Instinct Science Logo

Cloud-based operating system for the modern animal hospital

Instinct Science Reviews

Suggested alternatives

ezyvet
evetpractice
digitail

I have also been thrilled with the responsiveness and availability of the support - this is probably among my favorite features. You get nearly immediate chat support 24/7.
I love having all the things in on place. The ability to send records from the platform to rDVM's automatically after submitted and all and all just amazing.
Pawsitive words of encouragement when logging in, they're hilarious. I enjoy bulk editing and ability to set status etc for patients.
The search function gets stuck on a patients name constantly.
After you start Instinct is hard to back to paper.
We can be much more detail oriented. Less treatments get missed.

Lisa P.

Veterinary, 10,001+ employees

Improve efficiency and decrease medication errors

Able to treat my veterinary patients more efficiently, safely, and it is super easy to use.

Pros

The warning if doses for a medication are out of published range, able to remote in from my house to change the treatment sheet or visualize what is happening with my patient in ICU, easy to use, can remote in to evaluate my patients and make changes if needed.

Cons

The weight graph on the left side of the patient sheet dramatically increases with very little increase in weight, making it seem like a huge change when it may not be. Would like it to be a little less dramatic with small changes in weight.For legal reasons, all treatment sheets need to be reviewed and signed by a veterinarian. In our hospital, the technicians develop the Instinct treatment sheet...

CG

Coral G.

Veterinary, 5,001-10,000 employees

Instinct Experiences

Pros

I like how easy it is to use Instinct. Before, we were a paper based treatment sheet hospital. Going back to paper would be a huge hassle for us. I like how you can see who made changes to treatments and the dosing calculator.

Cons

Sometimes when only using treatment view you cannot see when things are PRN. You have to go into the patients chart to see items that are PRN. Also, it is a pain when switching to OM in instinct. You have to delete the previous order and start new with OM. There should be a button to click when it is OM instead of a whole new line item.

MM

Madeline M.

Medical Practice, 201-500 employees

Radiology Technician Review

Pros

Ease of assessing patient care and new activities

Cons

Does not automatically upload charges to our system

WV

Willy V.

Easy to Use

Pros

Easy to use, Short waiting time, very organized by colors.

Cons

So far nothing to comment about instinct.

AH

Amanda H.

Veterinary, 10,001+ employees

Overall, very organized and efficient

Pros

Instinct offers an organized grid layout for treatment sheets allowing for easy viewing and easy to monitor values for hospitalized patients. My hospital does not use all functions of Instinct but the portions that we do use function very well with minimal errors.

Cons

When a patient is accidentally checked out, once they are checked back in, a separate Instinct sheet is opened for them. Even though you can re-open the original sheet, it creates another sheet which can generate confusion. So far that has been the only minor drawback that I have experienced.

DL

Destiny L.

Instinct updates veterinary field

Pros

The integration with new tech and user friendliness is wonderful and easy to learn. Detail orientated without being too complicated. Customer support is wonderful and there is always someone there to answer any questions quickly.

Cons

There are some issues with what we need for our practice BUT instinct is willing and able to help and develop new programs/ways to implement the changes we need.

JK

Jessica K.

Great program

We love Instinct's patient care software and hope to transition to full EMR if our corporate group (Pet Vet) will approve.

Pros

Very user friendly. I appreciate the responsiveness of customer service and frequent updating to help address any problems encountered. Safety features are hugely helpful to reduce medical errors. Plumb link is great.

Cons

No specific complaints. They are always willing to work to correct any challenges we find.

EB

Emily B.

Medical Practice, 51-200 employees

Excellent Product

Excellent. No regrets. Makes management of inpatients so much easier.

Pros

Instinct is intuitive and easy to use. It manages every aspect of a hospitlized patients treatment process excellently. They also have great support services for when things aren't working the way it is suppose to.

Cons

I love the whole whiteboard platform and have very few things bad to say about it. I do find it unfortunate that they made the records management plateform and inventory managment plateform so expensive.

MP

Michelle P.

Veterinary, 201-500 employees

Review of Instict from a ward nurse

I like it, wish students would enter treatments after they perform them

Pros

Love the ease of entering Instict data, really like the RER, helps student better understand how much the should offer a pt to eat

Cons

when a pt is discharged, I can no longer add treatments I just completed and have to add an adendum to an earlier treatment to record treatments

KL

Kaitlyn L.

Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

Instinct - Used Daily

I have a wonderful experience using instinct. I have used it everyday in hand with IDEXX's cornerstone.

Pros

I love the design, ease of use. It is incredibly easy to correct errors with patients checked in.

Cons

I honestly enjoy everything about it. I wish we utilized it more at our hospital but I am happy with what we have been offered.

DR

Danielle R.

Innovative, easy, and evolving

Outstanding

Pros

From the beginning, Instinct was built by and for the 24/7 veterinary hospital. It readily adapts and improves all functionality as well as expands functionality to ensure the highest level of care for the patients all while keeping the best interest of the veterinary professionals using the software in mind as well. Automating and putting in safety measures and improving efficiency for them.

Cons

Automated txt reminders for appts for specialty services, ability to send different reminder messages based on service respectively. Inability to filter on current txt system and/or task these for reply Lack of Client portal for documents

jp

jamie p.

User friendly/Well made

I have only had great experiences, I love the little messages of "updates", the program overall is great.

Pros

I love the easy view of treatment sheets, user friendly, they are always willing to accept feedback.

Cons

None at this time. I only have compliments.

AO

Amy O.

Love this for treatments

It has been very positive overall. We have caught charges we may have missed, prevented patients form being double dosed on meds and improved patient care since utilizing Instinct.

Pros

I like being able to see what treatments are coming due, who is assigned to the patient to complete those treatments and when they have been completed. I like the safety features for drug dosages and the abiltiy to customize treatment plans. I also love the alerts! From disease warnings to patients attitude - everyone is easily informed at a glance. We also catch charges that we may have missed before.

Cons

There are some issues with double charging with Cornerstone.

Amy, Thank you for taking the time to review Instinct Science and for your positive feedback. We love hearing from our customers and knowing that we are helping make their life at work easier, so they can focus on the important job of taking care of patients! I wanted to follow up on your concern regarding double charging with Cornerstone. I would love to help resolve this issue for your hospital. If you haven’t already reached out to our customer support team regarding this, feel free to reach me via e-mail at caroline@instinct.vet. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best, Caroline

me

matt e.

Veterinary, 501-1,000 employees

Instinct is life changing as an ER doctor

As said above-mostly importantly Instinct has improved our medicine and patient care in both our ER and Specialty departments. It has greatly improved our efficiency on the ER floor and helped us catch alot of missed charges. I can't say enough about Instinct. As the Medical Director I can proudly say it life changing for all our staff and has helped us practice better medicine and deliver better patient care!

Pros

Instinct is truly-instinctual...easy to use and easy to train. Greatly improves patient care and monitoring.Any ER doctor can tell another ER doctor designed Instinct...everything makes sense and encourages efficiency on the ER floor.Incredible with the amount of charges that we saved and captured instead of being forgotten/lost charges.Instinct has lessened our medical errors.

Cons

We are excited for the addition of the inventory section.

MR

Mariola R.

Streamlined Patient Care

My life as a veterinary resident has been improved by leaps and bounds since UT started using Instinct. I'm happy to be able to check up on my patients remotely, add treatments and diagnostics easily, and watch trends over time without having to pull out multiple paper sheets.

Pros

- Able to customize treatment and diagnostic plans for patients with ease- Love being able to see patient trends for vitals, weights, etc- Can schedule treatments and diagnostic tests in advance so that you don't forget to add them later (previous paper-based system could only order 24h ahead of time)- Easy to use interface that is also pleasant to look at and navigate- Easy to look up treatment sheets and vitals for patients that have been checked out- Most functions are intuitive even with minimal or no training

Cons

If I'm really reaching here, scheduling diagnostic tests for outpatients is time-consuming in that it requires lots of clicks. If I just want to perform bloodwork, urine, imaging, and specialty tests on a patient, I have to schedule each diagnostic, even if I don't necessarily care what time these tests get done. I wish I could just order them and have a nurse check them off when done, rather than schedule a specific time/frequency.

Mariola, Thank you for taking the time to review Instinct and for your positive feedback! In terms of your concerns regarding scheduling diagnostic tests for a patient being time-consuming, there should be a way around this! If you are finding that there are certain tests that you perform on a regular basis for types of outpatients, you can create product groups in Admin so that you can easily order...

KW

Kristina W.

Veterinary, 51-200 employees

The best introduction in veterinary medicine since fluid pumps

Pros

It is very difficult to pick just one aspect. I love the function to copy my treaments right into my SOAP. I love how fast and easy it is to set up a treatment sheet. Plumbs integreation is amazing. How user friendly it is for staff of all levels. I am so impressed with how every porition of the program flows, how easy it is to read vitals and track changes and to view the long treatment sheets we often have in ECC. I love the accessabiity of the help desk, the changes that are made quickly to adapt to needs. I actually just want to quit my job and go work for them if I am being honest.

Cons

At this point, the only con is that is does not communicate with ezyvet (what a joke of a name!) It is absolutely fair to say I am considering leaving my current job because they do not have Instinct, have trapped themselves into helping above mentioned company develop their white board when the industry standard is already out there. My current empolyers want a program that will bill once treatments are complete, but every using Instinct free standing, which I have done before, would be more time effective than what we are doing now. I am no longer invited to software meetings because of my insistance to use Instinct and my outspoken language regarding it's superiority.

RG

Rob G.

Veterinary, 11-50 employees

A great program. A few things I might tweak, but the best i've found so far.

Pros

You can tell that this program has been created BY ER WORKERS FOR ER WORKERS! That's huge! The intuitive nature of the software and the obvious forward thinking nature of the way the program is written makes learning and maneuvering within the program a snap. A great example is having Plumbs drug manual available with a calculator right at your fingertips. Brilliant and high time. It's also great for visual learners as well as readers. The golden touch though, is the ability to get help from a human via the help center. The people have always been fast and great at helping me. It has been an absolute pleasure.

Cons

I'd like for some changes to be made. The spell check is TERRIBLE and doesn't know medical terminology. Also, when I click on an individual treatment which has been performed already, it takes me to another screen in which I again have to sift through a bunch of previously accomplished treatments. Just take me to the treatment I clicked on to begin with. (This ones a big time waster.)

BO

Becky O.

Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees

Best practice software!

Pros

There are so many things to appreciate about this software. From the beginning Instice staff has been very helpful with setting up and implemmenting this into our practice. The company QUICKLY responds to suggestions and customer service needs. It is very easy to use and offers many tools to make sure you are spending more time with you clients and patients, rather than on the computer or doing paperwork. I would recommend this over and over again. And the Plumb's guide is an incredible bonus.

Cons

I cannot think of any complaints. Anything we felt could be better and suggested so, or needed to find a better way to use use the program they always have an answer or helpful information

CF

Carol F.

Veterinary, 1-10 employees

Life without Instinct is much more challenging!

Pros

Pretty easy to learn, even for staff without veterinary experience. It's super stable and responsive. I totally like that I can reach support and get a real person at any time.

Cons

I'm looking forward to Instinct's new Stockroom release for Inventory Management!

BB

Brianna B.

instinct review

only negative when the computer freezes

Pros

It is very easy to use and to teach new team members how to use. It is very easy to read and understand the patient chart

Cons

sometimes it freezes

Hi Brianna, Thank you for taking the time to review Instinct and for your positive feedback! We would love to help with the freezing issues you are experiencing, if you haven’t already reached out to our team about this. Please email support@instinct.vet or reach out via support chat (chat bubble icon in the bottom left navy sidebar) and we can help troubleshoot. Best, Caroline

JE

Jodi E.

To Instinct or not?

Pros

We love not having paper flow sheets. It has also made communication between departments easier. We all can look at instinct and see what has been changed, treatments due and how the patient is doing overall. From our CSR to our doctors we are all able to use instinct for various reasons.

Cons

Not having Instinct in the hospital with us during on boarding due to covid was not easy. We including instinct did make it work. Going from writing up orders and flow sheets and now having to understand how to translate that into a computer system was not easy. Once we got there we would not go back.

VF

Valerie F.

Great to work with

Ease of use. Seamless integration with patient records, treatment plans, and diagnositics. Easy to email clients and referring Veterinarians.

Pros

Easily integrates with uploading medical records, lab results, radiographs, and patient records.

Cons

We had to wait 120 days for implementation

AH

Aubrey H.

Instinct for ECC

Huge improvement over paper treatment sheets! Instinct has come a long way since initial launch and is great!

Pros

I love the ease of being able to formulate a detailed treatment sheet for critical patients.

Cons

- need to be able to copy/paste vitals/medications individually or pick which things to select

AP

Amanda P.

Great product

Very nice. SO far I haven't had many issues and even better I learned the program quickly! I was able to pick it up in a week, and after that mastered it. I am fluent with the program now and adore it.

Pros

I absolutely love how user friendly this is and how smooth the whole process from check in to check out is. All of the features are wonderful and I never have any issues for it.

Cons

Nothing really. When you try to add a b-day and something else though it does shut down. You should fix that

TC

Tina C.

Great App for Large Capacity Hospitals

Pros

how easy it is to use and understand! It's a very user friendly app compared to some other methods of record keeping and charting in the past

Cons

the timeout/sign out feature, wish I stayed logged in longer!