Wagepoint Logo

Simple payroll software built just for small businesses.

Wagepoint Reviews - Page 2

RS

Rory S.

Oil & Energy, self-employed

Used monthly for 1-2 years

The epitome of getting what you pay for

The customer service is atrocious; I have an email chain documenting unimaginable buffoonery. The height of their incompetence would be hilarious on a show like The Office: I emailed to confirm they weren't making tax filings for a quarter (as I was in the process of transitioning to a competent service). They left me a voicemail that unfortunately the filing had already been made because apparently...

Pros

I was initially attracted to (and eventually chose) this payroll provider for its simplistic cost structure: $22/payroll with all tax filings included. That turned out to be false - if you don't run any payrolls in a quarter, the cost for literally filing a bunch of $0s more than triples to $75. Additionally, I initially liked what I thought was a straightforward and user-friendly interface. That also ended up being false, with the clunky functionality not allowing for granularity such specifying which filings to make in a quarter or personalizing reports.

Cons

It's incredibly clunky, unable to be personalized and reports seem designed to be confusing and not align with each other. Want to specify that a tax filing not be made with one agency this quarter? Too bad; it's all or nothing. Want to compare quarterly tax filings with payroll reports? Sorry; they're formatted completely differently and unable to be modified. Want just a comprehensive year-end report? Sure, but that'll cost you upwards of $100. Additionally, the reports failed to indicate my corporate FICA contributions, so I almost missed taking that substantial deduction.

KC

Kaitlen C.

Must Use Payroll Software

Wagepoint is our go-to payroll processor. It is super user-friendly, for both myself as the administrator and for our client's employees. We have 16 of our clients on Wagepoint, and that number is continuously growing as it's the processor that we recommend if our current/new clients are looking for a change, or haven't even started on payroll yet.

Pros

Wagepoint is extremely user friendly. They make all the functions super easy to find and navigate around the pages. Their customer support is extremely professional, and I have only ever had wonderfully helpful people. You are able to integrate to QBO and "push" your payroll journal entries to your payroll clearing account. Super easy to reconcile! Wagepoint submits ROEs, T4s, source deductions, WSIB, and EHT on your behalf. Never have to worry about manual payments!

Cons

Wagepoint is still growing, and it has some functionalities that are still in the works, such as being able to break out CPP and EI in a journal entry for separate departments, or being able to pull in project codes and times from T-Sheets to classify employee's work times automatically instead of manually. All of the basic+ functionalities work wonderfully though. The only viable method of customer support is through email, which can take a while if something is super urgent. Calling in can get you an 'urgent' status, but you still have to wait for someone to contact you back instead of being able to talk to someone on the spot.

JM

Jason M.

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

Waste of Time and Money

Run away!

Pros

It had the appearance of functionality. At first, I thought they understood the withholdings and filings that needed to be made.

Cons

We had issues from the moment we started the setup process (which was not as straightforward as the web site led us to believe ). Many things needed to be clarified and corrected after the setup process and Wagepoint was not available for quick contact most of that time. Customer service is nearly non-existent. But the final reason we left was that their ACH processor, NatPay, suggested our business...

Hi Jason, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience while getting set up with Wagepoint. As a payroll company, we are required to put all prospective customers through rigorous screening before we can do business with them. While we're attempting to better our processes, there are times when legitimate companies get caught in the risk filters. This might be the case with your company. Unfortunately, as a company policy, we cannot override those decisions. I understand your frustration and I'm sorry that we couldn't work with your business. Sincerely, Shrad Rao, Wagepoint CEO

JP

Julia P.

Construction, 11-50 employees

user-friendly, excellent support. Functional

I am happy with this software so far. And I like easily and quickly reachable support when I need them.

Pros

I like the clear layout of all functions, including reports. after ADP - it is a relief to use reports here. Flexible in different payment options

Cons

I'd like the software to add functions: to calculate Union dues automatically based on hours worked (not on the amount of earnings). to calculate HST automatically for contractors To add the option "Vacation" paid to Contractors. Unionized contractors have 10% VacPay - I add it manually every week, together with Unions dues and HST

Hi Julia, Thank you very much for your review. We are extremely happy to hear that Wagepoint has made payroll that much easier for you. Whether it's the good, the bad, and everything in between, we care about your feedback and value your insights about how we can do better. Your feedback will be passed into the hands of the correct people so that we can look to improve our platform.

GK

Gerry K.

Used other for 6-12 months

Service Extraordinaire!

The AWESOME support team provides answers almost instantaneously for any questions or concerns. This type of response and caring are beyond my wildest dreams. Very seldom have I had to wait beyond 24 hours for a response, which may ask for further clarification of the question or it could be the needed answer and action requirements are spelled out for dealing with the problem at hand.

Pros

Wagepoint is very user-friendly and intuitive.

Cons

Silly as it may sound.....the pulldown menus....not being able to use the "triangle" and having to just click into the box has played havoc with my mind. There used to be a "knowledgebase" where you could go and easily find a solution to your problem without having to overthink how I need to ask the question to get an answer, before having to send out a note to the support team. This has now gone by way of the dodo bird and quite honestly I feel it should be revived.

Hi Gerry! Thanks so much for your positive review. In relation to your concern about our knowledge base - we switched systems a few months back, so the KB is now housed at wagepoint.kayako.com. You'll be able to find all our updated articles there for your reference :) We appreciate you being a customer and sharing your feedback! Please reach out if you have additional questions or recommendations. Thanks again! Erika

DW

Denise W.

Accounting, 1-10 employees

Wagepoint is my go to for payroll

Terrific Canadian company - happy to have them in my tech stack!

Pros

Wagepoint support is by far my favourite part of using it; the auto run feature and employee portals are also great

Cons

The reports could be much better; sometimes I have a hard time finding what I need to report on specific employees or departments

Tracy L.

Wagepoint to the rescue

Great customer service and easy use of product.

Pros

As an accounting firm that processes payroll for many clients, it's nice to have a payroll software that is easy to use. Our clients love the online portal and we love that employees can update their own personal information. Wagepoint support is great, and helps us with the set-ups that are less straight forward. Thanks to Wagepoint year ends are a breeze.

Cons

Reporting, I wish list would be that when I find a report that I like that there would be a way to bookmark the report. Also better reporting that shows the remittances made to Quebec and Federal. Right now this all in on report. Also an approval process, so that once I have submitted payroll, that there was a final approval process by the client.

Hi Tracy, Thanks for the great review. Your feedback on the reports will be shared with the team. Michelle

BH

Barbara H.

A payroll systems for all Canadians... even QC

Wagepoint has the ability to process all provinces' payroll, a lot of platforms will not accommodate QC. We had to transfer all our employee payroll amounts into Wagepoint to ensure our T4s would be correct at the end of the year. Wagepoint took this task on for us to ensure everything would be correct. The cost to have this done was considerably less than it would have been if our accountant was to do it.

Pros

The ability to calculate and pay QC employees taxes and deductions. Self service- each employee can control their own profile, in the sense that personal and banking info can be amended as necessary. The customer service is excellent. Very user friendly.

Cons

When you are submitting the payroll amounts, the contractors and employees are on the same page for an overall view of the payroll to be deposited. I would prefer to have the groups separated as we pay contractors and employees at different times and I am having to constantly 'click- pay or no pay'.. leaves room for error.

JG

Josee G.

Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees

Very satisfied with Wagepoint for our ayroll

Overall I have a very positive experience using Wagepoint.

Pros

Ease of use for me and for employees and accuracy

Cons

I would like to be able to call someone when I have an issue that I cannot resolve by myslef or have a question.

Hi Josee! Thank you so much for your feedback. At this time tickets need to be created in order to get into contact with our Customer Support team, but in Wagepoint 2.0 there will be an option for a live chat with our agents! In the meantime, please send your questions to support@wagepoint.com or using the "Submit A Question" option in-app to create one and we will be happy to assist. Thank you again, Your friends at Wagepoint

MM

Markus M.

Wagepoint Rocks!

I very much enjoy Wagepoint - and if there's any struggles or questions, the support team is a quick email away. Their support team finds you the answer and actually helps you, which is why I didn't bother using QBO's built-in payroll... Their support team is nowhere near as helpful as Wagepoint's.

Pros

Compared to other softwares, Wagepoint sorts things in logical places, which in turn makes things easy to find. Learning the layout comes with ease. The auto source deduction remittances have also been a huge life saver - less things to worry about!

Cons

If there was a con, like a missing report or details we wanted to see, we simply suggested and asked if something like that could be created... And a couple months later, they actually made it happen!

MS

Michael S.

Top Canadian Option for Payroll

It is the only payroll software I use for my clients and is the recommendation I make to others when consulting on payroll software. Wagepoint is a great company with incredible people. In the past 18 months I have been using Wagepoint I have had nothing but incredible service and happy clients.

Pros

Customer support is incredibly fast, efficient and knowledgeable. Product is easy to use and thus my recommendation for small business owner's doing their own payroll. Reports are better visually than other payroll providers. Great value for money.

Cons

I don't like the prefill on the stat holiday calculation based on 1/28. In reality stat holidays are bit trickier to calculate in Alberta than a straight formula.

CH

Christopher H.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

Great product.

Very happy. Have recommended it several times.

Pros

Easy to use. Customer service is quick. Good for big or small size business.

Cons

The customer service is email only which I thought would be bad as I have had bad experiences with other products, however it’s quite fast.

VM

Virginia M.

Wagepoint Payroll System Review

Ive been using wagepoint for over 3 years and I love it and use it with all my clients that need payroll services

Pros

Ease of use and excellent customer service and price

Cons

Possibly the fact that I havent integrated it with QBO but I havent tried recently

Hi Virginia! Thanks so much for your review. We're glad you're having a positive experience so far. If you're looking to integrate Wagepoint with your existing QBO account, you can follow our step-by-step guide to get yourself set up: https://wagepoint.kayako.com/article/58-quickbooks-online-integration Hope this helps! Thanks again for being a customer with us :) - Erika

JJ

Jane J.

Accounting, 501-1,000 employees

We use lots of Software. Among them, Wagepoint is my most favorite one.

Wagepoint support team helped me a lot. They created customized GL for my client, created incomes and deductions codes for my clients. Whenever I have question, I always get help. I have learned a lot from the support team. So professional and powerful a team.

Pros

Easy to use, friendly, professional, functional. I real appreciate Wagepoint Support Team's help. The excellence of the support team is the top reason for me to recommend Wagepoint to my clients.

Cons

I hope the deductions can be imported in the near future. I like the earnings import function.

CV

Cyndi V.

Excellent Payroll Option

Easy to use, excellent customer service.

Pros

The staff and customer service is always excellent

Cons

Sometimes the auto emails with upcoming payroll submission dates are wrong.

Hi Cyndi, Thank you for leaving us this feedback and we're so glad to hear about your experience with Wagepoint! We definitely have some of the friendliest agents out there. Regarding the submission dates on the upcoming payroll dates, this can happen based on changed processing due to banking holidays. If you have any other questions, never hesitate to reach out to us at support@wagepoint.com. Sincerely,

JG

Josee G.

Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

Love the ease of use

Very easy to enrol at the beginning, they make it easy to use.

Pros

I love that all all need to do is to enter everyone's hours and the rest gets calculated for me. No need anymore to calculate holiday pay, it's all populated.

Cons

nothing I can think of at this point in time.

FL

Farhez L.

E-Learning, 51-200 employees

Great customer support

I use wagepoint for payroll.. it is wonderful. It pays everyone on time, each staff member gets their paystubs, annual statements etc. Wagepoint also withholds taxes, CPP, EI and submits to CRA on our behalf.. thank you Wagepoint. Recently, my company added a pension plan, the wagepoint software allows me to deduct the employees pension portion from their pay and manages all that as well... what more can you ask a software to accomplish?

Pros

The customer support for Wagepoint is absolutely wonderful... while the software is intuitive and easy to use, once in a while I get stuck on how to do something different from the routine tasks and I am so very delighted to say that the support is fantastic. The support team gets back to me promptly, provide instructions on what I need etc. They follow up to make sure everything is working properly; you don't see companies these days extending their help and support I am happy to have chosen Wagepoint as our payroll software for our company

Cons

Small scaling and interface things if I had to choose something to improve upon

JB

Janine B.

Accounting, self-employed

Excellent customer service to back up a very user friendly product

Aside from the report period variation described above, Wagepoint has been very easy to use and the customer support (when needed) has been very quick and helpful.

Pros

-Very user friendly for business owners as well as bookkeepers -Easy set up and clean dashboard -Employees love direct deposit and ease of access for paystubs/T4's -Business Owners like the WSIB and Tax payments

Cons

We recently underwent a payroll audit and had to produce 12 months of reports. Although the source deductions must be calculated and remitted monthly by Wagepoint on the back end, the only reports available on the user side were based on pay periods. Since my client has weekly payruns, it was very tedious to download each week and the auditor was not thrilled having to consolidate it and try to match monthly remittances.

Best Payroll processor for Canadian integrated SME

Easy to setup, easy to use (if integrated and hell if you're manually entering payroll data).

Pros

Takes care of all fiscal matters, ROE, and integrates with Collage & Quickbooks Online.

Cons

Importing data is ridiculously badly implemented. Logic around hours worked should be improved (defaults to expected work week - holiday or vacation hours). Obscure vacation hour impact leading to potential double pay if not careful. Absolutely requires holding a payroll auxiliary to sanity check Wagepoint.

KF

Kathy F.

Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees

Love this product

Previous to Wagepoint I would use the online government calculator to calculate payroll expenses, never sure I did it right. I would have to do each employee separately and remember all the deductions or codes that applied to them. I then had to e-transfer funds. With e-transfer limits it would take 2 or 3 days to get everyone paid so I have to start on the 12 or 13 of each month and again on the...

Pros

I love that I can pay my staff in one transaction, the payroll taxes are paid for me and I can break down the different jobs they do to show the hours correctly.

Cons

I wish that we could show days the staff worked and add the actual charters they did (the name of the place) this would make it better for charter drivers. Same with school runs, if I could put the route and if it was am and pm or just am and the days it would help the drivers see it better.

JM

Julia M.

Security and Investigations, 1-10 employees

Used other for 2+ years

A great tool for payroll!

It is very helpful with all payroll responsibilities and saves time.

Pros

I love the user friendly layout and ability to use this anywhere I am. And the customer service is wonderful! They are very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable and any problems are handled very quickly.

Cons

We have the odd challenge with any changes to the software made by Wagepoint connecting with our QBO software. But these are quickly addressed.

PM

Phil M.

WagePoint Satisfied

The support teams are fantastic! Timely, personal interactions. WagePoint's ability to respond to the coronavirus government programs and processing of ROE's was impressive!

Pros

Remittances to CRA ROE submissions T4's

Cons

Best practice needed to integrate with QBO for benefit deductions, vacation pay accruals, other miscellaneous deductions.

Hi Phil, Thank you so much for the kind words. It's a pleasure having you as a partner as well! -Michelle (Marketing & Relationship Manager)

CP

Celeste P.

Food & Beverages, 201-500 employees

This software will make your life so much easier!!!

Wagepoint is so easy to use! Friendly staff who will go above and beyond-- couldn't imagine doing payroll without them!

Pros

-Ease of use-- this software makes complete sense. -Great staff with a fast response time. -Love how staff can check their own paystubs and T4s on their own online account-- environmentally friendly and time-saving not having to print them each time!

Cons

Hi Celeste, I'm so happy to hear that you love the app and our service. Amazing customers like you make it easy for us to go above and beyond :) If you need anything at all, please feel free to reach out to us anytime. We're always here for you. Regards, Leena Thampan Head of Marketing & Customer Success

KH

Krista H.

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

The best choice for a small - medium business

We have been with Wagepoint for almost 3 years now. There are a couple of features that I would like to see added, but otherwise the UI and functionality are quite good. The thing that really sets Wagepoint apart is their customer service. I am always impressed by their attentiveness, accessibility and ability to fix all of my problems!

Pros

The customer service and the intuitive UI. I also really appreciate the reminder emails.

Cons

I would like the software to pro-rate pay if I have a new employee starting mid pay period. I would also appreciate the option to rollback the payroll if I catch an error (however, their CS can do that for you if you ask!).

Hi Krista, Thank you for taking the time to share this review. We are actually working on a mid-cycle feature that will prorate the pay based off an employee's hire date, even if they start mid pay period. We'll be sending out an email notice when this feature is released along with some other exciting updates :) It is feedback like yours that helps us improve our product. Thank you for all your support. Cheers, Leena

Isaac S.

Very pleased

I have been very pleased with the level of support I have received. In particular, Wagepoint did a great job solving an issue after the recent transition in November 2020 out of "QBO advanced payroll."

Pros

I am grateful for the automatic export of journal entries to QBO and the employee classing features which help a lot with management accounting and generating reports.

Cons

The setup is a bit challenging and the price is a bit steep for my smaller clients.