Trakstar Reviews

4.44/5 (270 reviews)

Jill Elliott

Trakstar: GREAT Track Record for Customer Service!

Reviewed 2016-08-22

Our company was in need of a performance evaluation software that would be available online and easy enough for our professional but extremely busy (sometimes overwhelmed) staff to learn and use. We used to use the Excel sheets and we needed something that everyone could quickly "pick up" and implement. Fastrak was the most advantageous in meeting our company's needs due to the ease of adding goals, editing the staff list (in times of growth, promotions, turnover, etc.), adding measurements to assist in showing efforts and when goals (or portions of them) were met/completed, and provided reminders to those who neglected deadlines. The last item was essential to those who work in Human Resources and did not want to "badger" nor take responsibility of repeatedly reminding the busy and often traveling supervisors and employees who found it difficult to make time for this important effort.

Lisa Cardinal

Great performance appraisal program

Reviewed 2016-08-22

We are a small non-profit association with about 85 active employees. We use TrakStar for our annual performance appraisal program . Our program is designed to have every employee receive a review at the same time each year, rather than each year on their annual anniversary. We also have a 90-day initial review, and a 6-month informal review.

Jill Elliott

THRILLED ABOUT TRAKSTAR!

Used monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed 2017-04-26

Our rep just provided us the second part of our training via webinar; we asked for "Goals & Notes" to be given last June and finally the "Scoring" given today as we wrap up the performance period. I am VERY pleased with our rep's professionalism, and knowledge about the Trakstar program. The way he guided us through the webinar was wonderful. Many employees and managers have expressed trepidation about the upcoming sequence of events, but our rep broke it down very easily and methodically. Our rep has a very good quality about his delivery of information, his voice, and ease of going through the screens as he proceeds, making the learner feel more confident. I already received the videos he created -- within minutes after completion of the training -- so I'm able to share with the employees and managers who could not attend today's webinar. Thank you! I wish Trakstar would create a "Quick Start Guide for Administrators" as they have for both managers and employees, and then load it on the Support Articles page, but for the meantime I am very pleased to have access to the Support pages, tutorials, videos, etc. and can email Support whenever I have need. I'm grateful about that, too. If you allow me one more "wish list" item would be the ability to change an employee's job title easily throughout the year -- as long as it does not represent a promotion that would affect change of goals, etc. When we've had a change of management, the new manager will come in and request change of titles (not duties, etc.) of his/her direct reports. This need is likely common among certain industries and such a change would be a huge improvement. Thank you for asking for our feedback. Thank you to our rep, for making Trakstar look easy to use to our employees!

Nancy Cuneo

An Excellent Idea with some rough edges

Reviewed 2016-03-22

Trakstar is an excellent idea. It allows employees and managers equal time in the appraisal process, which has been lacking in employee appraisal since the beginning of time. As a manager it is quite helpful for an employee to weigh in on their performance. Too often we have no idea how the employee sees their performance until we are having 'the talk'. Trakstar could be a little more user friendly, it is not always intuitive in the way it works and can be cumbersome for the administrator when trying to fix mistakes that managers make. It would be an excellent addition if the manager were not allowed to Archive for agencies that still rely on paper for the employees personnel files. we use the 'archive' button to indicate that the signed appraisal has been received in HR to signal that the process is complete. It would also be helpful if we could set up an agency wide appraisal two level system where the employee first gets a 6 month New Employee appraisal, and when archived Trakstar would auto generate the next appraisal in the Annual mode, instead of the 'new employee' mode again. The last thing I can think of now, is the period of time our annual appraisals encompass. Right now the auto generated Annual appraisals have a date parameter based on the employees date of hire, and that is good for some. However, we use a fixed date system based on our fiscal year, and each time a new appraisal is generated i have to go into Trakstar and 'fix' the dates to our parameters. Thanks for this excellent product; with just a couple of tweaks, it could be FANTASTIC! (for us)

Allyson Johnson

Increased efficiency - definite ROI

Reviewed 2016-08-22

Have had a wonderful experience with Trakstar; it gives the employees the access they need through out the year to work towards their goals and development. Managers are able to work more efficiently and put accountability in the hands of the employee.

Aimee Florez

A bare-bones performance mgmt tool for organizations ready to upgrade but can't afford the big guns.

Used occasionally for 1-2 years
Reviewed 2017-09-18

See my review - it focused on competencies, so as an organization looking to be more progressive, we were ready to use it.

Grant Riley

Bad - Horrible UI/UX that you will pay for over and over again

Reviewed 2017-03-07

Lot of issues here that I want to point out with this software: 1) This software does not do corrective actions or Performance Improvement Plans, they try to tell you that it does in the sales presentations, but this software does not do it. They will tell you about a work around, but it is so complex and contrived that your managers will never use it, I promise. 2) We were trying to get the software to allow us to do a 6 month check-in, so essentially our managers would be able to meet with our employees halfway to their annual review and check in to see how they were coming along, not to be rated, but just a checkup to see how things were going. Sounds easy, right? Well, you'd be wrong on that too, and so was I. They launched into a super complex work around, which again was way more complex than any of my managers would ever need or be able to use. 3) Whenever I first looked at signing up to use this software, I liked the seemingly easy and simple to use interface that I had seen on demos and on videos on youtube. I thought, well, it's just about loading in positions and job data, then I should be off and running with this system. Well, their estimate for getting setup is typically at least 3 months, that should tell you something. I thought that they would just be doing a lot of hand holding, turns out that what they were really doing is making up for a poor UI and UX in their system. It is next to impossible to anticipate where to go, what to click, etc. They try to make up for it with their training, but it just seemed to frustrate me more that they wouldn't fix the clear weaknesses and complexness of their interface to suit the customer. They would rather spend an hour training you on how to do something super complex, and oh, by the way, if you mention to them that something is complex, unnecessary, or just plain not intuitive, instead of take the feedback, they actually get defensive and back up their reasoning for doing whatever they are doing in a totally illogical and contrived way. They need to take a page from Google and Apple and go back to the drawing board with their system and design something from the ground up that is EASY TO USE. 4) Scoring for employees is extremely complex and contrived, just ask them to show it to you in the sales process, you will see I could write more, but I ran out of room, check out JuvodHR if you are looking for a better solution, that's where I went.

Danielle Bach

Trakstar Review

Reviewed 2016-08-22

I've really enjoyed having Trakstar as our performance review tool. With each UI update it gets better and better. It's not overly complicated so my employees aren't confused by how to go in take notes, track goals, and score reviews. All I have to do is remind them about due dates and they're on their way!

Mike Billar

Trakstar is rich in substance for managing performance appraisals

Reviewed 2019-02-21

I manage a team with some shared goals as well as individual goals. Trakstar allows me to work with my employee to track their progress throughout the year. This allows for more shared accountability among the employees and me as their manager. It has helped me to keep not only my staff on track with their goals, but it keeps me on track with my own performance goals. Trakstar is unique and a valuable tool to any company wanting to provide meaningful performance goals while seeing positive results.

Ana Martin

Highly recommendable

Reviewed 2016-03-22

We implemented Trakstar a little over a year ago now and as our organization has now completed the annual appraisal cycle, I am ready to review the software. What I want to say first and foremost is, I can very highly recommend Trakstar. It is a very user friendly tool that has made our performance management process much easier on all users. The Trakstar team were excellent at advising and supporting us throughout the configuration and implementation. Nothing was impossible. They came back on all our questions in a very clear and timely manner and provided the employee and manager trainings for our team. We received many compliments from manager and employees on the quality of the training and trainer (Lauren Fish in our case). Thanks to this tool, our performance management process is more dynamic and streamlined. It is a big relief to no longer have paper forms going around, different versions, etc. Our employees find it much easier with Trakstar and so far all I've heard is positive from accross our organization. It makes life much easier for the HR Department too. As a Trakstar administrator you can easily see where everyone is in the process and can send automatic reminders if needed. Trakstar also produces awesome reports that have proved very valuable during calibration. You can see at a glance whether there may be any rater bias, etc, and can signal accordingly. All in all, really fantastic tool that has met and even exceeded our expectations. We look forward to continue working with Trakstar!

Tony Bredin

Performance management made simple!!

Reviewed 2018-01-16
Review Source: Software Advice

Trakstar's Performance Appraisal software that will help your organization manage feedback, goals, and reviews. You can also build customized appraisal forms, set SMART goals, and create flexible workflows to meet the needs of your organization. If you are looking for a new way to set goals and review performances, this is a great product to use.

Suzzanne Fleet

Newer Trakstar User - we love it!

Reviewed 2016-11-28

We recently implemented Trakstar and this is the first time that we're using it for our annual review cycle. Every team member went through PA training, which included learning about Trakstar. The feedback so far has been great - it's easy to use, intuitive, and will make the process so much easier than what we've done in the past (a form we created in Excel!). As an administrator I've reached out lots of times to Trakstar's support group with questions about reports, functionality, etc. They are super responsive, great to work with, and have helped me find some work-arounds for things that we needed for our company. This tool is a GREAT VALUE. The implementation was very easy, went quickly, and we were able to deliver an online tool that we had not originally planned to do this year. We're looking forward to learning more and make the most out of Trakstar.

Ali Gatling

Great Performance Tool

Reviewed 2016-08-22

Great Performance product, dedicated customer service team, has helped our organization tremendously!

Maree Thompson

TrakStar's Performance Rates Highly

Reviewed 2010-08-31

Apart from the 'cons' noted above, the product is extremely well thought out, well researched, well supported and user friendly and I would definitely recommend it.

Jeremy Hay

We hoped for better!

Reviewed 2016-10-26

We originally selected Trakstar because it was affordable and the demo given to us was good overall. Though this product does the basics, it is still extremely outdated and lacks a lot of intuition. The reports are all saved as PDF's or you can export excel documents. The excel docs are a major mess for the most part and will leave you with hours more work editing them. Once you get everyone's assessment, you have to load the PDF into the employee's folder so that they can see their grade. Though the rating dashboard is decent, viewing your individualized grading metrics afterwards is nowhere near as user-friendly. The product lacks many simple features that we're just forgotten during its build. You cannot update your grading scale without going into EVERY SINGLE COMPETENCY manually and changing your grading scale (ie. going from a 5-point grading scale to a 4-point grading scale, etc.). Basically, there is no way to mass-edit a lot of things in the system. I hope you have someone on your team that has days worth of time to manage this system. The 360-review capabilities are even more difficult. As an admin of your organization system, you can't send out 360 reviews unless you log in as that specific manager's manager. Yes, you will have to continuously click links to log in as another user in order to edit (or even view) that person's appraisal. We've also had a lot of issues with grading schemes not working properly and various bugs popping up frequently, impacting our entire review cycle. The support team is VERY small and leads to long response times which gets crazy in the middle of your review cycle. The new UI is pretty, but the UX still lacks a lot of intuition. Unfortunately, Trakstar is a lot of form over function at this point. They need to hire a good UI/UX guy and a senior engineer to fix some things and then I would maybe suggest using it.

Mark Jury

Trakstar is a star!!

Reviewed 2019-03-21

Since installation we have drastically improved the consistency and timeliness of staff reviews. Also love the goals and objectives.

Kirstie Outerbridge

TRAKSTAR IS AWESOME!!

Reviewed 2016-03-17

Trakstar is so user friendly and meets all of the needs of our employees and managers in our jurisdictions across the globe. The service team are so knowledgeable and so responsive, no matter what they are asked and the support page is full of great information! The webinars on offer also provide valuable training on how to make our administrator tasks easier! Love that!!! Recommendations for consideration in any future changes: 1) I would ask that the "carry forward goals, measurements etc" when a manager is archiving, be defaulted to yes, rather than having to choose every time. 2) Have a link to access the support page after you sign in to the system so that you don't have to open a new page or log out. 3) Increase the size of the Appraisal's window for admins.....we have so many employees that the scroll bar doesn't go down far enough and we can't see all of the employees...we have to print the list in order to see the entire list.

Grigor McDonald

Trakstar - a solution that delivers results!

Reviewed 2015-09-15

We were initially using Trakstar in one part of our business and then as we merged, we made the decision to expand its use across the entire organisation (approx. 1280 people) 12 months on, our leaders and team members now confirm they find the software easy to use and that Trakstar provides them a flexible tool, to support their regular development conversations. The flexibility within the system is great and people are able to tailor KPI's and measurements dependent on their roles and employment. Managers can monitor and track individual reports with ease and staff are telling us they are having more regular coaching and feedback sessions. Because we felt confident in the system, we made the decision to further extend our use of Trakstar and integrate our Competency Framework (via Job Families) into every persons appraisal. This has worked exceptionally well and we now have a reliable system that is flexible to our needs, easy to use and that aligns behaviors from Executive level through to team member level. Our end result is our people are using Trakstar to set realistic measurements and hold regular feedback conversations in support of personal development and business performance. The 'icing on the cake' has been the support from Trakstar staff. When we merged organisations we were naturally cautious as we discussed our needs. We need not have worried and the level of customer service can only be described as 'outstanding'. We would have no problems at all in recommending Trakstar as solution that delivers results - at all levels. Well done Trakstar and the team - you have delivered as promised!

Brenda Dahl

Trakstar has greatly improved our appraisal completion rate.

Reviewed 2015-03-06
Review Source: Software Advice

As administrator, I can update competencies in multiple jobs simultaneously. Trakstar also has the capability to send customized emails to staff to remind them to take certain actions. The best advantage for me is I can run reports to see which appraisals are in progress, finished, etc. It makes it very easy to follow up with staff and ensure they complete appraisals on time. When we used paper appraisals we had about a 10% completion rate. Now, we are near 100%.

Kelly Schwaninger

Endlessly Customizable

Reviewed 2016-03-21

So far, this software has been endlessly customizable for how we want to use it to give our employees their semi-annual reviews. Trakstar's support team provided me, as an administrator, with a very good basis for how to use the system and they've been very responsive with all the questions I've had as we've utilized the software more and more. As we've been using it, we've changed how we originally thought we would use it for employees, and so far every single thing we've wanted to use it for it has been able to do either with changes I can make on the back end, or with changes the support team has been happy to help me do. Our employees appreciate a consistent review form to work from and they really like the goals section as a reminder of what their own personal goals and objectives are for what will take them to the next level as a member of our team.

Jonelle Lewis

I'm happy with TrakStar.

Reviewed 2017-09-22
Review Source: Software Advice

For the money, TrakStar meets my needs.

Anonymous

Higher Educational - Trakstar Review

Reviewed 2018-08-13

The Customer Service experience is the best. They are very responsive by both phone and email.

Sabrina Sidl

2018 Review - Consultant perspective

Used occasionally for less than 6 months
Reviewed 2018-11-30

Implemented Trakstar as a Consultant across 2 companies with very different use-cases - interesting experience in getting 2 work with 2 firms where I play very different roles (Firm 1: acting as Administrator and Manager - latter of which necessitates a lot of changes as I cannot be the de facto Manager; Firm 2: there will be Managers taking over the actual role, Goals and Notes will be used, etc.)

dominique Coe

Trakstar brings the stars to light!

Reviewed 2016-08-22

We were using the canned performance review process that our payroll company provided and were extremely unhappy with it's lack of flexibility. Trakstar gave us options that did not exist with our payroll vendor. We decided to go with Trakstar even though we were paying for the service with our payroll provider.

Corrie Clark

RTC Review

Reviewed 2012-02-01

Overall I think this is a great product, and I have really enjoyed working with it and using it. We are in the process of looking into the Export/Sync feature and purchasing that to link into our HRIS system and cut down some of the manual entry into TrakStar. We have gotten lots of positive feedback from our management/supervisory team and overall as an agency, we have been very happy with the product.