Sapling Reviews

Sapling

Onboarding and HRIS platform for mid-sized companies

4.71/5 (230 reviews)

Brittany Gabriel

Review of Sapling

Reviewed 2018-10-06

Pros
I liked that i was able to use sapling not only on my computer but on my phone as well. It helps being in the field and still able to check in with each different team in different channels

Cons
One complaint I have, and i also just signed up for the service so i could be doing something wrong, but one complaint would be the notifications, once i click onto the messages that i received the notification from, the number don't always go away

Response from Sapling Technologies

Congrats on the new role and we truly appreciate your feedback. We are always looking to improve our product.

In regards to tasks, once you complete them, they should be marked as completed immediately. We looked into this and as soon as the assignee completes the task, Sapling removes it from either the pending or overdue states and moves it over to the complete state. If you encounter this again, please reach out to us at help@trysapling.com.

Cristina Polanco

Great Concept

Reviewed 2019-10-29

Sapling is a great tool to ensure a new hire is all set on their first day, when it works properly.

Pros
I like that new hires are able to complete essential information before their start date so they don't have to spend time on their first day completing their tax form and I-9. Also, managers are able to fill in information about their need hire, like software needs, and IT can view and work with that info.

Cons
Inconsistency. Sometimes the program works as needed, sometimes it doesn't and there's no way of telling unless the new hire contacts you before their first day letting you know that they're having tech issues. Also, if an email is scheduled to go out a few days in the future, there's no way to edit or make changes to the scheduled email once you've onboarded the new hire.

Ariell Cranor

My Experience with Sapling

Reviewed 2019-08-01

I would say that Sapling has helped to bridge the gap within our company - a gap formed due to us being so far spread and unable to talk and get to know one another. To be able to read each other's bios, see each other's photos, and know each other's birthdays really helps bring us closer together!

Pros
I think it is an awesome idea! What a great, modern way to connect with coworkers and get to know each other better - especially considering the employees from my company are spread all over the country. I think the calendar with everyone's birthday is amazing! Of course, the time off and tasks are just added bonuses in my opinion!

Cons
My only critique is that I can't see how much PTO I have available. I can only see scheduled paid days off that are coming up. That may be due to my company though, I'm not sure.

Anonymous

Super easy to receive and complete tasks. I don't like how often I get signed out though.

Reviewed 2018-07-13

I know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing any any given time during our work week. Particularly helpful when onboarding to a new company.

Pros
Everything is simply labeled and easy to find. Menus are minimal in length so I can find stuff, the colors are not garish, the work flows are intuitive.

Cons
I get logged out after some minuscule amount of time. Sometimes I get massive amounts of lag in between screens, which is frustrating and I over-click

Response from Sapling Technologies

We value your feedback and thank you for taking the time. We are glad to hear that Sapling has provided you with a source of truth to ensure you are successful with your day to day flow.

In regards to the logout issue, we had a release that allows for this setting to be updated on the company level. Previously, after being idle for a few minutes the system would log you out for security purposes. But this should no longer be an issue.

Yasmin Mohamed

My on boarding process is a lot quicker and much more organized!

Reviewed 2018-02-21

Pros
I love the many features that Sapling has to offer. My onboarding process has become so much faster and much more organized. I'd say my favorite part about this software would be how everything is generated automatically. I can schedule the welcome email to be sent out on an exact day and time and have team members sign documents all at once. Also my Sapling representative has been super helpful and patient every step of the way, can't thank him and his team enough!

Response from Sapling Technologies

Hi Yasmin! We are thrilled to hear that Sapling has provided you with the tools necessary to automate your onboarding process. Our team focuses on ensuring that all the companies we have a partnership with are successful and it sounds like that is the case here. Thank you again for this feedback.

Jason Hanlon

Sapling has been a great bridge between our ATS (Lever) and our payroll HRIS system (Namely).

Reviewed 2018-07-18

Pros
Set-up, integration and maintenance is very simple and intuitive. The support team is very responsive.

Cons
I wish they integrated with Gmail to route messages through your actual email inbox as some other software does (Lever, for instance). I also wish they utilized DocuSign rather than EchoSign for the eSignature feature. It's a bit more robust and easy to use.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for these insights Jason. We are happy to hear that this partnership has been successful in ensuring that all your programs speak to one another to combine all the moving pieces.

Currently, we use Sapling¿s e-signaturing iFrame through HelloSign. We had a release a few months back that allows you to customize and automate your documents by adding custom tokens. We'd love to hear what other functionalities you are looking for to explore them.

Super Easy On-Boarding Experience

Used occasionally for free trial
Reviewed 2018-11-15

My overall experience was positive! First day on boarding can be a lot of new information to work through but this was very approachable and seamless.

Pros
I liked how easy it was to navigate Sapling, I used it to start my on boarding at a new job. The interface and functionality was super easy to understand, I found it easy to go through each task and complete them.

Cons
This is minor, but when exploring to find my team I constantly had to click "see more team members" to load more people, maybe a scroll or some other type of way to load this info might be helpful? I found myself clicking this button 4-5+ times and eventually moved on.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to write a such a detailed review.

It's great to hear what you like best about Sapling and how Sapling has provided you with the tools necessary to ensure a that you are first day.

We truly appreciate you also proving us with suggestions based on your user experience. This type of feedback is essential to ensure we we can improve our platform.

Alice Liu

easy to use, smooth clean interface

Reviewed 2018-07-13

Pros
It seems pretty flexible. My HR organized the info needed into logical sections. The documents I needed to review were obvious. Progress was obvious and visible. I like that on the dashboard, the # of tasks I still need to complete is prominent.

Cons
Wish I could save the work in an incomplete section, so that even if I didn't fill out required fields, I can come back later and continue where I left off.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to review us! I know this can be time consuming and frustrating and can see why this would add big value to the preboarding experience.

Our design team is working hard to make the necessary changes to ensure the process is as smooth as possible. Having information automatically saved, is one of their end goals.

Wendy Quach

The support is extremely helpful as they genuinely strive to provide quality experience and solution

Reviewed 2018-02-21

Streamlined and reduced manual work through automation and integration.

Pros
The software streamlined our processes and reduced manual work through integrations and automation. The org chart also met our needs through the printable PDF feature for the leaders of the company.

Cons
When we started using Sapling, we ran into bugs and problematic nuances like any new technology; however, the software has transformed and grown significantly as Sapling always seek ways to improve.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that Sapling has been essential to ensuring that your processes are streamlined.

You are correct, in the last few months, we have made multiple changes to ensure that we are constantly improving our platform.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Nick George

It's been easy viewing my tasks and referencing my profile to see what my teammates names are

Reviewed 2018-07-17

It's made training and onboarding easy

Pros
It's laid out simply so it's easy to navigate to each area. I also love that I can see my entire team on here.

Cons
Sometimes it was difficult to find a task again if I accidentally marked a task as completed when it wasn't.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Congrats on the new role! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your insights. We are glad to hear that your onboarding and employee experience were enhanced by using Sapling.

We are always looking to make improvements where we can, so thank you for identifying your pain point with tasks. If you ever wanted to locate all completed tasks, you can do so by navigating over to the historical tasks and selecting on completed. This will provided you with an overview of all completed tasks.

Joao Fernandes

Great for Task and Onboarding

Reviewed 2018-07-20

Centralized platform to manage employees and assign tasks for onboarding

Pros
Easiness of use combined with the option to scale according to business needs. Sapling provides a great platform to ensure employees stay organized.

Cons
Sapling has its own limitations and does not support a variety of other onboarding features that might be available through other solutions. Still, I believe this to be the best option for usability

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are glad to hear that you found Sapling's interface intuitive. We are always looking to improve our platform and have new exciting releases upcoming. If you have any feature request, we'd love to hear about them.

Shawna Goode

Onboarding

Reviewed 2018-10-19

I had a great experience with Sapling, I wish all companies would use this software for the convenience of the on boarding process.

Pros
The software was easy to use, I liked that I could use it from home and also that it only too a few minutes to complete

Cons
Some pages took a while to load, I would have to refresh the page to gain a response. Everything else was a breeze.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Hi Shawna! Thank you for review and taking the time to share with us what worked for you and what we could improve on.

I wanted to provide you with an update regarding application performance, we have updated our release cycles to ensure you do not face this issue in the future.

Dale Thomas

Easy to use as a new employee

Reviewed 2018-07-12

Pros
I really enjoy the ease of use. The UI covers all of the needed assets in order to complete my work in a timely manner.

Cons
The one major issue I have is that Sapling logs me out far too quickly. I walk away from my desk for 5 minutes or so, and then I have to relog in.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for this feedback Dale and we hear you.

The reason you were logged out is because after being idle for more than 10 minutes, you're logged out for security purposes.

But good news, at the end of next month we will have a release that includes a setting option to change this timeframe. Note, this is a company setting that will have to be updated by your company.

Easy, organised

Reviewed 2018-02-15

Pros
- It keeps me organised and I can track the employees' progress and activities at one glance. - It is integrated with our hiring ATS system, Workable, which automatically helped us tracked any new hires made in Workable into Sapling - Helps in creating their new work email

Cons
It doesn't notify you when employees made changes to their profile - which is crucial (e.g bank details)

Response from Sapling Technologies

We sincerely appreciate your time and feedback.

Although, we don't currently have this functionality it is something that we are building in the future .

Currently, customers have two options. Either they can reference the history event for any changes made or you use Sapling¿s Slack integration which pushes Sapling Events and updates straight into your Slack.

Sapling Events provides complete visibility over your employee experience program and is available to Admin and Account owners in Sapling. This includes changes to employees, documents, tasks and company settings.

We are rolling our change reporting in Q4 2018.

Likelihood to recommend: 7/10

Anna Oglesby

Sapling for students

Reviewed 2019-08-29

Good once it was set up.

Pros
It was easy to navigate and see what was due and when the due dates were. It also gave good feedback when a question was answered wrong on how to answer it correctly.

Cons
It was difficult to get it to match up and open in my browser. I had to contact customer support, but customer support was very helpful and helped me resolve the problem quickly.

Brittany Blumenthal, SHRM-CP

Sapling is an effective onboarding tool - it's user-friendly for all current and future employees!

Reviewed 2018-02-20

Easy ability to onboard new hires and ensure that they have all the right information, access and set up before they arrive on their first day.

Pros
Easy of use and the ability for many people to use it (HR, recruiting, manager, employees and new hires). The support of the tool is excellent too. Sapling has customer success reps who are almost always available to assist with any features or requests.

Cons
The new layout is a little more confusing to use than the old one and slightly more clunky. Once you get used to it, it's not so bad.

Anonymous

Great for onboarding and offboarding tasks

Reviewed 2019-07-19

Onboarding and offboarding has been a breeze with Sapling.

Pros
I love how easy it is to view your assigned tasks and see the progress of current tasks. I love how visually appealing the user interface is as well. It's very clean and easy to use.

Cons
There is an issue with the search function that they still need to fix. Sometimes the search doesn't work.

Melissa Haas

Easy to use and super helpful!

Reviewed 2018-07-11

Pros
Love how easy it had made the on boarding process for new employees and for internal folks as well!

Cons
Occasional bugs when using the software but the Sapling team is super responsive and quick to fix issues!

Response from Sapling Technologies

We appreciate your feedback Melissa. We are happy to hear that Sapling has been a moving part to helping your team automate their employee experience.

We strive to ensure that whenever a problem arises, we fix it right away. Thank you for letting us know that your issues have been fixed in a timely manner and we are happy to keep helping out in anyway we can.

Adrian Moreno

Clean Cut Navigation

Used occasionally for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2018-11-02

Pros
I really enjoyed how easy it was to through the process. Very well organized compared to other on-boarding apps have used in the past. GUI is easy on the eyes and has good flow. When I logged out and back in, was right where I left off. Really enjoyed seeing the team I am working with and all the new hires coming on board with me.

Cons
I did experience when I was signing a document the information boxes covered some of the content to view what I needed to input into a couple of boxes. Overlay was hiding text. I eventually figured out. This was the only thing the I ran into.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Congrats on the your new role!

We thank you for taking the time to share your insights with us. Team Sapling is happy to hear that you found our interface intuitive and easy to follow.

Other than being an asset during your preboarding and employee experience, we hope that Sapling can be a form of getting to know your team and learning more about your company.

Linna Bajoua

My experience with Sapling has been a positive one. It is a very useful and easy tool to use.

Reviewed 2018-07-12

Pros
This tool has helped me start my remote job in a very organized way. I got the instructions from the Peoples Ops team even before my start date through Sapling. It also helped me meet my new colleagues while working remotely.

Cons
It is not necessarily that I don't like but I wish there were more features implemented in your applications.

Response from Sapling Technologies

We are glad to hear that Sapling has been useful to you as you were being onboarded.

We are always looking to improve our product and appreciate the feedback.

Hina Shahid

Sapling makes it easier for new employees to sign required paperwork & upload necessary documents.

Used occasionally for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2018-07-20

Pros
It's easy to use. I don't have to figure out the steps of the process myself. The software gives me cues when a task is done and when I need to move on to the next task.

Cons
It's very glitchy on a phone. I tried on-boarding through my phone, it was very tedious. I couldn't understand what was missing, site isn't responsive enough for a phone.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thanks so much for this feedback and sorry to hear about your mobile experience.

Sapling's mobile experience is optimized for iPhone. We're releasing an update to our broader mobile experience in Q4 2018.

Great for studying!

Reviewed 2019-04-11

Pros
I like that sapling offers college students homework assignments through their site.

Cons
I haven't encountered any issues so far using sapling.

First Experience with Sampling

Reviewed 2018-09-24

Again, I think this is making everyone's lives more effective and efficient. Great invention.

Pros
I thought this was very effective, clean, smart and suer friendly. I really enjoyed the pre-work prior to my first day. Streamlined, sexy and smart.

Cons
There was nothing I did not like about this software.

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are thrilled to hear about your experience.

We hope that as you continue using Sapling the experience remains user friendly and streamlined.

Brendon Kelly

New Hire - Sapling was a great day 1 resource

Reviewed 2018-10-15

Pros
I was hired into a new job, and had sapling access day 1. It was an amazing resource for me as a new hire. It gave me a plethora of information that was well organized, informative and very intuitive to use.

Cons
I have not been using it very long, but no Cons so far!

Response from Sapling Technologies

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are happy to hear that you find the platform intuitive and informative. As you continue using the platform, we encourage you to provide us with any feedback.

Super simple!

Reviewed 2019-04-16

Awesome! I'm a new hire at my company and this is honestly the best onboarding experience I have ever had - and Sapling has been a huge part of that.

Pros
I love how simple it is to create a profile and complete tasks. I also really enjoy how easy it is to navigate around others' profiles and see how everyone connects re: managers and organizational structure.

Cons
The tasks can stack up and it would be nice to have a way to sort them a little more manually.