LibraryWorld Reviews

Powerful product

Very fast retrospective conversion of 2000+ volume library. The ability to show to the administration what a valuable resource they had.

Pros

I've been a cataloguer at universities and large public library systems. When selecting software for a small special library I volunteered to catalog, this was by far the closest to the more sophisticated software I was used to using. Fully supports the MARC record, allows several holdings records attached to one bibliographic record, provides status reports that reflect the value of the collection....

Cons

The price. Based on our size we were able to request a lower price. I think they should advertise that.

Library World

I only used it for 6 - 12 months. I switched after 55 books to ResourceMate which I have been using ever since.

Pros

Online software no need to buy additional product to make it an online catalog.

Cons

Expensive per year. I could not figure out how to add the correct item to my catalog if there were numerous items or many dates or volumes without clicking on each one individually. Each item clicked on then gets added to the catalog weather I wanted it to or not. I had a lot of deleting to do from my catalog. Michelle Sandler Librarian Beth David Westminster, California

We've been a long user of LibraryWorld and found it to be a great value.

Pros

For the cost, you can't find many any other similar systems that offer online access and be as trouble free to operate as LibraryWorld.

Cons

The system does have it shortfalls in offering some reports, and cataloging nuances compared to the larger more expensive systems. And, yes many will call this a bare-bones product however, for smaller educational institutions and special libraries it just takes learning how to work within the system capabilities to make it shine.

Easy to use for the most part just needs better functionality for editing overdue items

Pros

That you can use many different catalogs when searching for a book, but that does not always work either.

Cons

The fact that it does not automatically update the student grade levels for the next school year and if a patron has a lot of items overdue and you want to say their items are all paid for or to forgive, you have to do one at a time, which is very time consuming!

This product does not automatically respond.

We have a rough idea of what our holdings are

Pros

It is fairly easy to negotiate the software even though the set up is old fashioned and does not offer as much flexibility as I would like.

Cons

Slow. Barcode scans usually have to be saved manually. There is no accurate total inventory. We frequently have to hunt down media that did not record. This is a rudimentary product

What you see is what you get

Our library used Library World for 7 years. During that time we repeatedly asked for added features that were not big changes but would have made life easier for us. They never made one change we asked them make. Technical support is almost nothing. The reports that are listed in the program mostly do not work at all or are incorrect. Patrons cannot reserve or renew books at home from OPAC, but...