Mandarin Logo
Mandarin

Web-based & fully customizable library automation software

visit website

Mandarin Reviews

User ratings

4.6

• Likelihood to recommend9.22/10

See full reviews by rating

I highly recommend this software for ease of use and ability to expand circulation options. We separate textbooks and general library but it is all in the same catalog.
Having to switch between the Equipment, Textbook and General Library databases is sometimes confusing. One often forgets on the first search for an item and has to go back and re-search.

Mandarin users...

Destiny Library Manager-logocaret
listing-logo

Destiny Library Manager

How would you rate Mandarin?

Great Option for Small Schools at a terrific price

We have saved money by knowing what is in our inventory. In the past, we have bought duplicate copies simply out of poor inventory control. Mandarin allows us to know where everything is at all times.

Pros

I love that we have the ability to not only automate our library but can also run our textbook management and electronics management through the Mandarin system. As a small private school, our budget is limited and anything that helps us control inventory and save money in the long-run is a worthwhile investment.

Cons

My only complaint is that it is sometimes difficult to find an item on Record Fetch. The system is not very forgiving with typos and not all ISBNs are in the system, even when the book may be. I also wish they would include Usborne Books in the system. We get many of these books donated to the school and have a difficult time logging them in the Mandarin system.

Very Good Library Management Software

We went without a Library Software Management system for 10 years! Our older system (Follett) was outdated and the cost to update it was too much. Mandarin came in and integrated our database with their software so I had a working database again -- and could go from there. It works with our FACTS system so I didn't have to put in any patrons at all. I've felt very supported all along the way and will continue to need support as we move into Inventory this summer. Really a good company!

Pros

The company is excellent and the support is by far the absolute BEST I've ever experienced. If I email support or call I'm IMMEDIATELY helped. Outstanding is the best adjective. The software is very user-friendly. I'm not a full-time librarian so there was definitely a huge learning curve for me -- and the software was NOT hard to learn. There's tons of videos to help as well. The company completely integrated our old software program into Mandarin, so I didn't have to do anything -- except clean up our system. It's also fully integrated with FACTS -- our school management system. I'm very happy we went with this company.

Cons

I really need to use if for a longer period of time and honestly I don't have anything to compare it to because I'm not a "regular librarian" who might have had experience with other library software -- I have none. But, having said that, I think there are a few things that could be better. To Search for a "missing" book I look in "Status" -- but to do that I have to first go to Catalog and find...

Great Customer Service

Excellent customer service

Pros

M5 is super easy to use and manage however, if a problem arises, the tech support at Mandarin responds quickly and delivers a solution fast so that we can continue to serve our community.

Cons

The reports are sometimes hard to navigate in order to get the correct info, however, tech support is always helpful in working with me to adjust the reports to what I need.

We were sold something other than what we received.

When we decided to purchase this software we had very specific needs. We were told everything we wanted to do was already in the system or that the system would do it. Since then we were told it can't do what we were told it could do before we agreed to the contract. We are going to reimplement our old system because even though it didn't fit all of our needs it gives us more of what we need than...

Pros

Visually it was better looking than our previous system.

Cons

It didn't do almost everything we were promised it could do.

Hi Christopher, Thank you for sharing your review. We are very concerned about the experience you are having. We would welcome the opportunity to assist you and correct the issues you have listed. Thank you for your patience. We will also contact you directly to assist.

Used it to hand link 4 school libraries

I loved the professionalism and the service that I got. After using them in an Ohio prison and know how strong the bid process for companies to land contracts with the state, I knew they would be good for the charter school libraries I was creating in the state of Michigan. After hand linking over 19,500 books with over 4,500 to go and having library aides take over the management of the other 3 libraries while I finished the 4th, I knew I made the right decision.

Pros

I like that I got want I needed, the ease of use, and the tech support they gave for the price. I saved over $12,000 over other systems and working in public schools every dime you save can go toward books for the library.

Cons

That I had to have 4 different logins for the 4 schools that I had to remember. I also didn't like that I had to call or email them for new login for the staff even though they quickly did them for me.

Pioneer School District Libraries

The entire Mandarin team made the transition from Destiny easy and we lost no data. After the implementation we have received superior customer support (unlike Destiny) and the Mandarin teams seems to be able to solve any problem.

Pros

Mandarin is one of those systems that is built for the end user. It is simple and logical to use, powerful, but not overly complex. Darn near perfect.

Cons

Some of the back end features could be made more user friendly for those of us who manage the application.

Excellent product, excellent support!

Mandarin has been a godsend to me. When I first took over our school library, I had zero experience in a library. Worse than that, it had just been built and our average book age was 50+ years old. On top of all that, we had just started adding curriculum to the mandarin system. Our previous librarian wasn’t sure on how to do that and she had added about 1/4 of the curriculum and done it wrong. I had...

Pros

I like that once you get to know it, you can really maneuver around the program very easily. I’ve rarely ever experienced the website being down, never during school hours. It takes all the work out of circulation. All I have to do is scan and shelve.

Cons

In the catalogue feature, when you’re adding or editing a single book, the fields are all numbered and not easy to know what you are doing. I would love to see that small feature become as modernized and easy to use as the rest of the program. With that said, it is easy enough to figure out, it just takes some time and since we don’t use it often, I have to get help every time I do use it.

Mandarin is Convenient for Online users

Mandarin has helped patrons to access the contents of the library collection in the comfort of their homes. Information is simply a click away.

Pros

Mandarin is a server based software. This makes it cheap. With one license, numerous client computers access the application. Therefore, patrons access the library collection through the client computers. I have noticed that members of Technical Service Department of the library speed up work all thanks to client-server functionality on Mandarin. Patrons are able to access the library collection...

Cons

Much as the software is efficient, less developed communities with poor internet infrastucture may find the software irritating due to internet connectivity issues. Beside, not all titles can be found on record Fetch. This compels catalogues to look for alternative sources of information. This process consumes time

I Love Mandarin

The switch to Mandarin from RenWeb library was a breeze. They handled all of it on their end. After a small learning curve I was up and running, with SO many more tools at my disposal than I ever had before... things I didn't even know I needed but now couldn't imagine going without. We used RenWeb because it was built-in to the SIS we already paying for. It was EXTREMELY bare bones, but it was free. Mandarin was an enormous step up at a great price. I wish I had switched sooner.

Pros

Easy to use. Value for the money. Quick response to customer service inquiries. Records (new enrollments) automatically update from SIS (FACTS/RenWeb). Record Fetch is great!

Cons

OPAC not customizable enough. Financials do not integrate with SIS (FACTS/RenWeb).

Happy librarian

Pros

This product was so easy to integrate, very stress free. I really do like the support that is offered. Always quick to respond and helpful in finding solutions.

Cons

I still am unable to get lists of holdings and other things like that to work.

School Library Complete Solutions - Amazing Ability to Meet Your Students/Staff Needs

Mandarin Library creates a public face for our school that expands the resources that we can house on campus. It is a great marketing tool of academic resources that we can easily put within student/parent reach. I love the customized look I can give to my home page. Mandarin Library is a fun and intuitive program that meet budgetary constaints while allowing me to expand in new ways. I was nervous about learning a new system and found the changes made everything easier in library management. Again, Technical Support is a phone call away and they are the most patient, kind staff of experts that speaks volumes about this company.

Pros

We are a Classical School Pre-K thru 12 - This software has made my job easier and saves me time. The transition from our old system to Mandarin was amazing. I was happy with the ease of implementing the new system and tech support patiently guided any questions. I can't say enough good things about tech support - I love the speed & ease of inputting new records and barcodes for classroom sets of...

Cons

What is there not to like? I love this software!!!

Mandarin Snapshot

Mandarin provides an affordable and easy-to-implement integrated library package (cataloging, circulation, public access interface). It continues to offer more features and the IT support department has been very helpful when a bit of tweaking is needed.

Pros

Versatile library automation with room to accommodate new features. Good software support - very available. Great price for small libraries.

Cons

This company's products are geared for elementary and high schools. The OPAC features reading-level categories which are not necessary for specialized libraries and those serving adults. However these features can be removed by Mandarin support. There are some problems in the cataloging software when adding subsequent subdivisions (involving punctuation). But these can be worked around. It would be great to have more options for the public visual search interface (like font style, colors, etc.) and general layout.

Great System

My overall experience with Mandarin has been wonderful. My questions are always quick to be answered. I would definitely recommend Mandarin to anyone who is looking for a new system for their library cataloging.

Pros

We came from using RenWeb for our Library Catalog and Patron Services. There's been a bit of learning curve, but Mandarin is so much easier to use than our previous system. Inputting new items into the catalog is so much easier than the previous system. It takes me a fraction of the time that I used to spend.

Cons

I don't like that I can't print library cards with our student's pictures on them. But, I can still print them in RenWeb with a barcode, so that's really nice. I also wish that the pictures were easier to update. School pictures don't come in until Mid to Late October and I don't have access to them. So new students don't have their pictures updated and continuing students don't have their new...

Mandarin Review

Inventory issues and also daily transactions that can be so overwhelming

Pros

It is easy use read and getting used to also there is less complications when performing daily transactions by just scanning a barcode

Cons

a more modernized user interface

Software and Support Designed for the Busy Librarian

We were required to switch from our current library software because the provider was discontinuing the service.

Pros

First, the purchase process which was simple, helpful and professional. Second, the installation process: loading my library data, testing and support - especially the webinar presentation and followup. Third, technical support: rapid, on-time and professional. I got a call or e-mail with a rapid and complete response.

Cons

Well, it's hard to find an issue, but what I would improve is the searchability and content of the online resources. I had a question about cataloging serial publications and couldn't access what I wanted.

Change

I have had a great experience with Mandarin. Anytime I've needed help, the tech department has been quick to help me. They guide me in ways that are easy to incorporate on my end. They also are very mindful of things that need to be fixed on their end. The cost is wonderful. This system is worth every penny. My overall experience has been wonderful! For a lady who doesn't like change, Mandarin has been a great help!

Pros

What I like most about the software is the ease of the transition from one system to another. Our school had to change from another system. Mandarin was the best choice for our school for a change that wasn't an option. I find features in M5 that I never had in the other system. My favorite is the ability to add new books to the system with ease.

Cons

This is not so much an issue for people who do understand code. But I had a bit of an issue with it at the beginning. I am learning what each number stands for and how to utilize it when I'm adding an item or updating something in the system.

Works well for our school

Pros

Our school has used Mandarin for a long time. This fall, we upgraded to the latest version. The upgrade was worth it! Our new Mandarin has a fresh, updated look. Many of the features have been streamlined and are easy to use. No more clicking between multiple screens! I can do more work more efficiently! Downloading records is super easy. Purging books from the system is also super simple.

Cons

I was looking forward to printing off spine labels and pocket labels from my new Mandarin. However, the spine labels only print on a certain kind of label. I'm having trouble finding that specific label, so I continue to type my own. The pocket labels come out blurry. I experimented with both those types of labels on Mandarin with no luck.

Very pleased

Mandarin has made importing MARC records easier. The set up for the spine label makes more since and more of what I wanted that our old software did not offer. When asking for tech support they are very prompt to respond and get back if they want to clarify a request. The tech support guys are the best.

Pros

I liked that they were so accommodating when we had to switch over from our other software in such a short time. They have been very patient with any questions or requests I have requested. I do not have a Library degree so I am probably not using it to its full potential. So glad to be able to print my own barcodes and spine labels. The barcodes have the title, author, school name and call # included.

Cons

Sometimes I have to log-in again, but that could possible be our internet server. Because I do not have a Library degree I am not sure what all the code are for, but I am sure if I asked they would help me. I just have not had time to ask. The Webex was informative, but too much information, too fast. I would have like a more interactive option. But you can join a group as many times as you want.

Easy & Affordable

It's fairly straight forward and easy to use. The help staff is amazing! If you have a problem, can't remember how to do something, or need assistance, they are there to help and take care of things in a timely manner.

Pros

For a small to mid-range school library, this is a great budget-friendly automation program. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it meets our needs adequately.

Cons

It's a bit time-consuming and ponderous to set up at the beginning of each school year. The reserving a book part doesn't seem to work well for me.

Robust and user friendly system

I inherited a very poorly cataloged collection: corrupt classification, lost records, level one (or less) catalog- ing, lack of subject headings... The MLA system empowers me to provide the best bibliographic database I can create for my students. Price point is exceptional, MLA system is user-friendly, robust and secure. I am one happy catalog librarian.

Pros

The learning curve made for a very easy transition to learn the system and get to work. I did reports, inventory, edits of existing records and learned to use "Fetch" for my MARC cataloging needs in a very short time. I am delighted that the system adheres to national standards in bibliographic MARC. I feel secure with the MLA system that my work will not be corrupted or lost at anytime.

Cons

As an experienced professional cataloger, I would like to see the policies that govern the system to better understand display functions.

Mandarin for Libraries

Mandarin's Tech support is great!!!

Pros

We were already using Madarain M3 to the switch to M% was seamless. Staff were able to adjust to the new platform quickly. We really like the cataloguing module. Very user friendly and the online OPAC is great as well.

Cons

Patrons are not yet able to transfer books from their reading lists to their reserve list. I would like to see an easier method for patrons to reserve books with one click.

Mandarin (M5) Works for us

1. Not tried 'Inventory' yet. How do we stock-take using a 'databar reader' to scan books on shelves 2. Like running statistical reports for institutional reports 3. Need to spare time to fully explore and familiarize myself and my team on all aspects and modules of M5 4. Need to recreate home page of our CMI M5 to include all Collections held in the library

Pros

Using its Main Search interface for copy cataloging, especially running "Record Searches".

Cons

Groups Modules - seems very complicated.

Easy library software

From the first point of my inquiries the Mandarin employees have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The concept that the first contact should know the product well made Mandarin stand out above the other companies I investigated. The technical support during and beyond implementation has also been outstanding showing that they really care about our library and our users.

Pros

This library software is easy to use and easy to train students and staff to use. The ability to quickly download catalog records from Library of Congress or other libraries is extremely helpful. Whenever I need to create a record that can't be downloaded, an exceptional template is available. If I need to edit a record all of the MARC record fields and subfields show as options for insertion; and it is very easy to delete an unwanted field.

Cons

When there are multiple call numbers on one record the call number should be absent from the results page, instead a note to 'see holdings'.

Mandarin

Excellent! As always, the technical support team at Mandarin is outstanding. Their response speed, willingness to help, follow through, and accessibility is the best.

Pros

Easy to use, M5 Reports seems easier than old method

Cons

Would like more kid friendly features, such as video book trailer ability

VERSATILE TOOL FOR LIBRARIES AND FILES

Your online technical support is fast and effective

Pros

This quick tool facilitates your work by its great search capacity, oriented to the format of those we know on the web

Cons

Taking into account that the software is quite complete, there are functions that could be changed and give more information to the material or document that is already expired or that is no longer being used

Thank you Jorge. We appreciate your feedback.