Brilliant Directories Reviews

Brilliant Directories

All-in-one directory & member management software

Brilliant Directories

Super Clean Interface and Design

We have developed a few projects for clients in the directory business, with a lot of hard coding and various WP plugins, but can tedious to piecemeal things, and clients want easy, simple tools to use, and it has to look really nice aesthetically. BD has done a great job with their overall look and feel of the system. We still need to dig into it more and see how well it performs in Google, etc. but this is a great out of the box system coming from the eyes of developers. We are curious about the bandwidth issues we have read about, but we will put it to test. If anyone wants to try their hand at a small business with not a lot of cash outflow at first, this is a great way to test the idea. Keep up the nice work BD.

Pros

Clean interface right out of the box.

Cons

So far things look good. We would like BD to maybe include a little more documentation or video for those folks that might want to keep their domain hosted on their own hosting provider, keep their own webmail accounts, etc. yet still be able to utilize the BD email template system. A lot of businesses might want to keep their own webmail system going on their current hosting provider.

Hey Sam. Amazing feedback - thanks so much! Regarding your concerns about domains and email management, being a Software as a Service (SaaS) solution, we do need to host your website on our servers (which is 100% free). However, if you want to maintain a hosting account with the company that you bought your domain from (e.g., GoDaddy, Network Solutions, etc), you can certainly do so to continue to use their services to manage your webmail accounts. Hope that helps and thanks again!

Off on the Wrong foot

So far I have not been able to get a proper receipt for one of the packages I purchased. I wrote back to Billing yesterday and I have yet to recei8ve a reply . I spoke with Kelvin yesterday as well, and he attempted to make it happened but it was not executed properly and I am reluctant to disturb him again as he claimed to be extremely busy with world wide clients.

Pros

Very comprehensive. Has all of the features I need to make great websites.

Cons

So far, nothing stands out as a dislike, but it would be nice if their was a better library of high resolution photos. So far I have not been able to locate any of the photos as seen on the Brilliant Demo.

Hi Kurt, I apologize that you did not get your receipt right away after your purchase. We have double checked with the team and a copy of it has been sent to you for your records. I'm glad Brilliant Directories has all of the features that you were looking for! A great place to get high quality stock photos is Adobe Stock (stock.adobe.com). You can use images licensed from Adobe stock on your website, and you won't be infringing on any copyright laws. Thank you for the suggestion regarding a font preview feature! We'll work on this and see if it's something that we can implement. Thanks for all of your great feedback. We use feedback from users like yourself to constantly improve the Brilliant Directories software.

Brilliant Directories is brilliant!

I've been helping a budding entrepreneur consider launching an online business. She wanted to launch an online local directory of her hometown with the purpose to improve both online to offline opportunities for local businesses and the community. The only problem was she has no technical background. I recommended Brilliant Directories to her because offers a simple turn-key website solution with...

Bait & Switch Tactics

I have been trying to do business and have faith in this company for around 4 years and they continue to over promise and under deliver. I somewhat blame myself for allowing myself to be sucked in over and over again. I have put my best foot forward and have purchased 3 full license plans as well as Executive Coaching and the other "Never Offered Before" services over the years and always end up frustrated....

Pros

It's a great idea

Cons

The customer service is atrocious

Hi Joey, I'd first like to thank you for your feedback. We take all of our reviews to heart and use them to help us improve our services. I'm so sorry you feel misled - that was never our intention. All of us here at Brilliant Directories strive to provide the best customer support possible and we want all of our users to succeed. This is why we guarantee 1 business day response times, provide an...

Very impressed so far!

So far I'm very happy with BD. I'm relatively new to the platform, but have had my business and website under various other platforms for 10 years! BD is BY FAR more affordable, more mobile-friendly AND more functional than any other platform I've used in the past. I also like that BD seems genuinely interested in helping their clients grow, and provide marketing webinars and a marketing group on Facebook, so BD staff and website owners can help each other. The only negative is that BD does not offer phone or chat support. The email tech team is prompt, but sometimes it can take several hours (or even a day or two), for something that would have taken 5 minutes over phone or chat.

Pros

The platform offers a ton of features and functionality, and though there is definitely a learning curve, a non-techie can set it up and get it running in just a few hours. It's easy to customize colors, fonts, branding, text labels, etc., and make the site look nice quickly. I also like that the platform is very mobile friendly!

Cons

My biggest issue is that it can get expensive to customize beyond the regular features, unless you are a developer and know what you're doing. But having said that, most other platforms don't even offer the option to customize as much. So it's not necessarily a negative. Just frustrating knowing that something IS possible but costly, rather than knowing that something is not possible.

The platform is good, but if you need help support is pretty rubbish.

Pros

Easy to use, if you are a complete beginner with no experience you will have problems. Can be quite easy to customize if you know what you are doing.

Cons

Support is bad. I have only ever had the same 2 people reply to my support tickets. If you are based outside the USA like me, then you will have to wait for a reply, sometimes 2+ days for a simple question. The forum is a waste of time, no one ever on there. You might be lucky and get a reply back within 2 weeks. The hosting is another issue, they host the site on their servers so if you have any problems with the site being down, again you are at the mercy of their support.... if you can call it that. This is a main concern for me, running a business with their software you need BD to offer 24/7 support. They keep saying they are going to make changes, still waiting for that.... I don't think I would buy from them again, unless they buck their ideas up.

Great directory software

Being able to test out the demo software was fantastic as I had some very specific requirements that are not often found in directories. My customer service chap, Dennis was very patient with my questions.

Pros

This software has massive amounts of functionality. They seems to have improved it over a number of years, so you are getting the collective wisdom of directory software creation over several years. Other directory building software that I looked at had very limited features compared to Brilliant Directories. I love how nothing is "locked down". Other software does not allow you to change the code...

Cons

Because there are so many features, it can feel overwhelming to get to grips with how to set this up for a non-technical person, but there is a lot of support available and most of it is easy to remember (pretty obvious) once you have seen the video on a particular thing (technically-minded people will likely find this system a breeze to learn)

Absolutely Outstanding

The Brilliant Directories team has just been incredible. Their support is top-notch and their products are incredibly innovative and carefully designed to enhance your business. I haven't had a bad experience so far, and I've been with them for nearly a year. They provide so much content for me to refer to when I get stuck on something, I'm just really happy with them. Highest recommendation.

Pros

Products are incredibly useful. Everything is geared to generating business for the license holders.

Cons

I wish an instruction manual of some sort came with the license. Something that could walk a new license holder through the entire backend of the site, so if they ever need to go back to something, the information is always right there for them.

surprised at how easy the setup took

Pros

Great designs. LOTS of features built in - very surprised at this. Any time I email in, there seems to be a setting or option for just about anything. The videos helped me starting out. It took about an hour to go through them but glad I did. The main reason I chose this was because of the lead selling capabilities. I'm selling leads to my members and this platform does that best.

Cons

In my first few days I had to email support a lot with questions. But they were quick to respond. The price is a little high but after working with two other platforms... you get what you pay for. There is enough value to justify the price now that I know how it works.

Robust Credibility Driven - Directory Business Software

When I conducted a "Service Needs Assessment" for my Niche Market Project, it became obvious that the Niche has a severe shortage of: 1. modern Cutting Edge Technological tools to drive (CRM) Customer Relationship Management strategies, 2. it also lack (CMS) this is Content Management Systems to inform customers and support customers 3. above all it lacked a well organized networking environment...

We don't know in the first 24 hours

This survey is little premature. So far, I am impressed, but I just got my login information for our account.

Pros

I am hoping the features are what we like most. We are hoping they work as we expect. We are a design, development, Internet marketing and Internet presence management firm. We are looking forward to implementing this site for our client.

Cons

SEO! I asked a pre-sales question about this. They sent me a list of websites using Brilliant Directories. My SEO findings on these websites were not encouraging and I did not get a clear answer or explanation as to why they may rank the way they do. So I decided to try with this one website. I do not consider myself an SEO expert, but I am very good with understanding SEO and databases and keywords etc. [I was a former CFO and implemented many different accounting and business solutions. All solutions need a great [logical] data structure to be effective and usable. The search engines are just logical data structures.] In addition, I am hoping for integrations with Hubspot CRM, but have not had a chance to look at this yet. I am hopeful.

Overall Good but Functionally Lacking

I rated overall low because after a year and a half we still don't have full functionality. Our issue is with the built in Payment gateway. Though my present state of our directory I should have realized would be an issue because when I bought the directory Dennis had to invoice me through "PayPal" as the payment gateway would not process any of my cards, not once but twice. When we first bought it...

Cons

Hi Bruce, Thank you for your message and your feedback. We always appreciate it. We are sorry for any frustration related to the payment processing aspect of the software. Because of great feedback like yours, our internal development team has dedicated July as "Payment Gateway Month" We know that not being able to connect your own gateway may have hindered your ability to grow even faster. We...

Very good, could be better

This is a very tough review as BD has a lot of tremendous positives going for it while at the same time there are some frustrating negatives. It's about a 90% thing. 1) Software itself - tremendous capability and functionality. Somewhat confusing and doesn't always work as laid out. A lot of the knowledge base is out dated and is for prior versions. If BD can fully deliver on all components,...

Cons

Tony, We do appreciate your honest feedback very much. Thank you. This helps us improve our overall service. Based on your review, we will take steps to better improve our support forums and knowledge base for easier navigation. We're glad to hear that everything else is working out great for you, and we look forward to a great long-standing relationship with you. Thank you again for your honest review. This constructive feedback helps everyone. To your success, Brilliant Directories

NO SOURCE CODE

None. Waste of money.

Pros

Lots of features. Their salesmen are good at telling you all the things you want to hear. After your payment clears the bank, you learn the truth about the limitations.

Cons

Their claim to provide the source code is BS. Regardless of what they tell you, they limit access to the source code and you will spend a lot of money trying to customize the system. I believe they limit access, so they can sell you Customization Hours. The designs are way outdated and customizing is very limited. Look deeper at their examples. We fell for the initial purchase and then a follow up email for another license for super cheap, so before I could get into customizing their product, I owned two licenses (and still do, for sale by the way). On the surface, BD appears to be perfect. It is great as long as you don't need unlimited access to the code or REALLY need to customize it (not talking about changing colors). You decide.

Hi SK, Jason Haloossim here, founder at BD. Thanks for your feedback. It helps make things better for our entire community. I want you to know that we care, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. We want users to have great experiences - and we try to achieve this is by listening to your concerns. I'm very sorry you had a hard time editing source code it's one of the main things developers...

Too soon to tell...

You asked for my impressions within 24 hours of receiving my login, so I can't possibly provide a complete review, but I'm happy to answer your question of what inspired me to choose Brilliant Directories. #1 The sample directories look fantastic. #2 You convinced me it would be easier than WordPress. #3 Getting a coupon made it seem like a very good deal. #4 You returned my call on a weekend! As...

Pros

Appearance, but otherwise too soon for a valid response.

Cons

too soon for a valid response

Hey David. Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback. We understand how helpful video tutorials can be so we will absolutely continue to make them. And for certain features that don't yet have video tutorials, we do of course have written documentation as well as our community forum to provide assistance. Thanks again!

Worth the money

I had a few Wordpress themes in mind that I was debating on before I found brilliant directories. Other directories options may be cheaper but I personally think it's worth the extra money for the amazing functionality and design. Things I don't like, While of course there are going to be upsells like in any business. I really was shocked that they charge $247 for a SSL certificate. Pretty much everyone can get a SSL certificate for less than $10 for your first year when you purchase a domain from a registrar and they even install it for free. This I felt was super shady because SSL's are pretty much mandatory for any serious website and right from day one the cost of your website will be $247 more than you originally thought.

Pros

Design and functionality

Cons

Cost of SSL certificate.

Thank you so much, Chad, for the feedback! We do understand your concern with this. There are many free SSL options out there, and still many paid options as well that include higher levels of encryption and security. You are always welcome to connect your own SSL to your Brilliant Directories website, and the only cost you'll incur for this is a $39/year maintenance and monitoring fee. This allows our team to monitor that your SSL installation is working properly on your Brilliant Directories website.

Exactly what I need

I have been looking for a solution to help me build a fitness class directory and I can't tell you how happy I am that I came across Brilliant Directories. The software has everything that I need and more and has inspired me to add features that I didn't even know I wanted. The customer service is excellent, time responsive, helpful and friendly. I am even surprising myself with my ability to set up the software relatively easily. An excellent product.

Pros

There are just so many features. It literally does everything that I need with just the one piece of software.

Cons

It would be really nice to have a visual editor for non-techies like myself that can't handle code but want to make more customisation than the predetermined options allow. That being said, the site is fully customizable and you can have customizations done through Brilliant Directories.

Hi Racheal. The software definitely is packed with features! We do include a WYSIWYG editor for web page content editing, article writing, etc., along with hundreds of point-and-click design settings. As for the techies or developers, we do include the ability to edit the code for some more in-depth customizations. Thanks for the feedback - it helps us improve the software and make it easier to use for everyone!

Best In The Industry

When the Government of Canada, Department of Canadian Heritage, and the Office of French Language Services of the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care financed our interpretation application for the ministry of health, we needed to find a platform that allowed us to easily and quickly build, customize, and manage our website and mobile app landing page. We first tried using WordPress but...

Cons

Surprisingly simple and extremely powerful

I've been building directories for six years now, used almost all of the word press based themes and plug ins, even went as far as hiring a team to build a custom plug in for me. Nothing is even close to as well developed as Brilliant Directories. I could see how it could be a little daunting for a complete computer newbie, but anyone who can follow directions, read and click their mouse can build...

Work Smart Instead of Hard

What could take several weeks to create from scratch can literally be done in mere hours with Brilliant Directories. Save yourself the struggle of trying to find a perfect directory theme, the frustration of digging through thousands of plug ins to find the "right" one for your project, and stop dealing with sub-par support materials and forums. Get started with Brilliant Directories today.

Pros

The templates!!! The near;y "1 click" for set up and modifications.

Cons

That I don't own the template/software/theme after purchase.

Hey Christine, that almost sounds like an advertisement for Brilliant Directories ;). Thanks so much for the positive feedback, it truly means a lot. I do want to mention, though, that although we don't offer a self-hosted solution, as Brilliant Directories is a Software as a Service, this allows us to ensure 99.9% uptime for your website, that the platform powering your site is always updated, that your website is adequately secured, and so much more. You do, of course, have total access to your website and databases as well as the databases that manage your website's information. Glad BD has worked out well for you!

What made me choose Brilliant Directories

Having spent a lot of time researching a wide range of directory systems, based on both wordpress and others, we initially started our project using a wordpress solution. We quickly discovered though that we needed a multitude of different plugins to achieve what we wanted - and with that came our big learning curve. Trying to get them to work together whilst building the site became difficult to say the least. This led us back to Brilliant Directories and a much deeper look at their solution and features. After signing up for and 'attending' one of their webinars our decision was easy and we switched our project to Brilliant Directories, something we are very confident will be proved to be the right decision.

Pros

Everything under one roof, including hosting. Outstanding range of features, but still with option to heavily customise. Very good customer service and a good user support network.

Cons

Cost can be high initially, but there are good offers which makes the decision much clearer.

Hi Martin! We're so glad that our all-in-one solution was the perfect fit for you. Hope to see you in more of our future webinars!

Its a no brainer

I have to say that when I came up with the idea for my website, I did tons of research. Naturally when I came to Brilliant Directories I was full of questions about features, product, services, implementation and much more. my rep was super helpful and patient with my questioning. He made sure I had a good understanding and pointed out some resources where I would be able to find additional information. The price point again was a no brainier due to the additional benefits I will receive. I look forward to growing my business and sharing in that success with you guys. As I grow so will my business needs, I have no doubt that you guys will be able to help me! Now back to planning!! Business Plan and Marketing plan!

Pros

Ready made turn key system that I can bring to the public on my terms. From what I can see in the videos it seems simple enough and no coding is required. Love that it is an all in one package.

Cons

There will be a learning curve. Not sure how extensive the automation will be. A bookings system would have been handy and an easy up sell to many businesses. Something to look into so that I dont have to have a affiliate website to sell additionally.

Thank you so much, Ramon, for your suggestions! We love hearing feedback from our users and I'm thrilled Dennis was able to assist you. We value your suggestions and I will be sure to address them in our next team meeting. Thanks!

Great solution to a membership website

Pros

Easy to customize without any knowledge. I love this, everything you could possibly need to be successful. They don't nickel and dime you. Everything you need one price.

Cons

Kinda cookie cutter out of a box. But very easy to customize

So far so good

My experience so far with the set-up of my first directory is going well. There is a learning curve but compared to other directory solutions, I cannot imagine there is a more straightforward solution on the market, particularly for what you get with the upfront cost. My first project is not a standard directory so time will tell as far as Brilliant Directory's capacity to meet my needs. Pros: lots...

Cons

Thanks for the great feedback! We are working hard at adding additional verticals, and are very excited to now offer event, coupon, product catalog, property listing, and job posting themes! Many of our customers also choose to omit the location search field to create a non-geographical directory for their advertised content.

Have not started using it yet, but have had an in depth look at the demos, videos and support qs

On surface level it seems very comprehensive and should speed up development of a directory site much better than independent modules and messing around setting them up. One Con may be that it is not built on top of wordpress, which makes a lot of our other modules and software we use redundant (we are developers and have many favourite modules we use for various parts of site building unrelated...