AutoCAD Reviews - Page 7

2,238 reviews

Couldn't run this business without it

We are always looking for good AutoCad users. We have Architects, Mechanical Engineers, and Interior Designers that use it. I think if you're looking to advance in any of those fields you need to at the very least learn how to use this product.

Pros

If you plan on being productive and successful in the Architecture/Mechanical Engineering world, you need to know this software. Its been around for a long time and keeps evolving to adapt to the needs of the industry. unlike some programs that have come and gone AutoCad has remained a standard.

Cons

It takes some time to learn how to use it effectively, but once you do, there's no stopping you. Otherwise, I wish they would standardize AutoCad and AutoCad lit cause they don't "talk" to each other very well.

AutoCAD

It has become a daily tool for the projects I take on. I have had a positive experience using it. I make use of it on my own reno projects. I recommend it 100%.

Pros

AutoCAD makes it easy for me to move objects, copy them, make symmetries and place them in another position, this software is a necessity for every architect who wants to get the job done. There are a few softwares that can do what AutoCAD does, with this program, third-dimensional designs are mad and realistic renderings are made. The capabilities of the software are just endless.

Cons

Sometimes the user interface becomes annoying, file can get very big and may crash the computer, drawings can get corrupt. It is a hard program to learn, one needs to dedicate time to learn how to use all the features. Honestly, the majority of the users only use a few of the features. I hope it changes in future

Hands-down best design and drafting software for beginner engineers

My firm got all the benefits, I personally just got to design cool looking things.

Pros

It uses precise measurements and Autocad has been a leader in the design field for many decades. Although google sketchup may seem intuitive etc for quick sketches to throw around, Autocad is very precise and works from a measurement perspective. Mech, Civil and other engineers should be using this or Solidworks etc.

Cons

It is pricey, and the installation files may force you to use and store projects in only certain folders. Also files are not cross compatible with other platforms and even other versions of same software so as 3D printing becomes more ubiquitous, the user has to be aware of the right format to share during collaborations.

Excellen Tool for every kind of architect

I use this software for the development of architectural drawings as well as for structural detail modeling. The benefits of this software, fast modeling, user friendly interface, many tools that facilitate the use of the software.

Pros

I use this software on a daily basis to develop architectural drawings. It facilitates our task as architects, the interface is very friendly but you must have previous training to handle all the functions of AutoCAD. AutoCAD is a very extensive software and once you master the commands you are ready to go.

Cons

What I don't like about this software is the little integration of new external tools, there are several good plugins developed by third parties which should be part of Autocad.

Architects and Engineers loyal friend

It's an industrial standard software. It's important in doing quick draft and communication with other construction disciplines.

Pros

It's efficient, simple and widely used among other disciplines in the industry. I appreciate that Autodesk offered free education version which helps graduated students to catch up faster in their professional life. It's easy to learn and satisfied most of the tasks that I required Autocad to do.

Cons

Can't seem to tell the difference between each upgrade. Hatch is still pretty bad and sometimes printed funny. Sometimes I still relies on lisps to resolve my issues. Feel like AutoCAD is a bit stagnant while Revit is catching up so fast. Stilll experiencing mild hiccups in editing blocks and switching paper space.

Autocad

I use Autocad on a regular basis to create line drawings for exhibit designs that our warehouse can pull. I use a plugin called XZibitware that allows you to generate Excel documents straight out of Autocad to get parts and panels lists based on your creations. I think Autocad is an extremely useful software.

Pros

I like that it's extremely accurate in any unit you decide to use. It's easy to create floorplans and modify them with the help of layers and color coding. This software makes it easy to use with all of the available commands. I really enjoy how simplistic Autocad has become.

Cons

I wish there was a better way to make round objects look whole without using the hatch feature. It would be great if this was implemented, color coding surfaces a little easier.

On the whole, a reliable and feature packed option for general CAD work and advanced 3D modeling

Overall we have used Autocad for several years and have found that despite its small flaws, it is still far in away one of the best options for almost any of our clients cad work. The current build does fix many if not all of the issues we have encountered previously.

Pros

Excellent and much improved interface from last version we used (2011) , also, use of 360 app makes cross platform workflow very easy and effective.

Cons

Crashes still occur, not as often as with previous versions of Autocad, but its still a slight issue. We have had to set our autosave to far shorter intervals to ensure data isn't lost once a drawing is in process. This is fine for simper line plans but some of our 3D models and parts become slower to work with due to the save happening more often.

YESS! I love This

Auto Cad is a great system for beginners and the advanced user. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves drawing, creating, and dreaming.

Pros

I love Auto CAD. I worked as a civil engineer and a Surveyor for handful of years, and AutoCad was my go to software. It allowed me to import all my land survey points and draw my site plans on top. There are so many features that this program can do for you. What used to take my hours to do by hand, now takes me minutes with Auto Cad.

Cons

Auto Cad can be a complicated system to learn, but once you do, the possibilities are limitless. It takes some time to learn all that the program can offer, and the tutorials take some time to go through, but once you do, you will be set.

Easy to draw, time consuming to revise

I think most A/E firms will need to use AutoCAD even if they invest in and use another program for the bulk of their work. Improving the intuitive use would go a long way to keeping it around and attracting new users.

Pros

I like that it is so widely used. I've worked in different regions which rely on various software, but everywhere and almost everyone knows how to minimally navigate AutoCAD. I do wish that most A/E firms would move to a product like Revit, but until that happens it is nice that there is a common platform available to all at a reasonable price.

Cons

There is still a lot of technical and finicky controls that are not easily navigable to the average consumer. AutoCAD is potentially powerful, but many of those capabilities are "hidden" from the typical user. Revit may be expensive, but the added investment is worth it as you can put so much information into your model. In Revit, once the 3D model is built, it offers so much more in terms of information and interactivity and I believe it is far superior in putting together a coordinated drawing package quickly and easily.

autocad

overall for what i use it it works great and once i memorized the commands its an amazing product to use. i been using cad since 2007 and it has worked great for me.

Pros

when working on designs, this software is really easy to use and its very accurate with the dimension style that it comes with. i love all the easy commands that it provides, its a lot easier to draw things on cad than to draw them by hand for sure. the customer service team is amazing .

Cons

the only draw back is the 3d capabilities that it has. its not as easy to use as other programs in the market today unless you been using it for a long time and are very familiar with the software it will take sometime to get the hang of it.

The software allows for the preparation of plans for both conceptual and building purposes.

Pros

The software is somewhat intuitive and allows even novice users to prepare drawings with only limited experience. The software also allows experienced users to create professional drawings for conceptual as well as building uses in a short span of time. Required drawing revisions/changes are also easily performed and can be reverted should the need arise.

Cons

Sometimes the software will get bogged down making the drawing process slow and tedious. This is usually corrected by saving and restarting the program. The software also has major updates every few years usually requiring the users to have to search the help document or the program to learn where certain features are now accessible.

Best CAD software

It is easy to use. I have been utilizing this product throughout the previous 30 years. It is not difficult to utilize paying little mind to any industry. It is the best among the 2D tools. There is loads of customization accessible . Auto Cad have numerous interfaces for different kinds of professionals collaborating with me. For drafter, it is exceptionally simple to change in drawing and measurements.

Pros

I see no substitute software until now. It is an accuracy device; It has all polished units fused; it mixes well with any remaining Autodesk environments for better perception of 3d models.

Cons

For 3d modelling it could be substituted as you can use numerous different tools with regards to simplicity, despite the autocad best accuracy.

Excellent for your drafting needs

Pros

User interface and features are robust and user friendly. Great for 3D print elements and industrial models

Cons

Like most skills, AutoCAD takes time to learn.

Like hand drawing but on your PC

Pros

Its's based on lines, surfaces and volumes (aka vectors) so it's compatible with some other softwares on the subject. For 2D drawings, you can create and edit lines and shapes with several commands, assing layer with colors, linetypes, transparencies, modify them, fill with hatches, etc. Autocad is an almost endless program with tons and tons of commands for 2D and 3D drawing. Since is still the standard architectural an engineering software, is a must learn if you are getting in that ambit.

Cons

Extensive learning curve, must dedicate some time to learn all of the commands, watch some hours of tutorials and practice to get acquainted, also not a BIM software.

Superior Design Program

Our business has solved the issues of only having paper copies of plans to importing and easily re-creating the same exact design with a tremendous amount of detail and accuracy to preserve older drawings that were hand drawn. The benefits of using AutoCAD has revolutionized the efficiency and accuracy in workflow so no project is too difficult.

Pros

AutoCAD has been at the forefront of design technologies. Having work on AutoCAD for 20 years. I can stand firmly behind it. The user interface is well designed for easy use. Integrating AutoCAD not only was easy but improve workflow proficiency dramatically.

Cons

It is very hard to have even the least amount of dislike for anything this product has offered over the years.

Best drafting software for beginners

During the submissions, drafting in autocad is very convenient hence is has been used worldwide. With the facility to change within layers, it is very flexible and can produce more details in different engineering aspects such as structural, mechanical, electrical etc

Pros

Autocad is a user friendly drafting software where beginners can start working with. Software is well advanced to perform detail drawings with higher level of accuracy and readability.

Cons

When it comes to higher versions of the software, a drawing produced cannot be open from a lower version, unless it was saved as a lower version. I find this is little annoying because although there are not many changes in the software still it is not openable from a lower version.

It is a useful tool for me. It is practical, powerful and the best mechanical design option.

Pros

1. A good choice for computer-aided mechanical design. 2. You have the opportunity to verify your 3d designs so that each detail matches what is going to be manufactured. 3. Availability of several formats for printing the plans. 4. Your files can be used by 3D printers and thus carry out the manufacture of the products. 5. Its interface is very friendly. Certainly you need practice to know the advantages of each function and how they operate. 6. As a project engineer, allows you to have control of your projects and work in conjunction with your work team.

Cons

1. It is slow if you are working with complex 3d designs. 2. Sometimes the program is closed or hangs up and some of the plans are lost. 3. It is an expensive program. 4. Although there are some free licenses for universities, they expire after a certain time. For universities in developing countries it is very hard to afford licenses. Therefore, so many engineering students do not have an opportunity to have a deep approach with the program.

Best for Architectural Drafting

The major factor about the software is the area measurements.It helped me a lot to give a quotation for my clients for the floor plan area..in that way this surely helps me a lot to promote my business.

Pros

The work flow and the interface makes the software more usable.we can draw any shape and size with the measurements units embedded in the software..every single line u try to draw has a measurement, helped me a lot to calculate the area of interior floor spaces.

Cons

The plotting phase is more complicated for a fresher..so there is a need to go to a 3rd party extension for pdf created and the sheet size to make the plotting even more efficient than the settings inbuilt in the software.

My AutoCAD Experience

The time I have been using autocad has been incredible, its functions and tools have made my work easier. And I am fascinated with the great amount of shortcuts to use all its tools, which I had trouble remembering but with the constant use of the software now I remember them without problems.

Pros

It is a very complete design software which has a great variety of tools, which allows you to make drawings in 2D and 3D. to use these tools there are key shortcuts that are easy to remember and give you a better dynamism when generating drawings. In addition, it allows the manipulation of other types of formats containing vector data, such as shapefile format.

Cons

The cons I find to this software is that it is not very accessible to users because it is a bit expensive and you need a good computer to run it without problems because it uses a lot of resources.

AutoCAD - A Conversion tool of Imagination to Reality

I have a very good experience with this software. My work actually is related to this software so I am very much a beneficiary. Also I have to design my new house so I use this software along with the interior design.

Pros

This software is very handy and practical. You think of a design of any field from interior designing to mechanical parts, from architecture to construction, it is actually there to present on paper. All the annotations and dimensions we can use in this software. All the shapes and designs we can make.

Cons

This software is not easy to use. It can he carefully handled only by professionals. A common man or layman cannot use this software efficiently or effectively.

Easier and Faster Drawing Designs with AutoCAD

Overall, I love using AutoCAD. If you work for an engineering firm and you do not use AUTOCAD you are really slacking. Even though at first the interface may look complicated, it is so easy and simple to use. I have personally made electrical wiring drawings for multi-storey buildings with AutoCAD. Not just that but also power terminal panel drawings as well as transmission line drawings with AutoCAD.

Pros

AutoCAD is "a digital pen and paper". It has infinite potential and is very easy to learn. Usually, if I have an issue with going about my drawings or I need a faster way to work around things, I get on youtube or AutoCAD forums online or on Telegram channels and I always find the best, easiest and most importantly faster solutions. It is the most widespread software on drawing currently.

Cons

Not much to complain about. It simply has to do with the processing performance of your computer. AutoCAD requires a powerful computer to work with, processing speed and a high space on the hard drive. Contrary to this, working with AutoCAD can tend to make your computer slow.

Nice to use software with a very acceptable interface ideal for working 2d drawings

benefits of work in the area of architecture and construction as a complement to the architecture and engineering project

Pros

ideal to make plans 2d all the work of drawing of architecture is done very fast and efficiently the commands allow you to solve complex shapes and streamline drawings of greater difficulty, the 2d interfaces is very clear and precise to quickly learn the use of software

Cons

its 3d version is very complex and uncompetitive with the rest of the softwares of the branch, performing renders is very unproductive with a lot of dedication time and does not end well, it still does not have a library of tools that allows downloading and using elements previously performed optimally.

AutoCAD for skilled users only.

AutoCAD is a great tool for the experienced user, a person who is a professional or working for a professional. You can produce very detailed documentation, notes and 3D drawings. You can then lay them out in a drawing set, and even batch print them to PDF. You are not restricted by page size, so if you need to create D size drawings this is not a problem. Multiple page sizes can be created per file. Line weights and print styles are easy to customize as well. AutoCAD is full of features, it takes a long time to learn them all but once you do, the drawing sets you create are limitless.

Pros

Lots of functions Few restrictions on what you can draw and design Layout pages for detail documents

Cons

Can be cumbersome on smaller systems hard on the graphic card training required to use many features

AutoCad has been a huge help to me at all stages of my career

This software is as simple as it gets when it comes to drawing. That's not a knock, but a compliment. Having this software readily available is unbelievably helpful. There's not always a need to have to go in and model something in 3D. Being able to sit down and sketch up a handrail or ladder in a matter of minutes due to having blocks to work off of is incredibly helpful to our organization.

Pros

When it comes to designing, AutoCad is as simple as it gets. They make the changes required to keep up with the times but keep enough the same so that the older users can keep up with little to no issues. From basic lines to more complex modeling, there's not much you can't do. I've used many other AutoDesk softwares such as Revit, Civil 3D, and Inventor. They all take notes from AutoCad. Any company that ever has to draw or design must have this tool.

Cons

The modeling in AutoCad is fairly complex and cumbersome. I'm in the Structural Steel industry and we use AutoCad for very small and quick sketches. Anything more complex than a couple of lines and some text gets put into our 3D modeling softwares.

Gets the Job Done

I rely on AutoCad for my business. It is consistent, relatively problem-free, and super relaible. It also has extensive online support and resources for when I have a question or am stuck on a problem.

Pros

AutoCad is a workhorse software that I have relied on for years. I am able to do pretty much all of the work I need using this software, and at this point in my career am not inclied to move to BIM. Autocad is great for construction documentation and planning.

Cons

I think the only thing I would like to see improved is the interface with material and compent palettes. I spend a fair amount of time working through components that are mostly, but not always what I need.