

Gusto is extremely simple and quick to configure, and speedy to run payrolls—even custom payrolls or additional payrolls—during the month. It has been an incredibly user-friendly and intuitive solution for someone not familiar with accounting or payroll processes.

Cons

I have had nothing but success with Gusto. No issues, no payroll processing problems, nothing. They pull funds Monday for Friday pay, which might be a long gap, but also offer a shorter payroll process, where you can pull funds Wednesday for Friday pay . . . I just haven't configured that shorter process yet.

We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning

I would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.

Pros

Easy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.

Cons

Really, only three minor complaints: I miss their old name, ZenPayroll. Gusto just doesn't explain them like ZenPayroll did. Payroll truly is easy with them. Gusto is literally defined as "the enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest"—the direct opposite of Zen. That's a total reversal that doesn't make sense. Also, deposits into employee accounts show up as Gusto rather than our company. Finally, accounting integration is dependent on downloading files and then importing. I would really like to see direct integration with the major accounting platforms like Quickbooks and Xero. I know, I'm nitpicking in both cases, but I had to think of something...

Gusto is a Great Payroll Option

My overall experience with Gusto has been very positive and they are a company who wants to support their customers. I have faith that they will sort out the customer service issues and that they are just a result of growing pains.

Pros

We have been with Gusto for a long time now and find it to be easy and intuitive to use. Employees are able to log in and access their information. Gusto is constantly adding new features and now allows for time tracking by project which is a feature offered by several of their competitors. It is possible to assign managers to approve employee hours without making them a full admin with access to salary info.

Cons

It is not possible to assign managers to contractors to approve hours which would be helpful. Also, they are experiencing severe growing pains. In the beginning, Gusto support was excellent, however, the response time has gone way up in recent months. They are currently taking 2-3 weeks to respond to many support questions. This is very frustrating and I have clients who have incurred state tax penalties while waiting on Gusto to reply. Their reps are not as knowledgeable as they were earlier either, probably due to having to increase their team so quickly.

Best platform for payroll, benefits & more

Overall it has been great to have everything in one place. Before we used Zenefits and Gusto and moved everything to Gusto. Its been a good move.

Pros

It simple to use and does everything we need to run the primary administrative tasks for our business.

Cons

The HSA feature did not move over seamlessly from Zenefits and is more expensive for a small team to have and the 401k option has been a bit of work to get moved over.

Customer service leaves you lacking

I would have gave them a 5 star rating a year ago, but their customer service as dropped to bottom tier in the past 12 months. The software is good but if you need help it is now next to impossible to get to help. I have discussed this with them on numerous occasions and it has only gotten worse. The problem is no matter how good the software is - if you need help with payroll, you need the help now. If you are skilled in all things payroll you should be ok.

Pros

It is easy to use and easy to implement. The self service reporting is OK and they are good at state filings.

Cons

If you have any sort of question or problem you will be waiting a good bit to find someone who can help you

Catches All

Having payroll done properly and also having insurance information right there is great. Service industry as a whole has no ins but I can give options that employees can get if they are interested on their own.

Pros

There is one thing that separates this from other payroll/HR...it catches everything. I don't have to offer ins but there is a lot of information availiable thru Gusto if I need it. However, child support orders also require insurance is availiable for the child. Servers job bounce and don't always mention court orders on the tax paper work. Gusto knows, Im not sure if it is specifically looked for because of an innovate idea that the child support order is for the child..per the law. Or the software properly scans the social and does the right thing. Gusto then provides the insurance options as well as reports job agency. As a divorced mom..I love this and everyone in in compliance.

Cons

Because of all the properly following the rules in court ordered garnishment for employees, I had a high turn over. Well more paperwork for me is the least? Ill take it. I now mention this little payroll feature at interview and thin it from there.

Easy to use payroll software

Gusto is fantastic - it's incredibly easy to use software to manage your payroll, get your employees paid and keep you legally compliant. For small businesses, you have to make sure that you pay your employees properly, that you withhold the right amount of taxes, that they earn overtime if their roles are entitled to it, that you file the right monthly and quarterly taxes with your state and the federal government. It's a lot to know. And Gusto manages all of that for you.

Pros

Gusto is so easy to use, it takes care of everything for you when it comes to payroll. Just connect a bank account, enter your business information, and you can start onboarding and paying employees. There are so many pieces to payroll - legal requirements, taxes, withholding, etc. - yet Gusto handles it all so incredibly simply and easily.

Cons

One complaint I had about Gusto was that when I was first using it, it did not have a good integration for 401ks, and the one they built with Guideline was not great, in my opinion.

Best option out there

Very positive.

Pros

We (BooksTime) are an accounting firm and work with many payroll solutions for many different businesses. Gusto is the most user-friendly of them all, by far. Plus, it has a modern, slick interface. And Gusto has a far better track record for consistent quality, compared to their biggest competitors.

Cons

More features would be nice. For example: ability to pay contractors in Puerto Rico, more employee dossier and evaluation features, etc. Also would be nice if each client had a dedicated support person, instead of a different contact for each new question/problem.

Former user, but returning soon because it just plain works

Using Gusto was smooth in terms of user interface and communication with customer support, beyond the issue I had with two payrolls primarily because I misunderstood a setting. I left Gusto for a competitor simply because of a unique deal, but have since decided to return to Gusto later this year.

Pros

Gusto just works, and the user interface is more intuitive than ADP's tools I had used before. The company also seems to be more aggressive than some competitors in integrating new services around the payroll management related to HR.

Cons

This feature has since been changed, and their user interface has changed since as well, so it should no longer be an issue: We had two separate payrolls that didn't pay out on time, and although they helped remedy the situation because of a setting issue, I was a bit disappointed that it was unclear to me what that setting described. At times, normally when competitors do sales, Gusto's pricing isn't as attractive for what is offered.

Great service!

The overall experience with Gusto has been great! We shopped around last December and got it right with Gusto. It would be hard to believe anyone out there could be the value that Gusto has.

Pros

This was exactly what we needed for our small company that just needed basic payroll. There is more functionality should we ever need it but the basic set up is a great price and covers our payroll needs.

Cons

There really are no downsides. The service is great at reminding to submit payroll and giving exact numbers to expect before submitting.

I LOVE Gusto! Gusto is pleasant to use and takes care of soo many things I don't want to worry about

1- Saves the headache of having no idea where to start with many accounting and HR functions of your business: No business owner actually enjoys worrying about all of those things. Gusto takes many of the functions that are most confusing/frustrating as a business owner and does them for you so you feel confidence that you aren't missing anything and it's done right. 2- Saves time: It automates many...

Pros

It's SIMPLE!!! One of few products/software I unequivocally love! Most every business owner hates doing tedious accounting, payroll and HR work that takes away valuable time from their being able to work on what's most important, their business. Gusto takes care of Federal tax payments, calculations, payroll setup, and a number of other things that are a black hole to me and makes it all feel manageable. If I want to add a new employee, I just click to set up a new employee and Gusto walks you and the employee step by step through everything that needs to be done. And for far cheaper than paying an accounting firm! I also love their playfulness and marketing. They make using their service truly a pleasure to use at every touchpoint.

Cons

I can't say this about many software that I use, but I have loved absolutely everything about Gusto. I can't say enough about it. Maybe my only complaint is that they don't take care of legal and other stuff I really dislike doing.

Simply the best

I've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.

Pros

Ease of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.

Cons

It's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.

Gusto is an ideal payroll service for smaller companies

This software save us processing time and the headaches of filing payroll tax returns and paying taxes. They prefer working with companies with up to 50 employees I think - really big payrolls will not be a good fit for Gusto.

Pros

Gusto technical support is excellent and the product is easy to use. As a cloud based payroll program it is easy to run payroll from anywhere at any time. I have had clients in different service based and non profit businesses on it for several years. The cost is reasonable and in fact the core program can save a great deal as compared with the big nationally recognized names. This company is also national and offers many employee benefits that the leaders offer. You can set payroll to run automatically if it is the same every time, and it syncs with Quickbooks Online online.

Cons

I sometimes have a little trouble customizing reports quickly and have not seen a way to save them for future use. But they do have a good selection of reports available. That includes being really proactive about PPP loan reports.

Surprisingly made me look forward to doing payroll every week.

This made our service industry payroll extremely easy to complete. Calculating tips and benefits was done quickly to save time! Highly recommend this software and this company! Their customer service team is also outstanding.

Pros

You can really tell that Gusto prides itself on its visuals and infotainment. The platform is extremely intuitive and pleasing to use, especially for those who might be new to payroll or not comfortable in the trenches of spreadsheets.

Cons

Gusto can be bogged down at times, I’ve had slight issues with on boarding information getting lost but customer service has always been quick to respond and assist.

Want to hug Gusto

Pros

I am a bookkeeper, but I hate payroll. Hate it! It's confusing, and there are a lot of regulations, and a lot of paperwork. Gusto's online system makes it more clear than any other system I've seen, and in fact, sometimes I use it to clean up messes that other payroll services have made. I haven't seen any errors yet for my clients, and when I call about something, I've always gotten a good and useful answer. Also handy to include contractor payments for small consulting firms. Employees and contractors like the online access to pay stubs and so on.

Cons

Some things are a little inflexible, due to it being a piece of software rather than a service. So, for example, you can't tell it to add $100 to someone's paycheck once a month for a transportation allowance. Rather, you have to do $50 each paycheck. This works fine if you do payroll monthly or bi-monthly, but if you're on a 2-week system, you end up adding it manually each time. Anyway, just a few issues like that. I think their contractor system is limited and a bit expensive - I would love to add a way to be clearer about invoice numbers and other memo/description issues.

Great, simple payroll

Overall Gusto is a great solution for a small, start up company with very basic payroll needs and no appetite for paying an expensive processing solution. Anyone comfortable using the internet can quickly get their people paid and Gusto makes it a breeze to stay compliant!

Pros

We pay payroll monthly and pay contractors weekly. Gusto made it very easy for me to provide the information I know -- how many hours worked and what the hourly rate is-- while Gusto takes care of the stuff I don't know (What to file with the gov't, how to withhold, how much to withhold, where to send the payments etc). I feel confident Gusto keeps my company compliant, and it's super easy to get my people paid.

Cons

Venturing beyond payroll and contractor payments, Gusto's features and expertise seems limited. They made workers' comp very easy and I'm glad for that. Their customer support has almost always helped me get to the right answer eventually but it feels hard to get hold of a real person and confirm they understand my question right away.

Payroll Software that cannot be beat!

Gusto payroll makes running payroll for my company very easy and hassle free. I am so glad that when I was reviewing payroll software I found gusto. I highly recommend it to anyone who is using other softwares.

Pros

I absolutely love gusto. I cannot say enough things about it. It was so easy to set up and even easier to use to run payroll. I love that there is an app for the employees where they can get alerts, set up their bank accounts, add bank accounts and then choose how much goes into each account. It gives them full control. Gusto handles all the payroll tax reporting so that is one less thing that I have to worry about. They have an excellent customer service staff who are readily available to help you should you need help.

Cons

This service does not have any cons. There is not one single thing that I can think of that I dislike about gusto.

Makes Payroll and Admin Easy

Great they do really good integrations with zappier and all the major services that work well with it.

Pros

This makes payroll and administration of the backend of the business easy. Helps us stay up on the latest changes in employment issues and filing for our business and contractors.

Cons

It runs too easily in the background. If you don't stay ontop of logging back in time to time you might miss updates and changes. They do a good job of keeping you in the loop of what's going on.

Review!

Gusto is reasonably priced and the customer service is EXCELLENT, especially compared to our old system. Everything about it is intuitive or clearly explained, answers are easy to find, and overall it's quick and very pleasant to use.

Pros

Gusto is so clean, simple, intuitive, and encouraging. They build in a workflow that is easy to understand and includes celebratory "You did it!" or "We'll take care of this next part!" tidbits. Customer service is quick and literally always solves the problem in a friendly, affable way. Plus it's affordable, and the little pig mascot is cute.

Cons

Nothing. Gusto is wonderful. I recommend this to everyone.

SOFTWARE

It has been a life saver. I hate doing payroll and they do all the work for us.

Pros

The ease in which we can enter and keep track of payroll issues.

Cons

Insurance issues need to be explored so that we have more to offer our employees.

Perfect if you're just starting out

Completely satisfied with Gusto from day one. Easy to set up, easy to run payroll every week, and they are connected to Guideline, so this year we are finally able to launch our own 401(k). For the price we pay, we are getting our money's worth, I think, for all the features and ease of use Gusto brings.

Pros

This was by far the easiest payroll system we could find when we started. Before this, we were doing everything manually and consuming a lot of time on paperwork for W2, reporting and all the other stuff we hate doing. My tax accountant turned me on to Gusto a few years ago and I set up my account and added employees within the hour. The steps are easy to understand, and there are tips and help offered along the way. For fees, Gusto is hard to beat. One of their competitors has some nice offerings, but we found that they were mostly for larger companies with more employees than we have. Gusto seemed a perfect fit for our size and our budget.

Cons

For us, it has been a positive experience since day one. It helps that we have a tax accountant who can help us navigate some of the trickier things. But even when she's not available, Gusto makes it pretty easy to figure out. Our tax accountant has some issues with Gusto's handling of some reports, but that's not anything I have had to deal with.

All that glitters is not Gusto (but it's still worth more than its weight in gold)

I like software that works, and it's hard to know what's going to work the best these days. With a plethora of payroll services out there, it's noteworthy that Gusto has made a place for itself, and it's seemingly done so by keeping itself easy to use with an elegant interface - in other words, it works where it counts. The drawbacks I've experienced are then not so much the fault of Gusto but of the saturation of the market: the more employers that use a single platform, the more useful it becomes. That is, I appreciate being able to easily check up on my prior employment details at the click of a button, but only 2 companies I've worked with have used Gusto.

Pros

Gusto is frankly easy to use, provided your needs are fairly straightforward and simple. For a competitive monthly subscription price, employers can automate up to 4 separate payrolls and isolate between employees and independent contractors. As an employee, it's convenient to have your employment history all in one place for later reference.

Cons

While some payroll software offers more features integrating shift tracking, time sheets, and scheduling (WhenIWork being one of the more ambitious in this quality, even featuring a chat as an interface to switch shifts), Gusto is fairly plain - or we could say minimalist if we're being nice. It's either catering to the simplest needs, or to companies with very specific kinds of complexities, such as the advertised onboarding/termination automation and organizing of benefits. For many small businesses, however woefully to the employees, this is irrelevant.

Details that make difference...

What a shame for the defects. After all I appreciate the design and the quick management. But, when you need a good program for manage by your own Many and many people, you deserve a great attenction by the software you bought

Pros

I can explain my own experience with that software. It s a real up-to-date system , the best description I can use to explain Gusto is like an “Accounting social network”. Indeed, you can track everything of the life circle of the employer since his first step in the Company, and follow him situation about payroll, day off, accrued holidays, debts, down payment, time of entrance, exit or desease. Every page has its history for each person you want discuss about. Really helpful to paint an employer picture, even for a future recommendation letter for example, or for an employers cut, how to choose the most problematic person.

Cons

But..to be honest, let s start to talk about what makes Gusto the software I won t never choose again. First step: you can t test the software. No free trial. Let s buy it with blind eyes and it requests time to be improved, as well no good infoes shown . Second : bad bad bad and please help me to say bad assistance, terrible or inexistent. Plus, with that price, u can get some better software. Just has to check for it.