Hippo Manager Logo

4.0

Rating criteria

• Likelihood to recommend7.29/10

Reviews by rating

We have had good experience...we were not previously computerized and this was a pretty good intro. We don't use all the features available but hope to someday.
To-do-list allows me to find all the medical records I need to finish from the day, which is great for me. Ability to store documents (labwork, previous files) and radiographs is nice.
Overall the experience with the software itself is great my staff love it and its easy to use. Helped so much with cutting paper down.
Unfortunately since the calendar integration issue was not able to be corrected, we were forced to abandon the program.
It seems to be completely incapable of keeping track of how much tax my practice has collected.

SG

Shawna G.

Pims

Overall for the price it’s a good deal, but they need to keep up with what doctors need to keep their system updated.

Pros

It is very user friendly and intuitive to learn. It’s could based so you can access your records/invoicing on the go.

Cons

Inventory is not accurate, tech support is great, customer support is terrible. When first launched I had an account manager, now I never receive call backs about questions I have.

Thank you Dr G for taking time to provide feedback! We would love to better understand what is happening with your inventory as well as connect you with your account manager. If you can let us know a few days/times that can work we will do our very best to accommodate.

KM

Katharine M.

Hippo Practice Management Software a good deal

This is my first experience with digital medical records and I have been overall very pleased. Hippo includes a lot of functionality on top of DMR, including tracking inventory, invoicing, and scheduling. Any moments of frustration I've had are compensated by excellent, prompt customer service/tech support. I think the dollar value for this product is excellent.

Pros

Hippo is a robust product with excellent customer service and support. It can take a while to figure out the details of how to use the program efficiently, but customer support is always extremely responsive and helpful. I have found the software to be better and better the more I use it. Being cloud-based has been a very useful feature.

Cons

It can be a little confusing to know if the current patient is active or if the screen needs to be refreshed to display current info. The learning curve is a bit steep as a new user, but once one gets the handle of Hippo's system of "templates" then usage is very efficient.

Hello Dr. Mertens, We really appreciate your detailed notes and feedback regarding your use of Hippo Manager. We're so happy that you've used our five-star rated customer service and support to overcome and obstacles that you've encountered. Using templates and item kits and avoid missed charges. We know that once the chart templates/travel sheet templates are created at a practice, revenue increases as missed charges are almost all but gone! We're proud to offer robust features that are continually upgraded and added to. We're so glad you're part of our continued growth and look forward to always providing you the tools to complete excellent patient care alongside practice profits.

PF

Paige F.

Positives and Negatives

The customer support and online tutorials have been great! Our practice manager is extremely happy with the reports section of the software and the inventory is easier to use than our previous system. However, the cons to the software almost out weigh the pros. It would have nice for a Hippo representative to present for a training day before we went live.

Pros

The online accessibility is very nice. We also take advantage of the unlimited storage and attach all of our lab work as well as radiographs to the patient charts. It has made it easier to show clients the diagnostics in the examination room.

Cons

Items put into the chart do not transfer to the invoice well. We have lost a significant amount of revenue because what charges we thought were transferred from the patient chart to the invoice did not transfer. It also takes a long time to put drugs and charges in for surgeries - we like for our clients to have a detailed invoice including all the drugs. Drug quantities do also not transfer from the patient chart to the invoice so every thing has to be changed manually.

Hi Paige, Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. We're loving that you're taking advantage of the unlimited data storage and transferring that agility to giving clients an optimized experience during visits! The challenge you seem to be facing with the items and invoice transfer can be easily resolved. We will have our training manager reach out directly to you to take a look at...

AD

Andrea D.

What I think about HIPPO Mgr

The support group is very responsive and try to get back to you ASAP. Overall they have solved our issues. They have been providing updates to the program on a regular basis so it's exciting to see the new developments and our suggestions come to fruition.

Pros

The layout and customizability of the access to the program. The Dr really likes the charting/medical notes area.

Cons

Financial access - definitions of the reports available. Also being able to pull info from the database ie Being able to pullup certain species due for a certain procedure along with the client information to create specific call/reminder lists.

Andrea, Thank you for your nice comments on our layou, customization, medical records and support responsiveness :) We will share your kind words with our team. I checked with our team, and I have great news: we do have the ability to run a report that will help you with your reminders list in the breakdown that you mentioned. I will send an email to you and support so they can get you set up on that. For the financial access, we have some great options in our online learning management system that may be helpful. Ashley from our training department will be in touch to send you those options. We appreciate you taking the time to share your input, and thanks for being a part of the Hippo Herd! -Sarah

SM

Shaylin M.

Hippo Software

overall the experience with the software itself is great my staff love it and its easy to use. helped so much with cutting paper down. i do wish the support was better especially for how much you pay.

Pros

I like that is very appealing to eyes, i like the icons for all the different options, very easy to train staff on, i like that they give you online video tutorials to learn how to use the software.

Cons

Wish there was a bit more customization of forms and medical charts. I find the hippo software tech support never gets back to me when i email them, I wish the software was linked to like abaxis blood machines and idexx xrays so all the medical records are online and im not having to go between softwares

Shaylin, So glad Hippo has helped you go paper-lite at your clinic! So much is built so that practices can see patients from anywhere and take care of business, including payment, without the need for paper! Idexx is integrated into Hippo Manager, we will have a support team member reach out to you to get that set up for you asap! Abaxis is not far down the line as our integrations are growing...

TR

Tish R.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Nice idea from someone who has never worked in a fast paced vet's office.

Pros

The idea of the software is awesome. Invoices look nice. Being cloud based.

Cons

Not versatile, have to go through company for everything (such as adding a dog breed). Having to go through customer support is a lost cause, you get sent to someone else and forgotten about. Constantly changing. Have their own forms but you have to pay if you want them changed and it takes 3 months to do. Can't pull different items from one inventory. Doesn't work with small and large animal practices. Can't just update weight without adding an entire chart note. Doctor has to sign everything (every medication, every chart, etc.) Everything you do has to have a chart. Monetary aspects are a disaster (discounts don't work, bulk payments mess up, have to individually close every invoice, credit on acct doesn't roll over, multiple cash payments really mess it up,etc.)

Thank you for the candid feedback. We're so sorry to hear your implementation isn't meeting your expectations. We typically have highly rated service and we will reach out to meet with you and better understand the issues you have experienced. The application is highly customizable by users with the right access levels. We can hopefully learn more about these issues in our follow-up discussion. We...

AP

Anna P.

Veterinary, self-employed

Working with the customer service reps has been wonderful. They have addressed my needs.

I was able to hit the ground running with this software with my new mobile practice. There was some initial set up that took time, but overall it was very easy to implement. There are always links to iron out and I am still learning, but overall it is a good product for what I need.

Pros

Ease of use on the road. As a mobile vet it gives me all of the important features that I need. Managing reminders, attaching previous records to the patient. Having a patient view to view allergies, vaccines, visits. The scheduler can be customized to how long a visit will be from 15 minute increments to 60 minute increments plus. Having a very receptive support team to help trouble shoot problems. My contact was always willing to help not only though email but also conference calls to see where we were struggling.

Cons

As will all software packages there is always room for improvement. I would like to be able to print one sheet of vaccine and preventative care reminders (useful for boarding facilities and groomers), it can be a little slow to load in sometimes, entering item kits is not intuitive but a great idea for items that can have multiple reminders such as the vaccines. The mobile interface with my phone needs improvement. Documents do not automatically open, they have to be downloaded to the device you are working on.

I know Clay followed up immediately after receiving the review but we wanted to to also follow up here. Thank you for taking the time to review our software. We appreciate the kind words and we appreciate the constructive criticism. We can address some of your immediate concerns. One sheet of vaccine and preventative care reminders - Under your Client Forms widget you can print off the Check-in Sheet and it will contain all of the information you are looking for. You can change your browser settings so the attachments automatically open by using the following instructions. https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213030?hl=en Thanks!

MN

MArlene N.

Review for HIPPO

Good one.

Pros

Easy to navigate once you are familiar with it.

Cons

Need integration with appointment reminder like texting features. Email does not work, since may of us do not look at the email for a couple of days. These days with curbside assisting, the staff does not have the time to call the night before to confirm appointments. Would like to have added when entering new patient information a place to add weight and temperature. This will make it easier, since we do not use it a lot on doctors notes.

Marlene, We appreciate your review and for the feedback about appointment reminders. We have a new, expanded in-app email feature rolling out this week, and we just launched a robust, two way integration with ALLYDVM that addresses many of the client communication needs you mentioned. Our team will send you a link for more information on both this week. I will also share your note about weight and temperature with out team- you may find our upcoming whiteboard expansion release offers you an alternative way to do this very quickly. Glad to hear you are finding it easy to navigate! We are happy you are a part of the hippo herd.

VC

Victoria C.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Great startup practice mgmt program

As a from the ground up practice with minimal capital this is a very budget friendly option

Pros

Ease of customization, low price and ease of use

Cons

No local download option and minimal lab integration

Dr. Caccavone, Thank you for your feedback. We love that you're customizing Hippo Manager to suit your needs and that you've found it to deliver on your needs as your grow your practice. The great news is, Hippo Manager is future-proof. When you're ready to grow your business, you have access to all the built-in features and functionality you'll want to use down the road, with no penalties on...

KF

Kristi F.

The best choice for us

Now I can check reports, enter medical records, view charts, everything from anywhere as long as I have an internet connection.

Pros

It’s great for mobile practices and exam room checkouts. It’s customizable, easy to use, and cost effective. Customer service has been excellent. And the training videos and live (online) training have been very helpful. Their support center is responsive and open to ideas.

Cons

My previous medical record database had a glitch and couldn’t transfer to Hippo. That’s not Hippo’s fault.

Hi Kristi, We really appreciate your feedback on our cloud-based practice management software! So many features are customizable to suit individual practice needs so we're glad to hear you've put that to good use to increase efficiency at Graceful Departure. We offer unlimited training and support with access to hundreds of hours of online remote learning opportunities. We take partner practice feedback seriously, we address concerns immediately as well as add client suggestions to our update list as often as we can! We are able to evolve because we are agile and can move with industry and client expectations quickly. Thank you for being a valued part of that life-cycle. We love having you as a member of the Hippo Herd.

AA

Alyson A.

Had potential

Customer service expedited all our concerns which was annoying that they couldn’t fix the issue at that moment.

Pros

This software had such potential. Then they began to create updates. Each update created chaos with other parts of the software. So I have no pros to speak of!

Cons

After one update the inventory increased by 1200x. When it was questioned they would expedite the fix. Yup they fixed it by making all my hospital inventory at ZERO! I knew then we needed to look at other options.

Thank you for making time to provide feedback! We are very sorry for the frustration you experienced. The inventory issue that affected your practice was resolved late last year and we really appreciated everyone's patience while we worked dilgently to resolve it. If you would be open to sharing even more feedback, we would love to take you through the current state of the platform and get more of your thoughts.

CR

Caitlyn R.

Affordable with constraints

Overall, the price is great and the software continues to improve.

Pros

The price is unbeatable. The interface is very easy to learn. The software is constantly improving and the company is receptive to suggestions.

Cons

While they are receptive to suggestions, it takes a while to see change. I'd like to see the software line up with lab companies (like Antech) so that the results are automatically uploaded.

Hi Caitlyn, So great to see that you've witnessed our agility and ability to respond to client suggestions and feedback and start incorporating them as soon as possible. We aim to continuously improve our fantastic software that's on par with industry trends and feedback from our wonderful partner practices such as yourself. Our integration list is growing and growing quickly. We've added IDEXX and Antech is up next which you'll see before the end of this year! Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback, we value you as a customer and appreciate your time. We'll be in touch about our upcoming integrations that are launching in 2019 in 2020!

LL

Lisa L.

Hippo is okay

It has been an okay experience. We do have some frustrations with just tracking of things but they are minimal problems.

Pros

I like the ability to get into the system from anywhere. It makes my ability as a receptionist to help clients even when we are closed.

Cons

We have had some difficulties with reoccurring appointments stopping all the sudden. As well as inventory issues.

Hello Lisa, Thank you for taking the time to provide comments about Hippo Manager. We appreciate you being a part of the Hippo Herd and take your feedback seriously. We love that Hippo makes appointments easy in your role as receptionist and apologize for the issues you are experiencing with recurring appointments. Inventory management and control can be a daunting task at any veterinary practice,...

KA

Kym A.

I really like Hippo and am happy with the software

Pros

Price competative and great features, haven't experienced much down time with software, development is ongoing which is great and I'm happy to pay extra for more features.

Cons

It's got a few issues with layout for Australian users..... addresses, phone numbers etc. my google calendar is not working and has been intermmittently addressed and not resolved it would make a huge difference to my daily scheduling. It does have huge potential in the Australian market but needs a few tiny tweaks.

Kim, Thank you for your honest review on how we can better serve our Australian practice partners. We will absolutely work on these features as we continue to evolve and grow our product for the US and global market. Development is ongoing and we've added stronger functionality to built-in features versus "frankenstein-ing" our software with tons of integrations. We're focused on building the basics of practice management, better, with stronger core functionality and we're glad you're happy with the outcome of this goal as we move forward.

SM

Sarah M.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Pros

Cloud base ease of use is great. Glad we can access records we need from either location

Cons

There is so many clicks to do very simple tasks

Hi Sarah, Thanks for providing a review of Hippo Manager. We're proud of the cloud-based solution we've carefully developed to meet the needs of small, growing and multi-location practices. Our multi-unit capabilities are best in class and we're continuing to roll out more features that make patient care in Hippo Manager as seamless as possible no matter where your practice goes! We're focused on reducing clicks - always. With every improvement we carefully consider our users and making daily functions easier, faster and compliant. We'll take your feedback to heart and will be sure to work at making you feel like you're working as fast as possible in our software. Thanks for being a wonderful partner practice.

JA

Jose Armando C.

Our staff love to work with Hippo!! Is easy to use and have great functionalities. Recommended!

Pros

The software is easy to use and have a great customer support team that are willing to help. Once I asked for a customized rabies certificate and they didi it for our clinic!! Try it! It is a very good software that will satisfied your needs because always are creating new features to make your work easy and complete. And the most important thing for me is that is user friendly!!

Cons

For me the time I have to waste writing with limited typing skills. We will try the new voice recognition system very soon !!

Dr. Cruz, We've been thrilled to have you grow alongside us and we're so glad we're satisfying your needs to help you deliver that top-notch patient care that you do, in Fajardo! We are always updating and adding new features and we're so glad to hear that you're taking advantage of them. We're so glad you're a part of our Hippo Herd and we're excited for the growth yet to come!

AW

Anthony W.

Veterinary Software

Pros

It is easy to navigate. I have been able to teach my employees the software with minimal amount of training. There are often updates and new features that continue to improve the experience.

Cons

I don't know if it's my problem or the software but I struggle with keeping my inventory accurate.

Anthony, Thanks for your review of Hippo Manager! We love that you've found it easy to use (our goal) and that you're enjoying the constant updates and feature upgrades so that we always enhance the user experience! We'll be in touch with you about inventory. We'll make sure you get a custom training session and have access to all the resources about inventory management and control in Hippo Manager. Thank you for being a wonderful partner practice!

CH

Cami H.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

Hippo is good but still needs work

When I was using it in a smaller clinic setting I really liked it. It covered all the basics and was relatively easy to use, but we weren’t super busy and had ample time to do all the clicking and page changing and such required. Now that I’ve used it in a much busier clinic setting I still like it but feel like they could make things much quicker, easier, more accessible. For instance having an option to enter vaccines and print certificates from a chart instead of having to go back to choose options.

Pros

I really like that it is al cloud based and accessible from anywhere including your phone

Cons

I find that it’s rather complicated to merge patients and clients. It is doable but it’s not easy.

NC

Norbert C.

Non existent customer support

software OK

Pros

The fact that it is cloud based meaning I could easily access it from home

Cons

The Customer support is absolutely horrendous do yourself a favor and don't bother with the software, the questions are not answered promptly if at all, I have been waiting 2 months for an answer to some very simple questions they still have yet to respond, and I don't believe they will, unfortunately this is typical.

KO

Kelsie O.

Hippo Manager Review

I’m honesty not sure why we switched in the first place. Our old system was extremely user friendly and very easy to learn. I am grateful that tech support is always helpful but I feel like I am not getting the hang of this new system. I don’t think more training will help, I think I will just be able to figure it out on my own.

Pros

I like being able to see both offices. I like the look of the schedule and the multiple options to add/edit information

Cons

It’s not user friendly. There are still many things I don’t know about the software. It is tome consuming just to try to check someone out. If there are multiple patients, it’s very difficult.

Hi Kelsie, We appreciate your feedback and we're sorry that your experience with Hippo Manager is not as intuitive as you'd like it to be! After all we build features and functionality to make it as easy to use and simple to learn as possible and understanding the learning curve is different for everyone. Glad you're taking advantage of our unlimited customer support and training when you can. We will reach out to you to make sure you can connect with us as your busy schedule allows so we can assist you in figuring out areas you are finding challenging. Our online library of documents and videos can be accessed at anytime and we'd love to get a custom training session going with you so we can answer questions specific to your needs. Our training team will be sure to reach out.

AM

Alicia M.

Great Product

Convenient portable hospital management system

Pros

Intuitive and easy to use Great for housecall practices

Cons

Slow customer service Took a couple of months to get patient portal running

Dr. Moon, Thank you for reviewing Hippo Manager. We really enjoy providing your mobile practice with an efficient, portable hospital management system. Sorry the patient portal experience was not what our clients are accustomed to seeing from our team. We believe have the best customer service and team, and want to be sure to deliver on that belief every day. Thank you for being part of the Hippo Heard for more than 2 years now!

LK

Linda K.

Veterinary, self-employed

Great cloud-based software for mobile practitioners

It's a good way to stay organized; overall it has been very helpful and (as previously stated), the support/training team is VERY patient.

Pros

Easy to navigate between screens, widgets are eye-catching and helpful, cloud-based, affordability, training and support team is Excellent!

Cons

NO sign-on-screen available for procedures/euthanasias, few small things like tablets are written 15.0000 instead of 15 (on prescription labels), I can't enter problems myself (there are a lot that aren't on the official list), I can't select the scheduler default screen myself (prefer the "weekly" view), the reminder process is clunky and time consuming.

Dr. Kent, As always your feedback is appreciated and we love that you're getting the help you need from our five-star support and training teams! The ability to sign-on screen is coming soon! It is on our list of priorities for upcoming development. Not to mention that the reminder process is currently undergoing an overhaul. We're looking forward to showing you these enhancements! I will have our support team reach out to you regarding the other items so we can get the scheduler resolved and help you optimize your screens with custom layouts and quick-links so you can get to what you do faster! How great it is to have you as part of our Hippo Herd.

TR

Tatiana R.

Veterinary, 201-500 employees

Good, but could be better!!

It is frustrating at times, but easier than some software. No product is perfect, but improvements could be made

Pros

Mostly intuitive. One place to add all per info and find things readily.

Cons

CONSTANT CHANGES causes lots of disruption and understanding. I’ve only been using it a few months and have already had many issues with how many times it has changed. We were accidentally deleting appointments because buttons had moved. Would LOVE to not have to scroll through doctors when making invoices. Being able to type their name would save A lot of time

Thank you so much for making time to share your feedback and encouragement! Balancing product improvements and change management is difficult and we appreciate your flexibility. We do offer weekly development updates (in addition to the day of release email). Feel free to email me directly to be added to that distribution list - klondon@hippomanager.com. Again, thank you so much for making time to provide feedback!

KW

Katie W.

Yuck

Would not have chosen, would not choose again or recommend. The program is extremely bulky and buggy.

Pros

It is cloud-based, so the ability to log in from other computers, even ones not on the network, is greatly useful.

Cons

What should take one or two steps to complete, takes 12. It is extremely buggy, frequently creating fake charts at the start of the day. Making appointments for multiple patients takes so long.

YS

Yanneth S.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Used to be good but now it is a nightmare!!

Very little customer support. It took almost a year for them to solve some of our issues. We just went by Now with the new version... it is a royal nightmare and I want to wake up.

Pros

Previous version was all I ever wanted in a software for my practice. Highly effective, simple, user friendly.

Cons

Until they launched they new version everything went down and fast! This new version is slowing down my practice, we spend a lot of time clicking and getting rid of unwanted pop-up windows all day. Just to add one vaccine there are 4 clicks involved!!! Imagine if you have multiple patients with annual vaccines.