Kennel Connection

Desktop or Cloud-based kennel management software

Kennel Connection Reviews

Pros

Oh I might mention I love that we integrate it with other computers in my salons it's wonderful to be able to check one out and check in, on the other computer at the same time.

Dorien A.

I have been using KC since 1997, and thru out that time,I have been impressed with the functionality of the product and impressed with the customer service.

Tom F.

Software easy to use and keep a good database for clients. Packages are good features for our daycare.

Fred A.

Cons

Only problem with it is the layout of the appointment book. It is difficult to use at a glance with grooming appointments and multiple groomers.

Crystal J.

Mike C.

Over priced horrid customer service constant emails to pay them more money I am on here to find a better service for when I move and open my boarding kennel and it will not be kennel connection.

Ginger L.

4.0

Overall it has been great. We use it strictly for boarding and daycare.

More than anything customer support.

Pros

I like that they are continually making improvements and updates. I believe this is based on user input. I like the desktop version as we have intermittent and long term (over a day) Internet outrages and we can continue to work. Customer support, knowledge base, and training videos seem to be current. We don't need to tweak our processes to meet the software process. It goes with our flow. I look at other software about once a year and Kennel Connection seems to be the best so far.

Cons

There are 2 items that I wished the software would allow. One item would is one that I would leave over. The first is the amount of warning windows that pop up. I know it isn't this way, but it feels like every time we navigate through a booking there is a window that asks if we are sure we want to do that function. I can see where it would be helpful, but the ability to turn it off like vaccination warnings would be great. The one item I would leave over if another company provided it is custom reports. I would LOVE to run a report that tells me which category of pets (we charge by weight) provides the most revenue. As an example if I changed the weight category instead of raising prices how would that look? I may make more money by changing weight class than upping the charges.

Hello Mike, thank you for the review! There are some pop-ups that you can turn off but many of them are to help the customer avoid making a mistake. If you have suggestions for ones you'd like to be able to turn off, feel free to suggest them. We also offer customizations and custom reports. If you're interested, please call the office or e-mail me at jenn@bluecrystalsoftware.com Thank you again, we appreciate your business!

Great software and support!

We have been using Kennel Connection for 10 years. Started with KC6 with one location to now using KC7 with multi-facilty module with 2 locations. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and his team are a pleasure to work with and always seem to resolve issues we encounter very quickly. The online service portal allows easy upload of data files for analysis and repair and allows us to maintain minimal interruptions to our business when an issue is discovered. The software itself has seen many changes and features added over the past few years and confirms their commitment to ensure it meets our needs

Pros

Overall the software works well for Daycare, Boarding, Grooming, Training and other services. The software is quite flexible once you complete the training period. While the core software is not easy to learn and navigate, the addition of the Live Access module has significantly overcome this. The integration between all the modules listed above is seamless and works amazingly well with multi-locations. The ability to sync clients and packages/accounts between the locations allows customers to attend any of our locations knowing their information and credits are avaliable.

Cons

As a multi location facility the one shortfall in the software is the lack of thriv Live Access module for multi-location facilities. However we have Been advised this is in development. The other shortfall is the inability to create custom reports.

Great software but..

This was the first software that I ever used in my grooming career at a boarding facility. When I went out on my own and opened a grooming salon I bought this software. Loved it, but decided to try something different a few years later. While I know longer use KC, I often find myself wanting to go back to it. Their client and pet screens set up is superb! Only problem with it is the layout of the...

Pros

Pet and client screens.

Cons

Not enough reports, expensive, no payroll, and layout of appointment screen

Hi Crystal, We are revamping the program for the next release, Kennel Connection 7.0, and some of the schedules will be changing. We currently have hundreds of reports available in the system now, but if a customer feels a report is missing, we have customer feature request that allows customers to request features and reports. We are adding in over 200 requests to 7.0 for the initial release. Thank you for your review and have a great day!

Easy & Painless to use!

Been using KC for over 19 years! Support is ALWAYS QUICK to help & super easy to work with. We would like it to be a bit more online friendly, but overall this IS the best Kennel Software out there. We have tried them ALL, & KC by far suits our HUGE facility the best!

Pros

Very easy to use interface. Easy to train employees to use quickly. Customer Service & support is EXCELLENT & makes us love KC even more

Cons

The online portal needs improvement, which I know is in the works, but clients NEED online interaction Please make is SQUARE compatible!! PLEASE!

Great Software and Company

Love it They are always available to help. They always fix any problems that may arise in the software.

Pros

Kennel Connection is easy to use (very user friendly). I also like the fact that the software is always updating and making additions to better serve our customers.

Cons

Since I have been using kennel connection for 20 years, integration was not an issue for me. However, the thing I dislike the most would be the lack of customization a lot of areas.

Too much of a good thing

Tough to navigate - unfriendly interface - outdated design and functionality. We used it just over a year and tried to get over these issues but after staff changes and facing re-train we gave up and changed - also didn't want to have to pay the hi annual support fees and no way can run this without support. It does everything you ever imagine and lots of things I'm sure most would never use - just discovering all it can do is a daunting task in itself. You need to be a detail techy type to love this product.

Cons

Hi Catherine, All the features in Kennel Connection were added by customer request. Since the industry is run differently from shop to shop, we have added in many things that you may never use, but someone else needs. We have KC7 coming out soon with over 200 new customer requested features. I'm not sure if you are aware, but we do have training videos available to help train staff, but the basics can be taught in a half hour training session which we offer free upon purchase. Our support fees are the same as, or in some cases, lower than other desktop software companies. Have a great day!

Our Love-Hate Relationship

It does everything you could ever imagine or need and then some. Figuring it out can be tricky - trying to train part-time staff to use it very difficult. Incredibly detailed and good run speed and functionality but big learning curve to get good at it and navigate from place to place quickly. Overall look not real user friendly and can feel chunky and awkward to get around but to support the great...

Cons

Hello Catherine, Thank you for your review. I hope you have taken advantage of the free training upon purchase and also the training videos. There is a drag and drop element that people tend to miss without watching our training videos or doing some training. I hope you were able to learn the easiest way to get around in the software. There are a lot of options in the software because we have...

Very had to learn & use. Has kinks from showing runs booked that aren't & invoice showing wrong days

The ability to grow customer base

Pros

Customer service is outstanding. Fast, knowledgeable & always willing to help Ability to keep track of clients, dogs, & their information I had previously reviewed this software as Excellent after being asked to by KC when I bragged on customer service but after continued use have become very frustrated with it.

Cons

Very user unfriendly Too many steps to book dogs Run occupancy is wrong a LOT Days on invoice are often wrong & overcharge clients We have to go over every detail of invoice before charging client Frustrating to move dogs because of steps Training program very indadequate Expensive to buy outright which I did because of internet instability Despite buying it, it won't transfer to new owner when we sell kennel without paying hundreds all over again Employees constantly complaining n about it You constantly have to go back & add additional information or click another button. Overall very cumbersome & hard to use/learn Despite Customer Service always being Excellent, I've had to contact them or research questions often.

Hello Debra, I'm sorry to hear you have had issues with steps. The software does work based on how you have your settings, it sounds like you may want to check those settings out to make sure it's set up to match how you run the business. I understand that you have sold the business, so please have the new owners contact us so we can assist with that. The licenses agreement is non-transferrable and that's something in the terms of service which is agreed upon when you install the software and requires a license transfer. We appreciate having you as a customers for the past few years and we wish you well.

Great software program!

I had no idea how disorganized we were until we started using this program! It is a daily lifesaver.

Pros

It's easy to maneuver and not only makes a great database but it generates invaluable reports daily. We are a boarding kennel with both in shop and mobile grooming as well as doggy daycare. It has a package for each yet there are all connected. Very easy to use.

Cons

I am lucky to have a reliable IT person to help with set up and changes, but KC support is always there is I need.

Not user friendly

Pros

It had a lot of features and customer service was helpful.

Cons

I had a hard time setting It up and training my staff. It seemed you had to click and go through too many steps to book one reservation. I didn’t find it to be user-friendly and seemed to be outdated.

Amazingly easy program!

great organization

Pros

We have been using KC since 2002!- could not be happier with customer service and easy of use- I have never been computer savy and have never had a problem or complaint that customer service is not quick to explain or help with. We have a good size staff and all are quick to learn on this user friendly, easy to navigate system.We use the online version and have been very impressed with it, despite...

Cons

not much to say as far as cons go- we use the online version and the cost seems a bit high, but not sure how I would function without it !

Thank you for your review and your business, Becky! We appreciate it.

Easy program

My experience with KC has been a good one. I'm old school, I like that I can keep it simple and personal or add on modules if needed. CSR in customer service has helped me tremendously over the years. Thanks !

Pros

I find this program very easy to use. Although, I'm only using a small fraction of what this software is capable of, I like the simplicity of it. I have been with KC since the 90's and have had no major issues. The price seems very reasonable. I don't have all of the extra modules that are offered at an additional price, however. I like that I only pay for the ones I want to use.

Cons

I was told back in 1994 or 1995 when this program was first purchased that I would have lifetime support. I'm finding that support harder to get lately. Perhaps because I am using 2017's model. I am someone that uses maybe 5% of what this program has to offer so updating every year-two years doesn't make sense. I don't use the benefits of updated systems and I don't think they change all that much to warrant an upgrade.

KC Rocks

I've been using KC since 2007 or 8 ... When the light bulbs went off as to how it work , my thought was wow!, that's so easy... Of course we've had minor issue , But the KC support team has always been there to help, sometimes beyond their responsibility. They are always updating and open to suggestions, I have few, they are as follows 1: a 2nd Text tab (and an auto removal of the () and - for...

Cons

Thank you for your review, Dorien! Please be sure to enter your feature requests in the support center so we have them on the list for the next version. We have kept our support renewal costs as low as possible and in line with competition. It allows us to continue to offer new features in the software and provide upgrades as well as have plenty of staff on hand to assist with support and training needs. Thank you again for your kind words, we appreciate your long term loyalty!

over priced poor service too many glitches no user friendly below 1 star

it is an electronic client card I could have used a free program to do the same

Pros

The best service I received from this company was when I purchase it. After that I had to make a months in advance appointment to be taught the system. As a groomer who takes appointments by the week I do not know my schedule that far in advance and they want to do business with you in the middle of the work day. run far away and to make things worse I paid too much money thinking I got a complete system. Because I was not trained I use barely any of it plus to make things worse ti has glitches that has errors that just shut the whole thing off. I was promised a lot and did not get it after paying a ridiculous price and to get more I had to pay another more money as a groomer it is not like I have that much money to waste on a company with such poor customer service

Cons

over priced horrid customer service constant emails to pay them more money I am on here to find a better service for when I move and open my boarding kennel and it will not be kennel connection .

Hello Ginger, I'm sorry to hear you had some issues. I'm not sure who you spoke with, but we do not require a training session to be booked months in advance. We do ask customers to make an appointment with the training department so they have a time blocked off for each person they will spend time with, but that can often be booked the next day or within a few days, depending on our schedule...

Developers need to step up their game

I've been using Kennel Connection for 7 years now, and I second most of what has already been said in the 1 and 2 star reviews. It is beyond irritating for a program to have the appearance of Windows/MS Office without the functionality of those programs. When a list contains multiple columns, why not make it possible to sort by those columns? There is a drop down menu that allows limited sorting...

Pros

The windows that pop up with vaccination warnings or other notes when you book a dog into a service.

Cons

See my entire review above.

Hello, Not knowing which company you are from as I can't find your name in our database, I would first suggest you update to the latest version. I see some things in your note that have changed. You might also want to check out our training videos, they may be of some help to you. We have a library of videos on YouTube. If we can help you, please let us know by calling or e-mailing. We're here to help. We have a feature request forum so you can request features, a trainer on staff, a full Knowledgebase of articles and much more to assist our customers. Again, please give us a call or send an e-mail if we can be of assistance. Thank you!

Kennel Connection does the job here at Stillwater

Pros

Software easy to use and keep a good database for clients. Packages are good features for our daycare . The online reservation is a really good tool for clients.

Cons

Too many steps,when checking out client if they have daycare packages the whole package is included when making an invoice.

Hello Fred, Thank you for your review and your business. It's much appreciated. In regards to your comment about the packages, you might want to give us a call as if a client or dog has a daycare package, you don't need to create an invoice upon checkout. Maybe we can make things easier for you with that process. Thank you again!

Some glitches

I hate customer service to the point that I was searching for other software to use. I like the functionality for the most part.

Pros

Great for scheduling boarding and has good reports. Excellent for invoicing. Easy to figure out.

Cons

Often vaccinations are randomly deleted. Tried to talk to customer service, but you have to buy an expensive package for them to fix glitches in their own software. Not easy to schedule reoccurring boarding appointments, that feature is daycare only.

Professionalism at its best!!

I operate 2 facilities, and we LOVE kc!! My staff finds it easy to use and my clients really like the email confirmations that they receive with shot reminders. I know that having kc has helped give us a professional edge in our community!!

Pros

Cons

No cancellation notices sent to clients when reservation changes

Thank you for your kind words, we appreciate your business! I believe the cancellation notice is on the feature request list for the next version, but I will double check and if not, add that for you.

Been using for a very large facility and system is not set up to grow your business.

Pros

Ease of learning to use the product, cost, online training videos, email blast utility and ease of emailing clients from the file.

Cons

Too many to list all. The system is created for small business. Do not invest if you plan to grow your facility. It will not keep up. They do offer support but will tell you that if they can't duplicate your issues on their computers then your issues are a mute point. I would strongly suggest researching all software available and go with one that can keep up with your growth plans. Don't find out the hard way like I did.

Hello Nina, I'm sorry you are unhappy, however, our software is used in many large facilities and franchises. We have attempted to help you even though your setup is not a supported install/setup. If you test it in the manner we suggested, you will find that it's not Kennel Connection that is causing the problem just like we found in our multiple test environments with your database. We hope you will give the test a try and we'll continue to try to assist you the best we can. Thank you for your patronage.

Great Product Great Service

I have been using this software a few years now with no problems. Kennel Connection is very easy to use and if you can't figure it out the online support will have the answer for you. Give it a try you will love it!!

Pros

Everything

Cons

Thank you, Carol. We appreciate your business and we are happy to have you as a customer.

Great Tech Support!

I'm not the most "techy" person so I always appreciate good tech support. It's probably the number 1 thing I look for when shopping anything having to do with computers/software. After a horrid experience with a well known electronics store, I had to call Kennel Connection's support to straighten out their mess. KC was so patient & thorough! Paul not only addressed my problem, but did updates & connected...

Cons

Thank you so much for your kind review, Debbie. We value your business and your opinion!

Everything we need and more

Some may think that the "cloud" is the better way to go, but after have an extremely poor experience with an online product, we chose Kennel Connection because they have been around the longest. The online company has control and access to the data on their servers, I don't want someone else to be able to access my customers, yet someone else was able to view my information when they logged in. Never...

Cons

Thank you for your kind words, Sandra, we appreciate your business. Thank you for choosing Kennel Connection!

Not with the Times - Too Time Consuming!

We purchased Kennel Connection at a tradeshow before researching all the other amazing ones on Capterra. We found that our manual system of Microsoft Excel and Outlook Calendar is way more functional than this program. It took us days to input all our current clients and the ease of use of system (including dates) was inconsistent. There is way too many tabs for options - which becomes overwhelming....

Cons

Hello Joyce, I'm sorry you are having difficulties with Kennel Connection. I looked at your file and see you haven't installed any of the updates we've posted. I'll send you a link so you can do that, as it may rectify some of your issues. If you had a client list in another file, we could have imported that for you. I'm not sure if you were aware of that? We have many tabs and options because...

Just Terrible

The Customer Support is terrible. They sell you something that does not work correctly and then charge you to fix it. Would not recommend this program for any use in the pet industry.

Cons

Hello Anita, I'm sorry you are unhappy. As we've said to you on the phone and online, we have policies in place just like any other company. We cannot provide you with a free update when your support expired a year ago. That would not be fair to our paying customers. Again, we are sorry you are unhappy but we have tried to provide you with help and discounts to get you updated. We wish you well and appreciate your past business. Thank you.

BUYER BEWARE

HATE IT AND WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND. Anyone considering it should ask them when their program is out of date and no longer usable.

Pros

When it was working it was great - a little cumbersome to use but it did the job.

Cons

CUSTOMER SUPPORT SUCKS. As of 1/1/21 the system was no longer usable as the product apparently EXPIRED. it wouldn't accept any date after 12/31/20. When I called I got told Oh well - you should have kept your service contract.